InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Tenseiga ❯ Making the Best of A Bad Situation ( Chapter 20 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Kagome landed hard. Swearing softly under her breath she managed to struggle to her feet. She still wore Sesshomaru's haori in addition to the clothes Ratri had given her. She straitened her clothes and looked around. It was cold here, but not nearly as cold as the Northwest. She stripped off the haori and folded it neatly. She slipped it under her shirt and used the sash to secure it. Silk was rare and valuable. She didn't want anyone thinking they could take it and sell it. She gathered her bow and quiver and began to walk. After only a few minutes she emerged on a road. Fields stretched off around her. There was no place she could take shelter except in the irrigation ditches. Sighing softly she sat down at the edge of the small grove.

There were only a few places in the world that would have this level of agricultural advancement. So she was probably in Europe. She heard noises in the distance and slipped back into woods. A few minutes later a troop of mounted soldiers rode by. She frowned at the standard. The well dressed man in the immaculate and obviously unused armor was obviously a lord of some standing. She waited until they were passed before stepping out on the road and following them.

She walked slowly, taking in her surroundings as she went. It seemed as though the entire countryside was subdued. The air was thick with tension, as though at any moment a dragon might descend upon them. She slowed slightly when she saw a walled structure emerge from around a bend. The lord and his soldiers stood outside the walls. She approached slowly, listening intently when she was near enough.

"I demand to speak to the Mother Superior. I refuse to believe that Lady Claire would shun me so."

"I have given you the only answer I have been instructed to give. I am sorry that it does not please you my Lord."

"You will let me pass!"

Kagome slipped closer. As near as she could tell this was a convent. Her thoughts were confirmed when she was close enough to see that he was indeed speaking to a woman in a nun's habit.

"You would dare threaten this holy ground?"

"You cannot keep me from my bride!"

Kagome stepped out into the road and cleared her throat, getting all their attention. "Actually, according to Church law, if Lady Claire has claimed sanctuary within these walls she is under the protection of the church. Only an injunction from his holiness the Pope can revoke the right of sanctuary."

"And who are you?"

"I am nothing more than a weary traveler, hopeful that these kind women might be willing to shelter me for the night. Who are you?"

"Who am I?"

"Well if you don't know than how am I supposed to tell you?" Several of his men snickered softly. "Now if you are quite finished here, I would like to speak to her holiness."

"I am most certainly not!"

"Oh, then you have more questions about the laws regarding sanctuary?"

"No…"

"Then your business is finished. Step aside."

Several of the soldiers moved aside, obviously responding to the authority in her voice. "I will not bow to some…some woman!"

"I assume that includes your Queen?"

"Well…um…well…"

"As I thought." She walked past them to the gate and gave the nun a slight bow. "As to my request?"

"You are most welcome, my dear. Please come inside."

Kagome stepped within the gates and heard them being firmly closed behind her. The sister guided her to a low building attached. She was guided into a small office where the Mother Superior sat. The sister smiled and bobbed a slight curtsey before being waved out.

"I saw what you did for us. I thank you."

"It was nothing."

"You got on the wrong side Lord Jean for us. I think that is something. You may stay here as long as you wish, though your weapon is not welcome."

She touched her bow. "I suppose I can put it up for a time. I have found it is necessary."

"For soldiers?"

"Demons mostly. I have had very little need to use it against men."

The old woman nodded slightly. She called for another sister to lead her to her room. Kagome leaned her bow against the wall and set the quiver down beside it. This was not the ideal place she wanted to stay. In fact if she had a choice she would be home. Silently she ordered the fleas out of the bed before sitting down and leaning back against the wall. Tears slipped down her face as she pulled Sesshomaru's haori out and buried her face in it. His scent surrounded her as she cried herself to sleep.