InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Just Roomies ❯ One is the Loneliest Number ( Chapter 31 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Chapter 31: One is the Loneliest Number
 
 
After several shots and many bottles of beer Kagome had managed to temporarily dull the pain of Inuyasha's leaving. Inuyasha had managed to dull the pain he felt in hurting Kagome. Now there they were sitting across from one another swaying drunkenly at their kitchen table.
 
“ You don't drink.” Inuyasha said to Kagome sleepily finishing off the rest of his beer.
 
“ I didn't.” Kagome corrected as she took a gulp from her bottle of beer. “ You know I think this is the only way we're going to get through this amicably. Just be drunk the entire time we're in the same room.” Kagome laughed bitterly. “ I want to watch tv.” Kagome slurred as she stumbled out of the dining room only to collapse on the couch. Inuyasha followed and sat down beside Kagome once she had managed to get herself sitting upright.
 
Inuyasha grabbed the remote and began lazily flipping the channels, finally resting it on cartoons. Both tried in vain to ignore the pain in both their hearts. They laughed at the cartoons inwardly praying that the feeling of numbness would last even though common sense told them they only last a few hours longer.
 
“ What if life was like a cartoon.. we could easily bounce back from any trauma and everything ended happily.” Inuyasha chuckled at Kagome's idealistic statement. “ Too bad real life is shitty.” She grumbled leaning against the armrest of the couch.
 
“Real life is shitty. But the shit is what makes us stronger.” Kagome snickered and continued to watch tv. “ What's so funny about that?” Inuyasha asked after hearing Kagome's obvious laugh.
 
“ Nothing.. nothing. It's just such a bullshit answer. `The shit is what makes us stronger.' Fuck that.” Kagome said with a frown. “You want another beer?” Kagome asked as she got up from her spot on the couch. Inuyasha grinned like a child and nodded rapidly. Kagome went into the fridge and grabbed a beer for Inuyasha and one of herself.
 
“ Grab some chips while you're there…PLEASE.” Inuyasha whined from the couch. Kagome laughed and brought out their beers and a big bag of chips.
 
“ This is the dinner of champions.” Kagome said with a small laugh.
 
“ Damn straight!” Inuyasha chuckled and stretched out carefully on the couch. He didn't want to set off Kagome's anger. He put an arm on the back of the couch, behind Kagome's shoulders. His arms slid down further and wrapped around Kagome. Surprisingly enough she didn't pull away. She smiled softly at Inuyasha with adoring eyes. He opened his mouth to speak and Kagome shook her head wordlessly. She was fighting the urge to kiss him, but she couldn't do it. If she did she would probably end up in tears and she didn't want Inuyasha to see her weakness. Her weakness for Inuyasha was what got her on the damn roller coaster of emotions he stuck her on.
 
Inuyasha had to say something. He couldn't just sit there with Kagome in his arms like that and not say something. He had to make her understand. He had to tell her that just because he was leaving her that he did love her.“ Kagome.. I..”
 
“ Don't do it Inuyasha. Don't you dare say anything.” Kagome said lightly as she kept her eyes fixed on the television. She couldn't dare look into those fiery amber eyes otherwise he would have her melting for him. His eyes were locked on her, but she refused to look.
 
“ I love you.” He whispered softly, but loud enough for Kagome to hear. His head drooped and came to rest on top of Kagome's shoulder. He had say it. He had to tell her. Secretly he feared her reaction. He wondered if it would become another scream fest. Kagome was filled with an insurmountably large reserve of patience, but he knew her patience had run out on him. He prayed to every Kami that Kagome would find the kindness and patience in her heart not to beat the shit out of him. He knew he hurt her, but his heart was out on the line.. It was then he realized in his head how selfish he was being.
 
“ I want you to promise me that you'll never say you love me ever again.” Kagome said grabbing the remote. “ If we're going to ever be friends again, you have to promise me that much.“ Inuyasha.” Kagome turned to look at the hanyou she loved, but he had fallen asleep. Kagome sighed and turned back her attention onto the TV. She knew he wasn't asleep, but she was tired of fighting so she wouldn't say anything. If he gave her this moment of peace, she wouldn't dare interrupt it. She knew he was tired of fighting too. Gently Kagome caressed Inuyasha's soft silver hair as she slowly felt sleep approaching. “Inuyasha.” She sighed finally succumbing to sleep.
 
Inuyasha kept his eyes shut and his breathing even, hoping that Kagome wouldn't realize that he was awake. She'd told him never to say that he loved her again.. He couldn't make a promise like that. Kagome had begun stroking his hair softly, she hadn't realized he was awake. Inuyasha thanked the Kami that they had given this moment to him. One last loving action from his Kagome.. his Kagome. No matter what both of them said, he knew he'd always consider Kagome his. What he'd give to kiss Kagome once more, make love to her and have everything back to how it was a few days ago. After a few moments he could feel Kagome's body begin to go slack and he realized she had fallen asleep. The hanyou pulled the girl into his arms and snuggled into the couch. This would probably be the last time that she would let him hold her again.
 
 
 
 
The sun rose and Kagome was the first one to open her eyes. She was lying on top of Inuyasha's chest, he had one arm draped over his face to shield the light in the room and the other arm was around Kagome. She smiled softly, this would be the last time that he held her like this. It would be the last time that they would fall asleep cuddled up together. Their last memory of being roommates would be this one. A happy one. That was exactly what we wanted right? Their last memories to be happy ones. Kagome looked at the clock then glanced at one of the windows. It was barely dawn. Letting out a sigh the girl picked up Inuyasha's arm and removed it from her. She stood up slowly and rubbed her temples painfully. THIS was why she didn't drink. The girl went to her room and grabbed a blanket to throw over Inuyasha then went back to her bathroom to shower.
 
 
 
 
Inuyasha awoke to the scent of Kagome all around him.. but he couldn't feel the warmth of her in his arms. Inuyasha hoped the last two days were just a dream. That he and Kagome were still happy, still in love. With a deep sigh Inuyasha opened up his eyes. Kagome's comforter was draped over him.. but no Kagome. He looked at the wall clock and it was already past two in the afternoon. With a grumble he got up from his place on the couch and stretched out painfully. His muscles were stiff, he had a headache, his mouth felt dry and he had the strongest urge for a cigarette. Inuyasha walked out onto the balcony and took out a cigarette and lit it.
 
Kagome
 
That was all he could think of. No matter how hard he tried he couldn't get her out of his thoughts. It was his own damn fault. He was the one who wanted to go to Seoul. He was the one who broke up with her. He was the one who said they were a mistake. He was the idiot. The biggest idiot in the God damn world. He flicked his cigarette off the balcony and walked into the empty apartment. Walking into the kitchen he groaned loudly. Their fight came back to him in a hazy fog. He'd thrown 2 glasses and Kagome had thrown one. Now he was going to have to clean it up.
 
After cleaning up and taking a shower Inuyasha needed a change of scenery. He called up Miroku and they met over at his favorite bar.
 
“ I don't blame her Inuyasha.” Miroku stated honestly as he shoveled some pretzels into his mouth.
 
“ Fuck, I don't either.. But it just sucks.” Inuyasha sighed and took a gulp of his beer. “I wish I could have it both ways..” Miroku chuckled and slapped Inuyasha on the back.
 
“ You're such a dreamer.” Miroku said shaking his head.
 
“ In a perfect world, I'd have Kagome and I'd have my internship in Seoul. She'd wait for me while I finished my internship without any questions, without fighting, without any of the bullshit. She'd come and visit on breaks, but would let me date other women if I met someone…”
 
“ The day that our dear Kagome does something like that would be a sign of apocalypse.” Miroku chuckled shaking his head. Inuyasha shrugged and smirked sadly.
 
“ I know that. I just don't want to lose her.” Inuyasha said honestly.
 
“When did you become so pussy whipped?” Inuyasha squinted his amber hued eyes to glare at Miroku.
 
“ I'm not the one who's pussy whipped.” Inuyasha insisted. “ Look at you and Sango.. I KNOW she calls the shots in your guys' relationship.” Inuyasha chuckled with victory and took another gulp of his beer. Miroku only shrugged and took a sip of his beer.
 
“ If you ever knew Sango's pussy intimately like I do, you'd be whipped too.. Though I'm sure that Kagome's is quite…” Miroku stopped talking once he heard Inuyasha growl at him. “ Feel like getting some food? I'm starving.” Miroku said nervously. Inuyasha reached into his pocket in search of his phone but couldn't find it.
 
“ I'm hungry too, but we have to swing by my place to get my phone.” Miroku nodded and they drove back to Inuyasha and Kagome's apartment..
 
Inuyasha opened up the door and walked towards his bedroom to look for his phone. He looked in the direction of Kagome's room and at the open door. For a second he thought Kagome's room was empty.. But he had to be seeing things. Forgetting about his phone Inuyasha went straight into Kagome's room. It WAS empty.
 
Kagome had moved out.
 
 
 
 
A/N: So this is another little chapter heh.