InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Pandora's Box ❯ If Only You Knew ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 4--> If Only You Knew
----------------------------------------------------

The sun was beating down on the two of them as Kagome and Taji continued to walk around the village. A few of the people stopped and watched tentatively as their young prince escorted the stranger around now. Kagome looked side to side as she felt the beady eyes of the people latched on to her. Like if she was an alien or something. Taji glanced down and noticed how uncomfortable Kagome looked, and he tugged her arm into the direction of the river. Obliged to follow, Kagome wondered where he was taking her now.

"Where are we going?"

"The people, you don't feel right with the people staring at you, no?" Kagome shrugged, but had to nod in agreement. "Then its settled. You see, the same thing happens with my brother Taro and his love. He showed me the spot where he and Sakuya go to find a peaceful place to talk." Kagome looked up at him with a smile.

"That is very thoughtful of you, Taji," said Kagome. [Wish Inuyasha was as considerate all the time as Taji is, ] thought Kagome. She was still in love with the hanyou, and she was positive that he loved her back. But still there were times when the chemistry just didn't match. Damn the chemistry. Then Kagome remembered she had a Chem. Lab due next week. Oh well, that would be pushed off to the side, as usual. Who needed to worry about some silly lab when youkais were hunting you down? The crowds of the people started to diminish as Kagome and Taji crossed over the bridge that rested above the river.

"Not many people come over here, though I am not sure why not," said Taji. "The land is most beautiful here. I am guessing that many of the people still fear the waters. Please, Lady Kagome, I would love to hear more about you." Kagome blushed and her mind blanked. What about her did he want to know? "You are extraordinary, able to tame not one youkai, but two. And the priests say its impossible to tame a youkai period."

"Oh, I haven't really tamed him," confessed Kagome. "When I first met Inuyasha, he was like every other youkai, after the Shikon no Tama. But then the high priestess Kaede put on the rosary beads and he's been better." Taji nodded.

"You aren't from around here. This time I mean. You're clothes, they are all too foreign."

"I do I live in another time..." Kagome started to tell the interested Taji about the present time. From cars, to school, to other countries... her list when on and on. Taji lead her a few more minutes after they crossed the river, and then they noticed a pair sitting close together. Taji pressed his fingers towards his lips, as to shhh her. They watched as Taro and Sakuya were very into whatever they were talking about. Then they leaned forward and kissed each other lightly on the lips. Kagome imagined if she was Sakuya and Taro was Inuyasha. Shaking her head, she snapped out of the fantasy as she noticed out of the corner of her eye that Taji's smile turned mischievous. He walked down towards the kissing couple, pulling Kagome with him. "I don't think we should-"

"Hey Taro!" shouted Taji. "Since when did Father give his blessing of a marriage to you?" Taro and Sakuya almost fell over in shock and they both jumped up. Turning around, their faces bright as tomatoes. Taji couldn't only enjoy tormenting his younger brother. "It isn't proper kissing one who's not a member of the family." Taro let out a cheep, but perfect, smile. Sakuya turned away, playing with her fingers. Kagome felt bad, she didn't want to intrude on them.

The group of four split up a bit. Taji wanted to impress Kagome with his fighting skills, so he challenged Taro to a little duel. Off a bit, they both drew their swords and commenced their "battle". The clashing of the two sheets of metal echoed in the little valley that they were in. Taro hadn't really expected the strength that his brother was using, and took a bit to retaliate each swing and attack. Sakuya and Kagome sat back a bit on the hill section that Kagome and Taji had just come over.

"So how long have you know Taro and Taji?" asked Kagome, trying to make conversation. Sakuya was having a hard time looking Kagome in the eyes.

"For about three years now," replied Sakuya. "I come twice a lunar cycle."

"Why is that?"

"It's... complicated. I have issues with my brother-"

"You have a brother! So do I. Little brothers can be pains, but I miss Souta a lot," said Kagome. Sakuya pulled her knees close to her chest as she hugged her legs.

"I have an older brother. A much older brother," she replied. "Why do you miss your brother?" Kagome started to explain to Sakuya about the situation she was in. How she was from another time period and how her family was covering up for her.

"My mother and grandfather have been great through it all too," said Kagome. Sakuya sighed.

"I wish my mother was still around. And I've never met my grandfather," said Sakuya, her voice very soft.

"Why haven't you seen them?"

"I never knew my grandfather," said Sakuya. "And my mother died a long time ago." Kagome looked down to the ground. She felt that guilt pain again. Opening up her big mouth. [When am I going to learn? ] she asked herself.

"At least you have your brother," happily chimed Kagome. Sakuya's eyes closed and she shook her head.

"I would rather not have him as a brother," replied Sakuya coldly. "He's not the nicest one in the family." [BIG MOUTH! ] thought Kagome.

"I'm sorry. I just have such a big mouth," said Kagome. Sakuya looked up at Kagome with a big smile crossing her face.

"Don't be. It is my problem that I have to deal with. Besides you don't know him, so consider yourself to be very lucky," said Sakuya. Kagome gave her a side ways glance. "My brother, he's a user. To put it in simple terms. And he's not a very nice... man."

"Oh."

"So tell me about you and your youkais."

"What do you want to know about Shippou and Inuyasha?" asked Kagome. Sakuya stretched her legs out and turned to look at her.

"In all my years on this land, I've come across plenty of youkais. All which have tried to kill me. But your two--Shippou and Inuyasha you call them?--neither of them came after me at all," said Sakuya.

"Oh, well, Shippou's only a kid kitsune," said Kagome. "He couldn't really hurt you. He plays more tricks than anything else. And Inuyasha, well he had no reason to attack you." Sakuya nodded her head.

"So he only attacks if provoked?" asked Sakuya. Kagome nodded her head.

"Why do you want to know?" Sakuya shrugged and leaned back on the grass, her eyes glancing down towards Taro and Taji who were still battling it out. Sakuya shook her head at the two brothers.

"I was just wondering," she said, casting her eyes towards Kagome for a second. "I hope I'm not too bold for you, but I think that Taji has taken a liking to you." Kagome blushed and placed her hand towards her cheek.

"You think so?" she asked. Kagome knew if Inuyasha thought the same as Sakuya that he would probably be so jealous right now. Sakuya nodded and sat up slightly. She sighed and kept her eyes on Taro.

"Every time I visit this village, I'm always accompanied with Taro, and I've never heard a word spoke of a woman taking Taji's heart. I've heard of Aiko eyeing about anyone with two legs and a cock. Hiroki's too young to love anyone. But still, Taji--I've been worried about him. And so has Akiyama. The Lord fears that his eldest will never find love, and possess an heir." Kagome frowned.

"That is sad," she said. Her thoughts converted over towards Inuyasha, she tried to compare Taji and Inuyasha towards each other, but nothing came up. Taji and Taro were still at it, and Taji had the upper hand, using his body weight to add to the sword as they locked, and pressed Taro to the ground. Kagome watched at the happy face of the triumphant samurai. "Is there anything going on between you and Taro?" Sakuya blushed but then sighed.

"I think so, but it never will work," she said in a sad tone. Kagome was about to ask why, but it was like Sakuya read her mind. "My brother has been causing so many problems in my life. And so has my father. I don't have a memory of him, but I know he has ruined my life."

"How could you know that if you don't remember him."

"Because of who he was," said Sakuya. "And his side of the family. They make me a disgrace. And if Taro ever found out about them or who my brother was, he would turn away in a heartbeat." Kagome was confused.

"But if he loves you, he should never turn away from you, no matter what," said Kagome. [Inuyasha and I have had our moments, and disasters, and setbacks. But I've never stopped loving him or turned away from him because he's a hanyou. ] Sakuya looked back to the ground.

"I wish life was that simple," said Sakuya. Taji helped up his brother, and both walked over towards the girls. Taro planted himself next to Sakuya, and Taji to Kagome. Both sheathed their weapons, and rested on the ground.

"So what did you think?" asked Taro. Sakuya smiled.

"You were great. It is always fun watching you," said Sakuya. Taro smiled, and placed his hand over top of hers.

"What did you think, Lady Kagome?" asked Taji. Sakuya and Taro flashed glanced towards the other two. Kagome caught a blank, she really hadn't been watching the brothers duel. She had been too caught up with her conversation with Sakuya that she had actually forgotten about the little duel. Sakuya's eyes widened as she tried to encourage Kagome to talk.

"You were amazing. I feel honored watching such skilled samurais train," lied Kagome. Taji gave off his perfect smile and nodded towards Kagome in a thanks. Kagome turned towards Sakuya and Taro. "This is such a beautiful place. Thank you for letting us intrude." Taro nodded his head and Sakuya smiled.

"It was nothing, Lady Kagome," said Taro. "This is just a place for us to escape." Sakuya nodded.

"It's a lot nicer than trying to talk with lines of girls trailing behind you," said Sakuya. Taji nodded. The four sat around talking for a bit until the minutes slipped to hours and the hours counted down until they struck the sunset. Sakuya got up, and padded off her kimono.

"It has been wonderful meeting you, Lady Kagome," she said. "But I must say that I hate to tell you that I must go now." Kagome nodded, but Taro jumped up in a protest.

"Please stay for dinner," said Taro. "Hiroki will be furious if you leave him before he can talk to you." [I'm sure that's not the only reason Taro wants Sakuya to stay, ] thought Kagome with a smile. Sakuya looked at the rising full moon, and then turned back to look at Kagome and then to Taro. She nodded her head.

"But I can't stay too late," she added. Taro nodded, and Taji helped up Kagome from the ground and they started to head for the brothers' home.

Meanwhile Inuyasha was pacing around the same ground that he had pounded Shippou's head into earlier. Hours he had paced, back and forth, back and forth. Sango sat down on the ground, her eyes latching towards the village. Miroku had finished "exercising" the house and Aiko had taken him to the village. Shippou was sleeping on the ground, Kirara curled up next to him. Sango started to watch Inuyasha's pacing, and it started to irk her. Every so often, Inuyasha would stop his pacing and jumped up onto guard wall, and looked over. A few of the guards jumped in shock as they found the dog hanyou sitting next to them. But Inuyasha would only ignore them, and hold his claw above his eyes to look for any sight of Kagome. He sniffed the air. She was still in the village, but she had to be in excluded area. His ears twitched as he listened for her with his heightened senses. Then he caught the faint sounds of Kagome's voice. It was joined by Taji, which made his blood boil, Taro, and that Sakuya. He jumped down to the ground and continued to pace. Shippou opened one eye to watch him, but closed it and drifted off to sleep.

"WILL YOU STOP IT!" cried Sango, finally as the sun was setting. "You are so annoying when you do that!" Inuyasha snapped around towards Sango.

"What do you think I should do than?" asked Inuyasha. "While Kagome's with that samurai?"

"How about trusting Kagome?" suggested Shippou. Inuyasha rolled his eyes at the kitsune.

"Who asked you?"

"Are you worried that Taji is going to take Kagome's heart?" asked Sango. Inuyasha crossed his arms and planted himself into a sitting position. "Kagome loves you. Why would you worry?"

"And aren't you thinking about Miroku and Aiko?"

"Why shouldn't I? The girl's the Lord's only daughter. If Miroku does anything to her, Akiyama is going to be furious!" explained Sango. Inuyasha rolled his eyes, and then lied on his side, tapping his knee with his claws, his general nervous habit.

"I'm sure that's why you're worried," he mumbled. Sango's eyes narrowed into slits, but said nothing, and turned to watch the pathway towards the village. A few minutes later, as the sun was setting, a couple of people came across the path. Sango and Inuyasha turned to look who was coming their way. Miroku was walking aside of Aiko, who wasn't clutching onto his arm like she had done before. Sango's temper rose as accusations were being made inside of her head. The pair came over to the others.

"Well hello Sango. Inuyasha. Shippou. How has your day gone?" asked Miroku. Sango stood up and brushed herself off. Her gaze fell upon Aiko who was letting go of Miroku's arm, a delightful smile crossing her face. Sango's face burned with anger towards the village princess. Inuyasha and Shippou looked between the two and sighed.

"OK," said Shippou. "Where have you two been?"

"Hey guys!" shouted a voice from behind them all. They all turned around to see Kagome, Taji, Taro, and Sakuya coming towards them. Inuyasha growled when he saw Taji walking extremely close to Kagome, way too close for Inuyasha's comfort. Just then Akiyama came from the steps and watched as the two groups joined up.

"You are all just in time for our meal. Please, please come in!" said Akiyama. They all nodded and followed the elderly man into the house. The table was about ten feet long and two feet wide. It was filled completely with different meats and grains. Nine rice bowls were set out on the table. Two others were placed in the corner on the floor. They all could guess who was going to eat there. Inuyasha and Shippou continued to growl a bit under their breaths, saying how stupid and pointless this all was.

Everyone got underway with their meal, and minutes droned into hours. The food was slowly disappearing and everyone started to feel as if one more bite wouldn't make it down their throats. Kagome glanced back towards Inuyasha and Shippou. They had just as much food as she did, but she could see the look of hatred in Inuyasha's eyes. Shippou was too busy stuffing his face full of the rice and soup. Kagome sighed, and her eyes fell onto the untouched bowl of rice on the table. She looked around and mentally counted the people at the table.

"Pardon me, Lord Akiyama, but where's your youngest, Hiroki?" asked Kagome. Akiyama put down his chopsticks and glanced over at the empty spot. His brow furrowed and he narrowed his eyes a second.

"That would be a good question," stated Akiyama. "Has anyone seen him?" The group looked at each other and shook their heads.

"He was with us earlier," said Sango. "But he ran off."

"He does this occasionally, Father," said Taji.

"Yes, sometimes when we're with him, he randomly disappears," Taro inserted. Akiyama nodded. "He does come back on his own time."

Suddenly one of the guards came running into the room. Everyone's faces turned and were filled with surprise for the intrusion. Akiyama stood up, angered by this and demanded to know what was the meaning of this. The guards quickly bowed and lowered themselves to Akiyama.

"I'm terribly sorry, Lord Akiyama," said the one guard. "But heard cries throughout the village of a youkai just outside the borders."

"And that would inquire this intrusion?!" asked Akiyama.

"It was not just that, my Lord," said the second guard. "We did go as far as the edge of the forest, but we found this." The guard held up a simple rope necklace in his hands. On the middle of it was a jewel. Sakuya stood up at the sight of it. So did Kagome.

"That's a piece of the Shikon no Tama!" she cried.

"I gave that to Hiroki," Sakuya said. Akiyama's eyes opened wide and fear over came him.

"Go out and find my son!" he shouted. Sakuya ran towards the guard and snatched the necklace out of his hands. She was gone in a heart beat, quicker than anyone could bat an eye. Taro stood up.

"Sakuya!" But she was gone. Inuyasha stood up, and looked over towards Kagome.

"You coming?" Kagome nodded and turned towards Akiyama.

"We'll find your son." Kagome ran over towards Inuyasha and hopped on his back. Picking her up, they darted out of the house. Sango and Miroku followed them. Taro and Taji not far behind, leaving a worried Akiyama and Aiko. Kirara transformed when they made it out of the house and Sango, Miroku, and Shippou all hopped on and flew after them.

They ran out of the village and over towards the woods. They saw no sign of Sakuya throughout the village or as they entered the woods. Inuyasha could smell the youkai perfectly, along with Sakuya, and ran down the path towards them. Kagome could sense the jewel shard getting closer and closer.