InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Phoenix Blade: Time Lapse ❯ A Cunning Scheme ( Chapter 24 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I don't own anything… Nimbly dodges another dude in a sharkskin suit…
 
A/N: Kagome is going to become a bit darker and grouchier from now on…the poor girl's had rather a large responsibility deposited on her shoulders, to whit, a)defeat bad guy, b)save the world, c)not kill sweetie's ex-girlfriend, d)not `sit' aforementioned sweetie into the fifth hell over c).
 
The Phoenix Blade: Time Lapse
Chapter Twenty-Four: A Cunning Scheme
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Sengoku Jidai
 
“Explain it to me again, Sango…I'm really listening, honest! My Ojii-chan used to tell stories about the Shikon Jewel, but I don't think he ever mentioned the four souls making it up.” Sango was sloshing around behind her in the hot spring, and Kagome could almost hear her roll her eyes.
 
The two girls had started the tradition right away of bathing together, but not in the usual sense. Knowing the houshi as well as she did, Kagome didn't trust him if they both hit the water together, so the girls took turns guarding each other at their moment of greatest vulnerability. They were still able to talk, however, and Kagome admitted to pestering Sango for the story of how Midoriko defeated the monstrous demon in the cave by sealing its soul with hers and creating the Shikon Jewel.
 
“Tell me again about the man in the demon's belly.”
 
“They say that a man desired Midoriko's body, and he allowed the demons to possess him, until his body became the crucible that formed the gigantic creature you saw in the cavern.”
 
Kagome shuddered. Inuyasha had not reacted well the first time Sango had told them this part of the story, as they sat around the fire the evening of the day she asked to join their group. Miroku stirred the pot by telling Sango of how the bandit Onigumo had desired Kikyo, and offered his body to the demons until he became Naraku, then entrapped both her and Inuyasha in an attempt to taint the now purified Jewel. The hanyou was growling audibly by the time the houshi finished; Kagome giving him a hairy eyeball caused him to fling himself out the door of the hut and retreat to the roof for the remainder of the night. The startled pause in conversation resumed with comparisons of how Midoriko, then Kikyo, had been destroyed by many demons melded into one.
 
Kagome had kept that she was supposed to defeat Naraku to herself. Her destiny rose up in her throat and choked her into silence…and she really didn't want to think about the shortened life span of her immediate predecessor.
 
If she had been silent, Inuyasha been grumpy all the next day after his night of roof-roosting, until he finally `fessed up to the group that Midoriko had pretty much threatened to kill him if he tried to make his wish on the Jewel. Kagome had a funny feeling in the pit of her stomach, when she heard the fine edge of longing in his voice, but she wasn't sure if that was nostalgia over Kikyo, or regret over losing the chance to become a demon. She'd kept her distance, though, riding double with Sango on Arashi, and not meeting the hanyou's eyes.
 
That hadn't improved his temper, and he'd worked off some of it by taking offence at Shippo's teasing, and chasing the nimble kit all over the near vicinity. Shippo had escaped a thumping by shooting up Arashi's leg and squeezing in between the two girls, though he'd nearly done himself in anyways by sticking his tongue out at the angry hanyou from his safe haven. Inuyasha had stormed off when Kagome gently reminded him that she hadn't invoked the `s' word in a while, and she didn't think this was really worth it.
 
Coming back to the present with a start, she snapped her head around to probe the bushes for movement. She thought she heard a rustling sound…sort of like the rings on the end of Miroku's staff…? Keeping a weather eye on that sector, she continued the conversation. “I'm really glad you decided to come with us, Sango. It's nice to have another girl travelling with us…” Kagome turned slightly, and saw the naked slayer reaching for her clothing. The healing puncture wound on her back was angry and red; Kagome knew that it wasn't infected, but it sure looked unpleasant. “Sango, do you want some special cream for your scar…it will help to make it less uncomfortable…”
 
“The pain reminds me every day of my vow to destroy Naraku, Kagome. It will be my constant travelling companion, just as you are now…did you know that pervert monk actually groped my knee today?”
 
Kagome couldn't help chuckling. “I'm amazed that houshi-doushi actually restrained himself from trying anything until you fully recovered, Sango…he's a lech, but if you whack him a couple of times with Hiraikotsu, he'll smarten up. He hasn't groped me since I threatened to conduct an experiment on him…”
 
The slayer's eyes widened, and then began dancing. “Which was…?”
 
“To see if the Vortex would appear in his other hand, upon removal of the one in which it currently resides. He still hasn't taken me up on my offer…”
 
Sango laughed, and Kagome smiled to hear the merry sound. The slayer had so much tragedy burdening her heart…Kagome could barely begin to comprehend her loss.
 
“Your turn, Kagome…the water is lovely.”
 
As Kagome hopped off the rock she was perched on, and moved past Sango, she muttered out of the side of her mouth, “Keep an eye on those bushes to the left…I might have heard the sound of a certain monk's staff …”
 
“Will do…I almost hope that it's him…could do with a little workout…” Sango grinned toothily, hefting the Hiraikotsu.
 
With Sango on the rock, glaring into the bushes, Kagome relaxed in the water. She stared up at the slayer's back, now covered in a bright kosode over her bodysuit and armour. Stirring little circles in the water, she decided to risk a question.
 
“Sango, how did you receive that puncture wound? It was the deepest, and most difficult to repair…you are very lucky to be alive, never mind walking around…”
 
The slayer turned her face towards the heavens; Kagome distantly noticed that the night of the new moon was coming up quickly…she also had to keep track of time, because she was due at the Palace for the celebration of the Maple Leaf Festival at the beginning of November. Apparently it involved traipsing around the Palace gardens, admiring the foliage of the maple trees and sipping sake…she thought Sango didn't wish to answer, and was startled out of her own thoughts when she heard the girl's soft voice.
 
“My deceased brother, Kohaku, stabbed me with his sickle that night at Naraku's castle…he had been possessed by the demon, and slew all our company, including our father. At the end, his usefulness gone, he was shot down. Just as he died, he became my little brother again…I held him in my arms as he passed.”
 
Kagome's heart dropped into her stomach. “I'm very sorry to bring up painful memories, Sango…”
 
The slayer shrugged. “We all carry burdens, Kagome…even you.”
 
Before Kagome could react to that comment, a familiar voice was heard.
 
“Come on, wenches…time to get out of the water…”
 
“Don't get your hakama in a knot, dog-boy…give me a minute…”
 
“You could always share the hot spring, wench,” Inuyasha drawled, stepping out of the darkness, followed by a suspiciously smiling monk carrying Shippo on his shoulder. Kagome yipped, and dodged behind Sango's rock, shrugging quickly into her fleece top. Drying off her legs, she shoved herself into the pants before edging around to glare daggers at the smirking hanyou while putting on her boots.
 
“Dream on, dog-boy…”
 
“Well, it isn't as if I haven't seen it all before, wench…a couple of times, that is…wouldn't mind another private viewing…”
 
“Humph…last time I saw yours, it looked like you'd been in a really cold river first…or is it always that size?” Sango's eyes were darting back and forth between the sniping companions, avoiding the monk's amused eye. What was going on with these two? It sounded like they were `more than friends'
 
“Come on, Sango…at least we'll have a pleasant meal without these three leering at us…”
 
“Hey! Don't lump me in with dog-breath and the lech!”
 
Kagome paused and fixed the kit with a beady eye. “And I suppose you were looking off in the other direction when you and the houshi were spying in the bushes?” Shippo turned an interesting shade of red, and became really interested in a tiny speck on the ground as the girls sailed past, their noses in the air.
 
Inuyasha watched the sway of Kagome's hips, and the way her long hair gleamed wetly down her back, and wished he could comb it though his claws…there was a distance between them since the slayer joined their group…no, he couldn't blame it on Sango. Kagome had been different after Midoriko laid out exactly what her destiny was. She was isolating herself within the group, probably worried that she would drag them all down with her in a confrontation with Naraku.
 
He also knew she was in a sweat because she couldn't control her sword's power. He was in a sweat because of how she looked. The first time they had tried sparring, Kagome had stripped off her all-concealing tunic to face off against him in just her cuirass and form-fitting grey leather pants. Her dark hair was loose, the cool breeze twining it over her shoulders and around her bare upper arms, her cheeks pink and such a look of determination on her sweet face, it was all he could do not to tackle her right then and there and kiss her thoroughly until she wrapped herself around him and forgot about Midoriko, the Jewel, Naraku… Tetsusaiga's grumbling had halted that thought, and then he had to pay attention as she spun around him, launching attack after attack, until his blade snarled in protest, and he had to stop her.
 
The fact was, the Tetsusaiga wouldn't willingly fight against Fenikkusuken, period. End of story. Not even just for practise. Her katana was just as recalcitrant, so the next day they'd tried using trimmed branches, but she had trouble with the weight, and he felt plain silly prancing around with a chunk of wood in his hands. Miroku, who usually managed to situate himself with a view of the proceedings, pointed out quietly that he managed nicely with a mere `chunk of wood'…and at this impasse they remained.
 
And he still hadn't told her about her leather armour.
 
He looked up at the sky, noting the thinness of the crescent suspended among the stars…three nights from now would be the new moon, and they would have to hustle to reach the well in time…
 
“Inuyasha…have you really seen the beautiful Kagome-sama's exquisite, touchable…?” He dropped his amber eyes to glare at the dreamy-eyed monk, who didn't notice the look, but whose words trailed off disturbingly.
 
“Yeah, I have, houshi…and if you know what's good for you, you won't even try to imagine it…unless you can breathe underwater.”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
They moved along briskly for the next couple of days. Sango either rode with Kagome on Arashi, or Kirara would transform and carry the slayer. On the second afternoon, Inuyasha was able to wheedle Kagome off Arashi and onto his back, giving the mare over to Miroku and Shippo. He just wanted her close to him, and was surprised when she gave in easily. Kagome hadn't said much the whole time, but the way she snuggled into his back, and slid her fingers into the front of his fire-rat to lightly stroke his chest told him what he needed to know about her feelings. He hadn't been prepared for her tears.
 
The one hand inside his shirt went still, and the other, clutching a handful of haori twined with a lock of his hair tightened, and then he smelled and felt tears against his neck. He could feel her eyelashes fluttering against his skin as she hid herself in his hair and cried silently.
 
It would have been way more fun to release her tension another way. He had enough sense not to suggest it at that moment, and instead started purring as he bounded ahead of the group, staying in front until she cried herself out, and was reduced to sniffling.
 
He slowed his pace a bit, and turned his head so he could see her out of the corner of his eye. Kagome smiled weakly at him, and leaned forward to lightly brush his cheek with her lips. Quick as lightning, he shot up into the nearest sturdy-looking tree, and pulled her into his arms, holding her tightly in a fierce full-body hug.
 
She clung to him, pressing her face into his neck. He mentally cursed Midoriko at burdening her with the knowledge that she was the key to Naraku's demise, and at how long it had been since he had her all to himself. He slid his hand up her back to carefully grip the nape of her neck and tilt her head back for a gentle kiss. Her hands stroked up through his hair to cup the back of his head and press his lips closer to hers, and just when it was getting really interesting, he broke it to lean his forehead against hers while he tried to assemble his thoughts in a coherent array. Of course, when he really needed them, they were skittering around, giggling.
 
Koishii…You're not alone in this…you've got me…”
 
“And Miroku and Sango…”
 
He arched a dark eyebrow. “I was going to leave the hentai out of this…but if you insist…”
 
Kagome gave a very tiny smile before she hid in his shoulder, hugging him tightly. Inuyasha was enjoying the feel of her in his arms, when a growl an arm's length away interrupted. He snapped his head around to look straight into Kirara's red eyes as the neko-youkai hovered at the end of the branch they were standing on; Sango was determinedly looking the other way.
 
“Sorry…we thought you were in a hurry…should we look for an inn with a free room instead?”
 
“Shut it, slayer…Kagome needed to get something out of her system…” Kirara rolled her eyes, and the fire-cat sped away. “Come on, wench…or we'll be teased into the first hell for sure.”
 
Kagome kissed him again, before he swung her onto his back, then hitched herself higher so that she could loop her arms around his shoulders and clasp her hands in front. “Thank you…Inu-chan,” she breathed into his ear; he squeezed her thighs, and launched off into space.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
They made excellent time, actually, and reached Kaede's village by late afternoon of the third day. The old miko was waiting for them on the path; the lookouts had shouted their approach. Inuyasha dropped out of the air right in front of her, a giggling Shippo hanging off his shoulder.
 
“Oi, ya old hag…staying out of trouble?”
 
“Show some respect for the aged, hanyou…hello, little one…by the good goddess, is that a neko-youkai?”
 
Kirara boldly walked up to Kaede, stopping when she was only a few feet away. Sango slid off her back, and the fire-cat became a kitten, scampering over and rubbing herself around Kaede's ankles, purring loudly. The old miko eyed Sango curiously. The girl stepped forward, and bowed. “Are ye another Seeker of the Jewel?” Sango opened her mouth, but the hanyou answered for her.
 
“She ain't no seeker...she's a slayer. Naraku killed her whole village and slaughtered her family…she's pretty handy with her weapon, so we let her tag along.”
 
“Tag along my ass, dog-boy…hello, Kaede-sama. I'd like you to meet Sango, an expert demon exterminator…” Kagome swung off Arashi, and advanced to put her arm through Sango's. “She has a score to settle with Naraku as well…she's joined us to avenge her people.”
 
“Ye are welcome, Sango…I assume ye are back, Inuyasha, because of the new moon?”
 
The hanyou rolled his eyes. “Why don't we yell that from the watchtower all over Edo, silly old bat…ooof!”
 
Kagome primly readjusted her sleeve after elbowing Inuyasha in the guts, and collected Arashi's reigns, avoiding Sango's questioning look. She led the slayer towards Kaede's hut, Inuyasha glaring after her.
 
Shippo chuckled, and poked the hanyou in the leg. “At least you didn't have to eat dirt, dog-breath…Kagome must be going soft on you.” He took off and using Arashi as a springboard, bounded onto Kagome's shoulder.
 
Miroku puffed up, having missed the introductions as Kagome had dumped him on the road a while back, after one too many off-colour musings on the slayer's feminine attributes. He wiped the sweat off his face, and smiled winningly at the old miko.
 
“Ah, Kaede-sama…as welcoming and as gracious as always…”
 
“Keep thy hands where I can see them, monk…I do not wish to have my serenity disturbed.”
 
“Can't an innocent monk catch a break anywhere?”
 
“Thy definition of `innocence' would make most men blush, ye scoundrel!”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
“Sango's going to find out sooner or later, Inuyasha…might as well just tell her straight out. How are you going to explain why we both left for the night?...Dammit, wipe that smirk off your chops!” Kagome turned at the bottom of the well-house steps and swung at the grinning hanyou. He dodged effortlessly and skipped backwards out of her reach, assuming an expression of pained innocence, his dark violet eyes sparkling.
 
“I'm not smirking…” He bounded over her head and landed halfway across the courtyard, dark hair swirling as he bounced from foot to foot like a prizefighter, awaiting her next move. Kagome walked slowly towards him, dropped into a crouch, and watched him with predatory eyes.
 
“You are so going to get it, dog-boy,” she growled, trying to sound menacing, but her eyes were dancing.
 
“I sure hope so…” Inuyasha avoided the well-placed kick that would have dislocated his kneecap, and dove over top of her.
 
“One more comment, and you can go back through the well and take your chances!” Before she could spin around, he roughly pinned her arms to her sides and she stilled at the feel of his lips on the delicate skin just behind her ear. Long black hair fell over her shoulders, and she gathered a few strands in her fingertips, closing her eyes as the embrace turned gentle.
 
Inuyasha felt the tension flow out of her, and he hugged her close to him, running his lips down her neck when she rolled her head over against his shoulder. Lack of demon hearing didn't give him any warning of Sota's approach, and they both jumped badly.
 
“Hey, sis…hi, Inuyasha…mom's got a big spread of shabu-shabu and sushi ready…she made some curry too, since she figured the spices wouldn't kill you tonight…”
 
“Oi, brat…lead the way.” He tossed Kagome over his shoulder, and carried her towards the house; she smacked his butt a few times for emphasis, but was surprisingly unresisting. Just outside the door, he set her on her feet; she wound her arms up around his neck, and laid her head on his shoulder…then shocked the hell out of him.
 
“One of these nights, I'd really like to take you out on my motorcycle,” she whispered.
 
“Me… on that thing? Don't think so…”
 
Kagome pulled back and looked deep into his eyes. “Let's assume that both of us survive this quest…what are you going to do, now that demon-hood seems to be off the table?”
 
He blinked. “Umm…I'm …not sure?”
 
“Would you stay here with me?”
 
A smile started to spread across his face; he squeezed the girl tightly. “You…want me to stay with you?”
 
“Of course, dog-boy…” she cuddled into his chest, hugging him hard. “I've become rather fond of you, attitude and all… if the well closes and if we end up here…you have to get used to doing things like ride motorcycles…or something possibly even more dangerous…get used to my cooking.”
 
“Kagome…” Words failed him for a moment, and he just pressed her against him, trying to convey what he felt. She was offering him a home, a place to belong to…something he hadn't had, since he was kicked out of the fortress centuries ago.
 
Ya gonna tell her about the armour tonight?
After I have some of Okaa-san's cooking…
::sniffs:: Smells pretty good
Even the curry…
 
Later, in the darkness of her bedroom, watching her sleep beside him, her dark hair contrasting with the whiteness of the pillow, he found he didn't really care that she looked like a guard from the fortress. It wasn't all that important…not in the grand scheme of things. The Armoury was good for supplying all sorts of stuff that they could use to defeat Naraku…even if that Yashita was there, it didn't matter, because…
 
Wonder where they got the dragon, though
…Kagome wants me.
::clears throat:: Excuse me
What?
You've got her right where you want her
Yeah?
So why are you on top of the blankets again?
Dammit… I don't need to molest her like a horny dog every time…
What? ::rubs eyes:: Why not? You in denial about your true nature?
No, I know damn well what I am…but tonight I don't need to be…
Being human sure makes you wussy…
Shut up. She'll take me both ways…she doesn't care that I'm hanyou.
::rolls eyes:: At least make sure you say something stupid in the morning just so that I know its actually you
 
Kagome woke up to softened amethyst eyes gazing down on her. Sleepily, she reached up to stroke Inuyasha's cheek and run her fingers into his hair at the temples…only to feel the shift in the muscles underneath as his human ears disappeared to be replaced by white furry triangles. The change in his eye colour was even more dramatic, the dark violet irises rippling over into amber as his bangs shimmered to silver. He smiled at her, the tips of his fangs slipping out, before he closed the distance between them and kissed her with what seemed like a fair bit of intent. She was quite surprised, then, with his next move.
 
“Let's go see what your mom has in mind for breakfast…last night's dinner was great!” He vaulted over her and shook himself, before looking down at her bewildered face. “See you downstairs…don't be too long!”
 
Kagome watched him charge out the door, then rolled flat onto her back, feeling somehow cheated out of her morning cuddle.
 
Well, you keep pushing him away
I haven't reached the point where I don't give a damn yet.
Try to get there soon, okay?
Kikyo, Naraku, destiny…shit happens.
It'd take care of your tension issues.
And give me a few more to worry about!
 
She swung out of bed, and pulled on a sweatshirt before heading downstairs, to where she could hear her mother's voice and Inuyasha's raised in conversation.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
The girl and the hanyou lugged the cases of rations, medical supplies and bags of rice down to the village; Miroku actually showed up half way there to help. Kagome couldn't help noticing he was sporting a rather obvious hand-shaped red mark on his cheek, and he was favouring his shoulder.
 
“Miroku, did you do something to upset Sango?”
 
“I was merely complimenting the lovely sama on her graceful gait…”
 
“You grabbed her ass, didn't you?”
 
“I may have brushed my fingers lightly over her hip…”
 
“Dammit, houshi…you're lucky you're still alive…”
 
“Ah, but what a way to go, at the capable hands of a beautiful woman…”
 
“Do you have to put a perverted spin on everything?”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
They were heading out again, back towards the decimated slayer's village, in order to hunt down Naraku's castle. Sango couldn't quite remember where it was, but she agreed that it was definitely to the north. Kagome was on a tight schedule; notice had been waiting for her from the palace that her presence was required in a week's time. She had considered missing this jaunt so she wouldn't be late. The look on Inuyasha's face when she voiced this thought aloud was so thunderous, that she immediately amended it to reminding him she had obligations. Shippo had remained behind with Kaede; he was helping to bring in the final harvest of roots from her herb garden.
 
Kagome remembered that she'd have to return those extra horses fairly soon, and the horse litter, too. After this trip, perhaps.
 
So here they were, retracing their steps towards what they hoped was Naraku's lair. Miroku had surmised that Sango couldn't remember its exact location due to severe trauma, and then offered to relax her in aid of her full recovery. Kagome had been walking next to her at the time, and felt the air scorch from the intensity of the slayer's glare.
 
They happened upon the massacre one day before reaching Sango's old village. Inuyasha sniffed blood-scent on the wind, and took off, leading them to a scene of horror. The blood was still fresh, trickling and pooling among the scattered bodies of the villagers, struck down as by a whirlwind as they went about their business. Kagome recoiled, as did Arashi, but she was grateful that her stomach didn't betray her this time. Miroku stooped over the closest body, carefully turning it over to examine the wounds. He checked two or three more, before standing up and moving to look closely at the ground.
 
“These people were all slain by a single blow, and it doesn't appear to be that of a sword or spear. There are no hoof prints, or sandal-treads that would indicate a group of samurai or bandits. They appear to have been struck down from the air…”
 
Inuyasha had been listening to the monk with one ear; the other was twitching towards a hut standing to the side of the largest concentration of bodies. His nose detected a faint scent of…Naraku?
 
“Get out here, you bastard! Show yourself!” Tetsusaiga hummed, and the hut crumpled to the ground, revealing a slight figure, garbed and masked in a very familiar uniform, holding a sickle-shaped weapon with a very long chain attached to the handle, the excess length coiled in the other hand.
 
With a speed that left everyone breathless, the exterminator threw the weapon directly at Kagome, still mounted on Arashi. She was already moving the mare, but it wouldn't be enough…Tetsusaiga flashed in front of her, deflecting the blow, and the chain tightened, whipping the sickle back to its wielder's hand. The figure paused a moment, then bolted into the undergrowth. Sango, who had been standing as if paralyzed, shot into action.
 
“Kirara! Come! Kohaku!” The fire-cat erupted, bearing her mistress in pursuit so quickly that it left the other three a little dumbfounded. Inuyasha took off in pursuit; Kagome was still gasping in surprise.
 
“That…person… had a Jewel shard in their back…”
 
“If that's the case, then it can only be one creature that we face…let's go. Sango-sama can't go up against him alone!”
 
Kagome barely waited until Miroku swung aboard before kicking Arashi into a gallop, chasing after Inuyasha. They hadn't gone too far before they ran into… a barrier? Inuyasha was slashing at it with Tetsusaiga, the barrier sparking and sizzling, but not making a rent.
 
“She rode Kirara right into it…kid reeked of Naraku…I can't get it open…dammit!”
 
Kagome dismounted from the mare, and ran to the hanyou. The barrier pulsed with a darkness that made the hairs on her arms stand up. She backed away…right into Miroku's arms. The houshi didn't miss a beat, but also didn't take the opportunity, either, merely lightly touching her shoulders as he steadied her. “Kagome-sama, could your spiritual powers break this barrier?”
 
“Worth a try…stand back…” She flared her fingertips until her whole hand was aflame with violet-pink light.
 
“Oi, wench…why not just use an arrow?”
 
“Because I don't want to risk hitting Sango…or her brother, for that matter.”
 
“That little murderer is her brother?”
 
“I'll bet you an extra serving of ramen that he's under Naraku's control, Inuyasha…doesn't this whole thing look like a set up to you?…quit disturbing my concentration…” She used her flaming hand to make a cutting motion through the barrier; it sizzled and gave way…just as Sango came towards them.
 
The slayer looked in deep thought, Kirara stalking behind her, both her tails fluffed impossibly big. “Sango? Was it…your brother?”
 
Sango's dark eyes scorched Kagome's. “That thing...was not my brother. Kohaku would never have done something like this…houshi-sama, would you say a prayer for the villagers? Perhaps their souls may find rest…” Inuyasha looked about to say something; Kagome poked his arm to prevent him being bisected by Hiraikotsu. Sango looked like she was barely keeping herself under control; the trio let her forge on ahead while they held back to give her some space. Inuyasha was grumbling, Kagome worrying and Miroku just looked thoughtful.
 
“If that was indeed Naraku, then he has made her some kind of bargain…he never does anything straight out. We will have to question Sango-sama later on…”
 
Once they reached the village, Miroku and Inuyasha began the desolate task of digging a grave pit. Fortunately for their efforts, it was a small village, and the dead only numbered a couple of dozen. Sango kept her head down, and helped Kagome haul bodies to the pit, where the boys laid them to rest. They were finished while it was still light, and Kagome scoped out a hut, set away from the carnage, for them to spend the night. It was big enough to house Arashi, too, so she led the mare in against the back wall and spread some hay from a small stable for her to bed down on. A canvas bucket of water, another of oats to augment the hay, and the mare was set.
 
The fire pit was lit, water boiled, and hot tea passed around while the rations were prepared. Miroku found a large metal tub that serviced for washing up; he and Inuyasha took it outside. Kagome looked at Sango, who was sitting with her knees drawn up, her back against Arashi's reclining bulk, Kirara by her side, staring into the fire, not really touching her food.
 
“Sango, what does Naraku want you to do?”
 
The slayer almost fell over; she stared at Kagome, her mouth forming a nearly perfect `O'. She tried to affect nonchalance, but with that reaction, it was impossible. After a bit of stuttering, she growled, “What makes you think Naraku had anything to do with it?” Kirara mewed, and stalked over to sit beside Kagome, regarding her mistress with red eyes gone rather narrow.
 
Kagome looked down at the neko-youkai, wondering if Kirara was trying to tell her something. “Well, first off, that person you chased had a Jewel shard embedded in his or her back…Naraku is the only demon we've run into who makes a habit of doing that to others so they will do his bidding. Second, Inuyasha thought that the person smelled like Naraku. Third…you called Kohaku's name just as you disappeared.”
 
Sango remained silent; Kagome took that to indicate that she was hitting the mark. She scooted around the fire to lay her hand on the girl's shoulder. “Sango…you are not alone anymore…what does the creep want from you in exchange for your brother?”
 
Huge dark eyes glistening with tears looked up at her, but not a drop overflowed. Kagome rubbed little circles on her shoulder, waiting patiently for her answer. Kirara meowed, and jumped into her lap, butting her head against Sango's chin. The silence grew, stretched…and finally, Sango sighed heavily. “He wants the Tetsusaiga.”
 
“Damn! The bastard thinks big, doesn't he? Don't worry, Sango…we'll think of something to rescue Kohaku.”
 
“But Kagome…Inuyasha will never give up the Tetsusaiga…”
 
“Why the hell would I do something that stupid, wench?” The hanyou pushed his way past the door mat, glaring at the slayer. Sango retreated back into her corner, and resumed staring at the fire. Kagome and Kirara both shot Inuyasha very dark looks.
 
“It was Naraku, and he's made Sango one of his devil's bargains.”
 
“I ain't trading my sword for that brat…”
 
Kagome sighed, as heavily as Sango. “Sit, dumb-ass.”
 
Miroku stepped over the prone hanyou, and walked around to crouch in front of Sango. When she forced herself to look at him, he smiled gently at her. “We will find a solution, Sama…we will not leave your brother to languish in Naraku's clutches. Just give me leave to think a while...ah, thank you, Kagome-sama.” He took the full mess tin from her hands and settled himself near Sango, slurping contentedly.
 
When Inuyasha finally rolled over, cursing quietly and violently, Kagome quickly stood up and pinched an ear to haul him outside. She pulled him a fair distance from the hut; he finally grabbed her wrist. “What the hell is your problem, wench? Leggo my ear, dammit!”
 
She released the smarting appendage; he rubbed it, scowling ferociously. “Your utter lack of sensitivity never ceases to appall me…I know you don't give a shit about your own brother, but some of us would do anything to save ours from danger.”
 
“I'm still not giving up the Tetsusaiga…”
 
“Oh, fuck it…I can't be bothered to argue with you, dog-boy…” She turned forcefully on her heel, and stalked towards the hut. He grabbed her elbow and spun her back to face him. The snarl died on her lips when she saw the look on his face. It was a little bit lost, a little bit upset…was his lip trembling?
“Kagome…don't be mad at me, please…” His ears were drooping badly. She stepped close, and reached up to gently rub the ear she had earlier pulled, and slipped the other arm around him. He hugged her so tightly she could hardly breathe, but she let him apologize the only fool-proof way he really had.
 
They returned to the hut, and Kagome busied herself filling two mess tins for their own meals. She had just handed Inuyasha his serving, when she caught the look on Miroku's face, and it was all she could do not to scuttle behind the hanyou. The monk had the most evil grin she'd ever seen plastered all over his countenance, and it was totally unnerving.
 
“Um, Miroku? What are you thinking about? …Scratch that; I don't want to know because it's obviously totally perverted.”
 
He focussed his violet eyes on her; the grin remained the same. Inuyasha raised an eyebrow.
 
“I do believe that I have come up with a cunning scheme to give Naraku a taste of his own medicine. Care to hear it?”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
The fire had burned down to embers by the time the plan had been related, discussed and refined. Sango had the spark of both a bit of hope and determination in her eyes. Inuyasha still wasn't too happy, but had agreed to play along, mainly because of Kagome.
 
They were going to turn the tables on Naraku using the Tetsusaiga as bait.
 
All four settled down to sleep as well as they could. Inuyasha and Miroku took up their usual positions against the walls; Kagome unzipped her bedroll, sharing it and a blanket with Sango, Kirara curling up between them. It didn't seem like very long before Inuyasha was prodding them awake with his foot. “Get it on deck, girls…we have company.” Kagome shot up, instantly sensing a large demonic aura and a Jewel shard. Sango rolled up the bedding while Kagome saddled and bridled Arashi, ready for rapid deployment.
 
“Everyone ready? All right, ladies…it's showtime…” Miroku held the door mat aside as the girls tumbled through it…and came up short when they saw what they were facing. A slender teenage boy dressed in a slayer's uniform stood, surrounded by dozens and dozens of low-level demons, writhing and slavering as they awaited the signal to attack their prey. Inuyasha stood in front of them, his stance deceptively relaxed, his hand on Tetsusaiga's hilt.
 
“Well, Sango? Is that your `Kohaku'?” She didn't have time to answer before the demons swarmed in. Kagome flared and fired arrow after arrow into the mass, but they just kept coming. Miroku was trying to gain a clear field to use the Vortex, but there was either a hanyou, a Kohaku or a Hiraikotsu in the way at all times. He caught Kagome's eye.
 
“We must do something, and quickly, or we may be overwhelmed…”
 
Inuyasha had had enough. The blood was pounding in his ears as he felt both his and Kagome's heart rates' speed up, smelled the fear that was tingeing her scent, and the damn demons kept coming. Roaring, he swung the Tetsusaiga with a powerful two-handed blow…and five arcs of flame, like the outstretched claws of a demonic hand, blazed through the mass of hell-spawned flesh, disintegrating it into so much ash. Time paused; he stopped, staring in disbelief between his blade and the suddenly emptied landscape. Kagome broke the silence with a cheer, and time jerked forward again.
 
“All right, Inuyasha! You did it! That's the move your asshole brother used the last time!”
 
Miroku shook his head in amazement. “Kagome-sama is right, Inuyasha…a very impressive display!”
 
The hanyou re-focussed on the job at hand, and stalked towards the youth, who had not moved until that point. “Inuyasha! Don't harm my brother!” came Sango's anguished cry.
 
“I'm not gonna kill him…just gonna smack him around a bit until he smartens up…” Then Kohaku moved, but it wasn't to throw his scythe; rather, he snapped the blade into his hand and slammed it over his shoulder, digging it viciously into his own back. Sango screamed.
 
“He'll die the instant that shard is removed…stop him!” Inuyasha, as the closest, charged towards Kohaku; the sudden passage of the whirling Hiraikotsu brought him up short, the boomerang knocking the upraised Tetsusaiga out of his hand and whipping the blade away to thunk into the earth near Kagome. Kohaku spun and leapt onto the back of an eel-like demon that had apparently survived Inuyasha's strike. Sango glanced at the hanyou, then raced to seize the Tetsusaiga, calling Kirara to her from the doorway of the hut. The fire-cat roared, transformed, and the two soared after the rapidly disappearing teenager and his nightmarish mount.
 
Kagome ran into the hut to retrieve Arashi. She was about to swing into the saddle when Inuyasha grabbed her instead and boosted her onto his back. “Looks like he took the bait…you're coming with me, wench…I don't want you too far away when we face that bastard…come on, Miroku! Arashi isn't gonna bite ya…get the lead out!”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
The first streaks of dawn were painting the sky when the three came to a barrier that pulsed just as unpleasantly as the one the day before. The walls of a substantial castle complex were visible high above, barely discernable through the shifting veil of dark power. Kagome hopped off Inuyasha's back, and was preparing to slice through it using her spiritual power, when the barrier thinned and shredded, dissolving into the morning frost. “Looks like we're expected…oh, shit! Here's the welcoming committee…”
 
Miroku glanced at the hovering hell wasps with a jaundiced expression. “Kagome-sama…how much of that medicine do you have on hand?”
 
“About one sting's worth, houshi-doushi…don't open the Vortex. It's not worth it right now. Sango has her Hiraikotsu, I've got…well, my mixed bag of tricks, and Inuyasha will have Tetsusaiga back soon. Stick to the plan…you grab Kohaku and get the hell out on Arashi.”
 
“Are we finished jawing? Let's get the hell into it!” Inuyasha pulled Kagome back into place, and they flew upwards towards the castle walls. Waiting a moment for Miroku to charge into view, the hanyou smashed a gap in the gate, and all three dove through.
 
The first thing they saw was Sango's bloodied body at the feet of her brother; Kohaku stood over her, the sickle slightly raised as he looked towards another figure for guidance. Kirara, reduced to her kitten form, twitched and cried out a few feet away. Kagome shouted, pointing; Inuyasha flattened his ears against the sound and winced. Halfway across the courtyard, the hated white baboon pelt was down around the wearer's waist, and they were able to see Naraku's face for the first time.
 
He was eerily handsome, finely chiselled features reminding Kagome of Sesshomaru, but he was as dark as the taiyoukai was light. Long snaking black curls spilled everywhere, and he was apparelled like a lord. In his hand he held the Tetsusaiga, glinting in the pale morning sunlight. Inuyasha's growls hit a crescendo seeing his blade in the creature's possession.
 
“Ah, Sango…the rest of your friends have arrived…now the entertainment begins…”
 
“That's what you think, creep…let's go!”
 
The three all moved at once; Miroku charged towards Kohaku…he was surprised to see the youth race away from him and dive into the building behind. He was about to jump over Sango, when he looked down at the slayer's face, besmirched with blood and tears. Making a split-second decision, he stopped and stood over the girl, readying his Vortex for action. Kagome was one step behind him, and had to veer away so she didn't run into him. “What gives, houshi? …Go get Kohaku! I'll look after Sango…stick with the plan!”
 
Reluctantly, Miroku resecured the prayer beads, and took two steps away, only to have his route cut off by eel-like creatures swirling in around them. Kagome yelled a warning, and threw up a barrier around the three of them. “Inuyasha! We've got to end this before Sango loses more blood!”
 
Naraku narrowed his red-irised eyes. His hair spun outwards, creating a whirling barrier that joined with, then absorbed the demonic creatures and slowly closed in on the group. “You can do nothing against my demon hair…it is composed of poison vapours and miasma…the more you slash it, the more poisonous the atmosphere becomes…your pathetic little barrier cannot stand against me, shadow-maiden.”
 
“We'll see about that, asshole…Tetsusaiga! Come!” To Naraku's considerable consternation, the hanyou held out the empty scabbard of his katana towards him, and repeated his command. The enchanted blade in his hand twisted, thrummed, and then sizzled as it tore itself out of his grip and soared towards its rightful owner. Inuyasha caught it by the hilt and spun it around to face off against Naraku, the blade instantly becoming full-sized.
 
Naraku abruptly disappeared behind the barrier of his hair. The hanyou charged towards the creature's last position, slashing with the Tetsusaiga, but was then driven back by the poisonous vapours burning his skin and throat. He turned and raced back to the others, noting Kagome's strained face as she struggled to keep the barrier in place and ready an arrow for release at the same time. She opened it for him; he put his back against hers, Tetsusaiga rumbling in his hands. “You're doing okay, Kagome…let's finish this…”
 
Naraku's mocking voice floated overhead. “How sweet…your compassion for one another has ensured that you will die together…”
 
“Not yet, you creep…where the hell is he…” Kagome notched an arrow, flaming it, as she pivoted, searching for the tell-tale aura of many Jewel shards. She sensed one, but dismissed it as probably belonging to Kohaku. Miroku ducked as she swung towards him; she was so intent on finding her target that he didn't want to inadvertently end up in her way.
 
There!” Aiming and letting loose a missile, the arrow flared as it struck her barrier and then continued to smash through the wall of one of the buildings in a brilliant shower of pink sparks. Naraku was revealed…a very stunned Naraku, with an arm and part of his torso shot away.
 
“Whaa…? How? How could you do this…? You don't have the power…”
 
Kagome grimly flamed and notched a second arrow, pulling the bowstring taut to her cheek. “Don't mistake me for Kikyo, Naraku…I have the power, and I don't stand alone…go to hell, you bastard!” The second arrow, trailing fire, struck him square in the chest…and Naraku simply disappeared. Inuyasha wrapped his arms around Kagome, steadying her as she kept the integrity of their protective wall, while Miroku dropped to protect Sango as a wave of miasma roared over their fragile barrier. After what seemed like hours, the poisonous vapours dissipated, and then the castle began to disintegrate around them.
 
In the confusion, they lost track of both Naraku and Kohaku. Kagome cautiously dropped the barrier. The castle was revealed to be old, broken, and obviously not inhabited for a very long time. “Damn! Another illusion…the bastard is good…” Miroku was ruefully inspecting the hand bearing his Vortex. Inuyasha reached over and sniffed at the gauntlet. “Well? Is it gone?”
 
“No, I am afraid not…despite our efforts, Naraku was not destroyed…seriously injured I am sure, but unfortunately, not destroyed.” He bent to gently lift Sango into his arms; Kagome gave him a look, and he rolled his eyes. “I can assure you that I will maintain a proper dignified manner towards Sango-sama…I would truly miss her spirited retaliation if I took advantage of her now.”
 
Kagome scooped up Kirara, who mewed faintly before snuggling into her chest, obviously miserable. “I wonder what Naraku did to her…”
 
“She bit him, but his entire body was just a collection of miasma and poison…she took a whole mouthful…” Sango's voice was very weak. “Too bad the plan didn't work…” Inuyasha shot a look at the monk, but Kagome forestalled him.
 
“It is true that we lost Kohaku; Miroku couldn't just leave you there…but Naraku is severely injured, and won't be able to plague us for a while. That has to be a good thing…and we're all alive, so I think we can say that we won this encounter.”
 
Kagome stepped over to stroke Sango's bangs away from her face. “We're all in this together, Sango, and we'll add `rescue Kohaku' onto the list of reasons to hunt that bastard down…. Hey, I think we have a bonus…” The girl broke away, heading for a small pile of debris, and fished through it. She came back with two small shards glinting in her palm. “Look at this…Naraku lost more than just his body.”
 
Inuyasha awkwardly patted Sango's hand. “We'll get your kid brother back…let's get you patched up. This was only a warm-up, but I think we gave Naraku something to think about before he wants to play with us again.”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж