InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Pack Law ❯ Questions ( Chapter 5 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Pack Law
 
Chapter 5: Questions
 
Biting back a low groan, Kagome opened her eyes to a sea of white. Her vision blurring, she tried to move her arm up to rub her eyes, only to feel a clawed hand catch her at the wrist.
 
“How are you feeling?” If she tilted her head, she could see concerned gold eyes staring at her. They were even with her, though, not looking down…
 
It was only then that Kagome realized she was lying on her stomach on her bed. Her upper body was tilted up just a bit, with her head on InuYasha's stomach. He was laid out on the bed sideways. He couldn't possibly be comfortable. Taller than her, InuYasha had his knees bent at the edge of the bed, his feet flat on the floor. Even then, his head was inclined at an impossible angle, a pillow between him and the wall. Blushing at how intimate it seemed to wake up lying half on top of him, she tried to push herself to a sitting position.
 
Kagome tucked her forearms underneath her before InuYasha realized what she was doing and could move to stop her. Instead, she was halted by felt like a red-hot poker being drawn down her back. She choked back a scream, but bit her lip hard enough to draw blood. The few drops drew InuYasha's attention; he grabbed her hands, hissing at her. “Stupid wench!”
 
It was a mark of her pain that she couldn't find it in herself to form a suitable comeback. From his vantage point, InuYasha could understand why. The girl now had an X of sorts across her back. The bear youkai's wound had started to close up, but her exertions in the park had ripped open the deepest part of that scratch. Luckily, the fiery blades the youkai in the park had shot at her had only clipped her. The most painful part was the section where the two wounds met, just to the right of her back.
 
The pain wiped all sense of propriety from Kagome's head. It being the main thing she could focus on, she lowered her head back onto InuYasha's abdomen with a low moan. Any other time, InuYasha would be swelling with masculine pride to hear moaning come from his miko in her bed. But right now, there was only the roiling scent of “pain” pouring off her, and while he'd rather learn to dance with Sesshomaru than admit it, it set him as far on edge as he could imagine. Worse than knowing she was in pain was the overwhelming sense of guilt.
 
“Kagome… Kagome, I'm sorry I didn't make it in time…” His apologies sounded hollow to his ears. Deep in her brain, Kagome registered that for probably the first time ever, he was apologizing. He wasn't calling himself stupid or making promises to do better, but actually sorry for what he perceived as his own inadequacies. She pasted a smile on her face as she turned to him.
 
“Oh, InuYasha.” She would have reached out to cup his face had she not been lying so awkwardly. “It's hardly your fault I'm hurt right now.” Concern flooded his eyes and she figured a little ego-boosting couldn't hurt. In the back of her brain, it briefly registered that what she was about to say could, and probably would, be turned on her later. She decided she didn't care… and besides that, it was the truth. “I shouldn't have gone out without you at least being on this side of the well. You're always telling me not to wander off in Sengoku Jidai. But I forget just how dangerous my time period can be. That's not even taking into account youkai randomly popping up…” The rest of her comment was drowned out by a yawn.
 
InuYasha's innate curiosity got the better of his need to see Kagome sleeping peacefully again. “What happened?
 
About the same time, Kagome was coming up with questions of her own. “Anyway, what are you doing here so soon? I thought you said I had four days!”
 
“I…” InuYasha trailed off. Even he, the insensitive baka he knew he could be, could tell that Kagome was really in no shape to make a decision regarding her future right now. He didn't want her to agree out of sleepiness, and live to regret it later, especially if he were to discuss her becoming his mate. So he did what he did best: argued. “Yes, I said you could have four days. But I didn't tell you to immediately go hunting youkai over here!”
 
Kagome bristled at the insinuation she had gone looking for trouble. `It's really not my fault that trouble seems to be drawn to me like Souta to the newest video games. Still, I kinda wish he could have found me in a better position than having to save my sorry butt again.'
 
“I didn't run into Ken on purpose, baka!”
 
InuYasha's face grew hard as she referred to the fire youkai by name. “Ken… Have you ever run into him before?” The look Kagome shot at him could have frozen the sun.
 
“Don't you think I would have told you if I had run into youkai in my era? How stupid do you think I am!?” InuYasha had opened his mouth to respond, something sure to cut the miko to the quick, when she interrupted. “You know what, don't answer that second question.”
 
Kagome stifled a giggle. The hanyou looked as though he had really been pleased with what he was going to say, and was none too pleased with her cutting off his snappy retort. That was reason alone to cut him off.
 
InuYasha snorted, crossing his arms over his chest with a pronounced, “Keh.” Silence waged for a moment as he ran over her indignant comment in his mind. “Why are you upset that I asked if you met him? You called him by name! It just seems suspicious you'd be on a first name basis with him, that's all!”
 
“That's what that other guy called him!” Kagome's answer was instantaneous and almost more heated than before.
 
“That boy could have gotten you killed, interfering the way he did!”
 
“InuYasha, I'm sure Hitomu was trying to help. And he really was helpful. If he hadn't come, I don't think I would have been able to fend Ken off for long.” InuYasha looked disgruntled at that assessment. `Stupid kid, jumping in where he's not needed.' The hanyou easily overlooked how he had been slurping ramen while Kagome was being attacked in the park. `I protect Kagome, damn it! Not a stupid random human male.'
 
Kagome's giggle distracted him from thoughts that had gone from angry to far beyond that. He realized he'd been growling at the images in his head. `Still, no reason for her to be all happy!'
 
He glared down at the girl, “What's so funny?”
 
“You…” Kagome, bless her heart, was trying to contain her laughter. “You were growling! I'm sorry, but with my head on your belly, it tickled!”
 
InuYasha's ears perked up. He had learned the hard way she was ticklish on her sides; he'd been trying to yank her out of the way of a youkai attack, and she had lost it. `Crazy wench. Laughing in the middle of an attack like that. It's a wonder she managed to get off a decent shot.' Even worse, he hadn't been able to go near her the rest of the day without her breaking down all over again.
 
“Keh. You find too many things to laugh at!”
 
Kagome tilted her head slightly at that assessment. Had she had more energy, she would have probably tried to figure out if he had any weaknesses. As it was, she was starting to droop as her energy left her. InuYasha noticed.
 
“Go to sleep. I'll wake you up when it's time to eat.” The hanyou let loose a little rumble. Far from tickling, it soothed her into dreamless sleep.
 
**********
 
“I didn't give you a jewel shard so you could lose it to the likes of a human.” A displeased voice reverberated from the darkness. It sounded hollow, ancient… and angry.
 
“Master… I had no way of knowing either of those would be that powerful.”
 
“I warned you not to underestimate them. I told you they were dangerous. You're only lucky you avoided a confrontation with the inu-hanyou. InuYasha wouldn't have let you escape, and for that, you should be thankful.”
 
“I almost took down his human bitch, Master.” Ken's tone turned pleading as he stared into the shadows.
 
“Impudent wench. I had thought us well rid of the fool after all these years.” The voice sounded curious. “You say you sensed no taint in her aura?”
 
Ken shook his head, eyes continuously darting as the voice echoed from behind him. “She's as mortal as the day she was born, Master.”
 
“Very well. Leave me. Be pleased I haven't destroyed you for your foolishness. You will retrieve that shard, and the others the girl possesses.”
 
Ken bowed low, backing slowly out the door.
 
“Soon, miko, I shall know your secrets. I shall have the jewel, and I shall have you.”
 
**********
 
The next two days went by in a blur to Kagome. She spent most of her time lying in bed, eating or reading while InuYasha barked at her for “overdoing it” every time she twitched. `Well, that's probably an exaggeration.' The miko sighed. While she was thrilled at the level of protectiveness and caring her hanyou had shown, she was getting really bored with her room.
 
“I'll be fine!”
 
“No, you won't!” Arms crossed over his chest, he looked more like a punk bouncer than a hanyou. He was a living, breathing Great Wall of China, guarding her door zealously.
 
“Baka!”
 
“Bi-”
 
Kagome bit back a growl of her own. For all her lack of youki, she did a great impression of a pissed-off inu youkai. Rather, a perfect impression of a certain irritating, overbearing, overprotective, angry inu hanyou. “Don't finish that…”
 
“-tch.”
 
“Osuwari.” InuYasha hit the ground, his low growl interrupted by his sudden re-introduction to Kagome's softly-carpeted floor.
 
Kagome stepped over his inert body to walk down the stairs. She wouldn't have long before the spell wore off, and he'd be up and after her. She still couldn't move too quickly, but she absolutely couldn't, and wouldn't, spend another day in bed.
 
“Oh, Kagome. Are you feeling better?” Her mother was happy enough to see her daughter up and about. The woman kindly overlooked the thud that had echoed down through the ceiling, sending a silent thanks to the kami that the magic rosary hadn't dragged an angry hanyou through to the main floor. She set to work putting together a filling lunch. “I'm making oden for dinner tonight. When will you and InuYasha be going back through the well?”
 
Her mother stared over her shoulder to the doorway, where a seething InuYasha stood. “Tonight,” he responded curtly. His tone booked no argument. Kagome nodded her assent.
 
“What did you do with those bags I had at the park?” Kagome suddenly remembered she had gone shopping that day. She hoped he hadn't dragged her off and left the groceries and treats just sitting in the park, but she wouldn't put it past him.
 
“Oh, I've already packed most of your bag, dear. You just need to get your clothes together.” InuYasha grinned, pleased that neither woman was arguing with his decision not to prolong this trip. It had been eventful enough, and he couldn't follow her off shrine property without that stupid cap. At least in his own time, he could protect her properly.
 
Kagome turned glistening doe eyes on InuYasha. It was a remarkable change in attitude, at an astonishing speed, but then again, Kagome had always been able to unsettle him with just how emotional she could be. She could flit through a full array in emotions faster than he could whip out a Kaze no Kizu. His ears went down a notch in suspicion. She wanted something.
 
“Keh. Spit it out. What do you want?” InuYasha tore his eyes away. Her face could get him to do almost anything, but he'd never let her know that. `Sneaky wench would probably con me into letting her come back every other day. Doesn't she know she belongs with me?'
 
InuYasha shifted guiltily as he answered himself. `No, she doesn't know. You haven't told her what you think yet, and you haven't mentioned the talismans, either! She wants to be able to see her family, baka.'
 
Kagome looked back over at her mother by the stove before shifting into bargaining mode. “I'll bring extra ramen and potato chips if you let us stay until dinner!”
 
InuYasha's gaze darted from the young woman to her mother and back again. She looked so damn hopeful. Could he possibly say no to that face? `Of course not,' he sighed to himself.
 
Recognizing his agreement in the sigh, Kagome squealed and ran outside. “C'mon, slowpoke! It's beautiful out!”
 
**********
 
Lazing in the shade of Goshinbuku, Kagome looked up at InuYasha sprawled in its branches. She brought up a line of questions they'd been bouncing back and forth the last few days.
 
“Do you think Hitomu could really be Miroku's reincarnation?”
 
InuYasha snorted, shaking his head. He knew she was watching him; her eyes seared into him as though she had - What had Souta called it? `Lazy eyes? No… layer. Lay-zer?' He wondered if he should have been paying more attention when the kid had been spouting off information about his newest game.
 
Ears flicking, InuYasha realized Kagome was waiting for a response. “Keh.”
 
“That's helpful. Why don't you tell me what you really think?”
 
InuYasha didn't want to. How to tell her that, though? “I don't think he's a reincarnation.”
 
“Why not?”
 
“I just… I don't, that's all.”
 
“I'm Kikyou's reincarnation. Why couldn't he be Miroku's?”
 
InuYasha cast his mind about for an answer that wouldn't have her asking too many questions. “Miroku's not dead yet.”
 
Kagome rolled her eyes. “Not on the other side of the well, he's not. He's human, though, InuYasha! There's no way he's still alive.” The miko cringed. Lately, she had come to realize even if she and InuYasha came to some sort of understanding between the two of them, she would die long before he did. She ached at the thought of leaving him alone. `If only his brother would warm up to him,' she thought, thinking back to the day the two had stepped aside for a discussion. `Sesshomaru could stay by his side if they were friendlier toward each other.'
 
She cut off her morbid line of thought, watching the hanyou intently. His ears were flickering again, a sure sign that he was deep in thought.
 
“He smelled too much like the lecher.”
 
That wasn't an answer Kagome was expecting at all. “What do you mean? Don't I smell like Kikyou?”
 
InuYasha rolled off the branch to drop into a crouch at Kagome's feet, shaking his head. “No way. You two are… were… very different. I could scent the monk on the boy.”
 
Kagome lifted an eyebrow at what seemed to be a reluctant admission. “What do you mean? Like, he's a however-many-great grandson of Miroku's?”
 
InuYasha nodded vaguely. He wasn't about to let her know just how strong Miroku's scent was on the boy. He needed to distract her. But how?
 
With a sly grin, he thought back a few days to Kagome's departure from the Feudal Era. Hey, she had started it…
 
“I just don't think that -”
 
Kagome's voice was cut off by the press of soft lips onto hers. She was vaguely cognizant of his clawed hand on her chin, lifting her head to meet his.
 
Behind the kiss, InuYasha smirked. He had found an effective, pleasurable way of keeping his wench quiet.
 
A/N:
 
Admittedly, there wasn't a whole lot in this chapter. For anybody upset I'm not moving fast enough - I really am sorry, but I don't plan on just leaping into things. I've always been of the opinion that anything awesome is worth waiting for. If I do say so myself… this story is going to go in some pretty fun directions.
 
That being said - if anybody catches any errors… spelling, grammar, continuity - please feel free to bring it to my attention! I don't actually have a beta, but I do re-read my chapters several times. Still, a fresh pair of eyes is always welcome.
 
Thanks again for all of the great reviews - I hope you continue enjoying the story!
 
Disclaimer: I do not own InuYasha or any other characters from the anime/manga. They all belong to Rumiko Takahashi.