InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Leo and Kana ❯ Vol. Three Chap. Fifteen: My Long Road ( Chapter 15 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

My Long Road

They couldn't sleep. Or rather he couldn't sleep. His mother was fine. For now, at least. Leo leaned against her bedroom door. Right now, she was sound asleep in her bed. Leo chuckled to himself.

What is wrong with me?

“Nothing,” Kana said.

“Oh, it's you,” Leo said.

“I'm still here,” she said.

“I know.” Leo rose to his feet.

“Where are we going?” Kana asked.

“Just out,” he said. Leo walked down to the front door.

“I'm leaving,” he whispered. Then Leo-Kana slipped out the door.

---------

The quiet felt alien to him. Leo shoved his hands into his pockets.

“Are you okay?” Kana asked.

“Please… stop talking,” Leo said. She didn't respond. He took a deep breath.

“Thank you,” the boy said. He began their walk down the street. Felt strange to see the streets so empty. He didn't even bring his cigarettes. Kana started to speak but said nothing. She could feel his pain. The past few weeks wore him down.

“I will be here for you,” she said at last. Leo didn't respond. Her heart began to sink a little.

“Tell me something,” Leo spoke up. The nymph paused.

“Hm?” she asked. He stopped in front of a closed convenient store.

“Do you really mean it?” he asked. Kana moved her hand to her chest.

“Yes,” she said.

“Even if we separate?” Leo asked. She gulped and trembled.

“I don't want to,” Kana said.

“But we will have to at some point. I want my life back. We can't stay together like this. Can you handle that?”

Kana shook her head. “No.”

“No?”

“I don't want to leave you.”

“Why?”

“I love you.”

“Love me? You don't even know me.”

“Does it matter?”

“Well, yeah. I could be a monster.”

“I'll take the risk.”

Leo shook his head. “You're crazy.” He started walking again.

“Am I?” Kana asked.

“Yeah,” he said. “You love me but you've seen how I live.” He rounded the corner.

“Besides, you can't really love me like this,” he said. “You don't have a body. I can't hold or kiss you. What would be the point?”

“As long as I am by your side,” Kana said. Leo sighed and shook his head.

“You're hopeless,” he said. “Tell you what, we get through this mess and get our bodies back, I'll take you out on a date. Sound like a deal?”

“A date?” Kana asked.

“Yes,” he said. “I'll show you what one looks like. What do you say?”

“Okay, I guess,” the nymph said.

“Heh,” Leo said, smirking. “Well, okay. It's a date then.” He didn't go home right away. Didn't feel right to.

“What now?” Kana asked. Leo shrugged.

“Keep walking, I suppose,” he said.

“Right now?” she asked.

“Yeah,” he said, nodding. Then he resumed their walk.

Promised Date