InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Once Upon a Cell Phone ❯ Chapter Seven ( Chapter 7 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Title: Once upon a cell phone
 
Author: Anonymous Fangirl
 
Summary: Yada yada yada… cell phone works in the past via Miroku… Does anyone still read this part? I just assume you all skip to the acutal story…
 
Disclaimer: My cat owns me… you can tell by the way she is overprotective and loving and… Princess! DON'T KILL MY LAPTOP! Sigh… I'm sorry… she destroys anything that I pay more attention to then her… once she ate my homework. She actually ate my homework. Try explaining that to your teacher…
 
ETC: Um… did I say I would update on Monday? Sorry… you must be thinking of another Anonymous Fangirl. One with long hair… Mine's short now… so… OH LOOK! A DISTRACTION!
 
Feedback: Yup, my spelling checker is still broken, short hair now, can't contrate for the life of me, cat owns me, I don't own Inuyasha, and you are all smart asses for taking me literally in chapter 4. BUT I LOVE YOU ALL ANYWAYS! YOU ARE MY LIFE!
 
Dedicated: To the Elder of the Ingram brothers. May he win in his fight against cancer. Tirius, we miss you all back at school. Hope your brother gets better soon! The peversion level in our group has dropped to like, 10 whereas it used to be 1000. WE NEED OUR BEAR CHRISTOPH THE SECOND!!!
 
 
 
Chapter Seven (already? Hm… kimiyo no nani?)
 
 
 
Kagome hadn't known what to expect when she entered the cave of the dragons. She had seen many dragons as they had walked, swam, and at one point teleported (Kagome had asked Miroku how the light thing that had teleported worked, but she zoned out after hearing a bunch of new future words that she had no idea what they meant), but none of them were nearly as large as Megumi… and none of their names were nearly as ironic as hers!
 
Kagome had pointed this out once, the whole name thing, and Megumi simply tilted her head and done the one thing that had always bugged Kagomewhen she was growing up. The one theing all of the students in every class she had ever had had done to her. The one thing that made her skin crawl and the one thing that made her slightly homocidal.
 
Kagome Kagome Kago no naku notori wa Itsu Itsu deyaru yoake tobani suru to kami ga subetta ushiro no shomen dare? She sang in a happy tune. Soon, tiny firelizards as Megumi called them (though to Kagome they simply looked like oversized aligator lizard with wings) began to sing along. Kagome Kagome Kago no naku notori wa Itsu Itsu deyaru yoake tobani suru to kami ga subetta ushiro no shomen dare? The song had echoed through the halls and continued long after the choir of dragons had ceased.
 
Miroku had merely shrugged. “At least your name comes from a childs song… better than some names!” He had defended, shooting a wicked glance in Megumi's direction. Megumi had sauntered off a a faster pace after that and had refused to look at either one of them. But that was okay with Kagome. She didn't really want to talk to her either.
 
So now, here was Kagome, wishing very much that she knew proper etiquette for when confronting a room full of virtual demi-gods… if not real gods.
 
Miroku must have sensed her apprehension, because in the next moment, his left hand cradled hers gently. “It'll be alright.” He assured her quietly before stepping in front of her- acting like a human shield to hide her from the prying eyes f the dragons.
 
“Miroku… do you know anything about how to behave before gods?” Kagome asked softly, so softly his ears very nearly missed the words.
 
Hopefully, she would take his silence as a sign that he had missed them.
 
Who are these mortals you bring to the sacred chambers, Megumi? The largest of the dragons asked as he walked towards them. Later, Kagome would think of a better word for it. Maybe she would invent a new one. For walking did this dragon no justice. With each step it took, and it must have taken pretty soft steps as it was, the ground beneath her feet quaked and threaten to topple her over.
 
No wonder dragon's grew wings… it was so the most powerful of them wouldn't knock them to the ground! Kagome thought.
 
The miko and the monk saved me from a village in Japan… Megumi said, averting her eyes from the much larger dragon. Kagome watched the two of them in awe. Megumi was large- much larger than she had expected one dragon to be- and she had seen the dragon Inuyasha killed!- and she was still much larger than most of the other dragon's in the chamber- only a select few came anywhere near her size, but in comparison to the male, she was merely a child.
 
“Dragon's grow in size according to power levels. The more powerful a dragon is, the larger it will be.” Miroku said in a hushed tone.
 
Kagome looked up at him, but didn't take her eyes off of the dragon in the center of the room- not that she would have missed it if she turned to completely met Miroku's gaze! “Why is that?” Kagome asked.
 
Miroku shrugged. “Probably so that it becomes more obvious who the leaders are and who aren't.”
 
You were captured by mere mortals? How is this possible! You, the second in command of the dragon clan! The larger dragon huffed, eyes flashing and nostrils flaring. Kagome shivered and unconciously tried to set up an energy barrier between her and the power source.
 
Megumi nodded. I apologize, Kami-sama, but I believed them to be good people. They were blessed with a sacred hot springs and…
 
They trapped you in a sacred hot spring? Why couldn't you get out? And where are your robes!?! Kami (much later Kagome would snicker at the horrible laziness of he proud parents of this dragon) roared.
 
Megumi didn't raise her voice as Kagome would have suspected. Instead, she knelt on one scaled knee and bowed her head low to the ground. I have failed the dragon clan. Naraku remains in power and is now influencing whom we considered allies once upon a time.
 
Kagome must have blacked out. After all, one minute she had been standing there, trying to comprehend the sheer size of the powerful dragon, and then…
 
… she wasn't.
 
Instead, she was staring at the most outlandishly handsome man she had ever had the chance to see. His hair, black and waved, reached halfway down his back in a leather tie. He wore no signs of royalty, like Sesshoumaru did with his boa thingy, but Kagome knew instantly that this man was of a higher class than she. His posture was erect, and when he turned and meet his eyes with hers, the only though t in her head was that she had never seen such a blue.
 
“Try not to drool, Kagome- sama.” Miroku hissed out in a tone that Kagome would have normally missed- if it wasn't for the fact that she heard it whenever Kouga and Inuyasha were in the same room.
 
Unadultered hatred.
 
Kagome blinked twice. Surely she must have heard him wrong! His eyes didn't shine with contempt, as Inuyasha's often had, and his demenor was as hopelessly boyish as ever. But something had changed. Maybe it was his posture, or simply his energy, but Kagome knew that something had happened that had somehow effected him.
 
Effected him! Miroku, the lecherous monk who could count the years left on one hand!* The man who had been hit over the head a dozen too many times with a giant boomerang made of bone and had on more than one occasion slautered hundreds with no regrets. The cursed monk himself!
 
Kagome pinched herself once just to be sure that she wasn't dreaming.
 
Throughly distracted, she didn't notice as the horribly handsome man walked right up to her (again, Kagome had to find a better word for what this walk was…) and when she looked up from studying the spot on er arm that she had pinched (nope, still asleep…) She was staring once more into those eyes.
 
“You don't look very special… a mere mortal miko.” He said as he eyed her, circling her like a vulture. Kagome didn't dar breath- she was afraid to take the scent of him in to her body for fear it would manifest and never leave. “You are the miko whp started this all, aren't you?”
 
Miroku moved to speak, though what he could possibly have to say elluded Kagome.
 
“You were the gaurdian of the jewel. You failed in that retrospect. You were one of the most respected mikos on the face of the planet- and then you gave it up for a stupid half-breed. Then, you fail in your love by lacking trust. You failed in your life by sacrificing it, you failed when you could have simply purified the jewel by wishing for it.”
 
Kami… Kagome heard Megumi whisper from somewhere in the distance… but the word didn't register in her mind. Only his cutting insults, and the single thought that wouldn't leave her head. It's true. Itstrueitstrueitstrueitstrueitstrueitstrue… It rang over and over like a mantra.
 
Kami didn't look over at Megumi. He simply continued without missing a beat. “You failed in protecting it yet again by shattering it, and you fail in gathering the broken pieces. You are a cursed miko, and you only hurt those you come near. You-“
 
“That's ENOUGH!” Miroku roared from besides Kagome, who was shaking with tears welled up in her eyes. Miroku wasn't sure what had happened. He had been standing besides her, listening to him, all of the insults, all of the truths, every mistake in this life and the last, when something within him… snapped. He hadn't known it was possible, and he would someday look back on that moment as a life changing event. Some chain within him had broken and a more primal beast had roared it's head and demanded it protect the shaking maiden besides him.
 
Shoving her behind him, where he was sure the dragon-god could do no harm, he pushed one finger in to Kami's chest.
 
“She is your miko- one of your chosen children! How dare you speak with her that way! She saved Megumi, when I would have simply left her for dead. She raises a kitsune who would die without her, and she deals with a prattling half-demon because if she doesn't, she can't complete someone else's jewel. She's not Kikyo! She's Kagome! She should be home, in her own time where it's safe, yet she's here, cleaning up a mess she wouldn't have made in the first place if it wasn't for Kikyo!
 
Miroku would have continued like that for some time- Kagome was sure of it. What she wasn't sure of was what had happened. Had anyone ever defended her? Physically, yes, but emotionally? No one ever bothered. Why would they? She was Kagome, the emotional wall of China. She could handle anything. ANYTHING! She could even deal with being compared to Kikyo.
 
But somebody had noticed. Somebody had cared. Kagome looked up at Miroku, and something deep within her bloomed in to a warmth she hadn't felt since the day she held her baby brother for the first time…
 
Kami curled one lip back in distaste before waving a single hand. “Show them to their chambers. We shall discuss Naraku tomorrow, when we all have a chance to cool our heads a bit.” He turned to Megumi. “You are not to be seen at the meetings. You are stripped of all rank until you can retireve your robes.”
 
Megumi didn't argue… she had known the punishment of failure.
 
And Kagome…
 
As she was being ushered away from the chamber, away from Megumi, she came to the conclusion that no matter how scared she was, no matter how bad things got, she had at least one ally.
 
Looking at Miroku, she couldn't help but feel as if she had lost some of the weight that had been on her shoulders.
 
 
 
Anonymous Fangirl- um… definitely a chapter that was… well, not that interesting. Just used to move the story line along. There are going to be quite a few of these in the very near future, and… well… I think I'll add in some filler chapters in between them.
 
Well, just try to review!
 
 
 
(*That was in another fanfiction. I can't remember which one, so here I am, siting it. I DID NOT COME UP WITH THAT LINE! There… now, as soon as I can figure out who did, I'll let you know! And if it was you, please tell me! I have no idea who wrote it, only that it wasn't me!)