InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Kagome, The Prized Possession ❯ Here with me ( Chapter 24 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Chapter 24: Here with me

Kagome leaned up at the sound of her phone ringing, "Hello..."

"Hey Kagome-chan," Sango said lowly on the other end.

Kagome sat up and glanced at her clock, "It's really early. Usually you don't call me this early. What's up?"

"Could you like come and pick me up from the hospital," Sango let out a breath. "I know it's early...I just want to be around someone familiar."

"Oh my god," Kagome gasped as she ripped the covers from off of her. "I'm coming. What hospital? Are you in any pain?"

Sango moaned, "My knuckles hurt..."

Maybe she got into a fight...

"Sango I'm getting a pen to write this stuff down," Kagome opened her dresser drawer and began rattling through her things. "Ok, pen and paper, pen and paper - found it. Now, tell me the address."

Sango explained it to her slowly so that she was able to write all the material down.

"I'm on my way," Kagome hung up and raced to the bathroom.

~*~

Kagome slammed her apartment door behind her and locked it, at the other end, Kouga was exiting his apartment as well; Kagome was too busy to notice as she raced down the stairs.

"Kagome, where are you headed," Kouga asked as he made his way down the stairs behind her. "You look worried, is everything ok?"

"My friend," Kagome unlocked the locks to the front door. "She called me from the hospital and - I don't know the details, just I have to get there in a hurry because she needs me."

"Well, hey," Kouga followed her down the stoop steps. "I can always drive you, you know. I have a car."

I'm glad somebody does, Kagome thought. I was going to take the damn subway.

"Thank you so much," Kagome smiled warmly, "I would really appreciate that."

"Sure," Kouga nodded his head to a black jeep across the street. "Let's cross and we'll be there in no time."

Kouga is such a great pal...

~*~

"Wake up, uncle Miroku and Inuyasha," Rin shook each one, "Breakfast time!"

"Breakfast," Inuyasha leaned up and looked at the little girl smiling before his eyes. "Breakfast..."

Rin nodded and grabbed his hand, "Sesshomaru wants to take us all out this morning so you have to brush your teeth and get ready."

Inuyasha noticed that the girl was in fact dressed, while he on the other hand had his silver hair all messy, dried saliva on the corner of his lip and half opened eyes, "The bastard feels guilty, eh?"

"Bastard," Rin repeated followed by a look of confusion on her face. "I said Sesshomaru."

Oh, she doesn't know the names I give the fruitcake, Inuyasha realized as he sat up and saw Miroku sitting up at the other end of the bed. It's probably best I remember she's a little kid and watch my profanity, English and Japanese.

"We're going to a nice place," Rin sat at the end of Miroku's bed. "You'll like it a lot."

Miroku smiled, "We'll like it a lot."

Rin nodded, "Yep."

"Ok," Miroku nodded. "I believe you. Let me and Inuyasha get dressed."

"I'm not going," Inuyasha rolled over.

Rin walked across the bed so that her face was to his, "Why?"

I can't stand Sesshomaru, he stole my girlfriend and now he wants to treat us to breakfast with over easy eggs...the guy is nuts.

"I'm sick," Inuyasha lied. "You guys go. I'll be okay."

"Well," Rin touched his messy silver hair with her small fingers as she said. "Well, we can order it so that it comes here. So you won't be sad. We can all eat inside here."

"Just go," Miroku told Inuyasha, "don't show the little girl the feelings you have for your brother. She looks up to him and us as her uncles so we must keep that in mind."

Damn you Miroku, always acting like you're some fucking Buddha.

Inuyasha scoffed as he sat up, rubbing the remaining sleep off his eyes, then used his arm to suddenly block the sun that was peering through the window.

I know today is just going to be rotten and horrible. I don't want to sit across from Sesshomaru. I can't STAND Sesshomaru and he can't stand me. He took my girlfriend away and, and...

"Rin could you get me the cordless phone?" Miroku asked. "I want to make a phone call before I hop in the shower."

Rin nodded and skipped out the room.

A phone call, Inuyasha grimaced. Who in the hell is this guy going to call? He didn't have a girlfriend when he left Japan and he doesn't have one now...no one will be that stupid to go out with him...

Miroku opened the drawer to the dresser beside him and pulled out a piece of paper, Inuyasha looked at him suspiciously in the corner of his eye.

What...the...hell...is...that?

Rin came back with the phone and handed it to Miroku, "Here you go!"
"Thanks," Miroku took the phone and looked over the paper carefully before dialing the numbers.

"What time is it Rin?" Inuyasha asked to lure himself away from Miroku's mystery call. He figured if it was important - he'd know about it later.

"I don't know how to tell time," Rin shrugged, "We're not up to that subject in school yet...sorry."

Rin is seven...what age do they teach these kids to tell time anyway - shit! I better go in the kitchen to find out myself.

"It's ok, I'll go in the kitchen and find out," Inuyasha said as he got up from the bed, Rin smiled and followed him.

As Inuyasha made his way to the kitchen, he noticed that Sesshomaru was sitting on one of the stools by the cutting board - conversing on the phone and dressed casual.

Just don't say anything to him...even if you want to punch him in the face on sight!

Inuyasha also remembered that Rin was behind him, so he played it cool as he stood there - scanning the kitchen with his eyes, searching for a clock.

He doesn't have a clock in the kitchen! He's rich for nothing! Where does his money go - probably to male go-go dancers?

Inuyasha laughed to himself when suddenly he saw that Sesshomaru had a wrist watch, but his arm was at an angle where he couldn't just see the time for himself and he rolled his eyes.

I don't care about time that much to ask him what time it is... Inuyasha knew. Why do I care what time it is anyway?

"Yes," Sesshomaru nodded. "I understand that - no, I don't understand that. No, we're not going to lower the price or negotiate. If he can't afford it than he shouldn't be interested in buying property that exceeds his means."

Inuyasha sat at the table and rested his chin on his hand.

I just love to listen to my brother's conversation. It's just so interesting and just so...ugh...even I can detect my own sarcasm.

Rin sat next to him and smiled, "Do you want some juice?"

Might as well...

"What kind?" Inuyasha asked.

"Look," Sesshomaru's voice was impatient. "I'm not going to lower the price. This is realty, if he can't cough up the amount it takes to purchase that penthouse then...need I say more?"

"Orange, apple-"Rin paused as she thought.

"I'll take apple," Inuyasha said finally as he saw his brother's golden eyes widen all of sudden.

The person on the other end must have said something over the hill. Sesshomaru keeps his cool, but there's always something that's the last straw for everyone.

Sesshomaru suddenly chuckled and said smoothly, "If he thinks he can convince to sell then I'll meet him later on this evening. If you'll excuse me...I wish to have breakfast with my daughter now. Bye."

Sesshomaru closed his cell phone and glanced at Inuyasha, Rin was carrying the bottle of apple juice from the fridge - struggling to bring the heavy container to the table.

"I got that," Inuyasha got up and took the juice from her hands. "You have all the time in the world to get some muscles to carry stuff like this, but it won't be today cutie-pie."

Rin giggled.

Sesshomaru glanced at Rin taking a seat next to Inuyasha.

"Do you know where the glasses are?" Inuyasha asked Rin, not daring to look at Sesshomaru in the face.

"I have some cups in my room," Rin turned around and ran out the kitchen.

Don't go! Damn, now I'm in here with queer eye for the silver-haired guy.

Sesshomaru cleared his throat, "Father wishes you register for the spring semester this afternoon. He asked me to accompany you because we both know how impaired you are."

Inuyasha's fist tightened.

He's starting again...

Sesshomaru smirked when he noticed Inuyasha's angry expression.

That did it!

"Look, save your smart remarks ok," Inuyasha snapped. "I'm not in the mood for you. I have a lot on my mind. Don't piss me off."

Sesshomaru didn't present the slightest bit of concern for his younger brother's feeling as he added, "I'll be taking you in a few minute since I'm on schedule for a meeting this afternoon. Though, Rin was excited to have us all eat together - we'll have to postpone it."

"Boo-hoo," Inuyasha mocked. "I wouldn't want to eat with you anyway - I don't want to be confused with one of your MALE lovers."

"Kagome," Sesshomaru smiled wickedly, "is not a man."

Inuyasha slammed his fist on the table and yelled, "Well that'll be a fucking first!"

Sesshomaru chuckled, "Your comments are getting old. Maybe I should purchase you a book called, `Cool comebacks - the idiot edition'."

"Why you," Inuyasha got up from the table, but Rin was coming back with two small plastic teacups.

Sesshomaru is not worth it...

Rin took a seat at the table and set the cups down, "We can drink it as if we were having tea, but tea that's cold and not hot."

Inuyasha glanced at the cups and frowned.

That cup is small as hell...you can't give that to a grown man...

Inuyasha suddenly smiled, "Ok. I'll pour."

Rin smiled warmly as she glanced at Sesshomaru, "You want some too - you can have my cup."

Sesshomaru smiled, "No. Rin, I have to take Inuyasha with me in a few minutes so we can't all eat together, but you can order something or I'll leave money so you can go shopping with Miroku."

"Shopping with Miroku," Rin smiled brightly. "What kind of shopping?"

"Food," Sesshomaru chuckled at her disappointed face. "We ran out. If you behave I'll take you out this weekend."

"Ok," Rin nodded as she watched Inuyasha pour the juice in her cup.

I don't want to be alone with this, this...

"Inuyasha," Sesshomaru began after a moment. "You have thirty minutes to get dressed. I don't have all day."

Inuyasha scoffed as he looked away, "Whatever."

~*~

"He did that!" Kouga said startled as he drove with the two girls in the back seat. "I can't believe it. I guess there always was something about that guy that - that was just weird."

Ironically, Sango was holding a crying Kagome in her arms, they freshly got out of the hospital where Kagome had seen her friend's hands bandaged up from the wounds she received from punching too hard. It was too much for Kagome even more so when she stopped and imagined all the things that could've happened to Sango out of nowhere.

Sango could've gotten killed, Kagome kept thinking to herself.

It was true; many things could and did happen between vicious quarrels. Lucky for them, Sango was a trained fighter - those after school classes she took throughout her middle and high school years made her more than capable of handling a fight, but that wasn't something to help you to sleep at night. No one had the right to put their hands on anyone else - it was...wrong.

Kagome buried her face into Sango's chest and held her tighter than she'd ever recalled doing in her entire life, her mind was reeling with negative thoughts that she just couldn't shake.

I wish Naraku would just die! If he hurt Sango, I would so try to kill him! There was something about him, Kagome thought as she sobbed. I wish I saw it earlier.

A thought might as well have fell from the sky when it entered Kagome's head just then.

How do you know for sure...if a man would do that?

The question was quite complex and couldn't be simplified. How do you know if a guy is that kind of guy that would hit a girl? There's a wide range of explanations out there from people with stories from their own experience, but which one was certain? Some said if a guy hit's you once then break up with him because he'll do it again, but that means you had to wait for him to hit you - is there a way to know he's abusive before hand - if so, was that certain?

Kagome leaned up from Sango's embrace and wiped her eyes with the back of her hands.

"You ok," Sango asked as she gave Kagome a warm smile.

Kagome nodded, lying.

I'm not ok...

The only thing one could truly say and Kagome knew, is that abuse isn't always physical and it's not always inflicted on woman by men, but also on men by WOMEN! In the end, it all balls down to consideration and respect. If you consider the feelings of your partner and respect them then you will even if a confrontation was to arise. Even if the confrontation was quite heated, the consideration for one another and the respect that exists between the two should be enough to prevent the action of over-stepping a boundary. Still, even that idea is up for debate for it's in a matter of opinion - not everyone's opinion either.

Kagome was surprised that in all her thoughts, she never imagined Sesshomaru suddenly turning around and hitting her!

It's possible, Kagome frowned.

Even if it was possible - so is the end of the world, so were plenty of other things - yet and still she couldn't imagine him doing that. Kagome couldn't imagine him doing that even if she wanted to find ways to put doubt into her own relationship. She didn't deny it could happy...she just didn't get that feeling of doubt when she was next to him.

Kagome glanced at Sango and saw her face was tight.

Maybe she was still angry about what just happened...

"I'm sorry things got so physical," Kouga still focused on the road. "No one has the right to put their hands on anyone else and I mean NO ONE. If only it could have ended like the `shake hands, it's over' sort of way, but sadly... Anyway! I know this is probably immature of me to say, but I bet Naraku got the shock of his life when you fought him back and broke his nose. He must've been so sure he had a handle on things."

Sango shrugged and glanced down at the bandages on her hands, "Naraku was just trying to scare me; I think he might've thought that if he scared me then I would be with him and possibly he would try to regulate me in other ways using fear."

Kouga nodded, "Yea, I heard about those kinds of guys. They put the word `man' to shame. Though you were the victor in the battle, and the neighbors who called the police witnessed this - maybe you ought to think about moving."

Kouga is right, Kagome thought.

"Moving?" Sango chuckled. "I am not afraid of Naraku."

"I never said you were," Kouga pointed out. "Just remember, rich guys like him don't understand rejection because they're so used to getting what they want. I don't think Naraku will stop pestering you just yet. Again, I'm not saying you're weak or anything. Just to be on the safe side - maybe you should stay with Kagome for a few days until you find another place of your own."

Yes! I would feel much better if she lived with me!

"No," Sango mumbled, "Kagome's apartment is incredibly small. I like my house - all my stuff is there-"

"Sango," Kagome glared at her. "Don't you dare defend that cheap furniture to anyone; ok! I think living with me would be a good thing. It's not forever, just until you look for another place. Room is not so important...we don't need a large place anyway-"

"You know..." Kouga began, "I have an extra room you are welcome to squeeze into if you want. I was just going to make it - a personal gym I think."

No, that's too much.

"Thanks," Kagome said sweetly, "but Sango is all mine, whether she wants to be or not. We'll just put her stuff in storage and...Get some clothes-"

Sango said something other her breath.

Sango is so stubborn...

"What time you want to do this?" Kouga asked. "If you decide to do this later on this afternoon then...I could help transport some of your stuff."

"Really," Kagome smiled warmly. "That's really nice of you, but storage will take her stuff. All Sango needs is some clothes and a tooth brush. You driving me to the hospital; and us from it to go back to Sango's place saved us a lot of money. Really Kouga, whoever your wife is..."

"Don't say that," Kouga blushed. "I don't want to think of marriage. I got some more partying to do before I am attached to a chain."

"I hear that," Sango agreed.

Well, Kagome thought happily. I am glad Sango is alright. That's all that matters to me right now.

~*~

"Aren't you going to cross your legs?" Inuyasha asked as he sat next to his older sibling in the back seat of a cab. "Don't stop because I'm here."

Sesshomaru was looking through college listings, ignoring his younger brother's outbursts of immaturity.

If we're picking out colleges than maybe Miroku should've came with us, Inuyasha thought. Oh, but then Sesshomaru would need someone to watch Rin. I would certainly like to see who Rin's babysitter is because if one night Miroku and I want to go out for drinks - I don't want us to have to worry about her.

"I believe it's in your best interest to consider a community college," Sesshomaru said after a pause. "A community college is less expensive and from what I heard they try to cater to their students' individual needs. Also, upon completing two years at an accredited community college, you could transfer to a university to continue your education."

"You didn't go to a community college," Inuyasha snapped. "I am not stupid."

"You're being stupid," Sesshomaru said flatly. "I had a high GPA and I actually took the SAT and ACT exam to be accepted into a school upon getting an above average grade on both exams. You and I are in a different situation, a community college requires the completion of the ACT exam for your class placement - not the SAT."

"I could pass both," Inuyasha scoffed. "Why do you think I can't?"

Sesshomaru turned his golden eyes to his brother and smiled, "Every time I call you stupid - you prove to me more and more that you are."

Inuyasha's jaw dropped.

That ass hole! He's always starting...

"I never said you couldn't pass it," Sesshomaru finished. "I meant it was complex - it was complex even for me, however, I was more determined."

"And I'm not?"

"You're not," Sesshomaru leaned his head back and wrapped his arms around his chest. "Just remember this, you all of a sudden decided you want to make a difference in your life - the reason escapes me and truthfully I don't care. You can't throw yourself into to a bucket of poison and expect yourself to come out unaffected. If you want to get into a university then you must study for the SAT and ACT exam. You have to get a good score if not perfect."

"I can..." Inuyasha leaned his head back and wrapped his arms around his chest as well. "I just don't know what to study..."

Sesshomaru snorted and opened the college-listing book, "You have the option of going to a community college or...Princeton review, even Kaplan."

Inuyasha raised an eyebrow.

"Princeton, Kaplan," Inuyasha was confused.

"Those are schools that help you pass the SAT and ACT," Sesshomaru glanced at his watch. "Though I am still rooting for a community college because at least you'll be-"

"I want to go to Princeton review," Inuyasha stated. "I can pass the SAT."

If Sesshomaru can do that shit then I can too...

Sesshomaru nodded, "It's settled then. I'll phone father and tell him of your decision."

Phone my father...

Inuyasha frowned.

I'm a grown man...

~*~

Kagome was folding Sango's clothes as she placed them in a large open suitcase on top of the bed.

"Kagome," Sango called from the living room. "You know any cheap storage places?"

Cheap storage places, Kagome pondered. Not one...

"No," Kagome yelled back as she carried on packing Sango's stuff. "How much are you willing to spend?"

Sango sat on the living room sofa and frowned, "I don't have A LOT of money. Let's just forget this whole thing you know? I'm sure Naraku won't be coming back after our encounter. Come on, I broke his nose."

Kagome stormed out of Sango's bedroom to approach her, "Naraku broke your door and slapped you. I don't think this guy is - he's dangerous. The only way he'll forget you is if you suddenly disappear."

Kagome suddenly realized that the word disappear could be a connotation for something else.

I should be more...careful...with my words.

"I'm screwed as far as money is concerned," Sango shrugged. "To suddenly get up and go requires money...and I don't have a lot. It's not that I don't understand that you want me to go...it's just I'm really lacking."

"Ok," Kagome sat on the sofa next to her friend. "Just how much do you have?"

"Eh," Sango laughed nervously. "Not enough to do much."

Kagome frowned.

I don't need to know the exact amount to know she's basically broke...how much more do I need to know? I don't have a lot of money myself. I need to be looking for a job soon. Yea, we're in trouble.

"That's why I should stay here and just try to get a bigger lock," Sango suggested.

No... Kagome grimaced. I can't allow that...what good is a bigger lock? You can't keep yourself locked in all the time and like forever.

"While you're trying to find away to accept it," Sango reached for her phone and glanced at her caller ID. "I'll check my messages to see if I got more life-threatening calls."

There's got to be away to... Kagome bawled a fist. I got to think of something. There has to be away!

"Oh shit, Sesshomaru's name is on my caller ID," Sango laughed. "I think Miroku called me from his house phone."

That's it!

Kagome suddenly snatched the phone from Sango's hands.

"Hey," Sango reprimanded.

"Look, shush," Kagome pressed phone so the phone would automatically dial the numbers on the caller ID.

"Who are you calling?" Sango asked annoyed.

"Miroku," Kagome answered and suddenly ran into Sango's bedroom to flee a protest.

"Kagome," Sango followed. "Get back here! What are you calling him for?"

I have to consider all possibilities...

~*~

"Look at all these menus," Miroku grimaced. "I just don't know where to begin."

Miroku sat at the kitchen with Rin beside them and a collection of menus in front of them.

"And all these places deliver?" Miroku asked.

Rin nodded.

Heh, so we won't have to go through too much, Miroku thought.

"What would you like to eat?" Miroku picked five menus and held them before Rin. "Even better - pick one."

"I don't like Italian and I don't like Japanese food much," Rin stated.

What! She doesn't like Japanese food?

"You don't like Japanese food?" Miroku had to ask to make perfectly sure his ears didn't deceive him.

Rin shook her head, "I don't like Sushi. Let's get Jamaican food!"

Miroku frowned, "Jamaican?"

Rin nodded, "Here I'll get the phone and-"

The phone started ringing.

No need to do much after that. I wonder why that hot girl Sango wasn't home. A girl should be home at this time in the morning. Unless Sango is one of those girls who hangs out all kinds of hours in the night and flirt with men she has NO intentions on being with.

Miroku shook the thoughts from his mind and picked up the phone, "Hello?"

"Miroku this is Kagome," Kagome was talking rapidly. "Listen, my friend thinks you're so hot that you stay warm in the winter time - can cause global warming - light a cigarette with no match!"

Is this some kind of a joke? Miroku wondered. Wait...Kagome...

"What?" Miroku's voiced trailed. "Kagome...Inuyasha's ex?"

"Don't listen to her!"

Oh, another voice, Miroku realized. My spicy...sexy...

"Look, this is Sango," Sango had succeeded in taking the phone. "I'm sorry. My friend is a bit-"

"Sango," Miroku gasped.

Rin frowned, "I thought we were going to eat breakfast together. Well, at the moment it's lunchtime."

"In a minute Rin," Miroku pleaded. "It's someone important-"

Rin frowned, but nodded.

"Ask him," Miroku could hear Kagome say in the background in sharp whispers.

"Miroku," Sango perfectly ignored Kagome. "I planned on returning your call much later where I didn't have anyone being ANNOYING around me. I can't really talk much now, but I would like to phone you later. Can I?"

Of course...but what about what Kagome was saying?

"Was there something you wanted to ask me?" Miroku blurted out. He was obviously trying to keep Sango on the phone for as long as he was able to. "Was there something wrong in general?"

"Ask," Kagome yelled in the background.

"Shush," Sango said to her friend before directing herself back to Miroku, "Listen, my friend is a mental case that escaped the records. I had a situation and she was outlandishly suggesting to me that I have a gentlemen sort of stay with me for a few days-"

And they thought about me...

Rin huffed and yanked Miroku's shirt.

"Stay and do what?" Miroku suddenly stopped himself upon realizing the virgin ears below him. "Why would you want a man - whatever?"

Sango snorted, "I don't. I just had a situation and a nutty friend that made a suggestion. I can't really talk so can I call you later?"

A situation...I wonder...

"Hey, you know," Miroku smiled down at the annoyed Rin. "I am doing a favor for Sesshomaru right now so I can't talk either. However, later on, if you want me to swing by for whatever reason I'd be more than willing."

There was a pause.

"...OK..." Sango said finally. "I'll call you."

Sango hung up and Miroku stared at the phone bewildered.

She's so rude, but that's all the more reason to...

"Can we order now?" Rin asked.

Miroku let out a breath and nodded.

~*~

"Well," Kagome began. "What did he say?"

Sango was on the sofa with her legs crossed as her friend sat beside her with the most desperate-looking facial expression she'd ever seen.

Kagome is desperate to keep me safe, Sango thought. She's more worried about the situation than I am. I'm not even thinking about Naraku even though I should. I didn't think Naraku would be so forceful, but things happen. I don't understand why Kagome thought having another guy over would make some significant difference to the problem. Then when I think hard enough, I can only guess that if Naraku comes by again - seeing another guy here would help the hint be known even though Naraku might not be convinced that easily.

"He said he would, but later on," Sango answered. "I don't need any man here Kagome-chan. I think I should put that in the air right now. Don't be scared for me alright? It's not that big a deal."

"You're right," Kagome said. "I'll stay with you. I'll move in with you. Your apartment is bigger than mine. I should've suggested it earlier. I just thought Miroku was a nice guy."

Is she trying to play matchmaker at a time like this? Sango wondered.

"I'm alright by myself," Sango stated. "I don't need anyone here with me-"

Kagome frowned.

"-but," Sango finished. "I would rather you be with me at a time like this than anyone else. I want you here."

Kagome wrapped her arms around Sango so tight that Sango yelped.

"Sorry," Kagome said. "This will be so fun. I'll ask Kouga if he can help me get my stuff over here and I'll stay here for a while to make sure everything is alright with you."

Sango grimaced, "Alrighty..."

A/N: Next chapter I think everyone will like; Sango in need and Kagome staying with her - at a house where a crazy man visits asking why Sango doesn't want to be with him. I wonder who's going to be the heroine. Next chapter will be long and a lot is going to be taken care of haha. Be patient and thank you all for your time.