InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Kagome, The Prized Possession ❯ Strength Revealed ( Chapter 25 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Chapter 25: Strength revealed

It was 6PM and Kagome (with Kouga's help) was able to transport some of her clothes over to Sango's house. It was Sango that insisted it only be her clothes - she still didn't believe that Kagome should move in because of someone as insignificant as Naraku.

"You know," Kouga said as he walked to the door. "If you gals are you know in need of anything - you know my cell phone number. I'm just a few blocks away."

Kagome smiled as she said, "You've done enough, but I will call you later to let you know how we made out, alright?"

Kouga nodded and walked down the stairs, Kagome locked the door behind him.

He is such a nice guy, Kagome thought to herself.

Sango took Kagome's bag of clothes and brought it into the bedroom.

"You got any extra blankets so I can crash on the sofa," Kagome called as she grabbed a broom and started sweeping some of the knocked-over contents on the floor to the corner of the room.

Sango poked her head out her bedroom and glared at Kagome, "Don't be ridiculous. You're sleeping with me."

Kagome smiled, "Sango you're so sudden..."

Sango laughed, "You know you like it."

Kagome set up the stand and put the lamp back on top of it.

Damn, I'm surprised the sofa isn't upside down and all disarray. Oh well, Kagome shrugged, there was a fight. Nothing ever looks nice after that.

It took Kagome about thirty minutes to really tidy up the place: sweeping up the trash, placing things in order, wiping the table, and doing the dishes. It was then she realized that not everything that looked out of shape could be blamed on the brawl - Sango didn't do dishes; it was too apparent after entering the kitchen.

"What are we eating tonight?" Sango made the bed and fluffed the pillows before she entered the living room again. "Wow..."

Kagome turned to Sango and noticed her eyes were wide from amazement at how good the place looked even after a few minutes. The place looked better than Sango anticipated.

"You know," Sango couldn't get the smile off her face. "Living with you would be a dream - living with me is the nightmare."

Kagome smiled.

I like keeping a tidy place. Poor Sango hardly does that for her place, I guess because she has a tendency to absent-minded sometimes. She doesn't stop to think about dishes or such things. I suppose since she's a genius in school, in the end, worrying about dishes didn't compare.

"What do you want to have for dinner?" Sango walked to her kitchen and opened her refrigerator, "On second thought..."

"What is it now?" Kagome walked to the kitchen herself and glanced at the refrigerator from behind Sango, "Oh..."

It was sad.

Kagome shook her head.

"Well, I guess I'm all out of practical things to cook," Sango shrugged as she closed the fridge.

Kagome grimaced as she opened up the fridge and grabbed a bag of cold left over Doritos that she held up for Sango to see, "Sango, this is Doritos. Is this what you've been living off of? Or perhaps, the captain crunch and the three cup of noodles-"

"Leave me alone," Sango moaned. "I don't shop much. I usually do it at the end of the month. Look, we can always have take out you know."

"I think that's what got you in trouble," Kagome suggested as she let out a breath. "What are we going to do?"

There was a pause.

Sango...Kagome thought. I think up `till now, Naraku is the LEAST of our worries. What just might happen here is starvation.

"Well," Sango said finally. "Let's eat the ramen noodles. I can drop an egg in there so it can be like egg-drop soup."

Kagome looked heavenward.

"What's the matter?" Sango asked after she noticed. "You like that don't you?"

"Sango-san," Kagome put the Doritos back in the fridge and sat down on the sofa. "You don't have eggs, you don't have...food."

Sango wrapped her arms around her chest, "Well I can go get some. I am not totally in the Inu-house."

"Nah," Kagome shook her head. "I don't want you walking the streets at this time and besides - supermarkets usually start closing about now anyway."

"So, we'll get take out," Sango shrugged. "They deliver around here."

"Don't get take out," Kagome rolled over on the sofa. "I'll go to a regular store late and get miniature stuff that can last long you know."

"Are you tired?" Sango asked.

"I was up early," Kagome yawned.

"Well get in the bed," Sango yawned too. "I'll eat when you wake up so we can eat together. I'm going to hang out here for a little bit and maybe take a nap later myself."

"Ok," Kagome got up and walked to Sango's bedroom, shutting the door behind her; she lied down and closed her eyes.

Why do I have the feeling that this is going to be a long night?

~*~

Sesshomaru had a busy day, riding up and down Manhattan with Inuyasha, and meeting a cheap old man to negotiate a price for a loft he MIGHT be interested in. When he went to his bedroom he was surprised that Rin didn't even run to the door and greet him like she usually did, but there was laughter coming from the kitchen, which meant she was happy - that's all that mattered.

Sesshomaru kicked off his shoes and sat at the end of the bed, he was tired and there were times where he thought he'd never be able to get some rest. The night he spent with Kagome drained him of all his energy - yet replenished him, but not to accompany Inuyasha or to make business deals.

He wanted to spend more time with Kagome and maybe share another tender moment, but she hadn't called him all day to his surprise - he even left his cell phone on which he didn't normally do. He didn't want to miss her call.

A call that never arrived...

Maybe, Sesshomaru thought as a smile worked its way to his lips. I wore Kagome out too much that she slept most of the day...

No... That couldn't be it. Sesshomaru remembered that Kagome was quite lively so she wouldn't be sleeping all day and if she did she still would've called. He knew she enjoyed herself as much as he did when they slept together till that incident.

The salt...

Sesshomaru grimaced as he lifted his shirt over his head and unbuckled his pants.

It was embarrassing to fall, while in the act of love making but he was too focused on having Kagome climax a few more times than to focus on something as insignificant as slipping on salt.

But no, that was trailing off point.

Sesshomaru wanted so badly to hear from Kagome today - even if the conversation was short. He couldn't shake the feeling forming in the back of his mind that something bad happened.

"She would call and tell me," Sesshomaru hoped.

He knew that ever since they told each other how they felt for each other that it was only natural that in a time of need...

Sesshomaru instantly responded to his cell phone at the first ring, "Hello."

"Sesshomaru," it was Kouga.

Sesshomaru grimaced and lied back down in the bed accepting defeat.

Kagome isn't going to call me, is she? He wondered.

"What's up?" Sesshomaru's voice was empty and drained. It was one of those voices people used to show the person on the other end that they were expecting a call, but from someone else...

"Look," Kouga let out a breath. "It's none of my business and I probably shouldn't be telling you this just for the record..."

Shouldn't be telling me what? Sesshomaru wondered.

A horde of possibilities entered Sesshomaru's head just then, and there was only one thing that was certain - something did happen and more than likely it was bad.

Saying the first thing that his lips could utter, "Did something happen...?"

Kouga let out another breath.

Sesshomaru knew something did as he did everything in reverse to get himself ready to fly back out the house again.

I just hope whatever it is; it's not too bad...

"Look," Kouga blurted after a pause. "I'm just telling you this because I know you and Kagome are an item and if I was Kagome's boyfriend I would want to know something like this happened too."

"Something like what?" Despite Sesshomaru's anxiousness to know, he was rather patient with Kouga. "I don't understand."

"Ok," Kouga started from the top. "Kagome's best friend Sango broke up with some guy named Naraku and early this morning he comes to her house and physically assaults her. Kagome is afraid he'll come back so she's staying at Sango's for a while. I don't know if he will come back but it's likely. That guy looks kind of weird. I'm telling you because I'm not being chauvinist, but I think I guy should be there in case something happened."

Naraku... Sesshomaru knew that Kagome wouldn't let Sango get hurt and if something was to happen - Kagome would in fact fight as well. It made him sick to his stomach to imagine a guy hitting a girl, angry because she didn't want to be with him any longer. A man should have more pride and sense.

"I see," Sesshomaru still remained calm. He was good at that; there was never a need to panic. You always had to be composed about these things. "Do you know how to get to Sango's house? Could you give me her address?"

"Give me yours and I'll drive you there," Kouga swallowed a big chunk of air. "I know Kagome is going to hate me for this...I should've kept my mouth shut - but better safe than sorry right? Shit, I even offered to bunk there or let Sango stay with me for a while."

"Ok," Sesshomaru stood up. "I live at..."

~*~

Inuyasha saw Sesshomaru coming down the stairs and he shut the TV off and got up from the sofa, "Where are you going?"

Sesshomaru looked at him and grimaced, "Since when do you care?"

Sesshomaru looks like he has something on his mind, Inuyasha realized. I wonder if it has anything to do with Kagome. I sure hope not...

Despite himself, Inuyasha found that he was asking, "How is Kagome? Is she okay?"

Sesshomaru put on his leather jacket and zipped it up; he didn't have the patience to say anything but, "I don't know."

"I'm coming with you," Inuyasha looked away and said lowly. "I know Kagome and I aren't together anymore, but I still want to be there when she needs me. I want to come!"

"Nonsense," Sesshomaru began to untwist the locks.

No..., Inuyasha thought.

Inuyasha suddenly slammed his hand down on the door so Sesshomaru couldn't open it. It was in that very instant that Inuyasha was taken aback by the unsuspected fist plummeting to the side of his face.

Shit...

Inuyasha fell to the ground and saw that Sesshomaru was coming at him to administer another blow.

"Come on bitch," Inuyasha snapped as he prepared himself as well.

Miroku quickly came out the bedroom and got between them.

Damn you Miroku! If this guy wants to fight...we'll fight!

"Wait a minute," Miroku snapped, "Everyone just cool it. There's a little girl in the other room."

Inuyasha noticed that having been reminded of Rin's presence, Sesshomaru calmed down a little bit, but even he admitted that it wasn't like Sesshomaru to just hit him without a hint of warning.

Something bad happened... Inuyasha thought.

"I have to go," Sesshomaru grabbed the knob to the door, but Inuyasha got up quick, preventing him from pulling it open.

You're not going unless I'm coming!

"I don't have time for your nonsense," Sesshomaru said as coldly as a winter's breeze. "Move out of my way."

"Something happened and you're not leaving without me," Inuyasha swore to him.

Sesshomaru balled a fist and glared at Inuyasha, "Little brother..."

Miroku, quickly noticing another brawl said quickly, "Come on, let's act like men. Let's discuss this...I mean Inuyasha still cares for Kagome, he acknowledges that you're with her now - he's not trying anything just you know..."

"Look," Sesshomaru turned his glare to Miroku. "I am not at liberty to consider his feelings. I don't have time to deal with him anymore. I don't have time to discuss this with either of you."

"Fine," Miroku started talking fast, "I understand that. I'm not saying anything against it, but if something did happen don't you want Inuyasha to be there with you - are you going to fight, or whatever? If this concerns Kagome, Inuyasha cares too - if you don't care that's something else, but Kagome right now could be in trouble. If you were Inuyasha and you still cared for her - would you want to sit by and do nothing?"

Sesshomaru turned his eyes back to Inuyasha and grimaced.

Yes, Kagome is with him now, Inuyasha reminded himself suddenly.

"She's with me now," Sesshomaru said after a pause.

"I know," Inuyasha snapped. "I know!"

There're plenty of things I've forgotten, but not that...how could I? Kagome, she knows who she wants. It isn't me...ever since the argument...in her eyes...

"Is this another attempt to try and take her away from me?" Sesshomaru asked despite himself. "You can't."

"Look," Inuyasha yelled. "I know me and Kagome aren't together anymore. It's over. We're finished - I'm not trying to do anything. I accept it."

I accept it... Inuyasha thought about the last words to his sentence.

I accept it...

Inuyasha looked away, stunned by his own words.

Do I mean what I say? I care for Kagome, but she doesn't want to be with me and there's nothing I can do about it. I was in the wrong to have that argument with her and call her names; I didn't mean what I said. I love her even though...

Miroku looked at his friend and even he was surprised at his statement.

...she's not with me...

Sesshomaru opened the door and held it open for Inuyasha, "Coming?"

Inuyasha tore himself from his thoughts and nodded.

I would never let anything happen to Kagome. I love her and always will and I want her in my life. If to have her in my life means to accept that she's gone from me, then I have no other choice. I accept it, I mean it.

"I'll tuck Rin in," Miroku turned around and started walking to the bedroom.

Sesshomaru let Inuyasha pass him, but he didn't budge, "Miroku, I think you should come with us."

"What about Rin?" Miroku pointed to the bedroom door. "You can't leave her here by herself!"

"Of course not," Sesshomaru smiled. "I leave her with my neighbor next door."

"Oh..." Miroku grimaced. "Why you do want ME to come?"

"I don't want to fight with my brother," Sesshomaru didn't look at him when he spoke. "You're the only one who dared to come between Inuyasha and I. That's courageous."

Miroku laughed shortly, "That's fucking stupid actually, but I suppose I did it for Rin. She's a cute kid."

Sesshomaru nodded and went to the bedroom, "I'll get her."

Inuyasha peeked in the door again.

"Where is Sesshomaru?" He asked. "I walked to the elevator and realized no one was behind me."

When I see Kagome and find out she's ok, I'll apologize to her and make everything right again...between us - for friendship.

Miroku shook his head and sighed, "Inuyasha, just what kind of idiot are you?"

~*~

Kouga's eyes widened at the three men coming towards his car, he wasn't in the driver's side, but leaning against the passengers door with his hands in his pocket.

Sesshomaru shook his hand, "I hope there's room."

"Shit of course," Kouga walked in the street and turned to get to the driver's side where he sat down. "Come on, the door is open."

Inuyasha looked at Kouga up and down and grimaced.

Isn't this guy a bit too pretty to be friend with Sesshomaru, Inuyasha thought? I never thought Sesshomaru could have such friends...

~*~

Kagome opened her eyes and saw that Sango was sleeping beside her, she really looked like a ravened-haired angel - so peaceful looking.

You had a big day too, Kagome thought as she caressed Sango's face with her hand. I hope things work out for you soon. I hope all this blows over and we'll wake up from it like a bad dream and everything will be great.

Kagome heard the phone ringing in the kitchen and slid off the bed slowly to get it. She was still a little tired, but she couldn't rest like she wanted to unless she was in her own bed, in her own house.

"Hello," Kagome said after she yawned.

"Sango," it was Naraku's voice. "Could you please put her on the phone?"

Kagome wanted to hang up, as she felt her heart beat rapidly - things weren't going to blow over as she hoped they would've. Naraku still called meaning he hadn't gotten over Sango - meaning he could be coming back there to try to hurt her like he did this morning. Kagome was not one for confrontation, but one thing was for sure...

She wasn't going to let anyone hurt her best friend!

"She doesn't want anything to do with you," Kagome's voice wasn't exactly threatening; the first word actually came out like a bit of a stammer. "We'd appreciate it if you didn't call here anymore."

"Look," Naraku's voice reminded her of the last clicks of an alarm clock before it went off in loud rings. There was a limit to his patience, and after hearing Kagome's statement it was clear that he had reached it. "You don't understand. None of you do. I love Sango and we're going to be together. Could you please give her the phone?"

Kagome's eyebrows lowered and her small hand gripped the phone tight on the verge of her own little explosion. Everything didn't matter; not nervousness, not being polite, or even being afraid. Sango was more important than any of the emotions that might've prevented her from saying what she was going to...

"Look," Kagome snapped. "Are you stupid? Do you want me to spell it out for you? My friend doesn't want to be with you anymore. She doesn't need a reason; she doesn't have to hold up a sign. It's not happening anymore so I suggest you suck it out you pretentious asshole and leave it alone."

"This has nothing to do with you," Naraku snapped back. "Put her on, now!"

"You know," Kagome gripped the phone tighter. "Every time you call, I'm going to pick up this phone. Every time you come over, I'm going to answer the door. I'm going to do everything in my power to make you realize that Sango doesn't need you, she doesn't want you and she has people who care about her genuinely. Personally, I'm glad she got rid of you so then she can finally have time to find someone worth her time. Understand?"

"Just who do you think you are?"

"Come over here," Kagome's voice was colder than she'd ever realized - she even felt uncomfortable herself because she knew she was jumping out of her nice and warm persona. "And I'll show you who I am, and let me tell you something right now, you're not going to like it."

"Is that so?"

"I dare you," Kagome's eyes were cold now as well. "To come near Sango again...I won't need the police."

"You..."

Kagome slammed the phone down and felt her heart beating even more rapidly, suffering from her own outer-body-shock; she sat down on the sofa and stared at the wall. It was as if the real Kagome took a vacation and left nothing behind, but an arctic wind that was still blowing like a storm.

I can't believe what I just did...

Somewhere inside Kagome, she knew that she meant what she said - she wasn't a violent person, but the thought of something happening to Sango because of him was reason enough to leave everything that was lukewarm aside and become all cold-blooded for the cause. She loved Sango...he wouldn't leave her alone; he probably won't leave her alone.

"Damn it," Kagome breathe.

"Kagome-chan," it was Sango's voice.

Sango was leaning in the doorway with her arms wrapped around her chest, her dark eyes narrowed on her friend - looking at her differently then she'd ever had before...seeing her in a new light.

"You're up," was all Kagome said, still breathing - not turning around to look at her directly, "How long?"

Sango let out a breath and sat beside a very still Kagome who still looked away from her.

Kagome knew that if she looked into Sango's face she would cry; she would throw herself into her arms and cry imagining all the bad things that could've happen to her since Naraku wouldn't leave her alone.

Relax, Kagome told herself.

Kagome was still overwhelmed by the sudden change in emotions, how genuine it was how much she meant it and somewhere inside of her she longed to be innocent again where everything wasn't as bad.

Please don't cry, Kagome prayed.

Where the harsh realities of life was still a mystery...

Sango wrapped her arm around her shoulder and immediately Kagome turned around and buried her face into her chest, she couldn't help it, she didn't want to, but her soul was always bare to Sango so why shouldn't it be now?

"Sango," Kagome said through sobbing. "I'm weak. I should be stronger...I want to be stronger than this..."

"Kagome no baka," Sango said softly. "You are strong."

Kagome lifted her head up from Sango's chest so that her glistening dark eyes met up with Sango's solid dark ones.

"Why do I always have to tell you?" Sango smiled and Kagome found her face buried into her chest against - she couldn't lose Sango's smile, strength, worth, or assurance.

She didn't want anything to happen to her friend...

There was a knock at the door.

Kagome's head shot up, and her eyes widened.

That's him! Kagome thought. He's at the door.

Sango was pushing Kagome lightly away from her so that she was able to rise up and get the door.

No...

"Stay here," Sango said as she walked to the door.

He's here...and he wants to hurt Sango!

Without hesitance, Kagome pushed Sango roughly to the side, and unlocked the door.

I'll kill that bastard!

Kagome's was so furious that she was out of control, she couldn't even see anymore as she opened the door, shut her eyes and swung with all her might.

Sango's eyes widened, "Kagome-chan!"

Kagome did hit something hard, as she suddenly stood there still with her eyes shut.

I hit him...I did!

Sango ran passed Kagome and opened the door wide to see, "Miroku, Inuyasha, and Kouga - Sesshomaru!"

Kagome opened her eyes at the sound of Sesshomaru's name being called and saw that when she hit something - it was him.

Whoops... Kagome thought.

Sesshomaru's whole left cheek was red and slightly puffed as he stared at Kagome baffled.

"What are you guys doing here?" Sango glared at Kouga. "How did they know where I live?"

Kouga looked away, unable to stand her dark eyes burning through his.

Sesshomaru paid no attention to the wound on his face when he noticed that Kagome's eyes were red and her cheeks was still damp from the previous tears, "Are you alright?"

I slapped the hell out of my boyfriend and he asks if I'm alright? Kagome was puzzled.

It was just then, Kagome smiled.

I am alright, Kagome turned her smile to Sango. We're alright, and we're going to stay alright.

Kagome looked at Inuyasha and he gave her a warm smile.

They're here, Kagome eyes narrowed on Kouga and Miroku. Four of the handsomest guys a girl has ever seen.

Kagome took Sango's hand and suddenly Sango turned her cold eyes away from Kouga.

We'll always be alright, Kagome told herself. As long as there're people who care about us.

"Come in," Kagome said finally. "Sango, don't be pissed."

Sango snorted as she watched all of them enter her home, but Miroku was the only one who stopped in front of her and flashed a devilish smile.

"No need to fear," Miroku said as if it was the most appropriate thing at the moment to say. "Miroku is here."

Sango rolled her eyes, "Oh please..."

Kagome wrapped her arms around Sango.

Everything is going to be ok now...

A/N: Sorry if I took a while with this one. I found myself torn with what this chapter should be like since I'm drawing closer to the end. There aren't that many chapters to go. Thank you all for sticking around so far and I hope you stay around for the coming very soon end. (Not to worry, I will try to cater to everyone's needs...)

If there are typos...forgive me!