InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Phoenix Blade: Time Lapse ❯ Garden Party ( Chapter 14 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: Still not mine; still wishing on a star…
 
A/N: I'm making up the New Moon Festival out of whole cloth…seems like a delightful way to spend a moonless summer evening in August, drinking something pleasant and star-gazing with your sweetie…C'mon, if you had Inuyasha all to yourself on a warm summer night…what would you be doing? Seeing stars instead of counting `em, hopefully…
 
The usual OOC alert…
 
The Phoenix Blade: Time Lapse
Chapter Fourteen: Garden Party
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Present Day
 
Kagome thumped downstairs the next morning, festival-minus-two, and pointed ignored the hanyou already ensconced at the breakfast table. She had a kit bag slung over her shoulder. “I won't be home until after seven o'clock, mom. Lord Kogashu is training me in a mock battle I have to fight against the `Spirits of Darkness'…hope they're some old guys that won't make me sweat too much in that kimono…” Snagging an apple from the counter and a piece of toast from Sota's plate, she deliberately barged into Inuyasha's chair with her bag on the way past just as he was taking a drink. “Oopsie…see ya, dog-boy…”
 
“Kagome, dear, do you need lunch?”
 
“Nope…Sensei Shimano is treating me today…”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Twelve hours later, a very sore Celestial Bodyguard killed the ignition on her bike and rolled it away. Pulling off her helmet and running her hand through her hair, she yawned impressively several times on her way across the courtyard. Wearily pushing her way into the house, she was met by effusive concern. “Dear…what did they do to you today? You're exhausted!” Kagome yawned again, and rolled her shoulders.
 
“Lord Kogashu put me through my paces for this mock battle…it was a great workout…I'm starved. Is there any dinner left?”
 
“Go upstairs and get changed, dear…I'll fix you something.”
 
“In other words, dog-boy and Sota ate it all…great.”
 
In her room, Kagome dropped her bag and slowly stripped off her leathers, replacing the pants with sweats. The tee-shirt had already come off in the parking courtyard of the Palace; she left her bra top on. She slowly collapsed to her knees, resting her upper body on her bed, arms outstretched. Her shoulders were killing her, and she knew there were going to be some livid bruises where Lord Kogashu had connected with the bamboo practise katana. She grinned evilly. He was going to be sporting some nasty striping from where she had enthusiastically retaliated. He'd been surprised at how fast she was…
 
Her curtains blew inward, even though there was no wind. She didn't move.
 
“Dammit, dog-boy, don't you ever knock?” Clawed fingers tenderly touched the worst bruising; she flinched, but he didn't take the hint to move away.
 
“What the hell happened to you?” She grunted.
 
“Nothing serious, just a few love-taps…you ought to see the other guy…” She felt, rather than heard, his growl.
 
“Did that Yashita creep do this?” Kagome yawned loudly, and tensed her body…then threw herself into a backwards somersault that had her on her feet in a sparring stance, squaring up to him. She bounced on the balls of her feet, arms loose, fists clenched.
 
“No, it wasn't my sweetie…I've kicked his ass with a katana, too. All in a day's training at the Imperial Military Academy!”
 
“Kagome! Dinner!” She bounded out the door before Inuyasha could reply.
 
“I'm having something to eat, and then taking a bath…with the door locked, dog-boy!”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
The next day, the last before the Festival, was taken up with learning how to manoeuvre gracefully in a long kimono, and manage a cup of sake while not impaling herself on her sword hilt, or tripping over her train. They were taking a break in the Armoury, Shimano supplying them with cold drinks. She and Lord Kogashu were chivvying each other good-naturedly about their respective bruising levels when Lord Sessaki appeared. She immediately bowed, which he gravely returned.
 
“Is Higurashi ready for her duties, Lord Kogashu?”
 
“She certainly is, Lord Sessaki.”
 
“Excellent. Higurashi, a car and driver will pick you up tomorrow at four o'clock. Please be ready in your full regalia…the private ceremonies begin promptly at nine, and I would like you to familiarize yourself with the layout of the gardens beforehand and then join us in the Western Pavilion for a light repast.”
 
“Hai, my lord. I will be ready.” He bowed, and flowed gracefully away down the corridor. Lord Kogashu, leering, gently poked her in the arm, where he knew there was a particularly choice bruise.
 
“Lucky your kimono has long sleeves, Higurashi!” and dodged away, cackling, as she swiped at him…
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Late the next afternoon, Kagome stood in the living room, as patiently as possible with her mother fussing around her. She was already starting to sweat under the lacquered metal armour, leather pants, and two layers of heavy silk. Great outfit for the August heat…I think I'm going to melt!
 
“Oh, Kagome…come, you must pose in front of the shrine for a picture for me…” Her dutiful daughter rolled her eyes.
 
“Mom, didn't you take, like, a thousand photos of me on Graduation Day?”
 
“Yes, dear, but now the lilies are in full bloom out in the pots…”
 
Out the door they went, like a skiff with a particularly colourful sail, across the courtyard. Ojii-chan and Sota stopped wrangling over the placement of the new shrine shop sign to ogle her.
 
“Wow, sis…you look almost like a lady…”
 
“Thanks bunches, Sota…I'll show my appreciation for that compliment later…”
 
Urged by her mother, she ascended the first three stairs of the shrine, and turned outward, facing the courtyard. She was flanked by the two glazed pots overflowing with white lilies. Mrs. Higurashi arranged the back of the kimono so it trailed gracefully down the stairs. Kagome folded her hands inside of her sleeves. Her mother skipped down the stairs to a point about fifteen feet away, raising the camera.
 
“Lovely, dear…turn slightly to the right…no, your right, dear…raise your chin…drop your hands slightly so I can see your sword hilt…good, good…perfect, dear…now, don't move no matter what…”
 
The `no matter what' arrived at her shoulder a split-second later, and her mother snapped the shutter before she could react.
 
“You look exquisite, koishii…the Emperor is a lucky dog,” Inuyasha breathed in her ear, to which he had unimpeded access due to her topknot. She set her shoulders more firmly before she turned to face him. She heard the shutter snap, which distracted her just enough that he was able to extract one of her hands out of her sleeves and bring it to his lips, amber eyes sparkling impishly. Again the camera clicked. Kagome sighed theatrically.
 
“I do so hate a set-up; you're lucky these are my good clothes, dog-boy, or I'd kick your butt for that endearment…” He grinned even wider and since he had already trapped her sword arm, he stepped right up to her and pulled her tight against his chest, catching her other arm behind his back, making it look like they were a pair of lovebirds snuggling up to each other.
 
“Smile for your mother…” She looked over in time for the shutter's clicking, and then he leapt lightly away. She mock-shook her fist at her mother, and then at Inuyasha.
 
“I'll get you, and your little dog too…” The sound of a car announced her exit strategy, as Inuyasha bounded up onto the shrine roof. The liveried driver pulled right up to the steps, and got out to put her bag in the trunk, to help arrange the kimono across the back seat, stow her sword and relieve her of her quiver. Her mom was extremely cheerful as her family waved goodbye en masse.
 
“See you tomorrow night, dear…I'll be wearing my green kimono…”
Hunh?
Gods, she better not be serious…she was invited?
What if she brings dog-boy?
I might have to kill her…
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Yashita was awaiting her at the bottom of the broad staircase of the Imperial Palace's Academy wing. He was nattily attired in a rich midnight blue haori and pristine white juban and hakama; the haori had the Imperial crest on the right breast. He and the driver ushered her out of the car, helping organize her train in elegant folds over her left arm, angle her katana just so, and arrange the quiver on her back so that the serried ranks of feathers were visible over her right shoulder, the bow poking up slightly higher. Yashita carefully stroked her long tail of ironed-straight hair forward over her left shoulder.
 
“Very nice…driver, please take Higurashi's bag to the Crimson Phoenix room in the Imperial wing.”
 
“I have my own room named after me?” He offered her his arm.
 
“One of the perks of being Celestial Bodyguard…shall we?” They paced down a long, cool corridor, towards an elaborate gate at the far end that was standing partially opened. Yashita kept looking at her and smiling; just before they reached the gateway, he stopped her and gently captured her chin in his fingers.
 
“May I kiss you, Kagome?” She smiled back, and fluttered her eyelashes closed when his lips made tender contact. “You are so beautiful…I'm really looking forward to these next couple of days to spend some time with you…” Blushing, she allowed him to slip his arm around her waist, while taking hold of her free hand, as they turned to step through the gate.
 
They stood, shoulder to shoulder, at the top of the stairs, making quite a picture framed against the darkened doorway; that's when Sessaki and Kogashu caught sight of them. Both men twitched visibly, staring at the couple, then looked at each other. “…Déjà vu all over again…” muttered Kogashu.
 
“Let us hope their story has a happy ending…” Sessaki murmured back. “They do make a striking couple…sorry, Koga.”
 
“S'okay…I'm over it…” The men advanced to meet the pair as they descended the stairs to the gravel path, Yashita looking ineffably smug. Kagome bowed deeply and formally, first to Lord Sessaki, resplendent in patterned pewter-grey, and then to Lord Kogashu in rich forest-green, both also adorned with the chrysanthemum crest on their chests. Both gravely returned her bows, then Sessaki held out a long-fingered hand to Kagome.
 
“Let us have a look at you, Higurashi.” She stepped forward, taking the proffered hand, and he pivoted her in a full circle for his and Kogashu's benefit. Yashita stood by, looking like the cat that ate the canary. Sessaki nodded, pleased by her turn-out, and bent his dark head over her hand before releasing it. “Excellent, Higurashi…Yashita, please show the Celestial Bodyguard the Imperial Pavilion, and the venue of the mock battle performance for tomorrow night…dinner will be served in the Western Pavilion in two hours…please be prompt.” This last seemed to be directed primarily at Yashita, who looked the picture of injured innocence. Kagome shot him a sideways glance, then remembered something.
 
“Lord Sessaki…may I ask a question, please?” He raised his finely arched brows at her, waiting. “Is the public invited to this festival?”
 
“No…tomorrow night, a select few families who have connections to the Imperial Palace are admitted to the grounds, but not the general public…any particular reason for this question?”
 
“Just something my mother said as I was leaving…”
 
“Your family is among the invited guests, Higurashi…is there a problem?”
 
I hope not… “No, my lord...” Yashita took her arm again, and began leading her away from the two courtiers.
 
“Come on, Kagome…let me show you the back forty…”
 
He took her deep into the Imperial grounds, which stretched away from the palace in a verdant oasis in the heart of Tokyo. As a cadet, Kagome had only been here on infrequent ceremonial occasions, and never had the freedom to wander. Now, with her hand clasped in Yashita's, she was sure she'd never been more content. In a cool shady spot, he pulled her close and kissed her gently, twining his fingers in her hair where it ribboned over her shoulder.
 
“I wish I could undo this…I prefer your hair loose…”
 
“That would probably breach some protocol or other…better not.”
 
Not in any particular hurry, they investigated the Imperial pavilion, a graceful wooden structure with soaring eaves set partially over a water-lily filled pond. The carp were enormous, at least three feet long, and coloured so brightly they almost didn't look real. The large gravelled area for the mock battle was set off to the side, but still within easy viewing range of the broad veranda. Kagome started feeling a few butterflies in the pit of her stomach…she was going to be performing for the Emperor
 
After perambulating around a bit more of the Imperial landscape, punctuated by frequent kisses amongst the scenery, Yashita led her towards an open-sided pavilion set completely over a pond, connected to shore by a narrow wooden causeway. The path to reach it curved behind a large rhododendron bush, and she wasn't surprised to be captured for another, more lingering kiss. I could get used to this
 
“I have to share you with everyone else now…” he murmured against her lips “…and I'm not sure I want to…” Kagome sighed, and rested her head lightly against his shoulder.
 
“Do you suppose they'd miss us if we slipped out for oden?”
 
“Sessaki would send out the bloodhounds if we disappeared right now…I can see Shimano smirking at us…we'd better go see what's on the menu…”
 
They walked across the causeway, and he guided her into the pavilion. It was cool, with a light breeze wafting the sounds of cicadas and birds in the surrounding vegetation. The tiny `pops' made by the carp breaking the water's surface under the building, and the buzzing of dragonflies were all audible.
 
Cushions were scattered around, and small wooden tables held a large array of lacquered dishes and trays, with silent liveried attendants standing by. Shimano was already there, reclining on the tatami mats, grinning mischievously.
 
“Hey, Higurashi…you don't look nearly flushed enough…nice job, Yashita, dragging her around the grounds on a stinking August afternoon in about forty pounds of gear…” Yashita stooped and tossed a cushion at him, which Shimano fielded easily, chortling.
 
“It was Sessaki's idea…”
 
What was my idea?” The tall courtier, accompanied by Kogashu, ducked his head under the eaves just as Shimano winged the cushion back at Yashita; it went wide and would have hit Sessaki square in the face except for a lightening lunge by Kogashu, who lobbed it back at Yashita.
 
“Trying to stew Higurashi in her own armour plate…”
 
“That is easily remedied…” Sessaki motioned to an attendant; Kagome was relieved of her quiver and the heavy silk was slid from her shoulders, folded and whisked away. Yashita caught her panicked look.
 
“Don't worry…you'll see it again!” She grinned, and pulled her sword out of her obi, laying it alongside her cushion. The kidskin trousers were generously cut, so they were comfortable enough to sit in, but she wished she could unbuckle the greaves and gauntlets. Kogashu must have been a mind reader.
 
“Take off whatever extra armour you want, Higurashi. None of it is required for tonight, and it will all be waiting for you in your room…” She chuckled, and started shucking pieces of lacquered metal. The pile beside her looked like the discarded shells of some enormous crab…She noticed that all their boots had come off, too, so removed hers, and happily wriggled her toes in the thick socks. Now, if only she could take off the breastplate…not in front of this bunch of boys…but she could lose the armoured skirt, with a little help.
 
“Um, Yash, could you please help me with this lacing?” He moved speedily to assist, despite Shimano's tittering in the background.
 
“Don't say a thing, Shimano, or you'll be eating that cushion…” Yashita pulled a cushion up next to hers, and settled there, obviously intending to stay as close to her as possible. Sessaki waved a languid hand; the attendants ghosted among them, pouring cups of sake; Sessaki lead them in a formal toast to the Emperor's health, and then the food was served.
 
Kagome tried a bit of everything, and enjoyed it all. She was completely entertained by the constant back and forth good-natured harassment flying between this group of men who obviously knew each other very well, and enjoyed each other's company. Yashita would pass her particularly choice tidbits now and again from his bowl; she blushed, but accepted the intimate gesture. She noticed Sessaki watching them closely, but there was no disapproval in his glance; rather, a faint smile was hovering around the corners of his mouth.
 
A vivid pink-tinged sky announced the beginning of the evening ceremonial. The food tables were cleared away; fruit was set out and the sake cups refilled, as musicians and a pair of beautifully-costumed dancers filed into the building. The next couple of hours were filled with traditional music and the elegant, restrained performances of the dancers, who came especially from the geisha school in Kyoto for the festival. Yashita sprawled beside her, cutting the pits out of peaches and plums, and sharing the slices with her; she had to concentrate to keep the juice from dripping down her haori or on the mats.
 
Lord Kogashu put his head close to Lord Sessaki's ear; the men quietly conferred for a moment, and then Sessaki clapped his hands to dismiss the entertainment. The performers bowed, then filed out. Lord Sessaki turned to look directly at her.
 
“It is time for the unofficial part that you play in this festival, Higurashi.” Kagome was suddenly nervous; she wasn't due for any activities until tomorrow…? “Come…Shimano, fetch the necessities, please.” Wondering, she pulled on her boots, and picked up her katana. Yashita held out his hand to her and pulled her upright. Her head was aching from the topknot; she wished for a chopstick to give herself a good itch. Casting her eye around the room, she noticed that all of them were wearing the traditional hair-do, except for Yashita, who was sporting his usual bell-ringer braid.
 
They left the pavilion, Lord Kogashu and Yashita pausing to pick up and light long torches left propped against a railing for this purpose. Sessaki took her arm, and they began to head out across the gardens, following a particular path. He didn't seem to be having any trouble seeing in the dim light; after she stumbled a couple of times, he waited for the torchbearers to catch up. She looked up at him; he indicated her topknot. “You may take that out, Higurashi…your scalp must be painful…” As they were illuminated, she released her hair, bending forward to rub her head thoroughly, then straightening quickly to flip her hair down her back. Yashita's eyes met hers; she noticed he swallowed hard.
 
In the flaring torchlight, her black hair tumbling wildly over her shoulders, her grey eyes glowing, the gleaming silver haori open just enough to show the glistening parade armour underneath, she looked every inch a warrior-goddess. Putting her hand to her sword hilt, she smiled crookedly around at the gawping men, and ran a hand through her tresses. “You lot are acting like you've never seen a girl before…”
 
“Never one as beautiful as you, Kagome…” Yashita swiftly asserted his right to escort her, a hand sliding possessively around her shoulders. Kogashu shook himself, and grinned toothily.
 
“An amazing woman…if I were a few years younger…” Yashita glared at him, and edged Kagome farther away. Shimano caught up with them just as Lord Sessaki's cool voice intervened.
 
“Let us continue; we have much ground to cover tonight…”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
They ended up at the Imperial Pavilion. Sessaki gestured to Shimano, who produced a large bundle of arrows. Kagome looked from the arrows to the tall courtier, puzzled. He smiled encouragingly at her.
 
“Traditionally, a sacred barrier needs to be set around these precincts, Higurashi…use the arrows to create one, please.” She gulped.
 
“Shouldn't a priest be doing this?” She was surprised by his answer.
 
“Are you not next in line to be the priestess of your shrine?”
 
“I-I guess so…” She reached a trembling hand to take the arrow proffered her by a smirking Shimano. Hesitating, she looked to Yashita for support; he urged her on with a soft smile. Licking dry lips, she met Sessaki's calm gaze.
 
“H-how did you know I even have the power…?”
 
“Your pedigree as a member of the family linked to the Shikon Jewel in centuries past, and well-known for their abilities, indicated to us that the possibilities were very high that you had inherited a great deal of spiritual power…did you never wonder as to why you were invited to join the Academy?” She blushed, and started twirling the arrow between her fingers. A thought flashed through her mind. It must be someone in this group who knew what she was up to in the Sengoku Jidai… Shyly she looked around at the waiting men.
 
“Which colour do you want?” That seemed to startle them. “I can do pink or silver…I'm still working on both at the same time.” Sessaki coughed.
 
“Silver would be more than adequate, I believe…”
 
“Are there any particular words I should use in the incantation?” They all looked at each other.
 
“`Demon begone' usually does the trick…” ventured Shimano. Kagome frowned thoughtfully as she flared the arrow; she didn't notice Sessaki flinch slightly.
 
“Umm…is this the traditional wording? There aren't any demons nowadays…are there?”
 
Shimano grinned at her cheekily. “You never can tell…better to be safe than sorry!”
 
Kagome arched her brows at him. “How about `evil demons begone'?”
 
“Aren't all demons, by definition, evil?” Kogashu asked, a tinge of ironic humour sneaking into his tone. Kagome eyed him askance.
 
“No…just like not all humans are automatically good… having demons around certainly would explain some of the horrendous things on the news these days… `evil demons begone' it is, then…”
 
She worked hard for the next hour, flaming and planting arrows in a clearly defined perimeter marked out for her by Lords Sessaki and Kogashu. When they were done, the area now protected would amply fit the small crowd expected for the next evening's festivities. The torches were guttering low by the time they all arrived back at the Western Pavilion, which was lit softly by oil lamps. Drinks were passed around, and Kagome gratefully flopped onto the cool wood of the veranda, wincing when her backplate audibly collided with the planking.
 
Yashita leaned over her, his braid sweeping across his shoulder to thump the decking lightly beside her. She caught her breath. Is he going to kiss me in front of everybody? He slid an arm under her, lifting her close to him… and positioned a cushion under her head. “No need to be uncomfortable while looking for shooting stars…” She smiled up at him, and his breath caught in his throat. He hovered over her for a moment longer, drinking in the soft eyes, nearly black in the dim light, the sensuous full lips, her enticing scent filling his nose…before he rolled onto his back beside her, shoving a cushion under his own head. Their fingers found each other, entwined, and held each other tightly.
 
Yashita couldn't believe how relaxed and content he was…even happy. His Kagome was beside him, and he was reasonably sure that if they didn't have three chaperones watching them like hawks, she wouldn't object to an even closer embrace. He turned his head to watch her; she was scanning the night sky, but then snuck a look at him; seeing him catch her peeking, she fluttered her eyes closed for a moment. There was definitely a blush happening over there… out of the corner of his eye, he saw a streak of light. “Look! Right there!” He raised his arm, pointing…and they followed the arc of a meteor striking the Earth's atmosphere.
 
“Did you wish on it?” Her voice was low and husky. Oh, boy, did he ever… Starlight, starbright, first star I see tonight; I wish I may, I wish I might…to have the wish I wish tonight…that Kagome will be mine forever more
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Kagome slept, dreaming gently, in the Crimson Phoenix Room. The star-gazing party had broken up around midnight; she was escorted to her room by the entire group, as they were all staying on the same floor. The other three had wished her goodnight, Sessaki going so far as to give her a courtly kiss on the hand; Kogashu looked like he thought about following suit, but then changed his mind for some reason at the last second. Shimano just gave her a cheeky smile and a wave. Yashita waited until the corridor was clear of prying eyes; she was blushing furiously.
 
He turned towards her, and took both of her hands in his. “Kagome…I really, really enjoyed being with you…may I kiss you goodnight?” She was already tilting her face up to his; her answer was lost in his mouth. He was careful not to forget himself; he kept the kiss tender and gentle, even though a voice at the back of his head was screaming and yelling something about not missing this opportunity…
 
Kagome sensed Yashita was holding back; she didn't mind, because she wasn't exactly sure how far she wanted to go with him, never mind how fast. He seemed so right; he was gentle, sensitive, absolutely gorgeous to look at… rode a kick-ass motorcycle and she knew he could be very powerful as well…she'd been infuriated, challenged and bawled out enough times by him as a cadet. But…
 
What about Inuyasha?
Inuyasha…
He could be all those things, too
I know that Yashita doesn't have Kikyo issues…
Ummm…
Yashita also doesn't think I'm just a shard detector…hell, he doesn't even know what shards are!
Ouch
 
Who did Kagome dream of? An amber-eyed hanyou with silver hair and velvety dog ears, but his personality had somehow fused with a dark-eyed, dark-haired human, so that Inuyasha looked like himself, but talked to her like Yashita…
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Very early the next morning, a silent watcher made his move. The louvered wooden shutters covering Kagome's windows opened, and a red-clad figure slid into the room on silent bare feet. He'd waited on the lee side of the roof for hours after dark, straining his nostrils for her scent. Finally, he'd been rewarded, hearing the approach of the group, Kagome among them. He'd had trouble restraining himself, when he could tell that Yashita person was very, very close to Kagome, but relaxed when she entered the room alone. It was hard seeing anything through the shutters, but it was obvious when she turned out the light. He waited until her breathing steadied, and then waited a little longer. It wouldn't be a good idea to scare her…
 
He slipped alongside the futon, and smiled softly. She'd managed to locate a pillow from somewhere…she really hated sleeping without one of those things. She was on her side, one hand curled around the edge of the pillow, and the other holding the sheet against her chest, her dark hair spread over the pillow and trailing off the edge of the futon. He loved looking at her sleeping face; the dark lashes fanning across her cheeks, the way her lips parted and moved when she dreamed. Did she dream about him? Sometimes…he heard her sigh his name, and smile a little in her sleep… he was having trouble screwing up the courage to admit to her that he had begun to love her deeply and fiercely, that he wanted to make her his…well, the last part he admitted, but she was wary of Kikyo…and the shard detector comment obviously didn't help. …What if she turned him down?
 
At that precise moment, he realized Kagome was naked.
 
The sheet may have been tucked up to her chin in front, but she was getting a hell of a draft in behind. He swallowed hard, leaned over her, and gingerly grasped the sheet in his claws to pull it up at least to her waist. She stirred, sighing, and rolled onto her back…and the sheet didn't come with her. He froze, as she arched herself slightly and presented him with a lover's view of her breasts, her small waist and the soft dark curls of her sex. Her scent drifted up to him…like flowers blooming in the summer night, and he dipped his head closer to inhale deeply. His eye was drawn inexorably to the dark triangle between her hips, and before he thought about it, he was hovering just above her, inhaling her secret scent, a warmer, deeper muskier version that made his head spin. Shaking just a little, he decided he'd better move away before he really got himself in trouble…and then he realized she had pinned his sleeve under her hips.
 
I am way beyond dead, if she wakes up.
But what a way to go
Think, dammit, think!
Relax, and enjoy the view…a condemned man ought to savour his last hours
You're even more perverted than the monk!
I resent that remark…the monk would have been in Paradise and then died by now
Isn't that supposed to be the other way around?
*leers* You die your way, I'll die mine
 
He leaned back over her, trying to gauge just how stuck his sleeve was, when he was distracted by Kagome shivering in her sleep. Her nipples stood up proud…damn…Inuyasha found himself licking his lips... Her fingers flexed, and moved jerkily over her body, searching for warmth…and found his hair where it fell over his shoulder and across her hips. Oh, shit…Wide-eyed with panic, he watched her `pull up' his hair, and then settle back to a deeper sleep, a soft smile on her lips.
 
If he lived to be a thousand, he would never, ever forget the sight of Kagome swathed in his hair so that it appeared the irregular swirls were merely elaborate embroidery on her skin.
 
Carefully, he laid down beside her, awkwardly moving the Tetsusaiga around behind his back. He pulled the sheet over her and waited until she had warmed before carefully whisking his hair off of her. He ended up with his cheek against her bare shoulder, but that was okay…her skin was deliciously scented, and he would have a good sensory memory while he was pounded through at least two floors and the stone foundations…
 
He stayed in his position until another delicate sigh indicated something was going to happen…he squeezed his eyes shut, fearing the worst, and wondering if he should cover his ears to protect them from the formidable yell that was sure to erupt. Instead, a kindly goddess or two took pity on him…Kagome rolled onto her side…away from him. He reacted fast enough to pull his sleeve out of the way, but before he savoured his miraculous release, he finished what he started out to do…by tucking the sheet up around her shoulders, and following it with a soft blanket that had been kicked to the foot of the bed when she originally climbed in.
 
Then, Inuyasha carefully sat back, wiping his brow and thanking the gods, before he moved to the end of the futon, Tetsusaiga cradled against his shoulder. Looking towards the window, he noted the very faint lightening of the horizon; dawn was almost here. He had spent the night with his Kagome and made sure she was safe; he wouldn't be able to do the same tomorrow night, unless she invited him to stay with her. He almost smiled at that. Keh, as if she'd ever ask him to stay…damn…how was he going to prove to her that she was his chosen one? Keep your damn foot out of your mouth, for starters… He had to go…he slid up the futon and gently pressed his lips to her brow, tucking a few stray strands behind her ear, then crossed the room on cat's feet. He lightly leapt out the window, pausing to close the shutters behind him. Only the very earliest risers, or the very latest to go to bed, had a chance of glimpsing the red blur as it traced an unerring path back towards the Sunset Shrine…
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
In the room next to Kagome's, Yashita finally stood down from his midnight watch. He knew that the pup had left her, after staying with her for most of the night. He also knew that nothing had happened, even though he had done his damnedest to make sure the pup knew he had touched Kagome; he was beginning to wonder if he could wait it out for the pup to finally mate the girl, or if he was going to have to do it himself…no, he could wait. Sesshomaru would make sure he was incapable of fathering anything if he took Kagome now…