InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Phoenix Blade: Time Lapse ❯ Seeing Stars ( Chapter 15 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: Still not mine; *sighs* This New Moon Festival sequence is mine, however…thinking about sending out invites…
 
A/N: The usual OOC alert and an eensy bit of lemon fluff…
 
The Phoenix Blade: Time Lapse
Chapter Fifteen: Seeing Stars
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Present Day
 
 
Reveille came a little too early for Kagome's liking. Her door slammed open, and an excessively cheery Shimano bounced in.
 
“Morning sunshine! Brekkie at 0800...” She groggily made sure she was covered up…it was like being back in the barracks, minus the farting… Shimano opened her shutters, and as she sat up, wrapping the blanket around her, blinking blearily, he mussed her hair familiarly before going out the door. He reappeared a moment later with a servant in tow, who carried a bucket of steaming water, a basin and a pile of folded cloth. “Don't be late, or there won't be much left other than miso soup…Kogashu says he's hungry this morning…” The servant bowed, and left her, closing the door firmly.
 
Yawning and stretching, Kagome let the blanket fall away…and her eye was caught by something glimmering across the top of her thigh, tangled in her dark curls. She captured it, and drew it out…a long, long strand of silver…Inuyasha had been here? Cautiously, she checked herself over for any signs of activity she didn't recall engaging in…nothing. Hmmmm. She cast around for her sword. Locating it, she cut the strand into three roughly equal pieces and quickly worked it into a thin braid. She twisted it around her wrist several times, and knotted it off. Now she wouldn't lose the evidence…
 
She washed up quickly, and was about to reach for her parade armour when she realized that part of the bundle left by the servant included clothing. It was a deep red haori, white juban and white hakama, the Imperial crest over the heart. Looks like I'm part of the club nowwonder if there's a secret handshake… There was even a matching strip of silk for her hair. She brushed her mop into some semblance of order and tied it back, then wrapped the obi around her waist. Instead of winding it up so the ends were non-existent and therefore battle-ready, she left them reaching to her knees, but gave up on the intricate knot Sessaki had tied on Graduation Day. She positioned the sword above her left hip, but left the quiver behind, as she wasn't using her bow and arrows in the performance.
 
Yashita was waiting for her, lounging against the opposite wall. “Good morning, beautiful…sleep well?” She made a face.
 
“Think so…” He quirked an eyebrow. She shrugged. “Interesting dreams….”
 
“About me?”
 
She chuckled, and gently hip-checked him before slipping her hand into his. “Maybe…”
 
They walked companionably down the stairs, through a gateway, and out into the garden. Breakfast was being served in a different pavilion, this one oriented with a distant view of an arched bridge over a gurgling stream, bounded by willows and maples. The air was fresh, but gave promise of heat later in the day.
 
Shimano passed her a bowl of fruit; Kogashu pushed some rice porridge her way, grinning. “Eat up, Higurashi…you've a busy day ahead of you…” She raised her eyebrows at him, since she was munching a piece of melon. “You're going to work out with the boys you'll be sparring with tonight to refine the moves.” Swallowing, Kagome nodded. Kogashu's grin became positively evil. “I've told them not to give you any new bruises…”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
An hour later, Kagome was waiting at the edge of the gravelled area, listening with half an ear to Lord Sessaki. He was retying her obi, and explaining the tradition of, and the meaning behind this whole exercise, when the crunch of gravel caught their attention. Lord Kogashu approached, with two younger men trailing along behind him. He stopped, fists on hips, grinning cockily. The two men looked morose. He grabbed an arm apiece, and shoved them forward. They bowed to Lord Sessaki and Kagome, but made no move to step into the area.
 
“C'mon you two idiots. She's not going to hurt you…too badly.” Surprisingly enough, that didn't seem to help. Kagome smiled brightly and stepped forward.
 
“Good morning…I understand we'll be sparring tonight?” They shuffled their feet and looked at her shyly.
 
“These two talkative types are Gen and Hake…they're the Spirits of Darkness, Higurashi…”
 
“More like the Spirits of Denseness, Kogashu!” called out Yashita from the veranda of the Imperial Pavilion. Kogashu replied with a rude gesture, and Yashita chortled; Sessaki rolled his eyes. Gen and Hake glared over at Yashita, then as if suddenly remembering something, went rigid. Kagome cocked her head to one side, perplexed at their attitude, and then looked at Kogashu.
 
“Well, who starts first? I thought it was them…” He nodded, and poked Hake in the back.
 
“You first, you lucky bastard…” Hake edged tentatively forward. Kagome ground her teeth, and abruptly whipped out her sword. Hake leaped into the air and ducked behind Kogashu, tripping over Gen who was already there. Dumbfounded, Kagome let her sword tip drop towards the ground, and looked over at Sessaki. He was glaring at Kogashu, who was an interesting shade of red. Kagome remembered a similar colour from her cadet career…and wondered where the best place to take cover would be. Behind Sessaki was looking pretty good…
 
Lord Sessaki gripped her elbow and rapidly steered her away from the trio. Yashita stepped down from the veranda as they passed, taking up position behind them. “I believe Lord Kogashu may wish to have a private word or two with his men…”
 
“Pardon me for saying so, my lord, but it won't be private if they can hear it in Yokohama!”
 
“Quite so, Higurashi, quite so…Yashita, perhaps you and Higurashi could see if Shimano needs assistance in the Armoury…this may take some time to sort out.”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Kagome and Yashita were heading down the cool corridors towards the Armoury when he suddenly tugged her into the open doorway of a kendo room, and pulled her around the corner into his arms. He looked down at the grey-eyed girl as she slipped her own arms under his to loosely encircle his waist. “Kagome…I finally got you alone again…”
 
She giggled, and leaned against him. “You can thank Lord Kogashu later…” He nudged her cheek with his chin, to get her to look up at him, then kissed her thoroughly. Her mouth was warm and sweet; he lost himself for a few moments. Her eyes were sea-misted when he pulled back; tucking her head under his chin, he cradled her while he got a grip on himself. It was a bit of an effort, and she wasn't helping by tracing little circles on his back, but he managed, somehow.
 
“So…what exactly did you have in mind by coming in here…besides private smooching, of course?” Her voice had a mischievous lilt to it.
 
He shifted his grip to run one hand up her spine, under her hair and cup the back of her head, while snugging her even closer with the other. “Well, a couple of things come to mind…” he breathed in her ear; her body tensed warningly, so he changed his mind, “…but we'd have to undo that knot Sessaki tied in your obi, and trust me, he'll know if it's been tampered with…so how about we play around with some swords to pass the time?” She started giggling helplessly; he was puzzled. Shaking with mirth, she got a hold of herself, and pushed away from him gently, wiping her eyes.
 
“Sorry…the way you said that reminded me of something…sure, I'm up for a little swordplay…”
 
They slid open all the screens down the garden-side wall, letting in as much air as possible. Yashita took down two wooden practise katanas, polished to a sheen. Kagome removed her sword from her obi, and hung it on one of the empty sets of brackets. She then pulled the sleeves of the red haori and juban back, and tucked them firmly into the obi, freeing her arms past the elbow. She was about to take up a stance, when Yashita caught her wrist, inspecting the fine silver braid. He raised his eyes to hers; she smiled brightly. “Isn't that the coolest colour you've ever seen? I found it over by the stables a while ago…I didn't know Lord Tekko had imported a palomino from the United States…” He looked like he was about to say something, but let it drop, giving her palm a kiss instead.
 
They squared off, and bowed formally…and then began circling each other. Kagome had become a mistress of timing, thanks to the youkai in the Sengoku Jidai. She crouched, prowling like a cat, keeping her feet under her at all times, waiting for Yashita to make a move. He finally drove in an attack; she parried his thrust and struck him lightly in the arm on the way past, then crouched and circled again. He tried to fake her out; she saw through it and avoided the first strike, but his counterattack caught her in the hip. Yashita paused, wiping sweat, and grinned. “Bodyguard 1, Sensei 1…”
 
Kagome snickered, and lined up her katana. “Not for long…” His grin became a smirk, and he stepped out of the combat circle. Making sure he had her undivided attention, he slowly peeled off his haori and juban and dropped them on a bench. Curling her lip, but with a twinkle in her eye, Kagome pivoted into an attack stance. “Fighting dirty, eh? Won't help improve your score, since we're not counting eye candy…” He sauntered back into the circle…gods, he really was an eyeful…and almost casually took up a defensive stance.
 
“Let's see how good your concentration is, Kagome…”
 
“If you're really lucky, I'll kiss you better after I kick your ass…”
 
He had the nerve to chuckle arrogantly. “Kiss my ass? I'll hold you to that, Bodyguard…”
 
Kagome grinned fiercely, and dove at him, her wooden katana whirling; he had to work extremely hard, even with his regular speed, to parry all her attacks. She wove a net around him…how the hell did she get so fast? Koga was right… Glad it isn't her damn fang... keeping him on the defensive, and then she started making hits. She spun away, just out of range, and charged him again, pressing home an attack that ended with him off-balance, with only one foot still inside the combat circle, and the two of them clashing hilt to hilt. Her grey eyes boring into his, she smiled through her teeth, and abruptly broke away. Yashita was now over-balanced…he staggered, and she swept the katana at his knees to drop him; he somehow managed to twist face-up…and found himself flat on his back, a wooden blade across his throat, and a gimlet-eyed Amazon kneeling on his chest. She waggled her eyebrows at him, panting lightly.
 
“Though you made an attractive attempt, I don't distract easily…you should have tried it the first time we sparred when I was a cadet…guaranteed you would have knocked me off my feet…” The sound of applause snapped their eyes to the door. Sessaki, Kogashu, and Shimano plus assorted bystanders crowded the doorway, clapping and whistling. The two combatants looked askance at each other. Kagome, smiling, slid off Yashita, offering her hand to him as they stood up. They bowed their heads briefly to acknowledge the applause.
 
“Mangy show-off,” muttered Kogashu, so that only Sessaki and Shimano could hear him. Yashita's eyes flickered to him; damn that inu-youkai hearing!
 
Yashita stepped behind Kagome, facing the courtiers as they entered the room, but dropped one hand onto her shoulder, the sword in his other hand almost casually angled across her legs. Yashita's whole stance was easily interpreted by all the onlookers, demon, hanyou and human alike and summed up in one word: Mine. Kogashu fell a step back, acknowledging the unspoken challenge. Shimano winked broadly. Sessaki merely nodded thoughtfully, then spoke.
 
“Kogashu's men are not quite up for the stress of this evening's performance…from what I have just witnessed, I think we have found a suitable replacement…” Kagome squeaked; Yashita smirked, tightening his grip on her shoulder. His intention for a full-on rematch was quickly quashed by Sessaki's next words. “Remember, Yashita, the Celestial Bodyguard always wins…”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
After a delightful al fresco lunch of goodies in bento boxes and cold Asahi beer in the Western Pavilion, Kagome excused herself for a nap, hoping to escape the afternoon heat. On the way to the Imperial wing, she encountered the same servant who had brought her the water and clothing in the morning, and was told that the bathhouse would be ready to receive female guests at 1600 hours. That left her with a leisurely three hour nap to enjoy…
 
Her windows faced east, so the heat of the day was on the opposite side of the building. Sliding the door closed with a firm `click', she wedged the locking bolt into place at the bottom, and started taking off clothing. She really wasn't looking forward to putting on all the layers for her bodyguard outfit, so she was going to enjoy this brief respite.
 
The futon had been left unrolled, and the linens had been straightened; it was almost a shame to rumple it up again; an even bigger shame she was alone. Oh, wellmaybe her dreams would be better this afternoon…she slipped naked between the cool sheets, and snuggled into the pillow. The first image that popped into her head was Inuyasha, his torso bared in the cave, holding out his juban to her, that smirk on his handsome face. The second image was of the naked hanyou in her bathroom, his red hakama pooling on the floor, his golden eyes molten…damn! At this rate she wouldn't be getting any sleep at all! She raised her wrist in front of her eyes to consider the silver braid…dog-boy had been here in the night, that was for sure…wonder what he was doing?
 
Watching over you, like he always does
How'd his hair get into my crotch?
He must have been very gentle for you not to wake up
That is so not funny!
You know he really cares about you
I care about him, too…it's just…
Don't be too afraid of getting hurt to even risk an attempt
But there's Kikyo…and the shards…and Yashita…
You're just using those as excuses.
They're my excuses and I'm sticking with `em…Inuyasha's my friend, my comrade, my…
Lover?
Not yet…gaaah! How'd we get to there?
::snickers quietly::
You be quiet! …I wonder how much chaos will ensue if he comes tonight?...
Depends on how loud you're moaning at the same time
Aagh! Damn dirty mind…definitely having a bath…
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Running her hands through her hair, yawning deeply, Kagome shuffled down the stairs, wrapped only in her haori and carrying her towel and facecloth, heading for the bathhouse. Shimano was sitting at the bottom of the flight, chewing on his usual lollipop stick and perusing a book. He grinned when he saw her muzzy-faced descent, and got up to take her elbow. “Don't want the Bodyguard tripping over herself when she has an opportunity to take Yashita down in public tonight…” He led her outside, down a gravelled path, and up to the wooden doorway of the bathhouse. “I think you may be alone in there, Higurashi…they didn't have to institute special ladies'-only hours before you came along. I'll stand guard outside, in case somebody didn't read the notice…”
 
“Thanks, Shimano…are you sure you don't have something you'd rather be doing?”
 
“Sitting in the sun on a summer afternoon, reading a book…beats sitting in front of a computer screen listening to a bunch of cadets moaning about their love lives, or lack thereof…though the bits they make up are kind of entertaining…”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Forty-five minutes later, Kagome re-emerged, cleaned and refreshed, and ready to tackle anything…especially dinner. Shimano was still in position, but he had moved to the shade, the thoroughly cleaned lollipop stick on the step beside him. He looked up at her, his cheerful grin the happiest she'd seen in a while. She plopped down beside him, wrapping her arms around her knees. “So…where's Yashita?”
 
“Kogashu and Sessaki took him off somewhere to teach him the countermoves to your part of the show tonight…and probably to tease the living daylights out of him for you doing that pretty impressive takedown on him this morning. He sure didn't teach you any moves like that…what the heck have you been up to lately? Your speed was amazing, not to mention your strength…I haven't seen anybody go hilt to hilt with him for, oh, years!”
 
Kagome smiled softly, finding her toes very interesting. “Remember, sensei…ask me no questions, I'll tell you no lies.” Shimano chuckled.
 
“I didn't think you'd crack that easily...but damn, I'm dying to know!” He turned very serious, very suddenly. “If you find yourself in over your head, Higurashi, you know you can come to any of us…we'd do anything for you, understand? You mean a lot to all of us…” She flashed wide eyes at him, and for one moment, he thought she might spill, but then she just smiled brilliantly.
 
“Thanks, sensei…for everything, not just guarding the door for me.”
 
“No problem, O Celestial One…your dresser is probably waiting for you in your room…”
 
“My…what?”
 
“What, you were going to put on that load of gear by yourself? How were you going to do up the lacing on the breastplate? Mind you, I'm sure Yashita wouldn't mind volunteering…of course, he'd be more interested in helping you take it off…Ouch!” Wincing, he rubbed his ear where he'd been biffed, then grinning as he watched her flounce off. Ah, it was like old times….
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Kagome had to admit, the dresser knew his stuff. Once she had gotten over the minor shock that it was indeed a man who would be helping her into her regalia, and a bit of momentary awkwardness until he indicated the screen that had been set up for her to slip into her underwear, and then hold the breastplate over her bare chest, things went swimmingly. He was fast and efficient, although a bit fluttery, lacing and tying all the complicated leather thongs and silk cordings correctly the first time, twittering over the smallest details. She was most impressed with how he carefully twisted and pinned her topknot before securing it with the leather thongs, with the result that it didn't pull so hard on her scalp from the weight of her hair. He did, however, scowl at her obi, and grumble about its condition. Kagome reflected, briefly, on just how many times it had demon guts, gore and blood or just plain old dirt washed out of it in the past two months. She thought it was holding up rather well. The dresser was not amused; he tapped his tabi-clad foot thoughtfully, holding his chin in his fingers, eyes darting about the room, the offending piece of silk draped over his arm.
 
“Excuse me for one moment, please, Higurashi-san…this simply won't do at all…”He bowed out of her room, and disappeared down the hall. Kagome rolled her shoulders and stretched, wriggling in the kidskin-lined cuirass like a snake in an itchy skin. The armoured skirt had been re-laced to the bottom edge; she inspected the lacquer for signs of the damage incurred in her battle with the caterpillar youkai, and the crow youkais. The Imperial workshops knew their stuff…not even a scratch remained. She dropped down cross-legged on the edge of the futon, muscles loose, hands relaxed in her lap, and closed her eyes, going over the sequence of events for this evening.
 
She had to escort the Imperial family from their private quarters through the gardens to the Imperial Pavilion. Then, she would take up a seated position at the very edge of the veranda, basically staying motionless for the next couple of hours during the music and entertainment portion. At a signal from Lord Sessaki, she would rise to answer the challenge of the Spirits…wait, make that the Spirit of Darkness…and go through the regimented steps of the `dance' they were to perform. After that, a little star-gazing and sake, then she got out of the way while the guardsmen took over the escorting duties back to the private quarters. Okay… walk, sit, spar, drink…she could handle that.
 
Her dresser arrived back in the room, triumphantly waving a brightly coloured piece of silk in his hand and looking very pleased with himself. Kagome eyed it dubiously. It wasn't red-and-gold…instead, it was gold-and-violet, and at least ten feet long. The dresser was positively chortling to himself as he wrapped it twice around her waist, and then draped two loops around the curve of her hips, finally securing it all together at the waist with that elaborate knot, so she didn't have to search out Lord Sessaki to tie it for her like a two-year-old who couldn't do up their own hakama… The ends hung down past her knees. A thought occurred to her.
 
“Ummm…excuse me, but does this colour and length of obi violate any regulation or other?” The dresser met her with beady dark eyes; Kagome was struck by his resemblance to a sparrow. He smiled.
 
“No, Higurashi-san…it has been approved by Lord Sessaki himself.” She smiled back.
 
“Well, all right then…”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
The dresser followed her out the door and down the hall, carrying the folded crimson kimono and her quiver. She didn't need to don it until the end of the meal, so no point in sweating or spilling needlessly. Lord Sessaki was waiting for her at the door of his own room, dressed as Imperial First Sword in dark blue haori and hakama; she stopped, straightening herself like she was being inspected and held herself at battle-ready stance, eyes front, and hand resting lightly on her sword hilt. He circled her once, nodding, and was about to say something when a loud wolf whistle split the air. Lord Kogashu swaggered up, leering broadly, dressed in deep chocolate brown as Imperial First Spear. He also circled her, but he was a little too close…she held herself very still, until what she swore was a growl rumbled through the corridor.
 
Lord Kogashu was in front of her, his grin still very cocky, but he was looking past her at someone, who dropped a strong, long-fingered hand onto her shoulder. Yashita…he was looking very intently at Kogashu, who held up his hands and backed off another step. “Relax, Yash…just showing my appreciation of the Bodyguard's turnout…very impressive, by the way, Higurashi…like the new obi.”
 
“Uh, thanks, sir…my old one didn't pass muster…”
 
Yashita stepped level with her, dressed in a black outfit, as Shimano arrived, resplendent in shades of green. All of them had the golden chrysanthemum on their chests, and all of them, except Shimano, were wearing antique katanas at their hips. Kagome thought they'd all make a lovely museum display…Yashita slipped the hand on her shoulder down to her hand; she smiled at him, as Sessaki led the way down the stairs, Kogashu at his right hand. Yashita brushed a light kiss on her palm as they started their descent; they couldn't fail to hear the squeak of surprise from the dresser behind them. Kagome wondered, but then forgot about it as her stomach rumbled audibly the closer they came to the dining pavilion. That must have been the sound up in the corridor, and I just didn't realize it was me
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Kagome was now swathed in her crimson robe, quiver in place on her back, kneeling at the edge of the Imperial Pavilion's veranda. She'd managed to fulfill her escort duties by bringing the Imperial family from the Palace to this spot without mishap, sweating bullets all the way. The small crowd were respectful and silent, bowing deeply as the Imperial party passed, the Emperor and Empress bestowing gracious smiles and waving polite greetings to their guests. Kagome didn't even try to pick her family out from the crowd; praying she didn't hear a loud “Oi! Wench!” from anywhere in the near vicinity as she passed. However, she did feel…a prickling sensation. A Jewel shard?
 
Now there were music and dance performances on the gravelled area, and she was trying to stay focussed and non-crippled so that she could give a fairly decent attempt at sparring when her turn came. That moment was all too soon; the sky darkened into dusky shades, and then Lord Sessaki flashed his sword in the last gleam of sunlight. Instantly, torches were lit, and she prepared to rise to her feet…stopping herself from hopping around cursing as the blood rushed into her legs.
 
Slowly, she stepped down from the veranda, as a muffled drum took up a cadenced beat. She stopped at the edge of the gravel, poised and waiting, the red kimono flaming in the light of the torches. Surprisingly, instead of nervous, she was completely relaxed. Probably because it's Yashita…he won't mess up, `cause he'll never hear the end of it, otherwise
 
At Lord Sessaki's nod, she stepped into the combat area and drew her sword, describing a long, slow arc with it in the air as she began the kata, moving in time to the drumbeat, speeding up and slowing down as it dictated, turning the ancient movements into a stately dance. At the appropriate moment, a black-hooded figure stepped into the arena, also drawing a sword. She paused, waited until Yashita made the first move, and then engaged him, trying to keep everything together and keep pace with the drumbeat. Feint, retreat, parry, lunge…feint, retreat, parry, lunge, strike…repeat. Their swords clashed loudly, sparks actually flying, much to the crowd's apparent delight. The Jewel shard pinged on her consciousness again. She pushed it away, concentrating on the movement of her blade. To finish, Kagome made a swift, swirling, very showy attack that ended with the blade carefully across Yashita's throat and him on his knees in a pose of submission. The crowd politely applauded; Kagome and Yashita bowed formally to the Emperor and then to each other, and finally to the audience.
 
They walked off the combat area towards Lord Sessaki, Yashita pulling off the hood. The tall courtier gripped both of them by the shoulders. “Excellent work…you may visit with your family, Higurashi…I believe they are on the outskirts of the crowd, over to the right…” Yashita began walking her over, through the milling people. They were stopped several times by guests wanting photographs.
 
In the middle of their passage, Yashita stopped suddenly. He gave her arm a squeeze and released it. “I have to check on something, Kagome…I'll see you later…” He veered off to the left, leaving her more than a little surprised. Shrugging, she kept forging ahead, graciously acceding to more photographs.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Kogashu intercepted Yashita. “Why are you leaving Kagome unprotected, dog-breath?” Yashita indicated the small group waiting at the back of the crowd with his thumb. Kogashu squinted a bit; his eyes then widened, turning slightly blue in shock. “Is that…is that who I think it is?
 
“Uh-huh…it's the night of the new moon, so the pup is in human form, just like me…”
 
Kogashu could hardly take his eyes away from the red-clad, dark-haired hanyou. “I get it…you look the most alike tonight, so you don't want to be side by side for comparison…” Yashita just nodded, drooping slightly. Kogashu, noticing, poked him in the ribs. “C'mon, mutt-face…let's go get a cold beer…tough to lose your woman to yourself…”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Kagome was finally able to move more freely through the crowd, as people found vantage points to sit before the torches were doused to permit star-gazing. She wove through knots of people, looking for her mother's leaf-green kimono and hopefully, not a flaming scarlet haori. She finally spotted her mother on the edge of the crowd…with a red haori at her side. Sighing, Kagome headed towards them. He'd behaved himself so far
 
“Dear! That was wonderful! I didn't realize you would be doing those old katas like your father used to…wasn't Kagome lovely, Ojii-chan?” Her grandfather was actually looking a little damp-eyed as he smiled toothlessly at her. Sota was standing tall and proud next to Inuyasha, imitating his hero's cross-armed stance. The hanyou was smirking at her from under his black bangs, letting her see him giving her a thorough once-over. Boy, she was going to wipe that smirk off his face when she demanded an explanation for the hair twisted around her wrist
 
“Was that Yashita-san you were sparring with, dear?” Kagome nodded, preoccupied with the prickling sensation of a nearby shard. “I thought so…that braid of his really does give him away.” The sensation was definitely stronger, and coming from…Inuyasha? Not to mention a growl
 
The torches were doused almost at that moment, forcing all of them to sit down quickly in the dark. Kagome cursed softly, trying to gather up her train and find an unoccupied patch of ground in the darkness to sit on. A familiar presence arrived close behind her; an arm slipped around her waist, and a hand took hers. She was pulled back against a strong chest, and warm breath tickled her ear.
 
“Keh! You were pretty impressive there, wench…would have liked to see you really fight Yashita, though.”
 
“I did this morning…kicked his ass, too.” She whispered back, suddenly wondering why it didn't feel particularly weird to go from being cradled by Yashita to being cuddled by Inuyasha. That thought fled when he pressed soft lips to her ear, and then kissed down the side of her neck, her quiver biting into her shoulder blade. She yipped, and pushed away a little. “Not in front of the Emperor, dog-boy…” Or my mother
 
“S'dark…they can't see anything, but if you're feeling shy I can fix that…” Oh, no, where'd she heard thatbefore… he carefully manoeuvred her past Sota and into the lilac bush behind them, turning her around to face him. Indignantly, Kagome was fumbling her hand free to poke him in the chest and give him a choice piece of her mind, when Inuyasha took the opportunity to kiss her into submission. Damn him and his brain-scrambling kisses anyways…when she placed a hand flat over his heart preparatory to pushing away, another sensation zapped her. Startled, she broke the kiss, staring at the violet-pink glow emanating from his chest in the darkness.
 
“What?...you brought the Jewel shards with you?...Are you nuts, dog-boy?” she hissed in disbelief. He didn't give up his grip on her; in fact, he pulled her hips flat against his, and kissed her again, using her surprised gasp as a chance to slip his tongue into her mouth. She jerked her head back, eyes wide, not so much at the kiss, but at the presence of the shards. Much to his amusement, she began fumbling at his waist, over his left hip, with her other hand. “Where the hell's Tetsusaiga?”
 
He scoffed gently at her. “It's the night of the New Moon, remember, wench? Didja think your mom dyed my hair, or something?” She subsided, tilting her face up to his in the starlight, reaching to stroke up through his hair to the ears that weren't there.
 
Inuyasha smiled crookedly down at her, his dark violet eyes black in the darkness. Damn, but he couldn't even smell her scent…and he'd been looking forward to it all day. “I brought the shards, but left the sword…it isn't going to do tricks, anyways…”
 
“Inuyasha, I had to set a barrier last night because there may be demons in this time as well…that settles it. You're just going to have to stay with me tonight so that I can protect you and the shards…” A very big silly grin broke out all over his face at her statement, confusing her for a moment…Oi, Kagome, if you only knew…His hands slid under the kimono, resting just below her backplate, on the swell of her behind, his fingers reaching to span the distance between her hips. Her eyes widened, and she began to squirm; he pulled her tightly to him, swallowing her noises of protest as he kissed her thoroughly, wetly, deeply. Inuyasha felt her tension holding her rigid; he gentled the kiss, but didn't let her break free.
 
Don't fight him…just relax
But…but…but…
You know you were dreaming of him this afternoon and last night
I know, but…but…
Stop cluckingwe know you're a chicken; for once in your life, just go with it, already
Okay…
 
Sighing, Kagome gave up and conceded the skirmish going on in her mouth. Inuyasha was a little surprised himself at her submission, but pressed his advantage. She slid the arm not encumbered by her folded kimono up his chest and around his neck, pulling his head down to her. When they broke for air, she laid her cheek alongside his, massaging the nape of his neck with her fingers.
 
“Keh! I think I must be dreaming…” he muttered into her ear.
 
“Keep dreaming, dog-boy…now I have to figure out how to smuggle you into my room…”
 
“You're serious about this…you really mean it?”
 
“Of course…I have to stay here, which means so do you…but I can't just waltz you up the stairs, though…how's your climbing skills these days?”
 
“You want me to climb up to your room?”
 
“If you can manage that, you'll be fine in the morning once your powers return.”
 
“When can we blow this party, wench?”
 
She arched her eyebrows at the undisguised eagerness in his voice…oh, boy, this could be interesting even if she lost her nerve… “We have to stay until the Imperial party leaves to return to their quarters in the Palace…then guests are requested to leave the grounds and are escorted out…I should think another hour or so? You can slip into the bushes over there, under my window and wait for me. When I open the shutters, that's your signal…”
 
“Which window is yours?”
 
She gave the hair at the back of his neck a sharp tug. “Don't give me that, dog-boy…I know you were in my room last night, and I have the evidence to prove it…however, I'll save that until later; I'm really looking forward to making you squirm…”
 
He grinned into her cheek, and then nibbled on her earlobe, kissing the side of her neck down to where the fabric interfered; he reached up her back, inside the kimono, to pull the haori slightly off her shoulder, using his teeth and tongue to give her goose bumps. Shivering, she couldn't stop herself from arching against him as he murmured thickly, “So am I, wench, so am I…”
 
Jerking backwards, she gave him a half-hearted swat to the shoulder, but didn't fight too much when he pulled her back into his embrace. “I didn't mean the fun kind of squirming, Inuyasha…”
 
“There's another kind? You'll have to demonstrate…”