InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Phoenix Blade: Time Lapse ❯ Fractured ( Chapter 20 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I don't own anything…
 
A/N: Thanks muchly to all my reviewers for your comments, praise and criticism…you guys rock!
 
Bit of fluff at the end, but I promise you that it isn't gratuitous in the scheme of things to come…
 
The Phoenix Blade: Time Lapse
Chapter Twenty: Fractured
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Present Day
 
Kagome vaulted over the lip of the well, and ended up standing in the darkness at the bottom. She folded her hands over her heart. “Please…I have to get to Inuyasha…he needs me… please…” A shimmering glow crept out of a fissure in the dank earth at her feet, then swirled up to surround her with blinding blue light.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Sengoku Jidai
 
The well seemed a little more crowded when she opened her eyes. Blinking, trying to adjust to the dimness, she was abruptly knocked into the wall by a wailing ball of fur.
 
“Kagomeee! You came back!” The kit hugged her tightly, sobbing.
 
“Shippo! I am so glad to see you…” The shard glinted at her feet; stooping, she picked it up and shoved it into her pocket, while snuggling Shippo against her shoulder. A guttural growl came from above them. Shippo screamed and clung to her, as a three-eyed wolf edged its way down the trunk of a very large tree that had been jammed into the well. So that's how dog-boy did it… “Who are these big uglies, Shippo?”
 
“Royakan…” he whispered back. She was confused. “He's a wolf-oni…he's huge…he's trying to kill Inuyasha while he's still injured.”
 
“Let me guess…dog-boy's out there fighting despite his injury…he'll be lucky if Royakan kills him before I do. Time to do a little pest extermination…” She swung the kitsune onto her shoulder opposite the quiver, and snapped a bolt to her bow, taking the demon smack in the middle of its three eyes. The second went the same way, and she was just lining up a third when the tree trunk moved, shifted, and was suddenly wrenched out of the well. The kit and the girl heard the hanyou's yell, and then felt the ground shake as in a minor earthquake a few moments later. “C'mon, Ship-dip, let's see how the party's going.”
 
When she climbed over the ruined rim of the well, Inuyasha was standing there, a nasty dark stain spreading across the front of his haori, Kaede and Miroku nearby. There was a pile of armour and brown fur with a large tree jammed down its gullet quivering across the clearing. Kagome jumped lightly down to the ground, and paused for a moment while Shippo darted for Miroku, her dark hair lifting in the breeze…and stormed across the short distance until she was nearly toe-to-toe with the hanyou.
 
“You asshole! What the hell were you thinking? I ought to purify the crap out of you…”
 
Inuyasha didn't like the hard look in her eye, or the fact that she was gripping her sword hilt tight enough to make her knuckles go white, and started to back away, when Kagome launched herself at him, hugging him tightly enough to leave him breathless. “You're alive…don't ever send me away like that again…I couldn't stand it…I thought you were dead…you are such an idiot, dog-boy…” Now she was crying, as she punctuated each phrase with a half-hearted punch to his shoulder, and then abruptly pulled his face down to hers for a passionate kiss that would have knocked his socks off, if he were wearing any. His ears, however, pricked straight up...
 
Miroku covered Shippo's eyes, murmuring “This is most certainly not suitable for the eyes of children.”
 
“Or for perverts, houshi…leggo, or I bite!”
 
When Kagome finally let Inuyasha take a breath, he just gazed at her, his mouth all soft-looking. Getting a hold of himself, he reached to gently wipe the tears off her face with his thumbs. “I'm sorry, Kagome…I was just trying to protect you…”
 
She blinked back more tears. “Next time, can you talk to me about it? Forget it, there isn't going to be a next time…'cause you're not going to do this again. I need you, Inuyasha, and if you die because I'm not around to defend you, I'll be really pissed off at you!”
 
He grinned slowly at that skewed threat, and then bent to kiss her. “I really missed you, wench...” They had a blissful moment of peace together, and then Kagome froze, as another presence made itself known. “Inuyasha…I sense Jewel shards…over there!”
 
He swung her onto his back, and took off in the direction she indicated. They came to a clearing; Kagome flinched at the demonic aura filling the space. A silent figure in a white baboon pelt seemed to float gently, almost glowing against the darkness of the trees. She slid off of Inuyasha's back, keeping a grip on his obi with her left hand, while drawing her sword with her right. Tetsusaiga bloomed in front of her; hanyou and girl pointed their weapons at the creature.
 
A chilling voice, that creeped her out in a way that even Sesshomaru's didn't, laced mockingly through the air. “Well, Inuyasha, we meet again after your fifty year nap. How interesting that you've found Kikyo's reincarnation to play with… such a beautiful young miko…too bad she was so gullible…”
 
Naraku?!
 
The baboon pelt bowed slightly. “Yes, it is I… not that it will do you any good.”
 
“Shut your fucking trap…Kagome, how many shards does he have?”
 
“…Dozens and dozens…he could make up a chunk of the Jewel all by himself!”
 
“Thank you for that assurance, shadow-maiden… ah, the chip-off-the-old-monk is also here…excellent…and is that young Kaede? Not so young anymore, I see. It will be a great pleasure to destroy you all.”
 
Miroku began fumbling with his prayer beads; a cloud of hell wasps buzzed out from under Naraku's cloak. Muttering a very un-Buddhist oath, the monk rewrapped his hand. “Naraku, why did you seek Inuyasha's life? It was Kikyo-sama that you desired; why entrap him as well?”
 
“The ridiculous woman had allowed herself to fall in love with this worthless half-breed, reducing the effectiveness of her spiritual powers. It was very easy for me to call upon the demons to release me from my damaged flesh, because she was failing in her duty. The Jewel she guarded would grant me powers far beyond what I had, and it pleased me to weave a web of destruction to encompass the foolish lovers. However, at the last, the Jewel evaded me, because Kikyo did not wish to live without her hanyou, even though he died hating her, and so the final coating of malice was never applied to the Jewel's lustre.” The baboon pelt sighed with mocking regret. Kagome could feel that Inuyasha was almost vibrating with anger; the menacing growls were starting at the back of his throat.
 
“I'll have revenge for Kikyo's death on you, Naraku…show your face, you coward!”
 
The masked figure floated away; malevolent laughter rang around the clearing. “Ah, revenge… delightful concept, but difficult to execute… it will undoubtedly be very amusing to watch you try… farewell.”
 
“Get back here and fight me!!” Inuyasha lunged, swinging the Tetsusaiga; Kagome went with him, as she hadn't let go of his obi. “Dammit, wench, let go! He's getting away…” He struck at her arm, too focussed on his prey to notice he had spun Kagome halfway across the clearing. She rolled to an awkward stop, clutching her forearm, too stunned to even cry out. Kaede and Shippo scrambled towards her.
 
Inuyasha swung the Tetsusaiga at the retreating figure, shredding the pelt. A dark-haired human-shaped creature was revealed; Miroku flung his staff like a javelin, striking his target in the torso. The kimono tore away, and revealed a distinctive, spider-shaped mark spreading across the creature's back. The figure seemed to twist up on itself, and vanish into thin air. Inuyasha, roaring, took off after the dark vapour.
 
Miroku retrieved his staff, and looked thoughtfully up in the direction of Naraku's retreat, murmuring more to himself than anyone else. “We must be extremely careful in how we attack Naraku. He has powers unlike most demons we've encountered so far. This will require some thought…”
 
He noticed the flurry of activity around the fallen girl, and ran to her side. Wrapping an arm around her shoulders, he lifted her, noting how she favoured her left arm. “Kagome-sama…are you hurt? I am sure Inuyasha did not mean to use so much force…”
 
Gritting her teeth, tears squeezing out, Kagome nodded to both questions. “I know he didn't…shit, but I think he might have broken something… I might not be able to use my bow…damn, damned, damnable!”
 
Inuyasha came back, temper still ruffled, sheathing Tetsusaiga. Noticing the group clustered around Kagome, he hurried towards them. Shippo intervened by jumping on his head and biting an ear, hard.
 
“You big moron! You hurt Kagome's arm! How could you be so stupid? Now she can't defend herself or us with her arrows. You are such an idiot, dog-breath…” He tossed the kit to the side, and dropped to his knees in front of Kagome. She raised pain-filled eyes to his and cracked a wry smile.
 
“You're not supposed to take out your own team members, Inuyasha…that's the bad guy's job…” He noticed how she was holding her arm tight to her chest, and reached out for it. She flinched and pulled away, back against Miroku's chest. Feeling very ill and closing her eyes, she whimpered, “I think I'd better go back…Inuyasha, will you please take me through the well? I can't climb out the other side…”
 
Guilt made him rough. “How the hell did you get through, anyways, wench? I sealed it pretty thoroughly…”
 
She looked at him squarely, eyes watering. “I asked it to let me come through because I was worried about you…I thought Sesshomaru had killed you. Then, I felt the pain when you re-opened your wound. I needed to be with you, so the well let me through. The fact that Shippo had the Jewel shard in the well with him probably didn't hurt, either.”
 
Inuyasha hung his head, his ears drooping. “And this is how I repay you… I'm sorry, Kagome.” Miroku gave up his place supporting Kagome to Inuyasha, who carefully scooped her up in his arms and carried her back towards the well. She sighed softly, keeping her injured arm tucked against her chest.
 
“I can walk, Inuyasha…I just can't climb…and you're still injured.”
 
His voice was gruff. “Keh…can't cuddle you in front of this bunch if you're walking…hush, wench…I'm trying to make this right…let me, please?” Kagome subsided then, and rested her head against his shoulder. He brushed a light kiss across her forehead, not breaking stride until they reached the well. “Stay out of trouble until we get back…” he called over his shoulder, before dropping them both in.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Present Day
 
When the glow faded in the bottom of the well, instead of gathering himself for a spring upwards, Inuyasha just stood and held her, looking at her face in the dim light. She raised her grey eyes to meet his; seeing guilt darkening his golden irises, she slid her good arm up around his neck and lifted herself slightly to give him a kiss.
 
He dropped them down to sitting, and cupped her face, returning the kiss and deepening it. Kagome responded in kind, needing him, wanting him. Her scent swirled around them; the distress cues fading and being replaced by a distinct arousal. Inuyasha knew that if she didn't have an injured arm, there was a very good chance that their clothes would be forming a makeshift mattress in the bottom of the well. Hmmm…wouldn't mind trying that sometime…
 
The kiss was tenderly broken; misty-eyed and trembling, Kagome lost herself in golden pools, reaching up to stroke his face and caress his ear.
 
“My Kagome… you are mine, bitch of my heart… only you could have broken through a sealed well to return to me…”
 
Kagome pulled a face. “`Bitch of my heart'? I leave for three days and you go all poetical on me? Geez, dog-boy…” The following kiss was deeper, if possible.
 
“… koishii… Gathering her up again, and getting to his feet, he sprang out of the well, through the still-open door, and hurried towards the house. Mrs. Higurashi met them at the door.
 
“Kagome! I was so worried…I found your helmet and gloves in the middle of the floor, the door to your room nearly off its hinges, your weapons gone…dear! What's wrong with your arm?” Inuyasha carefully set Kagome onto her feet while her mother was fussing, curving his arms around her protectively.
 
“She may have a broken bone, okaa-san. We finally met Naraku face to face, and it wasn't pretty.”
 
“Mom, could you take me for an x-ray? It really hurts…”
 
“Inuyasha, will you wait here until we get back? Sota comes home from school in half an hour, and then Ojii-chan arrives back shortly after that…could you please tell them what happened? Don't you disappear…I'll need your help with Kagome once we return. There's a tray of rice balls in the refrigerator for you...”
 
While Mrs. Higurashi bustled for her keys and went out to the shed to start the car, Inuyasha helped Kagome take off her quiver, and untied the knot in her obi, using the silk to cautiously grip Fenikkusuken, which gave every indication that it was snarling at him. Tetsusaiga thrummed, and then both swords went silent. He was too occupied to do more than note the blades' byplay. Kagome was trying to work herself out of her leather jacket; he moved to help.
 
“Why not leave it on?”
 
“They may have to cut it off when we get to the hospital…and I don't want that. Please help…?” They managed to slide the jacket off her good arm, and then she gritted her teeth as he unzipped the seam zipper and tugged the injured arm free. She went a few shades of white, and nearly fainted from the pain; he caught her around the waist and braced her.
 
“Yup, I'd say it's broken, all right…” He held her against him until she could breathe normally. The sound of the car rolling up to the door had him dipping his head for another kiss; he was pleased when she responded almost hungrily to his touch. He walked her out, and helped her into the passenger seat.
 
Mrs. Higurashi caught his eye. “Don't you go anywhere, Inuyasha… it'll take two of us to look after her.” He nodded, and shut the car door, then waved at Kagome's small smile. He watched until the car disappeared through the gates, and then shuffled his feet for a moment. Well, she did say there were rice balls…
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Mrs. Higurashi needed Kagome's directions to find her way to the Academy's parking courtyard. Once there, she noticed Sensei Shimano and another man hanging about on the stairs. They rapidly moved towards the car once she parked. Kagome peered out the windshield at them. “Oh, it's Sensei Shimano and Lord Kogashu… why did you bring me to the infirmary, mom?”
 
“Dear, how would you plan to explain to your average emergency room doctor how you received your injury? I thought that the military hospital here was the most logical place to bring you, because they'd know how to fix you up so you can still fight.”
 
Kagome smiled sheepishly, slightly perturbed that her mother was thinking so far ahead. “Right, mom…thanks.” Kogashu looked grim as he opened the passenger door; Mrs. Higurashi popped the button on Kagome's seatbelt, and then smiled winsomely at Shimano as he opened her door for her.
 
“Thank you, Sensei…I hope we aren't causing too much of a fuss…”
 
He grinned at her. “Quite frankly, ma'am, Higurashi always manages to wreak some kind of havoc wherever she goes…”
 
Kogashu helped Kagome out of the car, and kept a protective arm around her when she wobbled. “Thanks, Lord Kogashu…sorry to be so much trouble…”
 
“Trouble is your middle name, Higurashi…grab ahold, girl, I'm carrying you to the infirmary.” Before she could object, he lifted her in his arms and began striding purposefully towards the entrance gate. Kagome turned as red as her leather pants, thinking about a certain hanyou who had carried her the same way shortly before. Kogashu, noticing her blush, grinned toothily. “What's the matter, Higurashi? Never seen you turn that colour before…”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Inuyasha flew out of the door when he heard the car pull into the shrine gates. Hopping from foot to foot, he barely contained himself until Mrs. Higurashi parked in front of him. Kagome was asleep in the front seat, a blanket tucked around her. “Is she okay? What did they do to her?”
 
“They gave her a powerful pain killer that put her to sleep, dear. Her ulna was broken clean through, and her radius was cracked. The good news is, it wasn't a compound fracture, and they were able to put a lightweight cast on it.”
 
Inuyasha was unbuckling Kagome's limp form and carefully lifting her. Her head lolled disconcertingly against his shoulder. “A…cast? That white thing?”
 
“It's something to help the bones mend properly. She won't be able to use her bow for the next few weeks…the Armoury is going to send her a spear, or something, instead. Anyways, help me get her to bed…”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Inuyasha sat on the foot of Kagome's bed, listening to her breathe. The sleeve of her top had been cut away; the stark whiteness of the cast on her forearm stood out against the dark shirt as she slept on her right side, hugging her arm to herself, even in sleep. Mrs. Higurashi had brought a tray up to him at dinnertime. He didn't want to leave her, and so her mother had humoured him.
 
She's so beautiful, even asleep
Pretty good kisser, too, when she wants to be…
If you hadn't broken her arm, you probably would be a very happy hanyou right now…
Keh! I'm in her bedroom, aren't I?
She might want to be awake for it, though
I wonder when that `painkiller' wears off?
Animal.
Well, duh.
 
On cue, Kagome's dark lashes fluttered; her eyes slowly opened, but didn't look particularly focussed. He slid off the bed, and scooted around until he was eye level with her, watching her very intently. Her eyes were definitely having trouble staying open, never mind telling her what she was looking at. Inuyasha waited, patiently for once, until he was rewarded with a small smile and a murmured, “Hi, dog-boy…”
 
“Hi yourself, wench. You've slept the day away, and my butt's getting flat waiting for you to wake up.”
 
She snorted sleepily, and tried rolling onto her back, which brought her left arm down, jarring her elbow, and also caused the weight of the cast to land on her chest. “Damn that hurts!” She was instantly awake and sweating. Inuyasha reached over her to cradle the elbow with one hand and stroke through her bangs with the other.
 
“Hush, koishii…do you want some of those pills that take away the hurt?”
 
She smiled wanly. “If one knocked me out for most of the day, I think I'll wait until I'm ready to go to sleep for the night. They totally relax you, you know?”
 
He didn't know, and didn't like the thought of being so far out of it that anything, from a slug-youkai to Naraku himself might be able to take advantage of that weakness. Kagome brought his attention back to her, his hand still in her hair, the other still cupping her injured arm. “How come I'm still in my clothes?”
 
Inuyasha felt a most inappropriate smirk begin to work its way onto his face, remembering their passionate kiss in the well. Trying very hard to stifle the grin, he only made himself scowl. Kagome squirmed in his hands restlessly. “I said, how come…”
 
“Your mom said to wait until you woke up enough to help. Keh! You were rather a dead weight.”
 
She thought about this, which worried him, because her thinking seemed rather slow. “Okay…can I get undressed now, then?” She appeared oblivious to the huge, sunny grin that broke out all over his face, which should have been a warning. “You should maybe call my mom to help…”
 
“No, no, I'll give you a hand…no need to bother her.”
 
The mention of `hand' seemed to stir something; she cocked a speculative eye at him that suddenly looked very sharp. “You haven't been picking up any funny habits from Miroku, have you? I mean, you were alone with him for three days…”
 
“Well, he wasn't exactly grabbing my ass, if that's what you mean. I'm saving it for you, anyways.”
 
She closed her eyes and groaned softly, the whole body language and tone clearly indicating here we go again. He smiled wickedly, and pulled the blanket down, making her yip in surprise. “We managed to pull your boots off, wench, but these pants are a little on the snug side. I wanted to see how you squeeze into them…but instead, I'll settle for helping you slide them off. Could be way more fun.”
 
Kagome smacked his hands with her one good one as he popped the snap and pulled down the heavy zipper of the fly, and then made sure the ankle zippers were also all the way open.
 
He undressed me at the Palace, and that went okay…
Yeah, but you hadn't tickled his tonsils with your tongue just before that.
Actually, I did, out in the lilac bush.
Oh, so you did…you're on your own, girl. If we had any say in it, we'd say let him kiss you better, but you just won't cooperate in anything fun.
Right, with my mother downstairs in the kitchen.
This door locks, unlike the bathroom.
I told him it was broken.
 
While she was holding this little mental conversation, Inuyasha was easing her leather pants over her hips; she wasn't going to help by lifting those same hips, even though the light scratching of his claws was doing some very interesting things to her core temperature. Finally, she relented and helped him tug the pants over the curve of her behind and halfway down her thighs before he stopped dead, his attention completely focussed on the apex of her thighs. She looked down to see what he was looking at.
 
It appeared her panties were very fascinating. They were fairly nice, as undergarments went, black with a bit of lace, but nothing über-sexy about them. Then she remembered that aside from that very first day on the riverbank, back when she wore her parade armour in the Sengoku Jidai, she'd only worn spandex shorts, which were definitely utilitarian and not sexy at all. Kagome stifled a giggle. Just wait `til he got a peek at her bra…ooh, that was a bad thought. Should possibly tie that one up before it got loose and caused a riot.
 
Inuyasha got a grip, since he found himself nearly drooling, tugged the crimson leather the rest of the way off and folded the pants neatly. Forcing his claws to cooperate, when they only wanted to caress the length of her long legs and maybe tug down that scrap of fabric covering her short curls, he pulled the blanket up to her waist, then paused for a long moment. He was trying to get his brain back under control, and then the definite, delightful scent of her arousal started to snake its way around the back of his mind. Damn
 
Kagome lay very still, watching him, her brain suddenly alert. He looked a little predatory…Inuyasha gave himself an obvious shake, and met her eyes with his half-lidded smoky amber ones. A clawed hand slid over hers, and he tugged her towards him, pulling her up to sitting. The change in altitude made her brain protest, and she fell forward, into his chest. With her nose full of fire rat and her brain suddenly foggy again, Kagome was only dimly aware of his hands sliding up her back, under her top, working the fabric open on her right side. “Kagome…slide your arm out…”
 
“It's already wrecked,” she mumbled into his haori, her nose bumping on the rosary. “Ask mom for some scissors…might as well cut it off.”
 
Inuyasha grinned into her hair, and then used his claws to carefully slit the material from armpit to hem on both sides, and then an extra slice from armpit to wrist took care of the one remaining sleeve. His fingers slipped up her spine, cutting through the fabric all the way to her nape. A mildly surprised “oh!” was Kagome's only response when he tilted her away from him long enough to tug the material away from in between them. He held her there for a long moment, looking at something…two somethings, actually.
 
She hauled her arm in between them, defensively covering up her breasts. He gently took her wrist and pulled it away, then ran the back of his knuckles over the black lace trimming the cups of her bra, that odd, smoky look in his eyes again. “Keh! Why don't you wear something like this under your armour instead of that other thing?”
 
Shivering from his light touch, trying to either cover up or hide in his chest, Kagome sounded irritated. “Because that `other thing' is more practical and demon guts wash out of it more easily.”
 
“Hmmm.” He slowly lowered her, but came down with her, her eyes getting wider, until he was nearly nose to nose with her; the slightest movement would bring their lips together. Slowly, he slid a claw under the strap of her bra and slid it over her shoulder as far down as it would go, and a bit farther, folding lace away from her skin. She was frozen, holding her breath. Very slowly, he lowered his lips to her cheek, and trailed light kisses down it, down her jaw, down her neck, across her collarbone, always down, until he reached the swell of her breast. He heard her sigh softly and took the chance to slide the other strap down while his lips moved across the valley and pressed open-mouthed kisses on the tender flesh. Kagome squirmed, and her scent spiked in a way that was unmistakeable, and made him go from hard to harder. She wondered if he was going to take her bra off, and decided on the spot that she wouldn't fight him if he did.
 
That was exactly his intention; then he picked up the faint sound of footsteps coming up the stairs. Moving away slowly, smirking at her dazed expression, he pulled the blanket the rest of the way up and picked the shredded shirt off the floor. When Mrs. Higurashi popped her head in, he was sitting against the wall on the opposite side of the room, silently watching her daughter.
 
“Oh, I thought I heard voices…”
 
“I'm awake, mom…”
 
Mrs. Higurashi eyed the hanyou, who was still staring at Kagome with those oddly hungry eyes. “Do you want to come downstairs for something to eat, or have a tray up here?”
 
“Ummm…I'd like to come downstairs, but I'll need some help with my pyjamas first.” Kagome shot a look at Inuyasha while bunching the blanket around her as she sat up. Mrs. Higurashi detected a definite atmosphere, and wondered what she had interrupted. Yashita said that it wasn't for a while…but why was Kagome so nervous and Inuyasha so intense?
 
“Excuse us, Inuyasha…wait for us outside.” He rose to his feet and padded out the door, closing it behind him. Kagome exhaled audibly, and shivered.
 
“Did something…happen, dear?” Mrs. Higurashi gently squeezed Kagome's shoulder, half -dreading the answer. Her daughter felt warm to the touch, and then she realized that she was stripped to her underwear. The leather pants were folded at the end of the bed, but the damaged shirt was nowhere in sight.
 
“No, mom… but I think something might…” Kagome swallowed very hard, awkwardly wondering if she should even broach the subject of birth control with her mother. She might be twenty, and her mother very understanding, but there could be some limits…but apparently this wasn't one of them.
 
Her mother was very brisk. “We'll deal with that issue first thing tomorrow, dear. As much as I like Inuyasha, you have a mission to complete. Now, where are those pyjamas? I washed them this morning…”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж