InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Offering ❯ Attempted ( Chapter 4 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Megan Consoer:
Megan, don’t be so offended! I hate you, yes, and I hate unreasonably sometimes, but now I KNOW you’re capable of more than “I like this story a lot, can you please write some more chapters?” If you review right, I won’t mind your reviews. I won’t like you, I can never like you, I hate you, in fact, I REALLY hate you. Still, if you like my stories and can tolerate my hatred, all the better for you. =^-^=

CHAPTER 4

The gardens were beautiful, and huge. Looking from the outside, no one would have guessed that this place was massive enough to hold these gardens...

A light source was not apparent, she couldn't tell where the light was coming from, because it seemed as though it was coming from everywhere all at once. Lighting up the many trees, flowers, and the maze's entrance, a maze made entirely from bushes, but she didn't think she wanted to try and find her way through... If Sesshoumaru had something like this in his palace, she didn't doubt he might have a half-man half-bull thing in the maze just waiting on her to innocently wander.

"Come, sit with me, and we will watch the child." Kyoko said and gently took hold of Kagome's shoulder, directing her to a set of bench-like stones towards the mid left section of the gardens.

He wasn't so bad, he was guiding her gently, not forcing her over, and he spoke softly too. Well, she couldn't say he wasn't a pervert, but at least he was a nice pervert, almost like Miroku, only she didn‘t feel so uncomfortable with Miroku, as she most certainly did with Kyoko.

Kagome sat down, and put the child onto the floor, he happily began to crawl after a small butterfly, another thing she found odd about the place. Still, it was amusing watching him chase after the butterfly, getting on his feet once even, but not managing to take a full step. Poor boy couldn't figure out what to do when the thing flew too high for him to reach.

"Such a delightful sound." Kyoko commented, this brought her back into reality, she, it took a second to register what he’d said, and she turned to him with a slightly confused look on her face, she hadn‘t heard anything. "That sound you were just making, like small bells."

It took her a moment to realize that she had been giggling. Sesshoumaru's son's antics had made her giggle, but she hadn't realized it until after Kyoko mentioned it. She wondered briefly about just how often she did that, thought about something, then said something out loud, or did something foolish without realizing it, but people didn’t often comment on it, so she couldn’t be sure if this was a one time thing... God how embarrassing if she spoke out loud when she thought! People would think her completely mad!

"So, why are you here?" he asked her, "I know you are taking care of Sesshoumaru's son, but that seems strange to me. He already has twelve women taking care of him at any given time, plus a wet nurse."

"Twelve?" she asked remembering the women she had seen before, "I only counted ten."

"Yes, two of them are asleep right now, they take over when the others sleep." he nodded. "Still, it seems odd to me, just why you are here."

Kagome shrugged, "His brother gave me to him. I was travelling with Inuyasha, and I guess Inuyasha decided I could be what was given to Sesshoumaru."

Kyoko tensed slightly, but only barely. "So, you were a gift to Sesshoumaru? Are you his brother's mate?"

Kagome shook her head, not truly understanding the tense tone he was using with her. Still, he had the urge to make him understand, she didn‘t like people being displeased with her. "No. I'm just a... Travelling companion?" she shrugged, "Nothing as intimate as all that."

This didn't seem to relax him much. "If you are not his mate, then why would you travel with him? Unless you are... There for other purposes."

This man didn't think about anything but sex did he? She tried to put him in the same category as Miroku, but... There was something she didn’t like about him and that was something strange to her. She never hated without reason.

"I um... Well... We are searching for something..." she groped for the answer and knew it was lame and insufficient before it finished leaving her mouth. To say nothing about the still tense look on Kyoko’s face.

"What could you be searching for, that would take you away from your home, and put you into the possession of any male, that would not be your mate? Or your..." Kyoko was getting really pissed now, she couldn't understand why though, she didn't want to tell him the truth... But it seemed as though her hands were tied. She should have known she couldn’t get by with half-truths, she was an abysmal liar, and had been such her entire life.

Unfortunately, the truth was far too embarrassing to just shout out to the wind. She felt horrible for what she’d done, and she felt even worse when people found out that it was she who had done it. Damn it all, people gave her some of the most horrid looks when they found out!

"Fine, fine." she sighed resigned, "I was the miko that broke the Shikon No Tama. I am travelling with Inuyasha to collect the shards and fix it."

"You are the miko of the Shikon?" His sharp tone made her wince, until he suddenly relaxed, and then even laughed. The laughter was something strange, she certainly hadn’t expected this reaction. Maybe he thought her foolish, stupid even, but at least he wasn’t giving her the look of hatred she’d grown accustomed to.

"I knew there was something odd about you. Still, this was unexpected. Tell me, how did you come across the jewel?" he smirked at her, "What's more, how did you resist its corruption?"

Kagome blinked, he didn't seem to think her breaking the jewel a bad thing at all... But how to explain how she had gotten the jewel? "Well... I didn't really find it... Uh... I just... Well I was born with it, I guess. Lady Centipede tore it from my body only about seven months ago."

Kyoko grabbed Kagome's hand and stood, pulling her up into standing as well. His expression was quite suddenly serious, and that was almost annoying to her. She’d felt hope that he’d not hate her, but the look he was giving her chilled her to the bone. Of course, how could she expect him to like her, when she wanted to be as far from him as possible?

"You can not be serious?" he asked her, his tone hushed and slightly hurried, as though he needed to know what she was going to say, "There is no way any human could've survived with the jewel in them so long, and those that may have would have succumbed to its corruption." he shook his head, she could feel that he believed what he said to be the absolute truth in the matter. "No, it can not be that you were born with it in you."

Kagome’s frustration was growing as she shook her head. He was going to make her repeat her story once more, and probably again after that. People did that a lot when she told them these things. Their reaction wasn’t as strange as Kyoko’s though, he seemed to find it funny, then was so serious it was nearly frightening to her. "No, I really was born with it. I never knew about it until Lady Centipede-"

Her sentence was cut violently short when Kyoko leaned forward and kissed her.

At first she couldn't even breathe, he had surprised her just that much, and especially when his tongue had already moved to be inside her mouth. He’d not wasted a second. Taking full advantage of her open mouth. Almost as though he’d been waiting for the opportunity.

She was suddenly very, very angry. But her shock hadn’t fully worn off. As soon as she could though, she tried to pull away from him, but he put one hand on her lower back, and one behind her head. Her energy was being sucked away, she realized, he wasn't kissing her just to enjoy kissing, he was tasting her power, somehow he could do that.

Suddenly she felt a thrill of this strange frightened feeling pass through her when her body suddenly went lax against him. Her will was leaving her bones as her power was pulled from her.

It was strange, like an itch you couldn’t reach, but it was mostly cold, she felt cold all over, but her body did not shiver. She couldn’t explain this cold easily, and would never truly try, for that’s all she could think of, was cold. Almost as though she was dead and the last of her life’s warmth was drained from her, like she was in the coldest of places but her body would not react. Or, even like she was frozen in a lake that was now completely solid. She could feel nothing more than this unexplained cold.

Finally, and gratefully he pulled away, and starred down at her, seemingly in disbelief. "You were not lying. I've never tasted such power." he let her go, steadying her on her feet while licking his lips. "I am sorry, but it was the only way to know for sure if you were telling the truth or not."

Kagome stood panting, "Well don't do it again." she half growled, as he body began to recover from the odd experience. She never wanted to feel that again, not ever.

"What kind of nerve! Grabbing a random woman and kissing her to "test" her powers... How rude!" she turned her back to him and scanned the area for Sesshoumaru's son. He was busy pulling at some vines, looked almost as though he was trying to climb them. It was a good distraction. She now knew she’d be asking Sesshoumaru to switch her guard, though she wasn’t at all sure he’d comply with her wishes, she knew she simply had to try.

Kyoko grabbed her shoulders suddenly and forced her to turn back to face him. "If you would prefer I kiss you for other reasons, then I will gladly oblige."

He was about to kiss her again, she knew but thankfully his grip on her was relatively loose, also her body was almost completely normal now, as if he hadn’t even done what he had. She ducked away from him easily enough. "I would prefer that you don't touch me anymore." she spat vehemently at him before turning and walking away from him.

The boy had successfully pulled most of his upper body off the ground now, and Kagome found that as a decent excuse to get away from this man, this Kyoko.

"Now, now, you can't climb on those things, they won't hold you forever." she chastised, pulling the boy against her chest. He was such a sweet relief from Kyoko, and she felt her anger drain away when he giggled and began to reach for her hair. Children’s attention spans were short, and they weren’t capable of dwelling on things.

Kyoko was growling, she could hear it distinctly. A strange sort of fear replaced the melancholy she’d just been experiencing. That growl was a dangerous one, she didn’t know how she knew, but she did, and the fear-like panic that settled in her chest prompted this knowledge.

Quickly she turned her attention back to him, and just in time to dodge him, too. He had lunged at her, really, trying to pounce on her almost. The anger she caught briefly on his face was a deep one. It resembled hatred, actually, though she knew it wasn’t directed at her... She felt almost as though Kyoko had centred that hate gaze directly on the child.

That didn‘t make sense to her, and she shrieked when he turned from his crouching position on the ground to glare daggers at her. "What are you doing?!" she demanded and walked backwards away from him, realising that she had made a mistake in turning her back to him in the first place. She was too damn trusting, and she knew it, but couldn’t help it, that’s why she needed protectors, at least, that was partially why she needed protectors.

"You want to act like a bitch I will treat you like one." his voice cut the air like liquid steel before he growled at her. "You won't come to me willingly, I'll force you."

Kagome felt sick suddenly, and her body was nearly numb. Before she knew it, she was running full force into the maze, and Kyoko was growling behind her, "You can not hide from me." Her shock was firmly in place, but at least she’d be grateful that she could still function enough to keep her and the child somewhat safe.

Maybe he was right, she doubted she could hide from him. Not for very long anyway, but she'd sure as hell try.

Tucking the child's head against her shoulder she began to turn and run through the maze, her heart in her throat and her senses tingling. He was too close she felt as though he was surrounding her. Maybe it was a part of her shock, but the look of anger on his face, and the promise in his voice...

She knew he meant it, and in her panic she felt as if he was too close and he was going to rape her, god! He was everywhere, and he planned on raping her! What had happened? How had he gone from being such a sweet, nice guy, (if creepy) into this?

She nearly slipped on the grass as she turned the fiftieth corner, "Get back here bitch!" she heard, but the sound was far away. There was a brief flaring of hope in her chest, but it was very, very brief. She felt him moving towards her, and realized that she had only been panicking before. For some reason or another, he was for a while, very far away from her. Now though, he was moving towards her again.

She took a hard left, and then the maze took her where it wanted, There were no more options now. The maze had no more openings, it just turned in and of itself. Another right, a left and another right, then a left again, before she faced a dead end.

Her heart in her throat she turned around, expecting to find Kyoko either charging towards her angrily, or walking slowly up to her, probably amused at her human's efforts to escape him. She pictured him grabbing her, tearing the child from her arms, possibly even hurting the child, before reaching her. This she imagined in the less than single second it took her to turn around.

What she saw instead was a welcome relief. Kyoko hadn't found her. She could only see the bushes, to her right, to her left, behind and in front of her, this was a virtual box.

But... He could jump over these bushes, probably, he could tear through them, destroy them all systematically until he found her, couldn't he?

"Onna!" she heard his voice call angrily, "You had to go and put that shield up didn't you? But fortunately I've made it past there, you are defenceless in that maze! No miko shield can keep me out!" he was laughing she heard, the laugh of a man gone completely mad. It chilled her to think that whoever could produce that laugh was after her.

"When I find you, I'm going to kill that brat, I'll tell Sesshoumaru that you did it, out of spite towards him. I didn't realize what was happening until after you'd come out of the maze, a bloody and torn child in your arms." he laughed that crazed and near murderous laugh again.

Kagome's heart stopped in her chest for a long second then she looked down at the baby. He didn't seem to understand what was going on, he was just smiling the way small children did, and wiggling because he wanted down, so he could crawl on his own.

"Stupid brat has everyone on edge! Sesshoumaru shouldn't have had an heir so soon, he should've waited three or four hundred more years, but instead he puts a babe inside a beautiful, previously innocent young woman, and the babe tears her up so bad she dies!" he bellowed, from somewhere to the far left of her.

"I loved her, you know, Kimiko was such a gentle spirit, but when the Lord took interest in her, there was no more for it, she was his until he got tired of bedding her. When she got pregnant..." Kagome heard him growling, his voice going to somewhere behind her, "I knew I'd never have her again, Sesshoumaru wouldn't claim her as his mate, but he sure as hell wouldn't let someone else put a babe in that belly. I am, at times, glad that she is dead, so that she wouldn't have to live a mate-less life."

Kagome held the child really close now, he was making slight noises, and to her they boomed in her ears. If Kyoko wasn't himself shouting, surely he would hear the babe, a babe who though completely innocent, would end up at the other side of this man's fury...

"I tried to be nice to you, didn't I? I tried and you acted foolishly, now I have to rape you, and kill the child while still making it look as though you are at fault! But it doesn't matter, when I tell Sesshoumaru something, anything, he'll believe me over you, for you are only a human, after all."

The small boy was wiggling frantically now, but Kagome was too afraid for him to even loosen her hold on him. "Shh..." she whispered as low as she could, "He'll hear you and kill you... You are still too small to even fight back."

Why did people try to kill children? Children, who had done nothing wrong, children who only gooed and gaaed until someone smiled at them then they giggled until they were too hungry and began to cry. Why would someone hold a grudge against such an innocent being?

"Where ARE you woman? I can feel your energy on these walls but it's even! How can you hide so well? Someone trained you tirelessly, I would guess, but even that won't keep me from you, I have some charms, you know, to keep your powers in check."

Kagome wanted to cry. Him raping her, though terrible in and of itself, would've seemed so much less if he didn't want to harm this babe! What was he talking about anyway? Charms to keep her power in check? He didn't need any charms, all he'd have to do would be to keep her arrows out of arm's length.

The little devil did get out of her arms, but she figured, as long as he stayed close to her it'd be alright, at least this way he was quiet.

"I want to taste your blood..." he was close now, way too close. "I wonder what it'll taste like, and, when I breach you I want to lick the blood clean. I want to taste your essence, and your blood all at once. The way only a man taking a virgin can." he laughed, "I will taste that blood! While that child lies dead only feet from your hands, you will cry and I will taste you!"

Kagome's heart had stopped dead in her chest. Someone was coming closer, she could feel it. Someone angry, and moving quickly. She felt the power in that anger, and in this person’s approach. For a brief moment she was more frightened than before, but realized that whoever was coming, couldn’t be interested in her. Kyoko was the mad one, she had to force her panic down.

"You will not."

A cold voice cut through Kyoko's speech, and soon the sound of screaming reached her ears. A bloody scream, one sounding choked, as though someone was chocking on their own blood.

It made her stomach turn, and she nearly hurled, because for a small moment she had seen Kyoko’s dying eyes, she saw a clawed hand embedded in this man’s stomach, deep, as blood came from his mouth. She saw as this clawed hand pulled away and began tearing into Kyoko’s flesh, almost punching him. She saw as this clawed hand reached in and pulled Kyoko’s barely beating heart from his body. She saw him fall. She saw him die. She saw more than she thought she could ever handle. She saw a cruel gleam in the predator’s eyes, before her vision cleared.

For a long moment, there was pure silence, and Kagome‘s battered breath was all that was heard. No more screaming, no more laughing, and, as far as she could tell, no one else’s breathing.

"Miko." A monotonous voice said, cool and quiet, just barely loud enough for her to hear him. "Come out, now."

Kagome wanted to say "No." she wanted to desperately, but she couldn't even move. Sesshoumaru had just killed Kyoko, she didn't doubt that one little bit, though she couldn’t believe the small glimpse of a vision she saw had been true. Still, Sesshoumaru would have killed him, and now he was here, and he'd probably kill her, if just because she'd almost failed in protecting his child.

"Miko," he said again, "My patience grows thin. Come out. Now."

Her body had grown roots. It must have. Sesshoumaru was moving again, and she didn't know why she knew it, but she could tell that he was moving. With each second he was moving closer to her, close to killing her, or torturing her, and she could do absolutely nothing about it.

Sesshoumaru's son clawed at her socks, and cooed slightly. She could almost feel that he was saying things would be okay, his daddy was here now. The innocent trust of children never surprised her, but she couldn’t really think on it just now.

And, as her fear had escalated, he was there. Sesshoumaru was standing no more than a meter away from her, looking down at her as she kept her back against the bushes.

His eyes turned temporarily to his son, then back on her. "Miko, you protected my son, correct?"

Kagome nodded, her fear was lessening, for some reason, just barely though. A statement like that one wouldn't leave him any reason to kill her, would it? Still, it was Sesshoumaru.

"You ran from Kyoko, who would have raped you and killed my son, correct?"

Kagome nodded again, not understanding how he knew so much so well. He'd only come in at the tail end of the... Incident. It didn't make sense but now she was feeling a rush of relief and her fear, though in the back of her mind, was lessened significantly.

"Come." he said, turning his back to her, "Bring my son with you."

Sesshoumaru was proud of her, he truly was. Most women, even miko women, would have fallen prey to Kyoko, who even now was rotting away in his poison. Still, he hadn’t considered once that Kyoko would betray him in this manner.

This was very disturbing indeed, to know that someone who could betray him in such a fashion had lived in his home while he’d been completely unknowing. He’d have to take more care with those who served in his house, choosing more carefully, and keeping a closer eye on everyone and everything.

That Kyoko, one of his leading men, would do something like this was not something he could take lightly.

He had seen everything, through the eyes of his son. Heard everything through his son’s ears. It was a magic that soon the child would loose, once he learned to walk, until then, whenever danger was around, Sesshoumaru would know of it, and he’d see, and hear everything clearly.

Now though, he was slightly frustrated. He’d been about to fuck one of his wenches for the second time that hour, when his son had interrupted him.

He turned and passed the rotting corpse that was Kyoko, when he felt Kagome stop behind him. For anyone else, he’d have continued walking on, but...

She was probably starring at the body, and her fear reached his senses soon enough. It would not be wise to leave her to stare at this body long. She was probably in some mild state of shock, and would need a moment to recover, probably a night’s rest would help her. After all, she had seen death before, she must have. “Come,” he ordered again, continuing forward, and she scrambled to catch up with him.

It looked as though his plans were going to be seriously and most unpleasantly delayed.


~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

If that Meagan still is out there haunting the grounds of fanfiction with her stupidity, then I will continue nothing. But since I’ve begun updating my stories again she has not appeared. This, I must tell you, is quite a relief.