InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Just Roomies ❯ Trying to Get Over This ( Chapter 33 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Inuyasha..
 
Chapter 33 Trying to Get Over This
 
 
Kagome pushed her cart slowly as she walked the aisles of the grocery store pensively. It had been exactly one month and 3 days today that she had moved out of the apartment she had once shared with Inuyasha. He would be leaving for Seoul in three weeks. Every day he called her and came over for dinner. She liked the fact that she had constant contact with Inuyasha, but it was making it harder and harder for her to come to terms with his leaving. Every time she heard his voice or saw his face she was reminded of her love for him and the fact that he would be leaving her.
 
“ Kagome?” A familiar voice called her from her thoughts. She looked at the owner of the voice and saw Hiten.
 
“ Hiten! What a surprise.” Kagome plastered on her best fake smile she could.
 
“ I haven't seen you since Inuyasha's party.” Kagome remembered that night.. it was more or less the first time Inuyasha had shown her that he really did care for her.
 
“ I know. That was a while ago.” Kagome smiled sheepishly and Hiten only smiled kindly.
 
“ How are you?” Hiten asked kindly.
 
“ I'm doing okay. Inuyasha and I broke up. He's for Korea for two years in less than a month and I moved out.” Hiten's eyes grew wide. He knew Inuyasha could be dense at time, but he didn't know he was this dense.
 
“ Wait..” Hiten shook his head. “ What? You're joking right?” Kagome shook her head somewhat sadly.
 
“ It's been about a month.” Kagome said looking at the ground. “It was really hard at first. All I did was cry, but I'm doing better now.”
 
“ He's a fool.” Hiten said, his voice was serious. Kagome's eyes shot up to meet Hiten's. “He's a complete idiot for leaving a woman like you.” Kagome blushed deeply and turned away. “Have dinner with me? It doesn't have to be a date if you don't want it to be.” Kagome looked at him once again and nodded.
 
“ Okay. I live across the hall from Inuyasha. Pick me up at seven?” The two said their goodbyes and Kagome resumed her shopping. `I have to get over Inuyasha.'
 
 
 
 
 
Inuyasha sighed as he slammed his textbook shut. He was sick of studying even though he was positive he hadn't absorbed anything from his books. He kept thinking about Kagome. Getting up from his chair he walked out of his apartment and locked the door behind him. He rang her doorbell and leaned against the doorframe waiting for her to open it. When the door swung open Inuyasha's breath caught in his throat. Kagome was wearing the dress she had worn to his mother's birthday party.. he'd kissed her for the first time that night.
 
“ Hi.” Kagome said as she brushed her silky black hair. Her lips had a touch of lip gloss and she wore a little eye liner and mascara which accented her bright brown eyes. She moved aside allowing Inuyasha into the apartment as she put on her earrings. “ Sorry Puppy but no dinner tonight.” Inuyasha scowled at the nickname.
 
“ Where are you going and dressed like that.” Inuyasha said as he stared at the way the skin tight black dress hugged her curves perfectly.
 
“ Out.” Kagome said trying to be as vague as possible. Inuyasha squinted his eyes at the girl who was fidgeting with her left earring. “ On a date.” She said softly as she gave up trying to put in the earring. Inuyasha frowned darkly trying to keep his complete rage under control. How dare she go out with someone else! She was his.
 
“ WHAT?!” Inuyasha yelled. Kagome flinched and looked at Inuyasha sadly. The hanyou took a deep inward breath. “With who?” Inuyasha asked, his voice much softer now.
 
“ Hiten.” Inuyasha thought he heard wrong.
 
“ My friend Hiten?” Inuyasha asked. His friend was making a move on his woman and that was unacceptable. Kagome nodded and tried once again to put in her earring, this time successfully.
 
“ We're going out to dinner.” Kagome said softly as she straightened out some invisible wrinkles on her dress.
 
“ It looks like you're going to do a lot more than that if you're wearing that dress.” Inuyasha said with a snicker. Kagome glared at Inuyasha and placed her hands on her hips.
 
“ What's wrong with this dress?” Kagome screeched angrily. Inuyasha's ears flattened against his head. “ I wore this to your mother's house on her birthday.”
 
“ I remember. You wore that dress the first time we kissed.” Inuyasha said his voice rough and deep. Kagome frowned and reached out to Inuyasha. “ He's one of my best friends Kagome.” The sound of hurt in Inuyasha's voice made Kagome want to break her date with Hiten.
 
“ I thought you'd be happy that I was moving on. I wouldn't cling to you anymore.” Kagome sniffled softly as she felt the sadness creep over her.
 
“ I…” Inuyasha didn't know what to say. Kagome was right. He should be happy. But how could he be happy when the love of his life was going to go out to dinner with one of his best friends? How could he just sit at home when Hiten was making moves on Kagome, telling her she looked beautiful while holding her hand like she was his? He couldn't just sit there. `It's just dinner.' Inuyasha tried to convince himself. The doorbell rang and Kagome ran to the door to answer it. She smiled widely and let Hiten in. He was wearing a pair of dark gray slacks and a dark green long sleeved button up shirt.
 
“ Hey man!” Hiten said excitedly as he greeted Inuyasha then turned to Kagome and looked at her attire appreciatively. Inuyasha growled inwardly, trying his hardest to keep from actually growling just in case Hiten could hear. “Kagome you look great.” Kagome blushed and thanked him.
 
“ How's it going Hiten?” Inuyasha asked kindly though he was glaring daggers at his friend. Hiten saw the glare, but chose to ignore it. It was Inuyasha's own pride and stupidity that made him lose Kagome; he wouldn't make the same mistake.
 
“ Things are fantastic.” Hiten smiled kindly trying to convey that he wasn't doing this to piss off Inuyasha, but because he really did like Kagome.
 
“ You guys want some coffee?” Kagome asked getting ready to head into the kitchen.
 
“ Actually Kagome I made reservations for 7:30.” Hiten said looking at his watch.
 
“ Oh okay. Never mind then.” Kagome looked uncomfortably at Inuyasha. She had kicked him out of places plenty of times.. but this was different.
 
“ Call me later?” Inuyasha pleaded with Kagome as he headed for the door. Kagome nodded silently and took Hiten arm, which he wordlessly offered. Inuyasha walked out as Kagome and Hiten followed closely behind. Without a word to Hiten Inuyasha let himself into his apartment and shut the door.
 
 
 
 
Kagome laughed softly as Hiten led her to the door of the apartment building.
 
“ You sure you can make it up on your own?” Hiten asked with concern. Kagome smiled and nodded. Dinner with Hiten wasn't as bad as she thought it would be, but she figured out that she had no interest in Hiten romantically. The thought occurred that maybe she wasn't giving him a fair enough chance. He was nothing but polite and caring. He pulled out chairs for her, opened up doors and made sure she was always comfortable. It wasn't love yet, but it was something that she needed, someone who cared.
 
“ I can, do you want some coffee though?” Hiten nodded with a smile and Kagome led him upstairs to her apartment. After a few cups of coffee Hiten said he had to get home and work on a paper. “ I had a great time.” Kagome assured Hiten.
 
“ I did too.” Hiten said with a smile before opening the door. “Goodnight.” He leant in towards Kagome and gave her a tentative kiss on the lips. He pulled away slowly and smiled before walking away. Kagome froze up when he kissed her, she certainly hadn't expected that.
 
She saw a sleeping huddled form on the floor across from her door. She giggled softly when she realized who it was. “Inuyasha.” Kagome said touching his shoulder slightly. The hanyou jumped awake and looked up at Kagome from the floor.
 
“ I uh. I can see up your dress.” Inuyasha said not knowing what else to say. He was not about to admit that he was waiting up for her.
 
“ It's nothing you haven't seen before.” Kagome whispered into the hanyou's ear. Inuyasha inhaled deeply and could smell Kagome sweet scent.. but it was tainted with Hiten's smell.
 
“ How was your date?” Inuyasha asked trying to hide his jealousy as he got up from the floor. Kagome smiled and shook her head at the hanyou with a small laugh.
 
“ It was great.” Inuyasha frowned at Kagome's cheery response. “ Do you want to come in for a little coffee?” Inuyasha nodded stoically and followed the girl into her apartment. Inuyasha sat down on the couch and began to watch some tv as Kagome prepared the coffee.
 
She handed Inuyasha a mug of coffee and took a seat next to him. “ So what'd you guys do?” Inuyasha inquired all the while staring into his mug. Kagome smiled secretively as she took a slow sip of her coffee.
 
“ Well, we went and watched a movie, had a late dinner afterwards, he dropped me off at home and now here we are.” Kagome carefully omitted the unexpected goodnight kiss from Hiten.
 
“ Did he kiss you?” Inuyasha asked casting a quick glance at Kagome.
 
“ Yea, actually he did. He initiated it if you must know.” Inuyasha unknowingly sighed with relief, making Kagome smile secretly.
 
“ Are you going to go out with him again?” Inuyasha asked suddenly unable to avoid the burning question in his mind. Kagome took a slow sip from her cup.
 
“ Maybe. It's a little too soon to tell. He's nice enough, but I don't know.”.. `He's no you.' Inuyasha nodded silently with his lips pursed into a thin line. Imagining Kagome with another guy was impossible. He didn't even want to think about it. A new thought flashed in his mind. Maybe he should have asked Kagome to marry him. Why hadn't he asked Kagome to marry him? What held him back? Their parents wouldn't have minded. Hell, they probably would have be all for it. What's holding him back now? She still loved him. He knew that. He loved her of course. She was his other half, his soul mate and hopefully his future mate.
 
“Inuyasha.. Are you okay?” Kagome's sweet voice called him back to reality. Her big brown eyes wide with concern stared into his amber ones. The amount of clarity in Inuyasha's eyes scared Kagome for a moment. In a matter of seconds Inuyasha's eyes went from melancholy to hopeful and she hadn't the faintest inclination of why.
 
“ I don't know. I might be.” Inuyasha got up from his place on the couch and kissed Kagome's cheek. “ Goodnight Kagome.” With that Inuyasha finished off his coffee, placed it in the sink and walked out the apartment door.
 
The big question now would be if her pure heart would accept a huge fuck up like him…
 
 
 
 
It'd been two days since she had last seen Inuyasha. She called him the night after Hiten's date since she hadn't seen him all day.
 
Flashback
 
“ I'm at my parents' house right now. It was a last minute kind of thing.” Fearing that one of Inuyasha's family members had fallen ill she offered to drive there for a visit.
 
“ N-No!” Inuyaha's voice croaked after her offer. “I'm coming home Thursday morning. We can have dinner. Come across the hall at seven o'clock. I have something to show you.”
 
“Okay. I'll see you then.” After a brief goodbye they both hung up the phone.
 
End Flashback
 
One more day to go and Inuyasha would be back. She wondered what had happened with his parents. Hopefully everything was okay. With a small sigh Kagome picked up her books and headed out her front door. If she couldn't even last two days with her hanyou.. How could she spend two years or even a lifetime without him? `Maybe it'll get easier?' She thought in a futile attempt to deny the truth. Two years without Inuyasha. Why did the thought pain her so much? Sure she loved him.. but was it TRUE love? Hell, what defined true love anyways? Finally realizing she'd been standing outside her car for the better part of five minutes she decided to drive to the library to study.
 
“ You're positive that it was the right ring size?” Izayoi asked her nervous son. It was 2 days ago that her son showed up at her door at 4 in the morning asking about engagement rings.
“ I sure as hell hope so.” Inuyasha grumbled as he rubbed his eyes. He had barely gotten a few hours of sleep combined these past couple of days. After leaving Kagome's apartment he drove to his parents to ask for advice. His mother was ecstatic to say the least, until he revealed the fact that they had broken up.
 
Flashback
 
“Well, I hope you didn't say anything moronic.” His mother said shaking her head disapprovingly. Inuyasha looked down at the kitchen floor and coughed guiltily. “Koinu…” Inuyasha furrowed his brow and shrugged.
 
“ I'm an idiot.” He admitted with a frown. “She'll turn me down flat. I'm sure of it.” Izayoi placed a hand on her son's shoulder and smiled.
 
“ I didn't give birth to an idiot. She won't turn you down. She loves you.” Izayoi assured Inuyasha.
 
End Flashback
 
“You think she'll like the ring?” Inuyasha asked as he took it out of the small velvet box.
 
“ She'll absolutely love the ring.” Izayoi said looking at the ring. “Especially since it was handed down in my family for three generations.” She looked at the fatigue in her son's eyes as he placed the ring back in the box. “Go get some sleep honey. You have a long day tomorrow.” Inuyasha nodded silently, kissed his mother's cheek and went upstairs to his room.
 
 
A/N: I know that was a BIGGG chunk of time that I was gone. I apologize. Life gets in the way of course. I surely am alive. In a matter of 3 weeks I swore into the navy, changed my major in college and spent a lot of time at the gym. My life consists of work, preparing for boot camp at the gym and school. It leaves little time for sleep hehe.