InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Once Upon a Cell Phone ❯ Chapter Thirteen ( Chapter 13 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

 
Title: Once upon a Cell Phone
 
Author: Anonymous Fangirl
 
Summary: . . . Megumi just died. If you need to read the summary, go look at another chapter. But honestly, I think that a lot of people are just going to skip over this part tis time and just go on in to the story because, well, Megumi died. But, If you insist and actually read to here, then: Kagome brings a Cell Phone to the past and it works. What's this got to do with Miroku? (why do I do this every chapter?)
 
Rating: Mature. For sexual banter and now gruesome horrible murder scenes.
Kagome: . . . you killed off Megumi. . . Well, I ceratinly wasn't expecting that. Are we going to have a funeral?
 
Anonymous Fangirl: Will you just read the chapter?
 
Miroku: So I am to assume there will be no sex this chapter?
 
Anonymous Fangirl: Not even a hint.
 
Kagome: Thank god.
 
Miroku: But won't Kagome be in a place that I can take advantage of her?
 
Anonymous Fangirl: Yes, but you would never, ever. . . oh dear god. . . RUN KAGOME!
 
Kagome: Eek! Miroku cooties!
 
Anonymous Fangirl: Read and Review!
 
 
 
 
 
Chapter Thirteen
 
 
Kagome vaguely felt someone wrap their arms around her as her world feel apart, as if the act could some how hold her together. As if everything that had built up inside of her wouldn't burst out in the tears se shed if they just held on to her. As if they cared.
 
Kagome opened her eyes to see who would dare to touch her, and saw Miroku's deep blue robes that he had bought at the village earlier that day, when she had thought her bigest problem was how to obtain new weapons for her figt against Naraku. When se thought that she was at rock bottom. When she thought things could only get better.
 
How wrong she had been.
 
“We should have been here.” Kagome mumbled in to Miroku's chest. “We should have been here and maybe then-“
 
“Then what?!” Miroku demanded as he shook her, sorrow dripping in his voice. “Then we could have died along with her? What ever Megumi-san had faced was strong enough to bring down a dragon, Kagome, and it could have brought us down with her!” Miroku stared fixatedly at Kagome's throat. “It could have brought you down with her.”
 
Kagome froze so suddenly she could have sworn her tears stopped on her face. Miroku was worried about her? But. . .
 
“But if we were here, Miroku, and not in the village, we wouldn't even be here. We would be far away. And she would still be. . .”
 
“In danger, Kagome. She would still be in danger. And what? Should we be martyrs for her? Should we die with her? Should we? Does this change anything Kagome? We still have to track down Naraku. We still have to destroy him. Her death should just further our plight.” Miroku said as he tucked her under her arms. “Her death changes nothing.”
 
Kagome turned her head, and out of the corner of her eye, she saw it. The transformation. Beheaded, the slaughtered Dragon carcass faded out, until only the skeleton of the goddess they had seen once was there, skin less and bloodied and beheaded. Kagome whimpered and tried to turn her head, but was enchanted. How? She wondered wordlessly. Why?! Was much more what she wanted to know.
 
“Don't look at her, Kagome. She is not alive anymore.” Miroku said as he tucked her head under his arm, throughly blocking her from seeing anything.
 
“Why, Miroku? Why would they kill her!?” Kagome asked when Miroku sheilded her eyes.
 
Miroku closed his eyes. Why did they kill Megumi? She was most certainly not Naraku's biggest problem, and this had to be the work of Naraku. In fact, right now, he was Naraku's greatest foe. Him and Kagome. . . But if they had sent out assassans, attacking them in the village would have been far easier. . . Miroku pulled Kagome closer to him under the guise of rubbing her shoulders briskly.
 
“Why? WHY!?” Kagome demanded as she punched Miroku in the chest with all the strength in her little body. Miroku coughed and stared. She had packed holy energy in to her punch. . . if he had been a demon, it could have killed him.
Then maybe Kagome was Naraku's greatest foe right now. With one tiny punch that barely packed a whollop, she could kill him. With her little pinky, she could destroy him. Then why would they have killed Megumi instead of Kagome?
 
Miroku didn't care to find out.
 
“Kagome. . . we have to leave this place now. Megumi's murders might still be near, and-“
 
Kagome's eyes leapt to his, and in them he say something he would have never expected- hatred.
 
“I'll kill them.” Kagome said in a low voice covered in ice. “I'll kill them. I'll kill them. I'lkillthemI'llkillthemI'llkillthem!” Kagome wailed as she thrashed against the iron grip that Miroku had on her as he held her to him.
 
“Kagome! No! We have to leave! Obviously they are formidable, and if they come back. . .” I may lose you. . . Miroku lay his head gently in her hair. “ Please Kagome. Please let us go now. Please.” Miroku said.
 
Kagome went motionless in his arms. “Miroku. . . you're shaking.” She whispered as she stroked his hair. “Miroku. . .”
 
Miroku shook his head. I am not shaking. . .
 
“Yes you are, Miroku.” Kagome lifted his head so that he looked up in to her face. When had he fallen to his knees before her? Miroku wondered as he stared in to her eyes. “I'll leave, Miroku. Let's go.”
 
Miroku didn't wait for her to change her mind. He simply stood and wen't to gather the few things that they had.
 
After a few minutes, he turned to tell Kagome he was ready to leave, and he saw her standing over Megumi's dead form, blood heavy on her hands and crying.
 
“Kagome. . .” She jumped when Miroku whispered her name.
 
“Oh. . . I'm sorry. Are we ready to go?” Kagome asked as she got up off of her knee.
 
Miroku stood for a few moments, taking in Megumi's death. It could have been me. . . should have been what he thought. Whenever he saw death, whenever he caused death, he knew that the next one could be him. That the one that just died could have been him.
 
He was used to knowing he was going to die. But the unfamiliar pain from the thought of losing Kagome wasn't.
 
“We should get back to the village. . . get some horses. . . get the hell out of here. . .” Kagome said as she took two steps forward, then one back.
 
Miroku watched her stare at Megumi. “Kagome. . .”
 
“We can't leave her here like this.” Kagome said simply. “We can't leave her without a proper burial or something.” Kagome turned to Miroku. “We've never left villages we've passed, and we had no connection to the villagers there. We did have a connnection to Megumi. I cared about her. She was our friend.”
 
Miroku nodded. “I know Kagome. I know. But we don't have time to bury her and. . .”
“I know. But . . . do you think she would be opposed to cremeation? We could burn her. . . give her a grave marker and release her ashes on the winds. . . she was a dragon, more at home in the sky than the ground. . . don't you think she would have preferred to be cremated?”
 
Miroku held Kagome close as she gripped at his robes. Miroku wondered why his heart was beating so irregularly. Like he had to have her near him. How, even in the face of danger, no, maybe because of the danger, he felt like maybe. . .
 
Maybe he was in love with her. I need time alone. . . Miroku thought as he answered. “I'm not sure, Kagome. But it's all we can do for her, and it's better than nothing.” He said as he slowly released her. “I'll go find the necessary items.” He said without missing a step.
 
Kagome nodded and bent near Megumi's remains.
 
“Megumi-sama. . .” Kagome whispered as she lay her palm flat on the ground. “Megumi-sama. . . what have they done to you?” Kagome felt the tears well up in her eyes. “You were so kind. . . you helped us so much. . . I can't believe you are gone.”
 
Kagome stroked a pebble once, twice, before she continued. “Miroku says it's not my fault that you died. I am sure you would say the same thing. But. . . if it wasn't for me, none of this would have happened.”Kagome picked the pebble up and tossed it in the air, then caught it. “I'm not just talking about you dying. I mean the jewel breaking. . . the jewel even coming here. What was I thinking when I shot that arrow? One measley crow demon super charged would have been much better than this. . .” Kagome stared at the pebble, just so that she wouldn't have to stare at Megumi's carcass. “And Miroku. . . I was hurting him before we ever met. . . If it wasn't for me breaking the jewel, Naraku wouldn't even be alive in his time. . . he wouldn't be cursed. . . he wouldn't have to suffer. He could have been married to someone, had lots of those kids he always talks about. . .”
 
Kagome stared at her palm, at all of the lines that covered it. All proof that she existed. All lines that told her story. How she lived, how she died, and everything in between. Was there such a thing as fate? If so, why was it that it had been Megumi's fate to die out here, alone? Kagome shook her head. No, there was no such thing as fate. People controled their own destinies, and Kagome was no exception. Kagome stared off after Miroku. If Miroku was hurt anymore because of her. . . she wasn't sure how she could take it.
 
So quietly, Kagome stood and unrolled a scrap of papyrus that had served as an ancient version of a reciept and plucked some berries from a bush. Using a hair clip, she etched out in red juice her message, and placed the pebble atop it. She stood then, staring off over the darkened horizon. The dark would aid her this night. . . it would sheild her from spying eyes as she fled.
 
Kagome touched the ground one last time. “Megumi-san, let him understand why I am doing this. Please let him understand that I. . .” Kagome stopped here. She what? The answer came easily to her. Kagome smiled as she continued. “Please help him to understand that I am in love with him, and I can't stand to have him be hurt.”
 
And with that, Kagome stole away in to the night, hoping that Miroku would still properly mark Megumi's grave when he found her gone.
 
 
 
()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()( )()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()
 
Miroku trudged through the woods, confused and angry. Questions ran through his head, and he knew that even after they had put hours between them, he and Kagome would still not find sleep. Och, he hated questions.
 
Why would they have killed Megumi? How had killed Megumi? The questions were at the top of his mind. But what he really wanted to know was why the hell was Kagome becoming so important to him?
 
Miroku, being a man of considerable mortality, and a man who knew that he was going to die soon, never let himself get attatched to someone. He never allowed it of himself, and he didn't let them allow it either. He flirted dangerously, outrageously, but he never, ever made any promises. He understood women as well as they understood him. He was a dangerous man, not a good man, and his eyes promised danger. Women were, in general, attracted to that. They came to him, like flies would to fly paper, but they wouldn't stay. It was a game to them. See how close you could get to the fire. . . but Miroku never let any of them get burned. That was the most he could say for his behavior.
 
But with Kagome. . . He wanted to burn her. Oh, how he wanted to leave her burning. He wanted her to want him, to be ruined for other men. He didn't want any other man to touch her ever. More importantly, he wanted to someday ask her about Inuyasha and have her answer, Inuyasha-who?
 
Miroku growled ferally. Nothing made sense anymore. He cared about her too much to have her fall for him. He cared about her too much to have her pine for him when he left her. He. . .
 
. . . loved her.
 
Miroku fell to his knees, dropping the armload of wood he had managed to gather and stared at the heavens. Oh, how he loved her. . . and what a cruel time it was for him to fall in love! When he was so close to losing his life, when she could be at even more risk than usual. . .
 
He loved her.
 
Enlightened, Miroku raised off of his knees with a grin. Oh, Megumi-san, you would be so happy to know it! He loved her!
 
Miroku gathered the wood in his arms again and hurried back to Kagome. Who cared about the danger? Hell, they seemed to better in danger than out of it! The danger didn't matter to him. With Kagome, he would find a way. He would kill Naraku, take her to his time, or hers, or they could stay here, it didn't really matter. They would have lots of babies, grow old together, live a full life.
 
It occurred to Miroku that he had never wanted one before. Then it occurred to him that he had never been able to picture himself in thirty years, twenty years, hell, he hadn't been able to picture himself in five years. But now he could. He would grow to be an old man, with vhildren and grandchildren and great grandchildren sitting around him, his wife, no, Kagome, holding his hand as they watched the setting sun.
 
He would have his future. Miroku thougt as he grew closer. He would have it with Kagome!
 
“Kagome! Kagome!” He yelled as he neared her. “Kagome, I have to tell you something. I have to tell you-“
 
When Miroku didn't see her anywhere, he dropped the firewood. “Kagome?”
 
Frantic, Miroku turned in a full circle. “Kagome!” He screamed before he took off in to the heart of the forest, desperate to find her.
 
They must have taken her! Whoever killed Megumi must have. . . Miroku ran blindly, stumbling as he hopped over tree roots and rocks. If they hurt her. . .
 
 
 
Miroku searched all night and the next day, but he never found her or any evidence of her. It wasn't until the next night, heartbroken and sick, when he was preparing to burn Megumi before he resumed his quest to destroy Naraku, did he find her note.
 
It was only two sentances, but with them, Miroku felt his world collapse.
 
I have to go. Don't come after me.
 
Miroku stared in a strange mix of relief and horror at the words. Where would she go? Why would she go?
 
But he knew the asnwers to both questions. She was going after Naraku. . . she left with out him because she blamed herself for Megumi's death and was afraid he'd die too. . . Miroku grinned as he started the fire and watched the remainders of Megumi go up in smoke and ash. He'd show her that she didn't need to worry about him, and then he was going to love her so throughly she wouldn't be able to see straight, let alone get herself in to trouble. Miroku quickly preformed the funeral ceramony.
 
“Megumi. . . I'll come back with Kagome. . . after we kill Naraku. . . and we'll give you a proper grave.” Miroku placed grabbed a handful of the cooling ashes and let the wind pick it up as he let it fall. “I promise.”
 
“You shouldn't make promises you can't keep, monk. . .” Miroku heard a voice that dripped with menace hiss from behind him.
 
He slowly turned, one hand gripping at his beads as he did so.
 
“Now brother. . . he very well may come back with his love. . . as spirits.” A second voice, much more refined whispered.
 
Miroku turned and saw two human-like demons clad in battle armor leaning against two trees.
 
“Can I eat him, brother?” The younger of the two, the one with the cracked voice, asked.
 
“I would have thought you'd have been full from all the dragon you ate.” Miroku's eyes widened. These were Megumi's murderers. . . He gripped his beads harder and felt a bead of sweat roll down his forehead. “Yes. . . you can eat him. . . but save room for the miko. I believe she'll taste wonderful after we sate. . . other pleasures on her. . .”
 
Miroku could almost hear the chain on his sanitity snap as he removed his beads and unleashed hell, for the first time in his life not caring who was pulled in to the hell hole.