InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Phoenix Blade: Time Lapse ❯ Wolf on the Fold ( Chapter 27 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I don't own anything…All characters are created and owned by Takahashi-sama!
 
A/N: No plot bunnies were harmed in the writing of this chapter…as tempting as it may have been to get my own back on those pesky little varmints …
 
The Phoenix Blade: Time Lapse
Chapter 27: Wolf on the Fold
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Sengoku Jidai
 
Kagome surfaced slowly, in the predawn darkness, surprised to find herself completely prone on the ground and also feeling rather well-rested. Puzzled, she thought about how this came to pass, keeping her eyes closed…and then remembered at a now-familiar growl.
 
“I know that you have awakened, miko…you can stop feigning.”
 
She cracked an eye. “How do you know?”
 
“Your heart rate increased.”
 
“Hm…I'll have to file that away for future reference.”
 
Sesshomaru found himself inspecting her intently. What possessed me to offer her my protection last night? Am I really going to reconsider helping her and my irritating half-brother?
 
Kagome wriggled out of her bedroll, and stretched. She smiled brightly at the glowering taiyoukai. “If anyone had ever told me that I'd sleep like a log this close to you, I would have accused them of having been dropped on their head one too many times…by the way, would fresh blood speed your recovery?”
 
He blinked, startled at the turn in the conversation just when he had a biting retort ready, then collected himself. “Yes, actually…it would.”
 
She flashed him a brilliant smile. “It won't be a stag, or anything suitable to your rank…I'll go check the snares I set yesterday. Back in a bit…” She swiftly rolled up her bedding, donned her weapons, then was gone into the shadows in a swirl of dark hair and green cloak, leaving him more than a little stunned in her change of mood from the previous night. Then his brain kicked into gear. She was hunting for him? Gods, he hoped it wasn't weasel
 
Kagome returned fairly shortly, her boots crunching through the heavy frost that had descended in the night, carrying two rabbits by their hind legs. He couldn't hear any heartbeats from the rabbits, and deduced that she must have wrung their necks. His estimation of her went up a notch. She tossed her cloak over a branch, scooped her knife, a mess tin and a cup out of her jumble of gear, and approached him, seating herself at his side. She hesitated a moment.
 
“Um…how do you want to do this? I was going to drain the blood into the container for you to drink out of…y-you wouldn't prefer to suck it out of them…would you?” Sesshomaru was amused at the thinly-veiled horror colouring her voice, and briefly considered insisting on that method just to entertain himself at her expense. He regretfully opted for the mature approach.
 
“Do it your preferred way, miko…I am a civilized creature.” A badly stifled snort from the girl greeted that claim, and Kagome couldn't look at him. Very civilized, indeed...would you care for a dash of tamari in your morning blood, sir… “Okay, here we go…”
 
Kagome gritted her teeth and sliced the one rabbit's jugular, wincing as she made sure its life blood drained into the waiting mess tin. Faintly thankful that doing this a few dozen times while completing survival training made her less likely to throw up, she gently laid the body down. She stroked its soft fur for a moment, then got on with the business at hand.
 
Hand-feeding a demon. Who'd've thunk it?
 
Sesshomaru was watching her with an unnervingly eager eye; the smell of the fresh blood was stirring his instincts. She transferred a generous amount of the liquid to the cup, and moved closer, holding it to his lips. Kagome concentrated on watching his swallowing cues, rather than looking him in the eye. He drained the vessel, and she poured in more. This was repeated until the mess tin was empty. She paused for a moment, eyes averted while he licked his lips clean.
 
“Thank you, miko.” His voice was deeper, a bit on the gravelly side. Kagome shifted; he picked up her unease. “Yes?”
 
“Er, do you want the meat as well?”
 
“That would be…very much appreciated.” He saw her steel herself and nearly smirked at her next question.
 
“Raw…or cooked?”
 
“Raw would be preferable…what about the other?” Her look was sharp at the almost drooling tone in his voice.
 
“That's breakfast for the little girl and myself…although you're welcome to the blood, I guess…”
 
“That would be more than adequate, miko.”
 
Sighing, Kagome repeated the process for the second unfortunate animal, then took the bloody dishes and the carcasses down to the river to clean them. Sesshomaru watched her keenly, having considered asking her to save him the innards, but thought better of it. She was going outside her comfort zone already, and he found himself not wanting to push it. Why do I even care? he wondered.
 
Kagome stirred the fire into life, sharpened roasting sticks, and set the loaded skewers to cooking. Taking a pair of chopsticks and the bowl she'd prepared for Sesshomaru, she returned to her seat beside him.
 
She wasn't prepared for the slipperiness of the raw meat. The first piece squirted out of the chopsticks like a bar of soap; the second was equally unwilling. She was chasing another piece around the bowl, her frustration surging, when what only could be described as a snort of laughter erupted from the taiyoukai. Startled, she nearly dropped the whole mess into her lap, then had to bite her lips to not giggle insanely herself. Controlling herself with an effort, she grinned at Sesshomaru.
 
“I've heard that in Kyoto, one of the final tests for an apprentice geisha is her ability to eat cubed tofu with polished chopsticks. Maybe I ought to find a geisha to feed you…”
 
“The rabbit would be rather ripe by the time you made it to Kyoto and back…” Sesshomaru's lips curved into a genuine smile that made it all the way to his eyes; he was startled by the girl's reaction. Kagome stilled, then started, colour draining from her face like she'd seen a ghost. He arched his eyebrows at her, concerned with the rapid change in her demeanour.
 
“What is it?”
 
Her hand flew to her mouth; she continued to stare at him, wide-eyed, for long moments. Maybe it was a trick of the light… Finally, she shook herself, and went back to attempting to capture a morsel.
 
“Miko, I asked you a question.” The authority filling his voice was all too familiar. Kagome felt faint, her heart pounding forcefully, her hands shaking.
 
What the freakin' hell…? Just for a moment, he looked exactly like… was that youkai I felt from Lord Sessaki?
I doubt it was his aftershave…
Ohhhh, crapis it possible? Could he possibly be
Don't let your guard down!
But if it is him…
This isn't your Lord Sessaki…remember? `Five hundred years away'?
 
She looked at him out from under her bangs, smiling wryly. “Excuse me, sir…you just rather startlingly reminded me of someone that I know.”
 
“My idiot brother, by any chance?” `Sir'? he questioned mentally.
 
“No…someone else...an officer, actually. You know, Sesshomaru, if you don't have an objection, I'll just use my fingers…I'm a soldier, not a geisha, more's the pity for you.”
 
“You have been highly entertaining in your own right, miko, although not always intentionally…I am forever grateful that you did not attempt to sing.”
 
For that morning, and that one only, a human fed the Lord of the Western Lands his breakfast, one oozing piece at a time. He even graciously thanked her for including the organ meats, but Kagome beat a hasty retreat when it seemed like he might forget himself, and actually want to lick her fingers clean of the last drops of blood. Checking the skewers and turning them, she rinsed the bowl and her hands in the stream, bringing back a kettle of water and setting it to boil, all the while chasing down possibilities racing around her mind at dizzying speed. She forced her brain to work, aware that Sesshomaru was keenly watching her.
 
“Tea, sir?”
 
Again that word. “What is this title you have awarded me, miko?”
 
Kagome jumped. “Uh, sorry…force of habit. The person you reminded me of is my commanding officer…that is how I address him.”
 
“Hm…tea would be acceptable.”
 
She poured the water and let the leaves steep, then carried it to his side with her own. She set his down to cool while stirred hers around. Just as she reached for the cup to give him a sip, she was shocked beyond belief when the previously immobile clawed hand curled around it.
 
His eyes sparking gold with amusement over the cup's rim, Sesshomaru watched the girl bruise herself on a tree trunk as she bolted backwards, her cup flying, a barrier blossoming around her as instinct took over her reactions. They stayed that way for a long moment, fear causing her usual floral scent to become acrid, until the shaking girl spoke. “H-how long, exactly, have you been able to m-move?” He toyed with the idea of seeing how far he could escalate that fear, then decided to be truthful because…well, because she didn't deserve to be afraid at this moment.
 
“Just since this moment, and no earlier…you may relax, miko…at this point, I only can move my hand and arm.”
 
“That pretty much makes you fully loaded, sir, and I'll be moving along.”
 
Kagome was still shaking like a leaf as she backed away from the demon. He cocked an eyebrow at her. “Miko, you have forgotten something…” He indicated the metal container beside his pelt.
 
“S'okay…I'll get it in a bit…” Kagome moved quickly, cleaning up her little campsite, packing up the extra items away neatly trying to calm herself down. He didn't take a swipe at you, so maybe
 
“Calm yourself…I have given you my protection. I will not attack you, as that would not be honourable…even youkai adhere to a `truce' now and again…”
 
She eyed him, before barely squelching the inner voice that was screaming and running in circles. At that moment, the child peeked around the bushes, and scampered towards her, wearing a huge smile…and a badly bruised face. Kagome's jaw dropped, and as she reached for her, the girl handed her a rather small mangled fish, then skipped past her to beam widely at Sesshomaru. The taiyoukai frowned at the visible damage to the girl. “What happened to you, small one?”
 
Kagome recovered quickly from yet another shock of the morning, seeing Sesshomaru taking an interest in a human. Dropping the fish into the fire, she poured some warm water into a mess tin, dug out a piece of Kaede's homespun linen bandage, and came to his side to gently dab at the girl's swollen face, wincing at the bruises darkening her skin. One eye was nearly closed and turning black. Biting her lip, she groped for answers. “Did you catch the fish for Sesshomaru-sama?” Nod, nod, nod. “Did you take it from the hatchery weirs?” Nod, nod. “Did the villagers catch you doing it?” Nod. “Were you beaten for stealing it?” A very forlorn look and a trembling split lip were all Kagome needed to pull the girl into a hug.
 
“It's all right…you did your best for Sesshomaru-sama. I'm sure he is very grateful for your efforts…” She gave him a significant look over the little girl's head. He looked vaguely irritated, but complied.
 
“This Sesshomaru thanks you, little one…I believe your rabbit is well done, miko.”
 
Kagome left the little girl beside the taiyoukai, and returned to the fire. The meat was actually cooked through, but she laid it aside and cracked a couple of ration containers, reheating the rice and vegetables before sliding three of the skewers onto it and bringing the container to the girl, who promptly tucked herself against Sesshomaru's pelt, well within range of his claws. Kagome held her breath as the taiyoukai eyed the child…as dessert? her mind supplied hysterically…and then watched helplessly as the girl beamed like a burst of sunlight and offered him a skewer of rabbit.
 
She nearly fell over when he accepted the offering and actually ate it. The wee one smiled again, and dug in with enthusiasm, pausing her inhalation every once in a while to look up at the demon adoringly. Kagome felt a case of severe hyperventilation coming on, which was stopped in its tracks by Sesshomaru's deep voice.
 
“Do not faint, miko…the truce extends to this child as well.” She exhaled, and started picking at her breakfast, nearly dropping it when he spoke again. “If there is another skewer, I would not say `no' to it, miko.” Feeling rather dazed, she brought one to him, managing not to flinch in front of the child when those dangerous claws came up to take it gently from her fingers. Sesshomaru couldn't help but give her an amused look as she tottered back to her spot by the fire and resumed eating.
 
Then her head flew up, and she fixed him with an accusing look. “You…you…darn it, you could have eaten the whole thing cooked, couldn't you?!”
 
The Lord of the Western Lands found himself smirking. “Of course…I just happen to prefer the taste of rabbit in its raw state, miko…and you did give me the option.” Her grumbling was extremely gratifying, and he allowed himself to enjoy it.
 
The little girl helped her rinse out the dishes and watched intently as she packed everything up into the saddlebags except for three cups and the kettle. Kagome brewed a last pot of tea, and all three solemnly sipped as if they were delegates at a peace conference.
 
“Will you sit with Sesshomaru-sama and keep him company for a minute?” Nod, nod, nod, and Kagome retrieved her battle gear and went off to dress.
 
Sesshomaru was amazed at the transformation the girl could pull off, just by changing outfits. She left as a somewhat insignificant-looking female human, and returned looking rather dangerous. Kagome was fully suited-up, hair braided, weapons in place when she returned. Even though she was half-expecting a caustic comment or two, she was taken off guard again by this demon.
 
“That obi knot is a scandal, miko…you would never get away with that at the fortress.”
 
“I only have to tie my dress obi correctly when the Emperor requires my presence…and then my commander usually does it for me.” She grinned affectionately, thinking of Lord Sessaki's fussing interest in tying that damned knot…then felt her blood freeze when her eyes happened to fall on the damaged obi, or what was left of it, draped over Sesshomaru's tattered hakama.
 
Oh, shit…
You know, that shade of yellow looks way better on him than it does on you
Damn, damned, damnable…
Looks like it's definitely tea at the Palace time.
 
She dragged her attention back to the present, as the small girl finished her tea and helpfully brought the taiyoukai's cup to her as well. Kagome dropped to her knees and hugged her tightly, the small girl returning the embrace. “I'll come and see you again…would you like that?” Nod, nod, nod... and then the girl pointed at Sesshomaru, with a clearly hopeful look on her abused face. Kagome sighed. “Sesshomaru-sama does as he pleases, little one…if he wishes, you may see him again, but only from a distance. He is a powerful taiyoukai, and doesn't often come among mortals.” Unless he's bored and wants to kill something
 
“This Sesshomaru may see the child again.”
 
The little girl smiled even wider at him, and waved before scampering away across the meadow, her bare feet slipping on the heavily-frosted grass. Kagome watched her go, chewing her lip while she decided to ask Kaede if there was room for another foundling in the village…Shippo might be pleased to have a playmate nearer his own age. She quickly saddled Arashi, packed away the cups and kettle in the saddlebags, extinguished the fire and filled in the pit level with the surrounding dirt. As a last touch, she used a branch to smooth away any footprints around the site, but the earth was fairly hard packed anyways. Sesshomaru watched her with mild amusement.
 
“Jaken has little or no sense of smell, so he will not know that I have been accompanied by a human for the past few days. Besides, you now carry a light fragrance of bear oni guts.”
 
“That's good…wouldn't want your reputation to be tarnished. Don't worry…I won't tell Jaken either.”
 
“What about my half-brother?”
 
“If he asks, I won't lie to him. He probably wouldn't be too happy if he found out that I'd been camping out with you…”
 
“Would he hurt you, miko?”
 
“Gee, try not to sound so hopeful…no, but he might feel a little bit betrayed, though, since you're out to kill him, and all.”
 
“And I will kill him, make no mistake about that.”
 
Kagome's voice was velvet over steel, and he blinked in confusion as this girl morphed again before his eyes. “Know this, Sesshomaru… I will not permit either of you to die at each other's hands…or anyone else's, for that matter before Naraku's defeat.”
 
He looked her over thoughtfully, noting the silver sparks in her eyes, before nodding slowly. “Very well; I have been duly warned… As it happens, my retainer approaches…”
 
Kagome grinned evilly. “As much as I'd love to see the little toad fry himself on my barrier, that wouldn't be conducive to you returning home and healing up, so… I had better move out and take it down.” The sun's rays reached over the trees, striking the meadow and lighting up the frost until the glitter was so bright, it was hard on the eyes. Kagome faced him fully, and executed a precise, low, formal bow, before straightening and moving away. She paused on the threshold of the shadows of the copse, backlit by the intense light flooding the meadow, and turned back to him. “I have a favour to ask, Sesshomaru.”
 
“And I may deign to grant it.” He expected her to ask him for the hanyou's life, and was prepared to regretfully disappoint her…regretfully? Where in hell did that come from? ... but she surprised him again.
 
“Do not allow Jaken to harm the child.”
 
“He will not. You have my word.”
 
At that, she smiled as brightly as the little girl had, turned and swung up on her mare, turning the animal to face him. Her sword flashed into her hand, and she gave him a crisp, correct, full-honour salute, before wheeling her horse and cantering off across the meadow, disappearing in almost exactly the same spot as she first emerged three days ago. While he waited for Jaken to bumble his way to him, he felt the underlying hum of the last three days `snap'.
 
He realized, a bit grumpily, that more than one barrier had come down.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Kagome worked her way around the perimeter, retrieving arrows, skirting the large patch of decomposed goo that now marked the spot where she had dispatched the bear oni, and muttered a prayer for the departed child. Mission completed, she decided to pay a visit to the girl's village, to let the headman know that the little one had a cranky-sword-carrying protector, and should be kept safe until she could return to collect her. She allowed Arashi to pick her way forward; the show-off canter across the meadow had been slippery, and she really didn't want to risk the mare's legs.
 
She hoped Sesshomaru had appreciated the equine effort…how was it that she was in possession of a copy of his gold-and-violet obi, hanging on the stand at home along with her official kimono? When she'd arrived at the Palace for the foliage-viewing party, and much to the stifled amusement of the duty guardsmen, Lord Sessaki had cornered her at the gateway to the gardens and rapidly re-tied the enormously-long obi into the same hip-looping style as Sesshomaru sported. How would he know about that? Why am I being outfitted with stuff that seems designed to bring on the questions? If Lord Sessaki is a descendent of Sesshomaru…that would mean somebody changed his opinions on humans rather drastically...
 
Kagome sat bolt upright in the saddle as something occurred to her.
 
Hey…what about that snarling-dog graphic on my motorcycle?
Whoever gave it to you likes dogs?
Maybe whoever gave it to me is related to dog-demons...
That'll be an interesting conversation.
First I have to…wait a minute…you know the answers, don't you?
::whistles innocently::
Grrrr…I guess that asking nicely won't get me anywhere, right?
I have no idea what you're talking about
Right, and the moon is made of green cheese.
::blinks:: It isn't?
Blow it out your hilt. I'll deal with you later.
 
There was way far more to this than met the eye, and she needed to rustle up some answers, fast. Besides that, the obi clashed horribly with her red kimono… She was yanked out of her musings by the not-so-distant sounds of screaming and the undeniable youkai traces of some kind of oni…either a single big one, or lots of smaller, identical ones.
 
“Shit…isogi, girl! Let's go!” The village was in chaos when they arrived on the outskirts. Wolves were tearing into the terrified villagers, who did their best with their farm implements to defend themselves against the superior numbers. Ripping a vaporous Fenikkusuken from its sheath, Kagome hesitated only a moment before driving a very reluctant Arashi right into the middle of the melee. Once in the thick of it, it became very quickly obvious that the wolves had absolutely no interest in the mare, as they ignored some very easy chances to hamstring her, or tear at her belly. Instead, they leaped and snapped at Kagome, trying to bring her down. Her blade was soon dripping red gore, as she spun Arashi on her haunches, clearing the wolves off with continuous arcing sweeps of her katana.
 
Kagome finally glimpsed the little girl, standing off to the side, frozen in horror at the carnage. Kicking Arashi hard, she reined her into a tight turn, knocked away a persistent attacker with her boot, and sent the mare hurtling towards the girl. Tucking her blade under her left arm, she reached out…one chance, one chance, don't miss it, don't fuck up…and grabbed the back of the girl's kosode on the fly, yanking her up off her feet and sending Arashi towards the side of the clearing that she knew led back towards the taiyoukai…and possibly safety. Be there, be there, and remember your promise, you bastard… “Go on! Run to Sesshomaru-sama! He'll protect you…go!” She dropped the girl as gently as she could, and kicked Arashi back into the fight, not looking around to see if she'd escaped, not noticing three wolves taking off in pursuit of the girl, as she was surrounded again and began the deadly business of her own survival.
 
Tetsusaiga!
 
A silver flash bisected several wolves in her path, and a red blur swept a widening space around her. Arashi whinnied, flinching away, gore spattering across her neck. The remainder of the pack paused at the sudden appearance of this new threat, and then like a brown wave, broke away and bolted.
 
“Inuyasha! Awesome timing…!” she called, swinging off the mare and dashing to throw herself at him, being careful of her bloodied sword. He clutched her tightly with one arm, burying his nose in her hair. They pulled back slightly, smiling at each other, and then he ducked in to kiss her warmly.
 
“Missed you, wench…hey, uh… you smell really…um…interesting…”
 
“Bear oni…messy kill…hard to clean up.” She grinned mischievously. “Speaking of water…how was the river?”
 
“Keh! Colder than the first hell…”
 
“Ahem! Greetings, Kagome-sama…was your trip pleasant?” She rolled her eyes and turned to wave to the monk, who looked a little grim as he paced towards them, stepping around the bodies. Kagome felt a surge of guilt at flirting with the hanyou in the midst of all this wanton destruction. I really am losing it
 
“Hello, houshi-doushi…it was, um, eventful. Sango! Good to see you…! Hey, Ship-dip…hi, Kirara.” The fire-cat rumbled as she came up with Sango and Shippo on her back, wrinkling her nose at the smell of blood and wolves.
 
Inuyasha sheathed Tetsusaiga, and dropped his hand onto Kagome's shoulder. “Y'know, it's kind of funny, but I could swear I smelt Sesshomaru in the vicinity…” Kagome stiffened slightly.
 
Tell the truth, girl
You're not the one who's going to get yelled at. Damn
 
She took a deep breath. “You did smell Sesshomaru…I've been guarding him these last few days.” Both Inuyasha's ears and eyebrows snapped upwards, and his mouth dropped open. Before he could blurt out anything that she knew he'd regret saying later on, she hurried on. “I found him on the way back. He was completely incapacitated by the `Wind Scar'…and you may imagine how thrilled he was to have a human presuming to guard him. I felt responsible for making sure he wasn't killed by something when he was already severely weakened. Once he could move this morning, I left.”
 
“Kagome-sama? You were with Sesshomaru-sama?” She turned to glare at the monk, who was looking rather horrified in a calculating sort of way.
 
Damned.
 
“I was protecting him from attack…I wasn't `with him' in any perverted sense, you idiot.”
 
“But Kagome…he's trying to kill Inuyasha!” Shippo's green eyes were wider than she'd ever seen; Sango just looked at her in silence.
 
Damnable.
 
Kagome threw up her hands. “I know he's an arrogant bastard without any redeeming social qualities whatsoever…but the fact remains, I need the Tenseiga to destroy Naraku, and therefore I need him, too. I decided to keep an eye on him for that reason, and that one only…doesn't anyone around here trust my judgement?!”
Claws dug into her shoulder. “Are you insane, woman? `Trust your judgement?' Not after this…I knew I should have gone with you…but… the bastard didn't hurt you?” Not exactly expecting this fairly reasonable response, she turned to look him right in the eyes.
 
“No. He snarled and growled a lot, but that was it. Hey, watch the genuine dragon hide…” His expression made her smile softly, and she reached up to rest her hand on his shoulder. “Sesshomaru took great delight in telling me a few choice tidbits…he can be rather informative when he's pissed off.”
 
“You are one crazy bitch, Kagome.”
 
“Yeah, I know…” She bit her lip, and searched his face, deciding to ignore the `b' word in the interests of peace. “Um…I'm really sorry… if I've upset you, Inuyasha…” He snorted, and flicked her nose with his claw, then pulled her tight against his chest while she grumbled, rubbing the smarting flesh.
 
“Keh! I know we need him, Kagome, that's why I didn't wipe him out the last time…but, hell, wench… you could've been killed!”
 
“If looks could kill, I'd have been toast the second he saw me. I hope I gave him something to think about…and I have another Jewel shard, too.”
 
“Sesshomaru had it?! Are he and Naraku…”
 
“No, no…it came from the bear oni I killed last night.” The darkness hovered for a moment, when she thought of the devoured child, but she pushed it away, resolving to tell them about that aspect later on. “We'd better do something for these people…” Inuyasha released her after a kiss on the forehead, and they joined Miroku and Sango in searching for survivors of the wolf attack, which turned out to be a fruitless exercise. Shippo finally hopped over for a hug. She squeezed him tightly, eliciting an `oof' and a mild complaint, but he stayed on her shoulder as she stooped and turned over bodies, wincing at the damage done by teeth and jaws to unprotected flesh.
 
Well, that went better than you expected.
I'm actually shocked that he was fine with it.
You'll be lucky if he lets you go to the latrine by yourself from now on
There's that…
Aren't you even a little suspicious as to why he's being so reasonable?
Why should I be? He can be mature when he wants to...
Uh-huh
What, exactly, are you getting at?
Shouldn't you check to see if the little girl made it to Sesshomaru?
Don't change the subject…
 
Inuyasha's head shot up. “I don't think we have time to finish this, people…”
 
Off in the distance, a chorus of howling made the hair on the back of their necks stand up. Kagome detected the unmistakeable pulse of a shard coming their way, and extremely fast. “Incoming shards…four o'clock!” She notched an arrow, flamed it, and steadied her aim; Miroku and Sango fell into position with staff and Hiraikotsu. Inuayasha snarled something extremely rude and pulled out the Tetsusaiga. They were all startled by the abrupt appearance of a small tornado whirling towards them, and then by the creator of that tornado making his presence known.
 
A wild-looking demon, attired in pelts and armour, with a long tail snapping angrily behind him.
 
Kagome stared at him…he was so damn familiar…tall, darkly handsome, piercing blue eyes…blue eyes?
 
“You killed my children! I'll never forgive you!” That voice…oh, nonot possible, not possible… she put up her arrow, reabsorbing the energy without noticing while she listened so intently her ears ached.
 
“Ya mangy wolf…your `children' have lousy manners. How many humans have they killed?!”
 
“Humans are their prey…they were minding their own business, you damned insolent puppy!”
 
“Insolent puppy?! Why, you…”
 
“Feh! The stink of dog surrounds you, puppy…why don't you go chase sticks or something?”
 
“Wanna try chasing my sword, wolf-shit?”
 
“I don't have time to play with you, puppy…I'm gonna kill you to revenge my darlings!” The wolf demon became a blur, leaping over Inuyasha's head, and as the hanyou swung, he took advantage of an opening, and kicked him solidly in the face, sending him to the ground. Inuyasha was slightly dazed from the force of the kick, but sprang to his feet, his face turning an interesting shade of red.
 
Kagome's brain and voice kicked into gear. “Inuyasha! Watch out! He has Jewel shards in both legs and his right arm!”
 
“Dammit, wench…why didn't you say so before?” he snapped at her. “I was impressed by your speed, runt, but now I see that you're actually pretty wimpy…” Kagome was more unnerved by the intensely appraising look the blue-eyed demon directed at her than annoyed by the heated tone of Inuyasha's voice.
 
“That's a fine-looking bitch you have there, puppy…she'd be a welcome addition to my pack …”
 
He made as if to take a step towards Kagome, and the Tetsusaiga struck him broadside, knocking him backwards. He got up, wiping a trickle of blood from his lip where a fang had pierced his skin. “Not bad, puppy…but I really don't have time for this…so you'll just have to die…” He raced towards the hanyou, who squared up, eyes burning intently.
 
“He's going to use the Wind Scar…let's move back a bit, shall we?” Miroku tugged Sango by her elbow; Kagome remained motionless, unable to tear her eyes away from the demon that was so familiar, yet unfamiliar at the same time. As Inuyasha swung, the wolf seemed to sense something was wrong, and veered sharply, then sprang high in the air. The hanyou was unable to correct his swing, and by the time he brought the blade under control, the demon had landed in front of Kagome.
 
The world froze, as she stared at the familiar shape and form of her favourite sensei. “Lord Kogash-?”
 
He grinned a very toothy, very wolfish grin. “Pleased to meet you, too, princess.”
 
Then all the lights went out, as his fist connected solidly to her jaw.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Sango shouted and threw Hiraikotsu as the wolf demon slung the limp girl over his shoulder, the arrows spilling out of her quiver and her bow dropping to the ground. Inuyasha reacted with an infuriated roar and a burst of speed. The demon grinned, showing his fangs. “Too little, too late…I'll look after your bitch, puppy, but don't expect her back in the same condition you gave her to me…” He easily dodged out of both the Hiraikotsu and the Tetsusaiga's paths, and spat at Inuyasha on the way past. “Remember my name…I am Koga, prince of the wolf demon tribe. Thanks for the gift…” and he was gone, vanished in a dusty tornado.
 
“Kagome-sama! Inuyasha, what are we going to do?”
 
“Hunt the bastard down and gut him, of course…let's go!” The hanyou became a red and silver blur as he tore off after the whirlwind.
 
Sango stooped to pick up Kagome's silver-mounted bow and the scattered arrows. She noticed Arashi, cropping grass placidly at the edge of the clearing, Kirara sitting on her saddle and mewing plaintively. “What are we going to do about Arashi? She can't travel as fast as Kirara…”
 
“Get Shippo-kun to take her back to Kaede's…uh, Sango-sama…where is Shippo-kun?” A quick visual check indicated that the kit was nowhere to be found. Miroku sighed. “We can't leave her here…I guess that I will have to avail myself of her equine charms…”
 
“Leave the creature to me.” They both froze at the cool tones, and slowly turned to see Sesshomaru glowing against the dark forest. The taiyoukai favoured them with an icy look. “If you have any inclination to rescue the miko, I suggest you move on your way, as the wolf demon tribe is well-known for its predilection for human flesh. I will take responsibility for making sure the mare is returned.”
 
Miroku made his voice work. “Forgive my impertinence, Sesshomaru-sama…but why are you assisting us?”
 
“The miko does not deserve the fate that surely awaits her at the hands of those despicable creatures.”
 
Miroku noted that the taiyoukai was looking a little more rumpled than usual; his usually immaculate appearance was definitely the worse for wear, and his armour was beyond repair. He realized that Sesshomaru must feel somewhat obliged to Kagome for her care, so was offering to clear the slate by taking on Arashi. But, Miroku being Miroku, he also wondered if Kagome had done anything else for the taiyoukai…
 
Now that she was over the shock of Sesshomaru's appearance, Sango's brain was turning over. “If we headed due east, would that bring us to the wolf's den?”
 
“No. Their holdings lie to the north…I believe this particular whelp's clan resides on the eastern side of the mountainous region.”
 
Sango bowed deeply to the taiyoukai. “Thank you very much, Sesshomaru-sama. Kirara!” The fire-cat bounded to her side, and Sango scrambled onto her back, holding out her hand to Miroku, who also bowed to Sesshomaru before swinging aboard.
 
“Our deepest thanks, Sesshomaru-sama…for Kagome-sama's life.” Kirara roared, and became airborne, speeding off in the direction Sesshomaru had indicated.
 
The taiyoukai watched them go, then turned slightly as a grumbling Jaken puffed up behind him, followed by two impassive spear-carrying demons, one of whom was burdened with the unconscious child, and the other leading the securely muzzled two-headed tenbaryu. “Jaken…you will take the horse back to my wretched brother's village.”
 
“Sesshomaru-sama? Me? Ride a common animal? To…to your… brother's village?”
 
“I will await you at the fortress. Do not disappoint me by failing.”
 
Arashi refused to hold still for the toad, dancing nervously about and making him hop and squawk in frustration. Sesshomaru finally had to step in, extending his youkai to `freeze' the animal, and then jerked his head at one of the studiously solemn guards, who stepped forward to lift the spluttering toad youkai to the saddle. “It is two day's ride to the village; Ah-Un will meet you there. Do not take overlong, Jaken…I expect that you will see this through. I have given my word.”
 
Jaken gulped as the mare shifted uneasily, but he straightened and rapped her smartly on the rump with his staff. Arashi reared slightly, and took off at a dead run, trying to escape the powerful scent of youkai. Jaken abandoned his aloof stance, and clung to the pommel, screeching, as they disappeared from sight. Sesshomaru turned back to the silent guards, whose eyes were dancing in delight at the toad's discomfiture. He pointed a long finger at one of them. “Ieji…” The other one, carrying the girl, stepped forward. Sesshomaru minutely shook his head in irritation. “Ita…follow the mare and make sure nothing happens to Jaken…and that he does nothing to injure the creature.”
 
“Hai, my lord.” Saluting with his spear, the other demon set off at a ground-covering lope, as he quickly vanished in the direction taken by the mare.
 
“Ieji…mount Ah-Un and prepare to depart. The girl is in your charge until you deliver her to Momiji-san. Ah-Un, you will permit these passengers.” Both heads grunted, as the second of the almost-twin guards moved with alacrity to slide onto the tenbaryu's back. The girl stirred.
 
“My lord? The child awakens…” Sesshomaru came to stand where she could see him, as she opened her great, dark eyes again, and looked at him with such an open expression of trust that he couldn't help but be moved…a tiny, glacial bit, of course, but he was moved just the same. Ieji held his breath. He had already witnessed a number of amazing things today, including his lord not only chasing away the wolves that had killed the girl, but also using Tenseiga to revive her.
 
“Sesshomaru…sama…” Her voice was wispy and faint, as if it hadn't been used in a long, long time.
 
“What is your name, little one?” Ieji kept his face completely void of response, although he was deeply surprised by the gentle tone in his lord's usually tightly-controlled voice.
 
“Rin,” came the soft, low answer.
 
“This is Ieji…he will look after you until we reach my home. Understood?”
 
A very faint, but definitely warm smile was his response. “Hai…Sesshomaru-sama…Rin understands.”
 
“Let us depart.”
 
The tall taiyoukai turned, and gathering his youkai into his travelling cloud, lifted off. Ieji took Ah-Un's reins a little tighter in his clawed hands, settled the girl more securely onto his lap, and held on as the temperamental tenbaryu surged after its master. He was really looking forward to going off-duty…the guardroom would buy him at least a couple of rounds once word got around about this newest addition to the fortress…
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Far away, Ita grinned to himself as he caught up with Jaken being bounced like a barrel of rice all over the saddle. Having been whacked with the toad youkai's staff on more than one occasion, he found himself appreciating the animal's efforts to dislodge her unlikely rider. Coming abreast of her with a burst of speed, he gripped the reins and brought her to a circling halt, her sides quivering and the whites of her eyes showing.
 
“Hush, girl, hush…no one is going to eat you…Jaken-sama, are you all right?”
 
“Of course I'm all right, you fool…miserable beast...” The toad continued grumbling as he straightened his hat and smoothed his rumpled robe. Ita hid a smile while rubbing the horse's neck and making soothing noises. The mare turned her head to observe him closely, then slowly reached to nibble at the sleeve of his leather armour. Cautiously petting her velvet muzzle, he was pleased when she bunted his arm and whickered. His communing with the creature was rudely interrupted by a sharp whack on the head. He snapped his attention to the glowering toad youkai wielding the staff. “Move this beast along, guardsman…we don't have all day.”
 
“Hai, Jaken-sama…come along, ashige…let's take you home.”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
A/N: Tenbaryu is a word I cobbled together…means `heavenly/flying horse-dragon'…I mean, what exactly is Ah-Un?. Looks like an experiment in the breeding stables got a little out of control, species-wise.
 
Ashige means `grey horse'…it was Arashi's original name.