InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Phoenix Blade: Time Lapse ❯ A Wolfish Grin ( Chapter 28 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I don't own anything…All characters are created and owned by Takahashi-sama!
 
A/N: Trust me, Kagome'll get her own back on Koga, big time! Coarse language alert…those boys just don't know how to play nice.
 
The Phoenix Blade: Time Lapse
Chapter 28: A Wolfish Grin
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Sengoku Jidai
Later the same day as the wolf attack on the village
 
The first thing Kagome noticed was the smell. Unwashed bodies, rancid meat…it was all she could do not to choke and give herself away. As soon as she regained a modicum of awareness, she remembered Sesshomaru's comment regarding her heart rate, and did her best to keep it slow and even. The heck with that…she surrounded herself with a spectacular barrier, and sat up.
 
She immediately flopped back down, because the change in position brought on the mother of all headaches, sparks exploding inside her head.
 
Ouch…did anyone get the number of the bus that hit me?
The Big Bad Wolf Special, apparently.
My jaw is killing me…I can't believe I let him drop me like that…
Well, you can always entertain yourself by thinking up appropriate methods of revenge that involve sharp, pointy objects
Like a fully-automatic crossbow with several clips of razor-tipped hunting bolts…
Or the business end of the Tetsusaiga
Screw that. The business end of Fenikkusuken. I might not share the fun with dog-boy, unless he asks really nicely…
Pay attention then, because your charming host approaches
 
Through the pink haze of her barrier, Kagome watched the wolf prince swagger towards her, kicking aside whichever of his underlings happened to be in the way. He moves just like Lord Kogashu…same attitude…same grin…another ancestor? I've never sensed youkai on him, though…How long do youkai live, anyways? A very tiny, low-wattage light bulb clicked on in the back of Kagome's brain. Omigod…is it possible? Oh, man
 
“What's the matter, princess? Our wild, untamed scent too much for your dainty nose?”
 
Kagome wrinkled said nose at him, while she forcibly got herself under control. “Bathing doesn't give you colds, you know…and when you're covered in fur and living in a confined space, it's highly recommended.”
 
He smirked, and brought his hand out from behind him. Kagome yelped and sat up, despite her pounding head. A thoroughly terrified Shippo hung by his brush. “Kagoooomeeee!”
 
Kagome dropped the barrier, and held out her arms. “Give me my kit.”
 
Koga held the frantic Shippo farther away. “Uh-uh, princess, first we negotiate the price for this small, defenceless, helpless fox-brat's life. My wolves were rudely interrupted during their last feeding session, and they're still a bit hungry…”
 
“Give me the kit first, wolfling, and we'll see about negotiating a deal.” Kagome's eyes flashed silver, and ghostly ribbons of power began to writhe around her form. The demon watched her warily, then capitulated with a display of bravado.
 
“Wolfling, eh…you're a brave one, I'll give you that, princess. Here…he'd only be good for cleaning my teeth, so he's not really worth my time to even skin.” Shippo was unceremoniously tossed into her lap, and she hugged him tight; the barrier burst back into existence with a crackle. The demon eyed it, but then seated himself and pressed an experimental fingertip against it. The resulting explosion of sparks was impressive enough to move back the crowd to a safe distance. He nodded thoughtfully, examining the scorched flesh as it healed.
 
“Spiritual power…high levels of it, too…is that how you can see my Jewel shards, princess?”
 
She gave him an intent look, struggling to overlay this dangerous, man-eating youkai over the image of her kindly sensei. “What? You need a shard detector, too?”
 
“As a matter of fact, I do, princess…what's your name? I think you missed my introduction to your former companions…I am Koga, prince of the eastern wolf demon clan.”
 
Koga…Koga-shu…oh, shit-eroo. How am I going to get out of this?
 
“Your method of `inviting' a guest to your cave could use a little finesse, wolfling…my name is Kagome. What do you want?”
 
“Why is a miko caring for a kitsune child?”
 
“He was orphaned and I've been looking after him ever since. Demon blood doesn't mean anything to me…I judge by actions, not heredity.” Shippo snuffled, and clung tighter, shivering. She stroked his hair and smiled reassuringly down at him.
 
Koga arched a dark eyebrow. “You don't smell mated; why do you stick with that puppy?”
 
Kagome glowered at him. “We have a common goal.”
 
“Which is…?”
 
“The destruction of a demon called Naraku. I am the Protector of the Jewel, and it is my responsibility to gather all the shards…including the ones currently in your body. Don't suppose you'd like to hand them over?”
 
He laughed, quite uproariously, until the whole cave resounded with laughter and howls from the pack. Snapping his fingers, he shut it off like a switch. “No.”
 
“Didn't think so, but it never hurts to ask…Inuyasha will probably be more than happy to remove them the hard way, anyhow.”
 
“That whelp? Don't make me laugh…again.”
 
“Don't underestimate him…what do you want? If I'm supposed to be the main course for tonight's meal, I'll warn you that I won't go down easily…” She noticed the slavering increased among the front ranks of the intently watching demons.
 
“Oh, you're not on the dinner menu, princess…in return for your kit, I want you to detect a Jewel shard for me.”
 
Kagome eyed him carefully, before slowly nodding. “All right…what happens after that?” She decided she really didn't like the grin that spread across his face, showing all his fangs as he stood up.
 
“We'll discuss that later…right now, I'll go hunting for you. Wouldn't want anyone to say that I don't look after my guests properly…all right, you mangy mutts! No one lays a finger on the girl…she's mine. Is that clear?” There was a definitely disappointed rumble, and the pack dispersed, throwing black looks over their assorted humanoid and canine shoulders.
 
“Kagome…that wolf scares me.”
 
“He scares me too, Ship-dip, but don't worry…we'll get out of this.”
 
“I scattered toadstool-messenger spores on the way here; they should be sprouting really soon,” he whispered directly in her ear, conscious of the glowering wolves.
 
“Good job!” she whispered back, ruffling his ponytail. “Then we'll just sit tight until Inuyasha shows up.”
 
The kit hesitated, biting his trembling lip. “Kagome, you really weren't helping Sesshomaru…were you?”
 
“Yes, I was, Shippo.”
 
“But…but he's…”
 
“Bad-tempered, dangerous and nasty? I know. He can also be surprisingly nice…he was actually polite to a little human girl that brought him food.”
 
Shippo's eyes were big and round, and then they narrowed into a glare. “You're pulling my leg, Kagome…no way Sesshomaru would ever be nice to a human!”
 
“Hard to believe, but he was. He was also kind…in his own way…to me when I was really upset after I killed the bear oni last night…there's more to him than meets the eye. I hope so, since I still have to get him to agree to help us against Naraku.”
 
“Maybe he likes you, Kagome…”
 
“Oh, he loves me…about as much as a fang-ache. Heads up…”
 
A rather large and rather dead wild pig thumped onto the cave floor in front of them. Kagome pursed her lips thoughtfully at it, then looked up at the cocky wolf prince that delivered it. Shippo scuttled over her shoulder and peered out from behind her.
 
“There ya go, princess…eat up! We move out at sundown.”
 
“Uh, thanks, wolfling, but I'm not into trichinosis.” He cocked his head on the side, blue eyes calculating, then dropped down to sitting while he looked her over carefully. Kagome calmly met him look for look. She was very surprised when he hooked her sword from under a nearby pile of ratty furs, using his own katana to nudge it over to her, but she recovered quickly enough to yank it towards her, the barrier shredding. Her empty quiver landed on her lap. She looked at him, eyes questioning.
 
“Goodwill gestures, princess…that sword of yours packs a nasty bite, by the way.”
 
Kagome made a show of scratching her blade under the hilt and cooing at it. “Did my good boy zap the naughty wolf? Give him another one if he gets too close…”
 
Koga watched her, curiosity practically radiating off his form. “How can a human carry a demonic weapon?”
 
She smiled archly, while laying Fenikkusuken across her lap. “You're assuming that I'm human…”
 
He snorted. “You smell totally human…at least the part of you that doesn't stink like dog… or bear guts. These weapons are well-used, so you obviously aren't some pampered little bitch carrying them around for show.”
 
“I'm pretty good with them…my specialty is purifying obnoxious demons.”
 
He ignored the insult. “Then you'll really enjoy the task ahead…we're currently battling a tribe of harpies, whose leader possesses a Jewel shard. They've decimated our tribe, and we're pretty much confined to this cave. I need you to help me locate the leader and then I'll do the rest.”
 
“Okay…and after that?”
 
His grin became positively feral. “If you're not mated, then you're up for grabs…and I could use a mate with power like yours…”
 
“Dream big, wolfling. I've already got someone lined up who's too much to handle...”
 
“Well, then…the puppy just has to die.”
 
Kagome snorted. “Don't underestimate him, unless you particularly enjoy pain… I suppose you have some plan for using me to collect the shards so that your tribe will be invincible?”
 
“Smart as well as beautiful…I'm finding you more and more attractive all the time…” He boldly reached a clawed hand towards her cheek; she scooted backwards, and flamed her fingertips, giving him a death glare.
 
“Touch me without my consent, and I'll purify whichever part of you is making the contact…do I make myself perfectly clear?”
 
Koga smirked, eyeing the power dancing and crackling in her hand. “Loud and clear, princess…damn, but you're my kind of woman! Brave, loyal, powerful…and beautiful. The dog-turd's days are numbered!”
 
“What makes you so sure I'd accept you if you killed him?” Kagome was actually quite curious as to the answer, as she extinguished the flames in her fist.
 
“Law of the wild…to the victor go the spoils.”
 
“If you somehow manage to kill Inuyasha…which I totally doubt…I won't be the prize, wolfling.” I'll be dead, too
 
“You won't be able to resist my charms…I'm considered quite a catch, you know.”
 
“By who? Besides another wolf with bad eyesight and no sense of smell?”
 
“You'd be amazed at the offers I've had…”
 
“I'll bet…can we get back to discussing this `harpy' tribe? What kinds of weapons do they use?”
 
Koga blinked, and re-directed himself with an effort. “No weapons, except teeth, claws and size. They're sort of a composite demon…no idea how they developed. Fat feathered balls with a humanoid torso and head riding on top. We've lost too many to them...”
 
“I'm a sucker for a good fight, so if you find me a decent bow and some arrows, I'll help you a little more actively than just detect which critter has the shard you're after.” Shippo squeaked in protest; she shushed him.
 
“Really? How do I know that you won't put an arrow in my back?”
 
Kagome fluttered her eyelashes at him a little too innocently. “You'll just have to trust me, won't you?”
 
He gave her a very old look. “Actually, I think if your kit is my hostage, I won't have too much to worry about.” Shippo ducked down behind her back, quivering. Kagome reached around and patted him, while observing the wolf prince thoughtfully.
 
“Touche. Find me some ammo, and my power is yours to command.”
 
“Anything else of yours on offer, princess?” he inquired, waggling his eyebrows suggestively.
 
Kagome rolled her eyes. “Wouldn't be registering for gifts just yet, wolfling…” Her attention was caught by a demon entering the cave, carrying an armload of spotted red and white fungus, and chewing with his mouth open. Shippo emitted a sharp cry when he spotted them, and slumped down in defeat. Kagome knew that these had to be his toadstools, and that at least part of the trail was gone. She pulled him into her lap, and cuddled him. “S'okay, Ship-dip…he'll find us. Hey, any chance those toadstools are poisonous?”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Sango and Miroku watched as Inuyasha paced in a pattern, sniffing intently. Kirara was at his side, her nose and whiskers getting a workout.
 
“Damn! It's like the bastard just disappeared!”
 
“He is notably quick, Inuyasha…perhaps he became airborne for a brief distance.”
 
“I'm allowing for that, houshi…and still nothing! Dammit, this is really starting to piss me off…”
 
Sango ran her hand over the mossy bank she was leaning against, and looked up at the late morning sky. Hard to believe that they had only found Kagome an hour or so ago, and lost her again so quickly…and never mind the meeting with Lord Sesshomaru. Sighing, she brought her attention back to the frustrated hanyou, who was moving farther a field. “Inuyasha, perhaps we should try more to the north…I understand that this particular pack may reside on the eastern side of the north mountains.”
 
His head shot up. “How do you know that?”
 
Some instinct warned her not to mention his brother; she jabbed the monk just as he opened his mouth. “My father once told me something of the wolf demons, and Koga's name rang a bit of a bell...” She crossed her fingers behind her back. “It's worth a try, anyways…”
 
A tiny little voice squeaking “Waaaah!” caught her attention, and she turned quickly. A white and red toadstool, so colourful that it couldn't be natural, now stood in the centre of the sheet of moss she had been touching. As she looked, a slit opened in the cap, and another wail was emitted. Miroku came up behind her.
 
“That is rather unusual, isn't it Sango-sama? Here, let me have a closer look…”
 
Inuyasha didn't turn around as a loud slap echoed around the clearing. Damn houshi; think he'd learn… he kept sniffing, even checking the tree trunks. That wolf smelled so bad, he ought to be easy to track… Miroku wobbled up beside him, sporting a rather impressive red mark on his cheek.
 
“I adore that woman…turn your energies to tracking these unusual toadstools, Inuyasha. I am sure that they are one of Shippo-kun's many tricks.” He held up the crying fungus in front of the hanyou's nose, who raised an eyebrow, but sniffed anyways.
 
“Yep, they belong to the runt, all right…hey, there's another one! Good job, Shippo…they'll lead us right to the den!” Kirara gave Miroku a narrow look, and stalked over to a glowering Sango. Both females put their noses in the air and snorted. He sighed.
 
“Forgive me, sama. I forgot myself…”
 
“Watch it, monk, or I might `forget' that Kirara has accepted you as a passenger, and knock you off when we're at altitude…”
 
Miroku waved his hands. “I will endeavour to behave…” He hastily amended that at the scorching look both delivered in his direction. “I will behave, sama…and Kirara. Kagome-sama's life is more important than my own indulgences…”
 
“Then stow it, monk, and hurry up. Inuyasha's way out in front.”
 
“Yes, ma'am!” He faltered at Kirara's growl, but she turned her head away in apparent disdain, so he quickly slid onto her back, using his staff around Sango's waist instead of his hands to remain seated when the fire-cat took off. It was worth it, Buddha forgive me…he thought, his eyes straying again to the curve of her hip below his arm. As if sensing his thoughts, Kirara joggled him slightly and he heard a distinct growl. Miroku set himself to locating the hanyou in the foliage below, as that was a considerably safer thing to be doing.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Sitting on what she now realized were Koga's personal sleeping furs, Kagome was trying not to think about fleas, or anything else, while sighting down a couple of dozen arrows that the wolves had collected for her, discarding those that were too bent or in too poor of a shape to be used. The bow, at least, was decent, but she had some doubts about the condition of the string. Fenikkusuken was grumbling against her leg; she patted it absently while critically examining a startlingly poor example of fletching. She looked up as Koga approached, a satisfied smirk plastered all over his face. “Which canary did you eat?” she asked, beginning to fill her quiver with the arrows that passed muster.
 
He blinked. “Canary?”
 
She waved her hand. “Forget it. Is it time?”
 
Koga held out his hand to her. Without thinking, she took it, and allowed him to pull her upright. Grinning even more broadly, he brought her hand up to his lips and kissed her knuckles, watching her reaction. She snarled at him, and snatched her hand back, while he laughed. “I love your attitude, princess…another reason why I'm going to make you mine after I get rid of that puppy.”
 
Kagome sighed heavily. “Can we just get on with it? I like to see what I'm shooting at…it improves my scores.”
 
“As you wish, princess…brat, you stay here.”
 
Kagome scooped the kit against her. “He comes with us…that way I know he hasn't been turned into a snack by your compatriots. Besides, if you manage to follow through with your threat to mate me, then he qualifies as your first born…” She nearly snickered at the look on the wolf demon's face, but managed to turn it into a cough.
 
Shippo had to submit to being tied up, and then a scruffy-looking youkai took charge of him, looking glum at the prospect of having to play nursemaid to the kitsune. Kagome fixed him with a glare. “If anything happens to my kit, you'll answer to me, buddy…and I won't be in a good mood!” The demon straightened up immediately, and tried to look alert. Koga biffed him.
 
“That's your first command from the new alpha female of our tribe, Iku. I wouldn't mess up if I were you.” Kagome shook her head, and turned to follow Koga, but was stopped by a loud sniffle from Shippo. She smiled gently and kissed his cheek.
 
“Don't worry, Shippo. Hey, we're getting out of this smelly cave, so things are looking up!”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
The early winter sky was darkening as the wolf demon tribe moved up higher into the mountains, the craggy peaks glowing palely in the setting sun's weak rays. Kagome stayed at Koga's heels, analyzing the terrain and wondering at the definite demonic aura that covered the area. Underfoot, the rock was jagged, and showed signs of being the type that broke off at the slightest touch, like schist. The wolves, four legged and two legged alike, moved silently across the uneven footing. The humanoid ones were armed to the canines with an assortment of spears, long-handled battle-axes, pikes and scythe-like weapons, as well as some interesting hooked blades with long chains attached to the handles. They all looked very predatory…Kagome was glad that they weren't hunting her.
 
At the edge of a broad plateau littered with large chunks of rock, Koga halted, but gestured the rest of the wolves to find positions among the tumbled landscape. He cocked his head on the side, listening intently. Kagome paused at his side, and waved to Shippo as he and his guard disappeared into the rocks.
 
“They've sensed us…ready to do some detecting, princess?”
 
“None of these have any shards…ack!” She squeaked as a muscular arm snaked around her waist and yanked her tightly against his armoured side. Koga smirked down at her, vivid blue eyes dancing.
 
“Well, then, we'll just have to pay a visit to the nest. Find something to hold on to, princess…above the waist, preferably.”
 
Kagome gave him a dirty look, then slid her arm behind his back, taking a firm grip on the furry shoulder guard of his armour. His grin became even wider. “Hm…I could really appreciate fighting this way, princess…”
 
“Get your mind on the matter at hand, or you'll be dinner for these uglies, and I have no intention of being dessert.” He complied, but with a rather saucy glint in his eye. Kagome punched him in the breastplate and pointed upwards. “Company's coming…”
 
Koga grunted at the dark, ungainly shapes swooping down on them. “I'm expecting you mutts to take down the lesser harpies…I'm concentrating on the leader. Good luck!” A ragged chorus of howls greeted his words, and then he tensed, his arm tightening around Kagome until she was uncomfortably squeezed. “Hang on, princess…we're going in!”
 
If Kagome had ever thought Inuyasha was fast, he didn't hold a candle to a shard-powered Koga. He was able to race up the nearly vertical cliff face; Kagome swore his toes were barely gripping the rocky surface. She yelled as a harpy swooped at them; she got a very good, close up look at the demon just before Koga smashed its skull open with his shard-enhanced fist.
 
They were really ugly. Flying balls of feathers with huge teeth, vacant staring eyes and giant talons, but the worst part was the humanoid torso which had arms ending in more talons, and a head complete with fangs, pointy ears and cat's slit eyes. Kagome spared a brief thought regarding what kind of breeding catastrophe brought about the creation of this nightmare. “Which head controls the body?” she shouted above the rush of wind.
 
“The humanoid ones on top…doesn't really matter, because if you kill one of the pair, the whole thing dies. We're closing in on the leader's nest, Kagome…are you picking anything up yet?”
 
“Nice that you remember my name, Koga…wait…the shard is inside the mountain, right in front…look out!” With a deafening crunching sound, the rock face under Koga's feet crumbled and gave way, and a truly enormous creature muscled its way out, huge wingtips carving gashes in the mountain that sent a considerable avalanche of loosened rocks cascading down onto the plateau below. Kagome was struck momentarily speechless. The leader was more than three times the size of the other harpies, and sported two humanoid torsos on its head. All three mouths were open wide, but only the top two were cackling evilly.
 
Spawn of the wolf demon clan…we've been waiting for you to deliver your shards to us!
 
Koga landed them on a ledge, and pressed Kagome against the rock, protecting her with his body. “Where's its shard?!” he shouted in her ear. She squinted, blinking against the dust swirling in the air from the concussion of its wing beats.
 
“Damn! In its mouth! Right in the back, Koga!”
 
“Shit!” The wolf demon muttered. “Hold on Kagome…I'm taking evasive action!” She screeched as he swung them both around, and dropped them into space to avoid an open-mouthed lunge by the huge harpy. More rocks clattered and slid down the face past them, as Koga controlled their descent by nimbly bounding from toehold to toehold, until he landed among the settling rocks and bodies of quite a few harpies already felled by the rest of the pack. Letting go of Kagome, he shoved her towards two rather scraggy-looking demons, one with a broad black stripe in his otherwise white hair, and the other sporting a spiky white crest. “Ginta! Hakkaku! I'm making you personally responsible for my woman's safety…don't screw up, or I'll gut you slowly and painfully. Understood?”
 
Both bobbed their heads vigorously, and Koga grabbed a spear before taking off in a blur. Kagome glanced at her watchers. I could do without the `help' she thought, and was unprepared for them each gripping an arm and tugging her backwards. “Hey! What gives?” she yelped, and dug in her heels.
 
“Hurry, sister…you need to take cover, or you'll become a target…”
 
She stared at the demon, wide-eyed. “Sister? No offense, guys, but I've already got a brother, and don't really want any more.”
 
“You are Koga's woman, so…”
 
“Oh, give it a rest…I already have one bad-tempered canine barking at me, and it isn't Koga…but thanks for the kind thoughts, guys. Leggo my arms, and I can defend myself…Whooooaaa!”
 
While they were arguing, a harpy swooped in on them from the rear. Black-stripe let go of her, and jabbed viciously upward with the spear he was carrying, nailing the harpy in the cheek. Unfortunately, he was seized by a clawed foot and dragged upward into the air. Spiky-crest let out a despairing shout. “He'll be devoured…!”
 
“Not if I can help it!” Kagome wrenched her arm free of his grasp, yanked the borrowed bow and an arrow out of her quiver, and lined up a shot, the arrow crackling with power. She let the missile go, and watched in satisfaction as she blew the harpy's wing off, and it plummeted back to earth not far from where she and Spiky-crest were standing. Black-stripe wobbled to his feet; Kagome was glad he hadn't been crushed by the huge body, because that wouldn't have been a nice way to say `thank you' to somebody who was risking his life defending you. “Hey! You okay?”
 
“Thank you, sister…that was very fine shooting, indeed. I am honoured…”
 
She grinned, and reached out to ruffle his black stripe. “Forget it. Now, let's have us a little target practise, okay boys? You watch my back, and I'll try out this bow a few more times…”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Inuyasha halted dead in his tracks, as another brilliant flare lit up the evening sky from the rocky terrain dead ahead. They had lost the trail of toadstools an hour before, but he could smell wolf all over the place, so knew they were getting close. He could dimly see shapes flitting around above the spot, and then watched another flash blitz upwards and extinguish itself in something, which then exploded spectacularly. Kirara swooped down beside him; her riders' faces were intent.
 
“Inuyasha, that must be Kagome-sama's arrows…”
 
“No shit, houshi…and she's under attack. Let's go!” He took off running, when Kirara suddenly had the back of his fire-rat gripped in her fangs, and he managed to land fairly gracefully on her rump when she tossed him over her shoulder.
 
“Kirara! Are you sure you can manage?” Sango asked, and the neko-youkai yowled a reply before picking up speed towards the source of the fireworks display. Inuyasha gingerly gripped Miroku's shoulders to stabilize himself.
 
“Don't get any funny ideas, houshi…”
 
“My dear hanyou…I wouldn't dream of it!”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Kagome was running out of arrows, and Ginta and Hakkaku had to forage farther and farther afield to find decent replacements, which exposed them to attack. She was completely out of ammo, and the boys were too far away to intervene, when three harpies dove on her out of the dark sky. She yanked out her sword, aiming for the soft underbelly away from the talons, when something without feathers whooshed overhead.
 
Kagome!” Tetsusaiga's unmistakeable energy signature carved the air beside her, and pieces of harpy spattered messily.
 
“Inuyasha!” For the second time in one day, Kagome ran to throw her arms around the hanyou. This time, she caught him in a rather passionate kiss that had him clutching her tightly until they had to come up for air.
 
He blinked, hard, and shook his head slightly. “Wow… what was that for?”
 
She smiled up at him, watching his eyes turn from bright gold to dark amber. “For showing up in the nick of time…. let's not make a habit out of meeting on a battlefield like this, dog-boy. Even Miroku's going to give us heck…”
 
“Screw the houshi…you're okay?”
 
“Yup. How did you find us? Shippo's toadstools were kind of cleaned up…”
 
“Sango remembered something her dad told her, and then we spotted your arrows. Where's wolf-shit?”
 
Kagome pointed. Koga was positioned on a ledge just below the harpy's nest, and even from that distance, she could practically see the steam coming out his pointy ears. Inuyasha growled, a dark, feral sound that made the hair on the back of her neck go up. She tightened her grip around his waist, then saw that he was giving the evil eye to her two `brothers'. “It's okay, Inuyasha…these guys are all right. Ginta, Hakkaku…this is my chosen mate, never mind what Koga says.”
 
“Hey! Dog-turd! Get your filthy hands off my woman!” Koga's shout had Inuyasha's ears flattening against his skull.
 
“You lousy piece of shit! How dare you endanger Kagome! I'll gut you for that!”
 
“I'm a little busy right now, puppy…go play fetch or something and I'll kick your ass when I have time.” Koga readied his spear, and crouched slightly, watching the lead harpy intently.
 
Kagome lost her grip on the fire-rat as the hanyou took off, racing across the plateau and heading up the cliff face. Two harpies tried a dual attack on him; they were shredded in a split second. Ginta and Hakkaku tried to gently herd her towards a clutch of large boulders. “Come, sister…Koga's anger at us would be immeasurable if something happened to you…but your chosen one has a fairly impressive temper as well!”
 
She was giving in, and trying to scuttle backwards so that she could keep an eye on the wolf and the hanyou, when she caught sight of something bearing down fast from the corner of her eye. No time to yell a warning, and then the harpy disintegrated in mid-air from a swipe of the Hiraikotsu. “Sango! Houshi! Hurray…!” The two dumbfounded wolf demons watched their `sister' race over to hug a menacing neko-youkai and then embrace a human woman dressed in a demon exterminator's outfit while squeezing the hand of a Buddhist monk. They looked at each other, shrugged, and then froze as the fire-cat pinned them with a red-eyed glare.
 
Miroku looked around at the massive bodies crumpled on the landscape, and noted how many were still in the air. While the wolf demons had managed to kill an impressive amount, there was still many more, hovering darkly against the stars. “Take cover! If you value your lives, stay back!” He unwound the prayer beads. “Vortex!” The assembled wolf demons gawked, gasped and roared their approval as the harpy flock simply disappeared, along with a fair bit of the rockwork in the near vicinity. Miroku re-wrapped the gauntlet, with a large grin on his face.
 
“Houshi? Why are you smiling?” Sango asked cautiously. Kagome looked up from where she was re-filling her quiver with the arrows and bow Sango returned to her, and noted the satisfaction colouring the monk's countenance.
 
“It's not often that I am able to use this in such a gratifying manner, sama.”
 
“Not to mention without any hell wasps to mess things up,” Kagome chimed in. An impressive burst of swearing from higher up caught all their attention, just in time to see Koga try to jam the lead harpy's mouth open with his spear, have the wooden shaft snap like a toothpick, and then Inuyasha tore the harpy's wing half off. Koga used the distraction to decapitate one of the two humanoid heads, and the harpy smashed into the mountain before disappearing behind the outcropping. It was hard to tell if it was a deliberate attempt to crush the two attackers, or if the harpy had just become disoriented by their actions.
 
Koga and Inuyasha turned their attentions on each other. The hanyou curled his claws into tight fists. “Say your prayers, wolf…you're not getting anywhere near Kagome again.”
 
The wolf prince smiled darkly. “You obviously aren't up to the task of mating her, puppy…she stinks like you, but no scent that tells me she's off-limits…what's the matter? Not old enough to get it up? You know she'd be happier with me than a pup like you.”
 
Inuyasha's blood was dangerously near the boiling point, and what Koga said next put him over the edge. The wolf leaned over, cupped his hands around his mouth, and shouted down to the figures clustered below, “I'm in love with you, Kagome! Stay at my side…I'll protect you from rabble like this!” He turned with a nasty smirk to the hanyou. “Bet you've never had the nerve to even say that to her, right, punk? I'm the stronger…by rights she should be mine.”
 
Inuyasha exploded at the wolf demon, going after him with teeth and claws, forcing Koga back with strike after strike, the wolf easily dodging, a lazy smirk on his face. Miroku tore his attention away from the battle, scanning the assembled wolf demons for their reaction to this, noticing a wide-eyed Shippo dangling in his guard's grip. He strolled towards the pair, smiling benignly at the demon, who shuffled his feet a bit. “Ah, many thanks for looking after Kagome-sama's kit…hello, Shippo-kun.” He held out his arms for the kit, and the demon handed him over, his eyes flicking nervously over the gauntlet. Miroku thanked him gravely, and paused before carrying Shippo back to the others. “Should Inuyasha have any cause for concern as to what Koga is saying, Shippo-kun?”
 
The kit glowered at him, and Miroku had the distinct impression that his shins would have been badly bruised if Shippo was free. “Nice to see you too, houshi…what do you think? Forget it…you're so perverted that you wouldn't understand the term soul-mate.”
 
“But you do, kitsune?”
 
“When it comes to Kagome and Inuyasha… oh, yeah.”
 
An enraged shout/howl from above caught their attention. Inuyasha had drawn the Tetsusaiga, and both he and the sword were actually glowing in the moonlight. Koga was cracking his knuckles and grinning evilly. “You've endangered my Kagome for the last time, dog-shit, so you're just going to have to die. She'll then take her rightful place as alpha female of my pack…”
 
Inuyasha snarled, baring his fangs, his eyes flickering ever-so-faintly light red. “You talk like you know her, fucker…you have no idea of who she really is. I'm going to kill you for just breathing the same air she does, never mind putting your dirty hands…”
 
“How do you know she didn't prefer my `dirty hands'?” A flash, and a foot slammed into Inuyasha's jaw, knocking him half-way into the cliff face, and then Koga flexed his claws again. “See you in the seventh hell sometime, punk.” He was gathered for the spring, when Kagome's shout broke his concentration.
 
“Jewel shard! Twelve o'clock!” Koga looked around, threw up his arm instinctively…and then yelled as the limb was locked painfully between the huge teeth of the lead harpy. It flapped away, circling back, as it gnawed relentlessly. He stifled a scream, and began trying to swing himself into position for a strike against its jaw.
 
Your arm is lost, wolf…do your legs taste as sweet?
 
“You won't find out, bird-bastard…take this!” Grunting with the effort and the pain, he drew up his legs, and delivered a two-footed kick to the harpy's teeth, which shattered under the impact of the shard-fuelled attack, but not before the shard in his wrist disappeared down its gullet. Koga found himself falling awkwardly, and not far enough off the ground to change his position for an easier landing. All the air was knocked out of his lungs when he landed on his back, blood splattering everywhere from his torn arm. Sucking in oxygen, he was able to shout a command to his pack, which was scrambling towards him. “Stay back! It has a second shard, and it's targeting the ones in my legs…Kagome, take cover!
 
There was a furious roar, a blur of red and silver, and abruptly the hanyou was standing between him and the harpy on its descending trajectory, the great sword held over his shoulder.
 
“What the fuck are you doing, puppy? Get the hell out of the way! I can handle this bastard with only one arm…” Koga hissed. He stilled when Inuyasha turned his head, to regard him with a fiery golden eye.
 
“Shut the fuck up, you piece of wolf-shit. I'll show you who's more worthy of Kagome, and then I'll rip you to fucking shreds…” He brought the sword down into position, concentrating on the harpy, then tensed and swung with more force than he'd ever used before. “Wind Scar!” The harpy simply ceased to exist; one moment it was there, both mouths opened in a triumphant scream, and the next…it was gone. Everyone present covered their heads as reddened bits of harpy began plopping wetly on and around them.
 
Kagome glanced around at the assembled wolves, grinning when she saw the dropped jaws and stunned expressions. She had to move fast, though, when Inuyasha turned to the wolf prince with an ugly twist to his mouth. She sprinted past the downed wolf to throw herself into the hanyou's chest. “Inuyasha…” His claw tips dug into her leather-clad shoulder as he wrapped one arm around her.
 
“Kagome…why are you protecting that fucker? He kidnapped you, endangered you, touched you…” His voice was low, rough and snarling. He kept his head down, his bangs hiding most of his face, despite Kagome's attempts to peer up at him. She wound her fingers into his sidelocks and rubbed her cheek along his jaw.
 
“Because I don't want to watch you murder someone in cold blood, even if he is a scrawny, smelly wolf.” The claws relaxed slightly then, and he tucked her head under his chin, fixing the wolf prince with a frightening, reddened stare.
 
“I'll let you live today, wolf-shit, because my Kagome wishes it. It'll be a death-match next time, so choose your successor…”
 
Kagome twisted free of his arm and crooked her finger at Ginta and Hakkaku. “Get him out of here…gag him if you have to. Inuyasha means what he says, Koga, so keep your distance. There won't be enough left to bury when the `Wind Scar' takes you down.”
 
The wolf prince regarded her with something akin to astonishment as the two demons put their shoulders under his arms and raised him to his feet. “Kagome…you can't be serious…about that puppy?”
 
The hair-raising growl coming from behind her shook her a bit, but her voice was firm. “Show some respect to the stronger one, wolfling, who doesn't get his power from Jewel shards. My threat to purify you still stands…” The wolves began an orderly retreat; Kagome couldn't help but snicker when a loudly protesting Koga was swept up like a child and carried along on the shoulders of his pack.
 
She turned back to Inuyasha, but the hanyou had moved away, his face still shrouded by silver. Kagome could see that the knuckles gripping the Tetsusaiga were white; she was about to approach him, when Sango touched her arm. “Kagome…I've located the two shards that the harpy had…will you purify them, please?” With a worried glance at the hanyou, she went with the slayer to do as she was asked, stopping to hug a liberated Shippo who bounded into her arms. The kit peered over at Inuyasha.
 
“Dog-breath is pretty upset, Kagome…”
 
She bit her lip. “Koga was stupidly-suicidal, saying those things to him, no doubt about it, but I couldn't watch him murder the idiot…”
 
Sango also observed the hanyou carefully. “His manhood, er, demon-hood, um,…ego was attacked, Kagome. His hackles need to be smoothed down. I'm actually surprised that Koga didn't throw the `half-breed' insult at him.”
 
“I can hear ya, ya know!”
 
They all flinched at the anger in his voice; Shippo was handed off to Sango, and Kagome walked over to him. She picked up the flaring of his youkai, and wondered at the intensity of it. Laying a gentle hand on his arm, she tried to reach up to his cheek. He turned his head away, aware of the blistering anger burning through his veins, vibrating his body.
 
That fucking wolf…how dare he…
Are you more pissed because you couldn't protect her from him, or because he implied you're not capable of mating her?
I'll tear the fucker's throat out for both…
Control yourself…breathe…beat this anger down…it'll only hurt you and her…
I will protect what's mine.
If you lose control, you'll lose her.
What if he touched her?
She would hardly have protected him if he dishonoured her…don't frighten her, dammit!
Scent…I need to breathe her scent…
 
“Kagome…come here.” Since she was standing in front of him, concerned at the low growls issuing from his throat, she only had to step closer. Carefully, he clasped her gently in his arms, took a handful of braid and tugged, exposing the side of her neck. She held very still, as he pressed his nose into her skin and inhaled deeply.
 
“Inuyasha…what's wrong?”
 
“Take off your tunic.”
 
Wondering at the harsh tone of his voice, she complied. She stiffened as he slid the tunic off the shoulder opposite her quiver, and unbuckled her body armour, shoving it and her bra strap out of the way. He ran his tongue down the side of her neck before burying his face in the bared flesh of her throat, his fangs pressing lightly against her pulse. Completely aware of how vulnerable she was to him, wondering what he was doing and why, Kagome distracted herself by tenderly rubbing his left ear. His head shifted lower on her chest, and she gently pressed the furry triangle to her lips, kissing the delicate pink skin just inside the tip.
 
Inuyasha trembled slightly, but didn't move from his position. His breathing calmed and steadied as he inhaled her floral-tinted warmth, finding the old traces of his own scent on her skin, until the burning anger in his blood receded. No wolf stink here… He nuzzled the top curve of her breast, listening to her heart, while she buried her face in his hair, blushing furiously at the fact they were doing this out in the open. At least it was dark…Kagome cracked an eye, and noted in relief that the other four were nowhere in sight. Inuyasha's voice, a little muffled, vibrated through her.
 
“Am I really your chosen mate?”
 
She paused only for the moment it took to inhale. “Yes.”
 
“Did that piece of shit touch you anywhere?”
 
“Like this? Not a chance. I would've purified his ass to cinders.” Inuyasha sighed then, his breath skimming over her tender skin that usually didn't see the light of day, and ran his tongue-tip from the valley between her breasts up her throat until he reached her chin, and then nipped her lower lip gently before kissing her. Kagome pressed herself against him, and they lost themselves in the heat from each other's mouths, in the sensations of tongue and teeth sliding and twining. When they opened their eyes, Kagome saw that his were glowing dark gold, shot through with filaments of flame, and he was looking at her with such intensity it was like he was searching for the place in her soul that belonged only to him.
 
Koishii…You declared your choice in front of witnesses. We need to make it official…”
 
“No need to rush, dog-boy. Don't be affected by whatever that idiot might have said. We'll do it on our own time…”
 
“Keh! `Now' sounds good.”
 
She tweaked his ear; he nibbled her earlobe, his hands cupping her hips more firmly. Kagome tried to squirm away. “Um, thanks for the offer, but the middle of a blood-stained battlefield isn't quite my idea of romantic…besides, I have to take off and leave you right now.”
 
His eyes went from heavy-lidded to wide open in a heartbeat. “What?!”
 
Kagome began tugging her disarranged gear back into place, which was kind of difficult since Inuyasha wasn't letting go; in fact, he was pressing his groin against her in a rather insistent fashion. “Something came to my attention during these last couple of days, and I have to go home right away to check it out.”
 
“No way! What if that fucker gets his hands on you again?”
 
“He'll be dead… What I'm looking into could be critical to our mission against Naraku. If Kirara agrees, I'll take off tonight, do my research, and be waiting for you at Kaede's by the time you get back. I'll be safe with Kirara in the air.”
 
He yanked her tight against him, arms winding around her body. “I don't like it,” he grumbled against her ear. “I have something I need to say to you, and something we need to do…”
 
“Save it for when you next see me…I want to have the time to listen without distractions.” Her expression was bright, as she brought up her hands to cup his face, and kiss him tenderly. He surprised himself by letting her go, but he took her hand and held it tightly as she turned towards the others. Sango was sitting with her back against a rock, Kirara and Shippo in her lap, as they studiously admired at the stars. Miroku, of course, was perched on a boulder and smirking broadly in their direction. Kagome squeezed Inuyasha's hand when he growled slightly. “Sango? May I ask Kirara for a favour?”
 
Sango turned her head and nodded. Kagome crouched in front of the neko-youkai, who regarded her with a wary expression. “Kirara, would you please transport me back to the well tonight? It's really important that I get back to my time as soon as possible.” Kirara stretched and yawned; Sango tickled her nose, earning a bat on the hand from an elegant black paw.
 
“Kirara tired herself out carrying all three of us here, Kagome.” Kagome was about to apologize for asking her to exert herself again, when Kirara winked, jumped out of Sango's lap, and transformed. Sango was surprised. “I guess she isn't as tired as I thought…Kirara? Why don't you stay overnight with Kaede-sama, and then rejoin us tomorrow?” The fire-cat rumbled, which they all took as an assurance. Kagome looked around.
 
“Wait a minute…why don't we all get off this mountain, and then Kirara and I will continue?”
 
“Good idea, Kagome-sama. Sango-sama, may I have the pleasure of riding with you?” Sango eyed him cautiously.
 
“Just so long as you haven't developed any funny ideas from watching Kagome and Inuyasha, monk.”
 
“While their performance was certainly enlightening, I assure you that I will restrain myself, sama.”
 
Sango muttered in Shippo's ear; the kit grinned widely. While Kagome made herself comfortable on Inuyasha's back, Sango mounted Kirara…and the kit hopped up behind her, holding on to her sash. Miroku raised an eyebrow, but didn't comment, sliding on behind the kit, reaching around him to place his staff across Sango's lap and grip the wooden shaft on either side of her waist. Shippo looked vaguely disappointed at the houshi's lack of response.
 
Inuyasha turned his head and regarded Kagome out of the corner of his eye. “Be quick with this errand, wench…we have some things to discuss.”
 
She leaned her chin on his shoulder, smiling softly. “Verbal or non-verbal discussion?”
 
His answering leer became very broad. “I'm aiming to make you unable to talk coherently, koishii…or think straight, either.” Kirara roared, and became airborne, and Inuyasha swiftly followed, bounding rapidly down the mountain and into the darkened forest.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Two hours later, Kagome was laying flat against Kirara's back, her hands and face buried in the fire-cat's thick ruff, her teeth chattering. The air temperature at this altitude was far colder than at ground level, but at least it wasn't a very long flight. Inuyasha had pulled a pout when she left him with the others in the clearing, but she'd kissed the expression away, at least long enough to make her escape.
 
“H-how m-much l-longer, K-k-kirara?” she shouted against the wind. The fire-cat roared and began to descend; Kagome looked over to see the distinctive watchtower of Kaede's village whip past as Kirara lifted them over the tree tops to swoop down into the well meadow. The girl held firmly onto the cat's fur as she swung off, afraid that her freezing limbs would give way. Kirara purred and brought her muzzle around to stabilize her as Kagome leaned against her side.
 
“Thank you so much, Kirara. Tell you what…I'll bring you some of the treats that my cat likes back for you, okay?” As she rubbed the neko-youkai's ears, something wet and cold landed on the end of her nose. Kagome brought up a hand to brush it away, and watched as a tiny, perfect snowflake landed in the centre of Kirara's forehead marking. For long minutes, they stood together next to the well, breathing the crisp air, looking up into the half-starry sky, as the leading edge of the snow cloud showered them with sparkling crystals. Kirara finally shook herself, meowing, and Kagome hugged her. “See you tomorrow night, Kirara!”
 
The demon watched Kagome vault lightly over the rim of the well, waited until the blue glow faded, and then walked gracefully away, towards the village and the warm hut. Kirara licked her lips. Maybe Kaede would give her the fish for breakfast that the humans wouldn't be there to eat…