InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ ForgetMeNot ❯ Perhaps ( Chapter 6 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Forget-Me-Not

By: Youkai Yume

I finally got around to writing this. Although I was planning to put this off further. I can totally sympathize with other authors now about updating. We just don't wanna do it! But we gotta get off our lazy asses sometimes, or our readers will do well to threaten us with- I hope to never find out! Here's the next chapter, enjoy!

Disclaimer: Let's be smart about this pplz.

Chapter 6: Perhaps

The wind blew gently, caressing his flawless face and swaying his silver tresses in a rhythmic dance in the air. Sesshomaru stood upon his balcony, overlooking his lands with an intense gaze. His mind wandered though, to that of an enigmatic girl with midnight locks and deep liquid blue eyes.

He shook his head in slight frustration. It had been a week now, and still she continued to plague his mind in every single waking moment. Not even in his sleep could he find salvation, for she would be there to haunt him in his dreams as well. He closed his eyes, recalling the dream he had of her just the other night.

~ ^_^ ~

Sesshomaru lay in a field, abundant with flowers of every sort and color. The sky was clear, with a few clouds floating across it. A sakura tree was shading him from the midday sun that hung in the sky, scattering its blossoms to the wind.

His eyes were closed, and he felt oddly comfortable and at peace. This place had a pleasant scent to it too. Sakura blossoms and jasmine. . .wait. He noticed that his head was cushioned with some type of pillow. He hesitantly opened his eyes only to see a figure of a girl hovering above him. His eyes widened when he realized the girl was none other than Kagome, and that he was resting his head on HER lap!

She gave him one of her warm smiles, and gently ran her fingers through his silky hair. Sesshomaru willed himself to move away, but found that he couldn't on account that he was frozen to the spot. Instead, he began to relax into her, and realized that he quite liked feeling her fingers in his hair.

He began to purr, much to his own surprise, and closed his eyes, relishing her touch. Sesshomaru heard her giggle, the sound ringing pleasantly in his ears. His eyes snapped back open to look into her eyes, which were full of warmth and mirth. Somehow, he didn't want to hide himself behind his cold façade here. For some unexplainable reason, he wanted her to see. . .see what? He wasn't entirely sure himself.

"Sesshomaru," he heard Kagome say his name, her voice almost like a melody. He blinked, his attention fully on her. "If you and I had met under different circumstances, could we have been friends?" She looked down at him with kind eyes, although he could sense a bit of longing in her voice.

"Perhaps," he answered, still in his indifferent tone. "But we cannot change the past, and so it does not do well to indulge in such wishes." He heard her giggle again, and stared at her. `What was so funny?'

"Oh Sessho-chan, even in here you refuse to show yourself to me, even though I can see quite plainly that you do." He glared at her. `Is she mocking me?' He saw Kagome ignore his gaze however, and averted her eyes to the surrounding beauty of the dream.

"When I die, I want to be reincarnated into a bird, so I can just fly away," Sesshomaru continued to gaze at her, waiting patiently for her to go on. "That way, I can just escape from everything. The responsibility of the Shikon no Tama, of having to balance two lives," she paused, a look of sadness tainting her eyes, " and the pain of loving one who does not see."

Sesshomaru felt a growl beginning to rise in his chest. `Even in a dream she thinks of my bastard half-brother!' He turned his attention back to her when she continued talking.

"I want to escape the sorrow, maybe fly to a place exactly like this. . .a place where I can find. . . you." He lay there shocked. Did she mean. . ? `No, impossible.' Sesshomaru turned away from her, trying to block her out, but failed when he felt her warm hands caressing his face, and turned his head so that he was forced to look at her again. Kagome was tracing his features, lightly going over the stripes on his cheeks, and then to the crescent moon on his forehead. He once again felt the tingling sensation that came from the brush of her fingers.

Suddenly, he felt something moist fall onto his cheek. He looked up at her to find that she was crying. Tears were sliding from her cerulean orbs and falling onto his face. `Why is she crying?' He wanted to know. It pained him to see her like this, and at the moment, he wanted nothing more than to stop her from shedding any more tears.

He reached out to wipe the salty droplets away, but just as he was about to make contact, everything became fuzzy and distorted, throwing him out of the ending dream.

~ ^_^ ~

That dream had left him troubled all morning. Sesshomaru paced back and forth. It doesn't make any sense! What meaning did it hold? And why is it now that he was beginning to have these dreams? Most of all, why was SHE in it?! He growled in frustration. When he left, he was sure that whatever effect the girl had on him would disappear as well, but now, it only seems to have grown ten fold.

Sesshomaru had willed himself to hate her, but failed miserably, he couldn't. God help him why he couldn't. He left the balcony, and entered the library, where shelves upon shelves were packed with books. Sesshomaru walked past them though, and instead went to a desk in the corner, and picked up an old leather bound book that was placed on it.

He opened it, and flipped through the pages until he came to a page that he had book marked with. . .a blue forget-me-not flower. He carefully took it out of the book and examined it. This was the same flower that Kagome had given him the week before. Sesshomaru wasn't sure either why he had decided to preserve it, and did his best not to think about why, for every time that he did, he would become angry and disgusted with himself.

"Forget-Me-Not" that was what Kagome had called it. `How fitting,' he mused, turning the delicate flower over. Every time he looked at it, he was reminded of her cerulean depths. It taunted him, reminded him of the constant fact that he could not forget about the miko.

Oh, how badly he wanted to just forget, to erase the vision of her haunting smile away from his memory forever. And yet, the thought of forgetting her saddened him. He didn't want to forget her heavenly scent. Yes, he admitted it was heavenly, and what's more, he discovered that he slept easier when he was surrounded by her scent. Oddly enough, he found that he had missed it upon the first night that he came back home.

Was that why he still kept this flower, even now?

"Remember me, ne?" Her voice rang over and over again in his mind, and even in his ears still. `Why am I contemplating the existence of a mere human? She is nothing to me! Another speck of dirt that is beneath me!' Sesshomaru paused in this thought. `No, she is different. I should be grateful for what she has done for me, and should the very least respect her for being able to tolerate that baka, Inuyasha.'

He looked down to the flower that he still held in his hand.

"Kagome," he whispered her name, it rolled off of his tongue just like it had the first time he had spoken it. Except now, he could almost taste her name upon his lips. With that, he placed the flower back into the book, shut it, and placed it back onto the table.

~ ^_^ ~

"Inuyasha, slow down!" Kagome huffed as she followed the impatient hanyou. Inuyasha ignored her, and everyone's demands for a rest though, and walked stubbornly forward. He knew that he was being a bit harsh on the group, but Kagome had just claimed that she sensed a whopping total of 10 jewel shards moving away from their direction. If they wanted to catch up to it, breaks were unacceptable.

"Come on, Ya lazy bums! Geez, humans are so unfit and weak for traveling, I don't know why you bother!"

"Sit." <thump> "There! Now we'll just have to wait until you recover!" Kagome said cheerfully before ploppling onto a nearby rock to sit down. She could hear Inuyasha's barely audible curses through the dirt.

Everyone took a seat as well, and Kagome passed out juice boxes that she had been carrying in her oversized backpack to the others. She placed one near Inuyasha's subdued form for him to drink once the spell wore off.

Shippo pounced onto Kagome's lap, and sipped his juice happily. He noticed that his surrogate mother had a slightly worried look plastered onto her face.

"Kagome, what's wrong?" She snapped out of her daze to look down at the little kit.

"I'm just a little worried about the youkai that I sensed with all the jewel shards." Sango inched a little closer to Kagome.

"Why is that? Is it because you're afraid of how powerful it will be, wielding all those shards?" Kagome sighed, and put her juice box down.

"Kinda, but something about the youkai's aura is familiar, very evil and malevolent." Sango's eyes widened.

"You mean Naraku?"

"I'm not sure. . ." At the mention of Naraku's name, Inuyasha bolted straight up, fist clenched, and fire burning visibly in his eyes.

"That's why we gotta go now! The longer we stay here sucking that fruit-flavored water, the lesser chance we'll get of nailing Naraku!" He fumed when everyone just brushed off his little speech, and proceeded over to Kagome's cookies.

"Calm down, Inuyasha! As I recall, you're the one who likes `sucking that fruit-flavored water' the most!" Kagome said with slight amusement as she watched his cheeks radiate an embarrassing pink. He gave off an annoyed "Feh," before picking up the juice box that was placed near him and taking a seat. He drank it with a sour face, hating to admit defeat.

Kagome smiled triumphantly, but couldn't help but worry over the youkai that she sensed. Shippo wanted to get her mind off of things, so he decided to talk about something else.

"Hey, Kagome, do you think I'll ever be able to play with Rin again?" Kagome smiled down at him before giving him an answer.

"I'm sure you will! But, it's really up to Sesshomaru. If he ever gets around to bringing her around again, which is highly unlikely."

"Why not?"

"Well, the next time we'll see him, he'll most likely be his old self again, you know, trying to steal Tetsusaiga and yelling `Die Inuyasha!'" Kagome's voice became laced with a hint of sadness at this. She didn't want to fight him, not now, or ever. She sighed, remembering his golden depths.

"But Momma, isn't Sesshomaru our friend now, after all that we've done for him?" Everyone heard a sarcastic "Feh," from Inuyasha.

"Well, sometimes, it's hard to put things behind and change yourself for the better," Kagome gently explained. She petted his fluffy tail playfully, and he began to giggle with delight. `I wonder what would happen if I were to pet Sesshomaru's tail. . ." She shook her head at the thought. `Whoa, where did THAT come from?'

"I don't get it," came Sango's voice. Kagome turned her attention to her, while still petting Shippo's tail. "Why would someone as sweet and innocent as Rin, stay with someone as cold and bloodthirsty as Sesshomaru? And what's more, why would someone like Sesshomaru even allow it at all?"

Kagome racked her brain, recalling that one conversation that she had with the taiyoukai when she was plagued by that same question.

"Rin was an orphan, and she cared for Sesshomaru when he was injured. Sesshomaru brought her back to life with the Tenseiga when she was killed by a wolf youkai pack, and cares for her to this day. Why, I don't think HE even knows." Kagome mulled over the story once again.

"But I think it's because that somewhere behind that emotionless mask, he has a heart, even if it is of ice, it's there, and Rin's beginning to make it melt." Sango nodded, hearing a bit of hope in Kagome's tone when she spoke of the demon lord.

Suddenly, Kagome's serene face broke into one of fear and worry. Inuyasha threw aside his juice box, and unsheathed Tetsusaiga, growling deeply. Miroku and Sango took this as a warning for incoming danger, and went into defensive stances.

Kagome placed Shippo upon her shoulder, and readied her bow and arrows. She could sense it now, the shards coming in fast, and she was now sure of the shard owner's identity as well.

"He's coming, Naraku's coming!"

~ ^_^ ~

Sesshomaru watched as the little girl was playing in the gardens. He had noticed that she seemed less energetic since he had left Kagome and the others one week prior. The child missed the older girl, he could tell.

After gathering a slightly smaller amount of flowers/weeds than usual, Rin decided to call it a day and went to Sesshomaru, who was waiting patiently for her by the large boulder.

"Sesshomaru-sama," she said in a rather shy voice, he nodded for her to continue. "Can we go visit Kagome-neesan? Rin misses playing with Shippo-chan and Kagome-neesan."

He looked down at Rin, who was now fidgeting for an answer, and plucking the petals off of her gathered flowers.

"Perhaps," her head snapped up to look at him, excitement shown brightly in her eyes. Oh, how he hated to burst her bubble. It's not like he could just casually come and say `Good day, I know you dislike me, but Rin wants a play date, so here I am!' He shook his head, surprising himself that he had a sarcastic voice with sarcastic answers.

"But not today, another time, Rin." There. He answered her, and frowned when she gave him a disappointed look. But a second later, she put back on her toothy smile, he raised a delicate eyebrow at the child.

"Okay! How about tomorrow? Rin wants to play lotsa games with Kagome-neesan! Will Sesshomaru-sama take Rin tomorrow?" She began jumping up and down ecstatically. He patted her head somewhat affectionately.

"We'll see, Rin." Sesshomaru looked up into the slowly descending sun. He sighed, it was about time that he should begin patrolling his lands. He called Jaken forward to take Rin inside and get her dinner. The little toad muttered protests at first, but obeyed immediately when he saw Sesshomaru's piercing gaze.

Once Rin was inside, Sesshomaru took off on his white cloud, and began looking over his lands. It was uneventful, as always, until he caught the disgusting scent of sulfur and blood in the direction of a forest a little outside of his lands. `Naraku,' he recognized the scent immediately.

He didn't care much for the hanyou though, and was about to ignore and resume patrolling when a faint scent of sakura blossoms and jasmine. `Kagome?' She must be near where Naraku was. He decided to edge a little closer to the area, and growled deeply when he caught something else in the atmosphere.

Blood. `Kagome's blood.' With that one final thought, he flew at full speed, hoping to reach her in time. What compelled him to do so, he wasn't sure. Perhaps it was because he felt he was in debt. Yes, that's it. He was going to repay her for healing his wound and restoring his arm.

But still, the thought of Kagome dying by Naraku's hands, was too unbearable to think.

`Kagome,' was all that he could think of the entire time.

End Chapter ^_^

(Yawn) Man, I'm tired. Just got back from my daily workout and I just had to finish this chapter. Well, I do believe that this is my first cliffy, it's not much of one, but hey, gotta start somewhere. Well, Naraku's finally in, well not really, and the chaos will come shortly. I still encourage everyone to send ideas on Naraku, you know, evil plots and whatnots, `cuz he'll probably make more than one appearance. I hope to update sooner, it's just that my damn lazy side begins to rear it's ugly head, so, well yeah, you know.

Review Responses:

Silver Fang13: Thanks again! If you have more suggestions, please let me know!

H Faith: Thankies! I'm so glad that you reviewed, by the way, when are YOU gonna update? LOL. Take your time.

TheAloneLostSoul: Well, Sess and Inu will probably fight, but not until waaay later. Well, when I think about it, maybe not. . .whatever, we'll see. Thanks for reviewing!

Aki no Yume1: Huh, you know what, I never even thought about Sess going to Kagome's time. But thanks, now I have an idea of how to put that on a later chapter! Please keep reading to find out everything else!

KlutzySammy: Oh how you flatter me so! (blushes and hides behind couch) Ack! Don't look at me! I might not be able to e-mail you, ^_^; sorry! But check me up in your favorites list, it should say! By the way, Thanks for putting me there! (blushes again) No!!! Don't look at me! Oh yeah! Didja know that Miroku can grope women in the game? I laughed so hard when I saw!

Otaku-2003: I'll try to go faster updating-wise, but like I said, LAZY!

Sesshiria: Thank You, loads and loads! Inu will be in the way for some time, but do not fear, it will still be Sess/Kag all the way! Besides, it's sooo fun making them all jealous!

AiVixen: You're right, Sesshy's allowed to have thoughts and emotions too! As long as he doesn't show them! LOL. I loved that review! So long and fun to read! It's okay, I like to ramble too. I mean you talk on and on forever on the same subject, and the other person's probably like whatever, but you don't pay attention, so you just keep going and going and going and-crap, now I'm rambling. Anyways, thanks for mentioning me on your fic! When are you gonna update? Review my chapter!

Dragon Master VII: Thanks! I try.

Kasia matsubishi: Thanks for the sugar! I'll be high on that all day! ^________^ (big smile)

Lady Kaiba: Your welcome on the review, I'll keep reviewing your story, if you keep reviewing mine, (Gives puppy-dog-pout) why don't you get a jump on it? Go! Review!

Mistress Fluffy: Aw, well that's too bad. I really loved your fics! I'll make sure to read Demonic Changes real soon! ^_^

VicFan: Thanx

Silver: Well, glad to hear! I hope to never bore you, so please keep reading! I'm glad I got you hooked too!

Iotathesweet: I'll update, as soon as you review! (now whining) PWEESE!!

Sanosuke Hidane: Great! Now look what ya did! I can't get that friggin' image outta my head! Just one question, when Sess is chibi, is Jaken too? Otherwise Jaken will be the same size and well, LOL. Thanks for reviewing!

Zoutou: Of Course! Sketch away! I just want ten copies of the picture once you're done! Hehehe. I'm kinda disappointed about FLCL, just when I was getting' into it too. Yes! I have some of the mangas, and you're right, they ARE funnier.

Fire goddess5: yay! So glad I hooked you! The first Sess/Kag fic I ever read was "I Must Be Sick" by Shichan. Drop by her fic sometime. It's really kawaii!

The Fallen Angel of Death: Well, I'll try, but I doubt that I can really pull that off with the kind of schedule I have. (Sigh) But only for you! Thanks for the review!

Nymph Demon: How was the fluff?

Aira: Well, I pretty much answered your question. ^_^

Red Dragon9: It will verbal and physical, so stay tuned!

Inuyashaluvver: (Shrieks happily) Yay! Loved the review! (sobs) I'll write more, you just have to review! ^_~

Mala Valah: Let the fuzz grow!

Yes! Done! Now I have to get off because Mom's yelling at me for staying up too late. . . -_-; There's not much conversation left so, You might as well leave. But REVIEW FIRST! ^_^ (mimicking Apu's Indian accent) Thank You! Come Again!

Ja Ne! ^_~