InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Tenseiga ❯ No Tears From the Taiyoukai ( Chapter 19 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Kagome awoke to find her nose buried against Sesshomaru's chest. She sighed softly and closed her eyes again. She enjoyed just being held by him. This was something that had felt fundamentally wrong when Inuyasha and Hojo had done it. She wrapped her arms around him and snuggled closer. She heard him sigh and cracked an eye open. He was still asleep, his cheek resting on her head. She closed her eye and tried to find sleep again.

"You are awake, I can tell."

She blew out a deep breath. "No, I'm asleep. You're just dreaming."

He chuckled softly. "Hai, just a dream. That's why there's a knot digging into my back."

She jerked up. "Are you all right?"

He smiled at her. "I am fine."

She glanced at the others, some were awake and some asleep. "They look so wrong in this form."

"They have all decided to go back. They want to retain the power to shift, but they believe it is their duty to protect these people as best they can."

She smiled at them, leaning her head against his chest. "I'm proud of them."

"As well you should be."

"I want to go home."

"We will, once they have a chance to say goodbye."

She nodded and settled on his lap. He wrapped his arms around her gently and they watched as the rest of the camp awoke. One by one they came over to sit by her and Sesshomaru. At last David spoke.

"We are agreed. We will keep these talismans and use them and our animal forms to watch over our people. But we ask that you let one of us watch over you and your family."

"Who?"

Neil sat a little straighter. "I will. I ask that you let me protect your children, be they of your flesh or of your heart."

Kagome smiled at him. "I seem to have a knack for gathering wolves. I would be honored to have you watching over my family."

David rose. "Now that that is settled, we must bid you goodbye. This is not the end of your journey. We can all sense that."

Kagome felt Sesshomaru's arms tighten around her ever so slightly. "What do you mean?"

"We were shamans, Kagome. We can sense certain things. This power that has been moving you from place to place, keeping you from your family, it is not finished with you."

Kagome rose, Sesshomaru behind her. "Will I be attacked again?"

"We cannot see the future."

Kagome looked at Sesshomaru. She could sense the same panic she was feeling. What was going to happen this time to tear them apart? She threw her arms around him and he returned the embrace. She buried her face in his chest. Even as she did it she could feel the power of Tensiega pulsing. She closed her eyes.

"I love you."

"I know. I will find you again. I will bring you home with me."

She looked up at him. "I was never afraid of you. Not even the first time I saw you. It was never fear in my heart."

He touched her face gently, his own heart breaking though it shocked him how much it hurt. Even when Sakura had broken his mother and himself he had never imagined that it would hurt so. He held her closer, his mouth by her ear, speaking in a whisper so soft no other could hear it.

"I love you, Kagome, now and for always."

Even as he said it, Tenseiga pulsed and Kagome vanished from his arms. Sesshomaru felt his knees buckle. He landed hard, his head hung low.