InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Kagome, The Prized Possession ❯ As the world falls down ( Chapter 26 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Chapter 26: As the world falls down

Sango came out the bathroom with a wet cloth that she gave to Sesshomaru for his bruise. Inuyasha sat on the sofa with Kouga and Miroku on each opposite side of him. Kagome was looking in the refrigerator again.

Still nothing, Kagome thought as she let out a breath and shut it. It's clear why Sango doesn't have many visitors.

"So," Miroku thought it'd be better to say something to break the silence. "What can we do for you ladies?"

Sango put her hands on her hips and glared at him, she didn't believe even for a second that things would be any better than it was because of the attractive men that came into her door.

Sesshomaru met Kagome's eyes with genuine care as he pressed the cloth to his bruise. Kagome then became slightly surprised that he, no matter how painful the hit must've been - didn't say anything about it at all.

"Is something the matter?" Sesshomaru asked that very moment. "Is there anything I can get you?"

Kagome blushed and lowered her head, smiling a smile that was as warm as sunlight.

How do you get to be with a great and sexy guy like Sesshomaru? I'll never know...

"I'm fine," Kagome said as she looked up again. "Really I am. I feel a lot better now that you're here."

Kagome suddenly stopped herself and glanced at Inuyasha who looked away.

Oh, I almost forgot. Sesshomaru wasn't the only one who came...and later I'll remind myself to ask Inuyasha why he's here as well.

"I'm glad that you're ALL here," Kagome corrected. "It was nice to see you guys at the door - all like handsome knights-"

"You got it," Miroku threw in as he winked at Sango.

Sango went into her bedroom and slammed the door behind her.

Uh, oh...

"Keh," Inuyasha wrapped his arms around his chest, "What the hell is HER problem? We get here and she's all pissed. We just wanted to see if Kagome was alright."

Kagome caught her breath at that statement.

We just came to see if Kagome was alright...

Kagome suddenly looked at everyone sitting down...waiting for someone to at least object.

Just for me..., Kagome suddenly felt sick. Sango is just as if not more important than I am. I know that no one here is as close or knows Sango like I do, but still...

"I wanted to see if they were both alright," Kouga said. "Kagome is a true friend to have stayed with Sango. That's really brave since the only one who was in danger in the first place is Sango."

Kouga, yes! Kagome suddenly felt better. Kouga is such a great guy...he cares, he's so caring...

Sesshomaru looked at Sango's bedroom door shut and then turned back to Kagome...he immediately noticed her pleased expression and then grimaced.

"That's true," Miroku added. "I was thinking the same thing when Kouga told me the whole scoop in the car. My, my, it must be such a hard thing to do. I pity him."

"What?" Kagome gasped as her eyes leveled on Miroku, "You've got to be kidding me. Why would YOU pity Naraku? What's to pity about that guy? What's a hard thing to do?"

Miroku looked heavenward and said as if it was the most appropriate thing to say, "I pity him because I can only imagine how hard it is to get over Sango. Sango's dark eyes, smooth pale skin and that flame - she has so much bite and spark. You don't get that anywhere."

Kouga suddenly said under his breath, "Yea, Sango is pretty hot actually."

Miroku's eyes suddenly turned to Kouga alarmed.

"Oh what," Kouga got defensive. "I can't say she's hot? I didn't ask her out or anything."

"You wouldn't last," Miroku said lowly, but not nearly as low as he thought.

"Says who?" Kouga snapped.

An argument formed.

Kagome let out a breath and walked to Sango's bedroom door.

It sure is an inappropriate time to argue. I think I need to suddenly remind myself why I should be happy that THEY arrived. Kouga and Miroku are suddenly making even Inuyasha look mature, and Inuyasha is the one I would've expected to be all childish and stupid. Sesshomaru...he's the only one who seems to be collective besides myself.

"Knock it off," Inuyasha snapped. "You're both making us all look stupid. Kagome doesn't like people she cares about arguing anyway."

Inuyasha... Inuyasha...said that?

Kagome suddenly turned to meet Inuyasha's eyes with her own just in time to receive his wry smile, but that smile ended quickly when Sesshomaru glared a glare that could be felt across the room.

I forgot how he can be sometimes...that goes for Sesshomaru as well, Kagome thought as she noticed Sesshomaru's evil look towards Inuyasha.

Sango came out her bedroom and casually walked to the front door.

Where is she...hey - it's not safe to just be wandering out this late!

"Sango-chan," Kagome jumped in front of the door. "Where do you think you're going?"

Sango snorted, "Look, all your friends are here. I need some air, ok? Today has been so much of a pain that I'd like to know what it's like to be by myself for a moment-"

"No deal!" Kagome snapped. "I think you're being childish right now. Why would you want to wander out where that asshole could be somewhere waiting to jump you? You know how stubborn I am. Don't defy me."

Sango lowered her dark lashes and frowned as she mumbled, "I wish this day would end already."

"If you want to go out for a walk then I'll go with you," Miroku said as he got up from the sofa bypassing Kouga's currently finished bickering.

Everyone immediately turned their eyes to him and grimaced.

"What?" Miroku shrugged believing that he could do no wrong. "I am a man... I am not afraid of this Naraku guy. Sango is a good fighter and so AM I right? We're a perfect duo. Besides, I'm kind of on the hungry side and it would be nice to-"

"Come on," Sango began annoyed. "You are just hungry for food that's why you want to come."

"Now," Miroku smiled wickedly. "I don't think I got the chance to finish my little plum. However, I'll keep my dialogue rated PG-13. So...do you want my company because no one here is going to let you go by yourself, got it?"

Kagome's jaw dropped.

Miroku...is a damn pervert! PG-13, he has no style.

Sango smiled, and Kagome immediately noticed.

What the - why is she smiling? She actually likes this kind of talk. How could she?

"Fine," Sango said smoothly. "Get your ass kicked by Naraku. I won't save you."

"I wish he would try to confront me," Miroku added as he approached Sango.

Kagome only grimaced as she allowed them to exit the room.

I hope they don't end up killing each other...

"Wait," Sesshomaru threw the cloth down. "I think it would be better if I came along with you as well."

Sesshomaru...Kagome was confused.

Miroku mumbled, "Man..."

"Naraku is a stubborn man," Sesshomaru explained. "It is likely that he'll wait for you to exit the building before he makes his move. If that happens, I want to confront him and end this once and for all."

"Keh," Inuyasha wrapped his arms around his chest. "Naraku will use your hair to mop up your own blood."

Sango chuckled.

Kagome looked at her then back to Sesshomaru noticing his hands were bawled into fists.

No...

Kouga cleared his throat and stood up, "Hold it guys. We didn't come here for this. Let's just cool it. If we can't decide who's going to accompany who...then no one is going anywhere and that's all there is to it."

Inuyasha snorted, "This is ridiculous."

It is, Kagome agreed. People are acting ridiculous.

"Fine," Sango shrugged and sat down on the sofa next to Inuyasha. "When you guys get tired of trying to be macho, let me know."

This is so not good...

Sesshomaru suddenly leaned his face down from behind Kagome and whispered in her ear, "We need to talk."

~^~

It was the most private place they could get under such short notice; Sango's bedroom. Unlike the bathroom it had more space and sitting on a bed supplied more comfort than any toilet.

Kagome closed the door to behind her and took a seat on the bed, Sesshomaru leaned his back against the door - eyes locked with hers.

I know what this is, Kagome thought.

"I'm a business man," Sesshomaru began. "I don't have time to yo-yo back and forth with those kids."

Why is he telling me this?

Kagome looked up at him dismayed.

"Why didn't you tell me you were in trouble?" Sesshomaru's question was so direct that it made Kagome jump a bit. "Why didn't you tell me this happened?"

"I'm not in trouble..." Kagome swallowed hard, she couldn't stand the cold golden eyes that were burning through her dark ones. "I just wanted to be there for my friend."

Sesshomaru wrapped his arms around his chest and turned his golden eyes away as he said solemnly, "I'm not a high school date; you might be familiar with, oh - let's just say, someone you kiss here and there even cuddle with, but when the shit hits the fan you wouldn't come to him because he'll make a note to himself not to be found. When we were intimate, it wasn't a session held with a stranger you couldn't even recognize an hour after the process. We didn't fuck Kagome - we made love. Coming to me when you need me is the only way you'll truly know I am there."

"I didn't need you!" Kagome lowered her voice when she realized she had snapped. "I just wanted to help my friend. She didn't have money to put her stuff in storage to stay with me for a while - she had to stay. We both were tapped so I offered to stay here so she wouldn't be alone. I can't see where you come into this - that's why I didn't ask."

"What am I for Kagome?" Sesshomaru snapped. "Is there nothing else there between us? You say you didn't need me, but I could've helped-"

"How..." Kagome's voice suddenly trailed off.

Sesshomaru is rich...but I wouldn't ask him for money!

"I would not ask you for money," Kagome said suddenly after she let out a breath. "I can take care of Sango myself."

Sesshomaru glared at her, "And what about yourself?"

Kagome still didn't meet his eyes.

There's something I should be saying here...

"I don't know," Kagome then looked up at him and repeated. "I don't know. Maybe, maybe...I might be wrong. I just..."

Sesshomaru grabbed her face and kissed her, it was hard and unexpected; Kagome immediately fell into his embrace.

He's always good...

Sesshomaru pulled away and laid Kagome back against the bed, his lips was two inches from her own as he whispered, "I can take care of you myself," Sesshomaru kissed her neck - soft kisses from her neck to her bosom.

No, not at a time like this...he, I know his intent.

"Sesshomaru," Kagome whispered, "No."

Sesshomaru instantly stopped.

"You don't have to take care of me this way," Kagome sat up as Sesshomaru stood up over her. "I know what you're doing. I love you, and it's not that. I don't need you for that."

Kagome stood up and there she wrapped her arms around him and held him tight.

Sesshomaru didn't hold her back he only said, "We don't begin and end with Independence Kagome."

Kagome nodded as she pressed her face against his chest.

"I'm your lover, am I not?" Sesshomaru asked.

"You are..." Kagome whispered as she shut her eyes, overwhelmed by the warmth of his chest.

Sesshomaru then held Kagome back just as tight before he turned around and made his way to the door.

"Where are you going?" Kagome asked.

"There's no food here, Kouga has a car, Sango wants some fresh air and Miroku wants to follow her," Sesshomaru shrugged. "I'll leave Inuyasha here to watch over you."

"What!" Kagome gasped.

"You know Sango, I know him," Sesshomaru twisted the knob to the door. "I know he's the only one who'll do whatever to keep you from harm. That's all I'll say."

Kagome blinked as Sesshomaru shut the door behind him.

Why...I thought he hates Inuyasha...

~^~

Inuyasha watched Sesshomaru, Kouga, Miroku and Sango exit. He only snorted when his brother made the proposal. Normally, Inuyasha knew he would be opposed to following Sesshomaru's orders, but since he'd have the opportunity to be with Kagome...he figured it was an even bargain.

Kagome came out the bedroom and closed the door behind her...their eyes met instantly and silence followed.

"Inuyasha..." Kagome started.

"Kagome-chan..." Inuyasha began.

Another moment of silence past.

What's the use? Inuyasha thought. She's not going to forgive me for before...I said some pretty harsh things - I...

"I'm glad you're here," Kagome said lowly as she leaned her back against the wall. "Seeing your face made me remember something from before...something I put in the back of my mind - something nice."

Inuyasha looked away and gave out an uneasy chuckle. He tried to play it off, but even he could feel her uneasiness across the room.

It's been a while since we were able to talk, just talk, Inuyasha realized.

"Why did you come?" Kagome asked, maybe too suddenly because Inuyasha's eyes got wider than he ever thought they could. "It's the first question I wanted to ask...when I first saw you came in."

Inuyasha got up and properly turned his front towards her direction.

Time to be a man...

"I'm going to sound - not like myself," Inuyasha snorted. "I don't even care. I just want you to know that I give a damn about you. Despite everything, I admit that I was wrong in both situations. I don't like to be wrong, but I was and I lost you for it. I might be sorry for the rest of my life, but..."

Kagome smiled faintly.

It's over...

Inuyasha let out a chuckle, but anyone could detect the pain that still blossomed, hidden somewhere within, "Things happen right. I just love you kiddo, I needed to be here; I wanted to. Even if I thought you hated me."

Kagome's smile vanished as her eyes met with his, "Inuyasha..."

This is a good time for me to get up and leave, to let things be the way it is. To accept that things will be, forever shall be the way they are. However, I'm not going to leave because I want to protect her. I love her...I'll love her forever.

"It's over," Inuyasha smiled brightly. "We're no longer at odds - right? Can we like, forget that BAD time where I was a complete imbecile?"

Kagome lowered her eyes and said lowly, "Heh, wasn't it already forgotten?"

It was? Inuyasha grimaced. Is she for real?

"What?" Inuyasha had to ask.

It was that very moment where both Inuyasha and Kagome heard the sound of glass breaking from Sango's bedroom. Quickly, Kagome rushed to the bedroom door to investigate, but Inuyasha was much quicker.

"What do you think it was?" Kagome swallowed as she reached past Inuyasha for the door knob. "I have to see!"

"What a minute," Inuyasha pushed her back. "I'll see, go to the door in case you have to-"

"Inuyasha-"

"Do IT!" Inuyasha snapped as he grabbed the knob and twisted it.

Kagome nodded and stood by the front door, "I still think we should-"

Inuyasha slung the door open and his eyes widened.

"Kagome," Inuyasha swallowed as he saw the glass spread all over the bedroom floor. "I think that guy is here."

"What do you see, what do you see?" Kagome asked as she made her way towards him.

"Get out of here," Inuyasha snapped. "I'm going to see if he's on the fire-escape or something. "You go and get out here...maybe you'll see the others outside."

"But what about-"

"Go on!"

Kagome jumped up startled at the sound of Inuyasha's voice and she quickly opened the front door.

Inuyasha moved slowly to the window and grimaced.

It looks like more than a simple kick to the glass. I'm almost too certain of that.

"Inuyasha..."

Inuyasha's eyes widened yet again.

She's still here?

"Look Kagome," Inuyasha turned around just then, "I thought I-"

Shit, shit, shit, SHIT!

Naraku was holding a gun in one hand and gripped Kagome's arm with the other.

Bastard sure knows how to play rough...I don't know how I'm going to be able to squeeze us out of this one...

"It's remarkable how you have so much mouth on the phone," Naraku shoved Kagome roughly towards the sofa where she fell. "Let's just wait for the other members of this here house and let the games REALLY begin."

Bastard, I never thought he was THAT crazy...

A/N: LONG AWAITED CHAP. I KNOW! If some of you were confused about the encounter Sesshomaru had with Kagome...it was a bit ambiguous I'll admit, but if you by any chance need me to clear some things up for ya...I will. The next post will be Saturday...a long and fat one - fighting, sexual content...very pissed off Sesshomaru. This chapter was the end to the Inu, Sess, and Kag triangle. See you next time!