InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Pride & Predjudice: A Sesshomaru Tale ❯ Under Rug Swept ( Chapter 4 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Chapter Four:
Under Rug Swept
 
Kagura saw the light of Sesshomaru's candle moving towards her. His pale features glowed in the tiny candlelight. He paused in front of her and took in her casual attire. He was wearing another white suit but without a tie. The diamond stud was gone.
 
        "You came." It was statement not a question.
       
"Kagome needed me." She glared at him than glanced away.
        He nodded and continued past her and left the room.
       
Kagura studied the glow of her cell phone for a few minutes and then the silence got the best of her. She turned to Inuyasha. "He's a regular Boo Radley. Is he always that talkative?”
       
Inuyasha, who was setting beside Kagome on the couch, glanced at something behind her. Kagura turned to see what he was looking at but saw nothing.
 
Inuyasha said, "For Sesshomaru that was almost a speech." He grinned mischievously. "I think he likes you."
       
Kagura twirled a lock of hair around her finger. "As if.”
       
"No really, you should see how he treats Kikyo."
       
Kagura commented, "Well I've seen how Kikyo treats him."
       
Kagome laughed, "Careful Kagura that almost sounded like you care."
       
Kagura hissed, "Can it! Now where are the drinks around here?" If she was going to be parted from her beloved solo strawberry margarita party then she was having a drink.
       
Inuyasha gestured towards the wet bar. Kagura should have been suspicious. Inuyasha had proved to be nothing but a gracious host and now he was indicating she was to make her own drink and in the dark no less.
 
The bar was in the corner. The room was so dark Kagura was barely able to see the counter. She stood and felt her way to the bar. She was reaching out feeling for a glass when she ran into something solid.
       
"May I pour you a drink?
       
Damnation. It was Sesshomaru. Kagura's face became heated. Why am I embarrassed? I don't care what he overheard. It wasn't anything compared to what he said about me and  besides if he's going to lurk about in dark coroners he deserves what he gets.
       
"How long have you been standing here?"
       
His tone was disinterested and flat. "Long enough."
       
"But I saw you leave?"
       
She could hear the superior smirk in his voice. "Obviously I came back"
       
Kagura couldn't argue with that so she shrugged. It wasn't as if she really cared what he thought. "Wild turkey then."
       
She heard the bottles clink together and the splash of pouring bourbon. He didn't comment on her selection. A moment later she felt him press a glass into her hand. "A chaser, perhaps?"
       
Well if he's offering.  "A diet coke please."
       
She heard him open the mini fridge and felt a small amount of its cool air escape. Inuyasha was right. The fridge still had power. Sesshomaru handed her a cold diet coke. Kagura looked up at his face. It was too dark to see his features but she felt his eyes on her. She held up the glass and drained it without flinching. It was an old trick she used back in college to impress her friends. And who knows? Maybe it would take the edge of an uncomfortable situation.
       
Kagura sat the glass down on the counter then reached for the unopened diet coke.
       
Sesshomaru commented casually. "Your eyes" 
She stopped in mid step.
       
"They were violet but in this light, they're crimson..." Kagura's ears burned.
       
"So?"
       
"It's interesting."
       
She licked her lips. "Well then I am glad you think so."
       
He leaned in closer. "I thought you were human."
 
She turned to face him and shot back. "I am. My eyes are a fluke, a genetic throw back to who knows when."
 
"Oh."
 
"Why do you even care?"
 
"I don't. It was an observation. "
 
"So is it your hobby to state the obvious or just a life long career?"
 
She thought she heard him smile. "My career is law. My hobby is my house."
 
Kagura almost fell over. He's stooped low enoughto tell me a little something about himself? He must've been drinking earlier. "What kind of hobby is a house?"
 
"I'm restoring an old family home in historic Charleston. Its slow going but well worth it. The place is an architectural gem."
 
She smiled in spite herself. "Makes ya glad Sherman made that detour to Columbia instead huh?"
 
"You've an odd turn of phrase."
 
"Sorry, whatever runs through my head tends to spill right out of mouth. It's a curse."
 
He drummed his long nails across the counter. "I can see that."
 
"So this house, how far along is it?"
 
His voice filled with pride. "It's near Rainbow Row. I had to make sure the foundation was stable. Now we are plastering and next week they will hang the hurricane shutters I picked out."
 
"Do those really work? The shutters?"
 
"Sometimes."
 
"Why are you investing so much to restore a house that you may lose in a hurricane?"
 
Sesshomaru circled her and she heard him pull out a bar stool. He offered it to her than seated himself. "Because sometimes great beauty is worth the risk. Besides I've excellent insurance."
 
Of course you do.
 
"Next month it should be completed and I will open it to the Tour of historical homes."
 
How kind of you. That's the only way I'll ever see it. Then Kagura gave in to the temptation to say what flowed through her head. "You won't mind that the tours will no doubt consist of dirty humans? Touching your possessions…"
 
"I don't know. Sometimes humans have their place."
 
"And that would be?"
 
His voice mellowed. "Wouldn't you like to know?"
 
The hairs on the back of her neck prickled and Kagura stood. "Excuse me for thinking we could have a decent conversation." She picked up her can of soda and carried it back towards the solitary leather recliner.  
 
Sesshomaru watched her leave. She already expects the worst so why not give it to her?  "Do you always leave when ever things aren't going your way?"
 
"No. But I prefer not to waste time on unpleasantness."
 
"Well then that appears to be something we can both agree on." He stepped into the fire light and Kagura saw his expression was flat. She felt as though she'd just been examined and found wanting.
 
"Enjoy the rest of your evening. I checked the weather when I stepped out and it appears you will have the unfortunate luck of spending tomorrow with us as well."
 
Kagura put her hand on her hip. “So is that an invitation?”

”Seeing how I don't want the gruesome task of scraping your remains of the icy drive, then yes it is."
 
Kagura wasn't too found of that vision herself. "Well then, I think I am ready for that room now if you don't mind."

Sesshomaru gave a slight chilly smile. Kagura was surprised she'd seen the faint movement of his lips. "As you wish".
He held open the double doors and motioned for her to accompany him. Kagura held her head high and followed him.

**********************************************************
Inuyasha and Kagome were seated facing the fire. They had their backs to the bar but his sharp ears caught the whole exchange.
Kagome studied the warm flames of the fire. "Maybe I should go with them?"
Inuyasha dismissed the idea. "Nah, Kagura's in good hands. He wouldn't pull any crap. He thinks he's above that."
"It wasn't Kagura I was worried about."
His brows jumped up and his face was lit by a big grin. "Think she could take him?"
"Verbally she could make him bleed. But I'm not so certain he has actual blood. Maybe ice water?" Kagome instantly regretted speaking negatively about his brother.
Inuyasha laughed. "His blood while bluer than mine still bleeds red. But this is remarkable."
"How so?"
"I don't know but it seems to me he finds her interesting."
Kagome asked, "How can you tell?"
"Because he came back; he hates stupid people and avoids us like the plague. He also told her about his precious house."
Kagome swatted his ears. "I don't think you're stupid."
He laughed and nuzzled her warm neck with his cold nose. "You're sweet. Too bad about your foot or I'd pounce on you."
She giggled and wound her arms around his neck.

*********************************************************
 
Sesshomaru guided Kagura through the darkened halls with the single flame of his candle. She pulled her sweater around her and watched their long shadows follow them down the hall.
"Wow, this is right out of Dickens isn't it?"
He answered without turning around. "I would have chosen Poe myself."
"Why? Do you have a still beating heart buried under you bed?"
He stopped and glanced at her over his shoulder. "You'd be surprised." Then he opened the door in front of them.
"This room has an adjoining door to the room next door. Your friend will stay there. I imagine you'd like to be close to someone you know when sleeping in a strange house."
"This isn't a house, it's a hotel. How can you feel at home in someplace so big?" Kagura's question was sincere.
"That is a good point. This is a hotel most of the time; I'm only here until my house in Charleston is complete."
Kagura nodded. "Inuyasha is very social. I don't know how he stands being surrounded by people all the time. He doesn't appear to get any peace.
Sesshomaru bowed his head slightly, “Not everyone values peace as they should. Some just thrive off noise."
He preceded her into the room and lit a few candles on the large bureau. The huge cherry bed had four posters and a canopy. Not a romantic one but a real European style canopy complete with heavy velvet black curtains. Kagura was taken aback. Who lives like this nowadays?
"Is the room to your liking?"
"Yes."
"Good, breakfast is at the ungodly late hour of 9." He plucked her cell phone from her hand and programmed a number into it. He tossed it back and she caught it.
"Should you need anything, call this number." He turned to leave.
Kagura's voice caught in her throat. "Sesshomaru-sama?"
He turned back and he gaze burned her face. "Thank you.”
He nodded and left.
I just threw down my pride and was civil and all he can do is walk away?She slumped against the door after she shut it behind her. Stuff him!
 
Kagura flipped open her cell to see what he'd typed. The small screen read: Sesshou cell. 704-555-9865
 
He gave me his cell phone number? She was split between infuriation over his obvious superiority complex and fascination.
 
How can one man think so highly of himself?
 
*******************************************************
Kagura woke to the sound of tapping. What the hell? She sat up and opened her eyes. Oh holy crap! I'm in a coffin?! She reached out her arm, touched the velvet bed drapes and remembered where she was. She pulled the curtains aside and padded barefoot on the wooden floor around the room trying to locate the source of the tapping.
 
She came to a thin panel and the tapping was louder. Okay if this is a ghost than it'd be better prepared to die a second death. Kagura pressed on the wood panel and it opened. Kagome stood on the other side.
 
“Check it out! Kinda like a secret passage.”
 
Kagura stuck her head through the door. “Looks like a hidden door. A passage would require an actually passage, like a hallway.”
 
Kagome frowned. “Had to rain on my parade didn't ya. But it's still pretty wicked.”
 
Kagura folded her arms across her chest. “Yeah it is, isn't it?”
 
The girls squealed and jumped around for a moment.
 
Kagura remembered whose house this was and shushed Kagome.
 
“Knock it off. I don't want to give that haughty Taiyokai elitist a reason to barge in here.”
 
“Oh you so over react, no one is coming in here.”
 
“Do you know where their rooms are?” hissed Kagura.
 
Kagome shook her head. “No, Inuyasha brought me here and left. I didn't exactly get the Grand Tour.”
 
Kagura yawned. “You mean he carried you to your room.”
 
Kagome looked away and even though it was dark Kagura knew she was blushing. “You are such a moop.”
 
“Am not.”
 
“Are too.”
 
Kagome stretched out her arms and spun around the dark room.
Kagura winced waiting for her to trip on her bandaged foot and break a limb. “Hey, your room is even cooler than mine.”
 
“Yeah?”
 
“You've got the killer canopy and all this dark gothic furniture.”
 
Kagura followed Kagome about the room. “Yeah I think Sesshomaru picked this room out on purpose or something.”
 
“What is going on between the two of you?” Kagome threw herself on the bed and her hair fanned out over the sheets.
 
Kagura sat at the head of the bed looking down on Kagome. “Not a damned thing.”
 
“If you say so.”
 
“Hey Kagome?” Kagura lay back on the pillows beside her.
 
“Yeah?”
 
“When Inuyasha dropped you off, did he tell you what to do if you needed anything?”
 
Kagome's eyes were closed. “Yeah, he said the butler's room is at the end of the hall.”
 
Kagura glanced at the bed side table and saw the soft blue glow of her cell phone. “Oh.”
**********************************************************
 
When Kagura opened her eyes it was daylight. She climbed over a snoring Kagome and walked to the window. The lake was a deep glacial blue and the ground was covered in a wonderful light dusting of white snow. It so rarely snowed in Charlotte North Carolina but when it did it always took her breath away. She breathed on the window pane and saw the ghost of her breath on the glass. Then she noticed the flash of the face of the digital clock. Power's back on!
 
Kagura slowly opened the door and almost careened into a maid balancing an almost impossible pile of white towels.
 
“Oh my God! Here let me help you with that.” Kagura took half the towels. The maid was a slight woman with short brown hair.
 
“Gimme those back!” She hissed. “All I need is for some youki to think I am not doing my job.”
 
Kagura's eye's narrowed. Who knew the heart of their hosts better than their servants? “Is Sesshomaru rude to you as well?”
 
The woman blinked. “No, I just don't believe in guests doing work. It's almost time for my raise and I don't want to take the chance of screwing it up. The Inu-yokai are very kind.”
 
Kagura was embarrassed. “Oh. I'm sorry.”
 
The woman smiled and leaned over her towels to shake a finger in Kagura's face. “You should be. You could do a lot worse than any of my employers.” Then she winked.
 
 
The maid was able to direct Kagura to the gym and provide her with clothing. If she didn't know better, Kagura could swear the maid had been sent to check on her.
 
Kagura was on the stair master with the stereo blasting. It felt good to work out without having to drive anywhere. Usually she and Kagome worked out in the gym at work. But it was a pain to do her hair after a work out and still make it to her desk on time. She heard the squeak of the door opening and turned her head.
 
Koga strode in with a towel over his arm in black shorts and a white sleeveless shirt. He started the treadmill and hopped on. Kagura was impressed with the speed he chose to start at.
 
“Good morning!” he called and his eyes strayed to her bare legs.
 
Kagura frowned. “Do you live here?”
 
He leaned over and turned down the stereo. “What?”
 
“I said do you live here too?”
 
He grinned as the tread mill picked up more speed. “Only on the weekends. So, did ya get snowed in here after the party?”
 
“Something like that.”
 
“Funny, I don't recall seeing you at the party.”
 
Kagura tossed her head. “I was a late arrival.”
 
“Ah.” He wiped his forehead with his towel. “Yet you were an important enough guest that you stayed in the house.”
 
“Huh?” She increased the intensity of the stair master.
 
“They could have put you in the guest house. It has its own generator and everything.” Koga wagged his eyebrows. “That's where I crashed. Usually only family stays in the house. It's a shame too cause it would've rocked to see you last night.”
 
“Hmm, Kagome's foot was injured and I guess they didn't want to risk her walking on the icy pavement.”
“Maybe but when Kikyo broke her leg while she was in Aspen she came back here to recuperate and Inuyasha made her stay in the guesthouse.”
 
Kagura grinned. Had it been her she would've made Kikyo stay in the highway. Speak of the devil and she will arrive…
 
The door opened and there stood Kikyo decked out in black spandex shorts and a red sports bra. Her hair was pulled into a high pony tail. Her eyes narrowed then she smiled.
 
Kagura saw her expression and wondered what she had in mind.
 
Kikyo strolled up to the stair master beside Kagura and climbed on. She turned her head. “Hello. I'm afraid I missed you at the party last night. Get snowed in?”
 
“Yeah.” Kagura turned her machine up another notch.
 
“That's a shame but I'm glad you were safe.”
 
Kagura nodded and kept moving on the machine.
 
“I hear you work at the bank?”
 
“Yes I am a broker.”
 
“Series 6 and 7 licenses?” asked Kikyo.
 
“And then some. Loans and large deposits too.”
 
“So…you probably know allot about the upper crust of this town then.”
 
Kagura shook her head. “I'm licensed all over the country and respect client confidentiality.”
 
“I heard you just did a mortgage for the District attorney of New York City?”
 
“Who told you that?” Kagura bit back her immediate anger.
 
Kikyo took a long drink of her water bottle. “He did. He said you did a wonderful job. Then he told me the story of how you couldn't deliver his closing papers because they were taping CSI in the lobby of his building and they banned you from the set.”
 
Kagura bit her lip. “I didn't know they would be filming and I was on a schedule. Actually it was kinda cool.”
 
Koga laughed, “I bet.”
 
Kikyo leaned her hands back and tightened her ponytail. “Ya know Kagura. We are having a girl's night at the Cheesecake Factory in the South Park mall Wednesday night. I'd be honored if you and Kagome would come out with us.”
 
Kagura resisted the urge to decline based on the foul company and fattening food. This was a challenge. She assumed the prize was Sesshomaru. She didn't want the prize but she sure as hell wasn't going to back down either. “Sounds great.”
 
Kikyo nodded. “We meet at eight sharp.”
 
Kagura smiled showing her teeth. “I wouldn't miss it”
 
 
Maybe if she were lucky she'd find out what kind of supernatural Kikyo was and where to mail the restraining order.
 
 
Sesshomaru sat beside a cool glass of green tea. The view on the security camera in the exercise room was especially interesting.
 
Koga nearly broke his neck on the tread mill because he was spending more time watching the two women than keeping up with the machine. Kikyo issued some kind of challenge. He didn't know what she said, the screen was too small for lip reading, but it didn't take much to see she was unhappy to find Kagura in the house and decided to act on it.
 
He watched Kagura on the stair master. There is more than meets the eye to this plain human woman.