InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Phoenix Blade: Time Lapse ❯ In Hot Water ( Chapter 10 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: Nope, none of `em are mine…Takahashi-sama gets `em back after I've wreaked havoc with `em…
 
A/N: Yes, there's an almost-lemon in this chapter…finally! As stated in the story summary, this is an M/R rated fic …don't want anybody flaming me or deleting me because they got corrupted accidentally by my purple prose…
 
For the easily confused: most of this chapter is told by way of flashbacks…and it's the SJ Inuyasha involved the whole way through.
 
For my kind reviewers on MediaMiner…I'm not ignoring you, I just can't access them…some kind of spanner in the works there…I've emailed the webmaster to try and sort the problem out.
 
The Phoenix Blade: Time Lapse
Chapter Ten: In Hot Water
 
Present Time
 
Kagome stood under the shower, revelling in the feeling of finally being clean. She pushed away from the wall, turned off the water, and stepped straight into the tub. The wonders of 21st century plumbing… She slowly uncoiled, letting the heat take her until she was floating. The memory made her cringe. That herbal glop Urasue had dumped her into had crept into orifices and crevices she didn't want to think about…
 
She wrung out a facecloth, folded it and put it on her forehead, sinking down up to her chin in the steaming hot water, and sighed.
 
Damn, damned, damnable…
Just when things were going so well, too
Just when Inuyasha…
Let's not discuss that.
I agree.
Sorry
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
…after their return home with Shippo, it had taken her two days to mollify the hanyou because of her comment to Nazuna about him wanting the Jewel to become a full demon. However, it was a conversation they needed to have, so Kagome took the extreme step of first `sitting' him out of the tree he was sulking in, and then, while he was paralyzed, pulling his head into her lap and rubbing his ears until he was a quivering lump of jelly. The tactics of pleasure and pain, she'd mused, while he sequentially gasped and snarled and purred under her hands. Once his eyes had nearly rolled up in his head, and his leg started to jiggle, she'd started in.
 
“Inuyasha, we do need to talk about what will happen between us when the Jewel is completed…”
 
He could barely manage a recognizable “Keh…”
 
“Look, just agree that it will be a fair fight…no arrows at all, okay? Sword against sword, the winner makes the wish…” He'd sat up abruptly, and turned to look at her sharply.
 
“What makes you think I'll do any kind of deal with you, wench?”
 
She smiled winningly. “Because at heart, you're a decent shmuck, and you wouldn't want to do it any other way?” He snorted. “Inuyasha, with the Tetsusaiga, you are stronger than any other demon we've met and defeated so far, and that includes your charming brother. Do you really need to become a full demon?” He stilled, apparently considering. Kagome shuddered dramatically.
 
“Ick, I don't think I could stand it if you turned into Sesshomaru…” He flinched. She grinned evilly and imitated Sesshomaru's icy tones. “ `This Inuyasha demands some ramen, human wench'…hey, you'd have to get a toady like Jaken to follow you around…I wonder if they come in matched sets…” He'd jumped to his feet, but instead of stalking off, he'd grabbed her and pulled her up, too. He'd steadied her, and cupped her cheek, tracing the scar with his thumb. His eyes were dark amber, and solemn.
 
“Would you stay by my side if I was a full demon?” The question took her by surprise, to say the least, but she'd answered with her heart.
 
“If you wanted me to…so long as you don't start acting like you've got an icicle up your ass…but I'd really prefer you to stay as you are.” He'd been startled. She'd smiled, and stood on tip-toe to gently kiss his cheek, and whisper, “I've really got a thing for the ears, you know, and your brother is seriously lacking in that department…” He'd hugged her tightly, kissing her on the forehead, chuckling, and they were back to normal…
 
Of course, then everything had gone to hell in a handbasket…
 
…They were out barely two days from base, had already tangled with a slithering salamander oni with one shard, and were camping out. Inuyasha was tree-roosting for some reason, and she had played cards against Shippo, with gummi bears as wagers. Turned out the little brat was a bit of a shark, much to her chagrin and depleted stash of sweets. They'd turned in to her bedroll, still arguing half-heartedly over the total points before falling asleep…
 
She'd awakened to find the hanyou crouched over her, golden eyes molten. Not sure if he was sizing her up as prey, or if he wanted something else, she'd been careful to “accidentally” knock him ass-over-teakettle as she sat up, Fenikkusuken in her hand. Then he'd shaken himself, and snapped that she was nothing like her. Not being exactly sure which bus route Inuyasha was currently on, she'd stayed quiet. He'd subsided across the glowing embers, watching her intently. Fairly sure that sleep was definitely receding as a possibility, she'd propped herself upright with the sword and contemplated him with interest. After all, he wasn't so hard on the eyes…
 
…Then he had shot to his feet, staring up at the night sky, his mouth agape. Startled to find him looking completely gormless (or more than usual, anyways), she'd followed his line of sight to an obviously magical creature causing an aural disturbance as he/she arced across the night sky.
 
“Is it your brother?”
 
“No…but that scent…blood and damp grave soil…one fresh, one not…” He'd paused, wrinkling his nose quite adorably. “Shit…Kaede!!” And he was gone.
 
She and Shippo had arrived back at the village late the next day, aboard a lathered Arashi. Kagome had raced for the hut, hauling her medical kit, to find a bandaged and battered old miko sipping tea and having a low-toned conversation with Inuyasha. They'd both looked around at Kagome like she was an intruder on private matters. Confused, she'd stuttered something about being worried, gesturing hesitantly at the medical bag as she did, and then backed out of the doorway. She'd trailed off to look after her horse. Shippo had disappeared; she assumed the kit had found his way to a meal.
 
Kagome was rubbing down the mare in the stable, talking quietly to her, Arashi nickering softly in response, when the doorway filled. She looked at Inuyasha from over Arashi's back, then went back to her ministrations.
 
“You need to see something.”
 
“I'm almost done. Arashi needs to be taken care of, especially if we have another hard ride ahead of us.” Actually, she was done, but no harm in making him stew a bit. He bit back a curse, but slouched against the doorframe.
 
She'd folded up the rag carefully, as if it were made of the finest silk, and placed it on the shelf next to the brushes. Swinging her quiver to her shoulder and tucking her sword into her obi, she'd stepped up to him, keeping her face carefully neutral. “Finally, bitch…” he'd grabbed her wrist and fairly jerked her out the door. She'd debated making an issue of the `b' word, but then mentally shrugged. There were other ways of getting him back…
 
He was hauling her through the village and up the stairs to the small shrine that had housed the Shikon no Tama in Kikyo's day. She stumbled with the haste of his walk, and nearly twisted her ankle…saved by the combat boots again. He didn't break his stride, but dropped her hand. She'd stopped dead, and folded her arms. About ten paces on, he'd registered she was no longer at his shoulder, and turned irritably. “Fuck, bitch, what's your fucking problem?”
 
She'd flared angrily then. “I could ask you the same question, asshole…what is up with you? You haven't called me a bitch in weeks and now all of a sudden, twice in five minutes. Spill, dog-boy, or I'm not budging…” He'd snarled and stormed towards her, fairly murderous intent written all over him. She'd whipped out her sword and crouched, waiting, as the red and green coils slid down its length. That had brought him up short. They'd faced each other down for a long moment, Kagome fighting with a brief urge to see if he could reach a low earth orbit with the sword's blast for lift. Finally, he turned away.
 
“C'mon, wench…Keh! Things are gonna get interesting enough anyways…” She'd sheathed the katana, hands shaking and knees weak, and followed at a careful distance. What was up with him? Maybe he was rabid…
 
They'd come to the blast crater shortly after, where Kikyo's tomb had been. She didn't really have to be told why this was bad news…
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Kagome sighed again, and shifted to her other hip. Urasue had taken the ashes and soil to cast spells with Kikyo's earthly remains. She doubted the nasty old ogress had really thought through all the aspects of resurrecting a powerful miko like Kikyo, because it sure hadn't gone as the old hag had expected.
 
Well, at least she'd got a decent enough kiss out of all of it…she ran a fingertip over her lips, smiling…actually, it was a damn amazing kiss, and probably her first and last from Inuyasha…
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
…They'd packed up and left at first light the next day. Kaede, swathed in bandages and one arm in a sling, had waddled over to her brown gelding, named Juhi. Two villagers helped her into the saddle. Kagome manoeuvred Arashi into place at her heels. Shippo had scampered up to perch between Juhi's ears, and they were off.
 
“Where's Inuyasha?” Mostly so she could duck…
 
“He'll be along, I expect…Kagome-sama, are you well supplied with arrows?”
 
“Hai, Kaede-sama…both short and long range…why do you ask?”
 
“Practise charging them. You may find yourself up against a champion archer very soon…”
 
Humph. She's been out of practise for fifty years
 
Inuyasha had taken that moment to drop in, landing on Juhi's hindquarters. Kagome hoped, briefly, the gelding would rear and dump him on his ass. She felt very isolated all of a sudden, the odd one out. The rest of them seemed to all be on the same wave length, but for some reason she was being excluded. Fine, then. She'd put her mind to good use while she waited to be brought into the loop. She fell to analyzing all the possible reasons why Urasue would want Kikyo's ashes, and finally gave up because her head hurt.
 
Arashi bunched, and snorted softly. Inuyasha was behind her, balancing lightly on the mare's rump. He didn't sit down, and didn't even touch her shoulder. His voice was somewhat strained, she noted, but wasn't sure if it was because he was trying to make nice, or because he was in a temper.
 
“What are you thinking about, wench?”
 
“Trying to remember where that low-hanging branch is…” He ignored her.
 
“Why do you think Urasue wants the ashes?”
 
“I've given myself a headache thinking out all the possible permutations, and quite frankly, just want to curl up with a cold cloth over my eyes. What are you so concerned for? No Jewel shards involved, just your dead girlfriend…” He cursed and leapt away.
 
So that was it. When he looked at her, he saw Kikyo looking back! Kagome groaned inwardly. Lovely, just lovely. Nothing like an identical-twin ex-girlfriend to really screw things up…
 
They'd ridden all day, finally making camp in the early twilight. Kagome cracked the ration containers and divided them among four mess tins; she'd picked up a couple more along with a guardsman's rain cloak and a new cuirass at the Armoury. Sensei Shimano had only rolled his eyes at her story of the previous item being buried somewhere in the rubble of a building, but had produced all she'd requested that afternoon. Honest, sir, a great big spider ate my combat armour… She'd found a note in his thick, bold script tucked into the packaging. “Damaged armour must be presented for exchange purposes,” prompting her to roll her own eyes. Damn accountants…
 
After eating, she'd cleaned up and made Kaede some tea. As the stars came out, she'd given up her bedroll for the old miko, taking her cloak to sit up against a handy rock, her sword against her shoulder, bow and arrows across her lap. Shippo had elected to sleep with Kaede…figures, she thought sourly.
 
She played with an arrow, flaming it, and then trying to overlay another barrier from her sword's energy over top. The two powers combined, but it was tricky to keep them balanced evenly. Sighing, she'd scrunched her back against the rock, trying to get comfortable for what was going to be a very long night, and bowed her head, hoping for at least a light doze. Something prickled her senses; she peeked through her eyelashes. Inuyasha was watching her, his eyes again molten pools that made her stomach do funny twists.
 
Kagome raised her head, looking at him pointedly. “What?!” He'd crooked a finger at her. She'd looked back, puzzled at the obvious summons, and frowningly shook her head. He'd pulled her to her feet a split second after that, his face only scant inches from hers. She'd jerked back, glaring. “What is your problem?” she'd hissed. He'd responded by scooping her up and carrying her around the small hill behind their camp, until they were alone in the moonlight.
 
He'd set her on her feet, but not let go of her. He seemed awfully intent on something. She'd nervously wet her lips, trying to decide between the sword and the `sit' command, and wondering again, what the hell was going on?
 
“Inuyasha…?” He was starting to really worry her, what with his laser-intensity focus on her face, and his silence. She decided to test her theory. “You've been looking at me weirdly ever since we saw Urasue…that is, when you're not ignoring me all together. Does it…bother you how much I look like Kikyo?”
 
He stopped a minute examination of her lips to meet her eyes. She swallowed hard and ploughed on; those eyes made her knees go weak. “Do you...hate me for it?” Might as well be damned for a sheep as a lamb
 
“You've got it all wrong, Kagome…” his voice was incredibly warm and rich. One arm circled her waist; her chin was captured between his fingers and her face tilted up to his. She was frozen, watching his lips come closer, and then he was kissing her softly, deeply and passionately. A tremour ran through her; she slipped her arms up around his neck, and twisted her hands in his hair, kissing him back with as much intensity as she could muster. The hand touching her face migrated to her back, and she was gathered as close to him as possible. Their hearts thumped out of sync for two beats, then paused, and began pounding together. A deep purr? growl? began deep in his chest, and the vibrations rumbling through her body had her moaning into his mouth. He took the opportunity to slip his tongue inside; she gasped at the sensation, and then participated with enthusiasm, moulding herself to him.
 
They'd broken for air, both gasping slightly. He'd then pressed tiny kisses all over her face; across her brow, down her nose, along her jaw. She was trembling, especially when his claws found bare skin along her arms and across her shoulders. The buckle over her left shoulder popped open; he slid the strap of her sport bra down, and curved her backward so he could kiss the scar from the Shikon no Tama. His mouth traveled to the side of her neck, and paused there, his breath raising goose bumps all over her. He'd slowly nibbled up her neck to her earlobe, and then traced the shell edge with his tongue. She honestly thought she might faint from the sensations, but then noticed she could reach the divot at the centre of his collarbone, and began kissing her way up his neck, at the same time sliding her hands upward until she found the base of his ears.
 
He groaned, clutching her all the more tightly, his hands sliding down her backside to press her pelvis more closely into his. She gulped, feeling the unmistakeable masculine appendage rigid against her belly, and suddenly wondering if this was what it was all about? She'd teased him about being in heat…maybe he was? But was it for her…or for Kikyo?...Damn, things were going to be complicated…
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Kagome huffed, and flopped over the side of the tub, reaching for the bucket of cold water to dump a ladleful over her head. She was warmed up from the water and the memories, that was sure…the next bit hurt too much to think about, but there it was…
 
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
He'd been surprised, to say the least, when she'd broken away from him, straightening her armour and snapping her shoulder guard back into place. She'd started to walk away, back to the fire, when he'd caught her by the hand…sword arm, she noticed…and spun her back to face him.
 
“Kagome…?” His voice had sent thrills through her again. She didn't dare meet his eyes, because she knew she'd be lost again, and he could do whatever he wanted to her with her eager assistance. She splayed her hand across his chest, feeling his heart beat, and took a deep breath.
 
“I really, really enjoyed your kisses, Inuyasha, and I wouldn't mind doing it again sometime soon…but only when I'm sure that I'm the one being kissed, not Kikyo.” He'd stood stock-still for a moment, then dropped her hand like it had burned him, and he'd backed away, a thundercloud gathering on his brow. With an impressively evocative oath, he'd shot away, and hadn't come near her since.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
The bath seemed even hotter than when she started, Kagome thought. Probably she'd unintentionally increased the temperature with her memories inflaming her aura. She smiled wryly. Inuyasha could sure get her all hot and bothered, and he didn't even have to be there...Sighing, she stood up to rinse off.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
It sure hurt when one of her souls had bunked off to fill Kikyo's empty shell, thanks to Inuyasha speaking the miko's name out loud. It felt like what she imagined having one's bowels removed in some medieval torture was like…a sharp ripping pain accompanied by an acute feeling of nausea. She hadn't been so far gone that she didn't notice several other glowing globes, which had circled her lazily, and then dived back inside her. The soul Kikyo took actually had split in half, the larger part returning to her, and the smaller remaining with the original owner.
 
She'd wished for more strength, when Kikyo had tried to kill Inuyasha after dissolving Urasue into ash, but that goop had done its work all too well. After that, she'd been fussed over by Kaede as she wobbled out of the cistern, but the hanyou had said nothing, not even when he had ferried her across the chasm on his back and plopped her against a handy tree before turning to go back for Kaede. Arashi had nuzzled her cheek, licking off the traces of the liquid, and Shippo had hugged her tightly all the way back to the village, not moving from her side significantly for two whole days…
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
…which is how she got here, alone in a bathtub, trying to clean herself and her mind; which one being easier, she wasn't too sure.
 
Then, from down the hall, she heard the door to her bedroom open and close. Kagome tensed, listening hard. That wasn't Sota's gait, nor her grandfather's. With a sinking sensation, she knew exactly who was now standing outside the bathroom door. Damn hanyou.
 
“Kagome?” His voice was slightly muffled. “We need to talk…right now!”
 
“No way, dog-boy! You'll just have to wait…”
 
“Keh! Why not, wench?”
 
“Because…” she cast about for a reason, and grabbed a completely inane one. “…because I'm naked, you're not, and you don't need any extra advantages…” She winced. If that didn't sound like a come-on
 
“Well, why didn't you say so…I can fix that…”
 
She froze at the momentary image of her mother coming across a buck-naked hanyou in her hallway, and instantly relented. “Okay, okay…you can come in, dammit…give me a sec…” She twisted and snagged a towel off the hook, and draped it around herself, then sat down in the tub again, just as the door opened, and a half-naked half-demon strolled in.
 
Yikes.
Damn.
Like I needed the temperature to go up any higher in here…
 
He had his haori and juban slung over one shoulder, and his hakama were slung perilously low on his hips, giving her a full frontal view of the muscles defining his girdle and his abdominals. She knew her mouth was hanging open, but she couldn't close it and consider the question of whether his pubic hair was the same colour as his mane at the same time.
 
He came right up to the bathtub, dropping his clothes carelessly, and looked into the water, quirking an eyebrow. “I thought those things were to dry yourself off with…?” She bent over, drawing her knees up and wrapping her arms around them, managing to close her mouth and glare at him.
 
“S…down with your back to me…now…or you'll find yourself in the sub-sub-basement…” He grinned arrogantly at her, and did as he was told. Kagome closed her eyes, counting to ten, and then, when he hadn't said anything, looked his way. Some tendrils of his hair were floating in the water, and his ears were both swivelled back towards her. She couldn't help herself…she captured those silver strands and wound them around her fingers, then released them to make patterns in the water.
 
“Where do we go from here, Kagome?”
 
His voice was that same low, thrilling rumble that made her knees weak just hearing it. Dammit, and the bastard knew it, too. She needed to bring things back under control, or she'd be dragging him into the tub with her as her personal watercraft. She wondered, absently, if the dye of his hakama would run in hot water…
 
“I've been trying and trying to piece together the two versions of the same story that you and Kikyo both told, and quite frankly, there are too many things out of whack for them to jive.” She noted he sat up a little straighter, his ears rigid; she kept twirling his hair. “She says she brought the Jewel with her that day to give to you, that she was attacked and the Jewel taken from her. You say you were shot at first, then you wrecked the shrine, and the Jewel was in your hand at the moment she pinned you to the Goshinboku. I'm really having trouble with the timeline. How could she have it up in the meadow, but it was back in the shrine when you took it? Something really doesn't make sense…”
 
He turned around slowly, his amber eyes locking onto hers, his voice hushed. “Who do you believe?”
 
“Well, duh…you, of course…mmmmmph!”
 
She was yanked to the side of the tub and crushed against his chest, his mouth capturing hers. The soaked towel was pulled away from her, and then she was lifted with him as he stood up. Keeping her locked against him with one arm across her back, and one hand cupping her bottom, parting her legs around his waist, he lowered them both to the floor, laying her on his discarded clothing. His hands slid up her back to cradle her shoulder blades; his tongue was sensuously playing with hers. She was utterly aware of the fact that only a layer of fire-rat fur was between her and getting to know Inuyasha a whole lot better.
 
Omigod.
Is he going to…are we going to…oooohhh…
 
Gentle pelvic thrusts were pushing her hips into the floor, and she could feel every nerve ending screaming for closer contact. It was hard to think; his deep kisses were making her mind go all fuzzy, dissolving in a haze of lust. She was dimly aware that one hand was withdrawn from her back, and that his weight had shifted to one side. He was obviously undoing his hakama, and having trouble, because he withdrew his other hand and sat back on his heels to tackle the difficulty with opposable claws.
 
Kagome lay still for a moment, then using her arms, pushed herself away from him, skidded across the slick floor onto her knees and wrapped her arms around herself. He looked at her, bemused, as his hakama dropped off his hips to pool around his knees. She was frozen at the sight of his erection; not only was it a fine example of the type, she was fairly sure, but yes, his pubic hair was as silvery as that on his head.
 
Well, that `sword' doesn't look like a dud, either
 
Inuyasha stretched out his arms, reaching for her. She scooted farther away, finally being able to speak. “What do you take me for?” she gasped, wincing at the implication he thought she might be a loose woman. She was unprepared for his rejoinder, delivered with an arched eyebrow and a positively devilish grin.
 
“I'll take you for my mate, with any luck…”
 
A/N: a lemon-scented cliffie, in homage to Nokomarie the Snake's Dogs in Tokyo!