InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Phoenix Blade: Time Lapse ❯ Eaves-dropping ( Chapter 16 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: Not mine; don't hit or sue…having tons of fun romping with `em, though…
 
A/N: I'll apologize in advance for the extra-large load of fluff provided by the philosophically-minded plot bunnies…couldn't bring myself to write a steamy sex scene, when it's too darn hot to even think about it out here!
 
The Phoenix Blade: Time Lapse
Chapter Sixteen: Eaves-dropping
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Present Day
 
Kagome forced herself to walk sedately up the stairs to her quarters; not skipping and giggling like certain parts of her brain were urging her to do.
 
Inuyasha had reluctantly let her go when she reminded him that she had to return to her Imperial duties; the hanyou had straightened her haori, smoothed her kimono, and sent her back towards the tall figure of Sessaki silhouetted against the dim oil lights of the Imperial Pavilion. Her mother, bless her, had been busily engaged in keeping Ojii-chan from noticing that a certain red-clad hanyou was wrapped around his granddaughter in a rather intimate manner in the shrubbery behind him. Owe ya one, mom, I think
 
Kagome carefully made her way over to Sessaki, hoping she didn't look as ruffled as she felt, and he then handed her up to the veranda, where she occupied her previous spot at the edge of the decking. A servant brought her a sake cup and small porcelain serving bottle of the rice liquor, whispering “Compliments of the Emperor, Celestial Bodyguard…” She had bowed respectfully, forehead nearly to the floor, and taken up the cup in two hands, counting to three before tossing it down in one gulp. The sake slid over her tongue like velvet fire…ooo, this was the good stuff!... and within minutes, her body was getting warm in very interesting places. You always were a cheap drunk, Higurashismarten up, or you'll be jumping dog-boy the second he puts his nose in the room… She had been careful to pace herself, partly because she didn't think she could beg off for a bathroom break partway through and also because a cheerfully drunk and lecherous Celestial Bodyguard wouldn't be good for public relations.
 
She sat as still as possible, her eyes scanning the heavens for shooting stars, and then watching the darkened crowd. Too bad, in a way, that Inuyasha was human tonight…she wouldn't have minded knowing exactly where he was, by those glowing orbs of his. Oh, well…she noticed Shimano approaching Sessaki, and the men exchanging low words. I wonder where Kogashu is? For that matter, where's Yashita? Here we goOperation Smuggle Hanyou now in progress
 
A platoon of Imperial guardsmen crunched quietly up the path, their automatic weapons at the ready. Torches were lit simultaneously, as if by magic. Behind her, the Imperial Family rose from its tatami mats and cushions; a servant whisked the sake bottle and cup away as she also came to her feet. She stepped off the planking, and moved to Lord Sessaki's side, at full attention as the Imperial party sorted themselves out by precedence, and began the short walk back to their quarters. The crowd wavered in its dark outlines, people bowing deeply as the Emperor passed, and then began milling about in the Imperial party's wake.
 
Lord Sessaki turned his dark eyes on her. “Very good, Higurashi…will you join us for a refreshing drink before retiring tonight?”
 
“No, thank you, sir…I had a very restless sleep last night and again this afternoon, so would like to just turn in, if I may please be excused?”
 
“Of course…do you require an escort to your room? I can summon Yashita, if you wish…”
 
“No, sir…thank you, but it isn't necessary…I'm sure I can't get lost in the next hundred feet or so…”
 
He smiled mysteriously at something then, patting her shoulder as he turned away. “Good night, Higurashi…we will reconvene in the morning…”
 
“Thank you, sir…pleasant dreams…”
 
She made her way over to her family, and offered to walk out to the gates with them. Her mother allowed her to accompany them only as far as the large patch of vegetation right below the wing housing her room; Kagome realized it had been another of her mother's set-ups when Inuyasha simply vanished as they strolled past. He should have borrowed her camouflage jacket; that red haori was like a warning flare… She had stooped to kiss Sota goodbye, and then Ojii-chan, and finally her mother. Mrs. Higurashi had cupped her cheek, smiling knowingly at her daughter. Kagome was somewhat puzzled. She assumed Inuyasha had told her mother the reason why he was staying tonight…Gods, what had he said? On the other hand, did she really want to know?
 
She hoped the hanyou was up to the challenge, as she eyed the tall stone foundations and the upward-curving eaves of the roof that he'd have to conquer before he reached her window on the second. His jumping skills were still better than an ordinary human…she remembered the height he attained in his battle with the spider youkai at the shrine, so felt a little more hopeful. He'd have to move fast; the rooflines were softly lit, and he would be exposed to view in a way that he wasn't usually. There weren't any snipers stationed on the inner walls, she was pretty sure; but she was equally willing to bet there were remote cameras covering every angle possible.
 
Kagome detoured to the privy on the way up the stairs, thankful she'd managed to find her dresser, and tell him she would be able to cope with her regalia herself. Of course, Inuyasha would undoubtedly be only too happy to help her strip down…oh, boy, there were some major butterflies bouncing around in her stomach right now…She slung her quiver to the floor and slid out of the crimson kimono, folding it as neatly as possible before piling the quiver and sword on top of it outside the privy door as a makeshift do-not-disturb sign. Inside, she cursed, fumbling to lower the kidskin trousers under the armoured skirt. The 21st century definitely had its advantages…
 
Finally, she entered her room and slid the door closed, kicking in the locking bolt and checking it with her fingers just to make sure. The length of the door track caught her eye; visually measuring it, she tried Fenikkusuken in the space. A perfect fit…she now had a spiffy do-it-yourself burglar bar. She propped her quiver against the door as well.
 
She shook out the kimono and hung it on the t-shaped stand in the corner. The dresser had been appalled to hear it would be either folded up or on a hanger at her house, so had insisted she be given this stand for storage. The futon had been made again, after her nap, but the sheet and blanket were turned down, and her pillow placed in the centre of the bed, with the traditional wood block balanced hopefully on top.
 
Grinning, she put the wooden headrest to the side, where she had found it made a convenient stand for a small candleholder. Once the overhead light was turned out by the door, it helped to find your way back to the futon…Searching the room briefly, she found the candle, lit it and placed it on the block, then turned out the light. Taking a deep breath, she squared her shoulders and walked across the room to the shutters. Taking a firm grip on them, she paused a moment, her heart thudding, then flung them wide open. Romeo, Romeo, wherefore art thou, Romeo… Nothing. Cautiously, she poked her head out slightly, scanning the roof and eaves trough for both hanyou and cameras. Nothing. What the hell….where was dog-boy?
 
Kagome knelt in front of the window, and rested her chin on her fist on the windowsill. Well, wouldn't be the first covert operation she'd waited for a fellow operative to show up. She'd really hated team exercises sometimes…good thing Shimano had made most of them fun…she caught herself yawning as she grinned. Hell, her entire life now was made up of team activities with `her boys'… A loud whisper from down below caught her attention.
 
“Oi, wench…do you have a rope or something?” She leaned out, and could just make out a bit of red in the darkness. He was still on the ground.
 
“Uhhhh…you mean you didn't bring one?”
 
“Didn't need one last night, and didn't know I'd need one tonight…”
 
“Okay, okay…just wait a sec while I come up with something…” Glancing around the room, sitting back on her heels, she noticed the sheet first, and then the long tails of the new tightly-woven obi trailing on the ground. Her old obi was in her kit bag…doing a rough calculation, that would be at least twenty feet…and the roof edge was no more eight away. Knotting all the ends and corners securely, she tied one end around her waist and tossed the loose end out and over the eaves trough. Taking a firm grip, she braced her knees and feet against the wall, and called softly, “All right, Inuyasha, I'm all ready for ya…”
 
“Really? Hot damn…I can hardly wait…” his voice floated up to her.
 
“Heel, dog-boy…I might drop you if I'm distracted too much…ooooomph!” His weight hit the makeshift rope; she really had to lean into it to be an effective counterweight. The line slackened; she sat down hard, sprawling on her back. She looked up in time to see Inuyasha's smirk as he paused on the windowsill, taking in the view of her tumbled with her knees apart. Swearing, she scrambled to her feet, yanking the makeshift rope back up through the window as he hopped down beside her and closed the shutters.
 
Kagome kept her head down, undoing the knots in the fabric; he observed her for a moment or two, then started from the opposite end. “Watch your claws…” Inuyasha held up a hand in the dim candlelight, reminding her of the lack of those sharp nails. “Right…sorry, I forgot…” He just grinned and shook his head, raven-black hair swishing over his shoulders. She was peering at and grumbling over the last knot, when his hand covered hers for a moment, and took it out of her trembling fingers.
 
“Keh! You've got the shakes pretty bad, wench…let me do this…it'll be practise for the other knots holding your armour together…” He snickered at the look on her face. To escape, she scooped up the sheet, frowning at the wrinkles, and shook it out. It didn't seem to be the worse for wear, so she re-made the futon with it. “Oi, what's the story with these? How come one is so much longer than the other?” She turned to see him with an obi in each hand.
 
“My dresser objected to the washed-out look of the one I usually wear…so retrieved that really long one from somewhere. I'll keep it at home with the kimono, and use the red-and-gold one on the other side.” Inuyasha held up the gold-and-violet obi like it was a dead eel, inspecting it critically. It was more than twice the length of the red-and-gold. Kagome noticed his intent scrutiny. “Is something the matter, Inuyasha?”
 
He sniffed at it a bit before answering. “I dunno…it looks kind of familiar, but I can't place it…sure wish I could smell it…” He tossed it to her; she hung it on the kimono stand. Straightening, she froze when arms slipped around her, a firm body pressed up against her and her earlobe was nibbled. Gulping, she flailed mentally for a moment, then escaped when the silver haori was slipped from her shoulders. She skipped across the room and grabbed her quiver from the door. Inuyasha was still holding the haori, but tossed it aside when he saw arrows in her hand, and went into a defensive stance.
 
Kagome was startled; glancing at the arrows in her hand, a light went on. Smiling, she snickered a bit. “I'm not going to shoot you for groping me, dog-boy…I need to set up a barrier to protect you and the shards, remember? Take a seat and watch the professional at work.” Huffing, he did his best `I knew that' look, folding his hands in his sleeves and plopping down. She rolled her eyes.
 
Taking several arrows, she began flaming them and poking the tips between the floorboards in the corners of the room, trying not to think of the damage she might be doing to a national historic site. One more each in front of the door and window, and then a shimmering silver net stretched over the space. Kagome worked her way to the centre of the room, right over the futon, and stood up tall, stretching her hands over her head to force the net closer to the ceiling. Inuyasha stood up quickly and grasped her around the waist to steady her. She quirked her lips at him, shyly peeking at him through her lashes. “Had to make it tall enough that you don't get half-purified when you stand up tomorrow morning…”
 
He slowly smiled back. “Does that mean I get to share the futon with you?”
 
She jumped a bit, carefully bringing her arms down to rest her palms lightly on his chest. “Ummm…I-I was going to give you the bed…you sleep, I guard…that's the deal on the night of the new moon…” He was slowly shaking his head, his eyes never leaving hers.
 
“This is the night when I get you all to myself, Kagome…no interruptions…We have a few things to discuss…” She bit her lip, suddenly really aware of his hands gripping her waist, his hips bracing hers against the unsteady surface of the futon…one false step, and they'd be in a heap, with her probably on the bottom…she'd been feeling fairly brave before, but now…
 
The cold hard truth was, she wasn't exactly sure how far she wanted to go.
 
Didn't I just have this thought recently about Yashita?
Girl, we are going to disown you if you back out now!
I'm not sure if I'm ready…I don't know if he's ready, either…
Just relax and see where you end up
Probably flat on my back with my knees up…
More like on all fours
Oh, you are so reassuring…
Woof.
 
Inuyasha brought her back to the present by carefully walking both of them off the futon, back to the steadier surface of the floor. She tried one last attempt at avoiding the whole situation. “How can I protect you from attack if I'm otherwise occupied? Something could sneak up on us…”
 
Cluck, cluck, cluck
 
“Keh! The only things being attacked around here might be your lips…and neck…and other interesting places that I've been dying to be acquainted with…and how can anything sneak up on us with this barrier?” He slid his fingers under her chin and forced her to look at him, dark eyes searching hers. She smiled a little uncertainly. Inuyasha reached up and fumbled the leather thongs holding her hair, releasing it to fall down her back, then stroking its length from her ears down to her waist several times. “Damn…I hate not being able to smell your scent…I don't know how human males can cope, if they can't smell their mates properly.”
 
Kagome was trying to think of a comeback for that, when he gripped her arm and began undoing the thongs holding the gauntlet on her left forearm. Dropping it onto the haori, he started on the other one. When it came loose, he paused, staring at the glinting bracelet of twisted silver around her wrist. She waved it under his nose. “Busted…I found this wrapped around my thigh this morning…I'm sure you have an interesting excuse…”
 
He merely leered at her, tipped her backwards onto the futon, and began working on removing her greaves and boots. “Hey, dog-boy, don't think you can get out of it so easily…” she yelped , batting at his hands. His grin became wider.
 
“Keh! I'm not trying to get out of it, Kagome…more like trying to get into it…I came by last night to make sure you were all right; imagine my surprise to find you very naked and cold, so I did the gentlemanly thing and warmed you up...” She was flabbergasted; but some instinct, probably caused by the maidenly parts of her brain raising a fuss, caused her to twist and roll away to the other side of the futon.
 
He was surprised, to say the least. She crouched out of reach, breathing hard and pushing her bangs out of her face, then stood up. Inuyasha stood up too, and they faced each other for a long moment. He made as if to take a step towards her; she went into a defensive stance. He rolled his eyes and crossed his arms.
 
“Not this again…I feel like I'm up in a tree or something.”
 
Her eyes flashed. “You were right, dog-boy, we need to talk…before anything happens that we might later regret…” Slowly, he sat down cross-legged on the futon; she backed off to prop herself against the wall, so she could keep an eye on both the door, the window…and him. Kagome couldn't help admiring how his black hair gleamed in the candlelight; she focussed on his eyes, and waited for him to say something.
 
Inuyasha, for his part, was puzzled by her change in attitude; out in the garden, she'd seemed rather receptive to the idea…or maybe it was his mistake?
 
Kagome's nerves were on high alert like she was about to go into a live-fire exercise. In the silence of the room, over the quiet crackle of the barrier, she was sure she heard footsteps approaching down the wooden corridor…two pairs, actually, walking slightly out of cadence. She raised a cautioning hand to Inuyasha, and slipped closer to the door. The footsteps, both of them, stopped outside.
 
“Kagome? Are you all right?” Yashita's muffled voice came through over the barrier.
 
“Yes, I'm fine, Yash…I'll see you in the morning, okay? I'm really tired from not sleeping very well last night…pleasant dreams.”
 
There was a distinct hesitation in his voice. “Pleasant dreams, Kagome…see you tomorrow…” One pair of footsteps, followed closely by another, walked away and her door rattled slightly as the one to the room next to hers closed firmly. She could hear Inuyasha growling softly. Turning, she glared daggers at him and returned to her spot against the wall.
 
“If that bastard comes within ten feet of you again, I'll rip his head off…” he hissed.
 
Kagome snickered. “Well, technically he's within ten feet right now…his room is on the other side of that wall…”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Yashita turned to Sessaki as they stood just inside the door of his room. “Is the pup in there?” he demanded quietly. Sessaki shrugged, but crossed to the common wall, and leaned against it, listening carefully.
 
“She has created a barrier…I can't tell for certain, Yash, but why else would she have a barrier inside the room in the first place?”
 
“Can't you smell if he's in there?”
 
Sessaki smiled in the darkness. “He would smell very similar to you tonight…you're both in human form, and you both were in close contact with her over the course of the day. I did scent him more strongly after she spent a few minutes with her family, but one cannot make any deductions from that alone…”
 
Yashita's quiet cursing was blood-curdling; his unsympathetic brother merely chuckled.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Kagome and Inuyasha kept up their positions of armed détente. Finally, she broke the silence. “You said you wanted to talk…”
 
He snorted. “You don't look like you're ready to listen…more like you've already decided that I'm full of shit.”
 
“Your eyes are remarkably dark, now that you mention it…we've got all night, so say your piece. I can't `sit' you or take off on you, and my mother isn't going to rescue me, so you've a definite advantage tonight. Go on…say what's on your mind.”
 
“Keh! Let's start with something fresh…why do you keep holding me at arms' length, wench? Sometimes you let me get close to you, like earlier tonight, and then you push me away again. It isn't nice to tease a demon, especially a possessive inu-youkai like me…”
 
Kagome sighed. “I'm…I'm really sorry, Inuyasha…I'm surprised you don't hear the clucking…I'm really a chicken when it comes down to it, and I don't want to get hurt…”
 
“You're afraid to do it with me? I would never hurt you, Kagome…okay, bruise accidentally while in battle, but never harm you that way! I'd rather lose Tetsusaiga…”
 
She waved her hand in front of her face. “I know you wouldn't injure me physically…I mean more like heart-break…”
 
He furrowed his brows at her. “I would never break my mate's heart…inu-youkai mate for life, you know.”
 
She gaped at that, but rallied smartly. “You're pretty darned confident that being mated to you is on my priority list, dog-boy! Maybe I'm just lusting after you for uninhibited sexual acts…”
 
His eyes grew rather wide as he digested the possibility, and several naked scenarios pranced around in his head, and then he grinned. “If all you were after was sex, Miroku would've received a warmer reception by now, I'd think.”
 
Kagome yawned and stretched. “Maybe he has…” Narrowed dark eyes were suddenly filling her visual field; she squinched backwards slightly.
 
“That's really not funny, Kagome. I know you're a virgin, despite hanging around this place with so much testosterone, it could be bottled…you've also just admitted that you're too nervous to do it with me. I have a great deal of difficulty believing you'd find the lech that attractive…he'd be broadcasting his conquest all over this half of Japan if he was lucky enough to bed someone like you.” He eased back to the futon, but sat just at the nearer edge, only a couple of feet away, regarding her with smoky eyes. She squirmed uncomfortably, realizing he'd well and truly caught her out, and now they were back to Being Serious About Sex. Oh, shit.
 
“Why do you want me, of all people, to be your mate…your wooing techniques could use a polish, you know.”
 
He cocked his head to the side, regarding her through lowered lashes. “You're my test case…and yes, I want to mate with you…preferably as soon as, and as often as, possible.”
 
Kagome sagged against the wall, as the uninhibited side of her brain raced around giggling gleefully, tossing confetti. She sat still in thought for a long moment, ignoring the jeering from the wearing-iron-knickers side of her mental audience. “Ummm…okay…that's an interesting bit to file away…but basically, my answer hasn't fundamentally changed since we had our high-level conversation in the Goshinboku…I'm not convinced that Kikyo's presence won't screw up what our relationship might be…”
 
His voice was very quiet. “She will, if you let her loose in your head. What else do you need to hear? I have chosen you…”
 
“But what the hell does that mean? You must have chosen her, too…otherwise why would you want to become a human for her?”
 
“Keh…I never wanted her for a mate, Kagome. I wasn't old enough for that. I was a confused, angry and lonely pup at the time…all I wanted was someone to notice me, and she did take notice…she was the first person since my mother to really talk to me, welcome my presence in her company, and not turn me away. I wanted to make her happy, because she accepted me.”
 
“Well, not exactly…she wanted you to become a human, so I think her acceptance was a little tainted…I still have trouble believing that when you look at me, or kiss me, that you're not reliving a tender moment with her.”
 
Inuyasha sat up straighter, his face turning as red as his haori…with anger, Kagome quickly realized. Before he started yelling; she tilted her head significantly towards the wall behind him and held a finger to her lips. He managed to control his volume, but just barely.
 
“Kikyo only let me touch her once, and that was fully clothed, on a dock, after she'd tripped and damn near knocked me into the water with her…I've only known you a couple of months, Kagome, and I trust you with my life…she and I never fully trusted each other, obviously, even after close to a year…Naraku wouldn't have stood a chance, otherwise.”
 
Kagome digested this tidbit only briefly. “Why in hell do you trust me, when you just admitted you hardly know me? I might end up purifying your ass just because you're annoying me…”
 
“Keh! I just…I don't know, wench…I just do. When I woke up, and saw you standing there…I was still confused and pissed off from her shooting me, which to me, was only a moment before… Kikyo in armour? Wearing a sword? Smiling at me like nothing had just happened? I couldn't figure out what in all the hells was going on, not until you jumped up those roots to touch my hand, and I could smell your amazing scent, and then I knew…something in me knew…that you were going to be mine. You, Kagome…nobody else.” His voice was softened, nearly pleading.
 
Kagome was softening a bit, but covered up by greeting this heartfelt admission with an unromantic snort. “If you knew I was meant for you, why did you try to kill me five minutes after that?”
 
He actually grinned at the memory. “I was angry as hell, with a girl I thought I knew in my sights, and the Jewel I wanted almost within reach…I wanted revenge for Kikyo's shot, because all I felt was pain and rejection…again. Keh! Lucky for both of us, your sword has an attitude problem, and Kaede was handy with her spells, or somebody would have come to grief…and I wouldn't be here now getting the fifth degree from you, and that would be really crappy, believe it or not.”
 
“Humph!” was all Kagome could say at that precise moment. She bit her lip, twiddling a lacquered plate at the edge of her skirt, as she tried to think of a different angle of attack. Inuyasha took the opportunity to inch a little closer to her; her eyes snapped to his; he grinned cockily at her. “If I mean so much to you, as myself, why did I get labelled as the `shard detector' to the houshi?”
 
He stifled an urge to roll his eyes, and then gave in to it. Not that again… “Wench, will you ever get over yourself on that, and move on?” Her gaze was distinctly frosty; he sighed heavily and held up his hands. “Okay, Kagome, here is my official apology for calling you that… `Kagome-I'm-Sorry-I-Called-You-The-Shard-Detector…happy now?” She `humphed' again, and put her nose in the air. Inuyasha groaned and flopped backwards on the futon, his dark hair swirling into intricate patterns on the white sheet. “You are amazingly infuriating, wench… I give up…I'm going to pack it in, since I have to be gone in a few hours…thank you for your wonderful company…” He rolled over and pulled a small pouch out of his robe, dropping it beside the wooden stand, and blew out the candle.
 
In the sudden darkness, Kagome felt very, very alone…damn the hanyou for making her feel like a…well, a bitch. She shifted uneasily, slowly allowing the great yearning to curl up beside him and sleep in his arms…definitely his…take over her soul. The `keeping him at arm's length' part of her brain was rapidly losing ground to the `rub his ears and be damned' part…His quiet words, spoken into the stillness, knocked out the last pins holding her desires back.
 
“I've never kissed anyone before you, Kagome…I've never touched anybody like I've touched you, either. Keh…there's nobody else in my head, wench, except you…and you've pretty much taken the place over. I hope that you'll believe me one day…”
 
Her breath hitched; she tried to swallow the huge lump that appeared in her throat and didn't succeed.
 
His voice came again. “Is this the kind of not-fun squirming you were mentioning earlier as a punishment, wench? I get the point…”
 
The corner she had painted herself into suddenly became very, very small and very, very lonely. “I'm really sorry, Inuyasha…but I just…I just have to think things through for myself…thank you for…thanks for…oh, hell, I don't even know what I'm saying anymore…good night, Inuyasha.” She heard him shift around on the futon, and the silent minutes ticked by agonizingly slowly.
 
“Come here, wench…just be with me…I need to have you close…I promise I won't grab you or anything…” His voice was soft.
 
Taking a deep breath, ignoring the chorus of horror-filled gasps and gleeful titters from both sides of her brain, she pushed away from the wall, and slid across the floor until her knees contacted the futon. Her hand brushed his; he caught her fingers and gently tugged her towards him; she gave in, and skewed herself around carefully, until her body curved against his, and she could tuck herself against his side, head on his shoulder, resting her hand over his heart; his arm wrapped around her and draped over her hip. There was a moment of comfortable silence.
 
“Oi, wench…I do have some standards…no armoured boots in bed…unless they're wrapped around my hips, that is…” She groaned into his chest, his delighted snigger in her ear. Sitting up, she started fumbling with the thongs holding the greaves in place; it seemed to take a while. Inuyasha was busy behind her; he found the matches beside the wooden block and re-lit the candle, then slid around beside her and started working on the other leg. “Keh! Don't make these things easy to get you out of, do they?”
 
“I don't think speed of exit was the priority, somehow…” Between the two of them, her legs were bare in a few minutes, the greaves joining the gauntlets on her haori, the boots and socks tossed aside. Inuyasha's hand braced the back of her armour.
 
“I promise not to molest you, Kagome…don't you think you'll be more comfortable if you take this off, too?”
 
“I didn't bring anything to sleep in…I forgot to pack it…”
 
“I wondered where that skimpy little outfit was last night; mind you, I didn't mind the view…” He smirked when she glared over her shoulder at him, and started tugging off his haori and juban. “Here…I'll make the supreme sacrifice and loan you my shirt…” Sighing, Kagome started wriggling out of the kidskin trousers, telling the quarrelling sides of her brain to shut up and pack it in for the evening, or else. She folded the soft leather, and laid the garment to the side, then began deconstructing the elaborate bowed knots tying the shoulder guards to the breastplate. Inuyasha started working on the thongs latticing the sides of the back plate, grumbling at the tightness of the knots. “Can you slither out of this if I only undo one side?”
 
“Nope…see how far the front curves around the sides? Whole thing has to come off…and the skirt has to be unlaced first.”
 
“Thank the Armoury for giving you the set with the buckles…Keh!”
 
The back plate finally slid away, and Kagome felt the cool linen of Inuyasha's juban draped over her shoulders. She twisted the breastplate to pop it off her torso, and slid her arms through the sleeves, tying up the strings to close it while he shuffled the armour into a tidy pile. She was about to lie back down, when he nudged her away. Looking back at him, he grinned, and pulled the sheet and blanket back so she could roll under it. He made a big show out of pulling the linens up and tucking them in around her waist, then blowing out the candle and lying down beside her on top of the blanket, snuggling her against him for the second time that night.
 
“Good night, Kagome…thank you for this…” She felt him kiss the crown of her head; tilting her face up, she found his chin to kiss in return, then settled, sighing contentedly, against his shoulder. Something peeked out from the back of her mind; she tapped him on the chest.
 
“You're not going to wake up all grouchy tomorrow, are you?”
 
“Grouchy? Why would I?”
 
“Well, last time, when we fought the spider youkai…you were not a happy boy the next day…”
 
“Keh…that was because of the dig about the Jewel…I also wasn't too happy with a whole bunch of people knowing about my weakness. If that ever got back to my brother, or Naraku, things would get pretty ugly…”
 
“I've also noticed that you aren't very, uh, open about discussing feelings or other mushy stuff the rest of the time…is this your human side being allowed out to play? As much as I like your dog ears, I kind of like seeing this side of you, too…I just don't want to get bitten when you go back to being a junkyard dog tomorrow morning…”
 
Inuyasha `keh-ed' softly, his fingers tracing swirls on her hipbone. “I really don't know…I've never talked to anyone on the night of the new moon…spent too much time finding a good hiding place and sitting tight, jumping at every little noise…it's easy talking to you…when you listen instead of `sitting' me, that is.”
 
Kagome swatted his chest gently; he trapped her hand, and gave her an extra kiss on the brow. She burrowed closer into his side. Another thought popped unbidden into her head.
 
“Maybe we ought to think about spending the night of the new moon on this side of the well?”
 
The fingers stroking little circles on the back of her hand stilled for a moment. “Y'know, wench, that might be one of the best ideas you've ever had…your mom is an awesome cook…I'm liking that a lot!”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
“You're through the wax and working on the wood, Yash.”
 
Yashita barely paused in his pacing to make a rude gesture. Sessaki sighed, rolling over to stare at the ceiling, and wishing for his own futon instead of the one in Yashita's room. He tilted his head to eye the hanyou appraisingly; a dark scowl marred the younger man's handsome features.
 
“Kagome is in no danger; we placed the wards to enclose this entire wing, so I fail to see what the problem is…besides the pup being in there instead of you, that is.” He received a pointedly poisonous glare in return; he couldn't resist a last dig at the sore point. “You'll be able to sniff her in the morning to see if anything happened, at least…”
 
Asshole!” Sessaki avoided Yashita's diving lunge just in time, and springing to his feet, pounced on his brother. They rolled over and over across the floor, Sessaki coolly blocking or dodging his brother's punches. He finally straddled the hanyou, pinning his wrists next to his head. Both men heaved oxygen into their lungs, Yashita glaring full-sized swords at the taller man.
 
“Nice to see that your mate still brings out the best in you, whelp. Now, knock it off, or I'll have to knock you out…”
 
“I'd like to see you try…”
 
“Pathetically predictable…”
 
Fuck!
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Kagome detected Inuyasha stirring slightly. “What?” she asked drowsily, rubbing her cheek against his chest.
 
“Nothing…could have sworn I heard a punch-up going on next door, though…”
 
“Probably you did… Kogashu usually gets loud when he's had a few drinks with Yashita…they're old rivals…there might be a few bruises tomorrow…”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Kagome next awoke in the early dawn, conscious of warm breath tickling her neck, a strong heart keeping time with her own against her back, and arms wrapped around her. She opened her eyes, and saw, stretching away from her across the futon, a calligraphic expanse of dark hair, hers and Inuyasha's, mixed together in artistic slashes and curlicues. As she sleepily admired the patterns, the darkness began to bleed away from some of the design, leaving an illuminated manuscript in silver and black. The hand holding hers against her chest began to lightly prickle her palm where the claw tips now rested.
 
“Mmmm…I have to go, koishii…” His lips found the angle of her neck and shoulder; she closed her eyes and tilted up her jaw to give him better access. Inuyasha rolled her onto her back and rose over her, a silver waterfall spilling over his shoulder. “That's not a used endearment, Kagome…it's all yours…so find something else for Arashi, okay?” She reached up a hand to his cheek, smiling languidly; he came down to kiss her tenderly, and she slid her fingers up to his ear, giving it a soft caress. He trembled slightly, and murmured against her lips, “I could wake up every morning with you doing that…” She rubbed for a few moments longer before letting her hand drop away, to tangle in his hair where it trailed over his shoulder.
 
His amber eyes grew serious. “Can we call a truce on what we discussed last night? I'll prove it to you, somehow, that we are meant to be mates… I want to wake up like this every morning, with you in my arms…could we try that, please? No pressure, no groping… not unless you want me to, of course.” Kagome chuckled, and pulled him down for another kiss.
 
“I'll need a bigger sleeping bag if we're going to have a threesome, so to speak, with Shippo every night…”
 
“The runt can go find his own wench…maybe the monk wants a furry kitsune to cuddle…”
 
“Miroku's probably so hard up by now, that copping a feel from Shippo would make it onto his lifetime perversions list…”
 
“We should plan to go back fairly soon…even Kaede-baba might not be safe…”
 
Kagome giggled. “Wonder which appendage she'd tie the restraining spell around…” Inuyasha chuckled softly, then tenderly ran a claw tip along her cheekbone, following the path with half-hooded eyes before dipping to kiss the corner of her mouth. He sighed regretfully, toying with a lock of her hair.
 
“C'mon, koishii…I need my shirt back…I have to scarper before it gets much lighter…” He pulled them up to sitting; she started undoing the side ties before she noticed his arched eyebrow and sly smile.
 
“Hey, turn around, dog-boy…” The hanyou smirked and put his back to hers; she slid out of the garment, twisting to drop the juban over his shoulders, and hold it for him while he pushed his arms through the sleeves. She yanked up the sheet just as he turned around, and clasped her biceps in his claws, pressing his nose against her Jewel scar, inhaling deeply of her skin. She blew lightly on his ear, just because it was within range, and because he quivered so delightfully.
 
“Mmmhmm…you smell delicious, Kagome…I'll enjoy having your scent around me all day…not a bad trade-off for lending you my shirt.”
 
“What do I smell like?” She asked shyly, fluttering her eyelashes at him. He slid his arms around her, and hugged her tightly to his chest.
 
“Sunshine…wildflowers…cool water…green grass. When we mate, our scents will mingle, so that every demon will know we belong to each other.”
 
She shook her head over the `when we mate'…“You remind me of fresh breezes…pine trees…damp moss; hmmmm…so if we were mated, we'd smell like…an air freshener?”
 
“…A what? Never mind…you can smell my scent? Maybe there's a little inu-youkai in you somewhere…you'd look adorable with velvety black ears… I think so, anyways.”
 
Kagome reached up and stroked Inuyasha's velvety white ears; he purred lightly, leaning into her hand. “I love your ears… and I must admit, you're growing on me, kind of like a cute furry fungus…even though you can be a real handful sometimes…”
 
“I don't think you've really had a handful of me yet… Ouch!” He scowled lightly, rubbing the offended ear, then sprang to his feet, pulling her and the sheet up with him. “Walk me to the window, beautiful-abuser-of-dog-ears?” She wrapped the sheet around herself, holding it closed with one hand, while he tied his various layers together.
 
“Hold it! Don't move yet…I have to take down the barrier…” Kagome headed to the window, and started pulling the arrows out of the floor cracks. The shimmering net gave a louder crackle, and then shredded into sparking dust motes that winked out as they showered down, like myriads of shooting stars. She bustled around the room, until all the arrows were back in her quiver, and Inuyasha was lounging by the window, smirking lazily at her.
 
The eastern sky was light pink along the horizon; Inuyasha pulled her close, tilting her chin up for a tender kiss. Kagome slid her arm up around his neck, deepening the kiss, and they stayed that way for long moments, his hands moving to rest on her hips. Finally, they came up for air; Kagome nestled against his chest, tracing his jawline with her fingertip; he smiled wistfully into her hair. “Gotta go, Kagome-chan...see you this morning?”
 
She shook her head, her dark tresses tumbling attractively over her bare shoulders. “Probably not until this afternoon…there's a breakfast debriefing this morning, I think…”
 
“I'll be waiting…stay away from that Yashita guy, all right?...humour me, mate-to-be…I only want my scent on you from now on…”
 
She rolled her eyes, but smiled brilliantly at him as he hopped up onto the windowsill. Just as he let go of the window frame, she called huskily, “Inu-chan…” When he glanced over his shoulder… she dropped the sheet. There was a pair of wide gold eyes, and then a few choice epithets as he lost his balance and skidded over the eaves.
 
Before Kagome could close the shutters, giggling, an arm snaked around her and she was crushed against Inuyasha's chest, his mouth attacking hers. He let her come up for air, grinning cockily at her stunned expression while he balanced easily on the windowsill, gripping the frame with one set of claws.
 
“Good thing those eaves troughs are nailed firmly to the trusses…couldn't let you get away with that kind of a tease, wench…” His expression softened, and he kissed her again, more gently this time, while sliding his hand down until he was lightly cupping her naked backside, his claws raising goose bumps. “I'll see you later, koishii…” and he swung out the window again, bounding over the stacked roofs until he dropped out of sight in the direction of the gardens.
 
Still somewhat shocked from the hanyou's quick recovery, but chuckling all the same, she closed the shutters, picked up the sheet and trooped back to the futon, throwing herself down to nestle in the blanket. Things were looking up…
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
“I believe the pup has, as they say, left the building, Yash.”
 
The hanyou turned to look at his brother, with dark circles under his eyes, broad streaks of silver weaving among the black in his braid, and dog ears flickering in and out of existence. Sessaki shook his head, putting a hand on the haggard half-demon's shoulder.
 
“You're a wreck, Yash…your concealing spell is slipping worse than I've ever seen…I don't know why you are working yourself up into such a state; you know exactly when you and Kagome mate, and it sure isn't in the first few months of your mission. You need to sleep now, if you hope to spend time with Kagome today before she goes home. However, I must congratulate your effort to look authentically dissipated if your cover story is a drinking party with Kogashu…”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж