InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Once Upon a Cell Phone ❯ Chapter Seventeen ( Chapter 17 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

 
Title: Once Upon a Cell Phone
 
Author: Anonymous Fangirl
 
Summary: . . . just read the damned story.
 
Rating: Mature
 
Disclaimer: . . . just read the damned story.
 
Etc: Kagome: (rubs head) what happened? All I remember is the hell hole opening, and then. . .
 
Anonymous Fangirl: If I have to tell you to read the damned story one more time. . .
 
Kagome: Fine. Read and review.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Chapter Seventeen
 
 
“Kagome!” Shippo screamed as he shook her roughly. “Kagome, wake up!”
 
Kagome moaned and rolled her head. “What happened? Where's Naraku? Where's Miroku?” She asked, sitting up and growing dizzy. “I better take this slow. What happened?”
 
Sango touched Mirou's vital signs, and frowned, brows marred. “The idiot took a lot of damage. . . that was too reckless of a move.”
 
Inuyasha scoffed. “But it worked.” He said, picking up the jewel Naraku had dropped and connecting it with the ones they had gathered. It shone bright pink, before dying down to be a smooth glass ball.
 
Kagome smiled at it. “May I see it, Inuyasha?” She asked with a weak smile.
 
Inuyasha didn't say anything. He simply handed it over.
 
Kagoem stared in wonder at the tiny glass ball. All of this fighting. . . all of this death. . . all over this? The soul of a dead woman? Kagome thought as she stared at the flawledd gem.
 
Sango sat on her feet, head on her knees. “I have a theory. . . that it wasn't Midoriko's wish to keep fighting that forged the jewel. . . it was her wish to have it stop.
 
Kagome smiled. “How ironic. A jewel forged for peace that can cause nothing but heartache. . .” Kagome twisted and crawled towards Miroku, touching his right hand softly. “What happened here?”
 
Inuyasha shrugged. “I dunno what sort of crazy plan the bastard had, but it worked.”
 
Kagome glared at him. “That's not what I asked and you are avoiding the subject.”
 
Sango laughed. “Inuyasha's just jealous that he wasn't the one that didn't get to kill Naraku. Miroku opened the wind hole on you and Naraku, but he twisted his hand at the last second, so you crashed in to him. But beoreyou both feel to the ground, he swallowed Naraku up too.” She said, shaking her head. “If we're gonna talk about irony, how about the irony of Naraku dying by the weapon he gave Miroku.”
 
Kagoem didn't say anything. “Is it really a coincidence? I mean, the means of Naraku's death. . .”
 
Sango looked at her funnily. “What do you mean, Kagome?”
 
Kagome shook her head. “He planned out everything. . . I can't believe he gave Miorku's grandfather that weapon without a very spefic purpose in mind. . .”
 
Inuyasha shrugged and looked to the sky. “I guess we'll never know. . . the bastard's dead now, and if we can't figure somehting out soon, Miroku probably will be too.”
 
Kagoem stared down in horror at Miroku's pale and shaking body. “What? Why?”
Sango pointed to his chest. “He's lost an awful lot of blood. . . and the poison in them can't be helping at all. I don't think there is anything any one here can do for him.”
 
Kagome's eyes widened. “No. . . not here. . .” She turned to face Sango. “Did you say you grabbed all of Miroku's and my things?”
 
Sango nodded. “Yes, but how will that help us at a time like. . .”
 
“Get me my cell phone.” Kagome said, pointing to her bag. “No! Wait. . . get me his cell phone. He'll probably have someone's number in there that can help. . .”
 
Sango nodded and quickly began to rummage through Kagome's backpack, which was still on Kirere's back.
 
“Is he really gone, Kagome?” Shippo asked, wide eyed and innocent.
 
Kagome smiled down at him. “I don't know, Shippo. It's hard to believe someone who has been such a big part of your life is sudden;y gone, isn't it?”
 
Shippo nodded, tears in his eyes. “It's finally over. . .”
Kagome stared at the jewel. “That I can assure you.” She said as she walked over to Inuyasha, who was sitting next to a tree, staring at the bright stars that littered the sky.
 
“It's almost morning. . .” Inuyasha noted with a grunt. “I can't believe it's over. . . I don't know what I'm going to live for now.” He complained, looking over to Sango.
 
Kagome smiled, recognizing the look in her friend's eyes. “You're in love with her, aren't you?”
Inuyasha shrugged. “Yeah, I guess that I am.”
 
Kagome smiled. “I'm glad. . . maybe you'll make a good wish with this.” Kagome said, placing the completed Shikon no Tama in his clawed hands.
 
Inuyasha stared at it. “Kagome, no. I couldn't take it. I know I always claimed I wanted to be a full demon with it, but I just can't anymore. It would be like. . . it would be like I was just like him.”
Kagome smiled. “Then don't wish to be a full demon. Wish for soemthing good. Something that will purify the jewel and pacify the spirits within.”
 
Inuyasha stared at the jewel before smiling and tucking it in to his kimono. “Well, I certainly can't leave it with you. You'd probably break it again!”
 
Kagome smiled. “I'm so happy right now that I won't even sit you for that. But. . .” Kagome looked back at Miroku.
 
Inuyasha touched her hand. “You supported me through this whole thing. Now I support you. Absolutely one hundred percent. Whatever you chose to do, I believe in you.”
 
Kagome smiled. “Good. Because that makes one of us.” Kagome said.
 
“Found it! Sango yelled, running over to Kagome with a frown. “What are you going to do with it?”
 
Kagome shrugged. “Figure out how to turn it on then call one of his friends. Maybe they can get him to the future and in to a hospital bed.” Kagoem said, flicking on the green switch.
 
“Oh, Miroku-sama!” A mini naked Kagome greeted the group. Kagome blushed and shook her head and clenched a fist. “If he wasn't dying I would kill him. . .” Kagome swore as she pushed buttons until it began to ring.
 
Sango stared at it. “What did you do?”
 
Kagome shook her head. “I dunno! I think I hit redial or something! But-“
 
“H'llo?” A drugged sounding voice answered from the other end. “Miroku. . . it'd four a.m. Couldn't you have called when the sun was up?”
 
“This isn't Miroku! We have a situtation! Miroku's sick. . . he took in too much venom and he's bleeding and he won't stop!”
“Kagome?” the voice came in confused. “Kagome Higurashi? The time traveler?”
 
Kagome nodded. “Yes! Just do whatever you do to make it so that he can go back there and get treated!”
 
The man groaned. “Dammit, Miroku. Leave it to that bastard to get fataly wounded at four a.m.
 
“What's going on, sexy?” A femine voice purred from the man's end.
 
The man groaned. “Go back to sleep, Mehiuo. I've got to go.”
 
“Umm. . . but I'm hungry. . .” Kagome stared in horror at the phone. Where all of Miroku's friend's skirt chasing, sake drinking pervs?
 
“I'll be there soon, `kay? Just keep him out of trouble till I get there.”
Then the line went dead.
 
Kagome turned to see Sango and Inuyash astaring in amazement at the phone.
 
“So. . .” Inuyasha spoke first. “I am going to assume that wasn't his mother?”
 
Kagome laughed. “I sure hope not!” She said as she turned to Miroku. Leaning down, she cradled his head so that it rested in her lap. “It'll be okay, Miroku. You'll see. Your friend will be here soon.”
 
 
 
()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()( )()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()
 
As it turned out, soon was one hour and forty three long minutes later.
 
A man dressed in a leather jacket and jeans stalked out of the forest with a glower on his face. “Why couldn't you guys have parkd your asses in a clearing? The trees are too dense for me to get through, so I had to go soemwhere else and then find you. And you know what? Just because I am Miroku's friend doesn't mean I like trekking around in this crap!” He complained.
 
Miroku stirred for the first time. “ Suu. . . hai.” He whispered.
 
Suuhai glared at him. “Yeah, it's me. What the hell is up man? Getting all beat up? Now I got to take you to a hospital and,”
 
“No hospital.” Miroku said in a small voice. “I want to go to my room. . . please.”
 
Suuahi groaned. “Dammit. . . when you ask like that, I can't argue.” Suuhai turned to Kagome. “Am I to assume that you're coming with us, Kagome?” He asked with a wink as he picked Miroku up and slung him over his shoulder.
 
Kagome gasped. “Careful with him! His injured!”
 
Suuhai groaned. “And heavy! I'll probably pull a muscle or something getting back to the clearing I came in from. . .” He smiled then, and turned to Kagome. “Say, if I got injured, would you tend to me too?”
 
Miroku growled. “Suuhai. . . don't make me kill you before I've had breakfast. . .”
 
Suuhai laughed. “Fine. But, man you owe me one.”
 
Miroku smiled, and stared at his now curseless palm. “Yeah. . . I owe you one.”
 
Kagome turned back and grabbed her bag. “I'm gonna go with them now, you guys.” Kagome said as she hugged tehm each seperately.
 
Shippo sniffled. “Alright, Kagome.”
 
Sanog hugged her too. “Are you gonna come back?”
 
Kagome shrugged. “If I can. . . I don't know how well the well works without the shards of the shikon jewel. . .” She said, smiling at Inuyasha. “But I'm sure that Miroku can use some miracle future device to get us back here.”
 
She leaned in and tugged Inuyasha'a ears one more time.
 
“Hey! What was that for?” He demanded, rubbing his ear.
 
Kagome smiled. “In case I can't ever do it again. . .” She said, and leaned in close, whispering, name your first daughter after me. . .
 
Inuyasha blushed, but nodded.
 
“Kagome! Hurry up!” Suuhai yelled from far ahead.
 
Kagome smiled and waved goodbye, taking in one last deep breath of the past she wouldn't have had the chance to have if it wasn't for that cursed jewel. . .
 
She smiled as she caught up with Suuhai and Miroku. That jewel wasn't completely cursed. . . She thought with a nodd of her head. After all, it brought me to all of them!
 
“Are you day dreaming or something? Hurry up, Kagome!” Suuhai told her, though it was he who was panting for breath.
 
“I'm coming!” She said, catching up and running a little ways ahead. Looking to the sky as the dawn broke over the horizon, Kagome was sure that for a second, she saw Midoriko standing facing the sun, her back to Kagome. But Kagome blinked, and she was gone. She blinked twice in shock before shaking her head. Did it matter if she had freed the soul of a long trapped Miko? No, what mattered was the present. She wasn't sure about the future, nor was she all that certain about her past, but her now she understood perfectly.