InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Kagome, The Prized Possession ❯ Second thoughts ( Chapter 11 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Chapter 11: Second thoughts

A/N: Aitu, you're something special - enjoy everyone!

Sesshomaru was lying down on the sofa in his living room, and it wasn't your average size - it was huge. The sofa was long and comfy made out of cotton courtesy of `Jennifer Convertibles.' On the flour was a large carpet with golden and black designs engraved on it, the coffee table in front of the sofa was made out of glass so clear you can see your reflection in it, and to the side of the living room was the balcony that showed the view of the city.

Rin sat on top of his stretched out legs holding a book in her hand that she was currently reading to him.

"Then as the d-ock," Rin paused.

"Doctor," Sesshomaru corrected.

"Doctor checked his teeth," Rin smiled. "That's the only thing I know how to read, Sesshomaru."

Sesshomaru chuckled, "Did you memorize it?"

Rin shook her head, "No, I really read it. Mr. Jaken helped a lot since you came home so late."

"I'm sorry," Sesshomaru began. "I have to work sometimes other wise we'd be homeless."

"That's ok," Rin laughed, "It's nice outside. We can go on adventures."

"You'd like that?"

"Yup," Rin nodded, "I like when you're home. Because when you're here...it's nice. I don't like when you go away."

Sesshomaru patted her head, "Continue telling me what happened to the doctor from your memory."

"Ok!"

Sesshomaru's mind trailed a bit as he thought of Kagome, and what they did last night. He even thought about her before he fell asleep, and wondered why he didn't just make love to her right then and there. The truth was he had no right. Not that he needed a right to do so, but he was a respectable man. Kagome was truly innocent and he had taken advantage of that even when he told himself that he wouldn't do anything...

He did...

It was hard not to. Kagome was someone he could see himself being with, not that he was looking for a wife or someone to be a mother to Rin or anything like that. It was just nice to have a companion especially at the age of twenty-six. He wasn't getting any younger and even he knew it. He even wouldn't mind having a fairly large family and a wife that he loved.

Perhaps, it was the typical American dream, but what was the since of his success if he had no one to share it with? Of course he was rather lonely even if he hadn't admitted it to himself. Rin kept him company and brought a great deal of joy to his life just by sitting next to him. The joy Rin brought to him was a different from the kind of joy Kagome brought to him, however.

Only after two days...

Could you really think you were falling in love with someone after that short a time? Sesshomaru didn't know how to answer that question. Quite naturally, you don't want to put all your hopes into someone and suddenly when they're not who you thought they were - you'd be crushed. However, Sesshomaru wasn't like those kinds of people. He wasn't looking hard like some hopeless and lonely romantic. He was living his life the best way he knew how, the best way he could - without depending on anyone to be anything for him for any reason.

Even the case of the woman he dated last time, Kagura. Kagura was a beautiful temptress and the love making was superb, but when it was over - it was over. They went out to dinner here and there; it would eventually lead back to the bedroom. Again, the love making was great, but there was nothing about the relationship that was worth maintaining. Sesshomaru didn't want to have to depend of Kagura to satisfy his appetite at the expense of his self-respect.

It was disrespectful, very disrespectful to be with someone to whom you feel you're standing still with, having hardly any kind of communication towards each other, but sex. That's a disgrace to both partners; you might as well call yourselves fuck-buddies before you even utter the word relationship when the question of where you stood with the person came up.

Relationships are so much more. You'd never know what a real relationship was like unless you experienced one yourself. You can't go by soap opera's or show's like Smallville Sesshomaru knew. When two people can communicate with each other, express their feelings without compunction, and can take comfort in one another's company - that's the beginning of a beautiful relationship; the beginning because a relationship didn't just stop there.

"All done," Rin closed the book and looked towards Sesshomaru with her warm dark eyes, "I'm going to take a nap now."

Sesshomaru nodded as he saw the little seven year old with dark hair in her pink pajamas walk casually out of the living room.

Maybe, Sesshomaru thought. I should take a nap right now; just a little rest.

Sesshomaru's cell phone rung and he snorted.

I guess that's it, Sesshomaru snorted and answered the phone.

"Sesshomaru speaking," He said.

"Sesshomaru," the guy on the other end chuckled, "why do you say Sesshomaru speaking when it wouldn't be anyone else picking up your cell phone?"

"Inuyasha..." Sesshomaru scoffed. "It's you. I should have looked at the caller ID..."

"Yea whatever," Inuyasha spoke sternly, "Look, I'm a little short on cash for the ticket. Wire me some money and I'll be down there next week."

Sesshomaru let out a breath as he said out of shear annoyance, "Look, Inuyasha, you poor adult. Why ever would this Sesshomaru waste his money on such a lowly scab like you?"

"Because," Inuyasha returned his tone, "dad said so. Cough it up, I'll wait. Bye."

Sesshomaru hung up the phone and his golden eyes flickered.

Ass hole...

Sesshomaru was the serious one out of the two brothers. He was the oldest, the brightest, and certainly the better dressed. Inuyasha was immature, unorganized and beautifully unemployed since he could never manage to keep a job or a respectable GPA.

Sesshomaru smiled when he recalled a memory of his father and mother at the dinner table practically scolding Inuyasha for his incompetence in history class when he attempted to go to college. Eventually, his folks cut him off financially and he moved out with a girl lasts he heard.

The girl must've been desperate, Sesshomaru thought. Inuyasha was the worst man you could ever consider having as a mate. He had no ambitions, no respect, no wonder he could never land a respectable job.

Sesshomaru's cell-phone started ringing; he casually flipped it open and brought it to his ear again, "Sesshomaru, speaking."

"It's Naraku."

Sesshomaru glared at the phone suddenly. Naraku and Sesshomaru knew each other from college; they were both competitive in their studies and career - only because they both enjoyed advancing in power equally and a good education was a start to getting it (legally for the most part). Currently they were both business owners and occasionally were brought together only whenever deals were being made. They had nothing against each other particularly, but there was something in the air.

"Yes," Sesshomaru answered. "How can I help you?"

"I want to have a meeting with you," Naraku said coolly, "just the two of us. It would be appropriate to discuss our business some place other than the phone. That's why I took the liberty of getting us a nice room with a balcony overlooking this club that's having a masquerade night."

"Really," There was no interest in Sesshomaru's voice what so ever, "Give me the address and tell me when to arrive."

Naraku did as Sesshomaru asked and added, "You can bring a girl if you'd like. I'll be bringing my girlfriend to enjoy her company after our meeting is adjourned."

"Goodbye," Sesshomaru hung up.

Bring a girl he says? Sesshomaru winced at the statement. I would ask Kagome, but...

Sesshomaru's mind trailed. It might have been too soon to ask, and he did want to wait till Kagome called him. He wanted Kagome to call him because he wanted to know if she wanted to see him and not the other way around. That's what he told her after he gave her his business card. He didn't want to seem like some stalker. It was bad enough he made his debut only after the second day of knowing her. He came to her home and...

No... Sesshomaru decided. I won't go over there to ask her. I need a little time to pass at least and besides there is something else to consider. I wanted her to call me to make sure she wanted to see me after what happened so if she's planning on never seeing me again...

Sesshomaru looked at his watch. It was in the afternoon. He knew it would be better if he got himself some rest since he'd be out pretty late so he started walking his bedroom.

Preferably, I don't know what's going to happen later on this evening, but I do know that I need to get my mind off of Kagome for the time being.

Sesshomaru decided; it was better that way.

~^~^^~^~^~^^~^~^^~^~^~^^~

Kagome was putting on some earrings in the mirror, it was pink earrings that looked like jewel fragments, her hair was straight and falling over her shoulders and her lips were the color of black berry. On her feet were white open-toe heeled shoes and her outfit itself consisted of a short white windy skirt that came two inches above her knees, and a white sleeveless spandex belly button shirt that showed off a good amount of cleavage.

I really don't want to go out tonight, Kagome thought.

It was true. She didn't want to go anywhere that night. Kouga was handsome and sweet and nice, but there was only one man she couldn't get off her mind and that was Sesshomaru. He was the only one she was interested in, she didn't want to pretend with Kouga or any other guy that came along, but Sango insisted.

I know her heart is in the right place, Kagome knew.

And it was.

What real friend would desire to see their friends' hurt in anyway? Especially over some guy they barely knew. Sango knew Kagome was inexperienced and there might very well be a chance that she did wear her heart on her sleeve, but...with love nothing was ever certain. Everything you did, you take a chance at it. Kagome wanted to take a chance with Sesshomaru but...some chances were too soon to take. Especially after only two days.

Kagome put on a white leather jacket that reeked of that fresh leather smell, it was expensive and she did everything she could to avoid getting it dirty at which she succeeded being as thought it was spotless.

Kagome looked at her small wrist-watch and saw that it was time she got a move on. Sango would be driving up with her so called, boyfriend and Kouga would be at her door waiting like a complete gentleman.

What a nice guy...Kagome thought. I'm almost certain I'm not so nice since...since I'm doing this.

Kagome sprayed a few squirts of her white diamonds perform on her and she grabbed her matching white bag from off the dresser before exiting her apartment and locking the door behind her.

To her surprise, outside of where she stood was him.

"Kouga," Kagome smiled, "You look wonderful."

"So do you," Kouga winked.

Kouga had his hair in a pony-tale, and reeked of Kagome's favorite cologne. He wore a black suit with a white dress shirt underneath; on his right ear was a silver crescent moon dangling.

He's so handsome and charming, Kagome suddenly felt guilty. Why am I doing this to him?

"So let's go," Kouga began as they walked down the stairs. "I know I may not look it, but I'm a very good dancer."

"Really," Kagome smiled warmly as she walked, "I think you're a good dancer. You definitely look it."

"Aw, you're as sweet as a strawberry," Kouga opened the door for her when they finally reached the exit. "I'm glad you were able to come with me."

Kagome's frown worsened.

I feel so wrong right now...

Sango stood by a black jeep outside of Kagome's apartment. Sango was wearing a short black sleeveless dress with black leather boots reaching up to her knees, her pony-tale was tied back tight, but allowing a bang to fall in from of her forehead.

Kagome had to admit, Sango looked sexy as hell, and she wasn't wearing much makeup - only red lipstick and a bit of colorful eyeliner.

God, she looks great...

As Kagome walked down the stairs she could see a shadowy figure in the drivers seat of the car, her guess was, it was Naraku.

That guy gives me the creeps, Kagome grimaced.

"Kagome-chan," Sango's face lit up when she saw her friend. "You look so sexy!"

Kagome blushed, "Arigato, Sango-chan."

Sango opened the door to the back seat for them to enter before sitting in the passenger seat up in the front. It was already dark outside with a cold breeze blowing by that made Kagome half regret wearing what she wore.

Is it ok to where stuff like this in April?

"Nice seeing you again Kagome," Naraku began as he started up the car, "You look wonderful. Is that your boyfriend?"

"No," Kagome said immediately, "it's my friend," Kagome took Kouga's hand and smiled, "right Kouga?"

Kouga smirked, "Of course."

Good, Kagome thought. Let me put that friendship word up in the air before this sweet and handsome fellow get any ideas; even though, by now, it's probably too late anyway.

"Sango," Naraku began, "I have to attend a little meeting before we go head to the dance floor just yet. I hope you don't mind."

"What," Sango looked at Naraku sideways and even from the back seat Kagome could see fire in her eyes. "You're going to work when we're supposed to be going out?"

They semi-argued, and Kagome slouched back in her seat frowning.

How did I get involved in this?

"So is Sesshomaru your boyfriend," Kouga asked.

Kagome's eyes widened. She'd expect a question like that to come along, but not as soon as it did. She could only stutter, "What?"

"Are you and Sesshomaru dating?"

Sesshomaru suggested we be friend with benefits...that's not a relationship. Kagome swallowed. I should put something in the air other than friendship otherwise Kouga will feel the need to try and pursue me...and I'm interested in Sesshomaru...

"Yea," Kagome's voice trailed.

"Oh, well that's not what he told me," Kouga sat back with his arms on top of his chest.

What did he say?

"What," Kagome asked a bit curious. It then came to her that Sesshomaru and him were standing outside in the hallway before he stormed into his apartment...pissed at something. "What did he say?"

Sango suddenly quieted down as Naraku spoke to her, it was evident she was eavesdropping on the conversation just then.

"I saw him in the hallway," Kouga explained, "He was waiting by your door and I asked him who he was waiting for and he told me - he was waiting for you; waiting for his friend."

Shit...

"Oh," Kagome spoke quickly, "We only decided to date after spending time together that day. Like, we decided to like you know - because we like each other. We both agreed we would give it a shot."

"He told me he just met you the other night," Kouga blinked, "Oh well, I guess if love is in the air..."

Kagome suddenly felt microscopic.

"It happens," Sango said aloud just then. "Naraku and I are pretty good together and we didn't know each other for a long time. You never know so you got to take chances."

Kagome grimaced as she turned her eyes to the car window.

If I could burn away right now...I would.

"I didn't offend you did I," Kouga asked as he placed a hand on his shoulder. "I meant nothing of it really - please don't be mad."

He's sweet, Kagome knew. Only thing that makes me feel better now is the fact that I don't have to focus on Kouga giving me a strange look since I told him the situation, but with hot guys that never seems to work. I bet he's sitting down right now plotting to put the moves on me.

Kagome remembered the guy she semi-dated before Inuyasha - Hojo. Hojo was a nice guy and everything, but Inuyasha...

Kagome smirked, "It's, ok Kouga. I still like you. How can I not? You're so sweet and handsome."

"Stop it," Kouga turned away to hide a smile, "You're making me blush and stuff. Guys shouldn't do that."

"We're here," Naraku drove up the entrance.

"Oh wow," Sango said after seeing the red carpet and the amount of people that flooded the streets outside. "So many..."

"We won't have to worry about them," Naraku pulled over. "I'll take you guys in and then I'll catch up with you later."

"All righty," Sango got out of the car and smiled at the sight of the huge lights and bouncers standing at the entrance. "I'm definitely going to have a good time."

Naraku gave Sango a look, "Do not talk to anyone of these men. They only want to bed you."

"Like you did," Sango made a comeback at his comment. "I don't see anyone cute so...you're safe."

How rude, Kagome thought. Sango is so...wicked.

Everyone was out of the car as they approached the large and white building.

Naraku spoke to the bouncer briefly, the bouncer nodded and stepped aside so that they were able to enter.

"I'll catch up with you later Sango," Naraku said and he went back to his car.

Sango nodded as she walked into the club, "Yea-"

"Excuse me miss," the bouncer began as he opened this container full of masks, "Take one."

"That's so tacky," Sango groaned as she grabbed one, "Oh well...guess I'll take this one."

Sango's masked look like something people wore in the feudal era of Japan to block out poison.

Kagome looked at the masks and saw nothing she'd wear particularly...it wasn't a very good selection.

Let's see...
"This one fits you," Kouga grabbed the mask that had pink feathers shooting out the sides of it and glitter along the eye-line as well as pink coloring, it over all looked like a mask someone would wear at a cabaret.

At least it only stops at the nose, Kagome was grateful for that at least.

"Ok," Kagome took the mask as put it on, "How do I look?"

"Beautiful madam," Kouga laughed and grabbed a mask. "Come on let's go and get this party started."

Kagome laughed, "Okay."

Maybe tonight, Kagome thought as she entered the club and saw everyone dancing, won't be so bad...

~^~^~^~^~^~^~^^~^~^~^~^^~^~^

Sesshomaru was wearing a suit; his white hair was falling down his back as he leaned over the balcony looking at the people dancing.

It looks like a fairytale scene, Sesshomaru thought.

If someone would've seen him from afar, they would have thought he was a handsome prince waiting for the perfect woman to arrive so that he may sweep her off her feet. However, he wasn't a prince, just a man who felt as though he was wasting his time.

Sesshomaru much preferred spending an evening with Kagome then being surrounded by a bunch of strangers and people he couldn't even pretend to bring himself to like.

It's going to be a long night, Sesshomaru thought.

"Ah, Sesshomaru-sama," Naraku entered the room on the balcony holding two champagne glasses and a bottle of scotch. "Enjoying the view?"

Sesshomaru turned around and took one of the glasses from Naraku's hand and sat down on the sofa placing it on top of the coffee table.

"Barely," Sesshomaru answered as he watched Naraku fill his drink up, "I very much would like we carry on with this proposition."

"Yes," Naraku nodded as he filled his glass up as well and placed the bottle on the table, "I do as well. I have a date that might be stolen away from me in a matter of moments."

Sesshomaru smirked, "Really?"

Naraku went on with his business as he stood over the balcony looking down to see if he could find Sango as he sipped his drink, "I want to start us to become business partners. I have an idea, and I feel since we both have great minds - combining would add to its success."

"Combining?"

Naraku nodded, "Yes. I want us to begin our own clothing line company. We can auction off in clubs like this."

"I'm more for property," Sesshomaru stared at his drink, "not for fashion. The industry of fashion disgusts even me-"

"But it can get us filthy rich," Naraku swallowed his whole drink in one gulp. "Wouldn't you like that?"

"I don't have an interest," Sesshomaru said coolly, "in being the owner of a sweat shop full of underpaid workers. I can't concur to your request. I'm sorry."

Naraku nodded, "I won't begin it without you. You have a week to change your mind-"

"I won't," Sesshomaru placed his drink down without a second thought. "I should be going."

Naraku leaned over the balcony and snapped, "Son of a bitch..."

What...

Sesshomaru fed into his curiosity and walked over to the balcony next to him, "What's your problem?"

"Heh," Naraku smirked, "My date Sango is dancing with a loser."

"Where," Sesshomaru followed Naraku's finger, and suddenly his eyes widened, "Naraku who are those two people with her?"

Naraku looked at Sesshomaru in the corner of his eyes and grimaced, "Kagome and Kouga. You know them?"

"Yes," Sesshomaru glared at Kouga, "Where does one go to get a mask?"

"I have one," Naraku answered, "You going to join the fun after all?"

"Of course," Sesshomaru said coolly, "Now that I found a reason."