InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Pack Law ❯ One Week – Journey in the Past ( Chapter 6 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Pack Law
 
Chapter 6: One Week - Journey in the Past
 
Saturday
 
“Promise me!” Kagome's voice rang out in Kaede's hut forcefully.
 
“Keh! I ain't promising anything!”
 
“InuYasha, this isn't negotiable. We made this deal three months ago!”
 
“Well, things have changed since then, wench!”
 
Heads went back and forth as the two exchanged verbal blows, insults, and pleas.
 
The last two months had gone by quickly enough for the group. They had recovered three more shards, estimating they had about half the jewel.
 
Kagome had repeatedly stressed throughout the summer to the group that she felt unsettled. Something was going to happen; something big, she just knew it. What or when completely eluded her, but she wanted the group to be prepared. InuYasha had rolled his eyes, telling her she was “sensing things.” She'd been less than amused. `Psh, yeah. `Cuz sensing things and seeing things are totally the same thing, baka!' Still, nothing bad had come their way.
 
In fact, everything had been superb as of late. Nobody had gotten major injuries after the battle with the bear youkai (and Kagome's run-in with the fire youkai in the future). Kagome and InuYasha had grown noticeably closer, as well. The two could often be found cuddled up against each other in a tree while the group was out on hunts and chasing down rumors.
 
Miroku and Sango were engaged to be wed on Autumn Solstice. The village had been thrown into a frenzy preparing to celebrate the occasion; all of InuYasha's pack had been elevated to “protector” status and were honored above almost all others. The group was thrilled to find the villagers had built two huts on the edge of town, near InuYasha's forest. They felt it was only proper for the hanyou to be nearest the forest named after him. Right now, the huts were divided up between the men and the women, to maintain a sense of decency for the villagers. Shippou stayed with the girls in their cabin; he was seen by everybody as Kagome's son. After the solstice, Miroku, Sango, and Kohaku would share a hut. InuYasha was considered more “legitimate” than Miroku when it came to staying with Kagome; he was her protector, after all, and most residents entertained an unspoken hope that Lady Kagome would choose to stay with them as Kaede's successor.
 
The only negative moments had happened the day after Kagome and InuYasha had come back from their restocking trip. Kagome had haltingly admitted that she had found another shard of the jewel in her time… which, to her thinking, meant they hadn't completed the jewel in Sengoku Jidai. She was a little confused as to why neither Sango nor Miroku looked particularly concerned about the news. InuYasha had told her not to worry about it. Both had agreed to not bring up the mysterious young man who looked so much like Miroku. InuYasha was pretty certain he knew what was going on; Kagome, still certain that she had met Miroku's reincarnation, didn't want to dampen their rising spirits with suggestions of the monk's death.
 
Miroku and Sango had repeatedly told InuYasha he needed to get his butt in gear and talk to Kagome about the bonding. Even Sesshomaru had shown up near the village a few times, letting InuYasha know that he didn't have forever. If he didn't bring things up with Kagome soon, Sesshomaru would do it himself.
 
InuYasha just hadn't found a good time to really bring it up. Now, though, he was focused on preventing Kagome from leaving for a week.
 
Kagome looked ready to throttle some sense into the stubborn hanyou. Miroku knew it was time to step in. “InuYasha, be fair. I understand you worry for Lady Kagome's safety, but you did say she could go back for her first full week of schooling, uninterrupted, if she spent the summer months here.”
 
The miko shot Miroku a thankful look. It wasn't that she wanted to leave InuYasha and the others here, but she really did need to buckle down. She was ashamed to have done so poorly on her high school entrance exams; even though she knew she was lucky to have passed at all. She was determined not to dishonor her family this time around.
 
The monk pulled InuYasha aside, ignoring his blustering to pin him with a glowering look. “Listen,” he said in a low tone only the hanyou could hear, “You need to talk to Kagome and you need to do it soon. But nothing will come of it if you're both angry with each other. Why don't you let her do this? While she's gone, you can go to Totosai's and get those talismans made.”
 
InuYasha was silent. On one hand, the monk had a point. He, Sango, and Miroku had all agreed that if there were still jewel shards left in Kagome's time, they needed to be there, no questions about it. Even Kohaku had agreed immediately. On the other, there were random, dangerous youkai in her time! He needed to be there to protect Kagome, damn it!
 
Seeing the emotions pass over InuYasha's unguarded face, Kagome began to smile. He was going to give in. It was time to wrap up this fight. “I promise, InuYasha, I'll be very careful. I'll keep my ring with me at all times, and if I get even a hint that I may be attacked, I'll come straight back through the well. Just… please? I don't want to dishonor my family by doing poorly in school again.” Honor was InuYasha's weak point. He may not understand schooling, may not understand math and science and student get-togethers, but he believed in standing up for what you believed in.
 
The hanyou caved, with one warning. “I'm coming for you in seven days. No ifs, ands or buts about it. Be ready.”
 
Kagome nodded agreeably. “I'll be packed Saturday morning.”
 
**********
 
Sunday
 
Kagome left early that morning, with a kiss for InuYasha and Shippou, a hug from Kaede and Sango and a good luck charm from Miroku. Holding her bow and completely full quiver, she once again promised InuYasha she would stay aware and come back if she faced any problems.
 
A few moments later, she was swallowed up by the pale blue glow of the time slip. For a few hours, InuYasha and Shippou lounged in Goshinboku. Though neither said a word, both were thinking the same thing. `I wish Kagome were back.'
 
Once InuYasha was certain Kagome wouldn't be coming back that day, he took off to the West. He'd meet up with Sesshomaru then head to Totosai's. Shippou, Miroku, and Sango all swore to keep an eye on the well for any disturbances. With those reassurances in place, he took off.
 
`Maybe it'll be easier to ask Kagome to stay with me if I have something to give her at the same time.'
 
**********
 
Tuesday
 
“Don't be such a pup, InuYasha.”
 
The hanyou glared. “Have I called you a bastard yet today? If not… you're a bastard.”
 
“I do believe you have mentioned that in passing.”
 
InuYasha rubbed his jaw, letting a small, pained whine slip through his lips. “Keh. You got the easy part. The old geezer just had to take a bit of your hair.”
 
“Your fangs will be back by morning.” It was true enough. InuYasha could already feel a point tip poking through his gum. It didn't appease his wounded pride, though. The asshole had smirked while the geezer took his sweet time in prying those teeth from his mouth.
 
“If I didn't know you don't enjoy anything, I'd say you were enjoying this.”
 
“Are you saying you will not do the same tomorrow? What will you do for the rest of your pack? You need at least five talismans, if you wish to provide the kitsune with one as well. Doing so will allow your youki to blend with his. He will be considered formally adopted.”
 
InuYasha rolled his eyes. “Yeah, yeah, I know. The kit'll flip when he finds out.”
 
**********
 
Friday
 
Gazing at his fangs nestled inside a wooden box; InuYasha grudgingly admitted Totosai had done a remarkable job. All five were hung on a silver chain, forged with Sesshomaru's hair to give it strength. The wait had been worth it.
 
“After a while, your pack may also find they have a stronger immunity to poisons,” Sesshomaru had pointed out the extra feature of his youki being infused into the chains. His naturally strong youki would be tempered by InuYasha's more human-tinted aura. The incorporation of Sesshomaru's youki would help keep InuYasha's in check should he transform, though with Kagome around, InuYasha privately felt it wouldn't be that big of an issue.
 
“You will come to the castle in a few days?” Sesshomaru had finally given up his wandering ways with his rise to Inu no Taisho. His confirmation with the other Lords would be simply a formality, but one that couldn't be performed without his beta by his side. InuYasha was still having a hard time coming to terms with the idea of not only needing to be with Sesshomaru, but the very thought that Sesshomaru may actually need him.
 
`Kagome's due back tomorrow!' he thought elatedly. With a distracted nod to his brother, he agreed to go home, grab his pack, and head west. He was already planning his quick trip to the other side of the well. `She'll be as happy as I am to see her, right?'
 
“Kagome will be home tomorrow. We'll leave after that. Four days good for you?”
 
Sesshomaru inclined his head slightly. “Four shall suffice. No longer, though. The other Lords grow restless as we waste time on formalities. Be sure your pack is prepared. Youkai are distrustful of humans; your pack will pose even more of a threat.”
 
InuYasha lifted an eyebrow, “My humans? A threat to youkai lords?”
 
If Sesshomaru ever debased his perfect image to roll his eyes (he didn't, but if he did) he would have. “Your alpha female is easily the strongest miko since Midoriko herself, if not stronger. Your beta male also has spiritual powers. Your beta female and the pup are the last of a clan of taijya. Use your brains, little brother.”
 
“Kohaku isn't a pup anymore.” It was easier to argue with Sesshomaru than admit he had a point. Kohaku had been the only thing he felt the tai-youkai was off on. InuYasha reflected on the torment still obvious in the young man's eyes. He had seen more than his share of sorrow. Hell, he had done horrific things that nobody should have to endure. Sango and Kagome both reminded the young man that enduring is what humans are best at, and it would only make him stronger in the end. The kind reminders helped. Nobody pretended he hadn't done those acts, but they stressed the differences of Naraku's deceit and willingly turning his weapon on those he loved.
 
Sesshomaru was silent as InuYasha turned on his heel and took off back to his village.
 
**********
 
Saturday
 
`Fuckin' finally!' InuYasha bounded down from his perch in Goshinboku. He had stationed himself on his favorite branch just a couple hours after arriving at the village the night before. A quick trip to the huts had Sango and Miroku shaking their heads; Kagome hadn't come by at all. InuYasha had tucked the wooden box near the futon he and Kagome had cuddled on. Her lingering scent was driving him insane. He decided a night in the tree would be preferable to a night being reminded about what he couldn't have.
 
Shippou was waiting on the lip of the well, peering down inside. The kit had made his daily appearance at sunrise. InuYasha would have left then, but he knew Kagome would sit him all the way to hell if he woke her up that early, no matter how much he wanted to see her, hold her, taste her sweet kisses… `Stop it! No good thinking about it…'
 
“Are you going to bring Kagome back now?” Shippou's voice was filled with hope and excitement. He hated going so long without his mother. The longest they'd ever been apart was the ten days InuYasha had grudgingly given the girl to prepare for her entrance exams.
 
InuYasha nodded as he leapt into the well, shouting up, “Make sure Miroku and Sango are ready to go! We'll make the most of the daylight.”
 
Shippou had just turned to run to the village when he heard a thump come from the bottom of the well. A silence so thick he almost choked on it filled the clearing for all of five seconds before InuYasha let out a cry filled with anguish, denial and frustration so heartbreaking it cut through him like a sword. The kitsune made a u-turn, peering down into the darkness. All he could see of InuYasha was a head of silvery hair; the hanyou's ears were pressed so far down and back that they were hidden.
 
“Kagome… Okaa-san… she wouldn't…” His quiet pleas fell on deaf ears as InuYasha let out a whine his human companions wouldn't have been able to hear. If they had been around, if they could have heard it, it might have conjured up mental images of a kicked puppy.
 
The two sat in silence until a roar drew Shippou's eyes up to meet Sango's and Miroku's. Both looked worried.
 
“What happened?” Sango pulled the now weeping kit into her arms.
 
InuYasha's low growl turned menacing, but there was no denying the hint of pained rejection that truly stressed how close the hanyou was to losing control. “That bitch… she… she SEALED the fucking WELL!”
 
A/N:
 
What's going on!?
Because the next chapter is so long, I'm going to end up spacing it over two. The story as I had pictured it up to this point has evolved a bit. I hope to have the next chapter posted really soon, but I decided I'd rather give you guys this than leave you all hanging… it's more fun to leave you hanging on THIS note!
 
Disclaimer: I do not own InuYasha or any other characters from the anime/manga. They all belong to Rumiko Takahashi.