InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Tenseiga ❯ It Will Kill Me In the End ( Chapter 18 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Just in case you didn't know, I don't own a damn thing…except every single original character in this story, a rabbit, and my computer…I think that's it. Review please. I need a little feedback. Thanks.

The elder watched her as she shaped the stones. They were all small enough to fit in the palm of her hand and each of a different animal. Eleven in all. She set them down with a soft sigh. She was tired and needed to rest.

"These friends of yours, what happened to their people? Why are you the only one helping them?"

"Their villages died without them there to protect them. Some were taken by rival tribes, some were washed away in storms. Plagues descended and the worst kind of luck rained down upon them. All because they did not have a shaman to protect them."

He nodded slowly. "And what will happen to us now that you have brought them here? Will my village die as well?"

"No, it will not. I will not allow it."

"You are so powerful?"

"I may not be, but I have powerful friends."

She rose and walked into the woods. There they stood waiting for her. She took each figure and suspended them from a leather thong, then she placed it around the necks of each animal. Once that was done she rocked back on her heals.

"These pendants serve two purposes. The first is that they will contain your animal forms and allow you to become human once more. The second is that they will allow you to become animal once more. If you do not wish this to happen, you may give them to me and I will destroy them, but think long and hard before you do so. I will not accept any of your pendants until you have had at least a day to think about this."

They all nodded and she closed her eyes, ready to begin the spell. "I think perhaps you will not be doing this."

Kagome turned and gaped at the elder. Behind him were the other warriors from the village, all fully armed. She growled softly and stepped back. "What are you doing here?"

"These have brought evil gods to their people and now you will bring them to us."

"Evil gods! You have no concept of evil! I have seen evil in this world. Watched as it tore apart people I loved! I have stared it in the face and rejoiced at its demise only to realize that evil cannot die. It cannot be defeated. It can only be contained."

"A pretty speech, but you are still a child. You have no concept of how the world works." He gave a signal to the others. "Kill her and the creatures."

"No!"

Kagome threw up her hands. She had to stop this. As silent as Death and as beautiful as an angel Sesshomaru appeared at her side. She watched the men step back in confusion. This creature was not human and it was obviously dangerous.

"Do what you must. Restore the balance in these lands. I will not let them pass."

"Please, don't kill them, they don't understand."

He glanced at her the corners of his mouth pulling toward a smile. "I will not kill them if you do not wish me to."

He turned his attention to the humans as Kagome turned to face the animals. She raised her hands and closed her eyes. Slowly the power gathered in the palms of her hands. She had decided that the best way to spread it was a song, after all they could all hear so the sound could carry the power into them. But how would the song go? What song would she use? She smiled slightly when it came to her.

All my bags are packed, I'm ready to go

I'm standing here outside your door

I hate to wake you up to say goodbye

But the dawn is breaking it's early morn

The taxi's waiting he's blowing his horn

Already I'm so lonesome I could die.

So kiss me and smile for me

Tell me that you'll wait for me

Hold me like you'll never let me go

Cause I'm leaving on a jet plane

Don't know when I'll be back again

Oh babe, I hate to go.

There's so many times I've let you down

So many times I've fooled around

But tell you now, they don't mean a thing

Every place I go I think of you

Every song I sing I sing for you

When I come back I'll wear your wedding ring.

So kiss me and smile for me

Tell me that you'll wait for me

Hold me like you'll never let me go

Cause I'm leaving on a jet plane

Don't know when I'll be back again

Oh babe, I hate to go.

Now the time has come to leave you

One more time oh let me kiss you

Close your eyes and I'll be on my way

Dream about the days to come

When I won't have to leave alone

About the times that I won't have to say:

Oh kiss me and smile for me

Tell me that you'll wait for me

Hold me like you'll never let me go

Cause I'm leaving on a jet plane

Don't know when I'll be back again

Oh babe, I hate to go.

But I'm Leaving on a jet plane,

Don't know when I'll be back again

Oh babe I hate to go.

But I'm leaving on a jet plane

Leaving on a jet plane

Leaving on a jet plane

She let the last note fade and opened her eyes. Before her stood eleven men and women of varying ages, wearing nothing but an animal pendant. She dropped her arms and fell down to her knees, a silly grin on her face.

"That worked well."

Neil knelt in front of her. "Are you all right?"

"I think so, just tired."

He glanced up at Sesshomaru. "We should take her someplace where we can camp for the night."

He nodded and threw one last glance at the elder before picking her up. "I can walk."

"Yes, but this will be faster."

He began to walk. The others followed, flowing around him through the forest, silent and swift. Kagome sighed as she watched them. "They belong here, in the wild."

"Yes they do."

They traveled almost a mile before David stopped them. Glancing around the grove, he nodded. "We should be safe here. How is she?"

"Asleep. She has been pushing herself too hard these last few weeks. If she keeps going, she will kill herself."

He sat with his back against a tree and watched them make camp. Carefully he removed his armor, then his outer haori. This he wrapped around her as he cradled her in his arms. Neil watched them carefully.

"You love her."

"Yes, I believe I do."

"She is sad, heart broken. She misses her children and I believe she misses you."

"I want to bring her home, but something always seems to happen. She is torn from me again and again." He looked into the eyes of the man who was not a man. "I think it will kill me in the end."

"I think it will kill her too." He looked down at the pendant. "She gave me back my human form, but I don't know if I want it. I rather liked being a wolf. Everything that tied me to my human form is gone. She is the only person I would ever consider serving and I can serve her best as a wolf."

Sesshomaru heard mutters of agreement from around the clearing. "We suspected as much, but as to following her, these people need your protection."

David sighed softly. "You are right. We guarded them as men, we must guard them as beasts."