InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Phoenix Blade: Time Lapse ❯ Phoenix Rising ( Chapter 23 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

 
Disclaimer: I don't own anything; just borrowing… Having way too much fun to give `em back yet…
 
A/N: Never could figure out why Myoga took the Jewel shard into the cavern for a `closer look' at Midoriko's corpse…the miniscule hentai was probably up to something…
 
Sorry for the late posting…CDN Thanksgiving this weekend, so am up to my armpits in turkey preparations for the big family thrash!
 
The Phoenix Blade: Time Lapse
Chapter Twenty-Three: Phoenix Rising
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Sengoku Jidai
 
 
“Hi, there; I'm Kagome…come here often?”
 
Sango gasped, her mouth opening and closing rapidly, her eyes wide. What in all the hells…?
 
Kagome shifted a bit, to ease pressure on one part of her prisoner's body, while trying not to think about the lecherous comments Miroku would make if he could see her pinning the other girl so intimately. She was also wincing a bit at her very tacky attempt at lightening the tension…smooth move, Higurashi! Nice pickup line…yeesh
 
Sango suddenly screamed in anger, and tried to throw Kagome off, or at least to grab at one of her concealed weapons. Instead, her own momentum was used against her, and she was rolled roughly onto her front, her hands restrained by the wrists, and her sword thrown away. Sango heard its metallic clang as from a great distance, and then fuzzily listened to her captor shouting.
 
“Inuyasha! Help Miroku!”
 
A soft little `miaow' next to her ear got her attention, and then Kirara was rubbing her small muzzle against her face and purring. “Hey, there, pussy cat…you tell your mistress that she's fighting the wrong people here, okay?” Sango wondered at the jocular tone, and then her brain started to process.
 
Inuyasha…murdered village. Miroku…false monk. Kagome…demonic miko. And Kirara accepted them?! The neko-youkai purred some more, and then daintily licked Sango's cheek.
 
“Kirara, I'm going to hurt your mistress a little bit, but it's for the best…Sango, I have to remove this tainted Shikon shard from your back. The dark miasma Naraku soaked it in is poisoning you as it keeps your pain away.”
 
Sango rolled her head to the side so that Kirara could lick more of her face, and groaned heavily. “Like I could do anything to stop you, anyways…”
 
Kagome, while not relinquishing a crushing grip on Sango's wrists, gently probed for the shard, which wasn't very deep. With a careful press, the shard popped right out and fell away. Sango screamed when the full impact of the pain she was in flooded her consciousness; Kirara made little worried sounds, butting her head against her mistress's forehead.
 
Naraku chose that moment to remind the girls that he was there. “Sango…was the miko too much for you? I am surprised… I will await you at the castle, if you should escape…” Kagome turned, and watched the white baboon pelt gliding away, and Miroku taking off in pursuit. Inuyasha made to follow, then turned and came towards them, practically spitting in frustration.
 
“Ya stupid bitch…don't you know when you've been had? That's Naraku you've been dealing with… and you're bleeding to death!” Kirara snarled, and tore off after Miroku, transforming in mid-air into her huge fiery form. “What the hell…?” Kagome and Inuyasha looked on in surprise as the neko-youkai not only caught up with the monk, but with a smooth movement, grabbed and tossed him onto her back before becoming airborne.
 
Sango cried out, and Kagome felt her go limp. She hastily jumped off the slayer's prone body, and began probing for a pulse on the girl's neck. Shippo crept up to her, shivering.
 
“Is she dead, Kagome?”
 
“No, just fainted. The shard was suppressing her pain until I popped it out.” Kagome picked up the shard and it instantly purified; she unclipped the top part of her tunic and shoved it into the small pouch in her cuirass underneath. Then she turned her attention to the girl. “We have to get her back to the village, Inuyasha…then I can start putting her back together, if she hasn't lost too much blood.”
 
The hanyou bounded across the clearing to grab the Hiraikotsu, and came back. “We have to go after Miroku…I ain't gonna leave him to face Naraku alone, so she's just gonna have to suck it up until then. Load her onto my back…you, too, wench and runt…and let's get the hell out of here!”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Thanks to Miroku's energetic efforts, they found him in a standoff against a tentacled horror, of which only the baboon pelt bore any resemblance to the creature they previously faced. Inuyasha dropped the girls, Shippo and the bone boomerang, and took off to join in hacking and slashing the writhing appendages. Kirara was also involved, biting and tearing at the limbs. There was so much movement that Kagome was torn by her desire to get in there, and fear that she might hit one of her friends.
 
A soft moan drew her attention back to the slayer. Sango cracked an eye as Kagome gently moved her sweat-soaked bangs off her face and smiled at her. “Hey, Sango…returning to the land of the living? Here, have a sip of this…” Kagome offered her some water; the slayer shook her head fretfully. “Its okay…its not poisoned or anything.” To prove it, Kagome took a swig herself, and again offered it to Sango, who warily took a small sip. Kagome screwed the cap back on the canteen. “Um, I just wanted to say sorry for dropping you like that, but I didn't want you to die because of something Naraku put you up to.” She flashed a smile at Sango; the slayer didn't quite know what to say, so settled for a snort.
 
A shouted, graphic curse from Miroku, of all people, caught Kagome's attention. He had just been knocked down by a tentacle, which Inuyasha then severed. The tentacles just wriggled hideously, reattached themselves, and went back on the attack. Kagome could see the boys were tiring; she was readying an arrow when Sango spoke.
 
“I can't believe he's a demon; I travelled with him, and didn't once sense any aura around him…”
 
Kagome stood up, notching the arrow, her mind already turning over with the business of target acquisition, trajectory, and distance. “I know…I can't figure it out either. I should be sensing dozens of Jewel shards, and a nasty demonic aura too, but there's just nothing.”
 
Miroku loosened the prayer beads to try and suck in the maddening tentacles as they were detached, but the hell wasps buzzed in, hovering; he cursed again. “Naraku! Why did you destroy the slayer's village?”
 
That mocking voice grated across Sango's raw nerves; the low laugh turned her stomach.
 
“Sango brought back a Jewel shard from her last extermination; I merely mentioned that the defences were down. Yes, a word or two in the correct ears…and I had the perfect cover to acquire the shard in the chaos of battle. It was the work of but a moment…”
 
Miroku was aghast. “All those lives…for one shard? You disgusting…” He bit off the rest of what was bound to be a colourful streak as the tentacles reached for him.
 
Inuyasha shook his silver head as he hacked away. “You're sounding less holy by the minute, houshi…guess I'm a bad influence…”
 
Sango began to shudder; her eyes glowed with fierce resolve. She began assessing the demon in front of her, and finally saw it for what it was - a golem. She whacked Kagome in the shin.
 
“Target its chest…it's not the real thing!” Kagome nodded, and lined up, flaring the arrow brilliant violet-pink.
 
“Incoming!” she shouted, and the two men ducked away, leaving her with a clear shot. The arrow sank into the pelt, sizzled, then exploded, enveloping the creature in coloured flames. When the conflagration burned down, there were only piles of hardened mud, blackened sticks…and a doll. Miroku picked it up cautiously. It was six inches high, roughly human shaped, and wrapped in a couple of strands of black human hair. Inuyasha sniffed at it, and recoiled, his hand over his nose.
 
“Shit! Thing reeks like Naraku…”
 
“Destroy it,” Sango rasped. The monk dropped it and smashed down with the metal-tipped end of his staff, splintering the scorched wood. He rapidly closed the distance between himself and the girls, dropping to his knees beside Sango.
 
“Sama, what was that thing you had me destroy?”
 
“It's a demon puppet; Naraku is sitting back in his castle, controlling it and seeing through its eyes. He's a coward; he'd never risk himself in battle unless he was very sure that his victory was pre-ordained.” She closed her eyes as she said this last, and exhaled slowly until she was completely limp.
 
Kagome felt for a pulse; it was fluttering and weak. “Inuyasha! Let's move…she'll die if we don't stop the bleeding!” Instead, the giant neko-youkai shouldered past the hanyou and presented herself to Kagome, rumbling in her throat. Kagome nodded, and had Miroku help load Sango onto the cat's broad back, climbing up behind to steady the unconscious girl against her shoulder. “Come on, Shippo…I'll need your help, too.” The kit scrambled up Kirara's leg and perched between the cat's ears. Kagome looked grimly at the two men. “Get back to the village as quickly as you can…there's still some cleanup to do before Sango wakes up.”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
The inside of the hut was darkened and still; the fire had burned down to embers. Kagome quietly stood up from the side of the futon where she had been checking Sango for signs of fever. Sighing, she slipped over to prop herself against the wall for a moment.
 
When she had removed Sango's armour three days previously, she had been truly appalled at the extent of the other girl's injuries. She was literally covered in dirt, bruises and cuts, the worst being a huge, deep puncture wound in the centre of her back. It was truly miraculous that whatever had done it hadn't cut her spinal cord. Sango had woken up, screaming, as her injuries were bathed with saline; Kagome had given her a dose of morphine to send her into a deep sleep while she stitched her back together. Shippo had been very brave, handing her the scalpels, sutures and bandages, even though his lips were quivering and tears kept running down his face.
 
And to think she'd scoffed at ever using that field medic training…
 
It had taken a couple of hours, but finally every wound was taken care of, and Sango was wrapped in field dressings and blankets and left to sleep. Kagome and Shippo cleaned up the detritus, and retrieved some self-heating rations for themselves and Miroku and Inuyasha. The men had stuck their heads in the hut to say they were back; they had then disappeared to begin the burial process. The four ate in silence out on the ground in front of the hut; Kagome had tucked herself up against Inuyasha. The hanyou hugged her against him, and kissed her brow.
 
“You did your best, Kagome…now it's up to Sango. She seems pretty tough. You and Shippo should look in on Arashi…she's been cooped up in the stable since yesterday.”
 
Kagome and Shippo did just that, and took the mare to the far side of the village. They discovered that the stockade only extended on three sides; the fourth wall was comprised of a sheer cliff that rose upwards for hundreds of feet. Kagome surmised that the well water must percolate down from this massif, as it was rather odd to find a brimming water supply on top of a crag. Shippo was peering under a bush at the base of the cliff, his bushy tail quivering.
 
“Hey, Kagome…come here! I found a cave!”
 
“Really, Ship-dip? …oh…crap…”
 
Shippo turned to see the girl backing away, her face white. “What's the matter, Kagome?”
 
She swallowed. “There's a strong aura coming from that cave, Shippo…sort of demonic and sort of spiritual…but it's making me feel really ill…” When they returned to the burial site, she mentioned the cave, but not her reaction to it, giving Shippo a warning look when he started to say something. Inuyasha sniffed suspiciously in her direction, and she mentally cursed his ability to `smell' sickness. “I'm going to lie down…I'm not feeling really well. I might as well sleep while my patient does.”
 
That had been three days ago. Sango had only woken up once during that time, while Kagome was changing the dressings, and she'd had to knock her out again with more morphine. The injured slayer's breathing was light but steady; Kagome hoped the induced-coma-like-state was helping her to heal. She sighed again, stood up, stretching, and then shrugged into her leather tunic and picked up her sword.
 
“What'cha doin', wench?” A pair of golden eyes glowed from across the room.
 
“Just going out to visit the latrine…keep an eye on Sango for me, please?” Inuyasha nodded, and she slipped out the door.
 
It was cold outside; Kagome shivered after the warmth of the hut, and quickly did up the metal clips, her teeth chattering lightly. Tucking her sword under her arm and her hands into her sleeves, she began to quickly walk in the direction of the latrines on the other side of the compound. She had to pass by the graves, and stopped for a moment to gaze over the silvered mounds in the chill moonlight. The broken weapons scattered here and there on the tops of certain graves gleamed coldly, and the bits of greenery Shippo had placed on the others stirred in the breeze. Kagome hoped that the spirits of those now sleeping in the cold earth could find peace. The young woman shuddered, and continued walking briskly to her destination.
 
On her way back, she paused to admire the crescent moon standing starkly against the velvety blackness. The breeze whirled, sending leaves scudding across her path. Sighing, Kagome took a step towards the hut…and stopped dead.
 
The breeze wrapped around her, whipping her loosened hair, swirling leaves up in a spiral towards the sky. Kagome snapped her head around as a voice whispered sibilantly in her ear. `Comeit is time…'
 
That voice…damn, damned, damnable…not again! In one movement, she whipped out her blade and spun in a slashing circle, flowing immediately into a stance, head darting, eyes squinting as she tried to see her foe in the shadows.
 
A light chuckle sounded in her other ear. `Impressive, hatchlingbut now you must come to me…' Kagome twisted and struck, slicing nothing but air; her momentum took her in a full circle and slightly off-balance. The breeze wrapped tightly around her, suddenly gaining substance; bluish light flared around her, and Kagome found herself unable to resist. The breeze pushed against her, ushering her away from the hut and towards the looming cliff. Her stomach lurching, Kagome knew exactly where she was being taken.
 
She would have preferred a well to that cave.
 
Inuyasha…
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Inuyasha woke from his light doze with a start. His ears twitched; he could have sworn he heard Kagome call his name. He scanned the hut…no grey-eyed girl. Sango was sleeping peacefully, Shippo and Kirara curled up at her feet. He reached over and prodded Miroku with a claw. The monk cracked a lid, and arched his eyebrow quizzically at the hanyou.
 
“I'm going to check around outside…Kagome isn't back yet. Watch over Sango… and keep your damn hands to yourself.” Miroku merely rolled his one open eye, and closed it again. The hanyou settled Tetsusaiga at his hip as he stepped past the matting; closing his eyes, he sniffed long and deeply. The influx of cold, sharp air into his sensitive nose made him sneeze; he snuffled again, and picked up her floral scent…touched with alarm. Cursing, he launched off, only to come up short.
 
Kirara looked at him with her great red eyes, moonlight gleaming off her fangs. How the hell did she do that? he wondered, before walking towards her, his hands held out flat. The neko-youkai growled, a low menacing sound, the flames around her feet shooting upwards. Inuyasha paused, cocking his head at her. “What's the matter, Kirara…I have to find Kagome, so get out of the way, already.” Kirara's growl turned into a snarl, and he took a pace backwards, gripping Tetsusaiga's scabbard tightly. He really didn't want to hurt the youkai, but Kagome needed him, dammit!
 
Kirara was gathering herself, apparently for a spring, when she cocked her head, like she was being called. With a soft growl at Inuyasha, she turned her back and began to walk away from him, into the darkness. Stunned for a moment, he growled himself and stealthily followed her.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Kagome was half-dragged into the cave by the invisible power masquerading as a night breeze, resisting all the way. The sensationally strong aura, mixing spiritual and demonic power, pressed in on her until she thought she was going to choke. Deeper and deeper she was pushed and tugged, until a faint glowing light was discernable. At the entrance to a far larger cavern, the insistent wind dropped away; Kagome began to back up, only to run into a barrier that sparked and knocked her forward.
 
Getting a grip on herself and her sword hilt, Kagome edged forward, her eyes trying to pierce the darkness. She had the definite sensation that she was being watched very intently; licking her lips, she moved in the direction of the glowing light.
 
Hope that's not Kikyo and her slithery buddies
 
The glowing light finally revealed itself to be a horribly contorted frozen statue rising out of a chaotic jumble on the floor of the cavern. Kagome stopped, hand flying to her mouth, as she realized that most of it was an enormous demon. Tracing the coils of its carcass with her eyes, she saw the body of a human half-consumed in its jaws, and her heart rate accelerated. The human wore armour that was antique even by Sengoku Jidai standards, and had long hair that hung down past the body's waist, ruffling in the light breeze racing around the cavern. Staring at the body, Kagome noticed an ugly, baseball-sized hole driven right through the chest.
 
`The Shikon Jewel was born from me, hatchling…I sacrificed myself in order to seal this demon'
 
Kagome slowly pivoted in the direction of the voice, which was odd, since it sounded mostly inside her head, and found herself facing an armoured woman leaning casually on a sword. The woman's body glowed with blue light; shifting tendrils of pink wove around her. Without taking her eyes from the woman, Kagome sank into a defensive stance.
 
She looks just like…the body over thereno demonic aura…could she be…?
 
The woman laughed, an eerie, echoing sound inside Kagome's head. `You need not fear me, hatchling…I have summoned you to awaken the Phoenix'
 
Kagome did not answer, merely tensed her stance, holding her blade outwards to deflect an expected blow. The woman cocked her head to one side. `Put up your blade, hatchling…I will test your sword later, when you are more of a match for me'
 
More of a match… Kagome found her voice. “Who are you…and stop calling me `hatchling'!”
 
`Oh, ho…I am the priestess Midoriko, my downy hatchling…you are not even a fledgling, never mind the Phoenix of Legend…not yet, anyways'
 
Kagome seethed. Unconsciously, she cracked the knuckles of her free hand, and her fingertips began to flame with silver light. Midoriko clapped her hands. `Very good, hatchling…show me your control of your powers'
 
Kagome, startled, let the flames die away.
 
Midoriko smacked her forehead and groaned. `By all the hellsfor this I have been waiting?'
 
Kagome's hackles went up. “You don't seem very, uh, priestess-like to me…Midoriko-sama,” she snapped.
 
The woman smirked right back, `I could say the same for you, hatchlingyet I will do my best with you…'
 
Kagome sheathed her blade with a `click' and snarled “No one asked me if I wanted anything to do with you…I've already been named as the Protector of the Jewel and the Phoenix of Legend.” Midoriko's eyebrows climbed towards her hairline as her lip curled, which only pissed off Kagome even more. “Okay, so somebody jumped the gun…I don't suppose you'd like to explain them to me, or would you rather just stand around and insult me some more, Midoriko-sama?”
 
Inwardly, Kagome grimaced. I can't believe I'm having a conversation with a figment of my imagination.
 
Midoriko sighed heavily. `Very well, hatchling, I will explain. First, hold out both of your hands…I must see how big of a disaster this might be…concentrate your spiritual power in one hand…'
 
Kagome obeyed, eyeing the woman warily. With little effort, she produced a violet-pink flame that danced on her palm. Midoriko nodded. `Do the same in your other hand with your demonic power…' This took a little more time, as the silver flames snapped and crackled, but finally steadied. `Not bad…now combine them'
 
Hesitantly, Kagome brought her hands together and cupped them. She willed the flames to layer over each other, but instead they intermixed in a roiling flare of power that nearly singed her eyebrows. Midoriko appeared in front of her, grasping her hands in her own. The ghostly priestess' hands felt cool and smooth, as their owner stared into the dancing flames. `Your power is greater than I expected, but not well controlled…I can work with this' She looked at the girl, her dark eyes measuring and judging. Midoriko let Kagome's hands drop, and moved back a few steps. `You may ask any questions you wish, hatchling…'
 
Kagome clapped her hands together, extinguishing the lights dancing on her palms, and thought quickly. “Why do I have demonic powers? Am I…am I some… kind of hanyou?”
 
Midoriko snorted. `That's two questions, hatchling'
 
Kagome stifled the desire to plant her fist in Midoriko's smooth forehead.
 
`You are most definitely not a hanyou. The Shikon Jewel was reborn within your body. Its very essence has entered your blood, your flesh…'
 
“That still doesn't explain why...”
 
Midoriko glared at her; Kagome subsided. The woman cleared her throat. `Within the Jewel itself, the perpetual battle between good and evil still rages. This is why the Jewel can be either tainted or purified. Due to the Shikon's presence in your flesh, you have been gifted with a greater spiritual power than that of your predecessor, as well as the demon-trace, which allows you to wield your sword'
 
Kagome paused, biting her lip while she processed that information, then decided to spill. “I have to confess…I, um, shattered the Jewel myself…and now we face a horrible demon named Naraku, who is trying to gather the shards for himself. He engineered the slaughter of the slayers' village…”
 
The woman's face grew grim. `I do not blame you because you were protecting innocent lifeNarakuHis kind has been faced before'
 
How do you know about the shattering of the Jewel…hey, you're not inside my head, too, are you?!” Kagome was momentarily horrified.
 
Midoriko smirked. `In a manner of speaking, yes…'
 
“Gaaaaah! HOW!?!”
 
`I have been with you since your birth, because the Jewel was also within you…I was there through your childhood and throughout your trainingas long as you carry a shard, I am with you'
 
Kagome stiffened, glaring daggers at her. “You wouldn't happen to be the little voice that keeps urging me to jump dog-boy, would you?”
 
This time the woman laughed merrily. `Not guilty…that would be something to discuss with that blade of yoursit has only been encouraged by the darker part of the Jewel…'
 
The girl felt dizzy. First Kikyo, now Midoriko…and Fenikkusuken? She hadn't been invited to the house party going on in her head, and here she was hosting the whole freaking thing. Damn, damned, damnable…She was getting lost in some really grumpy thoughts when Midoriko cleared her throat significantly. Kagome's head shot up, and saw the woman roll her eyes while tapping her foot.
 
It was a long shot…but…“Can you do anything about Kikyo's soul?”
 
`Her soul is her own…'
 
“Wrong. Part of it has remained with me…and now she knows whenever I'm…um…thinking or doing…um…naughty bits…” Her voice trailed off hopefully.
 
`Since you are not usually carrying a shard when this happens, I can't help you theremind you, that one kiss was rather spectacularnow, if you did keep a shard handy…'
 
“Forget it! Two's company, three's definitely a crowd!”
 
The woman snickered at Kagome's red face, and swung her sword gently from hand to hand, while the girl composed herself.
 
“Midoriko… am I… the Phoenix of Legend? What does that mean, exactly?” Kagome found herself biting her lip and fidgeting a bit, as she searched the woman's face, waiting for an answer.
 
A smile curved the woman's lips, and her dark eyes danced. `You are the Phoenix, hatchling…but first you must learn to fly'
 
She stepped away from Kagome and bowed to her. Puzzled, Kagome returned the gesture. Around them, a circle of low blue flames ignited, marking out…a combat circle. The girl looked around cautiously, then met Midoriko's eyes. `Draw your sword, hatchling…I'll go easy on you for the first round…'
 
Kagome's eyes narrowed. “Don't do me any favours, Midoriko…I fight to win…and stop calling me `hatchling'!” She took up an attack stance, steadying the scabbard in one hand, her other poised over the hilt. Midoriko drew her own katana, and held it casually.
 
`Put your hand on the hilt, hatchling…let the power flow from your body into the blade…it is like charging your arrows, but instead of releasing the power, you concentrate it and contain it in the weapon…'
 
“I've never done that…”
 
`I believe you caused Inuyasha to briefly imitate a crane, did you not, the day you awakened him?'
 
“Oh, uh, yeah, right…um… but I haven't been able to do that since!”
 
Midoriko looked heavenward, and took a deep breath. `Why do you think I summoned you, hatchling…gods preserve me, this is like pulling hen's teeth…'
 
In a blur of speed, Kagome drew, and dove at the other woman, scoring a hit on her hip. Midoriko seemed mildly surprised, and patted the affected part. `Very good…for gaining your first strike on me, I'll promote you to `fledgling'…I'll admit you caught me off guard…but don't leave yourself open after an attack' Then she moved, and Kagome was thrown on the defensive, circling backwards, deflecting and parrying attack after attack. The leather tunic deflected much of the force of each blow, but she was going to have some bruises…Lord Kogashu would be snickering. She was starting to tire, but she had to keep going…there was a noise in the back of her brain…fumbling, she identified it.
 
Her sword was screaming at her.
 
Go away. I'm busy…hey, you're involved here too, you metallic twit!
Release us, you sorry excuse for a miko!
Whaa…?
Concentrate us into the blade
Huh?!
Just like in your hands, like you did before Midoriko started kicking your ass!
She's not kicking my ass…and we are going to have a talk, you rusty toothpick…
If I'm rusty, who's fault is that, fledgling?
Fuck off and make yourself useful…
 
Kagome concentrated, and waited, warding off Midoriko's energetic attacks. I guess when you're already dead, you don't tire out, Kagome thought sourly. The red and green coils sprang to life, whirling down the blade, closely followed by a silver shimmer. Midoriko paused, frowning at the light show. `Excellent, fledgling…control your emotions and control the energyyou hack and slash too much, however; no elegance of movement at all…what would Lord Sessaki say about your lousy swordsmanship?…'
 
“Most of the demons we've fought and defeated don't spend too much time on correct stances…we keep it quick and dirty to avoid casualties…Hyaaahh!”
 
She lunged, was deflected, followed up with a side slash, was thrown back. She barely had time to draw a breath, when the pace of the action sped up dramatically. Again and again Midoriko drove at her; their swords clashing, Kagome pivoting, swinging, thrusting, parrying while a flaming Fenikkusuken sang a ringing paean to battle as the two women spun their deadly dance inside the blue flames.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Inuyasha had cautiously followed Kirara through the village and into the cave. His eyes didn't have any problem in the near-total darkness; all he had to do was keep the neko-youkai's swaying tails in his sights. If he didn't smell Kagome, and hadn't felt her heart beat accelerate, he probably would have stopped, because this cave seemed to have no end.
 
Finally, he glimpsed a glimmering wall stretching over the entire tunnel mouth just ahead. Kirara walked right up to it, and sat down, watching something on the other side with great interest. She looked over her massive shoulder at the hanyou, and jerked her head, rumbling, then turned to passively observe. Inuyasha came up beside her, and was stunned to see Kagome engaged in heated battle with …a wisp of light… that flickered and danced around the girl as she whirled, slashed and swung. It looked like Kagome was shadow-fighting…until he noticed the sparks flying whenever the glowing blade made contact near the wisp.
 
Then he noticed the battle aura surrounding the girl. Even through the shimmering barrier, he could see a swirling veil of sparkling silver rising around her, encasing her in sheer flames.
 
What in all the hells…?
The wench has found her groove…finally!
What's that supposed to mean?
She owns your ass, that's what
I've been trying to give it to her for a while now, don't forget…
*snickers* This is on a whole different level, dog-boy
 
The wisp of light retreated to the side of the flame-outlined combat circle closest to the barrier; Kagome remained on the far side, panting, her sword still held horizontally, honed edge outward. He instinctively reached toward her; Kirara growled and knocked his hand away from the barrier. The wisp twisted…and the barrier dissolved.
 
He found himself looking at a petite, dark-haired woman dressed in antique battle armour, a merry twinkle in her dark eyes. `So this is the pup who would mate the Phoenix, is it?either a brave man, or a fool…welcome, son of Inutaisho...'
 
Inuyasha jolted when he realized the voice was inside his head. He glanced at Kagome, who hadn't moved an inch…and froze when he looked into her eyes. From across the space, he could see that the pupils had contracted so much, they had nearly disappeared…and the irises were molten, glowing silver. She looked both at him and right through him; her harsh breathing echoing in the cavern, her dark hair tumbling loose over her shoulders, lit by a faintly crackling halo of power. Behind Kagome, a glowing twisted sculpture rose up; he didn't have a chance to examine it too closely when Kirara rumbled deeply, and moved past him, around the blue flames to stand behind Kagome. He turned to the woman, his hand straying towards Tetsusaiga's hilt.
 
“What the hell did you do to her?”
 
The woman smiled. `Behold the Phoenix of Legend, Inuyasha…the weapon with which Naraku will be destroyed…'
 
Inuyasha fixed the woman with his best death glare, and flicked Tetsusaiga's blade guard. “Kagome is not a weapon…pain in the ass, maybe…but not a weapon!”
 
`I agree with the `pain in the ass'…take your hand away from Tetsusaiga, hanyouI am Midoriko, the creator of the Jewel…Kagome's destiny is to repair it and remove it from this world, bringing about the destruction of evil at the same time…do not oppose her in this…'
 
Once again, his mouth engaged before his brain. “Is it true that the completed Jewel can grant wishes?”
 
A very sharp sword tip was abruptly resting at the base of his throat. `Think on this, hanyou…if you were to use the unpurified Jewel to make an even more tainted wish, all the evil absorbed into the Jewel would twist you utterly…you would have to be put down like a rabid dog…' The sword tip never wavered, and he gulped. Those dark eyes scorched his. `The Phoenix would defend you to the hell-gates…make sure you are worthy of her…' The sword tip lifted away, and Midoriko stepped back; he nodded slowly, remembering to breathe.
 
The petite woman walked right through the blue flames. `Your hanyou has arrived, fledgling…put the Phoenix to rest…your ability to fly will become stronger with practise…' Kagome blinked, hard, and dropped her sword until the tip rested lightly on the ground. She shook her head, and when she opened her eyes again, Inuyasha was relieved to see they were their normal shade of grey. She smiled at him, and was about to say something, when the flame-outlined combat circle vanished, and Kirara slipped up beside her, bumping her elbow with her massive head, then transformed to her kitten form and bounced up onto Kagome's shoulder, wrapping a tail around her neck and purring loudly.
 
`Ah, Kirara…so glad you approve... `
 
Kagome sheathed her sword, and walked over to Inuyasha, smiling up at him before spinning around to stand beside him. “Midoriko… that energy I felt…the way my sword responded…is that what it means to be the Phoenix?”
 
`Partiallyboth you and the Jewel rose out of the flames of Kikyo's funeral pyre…your mission and your duty is to protect the Jewel, and make sure that it remains safe from evil's taint…unlike Kikyo, whose powers lessened when she strayed from the path of duty and hoped to escape her destiny…' Midoriko paused briefly and flashed a look at the hanyou that had him flushing `…your spiritual powers are only enhanced by your feelings for others. That is the gift of being the Phoenix…'
 
The girl visibly drooped. “I-I think I knew all along that I had to try to fix the Jewel…but I didn't think…never expected…that it would all be up to me to destroy Naraku…” Inuyasha rested his hand on her shoulder, tangling a couple of dark strands in his claws.
 
`Ah, but it isn't, fledgling…you stand with a company of companions, bound together by your desire to put an end to evilyou are each other's greatest strengththe slayer completes the circle…'
 
Kagome paled. Midoriko smiled, and continued. `It is a heavy responsibility, fledgling…but you are not aloneremember, so long as you have even the smallest shard in your possession, I am with you. So is the demonic side, so you must be on your guard to control your temper…that is when the demon rises, as your hanyou knows all too well…'
 
Kirara mewed, hopped down, and transformed back into her fiery-footed form, presenting her broad back to Kagome. She looked at Midoriko, who nodded. `Fare thee well, fledgling…you will truly be the Phoenix of Legend when next we meet…'
 
Kagome stepped out from behind the fire-cat and straightened herself, then executed a very deep, very formal bow. “Thank you, Midoriko-sama…”
 
Midoriko bowed back. `It was a pleasure kicking your ass, fledgling…'
 
“Grrr…would you stop calling me that?!”
 
With a chuckle, the priestess was gone. Inuyasha nudged Kagome as she was balling her fists. “Ya gotta control that, koishii…you heard the lady…” Kirara growled, and backed into Kagome's legs. “I think kitty wants to give you a lift out of here…let's go…we shouldn't leave the houshi alone with Sango any longer than we have to.”
 
“She's injured! Even he wouldn't stoop so low…oh, yeah, right…forgot who we were talking about for a moment there…” She swung up onto the fire-cat's back; Kirara didn't move, just cocked her head at Inuyasha. “You too, dog-boy…hey, do you think you could be my sparring partner? I want to try some of those moves Midoriko used on me…”
 
The hanyou slid on behind her, and wound his arms around her slender waist, resting his chin on her shoulder as the cat moved off up the tunnel. “How about I put some moves on you right now?” Kirara growled warningly, forestalling Kagome's response.
 
“I was hoping that Midoriko could do something about my `hitchhiker', but no such luck…unless I wear the Jewel shards while we um, mess around, and then Midoriko can join in too…she thinks you're a great kisser, by the way.”
 
“Really?…three mikos at once are even a bit too much for me to handle…we'd have to invite Miroku, too…yowch!” Inuyasha rubbed his backside where it had contacted the rocky tunnel floor, then stood up, grinning and followed the cat and girl up and out.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
One week later
 
“Sango-sama…time to change your dressings….what?” An empty futon, the blankets pushed aside, was all the evidence left that the slayer had laid there for ten days, hovering on the edge of death for the first four. She had been lucid for the last couple of days, but very weak. Kagome put down the box of medical supplies, and went looking for the girl.
 
She waved at the boys, who were poking at a fire on the far side of the compound. Inuyasha and Miroku had finished the business of clean up, and were burning the left over odds and ends of wood, assisted by Shippo. The hanyou was getting fidgety at the enforced wait; Kagome had enlisted him as a sparring partner, but it only went so far to keep his tremendous energy levels in check. She also suspected he was holding back a bit; but whether it was because he didn't want to accidentally hurt her, or be blasted by the sword, she wasn't too sure. The Tetsusaiga didn't care for sparring; every time it slid out of the sheath but couldn't transform, it groused the whole way through.
 
The trouble was, she couldn't get Fenikkusuken to channel anything unless there was a threat…or she felt threatened…and facing off against a smirking hanyou making lewd comments related to lengths of swords wasn't exactly threatening. Irritating, but not threatening. It had seemed so easy during her encounter with Midoriko…obviously she was missing something. Flaring arrows and letting the energy go was one thing; containing the energy within a weapon something else entirely.
 
These musings carried her half way around the stockade. If Sango was well enough to be out of bed, maybe they could head out…Arashi was capable of carrying two. Then she spotted the girl, curled up on the ground, Kirara by her side.
 
Sango was sitting in front of the largest of the grave mounds, stroking the fire-cat's fur, her head bowed. Kagome paused a moment, then paced forward slowly, making as much noise as possible so she didn't take the slayer unaware. The girl looked up at Kagome's approach, and she picked up her pace.
 
“Hello, Sango-sama…I came to change your bandages, but you were gone…are you feeling stronger?”
 
Sango didn't appear to hear her; she had turned her head to stare over the graves. “You…buried them?”
 
Kagome rubbed the back of her neck. “Inuyasha and Miroku, actually…I'm really sorry that we couldn't do anything to prevent it, Sango-sama. By the time we reached the village, it was all over…they died well, though.”
 
Sango waved her hand. “Please, just Sango…I'm no lady.”
 
“Neither am I…Sango, would you like to come with us when we move on from here? We can escort you to any relatives that you may have…”
 
“I am alone…my whole family died in Naraku's trap. If I come with you, will Naraku make another attempt to seize the shards you carry?”
 
“Probably…we're kind of in a race with him to collect all the shards…we'll undoubtedly face off against him again.”
 
“Then I will come with you…”
 
Kagome grinned. “If killing Naraku is on your agenda, you'll have to take a number. Inuyasha and Miroku also have personal grudges against him…”
 
“How about you, Kagome?”
 
“I was…am the Protector of the Jewel. I shattered it accidentally, and now I must put it back together and remove it from this world. Naraku is an asshole that has hurt too many people…he killed the priestess who guarded the Jewel fifty years ago…”
 
“Do you mean the priestess Kikyo?”
 
Kagome stared, wide-eyed. “You…know about Kikyo?”
 
Sango slowly rose to her feet and wobbled dangerously; Kagome ducked under her arm and wrapped an arm around her waist to steady her. “My grandfather died after a battle with a powerful demon; the tainted Jewel popped out of the creature's body. He directed that it be sent to a priestess noted for her purity and spiritual powers…named Kikyo. We later heard that she had died, and the Jewel destroyed with her body. How are you connected, Kagome?”
 
“I'm…her reincarnation. The Jewel was born inside my body, and I was brought to this time by Midoriko to fight the battle against Naraku.”
 
Sango nearly fell over, despite Kagome's grip on her. “M-Midoriko?”
 
“Yes…she's quite a gal…I'll tell you about it sometime. But, she did say something that pertains to you, Sango. You complete our circle, and it is because of the Jewel of Four Souls…maybe you could explain?”
 
“I'll try…Kagome, tell me something. Is that monk always so…friendly?”
 
“Umm…I think he refers to it as being `deeply affectionate', Sango.”