InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Phoenix Blade: Time Lapse ❯ Sword Dance ( Chapter 25 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I don't own anything…All characters and most situations created and owned by Takahashi-sama!
 
A/N: ::sound of scenery being moved:: Gonna shift a few episodes around here a bit…Don't mind me…OUCH!
 
In response to a couple of queries…I stick with the anime for most of my inspiration, but if something doesn't make sense (to me, anyways), I'll reference the appropriate manga for more background…like the comparison between Midoriko's demon and Onigumo/Naraku for the last chapter.
 
The Phoenix Blade: Time Lapse
Chapter Twenty-Five: Sword Dance
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Present Day
 
“Are you finding the event to your liking, Higurashi?”
 
Startled, Kagome nearly dropped the delicate porcelain cup she was gingerly holding, and looked up to meet Lord Sessaki's daunting gaze. He was gently amused, cocking his elegant head slightly as he awaited her response, his long dark topknot sliding over his shoulder like a silken baldric. She covered her confusion with a low bow.
 
“Um, yes, sir…the foliage is certainly beautiful…”
 
“Walk with me, Higurashi.” He took her elbow and manoeuvred her around two gossiping courtiers effectively blocking the pathway with their broad beamed width; there was much fan-waving and tittering going on. Kagome had been lurking in a secluded planting area, while she tried to find some measure of peace in her heart. She just had so much on her plate…Then Lord Sessaki had happened across her and seemed to be insistent on showing her a particular vantage point, which just happened to be a fair distance from the nearest eavesdropper.
 
He slackened his pace, and they strolled alongside the verge of a pond; he pointed out the contrasting shades of fiery red being displayed in a copse framing a reflecting pool. She sighed, drinking in the sight, and then abruptly stilled when his long-fingered hand clasped her arm firmly. “Higurashi…is this mission becoming too much for you?”
 
Gulp.
 
Shit.
 
::beep:: Retreat! ::beep:: Repeat, retreat!
 
“Uh, um, er…m-m-mission? …which m-mission would that be…sir?”
 
How does he know?
 
The pressure from his fingers tightened, as if he sensed her instinctive flight response; he moved to position himself right in front of her. Kagome could only look helplessly up at him, like a rabbit caught in the crosshairs; her knees started to shake. Sessaki's expression was not unkind, as he gazed down on the girl's white face, his dark golden-brown eyes searching her anguished grey ones.
 
How could he know?
 
“You walk as if the weight of the world has descended on your shoulders, Higurashi…your sparkle has dimmed.”
 
Can I trust him?
 
She groped for something to say, anything to fend him off. “T-Things have become complicated lately, sir…I'm still trying to come to grips with all the ramifications and potential outcomes…”
 
He signed the authorizations…
 
“It is a sure sign of nerves when you fall back on empty platitudes…I would like a verbal report, Higurashi, since your mission is using up valuable resources.”
 
How much does he know?
 
She bit her lip and dropped her eyes, finding the dark damask of his formal kimono rather fascinating; his grip on her arm didn't lessen, and she knew he wouldn't let her go until she replied. Technically, he was her commanding officer, after all… Sorting the relevant facts into piles, wondering what to leave out and what to include, she organized her thoughts, then took a deep breath, straightened herself, and lifted her chin to make her statement.
 
Go with the truth
 
“T-The mission…has not gone as I expected, sir. The material I am trying to recover was scattered over a wide area; much of it has been captured by hostiles and requires considerable force to retrieve. A central opposition figure has come to the fore, utilizing treachery and covert operatives to keep us guessing as to what he will try next. He rarely takes direct part in an operation; he prefers to use duplicate, co-opted or expendable units to do his fighting for him. He was severely wounded in our last confrontation, and a search is now currently under way, but likely to be compromised by the coming bad weather.” She held her breath.
 
After a very long silence, during which she swore she could feel years shredding away from her life expectancy, Lord Sessaki finally nodded. “Excellent summary, Higurashi…but you have not answered my question…is this mission becoming too much for you?”
 
He knows.
 
She slumped a little. His other hand landed on her shoulder; his thumb started gently rubbing her collarbone through the layers of silk. Thoroughly startled by the intimate contact, she met his eyes again, and saw both understanding and concern in their depths. “I'm involved too deep to pull out now, sir, but I have some excellent people working with me…and I'm confident that I can see the mission through to its conclusion…sir.”
 
Should I ask…?
 
She was completely flummoxed by what he did next. His hands slid to grip her biceps; her eyes riveted on his jaw line as his head inclined and moved towards the vicinity of her left ear. She tensed up, breath stalling; her hair was standing up on the back of her neck…what was that sensation? It almost felt…youkai? Not possible…not here… Kagome dragged her attention back, aware of how close he was, struggling to classify this familiar prickling…and then his whisper penetrated the internal static.
 
“This is your destiny, Higurashi…you were born for this mission. You will not fail.” Sessaki pulled away; he was still so close to her that she could practically hear his heart thumping in his chest, over the pounding of her own. Kagome swallowed, very hard; moistening her lips, she looked him straight in the eye.
 
“Was that an order, sir?”
 
“Do not give in to despair, Higurashi. That is an order.”
 
He understands.
 
His eyes sharpened, as if he could read her mind; he used his grip on her upper arms to turn her to face a rather dark-visaged Yashita. His eyes flickered from Kagome to Sessaki and back again, a scowl starting to creep across his handsome face. Sessaki placed a hand in the centre of her back, propelling her forwards, and pretty much thrust her into Yashita's arms. “Higurashi gave me a verbal report, Yashita…I must find Lord Kogashu…would you see that our young lady is entertained for the rest of the afternoon? I believe that she would greatly benefit from some good company.” With that, he flowed away over the manicured lawn. Kagome watched him thoughtfully, biting her lip, brain whirling as her heart rate slowed.
 
Who is he?
Doesn't matter…he's on your side, after all.
Allies are good…
Uh, don't look now, but someone else is `allying' himself with you…pay attention, girl!
 
The pressure of Yashita's arm around her waist brought her back with a jolt. His dark eyes were gentle as he raised her hand to his lips; she smiled a bit wanly. He stopped and took her chin lightly in his fingers, inspecting her face closely. “Are you feeling all right?”
 
“He's very…intimidating… when he's that close…does he have that effect on you?”
 
Yashita flashed his teeth. “I've had a while to get used to him.”
 
“I don't think I ever could…” Kagome shivered.
 
“You look a little washed out…how are things going?”
 
Casually asked, but the question put her instantly on her guard. She stiffened a little in his grip, but kept her voice neutral and smiled more brightly at him.
 
“I've been better, Yash…I guess I'm more tired than I realized…”
 
His expression was tender as he curled his fingers around her hand. “Come and spend some time with me, then. I hope that Inuyasha Nishiyori hasn't been adding to your stress level…any more knock-down drag-outs with his brother? Here…let me get you something else to drink…that sake'll knock you halfway into next week…if we're lucky, Shimano hasn't found the buffet yet…”
 
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Sengoku Jidai
 
Kagome heaved herself and her fully loaded saddlebags over the lip of the well, slipping a bit on the frost-rimed wood. She adjusted her fur-lined cloak over her shoulders, shifting her burden to the other side, and started the walk to the village. Her exhaled breath formed white vapour in the chill air; her boots crunched in the morning stillness. She picked up a familiar youkai heading her way, and was braced for impact when the kitsune launched himself at her with his usual exuberance.
 
“Morning, Kagome…hurry up, because Kaede's made rice porridge…do you have any of those dried grapes to put in it?…I really like those…did your mom send me anything?”
 
“Morning to you too, Ship-dip…I've had breakfast with my family…yes, I have some raisins, and yes, I have some sweets for you.”
 
“Yay! You really are my favourite human, Kagome…and your mother, too.” He shifted his grip and swung himself from her arms to her shoulder, balancing the load somewhat.
 
“Where's Inuyasha? I thought he'd be here to help lug this stuff…”
 
“Dunno…he was pretty grouchy because you had to leave to go to see the Emperor. As soon as he smells you, he'll show up.” The kit leaned in so that he could whisper in her ear. “You know something? I think that the houshi likes Sango.”
 
“He likes anything that's female…”
 
“Well, then Arashi and Kirara would be in trouble…no, this is serious…he's been behaving himself.”
 
“He has to, Shippo…the girls in this village are off-limits to him…”
 
The kit sighed heavily and shook his head. “I mean he's being really, really nice to Sango.”
 
Kagome stopped and turned her head to bring herself eye-to-eye with the kit. “What exactly do you mean, Shippo?”
 
“He's keeping his hands to himself and hasn't asked her to bear his child.”
 
Pursing her lips while she thought about it, Kagome continued walking, keeping half an eye on the footing. “Hmmm, that does sound serious, actually…how is Sango taking it?”
 
“It's making her nervous.”
 
“So he'll get whacked with the Hiraikotsu anyways…race you to the hut, kitsune-breath!” She tipped the kit off her shoulder, chuckling at his yelp of outrage, then lost her momentum, laughing, when a large, green, pickle-shaped projectile streaked past her and through the mat-covered door. When she pushed the mat aside, Miroku and Sango were still looking pretty stunned, with small flecks of something speckling their robes and Kaede was thoroughly admonishing Shippo for his grand entrance that apparently ended spectacularly, because the dejected kit was covered in porridge, his red bangs plastered against his forehead, and great white drips slowly sliding down his cheeks. A ladle was lying at an odd angle and great distance from Kaede's hand, so Kagome guessed the kit had taken it in the face. She dropped the saddle bags inside the door, and held out her hand.
 
“Good morning, everyone…come on, Ship-dip…I'll clean you up.” He looked extremely forlorn. “Apologize to Kaede-sama, and I'm sure she'll keep some porridge for you…Shippo can have my portion; I already ate.”
 
Shippo shifted onto his knees, and bowed very formally to the old miko. “I'm sorry, Kaede-sama…” She reached over and patted his little hand.
 
“Go with Kagome-sama to the river, ye wee nuisance; I'll heat some water to warm ye up.”
 
Kagome rummaged for a couple of towels, and shooed Shippo out the door. “We'll be back…I'll need very hot tea…”
 
Outside, they headed right back the way they'd come, until they reached the river. Shippo didn't look at all impressed, but he steeled himself and jumped into the shallows, sloshing himself around until he was food-free and his teeth were chattering impressively. Kagome wrapped him up in the towel, and started back to the hut. He caught her fingers in his hand.
 
“K-K-Kagome…I-I-I th-think I-I-Inuyasha's i-in th-the r-r-iver.”
 
“What? I didn't sense anything…did you scent him, or something?” The kit, shivering so badly that his teeth sounded like a flywheel, pointed at some footprints etched into the frozen bank, clearly heading into the water. Kagome looked down the bank thoughtfully, then turned and jogged back to the hut. She dropped Shippo inside the door. “I'm going looking for Inuyasha…Shippo thinks he might be in the river.”
 
Miroku snorted. “He most likely is, Kagome-sama…he should have settled down by now.” Kagome eyed him…even by the monk's standards, that was a cryptic comment. Miroku offered no further explanation, merely smiled serenely at her with amusement dancing in his dark violet eyes.
 
“Okay…whatever…I'll be back in a bit.” She double-timed it to the riverbank, and began following its path downstream, looking for a flash of red or silver. Just beyond where the village set its nets, the trail ended and she had to clear a path through the undergrowth. It was too darn cold to wade the river itself, so she forged ahead, hacking with her sword where necessary, swearing when her cloak was caught on branches.
 
She came free of the grasping vegetation at the top of the waterfall. The rocks were even slicker than usual because the fine spray thrown up coated everything with a thin coat of ice. Cautiously, very conscious of the treacherous footing, Kagome edged to a point where she could look over and see the pool at the base of the falls.
 
Her heart froze, then skipped a beat. From her vantage point, she could see a blob of red on the bank down below…but apparently no hanyou to go with it. Had he drowned? No…her heart was still beating; hammering, actually, in her chest, as she began climbing down beside the roaring water, looking for handholds in the slippery rocks, praying silently that she wouldn't fall, and then there would be two missing persons for the villagers to find. Why couldn't she feel his youkai? It ought to be obvious
 
After what felt like hours, Kagome scrambled over the last few obstacles, and ran to the rumpled pile. Sure enough, it was Inuyasha's hakama, haori and juban. She plunged her fingers into the damp material…it was very cool to the touch, so he certainly hadn't just taken it off. Where the hell was he? It was too cold to be running naked through the woods…wasn't it? Maybe she'd just stumbled on some weird hobby he indulged in the privacy of the forest. However, the Tetsusaiga was also there, hidden under the clothing. No way he'd leave that behind. Furrowing her brow with worry, chewing her lip, she scanned the pool, its verges on the far side, the surrounding trees…and then her eye fell on something more silver than the waterfall itself. A furious blush raced over her cheeks as she realized what she was looking at.
 
One very naked hanyou taking a shower.
 
A very, very cold shower.
 
From the looks of it, a shower that wasn't having much effect.
 
Oh, shit.
 
Kagome couldn't move, even though part of her brain was screaming at her to turn around, to disappear under the nearest rock, to look anywhere but there. The other part of her brain was making pointed comments about how simply amazing his ass looked, how great his legs were, how his hair gleamed when wet, and, not incidentally, how his personal weapon didn't seem to be affected by extremely cold temperatures.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Inuyasha swivelled under the torrent, the water pounding down on his head, his shoulders, the roar filling his ears. He knew that it was dangerous to leave himself so open to attack, but this was the best he could do to cool off his raging instincts. He'd crossed through the well very early this morning, intending to have a fairly innocent cuddle with his girl before they tackled another day. Kagome's window was unlocked, as usual, so he slid through, as usual. He hadn't been prepared for what met his eyes, as she clearly hadn't been expecting early-morning company.
 
Kagome was asleep, of course, long dark eyelashes fanning across her cheeks, her hair in disarray across the bedding. Sprawled across the mattress on her stomach, she was also completely, delightfully, deliciously naked. Her sleep had obviously been restless; the blanket was mostly on the floor, leaving her pert backside on display, as well as a generous amount of very inviting-looking skin, especially the soft, tender area just barely visible between her parted thighs… Inuyasha couldn't move, couldn't breathe…and then the basic hard-wiring in his brain flooded his groin with heat…and he had to get the hell out of there, or Kagome would wake up in a manner she wouldn't forget...
 
He ducked back through the well, and unfortunately happened to run into Miroku, sitting placidly under a tree on the edge of the meadow at that early time of day. Inuyasha was in no mood for pleasantries.
 
“What the hell are you doing out here, houshi?”
 
“Same as you, Inuyasha.” For the briefest moment, Inuyasha mistook that for some insinuation regarding Kagome, but shut down his response in time to prevent doing something he'd regret later.
 
“Too close a proximity to Sango, huh?” The monk nodded, his eyes misting over, and a crooked little smile creeping across his face.
 
“She is like a flame to my tinder…absolutely lovely in every aspect…”
 
“Sounds like you've got it pretty hard for her.”
 
Miroku's eyes snapped back to sharpness, and he glanced significantly at the hanyou's crotch. “Not as bad as you for Kagome-sama, apparently…I suggest the river, before you damage yourself.”
 
Smarting, turning as red as his haori, he retreated to do just that. The waterfall seemed like as good a place as any, and it was far enough away that he'd have some privacy…
 
He was unnerved by the powerful impulse surging in his veins to make her his…it was far stronger than the time he'd confronted her in the bathroom. He'd been in a peculiar frame of mine that night, feeling a bit reckless, a little dangerous… now he knew what had given him the nerve to not only waltz in on her like that, but also pin her amazing, lithe, naked body beneath him… He felt his groin tighten again, and groaning, tilted his face away from the waterfall to take another breath, and caught a familiar scent…floral, dewy…and aroused.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
She was still there, trapped in the moment, her blood thundering in her ears, when he turned that sleek, silver, shining head and looked directly at her. Kagome could feel the feral heat in those amber eyes jolt her low in her belly as surely as they pinned her in place. Movement was impossible when he stepped out of the curtain of water, and just stood there, silver and white and golden-eyed, muscular, powerful, proud, and Kagome felt her knees threaten to give way.
 
Why does he have to be so damn perfect?
Perfectly hot, I'd say…and it's all for you, sweetheart.
 
At that exact moment, when her brain was in lock-down and clear of other distractions, Kagome could tell the difference between the voices in her head. One was more feminine, more analytical, more cautious…Midoriko. This one, on the other hand, was very masculine, a bit brash and definitely encouraged action… Fenikkusuken. This tangential train of thought broke the stasis holding her fast, and her legs obeyed her as she turned and strode steadily away, into the forest, towards the path that she knew must be there, that would take her back the long way to the village.
 
I can't do this…I can't want him so much…there's too much at stake now…
Doesn't the girl doing the dirty work deserve some perks?
My desires are irrelevant. The mission is my priority.
Nice big words…don't mean shit, do they?
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
When she turned and disappeared into the heavy shadows of the forest, all of the hanyou's hunting instincts came roaring to the surface. He swam swiftly across the pool, barely aware of the cold. He stopped long enough to put on his hakama, tie the rest of his clothing around his waist, and grip Tetsusaiga, before setting off in silent, rapid pursuit.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Kagome stopped her flight, and leaned heavily against the closest tree, closing her eyes. The image of a glistening, rampantly male Inuyasha wouldn't leave her, and she wondered what it would be like, if she could ignore the insistent, worried questions haunting her brain, and just let the smirking, teasing, smouldering hanyou have his way with her.
 
It'd be pretty damn amazing, I'd say
It would change everything.
And nothing. It's normal to fall in love, sweets
Is this love? Or just lust?
Stow the analysis…you want him
Can't; sorry.
When will you stop running?
Shut up.
 
Trying to clear her head, and ignore the blood that was roaring around the lower part of her torso, Kagome kept on, tripping a bit and stumbling over roots, until she found the path, and quickly settled into a full route-march rhythm. She was, however, so intent on trying to forget herself in the familiar motions of left-right, left-right, that she missed the early-warning of Inuyasha's youkai bearing down on her, and when she did become aware that she had company, her response was instantaneous, instinctive full-on attack mode.
 
She had him pinned up against a tree, her blade at his throat, when she finally came to her senses. He was staring at her, amber eyes wide, as he took in her glazed silver eyes and harsh, panting breathing…then his brain caught up with her speed. Kagome shook herself, blinked hard, and stepped back, lowering her katana and turning away. She ground a fist against her forehead, before looking back at him, her whole frame pulsing in time to her heartbeat, ribbons of energy winding around her. Her voice was low, rough-edged …and frightened.
 
“Don't scare me like that, Inuyasha…I could have really hurt you.” She shoved the sword into its scabbard, bringing up her hands to scrub her blurry eyes. Why won't my vision clear? The hanyou was in front of her, gripping her wrists, and she realized he was bare-chested. Blinking again, swaying with her laboured breathing, she just stared at the expanse of lean muscled flesh, admiring the flat planes and rippled abdominals on display, then slowly looked up at him, puzzled. “Where are…” He caught her as her eyes rolled back and she collapsed in a dead faint.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
She surfaced in a quiet, warm place, her mind clear and her vision happily back to normal. Her eyes identified the familiar rafters of Kaede's hut. A fire was crackling off to her right, and she was bundled in her cloak. Her leather tunic was missing; she assumed it was acting as a pillow, because a tell-tale line of bumps from the clips trailed across the back of her neck, even through the thick hide. Her cuirass was also gone, the waistband of her trousers had been loosened, and her boots removed. Kagome sighed softly, and closed her eyes again.
 
Inuyasha. When she opened her eyes, he was there, silver hair sliding over his shoulder as he stroked her cheek with a tender claw, a soft expression in his eyes that she knew was meant only for her. “Good, you're awake. Now the old hag and Shippo can quit harassing me about the condition you were in when I brought you home.”
 
“What was… my condition?”
 
“Out cold and drooling.”
 
“Like they haven't seen that before, every time I sleep... “
 
“I think the fact that I wasn't completely dressed also got them going.”
 
“Ohhhh.” Kagome nuzzled into his hand, closing her eyes again, recalling the view of his pectorals she'd recently had. “Do you know what happened to me back there?”
 
“Keh! Not really, just that you went from apparently thinking about having me for breakfast to handing me my ass on a platter in the blink of an eye.”
 
“I'm so sorry, Inuyasha…I don't know what happened, either. I saw you in the waterfall,” she blushed furiously, trying to hide her scarlet cheeks against his hand. “And then I had you up against a tree, but not in a way that would be much fun for either of us. Well, not unless I happen to be a sadistic, kinky-minded bitch…and I'm not.”
 
“Your eyes went silver, if that's any help.”
 
“Hunh?”
 
He patiently explained it, as if he was talking to someone completely addled, which maybe she was. “When Midoriko was putting you through your paces, your eyes were silver, not grey. This morning, same thing…funny eyes plus some amazing speed, girl. You had your sword at my throat before I even blinked…didn't even see you move.”
 
Great. More unpleasant shit. Maybe she was finally cracking up. Kagome was quiet for a long time while her brain hopped around, nibbling on bits of information. She registered a silky sensation sliding across her cheek, then lips pressing lightly against hers. Opening her eyes, he was right above her, a silver curtain shutting out the world. Quirking a smile at him, she noted that his eyes were golden embers, and hungry-looking, sending a small thrill of nervousness through her.
 
Inuyasha kissed her again, this time a little more intently. “Did you see anything you liked this morning, koishii?” His voice rumbled through her chest, and she was instantly aware of parts of her anatomy responding.
 
“Yes…quite a few things, actually…” Kagome sighed, turning her head away from his lips; he wasn't put out, rather started lightly kissing his way to her ear and from there down her neck to her collarbone.
 
Gagging sounds caused both to swivel their heads. Shippo was standing just inside the door, rolling his eyes and making retching sounds. He grinned evilly. “Get off her, dog-breath…you can mark territory later. The rest of us want to come in and sit where it's warm, but minus any entertainment.” Inuyasha tensed, but she gripped him warningly, so he settled for lifting her into his lap while glaring over her head at Shippo.
 
“Show's over, runt…tell them they won't have to gouge out their eyes…”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Twodays later
 
“I spy with my little eye, something that is …blue.”
 
“What, did the runt pull one of his lame-ass transformations again?”
 
“Lame-ass? You're the one who's lame-ass! You're just jealous that you can't do it…”
 
“At least I have something that transforms into something impressive…”
 
“Gee, Kagome…is it?”
 
Fuck, you moron, I meant the Tetsusaiga!”
 
“What did you think I was referring to?” The kit was all innocence, which changed to a delighted snigger as he tore off, the furious hanyou hot on his heels.
 
Kagome reined Arashi in, to allow Sango and Kirara to catch up. “Well, at least they're entertained…” she commented to the slayer wryly, listening to the yells and swearing as the chase took to the trees.
 
Sango looked over her shoulder to make sure that the monk was out of hearing range, then touched Kagome's shoulder. “Kagome…are you and Inuyasha…mated?” She was taken by surprise at the blunt question, but answered readily.
 
“No…but not for lack of inclination.”
 
“Be careful, Kagome. Dog demons are very possessive by nature…if you don't want to be with him…”
 
“But I do, Sango…it's kind of complicated, but I'll give you a brief summary…” Taking a deep breath, she told the slayer about Kikyo, the threat she posed to Inuyasha, and how the bit of her soul still inside Kagome gave her access to any private moments. When she finished, Sango looked stunned.
 
“Nothing for you is ever simple, is it, Kagome?”
 
“Nope. It's my destiny, apparently, to provide the gods with free entertainment…”
 
There was a shout of warning, a blast of youkai energy, and she dug her heels into Arashi, the mare surging ahead. Kirara veered off to the right, Sango bringing the Hiraikotsu into position. Yanking on the reins, Kagome wheeled the horse around, readying an arrow. Arashi snorted, and began to dance nervously sideways. Kagome was too startled at what she saw to react to the mare.
 
A fat, stolid, three-eyed bull with very spindly legs gazed about the clearing with a vaguely interested look on its face. On its back was an extremely scruffy-looking, elderly youkai with comical bugged eyes…eyes that were a good deal sharper than at first glance. He was glaring accusingly straight at Kagome, and opened his snaggly-toothed mouth to say something, when a silver and red blur dropped between the bull rider and the girl.
 
“What the hell do you want, old man?”
 
“The Tetsusaiga, whelp…draw your weapon.”
 
“What the...?”
 
“Defend yourself, Inuyasha...I will not warn you again.” A long-handled mallet was swung at the hanyou, and the Tetsusaiga roared to life. There was a tremendous clang, and a very surprised Inuyasha and his blade skidded backward.
 
“Why you nasty old turd…I'm not going to hold back this time!” A powerful downward swing was interrupted by…a piece of leather. Inuyasha's jaw dropped, when he realized that his blade was being vigorously stropped and examined by the old youkai, who muttered imprecations all the while.
 
Was thatbrimstone? The old geezer smells pretty ripe, but there's something else
 
“What the hell have you been doin' with my masterpiece, hanyou? Chopping trees? Look at the damage you've done to my beauty...oh, gods, that such a blade was ever put into your hands…” Kagome forced Arashi closer to the unbelievable tableau, while keeping an eye on the bull. A very familiar voice jarred her, and actually made Inuyasha jump.
 
“Totosai! Didn't I tell you that Inuyasha-sama had mastered the Tetsusaiga?”
 
“Mastered?! Humph! He might as well be swinging an axe…I shall have to reclaim it, Myoga, and break the blade…what a waste.” He was cut off and knocked flat by a fist to the jaw. Inuyasha stood over him, wearing a very frightening expression.
 
“Touch this blade and die, old man…Tetsusaiga is mine, and I'll never…”
 
The youkai sat up, rubbing his head. “I am Totosai, the swordsmith who forged that blade from your father's fang, whelp…and I have a challenge for you…but first…Girl! Come here!” Kagome's mouth opened and shut, as she realized he was glaring at her. Fuming, the old youkai sprang up with an agility belying his apparent age and began to stomp forward…until he was stopped roughly by a clawed hand and a growl.
 
“That's mine you're yelling at…I won't warn you again…”
 
Totosai observed him calmly. “Same tastes as your old man, eh? Figures… where do you dogs find these pretty humans? This one's right up there with your mother, whelp, and she was the most beautiful one I'd ever seen.” He turned back to Kagome, who had dismounted and edged closer. “Let me see your sword, young lady.”
 
“It's all right, Kagome-sama…Totosai means no harm.”
 
Giving the diminutive flea a hard look, she obeyed, drawing Fenikkusuken and cautiously holding it towards the old youkai, honed edge down. She yipped in surprise when he casually grabbed it by the blade and pulled it right up to his face. He inspected every inch, sniffing the metal, and at one point, even licking it. Inuyasha took the opportunity to work his way around behind Kagome, dropping his hand onto her shoulder and angling Tetsusaiga in front of her, so the blade was between her and Totosai.
 
The smith finished his minute inspection of the weapon, paying particular attention to the area just below the hilt. Sighing in frustration, he balanced the sword on his fingertip, ignoring the bead of blood that came up, and scratching his head with his blackened claws. Kagome stifled the urge to itch her own scalp. “I know every single blade that I've ever forged…and I could swear this is one of mine, but there's no maker's mark…where did you get this, young lady?”
 
“Uh…it was a gift…”
 
His bulbous eyes turned rather beady. “Who in their right mind gives a demonic weapon to a human girl? Yet, it has accepted you as mistress…what is its name?”
 
“Fenikkusuken.”
 
He chewed his rather scabby-looking lips. “Phoenix Blade, eh? Hmmm…Fenikkusu-saiga doesn't sound right…uh-huh… well, my beauty, let's have a look at your inner fire…” Twirling the blade casually, he suddenly snapped his wrist. “Phoenix Fang…Ignite!” Kagome cringed backwards, shielded by Inuyasha's upraised arm, as a narrow blast of shimmering flame blazed across the clearing and exploded a small tree. Totosai chuckled at her wide eyes and dropped jaw. “This is definitely the work of my forge, girl…only the one who makes it and the one chosen by it can draw on its power.” He tossed it back to her; Kagome recovered fast enough to catch it without cutting herself.
 
“Totosai… sir…how'd you do that?!”
 
“Your own weapon, and you don't know how to use it? Truly, you and the whelp are perfectly suited to each other…all I can tell you is that it was forged from not one, but two fangs…can't imagine how I pulled that off; testament to my superior ability, I'd say…and probably has a couple of tricks up its scabbard. Whelp, you and I have some business to conclude.”
 
Inuyasha tore his eyes away from Kagome, who was gingerly inspecting her sword like it would turn into a venomous snake in her hands, and glared at the smith, who was placidly flicking bits of dirt off his grungy striped gi with broken and chipped nails. “What is this challenge, old man?”
 
“A client that I turned down is angry, and has threatened to kill me. Defeat him, and you may keep your blade, Inuyasha.”
 
“Keh! Is that all? Thought there was a catch…”
 
“Inuyasha! Incoming!” A shockwave of strong youkai knocked into Kagome, sending her backwards into Inuyasha. Even though she ought to be used to seeing some rather unusual sights by now, this grand entrance still took her breath away. A large, two-headed dragon-like thing soared over the trees, and swooped downwards. A tall, silver-and-white creature slipped gracefully from its back, and floated towards them, youkai power fairly crackling through the air. Her heart sank. Damn…the `client' was Sesshomaru…and he was extremely pissed. Wonderful
 
“Inuyasha, why are you consorting with Totosai?” The words were hissed more than spoken in that icy voice.
 
“He's going to protect me from you, you overgrown puppy…”
 
Sesshomaru's eyes narrowed. He noted that Inuyasha stepped around his bitch, pushing her firmly behind him, but not before he noticed the leather armour the girl was wearing. His eyes flared red. What…the human dareshow… With an effort, he turned his attention back to the matter at hand. Plenty of time to tear Totosai and Inuyasha to shreds…he'd spare the girl long enough for an explanation… “Then you must surely desire the grave, old man. Will you defend him, Inuyasha?”
 
“If it gives me the chance to kick your skinny ass… with pleasure!”
 
Kagome briefly gripped Inuyasha's shoulder. “Be careful…he probably has something unpleasant up his sleeve…”
 
He reached up and pressed his fingers over hers. “It's only Sesshomaru, Kagome…nobody important.” Swinging Tetsusaiga up to his other shoulder, he let go of her hand, and walked casually towards his brother. “So you wanted Totosai to forge you a new blade, eh? What's the matter with the one you've already got? Too pretty to be taken seriously… like you?”
 
Kagome found her elbow being gripped by Totosai. “Come along, young lady…no sense being in the way of these two idiots…”
 
“Hey! That's no way to talk about the guy whose defending you!”
 
“They're thick-skulled, stubborn and unappreciative of my efforts…their father would have thrashed the two of them, had he lived.” Totosai pulled her and Arashi around behind his bull, then crooked his finger at Miroku, Sango and Shippo. “You, too…let's make it nice and cozy…”
 
Kagome threw the reins to Shippo, and put him up on Arashi's back. “Take her out of the clearing, Shippo…too much youkai makes her skittish. Stay back there until the coast is clear, all right?” She didn't give him time to protest, smacking the mare's rump to send her trotting briskly towards the trees, the kit bouncing up and down on her back. He threw a panicked look over his shoulder at her, before the undergrowth swallowed them.
 
Kirara mewed from Sango's lap, an intent expression on her little face. Sango scratched her ear. “Who is that demon? …houshi, don't you even think about it…” Miroku sighed and moved his hand away.
 
“That, my dear Sango-sama, is Sesshomaru, the elder brother of our hanyou.”
 
“He looks quite different…”
 
“He's a full demon…they're actually half-brothers. Inuyasha's mother was human…”
 
“One as lovely as you, Kagome-sama…just as Totosai said.”
 
Kagome looked over, to see Myoga perched on Kirara's head. “Myoga-san…do we look that much safer?”
 
“Are you kidding me? Between you, Totosai and Inuyasha-sama…yes!”
 
The brothers had been facing off against each other; Kagome noted that Sesshomaru seemed to be trying to get between Inuyasha and the group. “Miroku…give me a hand here…not that kind, hentai!... help me set a barrier…I don't trust Sesshomaru…”
 
“Any particular reason, young lady?” Totosai asked innocently.
 
“Besides the fact he's a nasty piece of work?” Between her and the monk, a pinkish barrier swirled around the group, thickening and solidifying, buttressed by four sutras stuck on the massive bull's bulk. Sesshomaru snarled when he noticed it, then focussed on Inuyasha.
 
“It is an abomination that you carry that blade, brother…I will kill you purely to spite our father's will…and then the Tetsusaiga will accept me as its new master.” He leapt, swung, and landed a punch that sent Inuyasha flying.
 
“Damn you, asshole…ya just won't give it up, will ya?” He dove at Sesshomaru, sweeping the blade in a double pass, one high and one low, but the demon gracefully dodged.
 
“Not even a scratch…pathetic.”
 
Kagome became aware of the grumbling emanating from the smith. “Myoga, I thought you said that Inuyasha'd mastered the Tetsusaiga?”
 
“He did, Totosai…once…Kirara told me about it!”
 
Kagome broke in. “He did master it…took out at least one hundred demons in one swing.”
 
Totosai's eyes were sharp. “Tell me something, young lady…was he defending you at the time?”
 
“All of us, actually…” The smith nodded slowly, his eyes not leaving Kagome, until she felt like squirming under his gaze.
 
Another curse, and a thump accompanied by the sound of a skidding body drew their attention back. Inuyasha was downed, again, and Totosai sighed heavily. Kagome jabbed him. “Every time they fight, Inuyasha is always the victor…” she began heatedly.
 
An icy voice chilled her. “Then his winning streak ends…now.” As Inuyasha swung, it became apparent exactly what Sesshomaru had up his sleeve. The Tetsusaiga was stopped in its downward path, crackling and hissing, by a strange, scaly, nastily-clawed limb.
 
Sango gasped. “That's a dragon's leg…much tougher than any demon…”
 
Inuyasha smirked, applying more pressure to the Tetsusaiga. “Think you've found a way around the shielding spell, brother?”
 
“All I need is to hold you off long enough, cur.” Sesshomaru cracked his knuckles, and struck with his claws, leaving long sizzling scratches across Inuyasha's face. Then he began a swift, slashing attack that the hanyou was barely able to parry as he was forced steadily backward. “I have no fear of one so unaware of the power of this blade…I cannot comprehend why the Tetsusaiga accepted you as master…”
 
“It has good taste, asshole!”
 
“Sesshomaru! Do you know of the `Wind Scar'?” They all turned to look at Totosai, who seemed rather agitated.
 
Sesshomaru snorted. “Of course. Any full demon with the appropriate abilities can…” He cracked his knuckles again, and drove in around the blade to strike Inuyasha in the chest, sending the hanyou into a cursing heap.
 
Totosai shook his head. “It's all over for the whelp, then…”
 
“What do you mean, Totosai-sama? What is this `Wind Scar'?” Miroku asked, forestalling Kagome giving the smith a severe tongue-lashing.
 
“It is the means to draw out the blade's full power…the strength to defeat one hundred demons in one blow…it's no use…he'll never master it in time to save himself…” He turned a speculative eye on Kagome. She didn't like the look he was giving her, and liked it even less when he said what was on his mind. “Unless, of course, he must defend something that he values…”
 
“Forget it, Totosai, I'm not going out there…can't you teach it to him?”
 
“It can't be taught…he has to sense it himself. If he cannot, then he was not meant to wield the Tetsusaiga.”
 
Inuyasha was angry, injured and puzzled. How can my brother see it, but I can't? I know I did it once…what was it that triggered the `Wind Scar'? Tetsusaiga thrummed in his hand, and he barely parried another strike by Sesshomaru. “Damn you!” he roared, and swept at the demon, who smirked, and dodged. Suddenly, Inuyasha felt his legs give way, and he went down on his knees. What the hell…?
 
“You have a full dose of my venom, little brother…the more you move, the more it circulates…”
 
You bastard!” Kagome launched herself out of the barrier, shredding it, pulling her bow and an arrow out of the quiver, and lining up as Sesshomaru turned to face her. Before she could release, the Hiraikotsu whizzed past her at shoulder height, Sango angrily shouting something at the taiyoukai. There was a ringing thwack as the boomerang collided with something very solid and metallic, and ricocheted, sheering violently straight up, then came slicing down, thudding into the ground behind the two girls.
 
Inuyasha stood, glaring furiously at them, the Tetsusaiga raised.
 
“Lower that arrow, wench. Do not interfere, any of you…Sesshomaru is mine!” He turned back to face his brother. Sango yanked the Hiraikotsu out of the ground and grabbed the back of Kagome's tunic, tugging her towards the group. She went unwillingly, her mind turning over with something she had to remember…something that was important…the Tenseiga
 
Kagome shoved her weapons back into the quiver, and found her voice. “Please don't kill him! We need him!”
 
Sesshomaru snickered. “It appears your bitch doesn't think highly of your fighting abilities, little brother…”
 
“Keh! She wasn't asking for mercy from you, idiot…she was asking it for you!”
 
“Presumptuous little…”
 
“You can insult me all you want, asshole, but leave her out of it. You're not fit to say her name…”
 
“Humph…you will regret turning down their offer of assistance…”
 
“I'll find the `Wind Scar'…and use it to slice you into pieces…”
 
Sesshomaru laughed chillingly, and seized the Tetsusaiga with the dragon's claw. “Surrender…and I will kill you first, so that you don't have to watch your bitch die…”
 
“I will…not…lose!” Inuyasha twisted the blade, and drove it through the borrowed limb, cracking the bones and shredding the skin. As he pulled back, Sesshomaru sneered, and slashed his glowing claws across his face again, then followed it up with a crushing punch to the wound in Inuyasha's chest. Dimly, Inuyasha heard Kagome scream his name, as his brother faded from his sight.
 
“He's been blinded…Sesshomaru, how dare you!”
 
“Shut up, bitch…I will deal with you in a moment…Inuyasha…this is your death!”
 
Kagome was restrained from putting an arrow through Sesshomaru's back by Totosai. “Let me go, you idiot…Sesshomaru's going to kill him…”
 
The smith didn't take his eyes from the scene in front of them. “He'll either kill him, or Inuyasha will find the `Wind Scar'…save your energy for defending us if he doesn't…”
 
“What's happening to Sesshomaru-sama?” shouted Sango, pointing. They looked to see the taiyoukai's cheek stripes fraying, his face lengthening into a muzzle, his eyes burning scarlet red, his fangs elongating until his features were hardly recognizable.
 
Miroku prepared to unwind the prayer beads. “He's showing his true form, Sango-sama…Inuyasha! He's coming for you!”
 
Inuyasha held very still. The energy taken from his eyesight seemed to redirect to his ears and his nose, as he panted, straining with all his uncompromised senses to get a picture of what was going on. His demonic energy…I can hear it swirling, building…the friction of the wind from his power colliding with the wind from the Tetsusaiga? …it smells different. Wait… there's a space…a slice of clear, fresh air…I can smell it…is that it? Is that the `Wind Scar'? Yes!
 
With a shout, he sprang to his feet, and charged directly towards the dark power source, aiming at the narrow gap of freshly-scented air…and swung a mighty blow.
 
Kagome was bodily hauled down by Totosai behind his bull; Miroku, Kirara and Sango were already squeezed up against the animal's bulk. “A barrier would be appreciated, young lady…do your stuff!” Miroku left her to it, as she coated them with pink energy. Drawing Fenikkusuken, she held it in both hands, bracing it against the bull's ample back, blade outward, and created a second layer of silver sparks. She was in the best position to see the five blazing arcs of light scream outward from the Tetsusaiga. Totosai slipped up beside her, sucking in his breath as Sesshomaru halted in his forward charge, twisted, and was engulfed in brilliant sparkling red flames. Miroku and Sango came up to watch, open-mouthed, as the taiyoukai spiralled up and away into the sky, until he looked no larger than a pinprick of silver.
 
“Well, well, well…the whelp had it in him after all.”
 
Kagome dropped the barrier and vaulted over the bull, racing to Inuyasha's side, dropping to her knees and wrapping her arms around his shoulders. She pulled back a moment, cupping his cheek in her hand, and kissed his brows, noting how his eyes were still glazed-looking from the venom. His hand came up to clasp her wrist. “Is it over…?”
 
“Yes, and your winning streak remains intact…I'm so proud of you, Inuyasha. You unleashed Tetsusaiga's full power all on your own.”
 
“Full power? Don't make me laugh.” They all looked at Totosai, who was leaning against his bull, picking his teeth with a grungy nail. “If Inuyasha had used full power, Sesshomaru would be dead…and the Tetsusaiga destroyed.”
 
“You mean he's not…?”
 
“Whaddya mean, I didn't use full power? I meant to…”
 
“Not by a long shot. Sesshomaru is severely injured, of course, but not dead. You might have missed the flash of light in all the excitement, but the Tenseiga acted to protect him. As for you, Inuyasha, you couldn't quite bring yourself to kill your own flesh and blood…an admirable trait.”
 
“Keh! I didn't kill him because Kagome asked me not to…”
 
“Uh-huh.”
 
Sango drew the smith's attention from the stare-down he was engaged in with the sightless hanyou. “Totosai-san, why didn't Sesshomaru-sama use his sword during the battle?”
 
“Because Tenseiga is a blade for healing, not for killing. It can raise one hundred souls from the dead with one swing…it is my finest creation, next to Tetsusaiga.”
 
“No wonder Sesshomaru-sama desires a new blade…he needs to have a compassionate heart in order to use Tenseiga…something he is entirely lacking.” Miroku commented, while admiring the way Sango tilted her head on the side when she was thinking.
 
Something pricked at Kagome's mind. “What did you mean, the Tetsusaiga would be destroyed?”
 
“If Inuyasha had swung with full intent to kill his brother I would have broken the blade…the Tetsusaiga can only be wielded by one with a soft heart, not one like Sesshomaru who is too cold-blooded. I suspect that is why your father distributed the blades the way he did. He was hoping that Sesshomaru would learn enough to open his soul…while the Tetsusaiga was to protect you and even the score when you faced attack.”
 
Inuyasha's sight cleared; seeing his girl practically in his lap, he leaned up to kiss her cheek, and then her lips when she turned her head, surprised. Kagome hugged him tightly, then helped him stand up. “Well, old man, did I pass your challenge?”
 
Grudgingly, Totosai nodded. “Give me the blade, whelp…I'll sharpen it for you. You'll need it, when Sesshomaru recovers and comes looking for revenge.”
 
Movement on the other side of the clearing caught their attention. Shippo and Arashi came into view, the kit fairly bouncing up and down on the saddle. “That was great, Inuyasha! He went up like a firework! Bet he won't be back to bother us!”
 
Kagome turned, and looked up into the sky, biting her lip.
 
What if he…he can't die
Are you thinking what I think you're thinking?
We need him against Naraku…should I?
He was going to kill you!
Oh, boy…I really need my head examined.
Look, can I stay here? I won't bother anyone, honest…
You both have to come and help me.
I hate to admit it, but she's right
Leave me out of this!
Get along, you two. Don't make this any harder than it's going to be…