InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Minoue ❯ There's Got To Be A Morning After ( Chapter 25 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimers: I do not own InuYasha or any of the manga/anime characters. They belong to the wonderful genius Rumiko Takahashi. Any original characters do belong to me.
 
AN: Thank you very much to inufan625 for acting as my beta once again. An additional thank you goes to Knittingknots for her help as well. I greatly appreciate the time they've taken to help make me a better writer and this a better story.
 
Thank you very much for the reviews. I read each and every one of them, and greatly appreciate those of you that took the time to leave one. For responses to your reviews, please check my LiveJournal at http://doggieearlover.livejournal.com/205810.html .
 
 
 
Minoue
 
Chapter 25: There's Got To Be A Morning After
 
Sango groaned as she rolled over in the bed and pulled the other pillow over her head - though much to her surprise, she ended up dumping Kirara on top of herself as well. With a meow in protest at being so rudely awakened, the cat hopped clear of the sleepy girl.
 
“What the… Oops, sorry, Kirara - I didn't mean to,” Sango whispered in apology. “Gods, my head hurts.”
 
Rolling over on her side, she decided to pull the sheet up over her head instead. It had been close to dawn when everyone went back to bed after she'd awakened them with her nightmare. The herbal tea that InuYasha had given them seemed to help soothe her frayed nerves and lull her back to sleep. She was almost disappointed that Miroku was no longer in the room with her. Upon retiring back to bed, Sango had told him that she really appreciated him staying with her, but that he should go sleep in a more comfortable bed. It was somewhat under protest that he had agreed to do so.
 
Rubbing her temple, she curled up practically into a ball and decided to try and go back to sleep. It was apparently pretty early from the amount of light that trickled through the windows, so everyone was probably still asleep after the night's events. “Wake me when you hear the others are up,” she said to Kirara before she closed her eyes again. If she could only get this pounding headache to go away…
 
 
Miroku finally realized that he could not sleep any longer. He didn't know what time it was when he rolled out of the bed and stumbled towards the bathroom. He hated to admit it, but he had the worst hangover he'd had in years. “Must have had more sake than I realized,” he said to no one in particular. After returning to the bedroom, he discovered his bag that InuYasha must have brought in sometime during the night. He dug through it, finding a t-shirt and pulled it on.
 
 
“Morning, Miroku,” InuYasha said as his friend staggered into the kitchen. “How are you this morning?”
 
“You are way too cheerful for this early, my friend,” Miroku replied grumpily as he sat down. Setting his elbows on the table, he clutched his head. “Do you have anything for a hangover?”
 
InuYasha grinned and pushed a bottle of aspirin across the table along with a glass of water. “Take a couple of these first.” He turned around and went back to whatever it was that he was doing, which appeared to be mixing several things into a pitcher.
 
“Hey,” Kagome said as she came through the doorway. “Oh, good - let me have those.” She reached for the bottle of aspirin that Miroku had set back on the table. “I didn't think I had that much to drink last night.”
 
InuYasha chuckled as he returned to the table, this time with a pitcher full of something red.
 
“What is that - tomato juice?” Miroku asked.
 
“With Vodka, Chuno, lemon juice, and some salt. It's the best cure for a hangover that I know of,” InuYasha answered. Going to the cupboard, he pulled out three glasses. As he poured some of the red concoction into two of them he added, “It's a Bloody Mary. Something about the tomato juice and alcohol actually helps eliminate hangovers. Drink up.”
 
 
Kirara nudged Sango, trying to wake her up as requested. “Go away, Kirara. I'm not ready to get up,” the weary girl complained.
 
“Mrrrrr.” The cat continued to prod at her with the top of her head and then turned to rub her body against her protesting mistress.
 
“I shouldn't have drunk all of that wine last night,” Sango informed her, and then suddenly bolted upright. “Oh, no, I didn't do that, did I?”
 
Kirara mewed in confusion.
 
“Did I throw myself at Miroku?” She crawled back under the covers, burying her head completely. “I'll never be able to face him again. I can't believe I did that!”
 
The fire cat pawed at her through the comforter and sheet, but received no response whatsoever. Deciding she needed more help, she hopped off of the bed and headed towards the others.
 
She found the person she was looking for sitting at the kitchen table. Acting like any normal household cat, she rubbed herself against Kagome's legs, turning back and forth, first one side and then the other.
 
“Well, good morning, Kirara. Where is Sango?” Kagome asked as she reached down to stroke her, causing the feline to arch her back.
 
At her question, the two-tail ran towards the door and mewed, waiting for Kagome to get the message.
 
“I think she wants you to follow her, Kagome,” InuYasha offered.
 
“You don't think that anything is wrong, do you?” Miroku asked worriedly.
 
The hanyou watched her body language. “No, I don't think so. I think she wants help coaxing Sango out of bed.”
 
Kirara mewed as if in agreement.
 
“All right, I'm coming,” Kagome told her as she stood.
 
 
“Sango, are you all right?” she asked softly as she entered the room. “InuYasha made something for a hangover if you want some.”
 
The lump of covers shifted and seemed to roll over away from her. “Go away. I can't face them.”
 
“Sango, you aren't any worse off than me or Miroku,” Kagome stated. “InuYasha seems to be the only one that doesn't have a hangover this morning.”
 
Sango abruptly threw back the covers and sat up. “But he didn't throw himself at Miroku last night!”
 
Kagome couldn't help but laugh. “No, but if he had, I doubt Miroku would have remembered it. He's really hung-over.”
 
She groaned and rubbed her temples. “He is? He's not the only one… You mean he hasn't said anything?” Sango asked hopefully.
 
Kagome shook her head in response. “He's got a monster of a headache, and you probably do, too. You both had too much to drink last night.”
 
Sango looked down and clutched her head in response. “Don't remind me. How could I have been so foolish?”
 
“Come on. You'll feel better if you get something to eat in you. InuYasha is actually cooking,” Kagome said.
 
“Sensei cooks?”
 
“In fact, he's very good - he just doesn't like to let on that he is. He has rice, miso soup, and is making rolled sweet omelets. I'm sure you'll feel better if you have some. He has a tomato juice mixture that seems to help, too.” Kagome decided not to tell her there was more alcohol involved unless she asked.
 
Sango sighed. “Do you have a robe or something I could borrow? These pajamas are almost like clothes, but I'd still feel better if I had something else on, too.”
 
“I'll be right back.” Kagome went to the master bedroom and retrieved one of her yukata and returned. “This should work to throw on over them.”
 
Sango took it gratefully and, after slipping into it, tied it closed. “All right, I guess I'm as ready as I'll ever be.”
 
 
They returned to the kitchen, and Miroku jumped up, intending to pull the chair at the fourth place out from the table for Sango. Instead, he heard snickers and noticed that both girls had flushed red.
 
“What? What is it?” He looked at them and then looked down at himself. He finally realized what they were giggling about when his eyes landed on his sleep pants. While he had noticed the bright yellow color last night, he hadn't noticed the fact that they were covered in little red hearts. Grinning sheepishly, he said, “Well, it was these or nothing at all. I think I'll go change now that I have my overnight bag back.” With as much dignity as he could muster, he fled the kitchen.
 
A roar of laughter followed his exit. He didn't realize they also said “Spank the love monkey” across his buttocks.
 
 
Partly due to just about everyone having a hangover to a certain degree, things were more subdued when Miroku returned to the table, this time wearing a pair of dark gray sweatpants with his t-shirt. He slapped InuYasha on the shoulder as he walked by him. “You could have told me, you know.”
 
The hanyou grinned at him. “Honestly, I wasn't looking that close. You go bare-ass so often I try not to.”
 
Kagome snickered and Sango blushed. However, they had taken the opportunity to go and change into something more appropriate as well. Now that everyone was back at the table, InuYasha gave each of them a plate with an omelet while Kagome placed their bowls of soup and rice in front of them. After bowls of pickles and natto were placed on the table, they sat down and everyone dug in.
 
“What time is it, anyway?” Sango asked after she had cleaned her plate, not that she really had anywhere she had to go since Kirara was with her.
 
“Ummm, it's about eleven-thirty,” Kagome responded as she looked at the clock on the oven.
 
“It must be this head-ache - it certainly seems a lot later,” Miroku mumbled.
 
“I wonder what he's doing here,” InuYasha commented. “Come on in, Sesshomaru.”
 
Kagome started as the almost overwhelming presence suddenly surrounded them. “Where did he come from?”
 
The youkai lord entered, though he was no longer wearing his powerful concealment charm. Everyone started to stand from the table, but he waved at them to sit back down. “I would have called, but my baka brother refuses to install a phone. I wanted to check on the girl after the events of last night, but I didn't expect to find her here. Are you holding pajama parties now, Little Brother?”
 
Miroku snorted, and InuYasha started to protest, but Kagome spoke up, “After what happened last night I asked Sango to stay here. I didn't want her to go home alone. Plus we all had a little too much wine, so we ended up crashing here.” Then she added with a grin, “But if you'd been here a little sooner, you could have seen Miroku's pajama bottoms.”
 
At least Miroku had the decency to blush.
 
Sesshomaru just raised an eyebrow. He also noticed that InuYasha still had markings on his face, though he appeared to be calm and under total control of himself. He'd ask about that later.
 
“To the reason why I came, are you certain that he did not harm you, young lady?” Sesshomaru asked. “We will make certain he is properly punished if he did.”
 
Sango just shook her head, and reddened a little further.
 
“Sango, he did ruin your dress. You really shouldn't let him get away with it,” Kagome said softly. “He shouldn't have done that, and that dress wasn't cheap.”
 
“I was so relieved that he didn't break the necklace that Sensei borrowed for me, I didn't think about it,” Sango responded. “And then I was so worried about… about… other things…”
 
“Sesshomaru, I'll see her during the week when she comes to train. Why don't you wait and let me email you the information when she feels better? I don't think she's up to dealing with it right now,” InuYasha suggested.
 
The youkai nodded in agreement. “I did come here for another reason. The art exhibit opens formally this afternoon, and I am suddenly without a translator since the one we had is now in custody. I was hoping I could convince you to come to the gallery with me.”
 
InuYasha made a sound that resembled a strangled cat. Kagome placed her hand on his arm. “Why don't you go? You're in better shape than the rest of us, and Mama is probably worried about me. I should go home, and I think it would be good for you to go with your brother.”
 
“I don't have to wear the monkey suit again, do I?” InuYasha asked. He didn't want to admit it was still in a heap on the floor from where he'd tossed it after so hastily removing it the night before.
 
“Casual attire is fine. How soon can you be ready to go?”
 
“I think that's our cue to leave, my dear Sango,” Miroku interrupted. “Would you allow me the honor of driving you home?”
 
Sango bit her lip as she looked at him. She wanted to say yes, but was it proper? Then again, she didn't really feel like dealing with the subway and the gropers it carried. “All right - I'd appreciate that.” She turned to InuYasha and Kagome. “Thank you very much for everything you've done for me. I really don't know what to say.”
 
Kirara looked up from her place in her lap to mew in agreement.
 
“We're just glad that you're okay,” Kagome answered for both of them. “I'll see you in class on Tuesday. Call me if you need anything.”
 
Sango nodded as she stood from the table and went to retrieve her things with Kirara right behind her.
 
Once Miroku and Sango along with Kirara were on their way, InuYasha went to change and reappeared wearing khaki chinos, a red button-down oxford shirt, and a navy linen sports coat. He had also tied a dark blue bandana over his ears - he figured there was no point in drawing extra attention to himself.
 
“Do you mind if we take Kagome home on the way? I don't want her to walk home by herself,” InuYasha commented as he picked up her overnight bag. “Kagome, we can deal with your dress later, all right?”
 
Kagome nodded. At least she had retrieved it from where it was initially dropped and had hung it up last night. There would be time to take it to be cleaned later.
 
“Well, Sesshomaru, I guess we're ready,” InuYasha said. Stopping long enough to put on their shoes, they followed him to the waiting limousine.
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
“So, Kohaku, how are you feeling today,” the doctor asked as the boy was escorted into his office. The guard was dismissed with a wave of his hand. “We'll be fine. I'll let you know when our session is over.”
 
The guard looked puzzled, but nodded and went through the door, closing it behind him. It was the first time the boy had ever been left alone with a therapist.
 
“Please, sit down.” He gestured towards the comfortable looking chair across from him.
 
“Where… where is Dr. Tsukino?” the boy asked. “I usually see him.”
 
“He is no long with us. I am Dr. Kuromotou, and I will be handling your case from now on,” the doctor responded.
 
“He… he… he left?” Kohaku questioned.
 
“I know he has been your therapist since you came here, but we had been thinking that it was time for a change. However, with his sudden departure, we really didn't have much of a choice. Now then, I've been through all of your records, and I see that you haven't had a single violent episode since your arrival. To be honest, I am not really certain why we are still holding you. No matter, we will see what we can do about that, all right?”
 
The boy didn't know what to say, so he just nodded blankly in agreement. If they released him, where would he go? Would he be able to see his sister? Then again, would she ever want to see him again after what he'd done?
 
“I only wanted to meet you today. I will let the guard escort you back to your room now. It was nice meeting you, Kohaku.”
 
The boy nodded again in return, and Dr. Kuromotou stood to walk him to the door. Opening it, he said, “You can take him back now. Thank you.”
 
Closing the door behind him, he returned to the desk and picked up the phone. Pulling out his wallet and retrieving a piece of paper from it, he dialed the number that was scribbled on it. It rang several times, and he was about to hang up when he heard, “Yes.”
 
“I've seen the boy, and there is nothing extraordinary about him at all. Are you certain he is the right one?”
 
“Yes, he's the one. How long before you can release him?”
 
“I will have to see him for at least a few sessions before confirming that he is no longer a threat to anyone. I'll also have to do some creative paperwork and find a way to expunge some of his files. Dr. Tsukino was very thorough in his records and very clear that the boy should not be released under any circumstances,” the psychologist explained. “You will have to give me time to take care of those things first, Naraku.”
 
The voice on the other end of the phone hissed in anger, “Don't say my name. And remember what happened to your predecessor for refusing to cooperate with me.”
 
The phone slammed into the receiver on the other end and went dead. Dr. Kuromotou paled when he heard the final warning and the click as the call was ended. How could he forget what happened to Tsukino? He was brutally murdered on his way to dinner with his family. Neither his wife nor two daughters had been spared.
 
 
Naraku chuckled evilly after hanging up. Soon he would be able to put his plan into motion once again, and he would have his perfect killing machine back at his disposal as he searched for the object of his desire. He knew that the boy's family was the key though he had not been able to find it when they were slaughtered. There had to be some record somewhere as to what had become of the Shikon no Tama. If he could find it, he could have everything he ever desired - he could become the most powerful being on earth. The fact that it wasn't located at the home or shop of the woodworker was just a set-back, nothing more.
 
His research through the ancient scrolls showed that it had been found by the family centuries ago when it was recorded that the village was the home to youkai exterminators. They had sworn to keep it from falling into evil hands and had protected it from generation to generation. They also had become more and more secretive, and there was less and less written about it. However, there was enough for him to determine which family kept the jewel and had managed to keep it from falling into the hands of the likes of him.
 
The boy had been so easy to brainwash. He was highly suggestible and had a soft demeanor about him. He also daydreamed a lot and didn't really want to follow into his father's footsteps making furniture. After arranging an accident for one of his teachers, Naraku had assumed the position as a substitute and gained the boy's trust. From there, things had been easy.
 
He had also managed to capture a witch - a youkai really, who could control the very winds. She was proud and stubborn and refused to do his bidding until he managed to catch her younger sister as well. She already knew what he was capable of at this point and took his threat to kill Kanna seriously. So it was with great reluctance that she searched for the elder sister - the one that got away. It was clear the boy didn't know where this magical object was that Naraku desired, but the girl was old enough that her father may have revealed its whereabouts to her. It was also apparent that Kohaku's sister must have changed her name because she'd disappeared from the face of the earth. Kagura was relegated to searching city by city, trying to figure out where she had gone after being released from the hospital. At least she finally had something more definite to work with. With the new doctor in charge of the boy, Naraku had obtained Sango's cell phone number - it was the only contact information they had for her since her previous address was long abandoned.
 
“Hey, Kanna,” Kagura whispered to her sister. “I'm going to have to leave again. Are you certain that you are all right?”
 
“He's not so bad, you know,” the girl replied. As usual, she was dressed all in white. She was such a strange child since she had no odor, no aura, and appeared to have no emotions. “He treats me better than Mom did, you know. I think I like it here.”
 
“Don't let him fool you, Kanna, he'll kill you and not even blink,” she warned. She had been afraid of something like this. He kept the girl surrounded in luxury with all of her favorite things, so she really didn't want to leave. She had tried to get her to escape so then she could as well, but so far it hadn't happened.
 
“You're just jealous because he likes me better,” the girl chided. “Just like Dad.”
 
“Fool.” Kagura turned and left. Pulling a feather from her hair, she threw it down and then flew towards the setting sun. She was headed first to where the cell phone had been registered. From there she would try to find out what had become of Kohaku's sister, Sango.
 
To be continued…
 
 
Breakfast ingredients:
Natto - fermented soy beans
Pickles - usually cucumber, radish, or eggplant
Rolled sweet omelet - omelet made with pureed fish cake and soy sauce and then rolled instead of folded.
Japanese Bloody Mary - Chuno is a good substitute for Worchester sauce, though it is common well. Chuno just requires a bit more mixing since it can be a little globby. It is also easy for them to get good vodka, due to their proximity to Russia. Those who like it spicy also add wasabi, but we already know that InuYasha doesn't have any of that around the house.
 
 
InuYasha Fanfiction Guild News
Just a reminder that voting is currently going on at the IYFG for the fourth quarter of 2007, and will continue through Saturday, March 1st. If you are a member, please go and vote for your favorite fics, no matter which ones they are. You never know when your single vote might be the one that made a difference.