InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Offering ❯ That's Odd ( Chapter 3 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Megan Consoer, GO AWAY:
My hatred for her stems from the fact that she repeatedly reviews the same thing, over and over again, and beyond that, she does it repeatedly for the same chapter. I know this because she’s reviewed more than one story of mine, and, if I review someone on Mediaminer.org, I see hers there as well, the same thing, over and over again, and she has no standards for writing, she sometimes reviews some of the most horrific fanfictions that have ever been! What worth is her review?



CHAPTER 3

Kagome was eating a bit of some kind of bird, the cook, an elderly man, standing not far off, and a young woman sitting right next to her, Sesshoumaru's child happily eating his dinner.

"You say Lord Sesshoumaru allows you anything you want from my kitchen?" the cook asked again, he was a youkai, she noted, the woman sitting next to her though, she was hanyou. Odd really, she hadn't expected to see a hanyou in the palace, much less a hanyou feeding Sesshoumaru's child.

"Yes, I've said so several times, what is so strange about that?" Kagome asked with a sigh, the two others seemed similar to each other, probably related some way. The woman wasn't speaking to Kagome, hadn't said a word, actually, but the man just wouldn't shut up.

"Tell her what's so strange about that Kianna." the old man said gesturing to the girl, "Oh, and by the way she is my daughter, a shy creature really, but well mannered enough to live in the palace. Sesshoumaru overlooked her being a hanyou even!"

Oh, so that was the connection.

Kianna looked at Kagome directly, she was rather pretty, but too soft, her expression too weak and vulnerable, if she had a husband (or whatever youkai considered husbands) he was probably very dominating, someone who pushed her whenever he felt it necessary and she didn't even try and push back.

"Lord Sesshoumaru," she said in a voice as weak as her face, "does not allow anyone to eat their fill. Everyone has a certain amount they are permitted a day, none are considered above this."

Kagome stopped, about to take another piece of the bird into her mouth, "But what about his son's mother? Before he was born?"

Kianna shook her head slowly, "No, she was not either. The amount of food she was allotted was increased, yes. Still though, she would have asked for more if she dared. It is a law, one of many placed within this household, only the Lord himself is above this."

Kagome blinked in confusion, something that must have shown clearly on her face because the old man asked again, "Now are you sure he said you could 'eat your fill'?"

Thinking back she could distinctly remember Sesshoumaru's voice, and yes, that's what he had said. "Yes, I'm sure, but maybe it is because I am a gift?" Kagome suggested, "I was given to him by his brother, could that have anything to do with it?"

Kianna shook her head again, "No, it is not so, Sesshoumaru regards any human as a hassle, generally, he feeds them far less."

Kagome put her finger to her chin. "Or could it be because I am here temporarily? Only two weeks."

Kianna's eyes went wide. "I am surprised he permits you to eat at all, if that's only as long as you are staying."

This was ridiculous, there was no way Sesshoumaru was that cruel to those inside his own home.

Luckily the boy had finished with his nurse maid and detached himself from her breast.

"Here, I only feed him, no more." Kianna said handing the child back to Kagome. "I have a son of my own, you know, just a little older than this boy. It's why Sesshoumaru found me, I was trying to wean my own son. He offered to allow me a place in the palace with my father, and I could bring my mate with me. I didn't want to go, but my mate could hardly wait for the chance to live within his Lord's home. He told me later that he no longer regretted taking a hanyou as a mate." Kianna shrugged, "He was a powerful youkai, and when he took me as his mate it left barely a stain on his reputation, but that stain was "erased" in a way, when he got the chance to live here."

Kagome understood, if only barely. She accepted Sesshoumaru's son into her arms, but then put him on the ground, watching him crawl around. He found the hem of the old man's kimono and tugged on it, hard enough to rip it a bit.

"Gah!" the old man grumbled pulling his kimono away from the child. "That's the fifth time that's happened this week! My daughter's son and now Lord Sesshoumaru's! Such is the luck of an old man."

Kagome giggled. "Do you know of anywhere in this palace where he can play?" she asked Kianna, who had already chosen to stop talking, her face was set firm.

"Yes," she said after a moment, "The gardens, they are indoor gardens, I know not how Sesshoumaru keeps the plants and flowers alive." she sighed, "Please, if you run into my mate mention not that we've spoken, he does not like me to associate with humans."

"What is your mate's name?" Kagome asked as she picked up the squirming little boy.

"Oron, he's tall and... Well you should know him when you meet him." she stood then, bowed and exited the room swiftly, almost as though she was afraid she'd get in trouble.

"You must forgive her," the old man said turning back to the food he'd been chopping and stirring since Kagome'd been here, "Her mate is a harsh man, he doesn't like humans, but for some reason when he saw my little Kianna he had to have her as his mate." he shook his head, "He loves her, I think, but hates what she is."

"Must be hard..." Kagome said and couldn't help but think of Inuyasha. What would have happened, had he lived with Sesshoumaru instead of his mother? Would Sesshoumaru have accepted him, eventually, and would he have had a youkai mate? One that loved him, as deeply as Kagome thought she loved him, but one that also hated what he was, as much as the youkai in him frightened herself?

It must be hard for him, she thought, living everyday with both races disliking him. One race hating his mother, the other hating his father, but both hating him.

"It is, but she's lived with hatred all her life, and sometimes I regret finding that woman, her mother. I regret that I took her, and I regret that I did not kill her before Kianna was born. It would have saved them both so much grief, if adding to my own." he shook his head, "Still, sometimes when Kianna smiles, or laughs, I am glad, and when she holds her son, I feel only joy."

Kagome smiled a half smile that she couldn't hide. "A father's love knows no bounds?" she asked, grabbing hold of Sesshoumaru's son, who had decided he liked her socks just a little too much for her taste. It wasn't as though she had another pair with her.

The old man nodded, "Yes, well," he shook his head, "You had best get that boy to the gardens, where all he'll be hurting is some flowers and such."

Kagome smiled and stood, "How do I get there from here?"

The old man tilted his head to the screen door, "Go out that door, then turn right down the hallway, at the end of the hall, a left, and then it's the only door in front of you after that." he sighed, "That hallway has several doors, but what I mean is it's the very last one."

Kagome nodded, right, left last. Okay. "Alright," she bowed as much as she could with the boy in her arms, "Thank you."

He returned her slight bow, "You are welcome, and I do hope you and Kianna do become friends, though her mate might not approve. I still wish it."

She smiled and left, not bothering with the normal Japanese traditions, Kianna hadn't so she figured some of the formality was removed from this world of Sesshoumaru's.

"Ga, ga goggla..." Sesshoumaru's son cooed from her arms, again finding his amusement in pulling her hair. Kagome hissed and pulled her hair away again, this boy was really into pulling hair, she pitied any girl that caught his eye when he started to get a bit older.

"You can't keep pulling people's hair," she scolded him lightly, he didn't seem to get it and instead continued to coo. She sighed, "Any older and you'd be pulling that hair right out of my head, you know?"

"A human girl, talking to a baby?" Someone said from just in front of her.

Kagome stopped walking, realizing she had been so focused on the child that she hadn't been watching where she was going. She had almost run head-on into the man in front of her.

Blushing she looked up, into eyes greener than any plant she had ever seen, and hair long and dark brown, pulled back into a low pony-tail. He was obviously a member of Sesshoumaru's army, he was standing before her, dressed in full armor, armor that was both white, and red, two shoulder guards that had spikes attached to them, making his shoulders weapons as much as any sword.

"You are the human girl Sesshoumaru has spoken of?" he asked, not stepping back at all. "Odd, he didn't tell me you were so pretty, just that you were dressed in odd clothes." he tilted his head to the side, "And indeed your clothes are strange."

Kagome didn't like the way that man was looking at her... "Yeah, um... I'm not from this... area..." she hesitated, unsure of what to say. "I uh... Live somewhere far away..."

The man shook his head, smirking down at her. "No need for you to explain, I am Kyoko, and your name?"

Kagome sighed audibly. "Yeah, hello Kyoko, I am Hi- I am Kagome." She had completely forgotten that in this time people had no last names, she couldn't very well introduce herself as Higurashi Kagome, humans didn't do that yet. Or at least, humans in Japan didn't, only nobles and such had last names, nobles and samurai, that sort of thing.

"Very well, Kagome." he scrunched his nose up slightly. "You smell... Odd." he said in a rather off handed tone.

"I do not stink." she said her pride prickling at the back of her mind. "I don't stink at all."

Kyoko smirked again, "I said you smelled odd." he repeated, "But not odd in a bad way, on the contrary, you smell delightful."

Kagome blinked, deciding now would be the time to leave this man, "I um... have to go," she said bowing slightly, "So if you'll excuse me..?"

She tried to move past him, but he put an arm in her way. "No need for such hastiness, I was assigned to you by Lord Sesshoumaru, so to keep an eye on you." he smirked, "I might use more than one."

Kagome blushed, what was wrong with this guy? Did he just decide to forget that she was human or what? "Um, well, we're going to the gardens, the one's inside, so that Sesshoumaru's son could play around without ripping kimonos or socks."

Kyoko nodded, "An excellent idea, follow me, I'll take you right there."

He turned, and began walking, Kagome had no choice but to follow him. So Sesshoumaru had assigned a guard to her, what was that guy thinking?! Did he expect her to just run off with his kid, and hold it for ransom or something?! And what was the whole giving her to this guy, who was obviously a pervert?

Well, once the four hours were up she'd have a lot to say to that guy, a whole hell of a lot if this guy's manners didn't change. Of course he slowed down some, walking just slow enough that she was right beside him, there must've been something wrong in his head, there was no way any youkai male would be that interested in a human female.

But then again... There were an awful lot of hanyous that she knew of...

Today was going to be a long day.