InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Phoenix Blade: Time Lapse ❯ Tactical Withdrawal ( Chapter 30 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I don't own anything…Almost all characters and most situations are created and owned by Takahashi-sama!
 
A/N: Wow…when I thought up this fic, I figured I only had enough material to fill ten chapters! Thanks to all the reviewers for their thoughts and encouragement, and to everyone who has stopped by for a look so far!
 
Happy Thanksgiving to everyone south of the 49th!
 
The Phoenix Blade: Time Lapse
Chapter 30: Tactical Withdrawal
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Present Day
 
The evening of`D-Day'(demon-day)
 
Once out of his office, Sessaki had taken her by the elbow, more to get her away from Yashita than anything else, and escorted her down the corridor to another room after tossing an order at the growling hanyou to change out of his damp fatigues. The taiyoukai slid open a door panel, revealing three women, one human and two youkai, who broke off their animated conversation to look at them with bright expressions. Kagome stood on the threshold, at a bit of a loss, until Sessaki gently pushed her in with a hand in the centre of her back. An attractive woman, the most petite of the three, rose and stepped forward, holding out her hands.
 
“Kagome! How lovely to see you again! I am so pleased that you can join us this evening.” Kagome looked at the dark-haired human woman wearing a golden-apricot-and-cream formal silk kimono, apparently in her mid-thirties, and desperately tried to place her. She heard Sessaki chuckle softly behind her.
 
“Beloved, you were rather young the last time Kagome saw you…”
 
The woman laughed gaily. “It's me…Rin. Now I'm old enough to be your mother, and back then, you could have been mine! Time does odd things, doesn't it?” The stunned girl was enfolded in a huge hug, the look on her face causing the other two women to giggle behind their hands.
 
“I will leave you to acquaint yourselves with Lady Kagome…do not be over-long. Leave the leathers here, and Nekajo will take care of them.” Sessaki stepped out, closing the door after him. Rin released Kagome, and smiling brightly, took her hand and led her to the other women, who were already on their feet, smoothing their kimonos.
 
“This is Lady Ayame, Lord Kogashu's mate. I don't believe that you have met in the past as of this time.” Kagome shook her head mutely, but bowed politely to the stunning red-head in the shimmering ivory kimono trellised with leaf-green patterns. Lady Ayame bowed in return, then stepped forward to take her hands.
 
“It is so strange to meet you now, Lady Kagome…when we last met, we were the same age, and now I'm older than you!”
 
“I look forward to meeting you…I'm happy that Kogashu found someone who could deal with his, er…exuberant personality.” Lady Ayame chuckled.
 
“That is the most polite way I've ever heard anyone refer to my husband, Lady Kagome. He was quite stuck on you…despite Ginta and Hakkaku's best efforts to convince him otherwise. They tried so hard to tell him…”
 
“I hope that didn't cause too much trouble, Lady Ayame…I made it very clear right from the start that I was spoken for. Wait…have I met my `brothers' here?”
 
“ `Gen' and `Hake' were supposed to be the `Spirits of Darkness' at the New Moon Festival, but they were very reluctant to go up against you, for fear of what Yashita might do to them.” Kagome wasn't quite sure what to say to that, so just smiled.
 
The last youkai woman was a lovely fox vixen, with golden blonde hair and topaz-blue eyes, wearing a sapphire kimono embroidered with golden rice grains. She bowed deeply to a startled Kagome. “Lady Kagome…it is a pleasure to finally meet you after all I've heard of you.”
 
“I hope that I meet your expectations, Lady Kogane.” The vixen smiled dazzlingly.
 
“I look forward to spending more time with you…but, I am merely Kogane, my lady.” Rin tucked Kagome's arm under hers, and pulled the flustered girl over to a lacquered screen.
 
“Don't worry about anything right now, Kagome…I'm sure you're still suffering a little shock over my taiyoukai walking in on you in all his stripey glory, hmm? Now it's time to play a little dress-up before your mate comes barging in.”
 
Fifteen minutes later, a rather dazed Kagome, stripped out of her leathers and cuirass, now wearing several layers of green silk snugged around her waist with an elaborately constructed obi, her hair twisted up off her neck and secured with finely-carved combs, was deemed ready to step out and join the party. Rin fluttered around her, smoothing the gleaming hand-painted fabric. “I've always associated you with the colour green, Kagome… probably from that lovely cloak you wrapped around me the day you asked me to stay for lunch with you and `Sesshomaru-sama'. Do you remember?”
 
Kagome suddenly, genuinely smiled. “Like it was yesterday, actually…”
 
As they stepped out into the corridor, it became obvious to Kagome that she was being subtly introduced to the `pecking order' of rank that affected everything to do with the Imperial house…and, obviously, the court of the Western Lands. Rin was a half-step ahead of her, she was followed directly by Ayame, and then a full step behind the wolf princess was Kogane. The girl was about to inquire further, when a servant slid a large panel back, revealing a large tatami room set with a low table and cushions.
 
Not to mention a Yashita that Kagome barely recognized. He was standing with a fully-marked Sessaki, and turned quickly towards the opening door. Kagome caught her breath….gods, he looks like his brother… Yashita was dressed in a dark-berry-juice kimono which emphasized the markings on his cheeks…and he'd even combed his hair, which looked slightly wavy from being in a braid for so long. He seemed taller, broader of shoulder, and older…but the honey-golden eyes and fuzzy ears were the same…where was her Inuyasha? Rin ushered her farther into the room, right up to the inu brothers.
 
Yashita clasped her hand, and brought it to his lips, his eyes never leaving hers. “Beautiful…simply beautiful, koishii.” Kagome blushed, conscious of being the centre of attention of a roomful of eyes…and suddenly wondered what the hell she had gotten herself into, and if she could get back out of it. If only she hadn't been so damn curious
 
Despite her official role as Celestial Bodyguard, and despite being a cadet at the Imperial Military Academy, she was always a little out of sorts with too much protocol. Just her luck, now she was apparently up to her armpits in more intricacies of rank and precedence, and being given a hairy eyeball by a notoriously snooty taiyoukai. Why didn't I just go with the `mysterious benefactor' and leave it at that… she moaned inwardly. She realized that she was being observed closely by two pairs of golden eyes, and quickly bobbed a nervous bow to Sessaki, who regarded her thoughtfully, before indicating that they all should be seated.
 
Glancing quickly around the table, Kagome wished for the more casual pavilion setting of the New Moon Festival; all this formality, in clothing and manners, was making her edgy. Shimano caught her eye from the other side of the table and winked; that made her feel a bit better. Yashita seated himself beside her with a swish of silk…she found herself wishing for the rustle of fire-rat, an “Oi, wench!”, and grumpy demands for ramen. Her nerves were not helped when Sessaki gracefully deposited himself on the cushion on her other side; she felt like a quivering rabbit caught between two keen-nosed hunting dogs…
 
The attending servants were all youkai or hanyou, she realized, since none of them were bothering with concealment spells, and there were quite a few pointy ears and fangs happening, with various tails or feathers in evidence. After Sessaki led them in the toast to the Emperor, dinner was served. The food was excellent, and she kept her head down, occasionally stealing nervous sideways glances at Yashita, listening in on the conversations going around the table. Rin and Ayame were chatting animatedly about the upcoming nuptials of…their children. Noticing her interest, Kogashu tapped on the tabletop with his claw to catch her attention. “My oldest boy is marrying your niece, Kagome. You'll be part of my family one way or the other…”
 
Sessaki growled under his breath. “What my daughter sees in your son, I will never understand, wolf.” Kagome blinked. Obviously, Yashita wasn't the only one who didn't care for the wolf prince…
 
Ignoring the taiyoukai, Kogashu grinned at Kagome. “You've already met my boy, actually. Handsome young devil…was an upperclassmen when you were a cadet…had a bit of a tiff with his fiancé and took a pretty girl out a couple of times before they made up…” Kagome choked on the bite she was chewing; Yashita gently thumped her back. When she could talk, she glared at the far-too-jaunty demon.
 
“Don't tell me…Shikoro! I should've known he'd be related to you…so did you tell him to ask me out to make Yash mad?”
 
“Of course not, princess! He was attracted to you for the same qualities that I found so irresistible…”
 
“Right, he needed a shard detector, too…”
 
Ayame clamped a hand over Kogashu's mouth; Kagome could see her fingers squeezing tightly and the wolf's blue eyes widening. “What my charming mate meant to say was…he and our son owe you an apology, Lady Kagome, for their frightfully poor behaviour…right, dear?” Kogashu nodded, the tears starting to form in the corners of his eyes.
 
Trying to ease the tension, Kagome fluttered a bit and smiled nervously. “I- er, I'm very happy that they, um, patched things up…when is the wedding?”
 
“In wisteria time…thank goodness, because there is still so much to plan…” and the conversation was off again, talking about calligraphy for invitations, special sake being brewed, the difficulty in procuring the exact weight and quality of silk for the wedding kimono, where the couple would honeymoon… While the dishes were cleared, and fruit and tea served, Kagome suddenly became aware of a distinct atmosphere in her vicinity, between Sessaki and Yashita. She looked up at Sessaki in time to see an almost imperceptible nod of his head; she gulped. Something was up…what she wouldn't give for her bow, a flight of arrows and about a dozen demons for target practise…at least she knew what to do in that situation.
 
“Kagome…I'd like to you to accept this gift, as a small token of my affection for you.” The table went silent; she swung her head to Yashita, eyes wide and feeling suddenly very, very nervous. He smiled gently at her, and proffered a small round lacquered box balanced on his clawed hand. She hesitated for a brief moment, before slowly reaching to take it from his palm. Necks craned as the ladies shamelessly manoeuvred for a clear view; Rin was nearly in Sessaki's lap, which was such an odd display of intimacy that Kagome was momentarily distracted.
 
Heart pounding, everything on alert, suddenly wondering what the implications were of acceptance… “You've declared your choice in front of witnesses, Kagome…” the hanyou's voice echoed in her mind she opened the lid, revealing a circular enamelled pin, apparently of white flowers sprinkled with tiny red jewels.
 
“Ohhhh, how sweet, Yash…what a lovely obi pin,” cooed Ayame. Kagome understood, in a flash of insight, that Ayame was covering for her, since she really didn't know what the heck the piece of jewellery was for. She turned to Yashita, who was closely watching her expression.
 
“T-thank you… It is lovely…”
 
“Oh, Yash…very nice…here, Kagome…let me put it on for you…” Rin was kneeling beside her, taking the ornament from the box, and pinning it into the front of her obi, exclaiming over how she didn't know Yashita had such good taste…Kagome felt she was having one of those out-of-body experiences, where she was watching a girl who looked awfully like herself fumble for some solid ground; she wished for starlight, a campfire, and a bright-eyed kitsune presenting her with a pretty rock or a flower…even a houshi-grope would be welcome, because she knew the appropriate response.
 
Kagome discovered that she really, really hated being in a situation where she felt both trapped and stripped of her defences. That made her the tiniest bit cranky…
 
She managed to smile bravely and, suddenly aware that it might not be appropriate, leaned over to lightly kiss Yashita on the cheek. Sake was poured, and congratulations offered…Kagome felt even worse. She took tea over more sake, aware of Yashita's eyes on her face, feeling more and more uncomfortable every moment. Sessaki finally indicated that the meal was over by rising to his feet. Yashita was upright beside her in an instant, his hand under her elbow, sliding the lacquer box into her hand. Rin took her over, ushering her out of the room and down the hall to retrieve her things. Kagome went towards the screen, intending to change; Rin stopped her and told her just to put on her boots for the drive home. They both had a bit of a chuckle as she buckled up the new combat boots under the elegant kimono, and then Rin bundled her into a long, rustling wrap with a hood; when she promised to return the silk kimono the next morning, Rin laughed.
 
“These are for you, Kagome…think of them as the birthday presents we weren't able to give to you over these past few years.”
 
Kagome bit her lip. “Thank you, Rin…May I ask you a question? What does this pin that Yashita gave me signify?”
 
The older woman paused, then gently took Kagome's cold fingers in her own slender ones, looking carefully into the girl's strained face. “It's an engagement gift, Kagome…he's publicly stating his intentions towards you. We all know that you become his mate…he's just making it official in this century.”
 
“Oh…”
 
“This does not please you?” Rin's dark brown eyes were sharp.
 
“I-it does please me…very much…it's just an awful lot to cope with in one afternoon.”
 
“Of course, dear.” Rin's eyes softened, and she squeezed Kagome's fingers. “That was quite a bit of information to take in all at once, wasn't it? I think we've all forgotten that you still have a long road to travel on your quest…Yashita sometimes forgets that, too. Tell him, Kagome…I'm sure he'll understand.”
 
After Kagome gathered her sword, glad for something familiar to hold onto, they stepped out of the room. Yashita and Sessaki were waiting for them, and Kagome suddenly felt extremely nervous…again. Sessaki's yellow eyes flicked from her to Rin and back again; he dropped a clawed hand lightly onto her shoulder. “I will see you in my office first thing tomorrow. We must arrange your training schedule.”
 
“Yes, sir.” Noting the look that crossed his face, she hastily added. “Until this mission is over, it is probably best if I continue to refer to you as my commanding officer…sir.” And I feel more comfortable with it…she added mentally. He nodded, his gaze intent, before releasing her shoulder and offering his arm to Rin. She pecked Kagome on the cheek before the two of them swept up the corridor. A servant arrived carrying the bags containing her leathers and cuirass, but smilingly wouldn't give them up to her, instead retreating back down the corridor to wait. Yashita watched her; she had trouble meeting his eyes.
 
“What's wrong, koishii? You've been a nervous wreck all evening.”
 
Kagome took a deep breath, to steady her nerves and try to stop the pounding of her heart. Hoping to soften the blow, she reached for his hand, and wound her fingers around his. “Everything…and nothing, Yash. I-I'm feeling really overwhelmed here, and totally out of my depth…I don't think that I can meet everyone's expectations of me…even yours.”
 
“What do you mean?” The claw tips of his other hand lightly touched her cheek, trailing off her jaw to tangle in the few strands of hair that escaped the restraining combs; his golden eyes so soft and gentle and yearning that she felt like she was going to kick a faithful dog. She swallowed hard.
 
“I'm really just a kid, Yash. Y-you grew up while we were apart, but I'm still just…a pup… the same as Inuyasha. All the experiences that you and I shared, that forged us into a single unit… I haven't had most of them yet. I don't really know how to say this…but…I think that I'd better concentrate on being with Inuyasha right now…since he eventually becomes you. I-I'm really sorry…but I just can't do this… it isn't you, honest!” she hastily added, seeing the pained expression on his face. “It's me…I don't think I'm ready to be the Celestial Bodyguard, the Legendary Fledgling, the Jewel's Protector, Inuyasha's mate…and hold some kind of official rank in the Court of the Western Lands as your lady, too. Something's gonna give if I try to juggle all that…”
 
He stepped in close, and wrapped her in a tight hug. It was a long time before he spoke, and then it was into her hair. “I do understand, Kagome…forgive me, please. I've missed you…so much…and I'm being selfish. I don't want to be alone any more…I want to be with you.” There was another long pause. “You…you will accept my gift, won't you?”
 
“Of course…I'm still yours,” she murmured into his silk-covered chest, batting away a traitorous part of her brain that was loudly wishing for fire-rat. “You're my future, and my past. That's a weird thing to contemplate… I have full intentions of living through that final battle, so you'd better be ready for me on this side, all right?”
 
“I'll be ready…my Kagome. But… will you accompany me to this wedding, as my intended…?”
 
“It would be an honour…” Mentally she kicked herself for the stiff response, but what the hell could she say?
 
“Hey, Kagome! Shake a leg, girl…we need to get you home, and rescue the babysitter from our darlings. Give her a kiss, Yash and let her go. You'll be seeing much more of her now…” Shimano, with Kogane on his arm, grinned at them. Yashita tilted her face up, and brushed her lips with a chaste kiss before releasing her, his fingers lingering on her chin, a melancholy look in his eyes.
 
She smiled a bit lopsidedly at him. “I love you…”
 
His answering smile was sad; his ears drooped. “You love him, Kagome…I've said it before; the pup's a lucky dog.”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Shimano and Kogane stole the occasional glance at each other in the front seat of their car, while they listened to the barely-stifled sniffles emerging from the back seat where an overwhelmed, overstressed human girl was trying to cope. They both jumped a little when she finally spoke, in a very tiny voice.
 
“Sh-shimano? What happened to Miroku and Sango?”
 
He adjusted his rear-view mirror so that he could see her tear-streaked face. “They lived long, happy lives, and had a whack of kids together.”
 
“They got married? Then what did Kogashu mean, that Miroku's hand was `twice as cursed'?”
 
“He was exaggerating. Sango allowed Miroku a couple of days to make a nuisance out of himself, while she celebrated being reunited with her brother, but then they got down to business. They were married within the month, and their oldest was born within the year.”
 
Kagome sighed, feeling like a weight had lifted off her chest. “Did you live with them?”
 
“For quite a few years…then I moved in with Yash.” Kagome understood that he stayed with them until they died before moving on. She had a moment of stillness, then wiped her cheeks before addressing her next question to the other youkai in the car.
 
“How did you meet this handsome kitsune, Kogane?”
 
The beautiful vixen laughed. “He tried to steal my rabbit stew right off of my cooking fire…said he did it on purpose, to catch my attention. He made quite an impression, I can tell you!”
 
“Yeah, in the wall of her house…She's a great cook despite her temper…we'll have you over soon, Kagome.” Shimano chimed in.
 
“Th-thanks…that would be really nice. Um…Kogane? I-I'm really not up on all this protocol stuff…why…?”
 
“Why aren't I `Lady Kogane'? Neither Shimano nor I are nobility…you take your place as the mate of Lord Yashita; therefore…”
 
“But he never used to want to have anything to do with that crap…oops, excuse me, Kogane…Remember, Shimano? `Don't you start with that `sama' sh-'…What happened?”
 
There was a gentle snort from the driver's seat. “He grew up, Kagome. Thanks to your influence, and the event that brought on those cheek stripes, he and Sessaki actually became fairly close. Once Sess got the stick out of his ass about humans and admitted he'd fallen in love with Rin, well, Yash was accepted as a full member of the court and given full rights and honours as heir apparent. Yash is still in line for the title, as Sess' and Rin's only daughter is marrying Kogashu's oldest boy. You may end up Lady of the Western Lands, Kagome.”
 
They were startled by the anguished groan coming from the back seat.
 
After a decent interval, during which the two in the front seat exchanged significant looks, Kogane spoke up. “Yashita truly loves you, Kagome…don't doubt his affections at all. He has remained true to you, even though once he was named the heir, he had all sorts of eligible females practically being thrown into his lap by their families. Remember that hoity-toity gathering where he emphatically and colourfully told all those matchmaking grannies where they could stuff their ambitions, dear?”
 
Shimano chortled as he negotiated the sharp turn into the gates of the shrine. “How could I forget? I thought Sess was going to throttle him on the spot…and then some old geezer shouted out that he sounded just like Inutaisho, and `you tell those interfering old bitches to go bite themselves'. That ended up being one heck of a party.” He manoeuvred the car as close to the door as he could, then turned to grin at the dazed girl. “I'll pick you and your brother up at 0730 tomorrow morning. Wear the outfit you received at the New Moon Festival; I'll find you an instructor's gi for training, okay? C'mon, I'll get your bags for you.”
 
Kagome hesitated a moment, leaned over the seat and squeezed Kogane's shoulder. “Thanks, Kogane…please don't call me `lady'…I'm breaking out into hives at the thought. Miroku used to call me that, but it was just his way; I didn't actually have to act like one. I-I really hope that… we can be friends.”
 
The vixen smiled mischievously. “It would please me greatly to have a friendly mother-in-law, Kagome…that was a joke, by the way.” The girl had nearly keeled over; Kogane laughed merrily as Kagome sheepishly grinned before getting out of the car and dashing to the house door, where her mother was holding an umbrella over Shimano's head while the two chattered animatedly.
 
Shimano handed her an extra bag. “Here's a set of fleeces for the pup, Kagome…you never know when they might come in handy. Oh, and the replacement for your `official' obi finally came in from the silk-weavers. Make sure your mom airs out that wrap…Yash got his scent all over it when he hugged you. See you in the morning!”
 
There had been a flurry of `oohs' and `aahs' from her mother when she was unwrapped from the cloak and showed off the beautiful kimono. Mrs. Higurashi's eyes were drawn to the obi pin like it was magnetized; once Kagome solemnly explained what it was, well, she had to have it off for a closer look. Kagome was fishing through her sleeve pocket for the lacquered box when her mother started to giggle.
 
“Have a look at this, Kagome…very nice `dogwoods', I'd say.”
 
Kagome obediently held it up to her eyes, and chuckled despite herself. The white enamelled `flowers' were actually stylized dog faces, and the red sparking jewels were their eyes. She opened the small lacquer box and put the pin inside, before handing it to her mother. “You'd better keep this in your room, mom. I don't honestly know what I'd tell Inuyasha if he came across it…mom, what am I going to do? Things just became really, really complicated…”
 
Before she could lose it again, Mrs. Higurashi patted her cheek, and began towing her upstairs. “You can't change what happened, Kagome. Doesn't it make you feel better that you have all this support on this side of the well? Not to mention that you have someone who loves you dearly after five centuries... That's something to be grateful for, isn't it?”
 
“But, mom…he's different!” Kagome burst out. “He's serious, he's official…he wears silk for crying out loud…and he combs his hair!”
 
“He's older, you mean.”
 
“Yeah…he is…” Kagome sighed dejectedly as she trailed into her room after her mother.
 
“And by the time this is over, I predict that you'll feel as old as he is now.”
 
Kagome stopped dead in the centre of her room, staring at her mother. “You know, don't you?”
 
Mrs. Higurashi gave her a serious, intent look while she draped the new red-and-gold sash over the display stand and moved to disassemble the elaborate obi around Kagome's waist. “I do. You must not fail, yourself or Inuyasha or your mission, Kagome. Too much is riding on its success. You'll be a different person by the end of this…one that has no trouble being Yashita's equal in spirit. Now, out of those party clothes and into the bath, young lady. Sensei Shimano will be here very early, and you need some sleep after a day like today.”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
0630 rolled around a little too early for Kagome, but at least her mom made a great breakfast while she stumbled around buckling her cuirass and gauntlets, remembering to stuff Sessaki's gold-and-violet sash into the front of her red haori, finger-combing her hair before containing it with the red silk ribbon, sloppily tying her obi, finally locating her katana propped in the corner of the foyer, all the while yawning so widely she felt like she was risking dislocating her jaw. It was still pouring rain outside; after breakfast she and Sota waited inside the foyer for their ride, her younger brother eyeing her dubiously, with scepticism writ large on his fourteen-year-old face. Kagome eyed him right back as she buckled up her combat boots, tucking the hakama into the tops and shrugged into her rain cape.
 
“What're you looking at, brat?”
 
“Mom says you're on a mission to save the world.”
 
“Finding that a little hard to believe?”
 
“No shit.”
 
“So-chan! Watch the language! Geez, what the freakin' hell's the matter with you?”
 
He punched her in the arm, smirking. “You just don't look like a superhero, sis.”
 
“My cape is in the wash…how much do you know, Sota?”
 
He shrugged. “Mom told me a couple of days ago that Yashita was Inuyasha…and that you're being protected now by the same demons that helped you in the past.”
 
Kagome grumbled. “So I was the last to know…”
 
“Well, Ojii-chan still doesn't…”
 
“Oh, that makes me feel so much better, to know that I'm only one step ahead of the most senile member of the family…hey, here's our ride…Bye, mom!”
 
They scuttled outside and piled into Shimano's sedan before he had time to honk the horn, Kagome commandeering the front seat, and Sota diving into the back, next to a pink-cheeked girl who introduced herself as Akagane. Both kitsunes had their concealment spells firmly in place; Kagome wondered if Sota knew what they really looked like. The pretty vixen's bright eyes sparkled at Sota; Kagome chortled mentally at the fun she was going to have, since she noticed that after a mumbled `hullo', Sota kept shooting sidelong glances at the girl while blushing furiously. She caught Shimano's eye, and nearly giggled out loud when he winked broadly and began a banal conversation about the weather.
 
They dropped the two teenagers off at their school; Sota offering to hold the umbrella for a blushing Akagane as they dashed for the entrance. “Aw, aren't they cute?” asked Shimano in a syrupy tone and with a straight face as he put the car into gear.
 
Kagome leaned over and poked him. “What does my granddaughter intend towards my brother, oh, son of mine?”
 
Shimano pursed his lips. “Boy, when you phrase it that way, it does sound complicated, doesn't it? Not to mention vaguely incestuous…”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
For the second time in as many days, Kagome found herself climbing the stairs to Sessaki's offices. Shimano made her promise to join him in the Armoury afterwards, as he `needed a hand' processing some requisitions or other. Yeah, right…he just wants first shot at the gossip! Kagome thought as she paused outside the sliding door, her hand on the catch, trying to steady herself. They're only trying to help she reminded herself, but sighed again. Why do I feel uncomfortable and a bit resentful, then?...Because yesterday I was gift-wrapped and shoved into a public role like some kind of doll? She was so deep in examining her somewhat negative reaction to her demonic benefactors that she instinctively threw up a defensive barrier when the door flew open, and she found herself being glared at by a distinctly toad-like Nekajo.
 
“It is considered impolite to lurk when one is of the House of the Western Lands, Lady Kagome.”
 
That did it. Kagome favoured him with a glare of her own as she dropped the barrier and let her irritation loose. “I should have whacked you harder with that staff when I had the chance, `Jaken'. Don't start ordering me around…my temper hasn't had a few centuries to mellow. Do me a favour and put your concealment spell back on…being human is an improvement for you.”
 
The toad youkai backed up, muttering darkly, shifting back into his humanoid appearance as she stalked in. Kagome paused to unbuckle her shiny new boots and park them at the door, next to a battered pair that she recognized as belonging to Kogashu. No sign of any footwear that might be Yashita's…she felt a guilty stab when she realized that she was actually glad she wouldn't see him today. Nekajo stood ready to open the door of the inner office, his beady eyes narrowed.
 
“Your obi knot is an embarrassment to your station…”
 
“Here's one to practise on, then…” She tossed him Sessaki's obi, which messily spiralled through the air as he scrabbled to catch it. Smiling sweetly at the frantic youkai, she slid the door open. “Good morning, gentlemen!” Her voice was unnaturally high-pitched as she bounced in, mainly because she was momentarily dismayed to have two pairs of intense dark eyes fasten on her simultaneously, but then relieved that they were both wearing their dark-haired mid-fortyish human guises. They were staring at a girl wreathed by a crackling halo of silver, whose eyes were snapping sparks. Kagome plopped untidily down onto the vacant cushion in front of Sessaki's desk and sat cross-legged, Fenikkusuken against her shoulder before grumbling at the non-plussed taiyoukai and the wolf prince. “Well! Since we're all here bright and early, shall we get on with it?”
 
Kogashu and Sessaki looked at each other, then at her. Kagome stared them both down as the silence stretched. Finally, Kogashu sighed. “I don't remember you being this feisty in the morning when you were a cadet, Kagome…”
 
“That was before I had arrogant wolf youkai kidnapping me before bento-break.” The girl straightened up and leaned forward, hard silver-grey eyes intent on Sessaki. “May I speak freely, sir?”
 
Kogashu rolled his eyes. “Since when have we ever been able to stop you?”
 
“Bite me, wolfling,” she snapped at him, before turning to the watchful taiyoukai. “To be blunt… I don't have time to waste on niceties. The winter isn't going to last forever, and I must have control of this sword before Naraku slithers out of whatever hole he's hibernating in. That is my reality, not worrying about court etiquette.”
 
Kagome had their attention now; she took a deep breath. “For four years, I've been trained as a soldier, honed as a weapon for the sole purpose of the destruction of Naraku. I cannot afford to be distracted by anything that does not directly pertain to the mission. In my theatre of operations, Naraku is very much alive…yet, it is his defeat at my hands that currently allows your mates to be fussing over the design of wedding invitations.”
 
She paused for a moment to let that sink in. “I have a huge responsibility resting on my shoulders; I ask that you do not add to it by expecting me to play any role at any court other than as Celestial Bodyguard…I just don't have time to learn to be `Lady Kagome' right now.” She fell silent, and waited, eyes fixed on the teak desktop, her heart hammering.
 
“Frightened?”
 
Kagome raised her head slowly to lock eyes with Sessaki. “Frightened only of failing in my duty, sir.”
 
There was a very long pause. “Understood, Higurashi.” Sessaki's deep voice was a quiet rumble. Kogashu shifted uncomfortably beside her at the undercurrent of tension and the reinstitution of formality in their address.
 
“Thank you, sir.”
 
“Four days here, three days there.”
 
“Yes, sir.”
 
His voice dropped even lower, almost to a growl. “Your presence is expected at the wedding, since you accepted Yashita's gift in front of witnesses.”
 
Shit. Kagome closed her eyes, counted to ten, then looked him right in the eye. “Is that an order, sir?”
 
Sessaki's gaze turned slightly yellow as it narrowed. “Yes.”
 
“Yashita will be able to tell you when there is a break in the mission. If that break coincides with the wedding, I will make an appearance. However, with all due respect, you must know that your order won't mean squat if I'm on the other side of Honshu, covered in miasma and tentacles…. ”
 
“You have a responsibility to this House…”
 
Kagome's eyes snapped silver, and the aura reappeared. “My responsibility is to the mission, and my loyalty is to Inuyasha. I thought I made it clear that I cannot have any distractions.”
 
Kogashu grabbed her arm, incredulous. “Kagome, he's your mate! He's been waiting…”
 
A pair of flinty steel-grey eyes bored into his. “Trust me, I am more than aware of how long he has been waiting…he will just have to suck it up and deal with it for however long this mission lasts.” Kogashu let go of her, slowly sitting back on his cushion, expression thoughtful. Kagome met him look for look, then glanced at Sessaki, whose face was unreadable. “My heart can't be divided…that is a weakness, and I can't have any when facing Naraku. I accepted Yashita's engagement gift last night as a sign of good will and intent…but that is all. I believe he understands that. Neither of you should have any problem with what is essentially our business.”
 
“Yeah, but you won't have to deal with him.”
 
She flashed a wry smile at the wolf prince. “You've had much more practise than me at this point.”
 
“Kogashu, take Higurashi to the dojo. Dismissed.”
 
Kagome leapt to her feet, and executed a precise bow to Sessaki before whirling to leave the office. She was buckling her boots, ignoring Nekajo's grumblings, when Kogashu poked her in the shoulder. “Mutt-face is going to develop a complex if he keeps losing to the pup…”
 
She shot him a cool look, before straightening and shoving her sword through the obi. “You were able to get over losing to Inuyasha yourself; so will he…let's go, sensei. I still have a few issues with your younger self that I'd like to discuss over a sharp blade.”
 
His answering smile was dark and wolfish. “Okay, Higurashi…you're on.”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
After a quick stop at the Armoury where Shimano supplied her with two black gis and hakama, followed by a detour into the office to change out of her white and red outfit, Kagome strode after Kogashu as he moved quickly down the corridor. The cadets flattened themselves against the walls, saluting as they passed, until they stood in front of the massive sliding doors of one of the tournament dojos. Kagome detected low levels of spiritual power, which made her wonder a bit, forming a protective layer on the outside wall as Kogashu shoved the door open. “This room has been covered in magical wards, so you can let off as much steam as you want without causing little old youkai to have heart attacks. They're still taking calls over that blast you let loose yesterday. Sessaki didn't smell very singed…”
 
“I fainted instead of frying him.” She stepped inside, and helped him slide the door closed, then moved to take down a practise sword, replacing it on the brackets with Fenikkusuken. Doing a few warm-up exercises, she watched Kogashu sight down a couple of wooden katana before choosing one. Something occurred to her that made her grin. “Since you don't have any Jewel shards, maybe I have a decent shot at you!”
 
“Don't count on it, princess…I'm still at least a hundred times faster than you. Start by doing the Imperial kenjutsu kata…see if you can keep your power restrained to the near vicinity.”
 
Kagome composed herself, and stepped into the graceful movements. Kogashu watched in awe as the ribbons appeared, first spiralling around her, then widened and finally enveloped her slender form with sheer silver flames licking the ceiling and causing sparks where they contacted the barrier. Kagome paused at the end, panting, and he saw her silver eyes narrow as they locked on him. Carefully, he angled towards her, noting that the wooden sword she held was glowing slightly. “Kagome? Can you see me? Do you know it's me?” She nodded, squinting.
 
“You're pretty blurry, but I can see your ugly mug…crap…now there's two of you…that's definitely not an improvement…”
 
He paused; the intensity of that silver stare was a bit unnerving. “What?”
 
She shook her head. “I thought I saw something…hmmm, maybe not…anyways, what do you want to try first?”
 
He grinned. “Let's see if you can hit me, princess…how come you're not falling over?”
 
Kagome was watching him move intently, her vision blurring then clearing, as the silver spiralled in and out of her eyes. “I'm not sure, exactly. I've never been able to hold this for so long without passing out or trying to kill somebody…maybe not zapping Sessaki yesterday flipped a switch or something.” She shook her head, clearing the final wisps of fog from her vision, her eyes more grey than silver.
 
He eyed the sheer silver flames licking up the black legs of her gi. “Maybe it did…shall we have a go, princess?”
 
Kagome crouched, the flames shooting higher as silver rimmed her irises. “You first, wolfling…”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Well, Kogashu didn't half kill me, Kagome thought, as she soaked in the tub after dinner. He three-quarters killed me, the bugger. She ached in muscles she didn't remember she had; six nearly straight hours of sword fighting interspersed with fainting spells had turned her arms and legs to rubber and bruised her on her shoulders and hips. She'd seized up while commuting home with Shimano, and had entertained Sota with an impressive litany of creative curses when he helped her up the stairs to her bedroom. Kagome discovered that Shimano and her mother were deeply in cahoots; Shimano took the kids to school; her mother picked them up and helped them with their homework until Shimano arrived from the Academy. Apparently Akagane's little brothers were quite the terrors…Kagome wondered if the young vixen's concealment spell would be up to withstanding close scrutiny by Inuyasha.
 
Out of the bath and in her pyjamas, Kagome tottered over to her window and made sure it was unlocked, then paused, tracing the paths of fat raindrops as they chased each other down the glass, rolling the fat pouch of Jewel shards between her fingers. She peered towards the Goshinboku, dimly visible against the sky, branches tossing wildly in the storm.
 
I wonder how much snow the village has already?
Too bad you couldn't requisition a backhoe.
Oh, you're back, are you?
Dear, I never left. `Fennie' went AWOL.
Why didn't you say something?
You never asked me…although, I probably wouldn't have said anything, either. It was better that you heard it straight from the dog's mouth.
It's going to be so hard to keep all this straight…
You were smart enough to figure it out. I'll bet your face was a picture when `Sesshomaru' walked in
He's lucky I didn't piddle on his tatami mats. But Yashita…what am I going to do?
Kiss him when you can, but don't let the pup catch you.
P-pardon me?!
It's the same pair of ears, dear.
And very fine ears they are, indeed… but it isn't quite that simple! I mean, I'll be mated to him…them…oh, fuck!
Yashita has centuries of pent-up tension, just waiting for release
Gaaah! You're going to the sixth hell for sure, just for that thought…you're supposed to be the sensible, cool-headed, voice of reason that gets me out of things like this…
Sorry, dear…you're on your own in these uncharted waters.
Yeah, a romantic Bermuda Triangle…why do I hear the music from `The Twilight Zone' echoing through my head?
At least it isn't the theme from `Titanic'.
 
Kagome turned from the window, returned the shards to the front of her cuirass, and carefully sat down on the floor up against her bed, staring at the ornate ceremonial kimono on its stand, now minus the gaudy gold-and-violet obi. The girl sighed, and rested her head on her knees, the mere action causing all sorts of muscles to protest. It had been hell for the last two days, and she still had to figure out what she was going to tell Inuyasha about her `research', as well as brave whatever he wanted to talk about. Kagome groaned. Even her brain hurt. I don't know if I can cope with fending off the same horny dog demon in two different centuries… She knew she was supposed to be at the village, waiting for Inuyasha like she promised, but her muscles were aching and her spirits were as damp as the weather outside. Kagome pulled herself up onto her bed, and curled up, hoping that she could get some much needed sleep before the cycle started all over again at 0630 the next morning.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
A very tired, very wet and very hungry hanyou hauled himself up over the lip of the well very late that night, and groaned when he heard the rain drumming down on the tiled roof above his head. At least it ain't that frozen shit, he thought, as he slid open the door and contemplated dashing for the darkened house. His eye tracked up to Kagome's bedroom window, but then he glanced down at his soaking wet clothing and decided he didn't need to be `sat' for wrecking the carpet. The front door it is
 
Kagome sat bolt upright in bed when she heard the door rattle open, her muscles screaming in protest and her heart thudding. Then she felt a familiar youkai, and painfully crawled out of bed. Mrs. Higurashi was pulling on a winter yukata as she bustled past the bewildered girl in the hallway. “Inuyasha has arrived, dear…get him cleaned up, and I'll warm up the noodles and dumplings for him.”
 
“Mom…how did you know…?”
 
“Someone may have mentioned something, and you said it would be a couple of days before he arrived…of course he'd come straight through the well to see you, even if it was the middle of the night.” She scooted down the stairs and nearly bumped into the sopping hanyou. “There you are!” She handed him a towel, as if this was an everyday happening. “Take off those wet things in the laundry room, wrap up in the towel and Kagome will run the shower for you…dinner will be ready when you come out. Try not to wake up Sota or Ojii-chan, all right?”
 
“Thanks, okaa-san!” Inuyasha watched her disappear into the kitchen, then looked up at Kagome, as she hesitated on the stairs. A broad smile lit up his face, and then he blurred, until he had a hand tangled in her hair as he kissed her very thoroughly without touching the rest of her with his wet clothes. “Oi, wench…miss me?”
 
Kagome cupped his face in her palms, smiling wistfully at her hanyou, her heart full to bursting. “You have no idea how much, Inuyasha…c'mon, the ramen will be ready before you are.” He bounded agilely back down the stairs and disappeared. She toddled into the bathroom and began running the shower; Inuyasha observed her from the door, noticing that she moved very stiffly and even painfully.
 
“Kagome? What happened to you?” A thousand possible responses roared through her mind and she stiffened. “You weren't…hurt…while I was away? Your heart was racing pretty good a few times there…” Relaxing, she was able to laugh a bit.
 
“No… well, my ego was badly bruised…just the extra-intense training I've been given. Okay…shuck it and get in. I'll bring you something to wear…hey, let me get out first, dog-boy!” Smirking broadly, the hanyou deliberately blocked her exit as he sashayed towards her, holding the towel around his waist in one hand, the other held wide to prevent her from dodging around him. Kagome stayed rooted in place until he was chest to chest with her. He dropped the towel and caught her in an open-mouthed, hip-grinding kiss that left her breathless, then casually continued on his way into the shower stall. Kagome stood stock still until her brain kicked into gear and she clumsily shot out the door, Inuyasha snickering gleefully behind her.
 
She rooted through her cupboard for the fleeces Shimano gave her yesterday. Finally locating them still in the bag under her desk, she shook them out and dropped them off inside the bathroom door, then wobbled downstairs to join her mother in the kitchen.
 
“What time is it?”
 
“You should go back to bed. Inuyasha will come up when he's finished eating.”
 
“But then I have to crawl back up the stairs, mom…and I just got here!”
 
“You won't have enough sleep to cope with whatever Kogashu is going to throw at you tomorrow…off you go. I'll help you up the stairs…” They had just reached the bottom of the flight when Inuyasha loomed out of the darkness at the top, shaking water out of his ears. Kagome inhaled sharply. In those dark clothes, his hair loose, he looked just like… the hanyou grinned down at them before lightly landing beside Kagome.
 
“Keh! Need some help, koishii?” Before she could reply, he scooped her up and cleared the distance, then carried her into her bedroom. He laid her down, and tucked her in before kissing her forehead. “I'll be back in a minute…” Kagome listened to the muffled voices as the hanyou and her mother chatted quietly in the kitchen, and didn't really notice when she dozed off despite being worried what she was going to say…
 
She woke up when a solid weight eased onto the bed beside her. “Sorry, koishii… here, I'll take the wall…” and she found herself being cradled against a bare chest. Part of her brain wanted to protest, but the other part encouraged her to rub her cheek against soft skin and hard muscles, and she would rather listen to the latter rather than the former. She did jump a little when her fingertips brushed over bare skin instead of fleece pants at his hip, and then it became entirely obvious that a completely naked hanyou was under the blankets with her. When she started fussing, he merely began massaging the back of her neck with a large hand and purring softly. He let loose a yawn that she knew without looking showed off all his fangs and nuzzled his face into her hair. “Damn funny thing, Kagome…Arashi found her way home to the village all by herself. We found her tied to a tree just outside the sutra barrier; all your stuff was there.”
 
Kagome was startled. “I can't believe I forgot all about her! Man, what kind of a responsible owner am I…”
 
“You had quite a bit on your mind at the time…anyways, no harm done, and she's back home…”
 
“But why was she tied to a tree? She could've walked through the barrier…”
 
He yawned again. “Keh! No idea…”
 
Sighing, she coiled a stray strand of silver around her finger. “What are you going to do tomorrow?”
 
He started massaging her scalp with one set of claws while curving his other hand over her hip and sliding it up her ribs, under her top, halting in the warmth of her armpit, his thumb sweeping over softer skin. “Prob'ly go shovel out the village while it's light, keep the runt and the houshi from annoying Kaede and Sango, do a perimeter check…come home to you. What'r you gonna do?”
 
“Learn how to control my sword, I hope.” She slid one hand over his hip and splayed it over the small of his back, nestling closer to him, one leg inching towards draping over his, and noticing that she felt entirely comfortable with the whole situation. I wonder if I'll ever feel like this with Yashita
 
“Mmmm…g'night, koishii…it's good to be home with you again. I really missed you, and it was damn cold and wet...”
 
“I missed you, too.” Greatly daring, she kissed the warm skin closest to her lips and had a brief fantasy about taking her own top off, but squelched it hurriedly, since she had no doubt as to the outcome of that activity. Besides, her arms were so sore, she wasn't sure she could get it off anyways…
 
“Okaa-san told me what time you have to be up in the morning, so just relax and let me hold you, `kay? We can talk tomorrow…” He kissed her forehead and snuggled her closer, then promptly fell fast asleep. Kagome bumped her nose on the rosary, shifted a bit… carefully keeping her hands to herself…and very soon had been lulled into a deep sleep by the sound of his heart and the rhythm of his breathing.
 
She knew that right now, without a doubt, this was the hanyou for her.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
A/N: Akagane means `copper'…just keeping the family names within the metallurgical realm (Shippo=silver, Kogane=gold), at least according to the on-line dictionary I use…