InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Phoenix Blade: Time Lapse ❯ Here There Be Serpents ( Chapter 21 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I don't own anything…
 
A/N: Ya might think ya know this episode, but there's a nifty twist coming up…and it directly impinges on how long is `not for a while'…geez, how do you guys know if the lemons are going to be any good?
 
The Phoenix Blade: Time Lapse
Chapter Twenty-One: Here There Be Serpents
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Present Day
 
The evening of the same day the well reopened
 
Kagome was very nervous going back upstairs after she'd eaten. Her arm was throbbing, which made her head throb even more, and that was before Inuyasha had started unnerving her with his quiet, intense manner. It was obvious what was on his mind. It was on her mind, too, but she really did have a headache…
 
Mrs. Higurashi doled out two of the painkillers; Kagome put them in her pocket. “I'll take them after I brush my teeth. Thanks for dinner, mom. It was nice to feel like eating something after the last three days, even with this arm.”
 
“Go to bed, Kagome. You still look exhausted…Inuyasha, please help her, will you?” The hanyou, who hadn't said very much, just watched Kagome with hooded eyes, moved to her side, and began walking her towards the stairs. Kagome went hesitantly, wondering how she was going to tell him it was `hands off' the merchandise for a while yet…
 
Inuyasha leaned against the doorjamb, watching her with that heavy-lidded intensity as she brushed her teeth, and said nothing when she took the painkillers, washing them down with lots of water. He still said nothing when they went to her room, but he did help her undo the sash of her yukata and then held her in a gentle hug. She squeaked a bit when he scooped her and laid her on the bed, but then he tucked her in, brushing her cheek with a chaste kiss. The light was flicked off and he settled on the end of the bed, sitting up against the wall, cradling Tetsusaiga. She was surprised, and really unnerved.
 
“Umm…Inuyasha?”
 
No response from the hanyou, who watched her through his bangs with those smoky amber eyes.
 
“Is something the matter?”
 
“No.”
 
“Then why, um, are you, um…over there?” She'd rather face Naraku without her sword than feel this awkward.
 
“As much as I want to mate you, Kagome, I'd rather wait until you're feeling better. You might enjoy it more, too…”
 
The painkiller began to claim her conscious thoughts. “Yeah, that'd be nice…”
 
“I wouldn't mind if you wore that fancy thing under your armour, too. I'll wash any demon guts out of it…and off you, too.”
 
“Only if you're very, very good, dog-boy…g'night.”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Sengoku Jidai
 
Four weekslater
 
Kagome flexed her arm, testing out the splint that had replaced her heavy cast. Once again, her rapid rate of healing was coming in handy; the cracked bone was already knitted, and the broken one well on its way. She still couldn't use the bow, because the strength required to draw it relied on ligaments and tendons that could re-snap the bones due to the pressures applied. The Armoury had sent a bundle of lightweight javelins, and a carrying case that she could sling over her saddle, but she missed the comforting weight of the quiver against her back. After much practise, she'd discovered that she could flare the javelin the same way as her arrows, but it took more effort, and her aim wasn't as sure. All in all, she couldn't wait to have use of her bow again…
 
She flexed it again, and retightened the straps of her gauntlet. The splint plus gauntlet didn't quite fit under the sleeve of her new leather battledress, so it would have to wait until she was injury-free to put it on. She had never got around to asking Inuyasha if he had any idea of the source of the hide it was made out of; oh, well, that could wait for a bit, when it became colder. This afternoon was warm, but the breeze was cool, and the maples were well on their way to changing into their autumn jackets.
 
The woods, which had been so quiet all summer, were now positively ringing with axstrokes as the woodcutters laid in supplies of fuel for the winter. Inuyasha had been helping out with that in Kaede's village, felling trees with his claws and de-limbing them so swiftly that the villagers were amazed. It went a long way to dispelling the innate distrust they had of the silver-haired inu-youkai. Even Miroku had pitched in to help; of course, the attention he received from the village girls as a result was making his promise to Kagome even harder than usual to obey.
 
Kagome had to admit, there were few finer sights than a stripped-down Inuyasha, glistening with sweat, his lean muscles rippling in the autumn sunlight, going to town on some massive tree. She let him know she was watching, giving him naughty winks whenever he looked her way. He just smirked and flexed for her benefit, which always made her blush, despite how many times she had steamy thoughts about groping those same muscles. A barrier of sorts had come down between them since her injury. Inuyasha could be talked into almost any sort of activity…
 
They'd spent the night of the new moon comfortably at the shrine; she'd put on a festival yukata and convinced him to leave Tetsusaiga and his fire-rat haori behind while they went for a walk to the neighbourhood night market. The only major concession, besides the sword, was to put on a pair of sandals to protect his feet. With both of them in traditional clothing, they had been the recipients of polite attention, especially from a few envious girls. Inuyasha had been patently nervous at first, glancing around at every noise, but had finally relaxed enough to become interested in the shops and food stalls in the commercial quarter. He developed a habit of sliding his hand around Kagome's waist when a shopkeeper spoke to her, or another male admired her slim figure a bit too long, but managed to stifle his urge to step in front of her as a shield. Kagome was pleased that he had gone outside his comfort range for her, and that he pretty much took it in stride after the first half-hour. Years of hiding on that night seemed to be over, so long as they could make it back to the well in time.
 
Inuyasha was sticking to his insistence that they wait until her arm was back to normal before going any farther than they had that night. Kagome was secretly sure that it was because first her cast, and then her splint, gave him a serious guilt trip, never mind the need to wait for the medication to take effect. However, he wasn't above swooping her up into the Goshinboku on both sides of the well for private kissing sessions. He did it often enough that Mrs. Higurashi pointedly reminded them of the mission they were on more than a few times; Inuyasha had grumbled about her being in league with Naraku, because thinking about him was the ultimate mood-killer.
 
He was also miffed that she was sticking with her sports bra. He just didn't get that underwires and Kevlar-type material didn't go together comfortably.
 
The fall weather was holding, and they were a couple of days out from the village, when Miroku found them a rather unusual side mission. The young daughter of the local lord had died suddenly, and the lord was afraid that her soul would be taken by eerie `soul collectors', snake-like glowing entities that had been spotted by several local people over a fairly wide area, coiling around the houses of families who lost young women to death. Miroku was approached by the major-domo of the lord's household in the local market, and asked if he would lead the vigil for the dead, to protect the soul with his holy powers, and comfort the distraught younger sister of the deceased, who was convinced that her soul was also at risk.
 
Inuyasha was really not impressed, and let the whole vicinity know. “If there aren't any shards involved, why the fuck should we waste time on this? Dammit, Miroku, you're as bad as Kagome at taking on these stupid side shows.”
 
“Inuyasha, there is a demon involved, which as you know, may or may not eventually lead to Jewel shards. As we have camped out for the last few nights, an evening within a comfortable palace is also an obvious attraction.”
 
Shippo grinned from his perch on Arashi's rump. “He also heard that the deceased girl was a beauty, and probably wants to check out the sister, too.”
 
“Damn you, houshi…are you going to volunteer to examine the body first and make sure she's really dead?”
 
“Inuyasha! That's disgusting! Miroku isn't that bad… um, are you, houshi-doushi?”
 
Miroku placed his hand over his heart. “Thank you for your expression of faith in me, Kagome-sama. I will pray over the dead, and comfort the living, as Buddha would wish.” Kagome and Shippo groaned, while Inuyasha grumbled something extremely rude and sulked alongside Arashi. The mare whickered and bumped his elbow until he relented and rubbed her muzzle.
 
“Keh! I'm not sure who the biggest animal is around here, Arashi, but it sure ain't you or me.”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
The lord's house was certainly impressive, complete with hot-and-cold running servants. Somehow, Inuyasha and Kagome ended up sitting beside the dead girl, and Miroku was escorted off to offer spiritual comfort to her sister. At a look from Kagome, Shippo scuttled after the monk, and jumped to his shoulder, cheerfully ignoring the resulting startled look.
 
Inuyasha slumped, grumbling again. Kagome poked him in the ribs. “Quit fussing, Inuyasha…at least we have a roof over our heads and had a nice meal that didn't involve anything prepackaged.”
 
He glowered. “We're stuck doing vigil duty, and Miroku's off being lecherous. This is wasting our time, when Naraku is out there somewhere, collecting shards.”
 
“In case you didn't notice, Shippo is with Miroku, and there is a demon involved here. Maybe we'll get lucky, and it will either be Naraku, or will lead us to him.”
 
He gave her a small grin. “Ever the optimist, aren't you?” She smiled back, and scooted closer to his side, leaning her head against his shoulder. He wrapped his arm around her, pulling her close, before glancing at the deceased and deciding to behave himself.
 
The body they were guarding was draped in white, a short sword across the chest to protect against evil spirits. Kagome sighed. “It's so sad…she was so young and had so much to live for. Now she can't even rest in peace, because some demon might try to strip it away.”
 
“Keh! That's humans for you…short lives. Part of the reason why I don't want to be half of one.” Kagome jerked away and glared at him, eyes flashing.
 
“You were willing to become one, once, so don't be such a jerk. You gonna tell me to my face that I'm weak?”
 
Before he could put his foot in his mouth, she stiffened, and spun around on her knees, reaching for her javelin. “Something's here…shit!” She spun back, gasping, as the body of the dead girl abruptly levitated and a cool white vapour issued from its mouth. A glowing, slithering creature slipped in through the room's ventilation slats. It was snake-like, with the head and frill of a lizard and small, delicate legs. Swooping low, it captured the glowing ball of vapour and began to retreat. Inuyasha swiped at it with the Tetsusaiga, cutting it into several disintegrating pieces. The soul re-entered the corpse's mouth, and the body gracefully sank to the floor.
 
Kagome was already outside, flaring the spear tip brilliant silver. “Don't put Tetsusaiga away yet, dog-boy…there's quite a few more out here… Hey, Miroku-sama! Get busy with that Vortex…what's the matter, houshi?” Miroku was looking rather dishevelled, and had a rather plain, although richly dressed, young lady hanging off him who was wailing piteously.
 
“My apologies, fair one, but duty calls…” and he pulled away, leaping agilely over the veranda railings to disappear into the garden. A moment later, the Vortex briefly roared into existence, the pale creatures disappearing nearly instantly.
 
Shippo, chortling, scampered over to Kagome and Inuyasha. “Houshi was more than a little surprised to discover that the eldest sister got all the looks in the family…”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
They were eating a lunch of self-heating rations beside a slow-flowing river, so they didn't have to light a fire until they camped for the night. “Kagome, are there any more noodles?” Shippo asked, wrinkling his nose and sniffing hopefully. She grinned, and passed him another ration container. Then, because the hanyou grumbled, she gave him another one, too.
 
“These foods from your era are very delicious, Kagome-sama…and you say they are issued to your soldiers?”
 
“Yes…armies no longer forage for their food, like they do in this time period, houshi-doushi.”
 
“Are wars fought that differently, then?”
 
“No…the goal is still to win, by killing more of them than they do of you…but the weaponry is mostly long-range. No one carries a sword anymore, except on dress occasions.”
 
“How is it that the Emperor requires a bodyguard, such as yourself, Kagome-sama?”
 
“He actually doesn't, Miroku-sama…I'm sort of a decorative accent at the court. My weapons are meant for show, not use.”
 
“Yet you are as skilled with them as a noble samurai.”
 
She flashed a smile at him. “I've been trained by the very best, Miroku-sama…lucky for me, since Inuyasha tried to kill me shortly after we met the first time.”
 
“Kill you? Surely you jest!”
 
“No. He thought I was someone else, and then he tried to take the Shikon Jewel from me. Of course, that's when it was whole…before I shattered it.”
 
In the silence that followed this remark, Shippo noticed something bobbing in the river. “Anybody feel like doing a little fishing?”
 
An unconscious novice monk was retrieved, and Kagome happened to be the one leaning over him when he woke up. He shrieked like a little girl, and scrabbled away from the young woman, who winced at the volume while looking in puzzlement at her companions.
 
“Aiyeee! It is the accursed priestess!” Kagome did a very slow blink, and sighed. This was going to be a long afternoon…
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
They sat in strained silence after the monk had been sent on his way. Inuyasha stared intently at the ground, as if hoping that the answers to all his questions could be found there. Kagome watched him out of the corner of her eye while she, the monk and the kitsune sipped tea.
 
The novice had sworn that the priestess in question was named Kikyo, and stuck to that assertion even with the threat of Inuyasha's claws in his throat. He told of how his master had sensed a demonic aura over a village upriver, and had confronted the beautiful, human-looking priestess. She was a manufactured construct, created by something unholy and maintained by the souls of the dead. His master had merely wished to bind the creature and return her to the next world, so that she could find peace. The holy man had been slain by the undead miko with a burst of power that had illuminated the whole area. The novice related how he had barely escaped with his life, diving into the river and swimming downstream until he fainted from exhaustion and fright.
 
Kagome finally decided that she couldn't put up with this atmosphere any longer, and started cleaning up the mugs and repacking them into the saddlebags. She walked over to the hanyou, and stood in front of him, her hands on her hips. “All right, dog-boy… shall we?”
 
Inuyasha looked up, startled. “All right, what, wench?”
 
She sighed. “Let's get on with it, and go look for Kikyo.”
 
Miroku coughed delicately. “Excuse me, Kagome-sama, but I do not think searching out a homicidal demonic miko of no small power is the path to a long nor fulfilling life.”
 
“That's one hell of a long way to say `I don't wanna go', houshi.”
 
“I don't wanna go, either, Kagome.” Shippo's voice was very small. “Kikyo scares me.”
 
“I'm going alone.” Heads swivelled in the hanyou's direction.
 
Kagome snorted. “Yeah, right, dog-boy. That witch gets her hands on you, she'll purify you right out of existence. I have an interest in that not happening, so I'm not letting you anywhere near her without a bad-tempered escort. Me.”
 
Inuyasha raised very dark, pain-filled eyes to Kagome's fiery grey ones. “I have to do this by myself. I need to tell her about Naraku; maybe then she can find peace. I've forgiven her…” They locked eyes for a very long moment, and then Kagome slowly nodded, but her expression remained grim.
 
“All right, Inuyasha…but if you aren't back at the village by this time tomorrow, I'll be hunting both of you.”
 
She pivoted away from him on her heel and stalked towards Arashi. Inuyasha arrived in front of her, blocking her path. He caught her gently by the shoulders, forcing her to look at him. “I won't let her get to me, Kagome…you are mine, and I am yours…don't forget that.” There was a long pause, Inuyasha's eyes pleading for understanding, and Kagome's fists balling, then she threw her arms around him and pressed herself against him. She grabbed a handful of sidelock, and tugged his lips down to hers for a very hot, very wet kiss.
 
“You'd better come back, dog-boy,” she whispered against his cheek when they finally came up for air. “How'm I going to get laid, otherwise?”
 
He started to chuckle, clutching her tightly. “Keh! I knew it! The wench was only after my body the whole time…” His expression abruptly sobered, and he kept one arm around her waist while bringing up the other to cup her cheek, running his thumb over her lips and cheekbone, staring intently into her eyes the whole time. “Don't doubt my heart, Kagome, that's all I ask.” She nodded, a large lump in her throat. Inuyasha kissed her gently, and they released each other.
 
Miroku picked up his staff, and Shippo bounded up onto his shoulder. They watched as Kagome swung onto the grey mare and took up the reins. “Until this time tomorrow, Inuyasha. If she harms you, Kikyo won't have to worry about Naraku killing her.”
 
Jerking her head at the monk and the kitsune, she touched Arashi with her heels, and they moved off. Kagome glanced back one more time, to see Inuyasha, his silver hair swirling in the cold breeze, lift one hand in salute, and then disappear into the trees.
 
Once they were out of sight of the hanyou, the armoured girl hefted a javelin very deliberately in her hand, flared it, and threw it with impressive strength, causing a not-small tree up ahead to nearly explode, wood chunks and leaves flying everywhere. Arashi snorted, but kept on walking. Casually, Kagome yanked the spear out of the tortured wood on the way past, returning it to the case hanging off the saddle horn.
 
Shippo and Miroku watched this display silently, then looked at each other.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
It was nearly dark when the trio entered the final leg of their journey. Kagome had remained grimly silent most of the day. Shippo had done his best to cheer her up with chatter and a demonstration of his latest transformations, but not a single smile reached her eyes.
 
“Kagome-sama, it would be a good idea to make camp before the darkness falls much farther.”
 
She started, as if just noticing the time, and then nodded. “Yes. Might as well try to rest…”
 
Shippo located a spot close to a creek, and between the two of them, a warm fire was soon crackling cheerfully, and hot bowls of ramen were passed around. Kagome still said very little, but her movements, Miroku noticed, were very alert…more like the soldier that Inuyasha said she was. He still had trouble imagining the pretty young woman on a battlefield, but he had seen her in action against Sesshomaru, who was easily the most terrifying youkai next to Naraku in the whole Sengoku Jidai.
 
That armour she wore as casually as a he did his own robes was most perplexing, showing a scandalous amount of her shapely legs and shoulders, while containing the tingle of great magic. He could tell that she held a tremendous amount of spiritual power, much of it untapped, but there was also a trace of demonic energy as well. That was the most difficult thing to contemplate. Kagome-sama's miko powers should have burned away the slightest trace of demon…but then that sword would have been useless to her, and it most definitely was not.
 
Despite defining the word `enigma', Kagome-sama was extremely easy on the eyes. Thank Buddha for that, Miroku sighed. Her temper, however, was something spawned directly out of the seventh hell itself…and if the hanyou did not show up on time tomorrow, he figured that the girl would probably pitch a fit that would leave a small swathe of forest levelled. Shippo had retreated to Kagome's bedroll, and was snoring peacefully. Miroku decided to risk a conversation.
 
“Kagome-sama, you seem more than a little perturbed this evening.”
 
“No shit, houshi-doushi. I see your perception is as clear as ever.” She was contrite as soon as she said it. “Sorry, Miroku-sama… today has left me a little on edge. I'm really worried about Inuyasha.” Kagome paused and poked the fire. “He has a soft spot in his heart, and it is making him a little soft-headed where Kikyo is concerned. She'd rather kill him than look at him.”
 
“He feels driven to see that she can rest; that is an admirable trait.”
 
“Not if it gets him killed.” Kagome jabbed the stick she was holding viciously into the embers, and then had to brush away sparks. “Miroku-sama, if something happens to me, I want you to return my body to the well. Will you promise that?”
 
To say he was startled would be an understatement. “Kagome-sama! You are not going to die!”
 
Her gaze was level and full of darkness. “Inuyasha and I share…a connection. I don't know how to describe it, other than if his heartbeat is affected somehow, like being injured … or killed… then my heartbeat is equally affected.” The monk started to speak; she put up her hand. “If I keel over and my heart has stopped, you'll know that Inuyasha is also dead. If that happens, please make sure my body is placed in the well.”
 
Miroku slowly nodded. “This is something that Shippo does not need to know; he views you as his own kin, Kagome-sama, and your death would leave him bereft.”
 
Kagome looked up at the velvety blackness above their heads. “I'll take the first watch, houshi…thank you.” She took a single javelin, and checked her sword, before rising and disappearing into the dark underbrush without a backward glance. Miroku settled back against the tree trunk, his staff across his lap. He figured he ought to meditate on the whole puzzling revelation carefully.
 
He was shaken awake by an urgent girl. “Miroku-sama!” Kagome hissed between clenched teeth. “I found a barrier not far away…I wanted to tell you before I tried it on for size. Stay here and guard Shippo and Arashi.”
 
Miroku grabbed her wrist. “Kagome-sama…surely you do not mean to take this on alone?”
 
“Yes. There is no need to risk all of us…and I don't sense any Jewel shards, so I'll just go on a recce. Don't worry, I'm not going to get myself hurt. It seems to be a spiritual barrier, as opposed to demonic, so it is probably some old hermit or something. I'll be back shortly.”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Gliding silently through the brush, Kagome was briefly reminded of that late June day, nearly four months ago, when she stalked though the glade and found Inuyasha pinned to the Goshinboku. Only four months…time flies when you're having fun… she snorted. Damn, damned, damnable; she wanted her bow and arrows.
 
The barrier shimmered thinly in front of her. Kagome noted that it didn't seem very strong, which reinforced her notion of it being either an old one, or set by a creature with low power levels. She hoped she wouldn't scare the owner too much. Flaring her fingertips, and stepping forward, she was thoroughly startled to pass right through the curtain, and have it close behind her. Damn again.
 
She moved forward, towards a pale glow emanating from a spot deeper in the copse. Pausing to flare the spear tip, she slowly advanced towards the light source, circling a bit to come up on it from the side.
 
Kagome found herself on the edge of a clearing filled with soft light, a light that came from the lower branches of a tree, where globes hung like festival lanterns. Cautiously, she edged closer, instinctively crouching and bringing her spear up to throwing position. Then she saw movement out of the corner of her eye, and realized the upper air space was filled with sinuously winding soul collectors, some carrying glowing souls…shit, the lights in the tree…and others just eddying in the air currents caused by their fellows' movements.
 
That meant a demon was here. Damn. So much for the `old hermit' theory.
 
She glimpsed red in the lower boughs, and then was startled beyond words when she recognized the undead miko reclining in the fork of two massive branches, her white sleeves and dark hair fluttering in the light breezes caused by the soul collectors swooping towards her to drop their stolen burden. Kagome was horrified to see the glowing souls flare brightly for a moment, then sink into the creature's body.
 
Kikyo was now demonic, the same as the frog youkai they had defeated who stored the souls of young women to eat. A demonic miko…exactly what Nazuna had called her, during the spiderheads' attack, on the first night of the new moon. Great. Something else in common with the undead miko that she didn't want.
 
Kagome hefted her charged spear, weighing her options. Kikyo didn't have a bow with her, so they were even that way. There was a temptation…
 
You could take her out with that spear, and solve the problem.
Inuyasha would never forgive me.
You'll regret not taking the chance when it was offered to you
What do you know that I don't?
You'll find out
 
The opportunity was lost, when Kikyo sat up, and fixed her with dark, angry eyes. Kagome stood her ground, holding the spear as it sizzled with energy. For a long moment the two women, mirror images of each other, stared each other down. Then, abruptly, Kikyo smiled, a dark, satisfied smile, and stretched like a cat before jumping down and taking a few steps towards Kagome.
 
“Well, well, well…if it isn't my shadow…”
 
“I'm not anything of yours, Kikyo.”
 
“Oh, yes you are, my dear…otherwise you couldn't have broken through my barrier.”
 
Kagome snorted, her eyes never leaving Kikyo's. “You call that a barrier? I've seen low-grade oni throw up a better one.”
 
Kikyo smiled again. “I see that I will have to erect a stronger one next time, but I still won't be able to keep you out…after all, you have part of my soul still within you.”
 
That I would be more than happy to return to you, Kikyo. I don't know why it split…maybe it didn't want to return completely because you've become somewhat, oh, how shall I say it? Evil?” Kikyo's face, so like and unlike her own, darkened. “You are demonic now, Kikyo. You need the souls of humans to survive, otherwise you would return to dust. I've destroyed others like you to free them…”
 
“Then why didn't you destroy me before, when you had the chance?”
 
Kagome swallowed. “Because Inuyasha would never forgive me.”
 
“Inuyasha…and how is our hanyou?”
 
“He is…fine, despite your attempt to kill him when you were resurrected. He wants you to know the truth about the day you died…”
 
A dark, evil laugh that sounded so much like Naraku's that Kagome's hair nearly stood on end. “The truth? I've never known a demon to tell the truth about anything.”
 
“Since he's only a half-demon, then maybe he's more trustworthy.”
 
Cold eyes locked onto Kagome's own. “He's only after one thing, shadow-maiden…well, in your case, maybe two, and he's nearly got one of them, hasn't he?”
 
Kagome gasped, before blanking her face and pulling herself erect to glare at Kikyo. “I don't know what you're talking about.”
 
The undead miko fluttered her eyelashes in a caricature of coquettishness. “Oh, I think you do, my shadow. The soul that we share allows me to join in with many of the experiences that you have had with Inuyasha. Do you understand me?”
 
Kagome felt her knees buckling, and bile rising in the back of her throat, but fought off both responses to meet Kikyo's amused gaze. “It isn't the same as being there, I can assure you…”
 
“Oh, but it is…your body's response is mine. When your lips touch his skin, so do mine. When his hands arouse you…”
 
“I get the picture, dead bitch.” Kagome's voice was flat; her bangs shaded her eyes as she fought to get herself under control. Gutting Kikyo suddenly seemed a whole lot more attractive…she tried to take the upper hand again. “Inuyasha didn't kill you that morning in the meadow, you know.” Her voice sounded almost conversational.
 
Kikyo laughed. “Of course he did…do you think I'm stupid?”
 
“You are, if you didn't realize that you were tricked. A demon called Naraku, born from the bandit Onigumo, took Inuyasha's form and attacked you. He appeared to Inuyasha as you, and goaded him into attacking the shrine, setting both of you up nicely to die despising each other. His goal was to seize the Jewel from you once it had been defiled by your mutual trust turned to hatred. Inuyasha has sworn to avenge you with Naraku's destruction.”
 
Kikyo seemed to pause, as if she was thinking. Kagome wondered how she could think, without a mass of grey matter in that head. The undead miko's head snapped up, and she glared pure hatred at Kagome. “I know you are not lying, shadow-mine, because our soul tells me so. However, I cannot be brought back to life by Naraku's death. I can only find peace if Inuyasha joins me in hell. That is my goal.”
 
Her hand jabbed out at Kagome; the girl was taken off guard by the blast of power, and couldn't throw up a barrier in time. She was spun, and then restrained by a mass of soul collectors winding themselves around her body. Kikyo's smile was prettily malevolent. “You will not interfere. Inuyasha was mine first, and will be again.” The soul collectors floated her towards the tree that Kikyo had been resting in, and then wrapped themselves around the trunk, binding her securely.
 
Kagome became desperate, as the soul collectors tightened their sinuous grips. “Kikyo, if you take Inuyasha now, Naraku will never be defeated, and will continue to destroy innocent life. You used to be the Jewel's protector…how can you allow him to continue?”
 
An airy wave of the hand. “The Jewel is no longer my concern…it is yours. You will have to do without Inuyasha's assistance. I have decided, and so it shall be.” A dark, bitter smile graced Kikyo's lips. “He comes… it would be interesting to know if you can feel my caresses of him, shadow-mine…” She placed two fingers on Kagome's brow; the girl felt a jolt, and a secondary barrier flared outwards around her, encasing her with the soul collectors. “He cannot hear you now; I have hidden you in plain sight.”
 
Both dark heads swivelled when a figure in red fire-rat crashed into the clearing. Inuyasha stopped dead, his hair swirling forward with his impetus. His lips parted. “Kikyo…” Kagome could have curled up and died when she saw the look in his amber eyes. Kikyo only glanced at her and sniffed, before turning completely towards the hanyou.
 
“Inuyasha…we meet again. How you must hate me…” Her voice, although soft, had a darkly satisfied edge to it, and her eyes gleamed.
 
Inuyasha stepped forward, until he was an arm's length away from both Kikyo and Kagome. His eyes had that bright intensity that Kagome knew only too well. “I know that you hate me, Kikyo…but the feeling isn't mutual. I think about you every day, and wonder if you are all right…”
 
Kikyo stepped towards him, slowly raising her hand towards his face. “Aren't you afraid that I will kill you where you stand, Inuyasha?”
 
He held very still, his eyes locked on hers. “I want you to find peace, Kikyo. It hurts me to think that you are wandering this earth and cannot rest easy in your grave.” Her hand lightly caressed his cheek, and Kagome braced herself, then realized that she couldn't feel the touch. Good thing, too, because what happened next froze her heart, just before fiery anger thundered through her body.
 
Kikyo moved in, and raised herself on tip-toe to kiss the hanyou…and it wasn't a short one. Then, she wrapped her arms around him, and laid her head on his chest, just where Kagome liked to nestle. “Oh, Inuyasha…I wanted to do this while I lived, but I couldn't…please hold me for a while…” His red-clad arms slowly slid around her, and Kagome, blood pounding in her ears, looked away. She snapped her head back around when a deep cracking sound and tremours beneath her feet alerted her to the fact that something else, besides her utter humiliation, was happening.
 
The earth was cracking open beneath Inuyasha and Kikyo. The bitch was opening the gates of hell!
 
The anger flooding through Kagome, fed by the power that linked her to her sword, was more than she could cope with at this point. She started to struggle harder against the silken grip of the soul collectors; they tightened again, making it hard for her to breathe. Icy flames began to lick out of the cracks in the ground, as the entwined couple sank deeper. Kagome started, and then realized that Kikyo was not playing fair.
 
“Kikyo! You can't take a soul to hell that hasn't given consent! You've enchanted him…he'll never rest easy there!” Kikyo turned her head away from Inuyasha's chest, smirked, and flicked her fingers at Kagome. Instant waves of pain struck the girl, but she was unharmed, and then, if she hadn't been held up by the soul collectors, she would have fainted as her heartbeat slowed dangerously in her chest. Crap. She was going along with them, whether she or Kikyo wanted it.
 
No. Not today or any other.
 
Kagome fought a wave of darkness, and focussed her power into her hands, until she broke her sword arm free of the airy serpents, and grabbed Fenikkusuken's hilt. The resulting power surge stunned the soul collectors, and they released her body. Using the sword, Kagome sliced through Kikyo's barrier and stepped away from the tree, her sword and armour crackling with points of fiery starlight. Sparks fountained from her fingertips as she edged along the sinkhole that was steadily forming until she was sure she could hit the undead miko and not Inuyasha.
 
Kikyo watched her, frozen in shock at the power emanating from her reincarnation, and then convulsed as a ball of pure energy struck her, cracking her, and allowing the souls to escape. “No! Not now…I'm so close…” She grabbed tightly onto the hanyou, and tried to speed up the process of opening the earth.
 
Kagome dropped to her knees as another wave of blackness threatened. Gritting her teeth, she carved an arc through the air with her blade, seeking out the barrier that she knew Kikyo must have around them, and was rewarded with a sound like the air itself was being torn open. Sucking a deep breath, she leaned forward and screamed.
 
“Inuyaaashaaaa!” Her heart stopped, and restarted in her chest. She tried again. “Inuyaaashaaa!” The silver head came up, the eyes blank, but ears twitching. A third time she screamed, and his eyes focussed on her.
 
“Kagome! What the hell?” He tore away from Kikyo's grasp, and leapt up to her side, taking the girl in his arms and away from the edge. “What in all the hells is going on?”
 
Kagome grinned weakly at him. “You almost found out exactly how many there are, courtesy of Kikyo.” He spun around, protectively shielding Kagome with his sleeve, as Kikyo rose out of the flaming crevasse, carried by her soul collectors, her face melancholy and sad.
 
“Inuyasha…my shadow means more to you than I do? Remember my kiss…it was real…” Inuyasha held stock-still and watched her go, until a muffled sob came from beside him.
 
Kagome had her face in her hands. He reached for her; she threw up her arm and a barrier blossomed between them, singeing his fingertips. Baffled, he drew back, watching her with wide eyes. “What the hell is this about, wench?”
 
She raised her face to his, tears streaking her cheeks, her chest heaving painfully. “I won't let her take you to hell until we've repaired the Jewel and destroyed Naraku…and even then I'll fight her to save you.” He reached towards her again; she flinched and the barrier pulsed. Her voice became stronger. “My life is yours and yours is mine. If you go to hell with her, I will be there too, because somehow our lives are connected. If Kikyo tries to take you, I will defend you from her, because I have to protect myself.” Kagome shakily pushed herself up to standing, using her sword as support; the barrier grew with her. Inuyasha stood up with her, his eyes intense.
 
“Kagome, take down this barrier…please.” She hadn't heard that note of pleading before; but she hardened her heart, even though it was breaking.
 
“I can't, Inuyasha. I have to protect myself from you, too.” Her tear-filled eyes met his, and became steely. “We have a mission to complete - to defeat Naraku - if Kikyo can't put aside her desire for revenge to assist in his destruction, then I will destroy her myself.” Kagome slumped again to her knees, and rubbed her eyes. “Gods, I hate this…she has part of my soul, and you hold part of my heart…I'll never be free of either of you, dammit!”
 
Inuyasha deliberately reached for her; she dropped the barrier just before he would have been zapped. He wrapped her in his arms and pulled her tightly against his chest; she pushed at him weakly. “I'm not taking Kikyo's sloppy seconds, dog-boy…”
 
He ignored that, and held her possessively. “What do you mean, she has part of your soul?”
 
“Her soul split in half when she was resurrected; part of it stayed with me. The upshot is, we've been having a threesome with her every time we've kissed or made out…and I'm totally creeped out by that.”
 
Ignoring the shudder that accompanied her statement, Inuyasha kissed her forehead and nuzzled her hair. “But I have part of your heart, koishii…and that's more important to me.”
 
She wriggled in his grip. “But if you decide to do something daft-ass, like go to hell with her, you'll take me along too. If your heart stops, so does mine…”
 
He snorted softly, and began stroking his claws through her hair. “I knew that, wench…I knew it the night you freed me from her arrow…and I won't be going to hell with her…Naraku's destruction is the only peace I'll offer her.”
 
Kagome stilled, and searched his face. His eyes were glowing, and she felt her stomach twist. He stroked his claw along her cheekbone, roughly where the cut from Yura's blade had once marked her skin, and then gripped her chin in his fingers, holding her eyes with his. “Kagome…you can't kill her.”
 
“The hell I can't send her back to whichever fiery pit she crawled out of! I'd do it to protect both of us.”
 
“No, Kagome. I wouldn't…I couldn't forgive you if you did.”
 
Kagome wrenched away, and found her feet, her eyes flashing. “You can forgive her for killing you fifty years ago, but not me for protecting you? You'd better straighten out your priorities, dog-boy. I know what mine are.”
 
Inuyasha used her obi to pull her flush against him, tangling a handful of dark hair to keep her immobile while he kissed her hard and rough, then soft and gentle, long and deep. He pulled back, his eyes glowing, while she caught her breath.
 
“Wench…you defy me, challenge me, protect me…does this mean you love me?” Time stopped for a moment, then kick-started, and she shot him a look.
 
“What do you think?”
 
Koishii…” Their kiss was very deep and very hot, until Kagome remembered they had `company' and pulled away, grumbling.
 
“I just can't, Inuyasha…not with her knowing every time I even look at you with indecent thoughts.” He smirked, and kissed her again anyways, nipping her lower lip gently with his fang.
 
“Keh! Then we ought to give her something to be really pissed off about…she never even got close enough to do this, until tonight. You're a way better kisser, anyways…smell better, too.” He smirked again, and caught hold of her sword hand, first kissing the palm, then twirling his tongue between her fingers and sucking lightly on the tips. Kagome held very still, startled at the reactions her body was having to this attention, then swatted him.
 
“Knock it off…I'm still having trouble adjusting to this whole thing, Inuyasha…I really don't like having her in my head. I'll need a while to make peace with it. Stop it, dog-boy! If you're so keen on licking something, you can clean my sword...”
 
“Sure! But fair's fair, wench…only if you promise to lick my sword, too…”
 
“The Tetsusaiga? Any time…”
 
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
A/N ::grins:: I think I drop-kicked the canon right out the window with this chapter! I've never had any patience with the Kikyo/Kagome triangle business, which is why my version of Inuyasha doesn't have any trouble declaring his intentions towards Kagome (see chpts 10 & 11 and 16 of this fic if you are scoffing) and keeping her firmly in his sights. The only thing he sees as important regarding Kikyo is laying her spirit to rest in peace…and he doesn't want Kagome to be her `executioner'. That's where the conflict between them over Kikyo will lie in this AU.
 
Thanks for reading!