InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Phoenix Blade: Time Lapse ❯ Entanglements ( Chapter 9 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: The InuCru and the basic storyline are all the property of Rumiko Takahashi…and I give a banzai for her imagination every day!
 
A/N: Gaaah! The plot bunnies were proliferating like mad this week…had to grab `em while I could to set up the next few chapters…
 
Lemon fluff coming up, and of course, the usual OOC…
 
The Phoenix Blade: Time Lapse
Chapter Nine: Entanglements
 
Present Time
 
It was early in the morning, a lovely, soft summer dawn. All was still in the Higurashi household as the birds trilled their morning songs…except in the room of a certain Celestial Bodyguard-turned-shard-hunter. She was peering out her window, scanning the Goshinboku for a tell-tale flash of red that told her Inuyasha was in the vicinity. Pulling on a pair of sneakers, wearing her sleep tank and shorts, she slipped downstairs, and hesitated in the foyer of her house, chewing her lip. Cracking the door open, she looked carefully around the courtyard, before scooting across in a straight line for the shed.
 
Inuyasha was perched in a tree; but it wasn't the Goshinboku, and nor was it the cocky pup who had yet to mate Kagome. This Inuyasha had been up pacing all night, knowing that she had faced down Sesshomaru. She survived; he knew that, but still he'd been unable to settle. Finally, he'd arrived in the pre-dawn darkness, and taken up position where he could see her, just to reassure himself that she was in one piece.
 
Dammit, she certainly was, and a very spectacular piece at that. He couldn't take his eyes off her; those shorts only emphasized her long legs, and that skimpy top barely contained her breasts. Her nipples were hard, from excitement or the cool morning air, he wasn't sure, and quite frankly, didn't care.
 
Glancing over her shoulder, she unlocked the shed door, and disappeared inside. Damn. He dropped to the ground, circling to the far side of the small building to cautiously peek in the grimy window.
 
She was crouching by the bike, her back to the window. The waistband of her shorts had dipped down, showing the two sweet dimples bookending the base of her spine. He remembered tracing those with his tongue, her shivering response, and licked his lips at the memory.
 
Kagome was tracing the outline of the graphic on the gas tank of her motorcycle, the snarling demonic dog lunging, claws outstretched, at an unseen enemy. Inuyasha smirked. He'd insisted on that graphic, because then any demon who saw the bike knew it was property of the House of the Lord of the Western Lands. The bike belonged to him, and so did the rider. She just didn't know it yet…but maybe was starting to figure it out.
 
The girl stood up, and circled the bike once, biting her lip and frowning prettily. She cocked her head on the other side, her dark hair curling over her bare skin. Her shoulders mesmerized him. Gods, what he wouldn't give to kiss them, while she pressed against him, reaching up behind her to rub his ears while he cupped her breasts and caressed her belly, as she arched her back and moaned his name…she was coming out the door. He slipped around behind the shed, and watched, lustful instincts fully aroused but under control.
 
Kagome scampered back across the courtyard, her hair tossing, but didn't quite make it inside the house undetected. A red blur from the direction of the well enclosure intercepted her neatly. He grinned. The pup had arrived, and in time to appreciate her nicely-displayed attributes. He half-hoped she'd `sit' him, just so he could be a spectator for once, instead of a participant.
 
No such luck. He heard his future mother-in-law's voice calling the two of them in, probably for one of her breakfasts. Regretfully, but with a few new images for his fantasies, he took off for his daily duties at the Academy.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Sengoku Jidai
 
It was raining. Kagome hated the rain, even if it was a brief summer shower like this one. Her hair was wet, her armour and weapons were soaked, and her cloak was sopping. She clucked softly to the grey mare, who whickered in response. Arashi slogged through the mud, moving steadily, ears flickering fore and aft. Inuyasha stalked just ahead, walking on the balls of his feet, his ears swiveling like the mare's, always listening for trouble. Trouble sure found them this time
 
She sighed, and looked down at the damp bundle of reddish fur and torn silk sprawled across her lap and snuggled in the crook of her arm. The small kitsune was sleeping deeply, as he had for the last few days, his little hands wrapped around his face. Occasionally, he kicked his hind paws against her tattered armour, but for the most part he was still.
 
When the kit had tried to steal the shards she carried in the pouch secreted in the lining of her armour, Inuyasha had restrained himself from detaching the child from his tail on the spot. Maybe he saw something of himself in Shippo…the angry, vengeful, orphaned child that had been him at one time, with no one to protect him.
 
She'd seen the anger in Inuyasha's eyes and stance, when he took in her nearly-destroyed armour, and the leering insinuation of Manten. She knew it wasn't just physical strength that had propelled the Tetsusaiga such an incredible distance to skewer the bald demon as he was bent on choking her to death. After the gory transfer of the Jewel shards, Hinten had nearly taken Inuyasha down, cracking the sheath of the Tetsusaiga in the process. She'd been able to shoot the wheel out from under Hinten's foot, evening the odds, allowing him to destroy the elder brother. Shippo's father's residual foxfire had protected her and the kit, until the battle was finally over.
 
What had really got her, however, was Inuyasha's response when he mistakenly thought she was dead. His desperate cry of “Don't leave me!” and the way he'd gripped her like she was his life preserver…and then the way he'd covered up his outburst with a particularly asinine comment… She shook her head.
 
He hugs me, he bugs me…
Must be true love!
::snorts:: Yeah, right!
Oh, and those hugs don't rub you the right way…?
 
She noted the darkening sky, and suddenly felt the queasiness born of utter exhaustion. “Inuyasha…?” The hanyou turned towards her, his amber eyes glowing in the overcast light. He noted her drooping shoulders and the paleness of her face. She made an effort to keep her voice steady. “We really need to find some shelter for the night…I'm almost all in…”
 
Arashi snorted, bunching her hindquarters briefly, then relaxed and kept on plodding. Inuyasha slid into place behind Kagome, wrapping his arms around her and briefly resting his chin on her shoulder. She would have been startled and a bit suspicious any other time; now, she was just too cold and wet to care what he might have in mind, as long as it meant warmth. She leaned back against his chest, closing her eyes. He took the reins, and urged Arashi off the path, up the side of the hill.
 
They tracked along the mossy slope, always heading upwards on an angle, until they reached an overhanging rock. Inuyasha swung down from the mare, and then steadied her dismount, circling her gently around the shoulders. She tottered a bit when he moved away, but he kept a firm grip on her as he led her into the opening under the rock.
 
They ducked under a low part of the roof, and then she sensed that the space opened out. She couldn't see a thing, but Inuyasha obviously wasn't having any trouble. “Come sit down here, Kagome…don't drop the runt…” then he disappeared into the dark. She heard hooves, and then Arashi, streaming wet splatters, clopped past. There was the sound of wood being dropped and moved around, and then Inuyasha was at her ear. “Do you have those fire-stick-things handy?” Wordlessly, she fished the matches out of her boot. His hand closed over hers in the dark, and he gave a quick squeeze before he disappeared again.
 
Sparks flew, and the tiny flame was applied to shavings piled under the wood. They caught, and soon a small, cheery fire was crackling, lighting up the small cave. He smiled at her over it; she tried to smile back, but she was just so cold…she really needed to acquire a guardsman's rain cloak or something the next time she was home. Inuyasha went to the mare, and untied the straps holding the saddle bags. He brought them over to her, and while she riffled through them, he removed Arashi's tack and used his haori to wipe her down. The mare nickered, and nibbled on his arm; he gave her an absent-minded nose rub before poking the fire.
 
“I'll go cut Arashi some grass, if you can handle it here…” She nodded while she organized the mess kits, canteens and rations, then looked up at him as he loitered by the doorway. He winked cheekily at her, then was gone. What's got into him…? She turned her attention to having something hot to eat by the time he returned. The water was soon bubbling in the pans, and the ramen was ready for it with the dried vegetables and fish. The kit was still sleeping, curled up on her beyond-damp cloak, but she had no doubt he would wake up as soon as the scent of food made its way into his dreams.
 
Glancing at the door, she pulled out a dry fleece jacket and long pants from her kit bag, and quickly popped the buckles on her armour. Removing the sodden sport bra, she wished for a spare set of underwear …if wishes were horses… then pulled the fleece over her head, and sat down to pull off her boots. Looking again to see if the coast was hanyou-clear, she stripped off her shorts and quickly yanked up the pants. She arranged the wet articles on sticks near the fire, and sadly looked at her torn-up armour. It was barely holding together; she hoped the Armoury had a couple more sets ready for her to “field-test”. Sighing, she fished around in her kit bag for the roll of duct tape and started making repairs as best she could.
 
Inuyasha popped in the door, almost invisible under two enormous armloads of long green grass. He dropped them in front of Arashi, who whinnied and began munching.
 
“How's dinner coming, my `stormy-eyed beauty'?” he grinned. She shook her head.
 
“You're awfully perky, dog-boy. Go out and chase some trees or something…how many packets of ramen do you want?” He scooted around to her side of the fire, and looked askance at the shallow mess tin, as he did every meal.
 
“Keh! Two or three…at once? Have a few extras ready; I guess the brat and I will have to eat in shifts again…oi, runt, wake up!” He leaned across her and poked the russet fur with his claw tip. The sleeping kit exploded onto his feet, yelling.
 
“Hey, leave me alone, ya big bully…Kagome, Inuyasha's picking on me!!” They both winced at the volume, and then she practically saw the hanyou's hackles go up. She grabbed his shoulder and squeezed it, smiling gently up at him. I'm too tired for this… He stilled, and relaxed, while the kit glowered at him from under his bangs. Kagome turned to Shippo and smiled.
 
“He woke you up because he didn't want you to miss dinner…would you like to try some ramen tonight?”
 
The kit's big green eyes became even bigger and rounder. “Yes, please…it smells delicious!”
 
She handed him some chopsticks and a plateful, and his delighted grin said it all. Turning to Inuyasha, she was about to hand him a portion, when he gently pushed it back at her. “You go ahead…you look like you might fall asleep in your dinner at any moment, so I'll wait…and if you do face-plant, I'll lick you clean…” he waggled his eyebrows suggestively at her. She flicked a pea at him, catching him in the nose.
 
“I though only females went into heat…are you sure you're a guy? After meeting your brother, I have my doubts about the masculinity of some members of your family…” She grinned at his expression, then bowed her head to her dinner. He grunted, and took up poking the fire. The only sounds were the crackle of wood, and the slurping of the kit as he cleaned his plate.
 
“That was great, Kagome…I'm full! Here, Inuyasha, catch…” he shied the plate at the hanyou, who snagged it without comment. Kagome took it from him and rinsed it before filling it to heaping. Shippo was indignant. “Hey, he got way more than me! I'm just a little guy…how am I supposed to grow up big and strong if I don't get enough to eat?”
 
Kagome reached over and grabbed Shippo by the scruff of his shirt, and brought him into her lap. She shook him a little, and tapped his nose with her finger. “Listen, kid, if you want to stay alive to grow up at all, the first rule of this cave is, don't upset the alpha male. That would be the silver-haired inu-youkai over there with the really short fuse. The second rule is, don't upset the chick with the sword; that would be me. Got it?” Shippo batted his eyelashes at her, then cuddled into her chest, and impishly stuck out his tongue at Inuyasha. Kagome swatted his head lightly, and turfed him out of her lap. He sidled back and started… sniffing her.? He turned to Inuyasha, eyes wide.
 
“If you're the alpha male, how come you haven't mated Kagome yet?”
 
The hanyou turned a deep shade of crimson. Narrowing his eyes, he ground out dangerously, “None of your business, runt…and I suggest you drop it!”
 
Kagome looked from one to the other, her own eyes wide. What the hell…? Mated…? She blushed too, then caught on. The little brat was teasing them, and getting a hell of a rise out of the hanyou. The kit really did have a death wish. “Knock it off Shippo. If dog-boy and I ever do get around to mating, I'm sure you'll be the first to know about it, as will everybody else in a two-mile radius…I expect he howls, being a dog and all.”
 
Inuyasha's jaw dropped. Kagome blinked innocently at the expression on his face, and concentrated on compactly repacking the mess tins. Guess I'll need another one for the kitsune…I'm assuming he's staying with us…better check with the alpha male on that… When she looked over at Inuyasha, she decided she'd save that conversation for later. He was still looking rather flustered. She took pity on him. As she stuffed the cooking gear into the one saddlebag and rooted around in the other for her bed roll, she casually leaned into his side, and stayed there.
 
He started, but didn't pull away. Kagome slid her hand under his hair, resting it between his shoulder blades before starting to gently scratch her way up to the nape of his neck. His ears flattened, then shot straight up. If they got any more erect… She almost giggled, but just rested her head against his shoulder. Slowly, his arm slipped around her and tugged her closer. She felt a kiss on the crown of her head, and then his breath as he nuzzled her hair.
 
“Eeyew! Gross! Could you guys, like, take it outside or something? I'm just an innocent little kid here!” Shippo grinned in delight at their expressions, then took off, cackling, Inuyasha in hot pursuit. Kagome sighed, and finished the clean up, until a thump and an “Owwww! Hey, it was supposed to be a joke, you big moron!” told her the chase was over for now.
 
She flattened out the bedroll beside the fire, and was about to pull off the fleece, until she remembered she was naked underneath. Damn. She was warmed up now, but didn't want to sweat to death sleeping in the fleece. Hmmm.
 
“Inuyasha, would you loan me your juban for tonight?” The hanyou was surprised, but slowly grinning, peeled it off, giving her an eyeful of the rippling lean body hiding underneath the fabric. It was her turn for her jaw to drop.
 
Gods above…would you look at those!
I'm speechless.
I'm drooling.
I'm…is it hot in here, or what?
 
He held the white shirt out to her. “Keh! Do you want it or not?” As she reached for it, dazed, he yanked it back. “Fair's fair, wench. You have to take off yours, too…” She snorted, and snatched it out of his grip.
 
“You had your free show that day on the riverbank, dog-boy…” She marched across the cave, and stepped behind Arashi. She quickly pulled off the fleece and wrapped the garment around her, securing it with the side ties. It came down nearly to her knees, so she pulled off the pants, too. He was eyeing her legs as she re-emerged, folding her gear. “Okay, boys, lights out. I'm exhausted, and as Inuyasha will warn you, Shippo, I'm not exactly pleasant in the mornings if I don't get enough sleep…”
 
“That must be why you're always in such a good mood, Kagome, because Inuyasha isn't keeping you awake at night…Owww!”
 
The fire had burned down to embers. As he had done for more than a few nights now, particularly since the Thunder Brothers incident, Inuyasha slipped across the cave, until he was hovering above Kagome's sleeping form. He carefully lay down beside her and curved his body around hers, draping an arm around her waist and nuzzling into the nape of her neck. He was just relaxing, when a hissed whisper snapped him fully awake.
 
“Watch it, you moron…that's my tail, not hers…!”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
The next morning dawned bright and clear, only the tiniest of wispy clouds decorating the blue sky like exclamation points. The sun's rays peeked into the dim cave, and tickled the nose of a slumbering girl. Kagome stretched in her bed roll and sighed blissfully. A weight somewhere around her hip suddenly lifted, and a pair of mischievous green eyes were peering into her own. “Morning, Kagome! What's for breakfast? Any more of those noodles? I really like rice porridge…” She rolled over, groaning.
 
“If you don't watch it, Shippo, it'll be fried kitsune on special…Go `way…I'm not awake yet…”
 
“Why not, Kagome? I made sure Inuyasha didn't keep you up…ow, leggo, dog-breath! Put me down! Kagomeeeeee….!”
 
She heard the thump distantly, and snickered; the hanyou must have tossed him clear out the door and down the slope. The little pest had better figure out the pecking order, and fast…a hand dropped onto her shoulder, and she was rolled onto her back. Amber eyes smiled down at her; she smiled back, thinking he really was very handsome when he didn't scowl. Then he tenderly brushed a clawed thumb across the fine red scar on her cheek; this certainly was a more pleasant way to wake up than with kitsune-breath.
 
She blinked at him, and sat up, reaching for him. He tensed, until she wrapped her arms around his waist and snuggled into his bare chest for just a moment, and then released him. She started squirming to pull herself out of the bag. “Oh, uh, I guess you want your juban back…thanks for the loan.” He held out her now dried bra and shorts. She looked around for her four-legged modesty screen, but Arashi was nowhere in evidence.
 
“I'll go guard the doorway from that nosey little runt while you get dressed…it's going to be warm today.”
 
She brought his juban and haori to the hanyou as he lounged outside the entrance, flicking pinecones at Shippo, who was gleefully firing them back. His body was even more impressive by daylight, with amazingly defined muscles sliding underneath his taut skin. Look at those pecs! He shouldered into the white shirt, and she stepped up to him to helpfully tie it closed. He smirked. “Keh…you just can't keep your hands off me, can you?”
 
She gave him as innocent an expression as she could muster. “I haven't the faintest idea of what you're talking about…” She was smacked in the head by a well-aimed missile, and she heard the kitsune snigger as he fled up the nearest tree. She spun around, and felt Inuyasha grip her wrist and press a largish pinecone into her hand. Keeping her hands behind her back, she sauntered up to the tree.
 
“Hey, Ship-dip, c'mere for a minute…I want to show you something…”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
They were well on their way back to the village, Kagome shaking her head over the antics of the hanyou and the kitsune. Shippo had definitely recovered from his ordeal; he was everywhere at once, up on Arashi's head, on her shoulder, using Inuyasha as a launch pad, twirling down the trees, talking a blue streak, teasing the hanyou to the point of mayhem. She wondered, absently, if the kit would survive the day…
 
They were passing under a sheer cliff, Inuyasha walking protectively between her and the rock face, when they all reacted to the screaming body plunging from the heights. “Inuyasha! There…!” A red and silver blur shot up into the air, and he snagged the figure with enough time to cushion their landing.
 
It was a girl, dressed plainly in the simple robe of a shrine. She had no qualms about letting the whole vicinity know her opinions of her rescuer. “Aiiyeee! Unhand me, demon! Let me go, you vicious animal…” He dropped her at that point, and stepped away, his back stiffening. Shippo wrinkled his nose and grinned at the girl, but she screeched again, and backed away. “All you demons are the same…you only know how to kill…”
 
“Hey, that's enough now! Not all demons are the same…these two happen to be rather un-demonic in their attitudes, as a matter of fact.” Kagome used her best Lord-Kogashu-parade-ground-bellow to calm the girl and defend her boys. The girl shut up, and looked her over with a very jaundiced expression.
 
“What kind of a lady dresses in armour, and accompanies demons? Have you been possessed, perhaps? The master of my shrine could probably exorcise you…” Kagome interrupted briskly.
 
“There will be no exorcisms today, thank you. You may, however, wish to tell us how you came to be imitating a fledgling just now…”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
When the girl, Nazuna, fortified by a few cups of tea and a handful of biscuits, recounted her story, Kagome decided on an immediate course of action. Inuyasha, who was still rather affronted at the girl's attitude, was studiously ignoring her. Shippo was trying to imitate his aloof expression, but rather ruined it by busily munching on yet another biscuit he'd filched from the plate.
 
“Inuyasha, I don't think we can really walk away from this situation…these `spiderhead' demons sounds like something that could spread from this district and become a real menace.”
 
“Keh! If there aren't any Jewel shards involved, I don't see why we should concern ourselves…besides, girly here has made it clear she doesn't want anything to do with vicious animals.”
 
“Okay, you and Shippo set up camp here, and I'll have a go at some pest extermination myself…” she wasn't too surprised to see the hanyou jump to his feet, and stalk off in the direction the girl had indicated that the shrine lay, the set of his shoulders clearly indicating irritation. She swung up onto Arashi, and offered her hand to Nazuna. “Come on…he doesn't like to dawdle once his mind has been made up for him…” Shippo scooted up Arashi's leg and perched in front of Kagome.
 
“Dog-breath is really grumpy all of a sudden, Kagome…grumpier than usual, I mean…”
 
“I'd be fairly grumpy, too, if I had to put up with a bratty little kitsune and help a human that thinks he's rabid…” that was said for the girl's benefit; she wisely kept her mouth shut.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
At the shrine, Kagome hung back as Nazuna ran to greet her aged master, and apologize for bringing “vile demons” onto the shrine grounds. She rubbed Arashi's nose while she carefully assessed the situation. The shrine had defensive walls, but not high enough to discourage even a lazy ronin, never mind a youkai, and the buildings didn't even have a fortified inner perimeter.
 
Well, it is a shrine, silly
And it's not called the Sengoku Jidai for nothing, either.
 
Inuyasha seemed uncharacteristically fidgety; he kept pacing edgily. When the old priest offered them dinner and a night's lodgings, he looked sure to refuse, but Kagome accepted for them. She received a glare that could have flamed wet wood for her trouble. She avoided the furious hanyou by taking Arashi to the stables at the rear of the shrine grounds, accompanying a rather morose Nazuna. The girl was still pouting over having to serve food to demons; Kagome found out that her father had been killed by the spiderheads, and the old monk had taken her in and sheltered her. Well, that explained a few things…
 
The meal was pleasant; Shippo enthusiastically congratulating Nazuna on her cooking skills and chattering a mile a second. Inuyasha was heavily silent; he ate quickly, and got up to pace again. While Shippo was engaged in showing off a few kitsune tricks to the girl, Kagome stood up and moved to intercept the hanyou. She had barely touched his sleeve, when he jerked away and flung the door open.
 
“I'm sleeping outside tonight, alone…” Nazuna screamed.
 
Spiderheads!” Kagome watched, horrified, as multiple sets of unblinking red eyes appeared in the twilight, all over the grounds, in the trees, cresting the walls, and began to move in. “We're surrounded…”
 
“Shit…!” She was grabbed and swung up on Inuyasha's back, and then they were tearing hell-bent-for-leather over the walls, through the undergrowth, until they pitched up nearly at the top of the cliffs where they had first encountered Nazuna. She slid off his back as he dropped to one knee, grabbing him by a fistful of hair.
 
“What's gotten into you? You have never run from a fight with low-grade oni like that before…omigod…” In her hands, darkness leached into the silver strands until the entire length was raven-black. “Inuyasha…?” She carefully reached around to grasp his shoulder, to turn the resisting hanyou towards her.
 
His eyes were very dark violet. She started, and reached for his ears, which were no longer where they should be, and traced down to the very human ones now situated behind his jaw. He watched her warily and a bit defiantly, but didn't pull away from her touch. “Oh, Inuyasha…will they come back?!”
 
“You…like my ears…?”
 
“I like them the way they were! …will they come back?” She peered up at him, her eyes wide. He had to smile.
 
“They'll be back at dawn tomorrow…but until then, I'm totally helpless…”
 
“You're human…!” She grabbed his hand, and inspected his claw-less fingers. “Okay, now this hanyou-stuff makes sense; no ears, no claws, no fangs and…no magical powers?” He nodded miserably. She leaned in very close to his neck, and sniffed, then sat back with a sigh of relief.
 
She's really lost it this time
 
“At least you smell the same, though…why didn't you tell me about this?! I would never have pushed to go after any demons tonight, if I'd known you were vulnerable…”
 
“I've never trusted anyone with this secret. That's how I've survived.”
 
Kagome sat stock-still, digesting that. Of course, if he'd been on his own since a child, he'd have learned pretty fast to hide from all danger…and this was particularly hazardous to his health.
 
Inuyasha watched as various emotions slipped across her face like shadows. A decision was made. Standing up, she tugged at her patched-up armour, patted her sword, and checked her arrows and bow, obviously readying herself to leave. “Where are you going? Why do you think I hauled your ass outta there, Kagome?” She met his gaze levelly.
 
“In case you've forgotten, Shippo and Nazuna are still at the shrine, along with the old monk and Arashi. I'm not leaving them to be arachnid hors d'ouevres…Stay here and be the rear guard…I'll go and rescue the others. Dammit, hope that Arashi is still okay…hey, where do you think you're going, dog-boy?”
 
“Oi, wench, the only way you'll get me to stay is to say the `s' word…and I don't think it works on the night of the new moon…NO! Don't test it…!”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Things were not going well by the time they slogged back up to the shrine, as Inuyasha was in no condition to carry anything heavier than the Tetsusaiga, and when Kagome slyly mentioned that at least his attitude was the same, he growled nastily. Just as they reached the perimeter wall, he suddenly shoved the blade at her.
 
“It won't transform for me tonight, so keep it out of my way…”
 
Kagome slid the heavier blade into her obi, next to Fenikkusuken. The hilts clanked against each other, and a powerful jolt made her yelp. She smacked the two katanas, hard, while Inuyasha watched with his eyebrows arched. “Stop that, you two…make nice, or else!”
 
Okay, now she's talking to the swords…maybe I'm not the only one with `issues'
 
Shippo was giving a heroic effort, using foxfire to blast away the balls of spider-silk being thrown at him by several dozen spiderheads, while Nazuna cowered behind him. The old monk was face-down in a corner, shrouded in silk, and she was desperately trying to get to him, but the intensity of the attack kept her away. Kagome swore, and fired off several charged arrows into the mass of silk, scattering the gibbering spiderheads.
 
“Kagome! You saved us!” Shippo was panting with effort, his fur wet against his forehead.
 
“You looked like you were more than holding your own, Shippo…I knew you'd be a good addition to the team!” The little kit stood tall, puffing out his chest.
 
“Having a full demon around is pretty helpful, huh? I mean, if Inuyasha can't look after you, then I'll have to do it, won't I? Nice hair, by the way, dog breath…”
 
“Keh! Don't get any ideas, runt…you go find your own wench to protect…”
 
“Please, Inuyasha, save my master!” The hanyou turned and jumped over several swathes of silk, until he stood at the monk's side. He can still get some pretty impressive altitude
 
Then the nightmare began. The monk suddenly grew, elongated…and slammed Inuyasha into the wall by his throat. Kagome and Nazuna screamed at once, and Kagome began firing arrows into the monk's body, which reacted by stretching and spindling into a hideously boney web-like structure that filled the room.
 
“Where are the shards, half-demon? I've waited and waited for you to appear…it was my good fortune that it happened to be on your night of weakness…” The words lisped sibilantly through the air, as the spider-youkai applied more pressure to Inuyasha's throat.
 
The hanyou managed to sputter, “I'm still strong enough to squash a bug like you!”
 
Laughing, the youkai reared back, and plunged its fangs into Inuyasha's shoulder, biting down hard to send the poison deep. The hanyou went limp, strung up in the web of silk and bone. Suddenly, the youkai swung around its too-long neck, and glared directly at Kagome, reddened spittle dangling off the elongated fangs. “What do you have there, human…I can see them! Give them to me!”
 
She only saw glistening white streaking towards her, and then the front of her armour was nearly torn away. She hung there in mid-air from the demon's fangs, until the much-abused shoulder buckles gave way, and she plummeted to the floor, landing awkwardly and bruising herself on the two swords. Her thoughts were only on Inuyasha, hanging still as death in the shrouds above her head. She barely registered the youkai ripping away and eating the front of her armour…
 
“Inuyasha! Hang on! I'm coming…” Scrambling upright, she began climbing the boney structure hand over hand. More silk was thrown at her, and the spiderheads began closing in; then Tetsusaiga pulsed, and all were thrown back. Her own sword began leaking coloured vapour around the hilt. The youkai's fangs glinted in the dark; Kagome snarled and drew the katana, slashing hard, and they withdrew again. Inuyasha, bleeding heavily from the wounds in his neck, turned dull eyes onto her.
 
“Kagome… save yourself…there's no hope for me…”
 
“Listen to the hero…I leave no man or hanyou behind, dog-boy, so get used to me hauling your ass out of tight spots…come on!” She launched herself into space, swinging onto one of the skeins holding him, and used Fenikkusuken to slash through the bonds. Then they were falling, the floor coming up too fast for her to completely cushion the blow. “Shippo…Nazuna…help me carry him…”
 
Nazuna grabbed an arm, Shippo an ankle, and they dragged the unconscious hanyou into a small storage room Nazuna indicated to the side of the altar. They had barely slammed the door, when grotesquely clawed fingers punched through. Kagome ripped Tetsusaiga out of its sheath, and drove both swords into the wood of the door. The swords thrummed, and silvery vapour began looping lazily between them. The claws withdrew, a sharp scream punctuating the sound of abused wood. Concentrating very hard, Kagome held her hands, palms out, towards the door, and a violet-pink mist shimmered, thickened and covered the wall with a second layer of security. Nazuna looked at her in surprise.
 
“A demonic miko? Who could ever imagine such a thing…” She was interrupted by a jarringly-cheerful and familiar voice.
 
“Well done, Kagome-sama! Both swords, and a barrier to boot…you are simply full of surprises as well as amazingly beautiful…”
 
“Hello, Myoga-san, we must be fairly safe if you show up…Oh, Inuyasha! Myoga-san, what can we do for him? My medical supplies are all in Arashi's saddlebags!”
 
“I can remove the poison, Kagome-sama…but you may wish to turn away until I'm done…some people can find the sight a bit, ah, revolting…”
 
“Do whatever you have to, Myoga-san…just save him!”
 
The flea bounced over to Inuyasha's neck, and positioned himself over the worst of the punctures. He started to suck…and slurp…and inhale…and expand until he was nearly the size of Shippo. He rolled away, belching, and then began acting as if he had been at the sake barrel. “S'more?...no, (hic) thanksh you, my good (hic) man…couldn't `ave another ship to (hic) shave my life…!”
 
Ignoring the engorged flea demon, Kagome slid over until she could cradle Inuyasha's head into her lap. He's so pale and cold…she lifted one limp hand, and pressed it to her cheek, then turned it over and kissed the calloused palm. Laying it across his chest, she brushed his hair off his forehead and wished for ears to rub and a purr to rumble. Shippo crept over to her, and gave her a piece of linen he'd ripped off of something. She ruffled his hair and smiled; he slipped closer and looking down at the hanyou, patted his cheek softly with a little hand.
 
“C'mon, Inuyasha…who'll pound me if you roll over and die? I don't wanna break in anybody new…” He looked ready to cry. Kagome hugged him briefly, then he went over and snuggled up against Myoga, snuffling himself to sleep. She began stroking the hanyou's hair and planted some tiny kisses across his brow.
 
“Ka…gome…?” His voice was very faint, but it was there. She cupped his cheek, and smiled down at him.
 
“Hello, dog-boy…how are you feeling?” He coughed weakly, and opened his dark eyes, blinking slowly until they focussed on her face. He lifted one hand and touched her cheek, then pressed the tear-dampened thumb to his own lips.
 
“Why…are you…crying, Kagome-chan?”
 
“Because somebody I'm rather attached to nearly got himself killed tonight…and still might, if I mess up the barriers before dawn…listen, Inuyasha, don't be so stubborn next time, okay? If there are any other little `secrets' of yours I ought to know for strategic purposes, now is a good time to spill them…”
 
He tried to smirk. “Me…? Die? Don't be ridiculous…”
 
“Well, you gave an award-winning rendition of it back there…if Myoga-san hadn't shown up on cue, I would be chanting a prayer for the departed spirit about now, and I'd make a hash of it and send you to the wrong hell for sure…shush, lie still, Inu-chan,…you squirm as much as a pup with fleas…oh, sorry, you did have a flea-bite…”
 
He stilled, and nestled closer into her lap. “…have I ever told you how much I like your scent…?”
 
“No, but I'm sure your confession is just an after-effect of blood loss to the brain…go to sleep, Inuyasha. I have to concentrate on making sure those two swords behave themselves…” He did sleep then, his chest heaving in a comfortingly regular rhythm. Kagome dozed a bit now and again, keeping one ear cocked for the quiet thrumming of the swords' energy fields, overlaid by the light crackle of her own barrier. Finally, she carefully moved Inuyasha until she was curled around him, their dark heads resting against each other.
 
The pre-dawn chorus of birds was in full cry when the spider-youkai struck.
 
Violent tremours shook the room, rocking the occupants fully awake as boxes, fittings and dust shook down on them. Kagome covered Inuyasha's head and chest with her own, her hair shrouding them both. “Shippo…! Nazuna…! Come over here! Quickly!”
 
The youkai's target became quickly obvious, as the flexing of the door gradually dislodged the swords, and they crashed down onto the floor. Kagome's barrier faltered and shredded, and then the boney arms smashed through the walls and ceilings. The creature's hideously distorted face loomed over them. “Ahhh, a substantial morning snack…why, Nazuna, are you volunteering to become the first? You can join your father in my belly…”
 
Nazuna snatched up the Tetsusaiga, and raised it defiantly. “Now it's all clear! You were the spiderhead that killed my father, and only pretended to befriend me! You horrid, disgusting piece of filth…I will have vengeance…aaaiiiyyyeee!!”
 
The youkai seized her from behind, gripping her by the waist and throat, whispering, “I will still show you mercy, Nazuna, by strangling you before I swallow you!”
 
“Showtime…” and to Kagome's shock, Inuyasha sprang up and headed towards the demon and its prey, dark hair blowing in the morning breeze amongst the smoking wreckage of the building. Tetsusaiga fell out of the girl's nerveless hand, and Inuyasha caught it deftly. “Hey, asshole, leave that scrawny human…want a piece of real meat?”
 
The transformed youkai slavered, dropping the girl and grabbing Inuyasha instead, multiple hands gripping every limb. Shippo dashed forward and inflated, cushioning Nazuna's fall. “A half-demon…will increase my power…along with the Jewel shards…your comrades will do nicely for dessert…”
 
The first fingers of dawn reached over the eastern mountains, bringing a pinkish glow to the nightmarish scene. “Careful, ya ugly bastard…ya might choke on the first bite…” and Kagome gasped from a powerful pulse within her chest, as a blast of silver sparks announced Tetsusaiga's transformation. The great sword thrummed with power, and Inuyasha allowed a triumphant smirk just before slamming it down through bone and flesh. Once, twice more the sword rose and fell, and then the spider-youkai disintegrated.
 
A glowing mote fell through the air, to bounce on the ground, before trickling, unerringly, to Kagome's hand. She picked it up in one hand, and it flared pink in her fingertips. She hefted Fenikkusuken and stowed the katana in its scabbard, before turning towards a silver-haired, yellow-eyed Inuyasha. She handed him Tetsusaiga's sheath, which he took without comment. He stepped up to her, and sniffed at the fused piece of the Shikon Jewel in her palm. “Is that it? I thought we had more shards than that…?”
 
“Hey, it's big enough to impress this girl…everybody all right over there?” Shippo and Nazuna came up to them. Nazuna looked at the piece of Jewel glowing softly in Kagome's hand, and shook her head slowly.
 
“So much death and misery, all for that piece of rock…?” Kagome slung her arm around the girl's shoulders.
 
“This Jewel has the power to grant wishes, Nazuna, but so far, it seems that its fate is to bring death to all those that touch it.” The girl looked at her intently.
“Why don't you fear to touch it, then?”
 
“I am named its Protector; I accidentally shattered it, and now it is my responsibility to recover all the shards before more people are hurt. I purify it, and Inuyasha and Shippo help me to guard it. Well, Shippo does; Inuyasha would like it for himself, but we've reached an agreement of sorts to hold off that confrontation until the Jewel is whole again.” She smiled over at the hanyou, to take the sting out of her comment; he simmered anyways. A delighted whinny forestalled any comment, as Arashi trotted around the shattered corner of the building and headed right for Kagome.
 
Snuffling her all over, the mare finished by bunting her in the elbow, knocking the chunk of Jewel up into the air. Kagome caught it again, and winking at Inuyasha, poked it into her bra top. “Well, my demonic honour guard, shall we be off? Nazuna, would you like a lift to the next village? I really don't feel safe leaving you here on your own…”
 
“No, thank you, Kagome-sama. I will go to the village of my cousins, which is about a three-day's walk from here, in the opposite direction. Ummm…thank you, too, Inuyasha and Shippo. I will try to remember that not all demons are evil…” Inuyasha snorted.
 
“Keep your guard up, Nazuna. Most of us are sneaky bastards who are only looking out for ourselves…” Kagome goosed him in the ribs, and smiled at the girl.
 
“Don't mind dog-boy; he's mostly bark, not bite…Fare thee well, Nazuna.” She tossed Shippo up onto Arashi's back, and turned the mare's head away from the shrine, on the path homewards. Inuyasha huffed, and stalked on ahead, his hair swishing like a tail in annoyance. She gave Shippo the reins, and jog-trotted to catch up with him. He gave her a sideways glare, and suddenly sprang up into the nearest tree, heading through the foliage.
 
“What's up with him?” Shippo wondered, when he and Arashi caught up to the bemused girl.
 
“If he's going to get this way every month, I think I'll make sure I have an errand to do on the other side…he's really not used to anyone seeing his weaknesses, and he doesn't like having to rely on anyone else.”
 
“Yeah, but if you hadn't been here, he would've died, Kagome!”
 
“No, because he wouldn't have become involved with Nazuna in the first place, Ship-dip…or he'd still be pinned to the Goshinboku. C'mon, let's go see what Kaede-sama has in the stew pot today…if Inuyasha doesn't get there first and clean out our portions, that is.” She swung up behind Shippo, and urged Arashi into a ground-eating canter, following the red and silver blur through the trees.