InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Phoenix Blade: Time Lapse ❯ No Man's Land ( Chapter 26 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I don't own anything…All characters are created and owned by Takahashi-sama!
 
Bouquets: Thanks, Nokomarie! A chapter without fluff is like a day without chocolate…
 
A/N: OOC alert for Sesshomaru here…hey, if you'd been `wind scar'-red into the middle of the following week, you might be experiencing technical difficulties, too…
 
The Phoenix Blade: Time Lapse
Chapter 26: No Man's Land
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Sengoku Jidai
 
Kagome edged Arashi through the dying vegetation, all senses on high alert. It had been an eventful trip so far. There had been the run-in with a half-dozen ronin that she had won handily, and the nasty encounter with the fire-worm oni that had her cleaning her leather armour thoroughly from the acidic ichor. These may only be an opening act for what was to come…
 
Her purpose on the journey was ostensibly to keep her promise to return both the borrowed horse litter and the two horses to the village where Sesshomaru had punched a hole through Inuyasha's gut. There had been a few hard frosts, and the animals weren't really welcome at Kaede's village any longer. As it turned out, the widow's new husband was very appreciative of the return of the horses.
 
Since the arc of her return took her near to where she estimated the Wind Scar might have thrown Sesshomaru, she had packed extra medical supplies, just in case she came across him. Actually, the horse litter was just an excuse. The real purpose of the trip was to track down the demon lord.
 
She was looking for a homicidal taiyoukai with fratricidal tendencies to see if she could patch him up. She was going to have to revise her lifetime list of Suicidal Things I Have Done and put this particular item at the top.
 
The things I do for a destiny I'm not sure I want…
You do need your head examined, you know.
Fenikkusuken won't let me alone.
Still talking to the sword, huh?
Have you tried ignoring him?…if we didn't need Sesshomaru to destroy Naraku…
Inuyasha's gonna have a total hissy
If he can stick up for a bitchy dead miko, then I can stick up for a rabid taiyoukai…at least mine is alive…
 
Kagome had managed to go solo on this trip by taking the expedient of growling at everyone and telling a small fib. It was her promise, and her responsibility, and besides, she wouldn't mind some time alone. She was a big girl, with a handy sword, so could take care of herself, thank you very much. The rest of them could go hunting shards themselves...Inuyasha had not been a happy puppy.
 
“Kagome, I don't feel right about you taking off by yourself…”
 
Kagome was busy tightening Arashi's girth and checking the security of the saddlebags. “I know, dog-boy. But, I figure since Naraku is skulking somewhere rebuilding himself, the coast is clear for a while.”
 
Inuyasha shook his silver head. “I don't like to be parted from what is mine…”
 
“Not yours yet, buddy…though not for lack of trying, I'll give you that…” Kagome sighed then, the wistful tone in the hanyou's voice sparking a twinge of guilt that started enthusiastically prodding her conscience with a sharp stick. She stepped around Arashi, up to Inuyasha, and wound herself around him affectionately. His lips nuzzled her ear, his hands slipping under her tunic to find comfortable purchase on her hips, his thumbs hooking into the waistband of her trousers. She slid her hands up his back, under his hair, and then her fingers worked their way up his scalp towards those fuzzy white triangles.
 
“Just the two of us could go…” Chest to chest, his voice did that rumble-thing which caused sensitive body parts to go very hard and rub against the inside of her armour in a very unsettling way. The fact that he started nibbling his way from her earlobe to her jaw also caused a bit of pleasant bodily reaction. She smiled at his sharp intake of breath when her fingers reached the base of his ears. Slowly she began gently rubbing, enjoying the feel of the soft fur brushing her fingertips, and the low purr that began in the back of his throat. The hardening of another of his appendages against her belly reminded her she wasn't doing a very good job of extricating herself from his clutches, and she started trying to remember her exit strategy.
 
“Think of it as only a few days, Inuyasha…I'll be back before you know it. I just want to explore the countryside a bit by myself. I've only ever seen it covered in buildings and asphalt in my time, and here, we're either on our way to a fight, or on our way back from one, so I don't have much time to enjoy the scenery.” She stroked both his ears from base to tip and then lightly traced the shell-pink outside edge. Groaning, he nearly dissolved into a puddle of red fire-rat right then and there on the floor of the stable. Kagome was about to make good on her escape, when she found herself sprawled on a pile of hay with a panting inu-youkai on top of her. “Inuyasha! Wha…?”
 
“Shhh, koishii…they'll hear us. Just want to give you something to think about while you're gone…” His claw tips were perfectly suited to flicking the snaps on her tunic, she discovered, as he had it open in two seconds flat and spread as wide as possible. The buckles closing her body armour were the next to go, and then he lowered himself down on her and began kissing every square inch of skin available, including that covered by her sports bra.
 
For the first time, Kagome didn't immediately think of the cold-bucket-of-water named Kikyo, and just allowed herself to enjoy his attentions, making appreciative mewling noises and squirming a bit, especially when he started teasing her nipples through the fabric. He broke that off, breathing a little hard, and licked and kissed his way up to her lips, finishing off with one of those fuzzy-thought-inducing assaults of her mouth that left her gasping.
 
He smirked gently at her dazed expression, and then was surprised when she tangled her fingers in his sidelocks and pulled him down for another melting kiss that nearly got out of hand, what with the insistent bucking movement that her hips were doing against his and the sensuous way her tongue was wrapping around his. When they finally came up for air, he was looking into dark sea-misted pools, her lips nicely pink and slightly swollen. He ran a claw along her jaw and up into her hair over her temple, his honey-dark eyes hooded, then dipped to run his tongue along the same path, finishing with a series of quick little kisses across her brow. “If you're sure you have to go…”
 
“You're not making it easy, you puppy-eared brat… Lying here with you is very nice, even with the straw poking me in funny places… Hey, are you marking territory on me or something?”
 
“As much as I can with your clothes on…I'd rather scent-mark you the permanent way, but I have plans for that which don't involve an audience, even though Arashi isn't likely to blab. I'll let you go, koishii, but only if you promise to hurry back.”
 
Kagome smiled shyly up at him, twirling a lock of silver hair around her fingers. “I will…koibito.”
 
Flushing with pleasure at the unexpected endearment, he kissed her lightly, then pulled both of them to standing. She let him re-buckle her armour while she brushed straw out of his hair, and then he returned the favour while she re-clipped her tunic. She untied Arashi's reins while he waited, then slipped her hand into his and squeezed. He caught her around the waist with his other arm, and hugged her breathless. “You'd better leave before my possessive nature gets the better of me…see you in a few days. I'll be spending most of my time until then in the river…”
 
Instead of her coming all the way back alone, they'd agreed to rendezvous at a small village three days away to the west from their base. Miroku had suggested it; Sango had rolled her eyes and muttered something about new fields to conquer, but they'd all agreed to meet there in a week's time. Kagome had a feeling that Inuyasha would try to find her along the way, and hoped that he didn't run into his brother first.
 
Regarding her current predicament, of course Inuyasha would be so understanding if she told him she was going looking for his brother…he'd probably have tied her to the Goshinboku to stop her.
 
Ooh, that could be fun
Tied to a bed, maybe…but not tied up like that!
::bats eyelashes:: Tried it, have you?
I am so not having this conversation with an inanimate object…
Inanimate? ::splutters:: You wound me, my ladywhat's the difference between a shard and a sword?
Is that some kind of joke?
::::
 
Sighing, trying to ignore the guilt-causing suggestion that she was somehow being disloyal to her hanyou by helping his brother, she brought her attention back to the task at hand, peering into the undergrowth, searching for a flash of white.
 
She was unprepared when Fenikkusuken zapped her. “Yowch! Shush, you recycled trash can… Why can't you just say something instead of the shock treatment? Geez…” The blade thrummed insistently. “Is he here? Damn, too bad he isn't wearing a radio collar…would make this so much more simple.” Kagome concentrated, searching out the distinctive trace markings of Sesshomaru's youkai. Was that it, over there? It was so faint… She snapped her eyes open, and urged Arashi over in the direction of a small copse, fording a stream in the process.
 
He's not dead, is he?
Dead youkai can't tickle your aura.
I suppose not…
 
The weak late fall sun was behind her; she caught a glimmer of white in the deep shade of the undergrowth. A flare of youkai and a snarling growl proved that yes, indeed, it was Sesshomaru, and he was in a lovely mood.
 
Great. Forgot my gun and tranquilizer darts
 
Kagome prodded Arashi over to the left, so that she could have a clear view of the injured taiyoukai, and he could see her without the sun blinding him. Of all things, she didn't want to surprise him. She wondered if Fenikkusuken would react to a threat from Sesshomaru the same way it did to Inuyasha…she hoped she didn't have to run an experiment to find out.
 
She swung off Arashi, and walked forward, holding the mare's reins, until she was less than twenty feet from the bloody pile of fur and silk. A pair of crimson-red eyes glared at her, and she could see elongated fangs gleaming…but he didn't seem to be able to move. “Sesshomaru? It's the irritating miko...” A nasty hissing sound. She pulled her quiver from her back, and hung it by its strap over the pommel of the saddle, then removed the scabbarded sword from her obi and held it in her right hand, away from her body, and slowly walked towards him.
 
“No closer!” snarled a voice that could only vaguely be described as human. She detected great pain, anger and a whole lot of wild youkai flying around under there. Screwing up her courage, she walked a few paces closer, keeping her limbs loose and in full view, then sank carefully to her knees.
 
Now she could see him. His beautiful face was definitely thinner, and the cheek stripes were frayed-looking along their edges, even after more than a week. His spiky breastplate was missing, and the rest of the armour plating was jagged and askew. Realizing that he had been laying here since the battle, she felt equal parts relief that he hadn't been eaten by anything, and guilt that Inuyasha's proud brother had come to such a pass. Actually, for having absorbed a near-full impact of the `Wind Scar', he wasn't in too bad of a shape…at least he was intact. His eyes were blazing red and gold…and he was favouring her with a very impressive death glare.
 
“What do you want, human bitch?” he ground out.
 
“I came to make sure you were all right, Sesshomaru.”
 
He snorted, then grimaced. “Did my dear brother send you to collect a trophy?”
 
“No. He does not know that I have chosen to come.”
 
“Feh…How did you know where to find me?”
 
Kagome looked him in the eye. “My sword.”
 
“That pathetic piece of metal?” Fenikkusuken grumbled; she patted the hilt soothingly. “Do you really expect this Sesshomaru to believe that you are only here to help me?”
 
“I don't expect you to understand; I would not leave Inuyasha's elder brother to die like, well, a dog, to be quite frank. I didn't feel comfortable leaving a taiyoukai to be food for any low-level oni that happens by, or for any other demon that wouldn't hesitate to take advantage of you in your current condition.” Kagome stood up and went to retrieve the saddle bags, returning to a spot just under the cover of the outermost trees that sheltered him. He watched her warily.
 
“What do you think you are doing?”
 
“Guarding you.”
 
The growl he emitted didn't surprise her. “This Sesshomaru does not require the assistance of a human bitch…”
 
“The fact that you haven't already bisected me with your claws tells me that you can't move, Sesshomaru…you've been damn lucky so far.” There was a fair bit more growling and snarling, and then silence. Kagome grinned to herself, and was about to open the saddlebags when she saw movement in the bushes on the other side of the clearing. She quickly trilled a warning; Arashi obligingly ghosted back into the undergrowth while she slipped behind a tree, dragging the bags with her, and watched. She was startled at what crept out of the bushes and skipped towards them. “We have company…”
 
“She comes, every day, with some offering or other…most of it disgusting.” His voice was low, but not dangerous.
 
“She must think her god is very finicky.” Kagome retorted, and slid further around the tree.
 
A very dirty small girl, about six years old, danced over the meadow, carrying something clutched in a large leaf. She walked right past the hidden girl and approached Sesshomaru cautiously, laying the offering within reach of his hand, then regarded him with bright eyes and a big smile. Her kosode was old and tattered…she'd probably had it since she was three or four, and had nearly outgrown it.
 
Sesshomaru rumbled. “Thank you, but I am not hungry at present.” Kagome nearly choked…the Lord of the Assholes being polite to a human child? This had to be one for the record books…the little girl beamed up at him, then scampered away. After waiting a cautious interval, Kagome went over to see what the girl had brought. She squatted down to pick up a scrawny dead rat by its tail, and regarded it sceptically.
 
“If this is what passes for food for that little mite, I can completely understand why it doesn't appeal to you…I'll dispose of this when I set the barrier…”
 
“Human filth, are you making a presumption regarding this Sesshomaru?”
 
Back to being cranky
 
“Yep. I'm presuming I'll tolerate you and your attitude… I'll be back as soon as I secure the perimeter.” She grinned at the look on his face, and whistled for Arashi. Scooping the dead rat and an equally limp frog, she swung aboard and trotted off until they were lost to his view.
 
“Impudent little bitch…truly a fine match for that bastard half-breed,” he muttered.
 
His depleted senses picked up a fine tremour in the air, and he had to think about it for a moment, before identifying the source. She did set a spiritual barrier… His eyes were sharp when Kagome returned. She dusted her hands, and set to removing the horse's tack, and staking her out to graze. He watched her pull out a sturdy handle with a piece of triangular metal attached, and was startled when she twisted it, a serviceable shovel materializing in her hands.
 
Kagome proceeded to dig a deep firepit far enough away from Sesshomaru that the smoke wouldn't bother him too much…maybe just a little bit… and then set about lighting a fire. The depth of the pit would keep the light from broadcasting their position, and it concentrated the heat for smokeless burning. She slogged off to the stream, retrieved a bucket of water and began boiling a kettle suspended over the flames.
 
Sesshomaru watched her intently…well, since he could barely move even his head, so long as she was in his line of sight, he didn't have much choice. He did notice that she moved economically, even cleanly, not wasting energy on useless gestures. She was alert, her head swivelling towards the slightest noise, until it was identified and classified as either threat or not. Her bow stayed to hand, as did her sword; he had to admit, she seemed to know what she was doing… like a trained warrior.
 
The taiyoukai was surprised to come to that conclusion. Humans were just so many lumps of flesh for slaughter…usually. Occasionally, he had come across a superior specimen, but never a female. He felt himself becoming even more annoyed. This human female…this bitch should not be so sure of herself, should not be armed and armoured like she deserved it, and above all, should not be presuming to guard him.
 
Kagome looked over at the growling demon, and noted his youkai flaring. Shrugging, she went back to preparing her rations and some tea. Sesshomaru could work himself up all he wanted; it wasn't going to help him heal any faster. She pondered the little girl instead. She needed to be cleaned up a bit; it was obvious no one who cared looked after her…perhaps some food would do the trick.
 
“Bitch…I require some water.” Kagome restrained herself from answering him in kind; instead bringing her bowl and cup with her, as well as a canteen of fresh water dipped out of the stream. She carefully set her dinner down, and then held the canteen, waiting for him. He bared his fangs at her; she sighed and shook her head. “Miserable human…”
 
“Let's try some mutual respect, Sesshomaru. My name is Kagome, and while I might be a bitch, I usually do not respond well to being referred to as one…it took your brother a while to figure that out. Shall we see if you are any quicker on the uptake?” He snarled; she merely looked at him. There was a moment of silence, and then he threw her off with a question.
 
“I demand to know why you are garbed as a captain of the guard from my ancestral fortress.” He was momentarily gratified by the way her jaw nearly bounced off her lap. Her mouth was working as she fingered the hem of the tunic with one hand, then raised stunned eyes to him.
 
“I-It was a gift, from the emperor that I serve…”
 
He seized on the phrasing. “The `emperor that you serve'…his name?”
 
Her mouth snapped shut, and the wall came up behind her eyes. Damn, she's good, he thought faintly. “The Emperor of Japan, of course.”
 
Sesshomaru locked his yellow gaze on hers; she didn't flinch. “I recognize the chrysanthemum seal, but not the colours…I have never known this emperor to have any females guarding him… the shogun's men have that privilege.”
 
Kagome straightened. “I am Celestial Bodyguard to the Emperor of Japan. I don't know how this armour came to resemble anything you'd recognize…maybe someone survived an encounter with your troops, and were so impressed they copied the style?”
 
“Unlikely. Survivors are not tolerated…you do not even know what it is made out of, do you, stupid little human?”
 
She glared at him. “Some kind of very tough leather.”
 
“Inuyasha did not tell you? Perhaps he does not remember…he was very young…”
 
“Yeah, pretty much a baby when you kicked him and his mother out of the fortress, you cold-hearted, arrogant son of a bitch…”
 
“Dragon hide…and of course my mother was a bitch. I am pure inu-youkai, after all.”
 
Her spluttering was gratifying; he allowed himself a moment of internal glee. She took a deep breath; he broke in. “From the colour of the skin, I would say the hide came from the throat of the beast; not the strongest material for full protection, but soft enough to be usable by a weak human.”
 
Kagome stifled the urge to dump the canteen, contents and all, on his head. Instead, she laid it down with elaborate care, and retreated to where she'd left her rapidly cooling dinner. Retrieving her food, she walked back to the fire, and sat down to eat in silence, her back to him. After about fifteen minutes, she heard Sesshomaru grumble quietly. She was debating whether just to give in and go get the water, when he startled her by speaking in a rather strangled tone.
 
“Miko, could you trouble yourself to give me some water?”
 
Boy, he must really be thirsty
 
Carefully schooling her expression into one of complete neutrality, Kagome put down her tea and rose to return to his side. Avoiding his eyes, she unscrewed the canteen's cap, and moved as close to him as she dared, carefully moving the filthy pelt out of the way. She held the canteen to his lips, watching carefully to gauge the water flow…he didn't seem to be the type to be too forgiving if she drenched him…and after a few swallows, he turned his head. Kagome reacted quickly enough to tilt it up, except for one drop that escaped onto his chin. Without thinking, she reached to wipe it away…only to snatch her hand back at his ferocious growl. Replacing the cap, she moved away while stiffly retorting, “Excuse me, Sesshomaru…I meant no disrespect.”
 
When Sesshomaru didn't respond, she returned to the fire, and poked it a bit. She knew he was watching her; the fine hairs on her arms were standing up. Turning her head slightly towards him, she softly spoke. “It must be a terrible comedown for a taiyoukai such as you to have need of assistance, particularly since it is a human offering it.” He snorted, and she found herself grinning slightly. He and the hanyou were so very much alike in hating to be at a disadvantage, as well as having inherently bad attitudes.
 
“Then why did you leave my worthless half-brother in order to assist me? Are you not afraid he might wander off and get lost without you there to guide him?”
 
She tapped her chin with her forefinger, pretending to give intent thought to her answer. “Hmmm…the more relevant question is why am I bothering to worry about a bad-tempered taiyoukai with serious arrogance issues?”
 
“I await your searingly intellectual reasoning with baited breath…”
 
“It is actually Tenseiga that interests me… it is important to the destruction of Naraku, and since you are the only one who can wield it, I will not let anyone, including your brother, kill you until that abomination is defeated.”
 
“How long do you intend to torment me with your presence?”
 
“Until you can defend yourself, or that obnoxious toad shows up.” She turned to face him; his eyes glowed in the shadows. She dropped her voice, knowing that he could hear her effortlessly. “To that end, at least let us try to be civil. You may call me `miko' since my name apparently chokes you.”
 
“You reek of my brother, and you are upwind.”
 
Kagome snickered. “I do travel with him, and sometimes we find ourselves in very close quarters…before you start in with the `smell' insults, I'd like to point out that you haven't bathed in at least a week and a half…but I wasn't going to mention that, since I have some manners.” His growl was gratifying. Lucky for me he can't move…or can he? No, I'd be dead by now if he could Kagome stood up, shook herself, and walked over to the tree she'd picked to sit up against for the night. Wrapping her bedroll around herself, draping her cloak over her legs, she sat down, arranging her quiver and bow at her side, and the sword leaning against her shoulder.
 
“What do you think you are doing, bi…miko?”
 
“Standing watch, of course.”
 
“Feh, useless girl…you'll be asleep in an instant…I do not need to sleep, and have twice the senses that you do…”
 
“And you can't move an inch, so what good are those extra advantages?” Got you there, you arrogant twit…she thought triumphantly. “If anything demonic hits my barrier, we'll both know about it.” Kagome could have sworn she heard a small sigh.
 
There was a small moment of silence. “Hey, Sesshomaru…where is the toad?”
 
“Jaken was sent for help…”
 
“And instead, you got me, you lucky sod.” The taiyoukai couldn't suppress a groan; Kagome chortled delightedly. This might turn out to be fun…
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
The next morning, he watched her in the pre-dawn darkness, moving about, kindling the fire to leaping flames, attending to her mount, disappearing with the shovel. She was gone for a while, and he was actually a very tiny bit glad when she returned after a stop at the stream to splash water on her face. The kettle was bubbling merrily, and whatever she poured the hot water into actually smelled…intriguing? He was mulling over this distressing response to human fodder when Kagome approached him, a cup in her hand.
 
Sesshomaru studied her, noting that her tunic was unclipped, showing the sutra-fortified body armour underneath. She'd left her cloak by her sleeping place, but the quiver was already on her back and the sword in her other hand. Lying it down on the ground, she crouched beside him, seemingly hesitant about something.
 
“Speak, miko.”
 
“Would you care for some tea, Sesshomaru?”
 
He arched a fine eyebrow at her, while she waited patiently, her eyes fastened on the stripes decorating one cheek. She'd decided his eyes reminded her of a big cat…as in lion or tiger. As in apex predator. As in, she intended to be as far away as possible when he could move.
 
“Approach.” She knelt beside him, and held out the cup without pressing it to his lips. He narrowed his eyes, then realized she was waiting for him to smell it and approve first. “What is this, miko?”
 
“Chrysanthemum tea.” There were a few dried flowers floating in the liquid, a not unpleasant scent, and he finally nodded. Kagome helped him to sip it, keeping her eyes on the liquid level and watching his jaw and throat carefully for cues, giving him time to swallow.
 
“Enough.” She smiled quickly, and moved away, taking her sword and returning to the fire, where she ate something thick and white…rice porridge, he deduced… dotted with small dark sweet-smelling objects…fruit?..., washing it down with her own cup of tea. The sun inched over the tree line, sending pale streamers across the sky. Sesshomaru was surprised when she stood up, slouched out of her quiver and tunic and dropped them on her cloak, then stepped out into the dawn, tying a bright obi around her waist.
 
Kagome limbered up with a few arm swings and shoulder rolls as she walked into the meadow. Conscious of Sesshomaru's eyes, she grinned to herself. Bet he's never seen this style of kenjutsu before… She bowed her head in meditation for a few moments, then slowly, gracefully, stepped into the movements of the kata, completing the first set with empty hands. Kagome paused only the briefest moment, smoothly drawing her sword, and began the second set of the ancient figures, concentrating on finding the `zen within the zone', as Lord Sessaki had termed it. Yashita called it something more unprintable, but not, the cadets had noticed, when Sessaki was within hearing range.
 
Lord Sessaki had taught them the classical kata, and was a rigid taskmaster on correct forms. Yashita had taught them rough-and-tumble, take-out-your-opponent-first-and-damn-the-style type swordwork that she used all the time, but she was drawn to the elegant movements of the former, probably because it was the closest she came to dancing with a blade.
 
Sesshomaru, for his part, found his eyes growing wider and wider as the girl whirled through the steps, her blade flashing in the pale light. Agitation burned hotter and angrier through his guts with each thrust and lunge Kagome performed. This little bitch…how does she know…she dares…human filth! He was about to roar, to demand she stop…when she did. But it was only the briefest act, while she refocused, crouched, launched…and became a blur. He blinked, his jaw slackening slightly, as the petite woman turned into a whirlwind…and a silvery, shimmering battle aura rose up around her, her katana giving off its own blazing light, sparkling the frost riming the meadow until it looked on fire.
 
Kagome spun through the advanced set of katas, listening to Fenikkusuken sing its wild song. Rationally, she knew it was merely the sound of the blade slicing through the air, but to her it was magnified, refined, and if she did the kata right, a distinctive, violent call to action. She was concentrating on the power pouring into the sword, on her footwork, when she was rudely dragged out of the zone by an enraged bellow.
 
Stop this at ONCE!” Sesshomaru figured he might have torn something; certainly a few things hurt. He was just inhaling for a second shout, when Kagome snapped her head around and glared him into silence, tensing her body as if she was about to spring at him, and she did, indeed, begin to gather herself for a leap. The breath died in his throat; he was fixed in place by her molten silver eyes, as intense and as dangerous as a newly-honed blade, power crackling around her form. Sesshomaru stared, unable to look away, unable to meet the challenge. Kagome actually was in mid-air, her blade rising, when she stopped herself, landing awkwardly, dropping to her knees. She shook her head, blinking, rubbing her eyes, and he watched, fascinated, as her eyes returned to their normal stormy grey, and the filaments of power dissolved like the frost in the sun's rays. He found his voice then, and sent it out to the silent figure glazed by the pearly light of early dawn.
 
What are you?”
 
The girl smiled as she slowly stood up, sheathing her katana, shaking her head occasionally, like something was off-kilter, and he thought that she might not answer; immediately began planning how to force her to give him the information that he wanted…when her voice sounded, soft and self-mocking.
 
“The Phoenix of Legend…or at least, the Legendary Fledgling.” Kagome retrieved her cloak, swung it around her shoulders and dropped down to stare into the fire, ignoring the taiyoukai.
 
“Miko, how do you know those katas?” She heard the menace in his voice, tried to decipher it, decided to ignore it.
 
“It is known as the Imperial style of kenjutsu.”
 
Who taught it to you?” He was growling.
 
“Lord Sessaki, the Emperor's First Sword.”
 
“He is a traitor.”
 
Kagome's head shot up, and she stared at him in shock. “What do you mean?”
 
“That `Imperial style' kenjutsu is the same that my father taught to me…and it is an abomination to see it performed by a human.”
 
Kagome sat, stunned silent, as the underlying current to Sesshomaru's accusation sank in. Maybe she had sensed traces of youkai on Lord Sessaki…then she sat up very straight, her eyes glinting dangerously at Sesshomaru. “Lord Sessaki is no traitor…perhaps, like my armour, the katas were admired and copied. He is the epitome of honour.” And five hundred years away from you, she added mentally. She paused for a moment before continuing. “A word of advice; don't break my battle-trance so abruptly, Sesshomaru…I nearly cut your brother's throat the other day when he did the same.”
 
“You cannot control yourself…what an insult, to train an idiotic, useless…”
 
SHUT UP!” To her, and his own surprise, he did. When Kagome spoke again, it was obvious she was only controlling her voice with an effort. “I only recently learned that I could call up this power on my own, and no, I do not have it under control…yet. In order to defeat Naraku, I must and will do so. Kindly refrain from childish name-calling. It does not become a taiyoukai of your standing.”
 
With that, she gathered up her assorted weapons and tunic, and vanished into the undergrowth. Sesshomaru heard her mare's whinny, and hoof beats steadily moving away. He wondered if he'd successfully driven her away…then realized she'd left too much gear behind. A few minutes later, he felt the tingle of great power being released, repeatedly. Analysis of the rhythm brought understanding that she was pegging arrows at something to relieve her tension, and from the energy signature, she was really upset with him.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Kagome returned an hour or so later, her jaw set firmly, and resolutely not looking at him. She began currying her horse, who placidly chewed mouthfuls of the dry grass as she worked her way around the animal.
 
Sesshomaru simmered quietly, as he mentally sorted out which noble of his father's court could have so blatantly gone over to the humans and begun teaching his family's kenjutsu to the unworthy vermin. The name didn't mean anything, so he must be hiding his true nature…Sesshomaru smiled a very frightening smile as he planned a suitable punishment for the traitor when he was ferreted out. Of course, all the human practitioners of the kata would have to be wiped out…including the one currently giving him the cold shoulder.
 
Abruptly, she tensed, looking off to her left; Sesshomaru strained to pick up whatever it was, and watched Kagome relax just as he caught the scent of the little human girl. She continued brushing Arashi, watching out of the corner of her eye until the dark, messy head peered at her around a bush and ducked back in. Humming quietly, Kagome continued to brush away, ignoring the little girl as she popped in and out of hiding, until she was so far out of cover, that she couldn't dive back in easily. Kagome turned, and was `surprised' to see her. Giving the child a dazzling smile, she said, “Hello, there! Are you the person who has been taking such good care of Sesshomaru-sama?” The demon in question snorted quietly both at the insinuation and the sudden application of his honorific, but only watched as Kagome expertly tamed this small creature.
 
The little girl hopped from foot to foot, as she hesitated between approaching and fleeing the smiling woman who had stopped brushing her pretty horse to speak to her. Kagome crouched until she was at the child's eye level. “My name is Kagome…would you like to share my lunch?” The girl's wide brown eyes lit up, and she nodded enthusiastically. Kagome stood up, and held out her hand. “Come on, then…we need to get cleaned up first.” Cautiously, the hand was taken, and the girl stared up at the oddly-clad woman, who smiled so kindly at her. Kagome took her up to the fire, where the girl smiled shyly at Sesshomaru while she pulled out a towel, some soap and shampoo as well as her fleece jacket, then led the waif down to the stream.
 
The water was damn cold, but the girl hopped right in. Kagome showed her how to lather up the soap, and scrubbed her hair for her. When she was all clean, Kagome dried her off and dressed her in the fleece, which hung down to the little girl's shins. The tattered kosode was washed, and brought back up to dry over the fire. Wrapped in Kagome's cloak, the little girl watched with widening eyes as a strange metal container was filled with hot rice and vegetables, even a little bit of meat, and a cup of tea…and the whole feast deposited in front of her with a pair of chopsticks. She stared from the food to the woman, who had her own bowl and cup, and who encouraged her with a smile and a nod of her head.
 
“The child is mute.”
 
Kagome wouldn't look at him. “I figured that much out myself…she's also half-starved. Little one, are you alone, without anyone to care for you?” The small head bobbed once, as the rice was shovelled in with scarcely a moment for breath. With a chuckle, Kagome reached over and tapped her lightly on hand with the end of her chopsticks. When the girl looked up, she shook her head. “Don't eat so fast; your stomach will be sore…and the food isn't going anywhere, I promise.” A wide smile answered her, and the girl slowed down. Kagome finished her portion, and watched the girl clean her bowl and down every drop of tea, letting out a small but satisfied belch.
 
“Very good, little one…come here a moment.” She held out her hand to the little girl, and when she stood beside her, Kagome led her to Sesshomaru. He watched, wary of her intentions. She knelt beside him, and urged the girl to do the same. “This is Sesshomaru-sama, a very great and powerful youkai…do you know what a youkai is?” The little girl shook her head vigorously. “Youkai means demon; Sesshomaru-sama is an inu-youkai, which means he is a dog demon. You must always show him respect when you are with him. He will not harm you…right, Sesshomaru-sama?” He glared at her, but looked not unkindly at the girl, who beamed at him with a gap-toothed smile.
 
“I will not harm you, child…although the miko might wish to demonstrate the proper form of respect…” Kagome pulled the girl to her feet and lead her away without acknowledging his sarcasm.
 
“Will you help me find some nice juicy grass for my horse? Her name is Arashi…would you like to sit on her back? She's very gentle.” Wide eyes, and a nodded head were her answer, so Kagome lifted the little girl up onto the mare's broad back, and showed her how to grip the mane, then led both of them off along the stream, out of sight of the watching demon.
 
She brought the child back after a while, both of them wearing ridiculous crowns of woven grass and leaves and giggling. The kosode, the sound of which flapping in the breeze had caused him no small measure of irritation, was exchanged for the miko's own clothing, and then Kagome wrapped up a few rice balls and gave them to the girl before sending her on her way. As soon as the child was out of sight, the miko transformed from an ordinary woman back into a warrior before his eyes with a subtle change in stance and alertness level. Swiping off the scruffy crown, swinging her weapons into place, she spared him a short glance before loping off after the girl.
 
Sesshomaru was just wondering where the devil Kagome had disappeared to, when she returned, looking discontented. Wordlessly, she set about renewing the fire, cleaning dishes and setting her little encampment to rights. She was really starting to irritate him…who did she think she was, ignoring the Lord of the Western Lands…nasty little human bitch.
 
“Can you knock off the growling? It's getting on my nerves.”
 
She heard his fury building towards a roar, and chose to ignore it. “You've been working up a fine head of steam since this morning, Sesshomaru, when you found out that a mere human has been practising your private form of kenjutsu since she was sixteen. I'd advise you not to raise your voice too much, because the village that little girl comes from is too close for my liking…and I don't have enough arrows to hold them all off if they decide to indulge in a little taiyoukai extermination.”
 
Sesshomaru shut his mouth with a click of fangs. They remained in silence for the rest of the day. The afternoon was warm enough that Kagome shucked her tunic while she did busy work, cleaning and adjusting the tension on her bow, checking her arrows and refilling her quiver, oiling and cleaning her blade. The fact that Fenikkusuken had taken to purring when she did this was something she preferred not to think about too closely. She moved on to Arashi's tack, cleaning and re-fastening anything that had worked loose. Then, she took herself on a perimeter check, and returned in time to keep the fire going.
 
Just as the light started to fade, and she started thinking about dinner, all hell broke loose.
 
A sudden twanging reverberated through the air, jolting Sesshomaru into a higher level of alert. That was nothing in comparison to the reaction of the miko. One moment she was there, poking the fire…the next, she was simply gone. Sesshomaru blinked, and looked again. The undergrowth swayed from her passage, off to the left, behind his unresponsive body. He strained his ears, and heard the crashing and crackling of an enormous demonic body striking the barrier, the peculiar sensation of what he recognized as spiritual power being let loose, a few choice curses shouted by the miko, the grunting snorts and roars of the oni, a heavy thump…and silence. His anger at her drained away, and he listened hard for the sounds of her return.
 
Kagome did not come back for a very long time. When he finally scented her, she was accompanied by a strong waft of blood and internal organs, but not hers. She crossed the meadow, her arms coated with fluids that he easily recognized by smell, but kept going directly into the stream. He could hear her muttered swearing as she hit the freezing water. Then, he watched her return to where her gear was stored, dig through for similar articles she had used on the child this afternoon, and head back down to the water. More swearing, some of it quite creative, filtered up to him, and then she came back one more time, wearing some odd black covering over her chest and around her hips, to rummage in her bags for more clothing before disappearing into the bushes.
 
When she came out, she was wearing the fuzzy-looking jacket the child had worn after her bath, and a pair of close-fitting hakama in the same material; her hair was loose over her shoulders, hanging down to her waist. Her teeth were chattering quite badly, but she worked to hang up or spread out all of her wet clothing and body armour, then set to drying out and cleaning her weapons. Sesshomaru studied her in the firelight, the soft curves of her face those of a young woman, but the set of her jaw was that of one who faced death, and did so unflinchingly. Unbidden, the image of her rose in his mind, facing him down along the length of an arrow shaft, her eyes as challenging as the words that came out of her mouth.
 
Her hair bronzed in the flickering light, she cleaned, oiled, and tested the edge of her blade, occasionally looking out into the gathering darkness, until she put the kettle on, and went to tend to her horse. When she came back, she wrapped her cloak around her and sat cross-legged, running her fingers slowly through her hair, looking unseeing into the flames. Sesshomaru found himself wanting to say something to her, but did not know how to break the silence that had fallen between them. Suddenly, she reached for her sword, yanked it from its sheath, and stood up, letting her cloak fall. Turning, she stalked into the darkness beyond the firelight.
 
At first he couldn't see easily beyond the glow cast by the fire, but then he caught the glinting of her sword in the moonlight. The darkness of her clothing allowed her to blend into the deeper shadows. He followed the flashing patterns of the blade, realized she was repeating the katas of this morning…trying to find some peace through motion. Whatever evil she had destroyed, the killing of it was eating at her. How many times had he sought the controlled violence possible in the dojo, to contain the fury…Once, twice, three times she repeated the full cycle, and then there came a shout followed by a silence so deep, he could hear her heart pounding from out in the blackness.
 
Minutes passed; the scent of tears was brought to him by the rising mist from the stream. The girl was suffering out there, in the darkness…and for the first time in his two hundred and fifty years, he found he gave a damn and wanted to know why.
 
The girl finally made her way back into the light, her sword carried in a limp hand. Mechanically, she wiped it off, and re-sheathed it with a soft `click', accomplishing all this with those same dead eyes. The kettle was boiled, and she made herself a cup of tea. Her fingers resumed combing through her hair, working out the tangles.
 
“Sit with me, Kagome.”
 
She was more than startled by the sound of his voice, the sudden use of her name and the invitation all in one short sentence; he could see that, but she obliged him, and brought her tea and herself to his side. She sat stiffly and stared past him, back towards the fire, her expression solemn, twirling something silver around her right wrist in a manner that was just continuous enough to annoy him. He was about to say something, anything to get her to stop, when she spoke.
 
“Sometimes I wonder how many children I've killed through my carelessness…that's two that I know of.” He scanned her face; she was still looking very far away, into some dark place only she could see. She shuddered, and brought her hooded grey eyes to meet his, specks of molten silver flickering through them. An odd, dark smile crookedly lifted the corner of her lips, as she unclenched her hand, and held up something between her fingers. He looked at the softly glowing pink shard; she was also regarding it thoughtfully.
 
“When I killed the bear oni, I had to excavate through its guts to find the shard; when I did, I also found the remains of a small child.” She closed her fist around the glowing stone, hiding it from sight. “I wonder how many times children have picked up the pretty, shiny rock to show someone, and were devoured?” He didn't know what to say, the self-accusation in her voice readily apparent; he still was startled by her next words and the hollowness of her tone. “Sometimes I think I am a greater destroyer of innocents than Naraku.”
 
“Why do you continue, miko?”
 
The look Kagome directed at him gave him the distinct impression he'd sprouted a third ear. “It is my duty. I'm sure that is something you can understand, Sesshomaru.”
 
“What are you?”
 
“Again with that question?” Kagome smiled a bit, studying the cup in her hand. “I am a soldier…I follow my orders.”
 
“Who gives you those orders?”
 
This time she grinned impishly, but her eyes remained hard. “The emperor that I serve, of course.”
 
There was a long silence, but she was not yet finished. He flicked his yellow eyes to her face, in time to watch her sigh and slump, fiddling again with the silver bracelet. “I am the reincarnation of the priestess Kikyo; I am Protector of the Jewel. The Shikon Jewel was reborn within my body; the powers of the priestess Midoriko and of the demon she contained give me greater abilities than the ordinary human…”
 
“The Phoenix of Legend.” It was a statement, not an insult, which surprised her as much as his request to sit with him.
 
“Once I learn to `fly', then I'll be the Phoenix…and I have to do it before I face Naraku. Since I managed to destroy the last body he was inhabiting, I have some time to get better…I hope.”
 
“You believe that his death must be at your hands?”
 
She nodded wearily. “I have been reliably informed that it is my destiny. I am the `weapon' that will cleanse this world of his taint.”
 
“Some weapon indeed.” She didn't snap at the bait, much to his disappointment. If he started a verbal scrap with her, maybe her mood would lift…he preferred her sparking and fiery…wait, when did I have a preference? He started to feel annoyed again.
 
“He needs the power of the Jewel to fulfill his own schemes; since I accidentally shattered it, we are now in a race to collect all the shards. There will be a showdown along the line…and that is where Tenseiga, and you, come in.”
 
The taiyoukai snorted. “You expect that I will assist you?”
 
Kagome's grey eyes turned steely. “If Naraku wins, there will be no place for the Lord of the West, either. You will lose everything that you value, Sesshomaru, and possibly your life.”
 
“And just how do you propose to do this, miko?”
 
“You getting senile already?…you can't be a day over three hundred… The power of the blast that shook your father's tomb…that is how it will be done…all three of us, working together.”
 
This time he laughed, a short, humourless bark. “You presume too much, miko…I will never stoop to allying myself with a filthy hanyou and a useless human.”
 
The girl remained silent for a moment, then rose to her feet and walked back to the fire, where she seated herself, her arms wrapped around her knees, her long dark hair falling forward to veil her face. Sesshomaru watched her carefully; she smelled close to tears. Serves her right, he thought, arrogant bitch But she did not cry, instead carefully banking the fire, and arranging herself for sleep, weapons to hand. She turned her head and he found himself looking into dark pools, with the uncomfortable sensation that she had re-assessed him, and he had somehow come up short. He, Sesshomaru, Lord of the Western Lands, was judged and found wanting by a ridiculous human female.
 
Kagome turned away. Her voice was tired, full of the weariness of death and the timbre of sadness for something…for him? Presumptuous creature
 
“You'll be rid of me tomorrow, Sesshomaru…it appears that I badly misjudged your sense of survival, if nothing else.”
 
He exhaled the breath that he had intended to use to blast her for assuming anything about him, instead feeling something odd take over his response as he regarded her huddled form against the tree trunk, those expressive eyes full of darkness. He heard his own voice, once again surprising himself.
 
“Come here, miko…at least if you are closer to me, I have a chance of awakening you in time to witness your undoubtedly puny defence…”
 
Kagome slowly turned her head, those dark eyes regarding him dispassionately. “Me? Sleep within throat-slitting distance of you?” She chuckled quietly. “I'll take my chances over here, thanks.”
 
“Miko…”
 
“Why?”
 
“This Sesshomaru does not need to explain himself…and usually will not.” He caught her startled gaze with his own, and would not let go. “You are fulfilling your duty, and I can… respect that. I am offering my protection to you, as you are exhausted from the fulfillment of that duty…I will not offer again.”
 
Grey and gold clashed, assessed, made a decision, and Kagome rose, gathering her bedroll, cloak and weapons. She arranged them within arm's reach of Sesshomaru and crawled into the bedroll, rolling up her cloak for a pillow, tucking her sword beside her. She flicked her eyes over his impassive features before closing them, noting his scowl.
 
“I only hope that you do not snore as loudly as you did last night, miko.”
 
“After a day like today, you should be so lucky if all I do is snore…my nightmares are not for the easily startled.”
 
He grunted at her light chuckle, and then she was asleep, her breathing regular and deep. Sesshomaru studied her face, at how it softened and relaxed, how her eyelashes fanned across her cheekbones…at how young she looked for all the responsibility she carried. This is too great a load for her shoulders; the gods know my idiot half-brother is incapable of adequately assisting her, he mused, perhaps there should be some reconsideration of her request
 
He shook his head, a rare, wry grin curving his lip. The wretched girl already had him doing something that he never did…second guess himself or his decisions.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
 
A/N: Don't run away screaming…this is not turning into a Sess/Kag fic. Several readers commented on Sessaki's respectful, even affectionate attitude towards Kagome in the present…Sesshomaru's gotta start down that path sometime.