InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Hanging by a moment... ❯ The only way... ( Chapter 36 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]






Genre(s): Angst/Romance
Rating: A
Warnings: None
Word Count: 500






~ The only way... ~






Blinking, it took Kagome a moment to gather herself; she’d felt dizzy for a second. What just happened? Looking up she saw the Goshinboku, same as before, but something was wrong. It took her a moment to realize it was the Goshinboku from her time.

“No…”

Bolting for the well, she practically threw herself down the time portal only to receive a horrible jarring both figuratively and literally when the lights of time did not engulf her.

“Nooooo!”

It wasn’t supposed to be this way.

She remembered her last few hours in the past. Naraku was dead. All that remained was purifying the jewel. Uncaring of that, she had felt anxious and unsure. Which world should she choose? Could she choose? She wanted so desperately to stay with Inuyasha, but remorsefully the hanyou had expressed that she didn’t belong in his world. How could he take her away from her family? While he knew she would adjust, he just couldn’t rip her away from everything she’d known and loved. She would get over him.

Adamantly rejecting that notion, she’d quickly switched tactics and begged him to come with her. She reminded him how his world always treated him, hoping to entice him with finally having a family, a place to call home. He’d quickly shot her down with one point. While folks in his century hated or feared him, they at least knew what he was. He wasn’t hated in her world because he was kept secret. If he moved there as he was, as tempting as it sounded, he would have to live in hiding or else risk consequences far greater than those in his time. And what about any future children they might have? He couldn’t risk it, for everyone’s sake.

“Don’t worry…it’s a sacrifice, but I know what to do.” he’d told her, cupping her hands which held the sacred jewel.

“I don’t want to live without you.” she’d whispered, unaware of his plans.

“Trust me.” he’d whispered back, closing his eyes. She hadn’t even realized he’d been making his wish.

The next thing she knew she was in her own time, alone.

Climbing out of the well, she slowly walked across the shrine grounds, utterly miserable. She didn’t notice the boy sitting across from the Goshinboku until he spoke.

“Please don’t cry.”

Shocked, her eyes lifted to meet his as he approached. He was human, dressed in modern clothes, but…

“Inuyasha?”

He nodded. She sobbed, both distraught and relieved.

“Why?”

“It was the only way.”

Holding her as she cried, he explained, “I have new memories, an identity like I was born here. To our friends, I disappeared when you did. Here I’m an orphan, though really I don’t have parents. The jewel inserted me into your world. I’m not a reincarnation, it’s really me.” Pausing, he added, “Sorry ‘bout the ears.”

“Baka…” she laughed between tears. “I’m just happy you’re here.”




Converting /tmp/php6vDtin to /dev/stdout