InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Phoenix Blade: Time Lapse ❯ Training Day ( Chapter 31 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: Don't own…don't sue. Probably should be spanked, considering what I'm doing to them…
 
A/N: Lemon fluff warning! End of chapter unsuitable for younger readers…it ain't rated M for nothing. No complaints that you weren't warned!
 
Trying to imagine what Yashita looks like, now that he's sporting a braid and bangs? Think `Duo Maxwell' from Gundam Wing.
 
The current Emperor of Japan's birthday is celebrated officially on December 23rd, if tracking this timeline is important to you.
 
The Phoenix Blade: Time Lapse
Chapter 31: Training Day
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Present Day
 
Evening of the next day
 
“So, wench, what did you find out when you came back?”
 
Kagome paused, her mug at her lips, then slowly sipped the hot tea while she composed herself. “I found out that we have very strong allies against Naraku. Please don't ask me to tell you who it is, or how they know about us, but I know we can trust them.”
 
The hanyou, dressed in the Academy's fleeces, stretched luxuriously on the living room floor and yawned widely. He'd spent most of the day shovelling snow, and was looking forward to another night in a warm bed…after okaa-san's dinner, the very smell of which was making his mouth water in a most embarrassing manner. He yawned again, giving Kagome a great view of his fangs. “If you trust `em, then that's good enough for me…although I wonder how come your outfit looks exactly like the guards' armour at my father's fortress…”
 
Kagome nearly dropped her tea, and nervously glanced at Inuyasha to see if he'd registered that, but he was already dozing. Whew…she thought, steadying her hand, and wincing at the complaint registered by her muscles at the sudden movement. Kogashu hadn't pulled any punches again that day, and she was in even more pain. Briefly, she wondered if he was under orders to thump her into submission over her refusal to take on an official role…
 
She admired the hanyou's sleeping face, softened and young-looking without his usual smirk or sneer plastered all over it. He never slept like this except here, in her house, where he felt safest. Carefully setting down her mug and even more carefully crawling over to him (mainly because her muscles were screaming in protest at any movement), Kagome laid down, nestling her head against the firm muscles of his stomach, and closed her eyes.
 
Mrs. Higurashi came in ten minutes later to see her daughter and the hanyou curled together like a pair of puppies. He cracked one amber eye as she touched his shoulder.
 
“Time for dinner, you two sleepyheads...”
 
“Thanks, okaa-san.” He rolled both of them up to sitting, Kagome grumbling about the sudden change in position, but quite happy to be carried into the kitchen instead of walking there herself. After they ate, and Kagome made a heroic attempt at keeping her eyes open for conversation at the table, her mother just laughed and told Inuyasha to put her to bed. The hanyou carried her upstairs and deposited her in the bathroom to brush her teeth, then he disappeared down the hall. Kagome paused at the top of the stairs to call down her `good nights' and then was nearly knocked off her feet by a bottle-brush-tailed Buyo, who had obviously just been evicted. Suddenly very wary, she sidled down the hall, and cautiously poked her head around the doorframe.
 
By the dim light of her bedside lamp, she saw that Inuyasha was already in her bed, one arm thrown up over his head in a comfortable manner, silver hair spread across the pillow and trailing over the side…and the fleeces were on the floor. Both top and bottom. He waggled his ears at her. “C'mon, Kagome…I promise I won't bite. I'm not a neko-youkai…” She closed the door carefully after her, and leaned against it.
 
“Um…Inuyasha? I don't know if my mom would be comfortable with…”
 
“Keh! She's fine with it. I talked to her about it last night.” That nearly put her on the floor…INUYASHA talked to her mother about SEX? He chuckled at the look on her face, and sat up, holding out his hand. “I told her that you'd accepted me, in front of witnesses…she knows that I chose you a while ago. She doesn't mind if we share a bed…and here, we don't have to worry about the houshi or the runt bugging us.” Kagome felt very faint, and managed to grope her way over to her desk chair before collapsing into it, staring at the hanyou. He gave her a slow, seductive smile, his eyes so dark they were bronze and began sliding over towards the side of the bed closest to her, the blankets first bunching up around his waist, then falling away when he stood up.
 
Momentarily taken aback by the X-rated vision moving towards her, virtually at eye-level, Kagome found her muscles responding perfectly as she sprang upright and found herself pulled against Inuyasha's chest. He gently sucked on her lower lip while his hands loosened the sash and pulled her robe off her shoulders. Letting it fall to the floor, he walked her backwards until her calves hit the side of the bed. He toppled both of them gently onto the mattress; she found herself nose to nose and chest to chest with him, one elbow bent beside her shoulder to support his weight, the other hand slowly sliding up her side to lightly cup the curve of her breast through her pyjama top. He let go of her long enough to tug the blankets up over them, and then reached to turn out the light, plunging the room into darkness. Kagome couldn't believe how loud her heart was hammering…or that her mother had said this was okay!
 
Inuyasha shifted down her body and snuggled under her chin. She found herself nose-deep in silver bangs, the tip of one ear tickling under her jaw and the other one making her go cross-eyed by flicking through her dimly-lit visual field, as he settled himself alongside her hip, one muscled leg making friends with hers, his free hand slowly moving up and down her body, purring deep in his throat all the while. While part of her was more than a little bit taken aback, most of her was relaxing under him like this was perfectly normal. His lips pressed against her collarbone, then he whispered, “Relax, koishii…all your mom said is we should be discreet if we chose to mate here. It'll be your call when we do, okay?” There was a few moments of silence, during which Kagome felt like purring herself, enjoying the way his hand soothed her in long, slow stokes. She was nearly asleep when his voice rumbled against her breast.
 
Koishii…what does `discreet' mean?”
 
Ba-da-bum. “In your case, no howling.”
 
“Keh! Where's the fun in that?”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Two weeks later
 
Akagane had been cleared for her concealment spell, and since the shorter winter days meant Inuyasha was more often than not already at the shrine when Mrs. Higurashi arrived home from school with the teens, they spent a fair bit of time with the hanyou, who wore the Academy fleeces and a bandanna when they were around. Akagane complimented him on his amber eyes and silver hair the first day; he'd blushed and muttered his dad wasn't native to the area, and they'd left it at that. Of course, there had been much giggling in the car the next morning, at successfully hoodwinking the hanyou. Kagome found out that Sota had seen Akagane in her unconcealed form a couple of days previously, and he assured his sister that the vixen was `normal-looking'. Sometimes she wondered if her family really had a good grasp of what `normal' was…
 
Akagane wasn't just normal-looking, actually. Kagome asked to see her unconcealed self in the car one morning, and the girl blushed, but complied. She was extremely pretty, with strawberry-blonde hair, bright green eyes and dainty pointed ears. Shimano's chest puffed out when Kagome complimented his daughter on her good looks, and Sota had flushed a rather vivid shade of red as well, especially later that night, when his big sister pointed out that Akagane was `hot'.
 
The hanyou made a habit of sitting with the teens in the kitchen, actively listening and taking part while they did their homework. Sota told Kagome once when Inuyasha was taking a snooze that her inu-youkai was actually pretty damn smart; she'd retorted that well, duh, she didn't just love him for his good looks alone, and then she'd had to bribe Sota not to repeat that to the hanyou. Kagome had her revenge when Inuyasha told Sota later that same night he thought Akagane was `mate material'; Sota had turned as red as a certain haori, much to Kagome's glee. I wonder if Sota realizes how much of an `older woman' she really is
 
Kagome had to admit, she was enjoying having a hanyou in her life. Bed, too. There was nothing quite like your own personal space heater on those really cold nights, with built in massaging action after a day of dodging hits from a hyperactive wolf youkai. Inuyasha hadn't quite convinced her to make her pyjamas optional, but his hands certainly wandered wherever they wanted, without her discouraging him…very often. His favourite position was to spoon himself against her back, slip one arm under her neck and rest the other hand on her belly under her pyjamas, spreading his fingers until he could touch her short curls and her navel at the same time. She usually woke up in the morning with that same hand under her pyjama top, cupping a bare breast; after the first couple of days, she gave up complaining and just admitted it felt rather nice. Kagome knew that the day, or night, was coming soon where she wouldn't care if Kikyo sat right beside them and watched… maybe. It was, however, coming to the point that she wondered if she could go to sleep by herself without his heart thumping gently against her back or under her ear, in perfect time with her own.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Inuyasha had begun grouching heartily about the Academy's definition of `days off'.
 
When they were in the village, there was snow to be shovelled, patients to be visited, sutras to be renewed, food to be distributed (regular shipments of rice, dried vegetables, fish and animal feed arrived courtesy of the Academy, and had to be transported through the well), animals exercised, water hauled from the river, firewood split…and the occasional demon defeated. Two in the course of the last week alone, as it happened. Inuyasha always wanted to practise his `Wind Scar', so there wasn't much for the rest of them to do. Sango grumpily bopped the hanyou with the Hiraikotsu after the last demon vaporised, and made him promise she could have the next one.
 
On top of that, Kagome was expected to keep up Sango's fitness level by sparring with her every afternoon of the three days, too. Shimano gave her a couple of wooden katanas and a couple of bo to take through the well, and once the snow pack had built up a bit, the boys cleared a combat circle for them out on a frozen rice paddy, stomping straw into the ground for traction. The girls spent most afternoons going at it hammer and tongs, unless it was snowing too heavily, usually for an audience of villagers…
 
“A half-dozen on the slayer!”
 
“I'll see your half, and double it! A dozen on the Protector!”
 
“Looks like your supporters are out in full force today, Kagome.”
 
“At least they're betting with eggs, instead of throwing them… Any chance you'll go easy on me?”
 
“Forget it, Protector…I'm not feeling particularly merciful.”
 
“Oh, crap… you pissed at the houshi again? Maybe it's time you worked him over instead of me…”
 
“Why, Kagome-sama…I would indeed be pleased to be worked over by the lovely slayer-sama…as long as she promised to use her bare hands…”
 
Sango glared at the innocent-visaged monk, and made a face. “I'll bet you'd like to try hand-to-hand combat with me…”
 
“A private lesson would be most welcome, sama… anytime.” Miroku slumped gently over in the snow, the leer still in place as his eyes rolled up. Kagome glanced at him as she limbered up. “Geez, Sango…he didn't even grope you…I don't know if it's safe for me to do this…”
 
“Quit whining…let's go!”
 
Then, after Sango took out her aggressions on her, she had to come back to `work' and submit to being thumped by Kogashu on a steady basis. She was no closer to calling up her sword's power on demand, despite the impressive array of scorch marks now decorating the walls and ceiling of the dojo that marked more than a few unsuccessful attempts. Inuyasha was grumpy because this gruelling schedule usually had her sound asleep within minutes of landing in a bed on either side of the well…not exactly conducive to his plans to mate her as thoroughly as possible.
 
A very wicked grin had crossed his face when she told him he could do anything he wanted to her, so long as he didn't wake her up…she had been joking, but sometimes she woke up in the morning feeling a little damp in odd places, like the backs of her knees, or in the crooks of her elbows, like she'd been licked...
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
She'd swallowed a few feelings of awkwardness to keep in touch with Yashita; on the pretext of asking him a question, she stopped by his office one afternoon on the way to the dojo. He was giving his subordinate a stack of paperwork when she poked her head around the doorframe. Kagome had to admit, he did look very attractive in his camouflage fatigues…more like her Inuyasha, just in a New-Moon-type colour palette. No silk in sight…The smile he gave her was bittersweet, but welcoming. The junior officer, however, gave her a wide grin and a respectful bow before he ducked around her and out. “May I come in?” she asked, hesitating.
 
“Of course…what can I do for you?” There was a wealth of unspoken longing behind those words; Kagome squelched her instinctive inclination to go to him, to smooth away the sad look in his eyes.
 
“I was just wondering…if demons and their mates have matching life spans, why didn't your mother die at the same time as your father?”
 
He shuffled papers. “She remained alive because of me…but she wasn't the same after his death. Once I could fend for myself, she slipped away to join him.”
 
Kagome bit her lip, and her fingers began to worry the sleeve of her gi. “I guess…it's the same reason why your dad stayed alive after Sessaki's mother passed on…he had a pup to look after.”
 
He shoved the papers into a folder with more force than was necessary; Kagome saw his shoulders stiffen. She sighed, and turned to leave. “Thanks for telling me. I can't help but think, though, that the well severing the connection between us may have saved your life, since we didn't have pups…”
 
“Kagome…” He used his speed to cut her off; his arm blocked the doorway at her eye level. She faced him, hesitated a moment, then reached out and smoothed the flaps of his jacket pockets, straightened his collar, patted down his epaulette straps, all without meeting his eyes. His fingers reached for her cheek, paused, clenched, then fell back to his side. She laid her fingertips lightly on the back of his hand, the skin-on-skin contact sending little flutters through her heart…and his too, from the way his hand trembled.
 
“This is going to be hard, Yash…but I can't be thinking of the `happily ever after' while I'm still learning how to defeat the dragon. That could be deadly.”
 
Yashita's fingers curled around hers, and he raised her hand to his lips, turning it over to kiss her palm, cradling it against his face. Kagome closed her eyes, smiling softly. “Are you…very upset that I won't take an official role?'
 
He continued nuzzling her palm. “I understand why you don't want to…but, koishii, please spend some time with me when you can? Sometimes I think I'll go insane without at least catching your scent every few days.”
 
Kagome eyed him thoughtfully. “Scent is really important to mated pairs?”
 
“After the well closed, it was a nightmare…”
 
She had smiled suddenly, caressed his cheek, and pulled away, reaching back for her hair. “I have just the thing for you…”
 
There had already been a flurry of comment among the cadets over the new hairstyle their sensei was sporting, but that was nothing compared to the furor the next day, when word got around that ammo-eating, tough-as-nails Sensei Yashita had a strip of not-even-close-to-regulation jaunty red silk decorating the buttonhole of his breast pocket…
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Three weeks later
 
“Koga-roo-a-doo-a-shoo, I don't think repeatedly kicking my ass into the middle of next week is going to help me with this sword issue…even though it's doing awesome things for my girlish figure.” Kagome cocked her head slightly, trying to decide if the scorch mark she was gazing at on the dojo ceiling looked more like a whale… or a rabbit. She was sprawled on her back on the edge of the combat circle, her katana about ten feet away, after losing yet another bruising round of sword work against Kogashu. They had given up using wooden swords when Kagome exploded three, one after the other, from the excessive power she was channelling into them.
 
“I agree, princess…don't quite know what to do about it, though.” She twisted her head farther so she could just see the wolf demon on the other side of the room. They were halfway through the third week of her training, and frustration levels were high, not to mention Kagome had discovered new levels of pain tolerance due to the effects of duelling with a full-blooded demon that didn't pull his punches…very much. He hadn't quite put her in the infirmary, but it was getting harder to keep Inuyasha from storming in and ripping his arm off. Kagome grinned at that mental image, knowing that Kogashu didn't stand a chance without his shards…
 
The dojo door slid open, and she raised her head enough to glimpse Sessaki's topknot. “Yo, sir.” She tossed off a salute before resting her head back against the floor. She was aware of the demon crossing the room and seating himself on the edge of the combat circle; his youkai was rather active. “Y'know, being flat on my back in the same vicinity as you seems to be becoming a bit of a habit…” Kogashu sniggered, but wisely kept his mouth closed. When that didn't get a rise out of the taiyoukai, Kagome slowly rolled up onto her side, and from there to sitting, wincing, wondering if maybe the wolf had finally cracked her rib. “I've been thinking…”
 
“Wondered what was burning…”
 
“…that Ayame might appreciate early widowhood. Midoriko told me something that may have a bearing…”
 
“You converse with the dead?” Sessaki arched a fine eyebrow.
 
“Yup. Complete conversations with insults and everything…”
 
“You were dropped on your head a few too many times, princess.”
 
“At least I have a brain to addle, wolf. Anyways, she told me to watch my temper, because if I lost it, then the `demon would take control'…Yashita didn't tell you?”
 
Sessaki's other eyebrow crept up towards his hairline, and Kagome barely stifled a snicker when she detected him sniffing discreetly in her direction, and then wrinkling his nose. She smirked a bit, then smoothed her face innocently when he spoke. “You reek like a hanyou, yet are none…I believe he mentioned that you spoke to the priestess.”
 
“To briefly recap then, from having the Jewel inside my flesh for twenty years, some of the demonic power leached out into my system, just as the spiritual did. It's the reason why I can use Fenikkusuken, why I heal up a bit faster than normal, and why I have more spiritual power than Kikyo.”
 
“Hm.”
 
“I can only flip the switch, it seems, when I'm threatened.”
 
“Hmm.”
 
“I tried sparring with Inuyasha, but Tetsusaiga didn't like going up against Fenikkusuken. Now I know why…father-son thing.” Kagome heaved herself to her feet, using her scabbard as a brace, left her katana where it lay and schlepped across the dojo towards the water bottles, detouring around Sessaki. She was about to take a swig, when a very evil thought crossed her mind. Glancing at the immobile taiyoukai, carefully gauging the distance between him and her sword, calculating the trajectory, she casually held out the scabbard. “Fenikkusuken…Come!”
 
She was internally delighted when Sessaki threw himself sideways as the sword flashed past the vicinity of his right ear to slip gently into the sheath. “Ooops! Forgive me, sir…brain fart…” The fiery glare she received could have melted basalt; it was balm to her aching muscles. She went back to acquiring a drink; she missed the calculating look Sessaki gave her as she turned around.
 
“Demonstrate the Imperial kata.”
 
“Sure. Like I haven't fallen over enough times today…” Sighing, Kagome walked to the centre of the combat circle, composed herself, and began the ancient movements. She forgot Sessaki's keen eye as she spun through the cycles of step-slash-lunge-block, the silver flames spiralling up to the ceiling, sparks showering down to the floor. Her sword carved the air, its high-pitched keening clearly audible to both demons…and then abruptly, its tone changed as she swept it through the final elements.
 
She paused, silver eyes flashing, as she looked right at them, not through them.
 
Sessaki rose and moved towards the wall, his eyes flickering yellow. Kagome watched him intently, muscles tense, trembling a little, but stopping herself from either running like hell or going after him by only a supreme force of will. His youkai pushed her to run; her internal voice was screaming for her to attack. A flash of movement in front of her focussed her attention…and not a moment too soon.
 
Kogashu…blue eyes flashing, fangs bared, claws outstretched…and Kagome yelled, swung her sword in an imperfect block, but he back-pedalled rapidly out of range. The wolf came at her again, and she reacted with a slashing blow that nearly took him across the chest as he flew overhead. Spinning, the girl went after him, until he pulled up and there was a clash of steel that sent sparks flying. Kagome dashed out of Kogashu's attack zone, gasping. “What the fuck? Have you finally lost it?” She crouched, lined up her katana, and waited…
 
Sessaki's deep voice broke through her concentration. “What do you see, Higurashi?”
 
“One rabid wolf youkai.” Panting, blinking rapidly, cursing her blurring vision, Kagome tensed as Kogashu charged at her again. This time…oh, this time…she held her swing until the last moment, and the wolf shouted hoarsely as her sword sliced through his sleeve, tracing a sizzling red line across his arm. Sweet
 
“Use your eyes, girl…what do you see?” Partially deafened by Sessaki's roar, Kagome flinched…but then Kogashu sprang again, and she slashed to block another rush, the impact spinning both of them in opposite directions across the wooden floor. The power pouring out of the girl surrounded her with a whirling silver veil, making the very air crackle with energy. Suddenly, she went still, intent, power wrapping tightly around her, coiling, waiting.
 
I saw it!” Kagome screamed, and dropped into an attack stance. Lips peeled back to bare his fangs, Kogashu snarled and launched himself at her…and couldn't dodge a strike aimed at his chest; he went careening into the wall with a painful crack that could only mean something broken. Kagome whirled to face Sessaki, her body tense, sword glowing. Her irises were purest shining silver…but her pupils were normal, and she was fully aware, all her senses more alert than she could ever remember.
 
What do you see?” he asked, carefully scanning the girl's face.
 
Kagome curved a crooked, dangerous-looking smile. Her silver eyes were locked on the taiyoukai, but there was no blankness, no sign of her being unaware of her surroundings. Her voice was chillingly clipped. “I can see my opponent's moves… read them, and anticipate them.”
 
Sessaki relaxed visibly. “You have discovered your battle-sight…finally.”
 
“Battle-sight?” She held still for a moment, watching him narrowly.
 
“A quality of the finest warriors…yours is enhanced by the demon-trace of the Jewel, as is your speed.”
 
“The double-vision… it made me dizzy until I blacked out…”
 
“The blurred sight was created by your ability to see the energy of your opponent's body directing itself…and trying to track your enemy's movements caused stress within your mind, as your body adjusted to your heightened senses. Excellent, Higurashi.”
 
She went rigid, and her sword dripped fire. “You two set me up…! Kogashu wasn't really attacking me…”
 
Sessaki smirked the tiniest little smirk. “The wolf may be stupid, but he is not suicidal….” After a scorching glare, Kagome turned to the fallen wolf prince.
 
Shoving her hissing sword back into its sheath, Kagome grumbled her way over to the twitching body. “Can't believe I fell for it…arrogant sons-of-bitches…” She prodded Kogashu with her toe. “Hey, wolfling…hope I didn't hurt you…too much.”
 
He cracked a bleary eye, and winced as several things snapped, crackled, and popped along his spinal column and ribcage. “Something tells me you were holding back slightly, princess…”
 
“Fortunately for you, wolf…or you would undoubtedly be seriously injured. Miko…turn and face me.” The voice dripped ice, taking her five hundred years away in an instant, making the hair on the back of her neck stand up. Slowly, she straightened, pivoted, and paused. Sessaki had removed his haori, and stood in the centre of the combat circle in a white kosode and dark hakama. He shimmered for a moment, releasing his top-knot until the silver tumbled to his knees, his markings blazed against his skin, and his fingertips began to glow faintly green.
 
Fuck.
 
Now, miko…” Sessaki fully loosed his youkai, and it roiled towards her, overpowering her senses temporarily. She threw up a barrier over herself and Kogashu, to give her time to think and to protect him from whatever was going to happen. Sessaki, with a supremely disinterested expression, sent an energy whip lazily cracking in her direction. The barrier held; Kogashu poked her in the leg.
 
“Hope you can find that silver-eyed fiend inside you…he's serious.”
 
No shit…but, he can't kill me, or the `flow of time' will be majorly screwed…hmmm.” Kagome closed her eyes, for a brief moment, to focus herself…and found her sword. She had a brief mental image of a smirking salt-and-pepper-haired, pointy-eared demon, slouching against an equally imaginary rock wall.
 
Relax, sweetheart…I'm here.
Nice timing!
I'm noted for that…now, let's do this
Where the hell have you been?
Never mind that now…we have a taiyoukai to spank.
You're not going to run out on me again?
Are you kidding? Wouldn't miss this shit for anything…time to power-up, darlin'…
 
Kagome felt a pulse of energy from the sword hilt; she drew it in a blazing arc, red and green coils whirling, blade glowing. Power surged up her arm, through her chest and from there rushed into the rest of her body like a current of fire.
 
Drop the barrier…you don't need it.
 
Sessaki started when the shimmering barrier vanished and the fiery girl stepped out, haloed by leaping flames…and for the briefest moment, a spectral canine head towered over her, eyes glittering. Hadn't seen that in a while…He twitched his wrist, and a whip snaked at her…
 
Watch his eyes…they'll show you where he's aiming the strike…
 
…and she parried it, actually slicing the energy stream in half. Sessaki blinked.
 
Good shot, itoshii! Keep an eye on the little snot
 
This went on for a few more moments, Sessaki attacking, Kagome defending, Fenikkusuken calmly issuing instructions, until in a blurred strike that she almost dodged, the demon dove at her and used the flat of his hand to knock her nearly across the dojo. Cursing, she recovered, and took off in the other direction, nearly missing another hit, but he adjusted his swing and caught her with a glancing blow that spun her into the wall. He alighted in the centre of the circle, unruffled, imperturbable, while Kagome heaved oxygen and felt a surge of pure fury run wild in her veins. Bastard…he's batting me around like a cat with a mouse
 
Kogashu, for his part, was wide-eyed at the speed Kagome was demonstrating. To him, Sessaki was nearly invisible when he moved…and Kagome… was rather blurred. Could the Jewel really be responsible…?
 
“On your feet, miko. You are truly pathetic.”
 
Kagome, silver eyes glinting dangerously, slowly rose, wiping a trickle of blood off her lip where she had nearly bitten through it and flicking the droplet to the side. “All right, you arrogant prick…now I'm pissed off.” She straightened, and stalked across to the combat circle. Sessaki had to stop himself from taking a step backwards, when the silver flames instantly appeared…but instead of roaring up towards the ceiling, they thickened and wrapped around her form… a layer of shimmering armour. Through the open neckline of her black gi, her cuirass began to glow, illuminating the kanji of the sutras.
 
Release me into the sword, sweetheart…I will protect you.
 
Without truly conscious thought, more instinctive motion, Kagome extended Fenikkusuken out to the side, flicking her wrist…and the katana exploded into a flaming torch. The girl lined up her sword while lowering herself into a crouch, silver spiralling around her, eyes glowing, gave an unpleasant smirk…and charged at the waiting taiyoukai.
 
Sessaki coolly flipped up and out of her way…but she saw him move, and the tip of her sword tracked his flight Only his superior reflexes saved him from getting a blade through the thigh as she flew past him and then skidded to a stop, those predatory silver eyes locked on him. He lashed an energy whip at her; she threw up a barrier to block it, then came at him again. Sessaki went airborne, and was astonished when the girl launched vertically off the floor and swung at him. He easily dodged, and struck her in the shoulder; she somehow managed to get her feet under her and skated backwards across the floor, stabilizing herself with her left hand.
 
Now give him a taste…just a little one…don't want the roof coming down.
 
Kagome narrowed, focussed, and tracked her target, who was hovering about ten feet off the floor, coiling an energy whip. With a shout, she raced on a curving trajectory, aimed her katana…and let go a burst. The recoil knocked her off course, but she skidded to a stop before the wall, grinning triumphantly at the closest she'd probably ever get to nailing Sessaki.
 
He'd avoided the main blast, of course, but she'd crisped at least the bottom six inches of his hair, and put a spectacular scorch mark on the wall and ceiling. The taiyoukai was rather upset, but the only sign of it was the clenching of his jaw. Fenikkusuken was chortling with glee.
 
Beauty of a shot, sweetheart. That ought to give him something to think about.
 
Kogashu wished that Yashita was here to see this. Kagome was like a whole different being…he flinched when she landed an arm's length away after another airborne attempt, shouted something breathtakingly rude, and launched herself back across the dojo, changing the angle of her charge at the last moment to compensate for Sessaki's aerial redirection. She didn't manage to hit him, but she was having a hell of a good time trying…and she was rapidly improving in avoiding his retaliation.
 
The match was over a second after that, when Kagome couldn't catch her balance fast enough, and slammed backwards into the wall, striking her head. As the girl slipped down into a limp pile, Sessaki was at her side, probing for a pulse. He was on his feet, dark-haired, and out the door in an instant. Kogashu shoved himself upright and hobbled over to Kagome.
 
It was his extreme bad luck that Yashita stepped through the door at that moment. The hanyou paused, horrified, to see Kagome silent and still in a heap on the floor, the wolf standing over her with a katana in his hand. Yashita didn't register that the barely dissipated youkai belonged to his brother. Before Kogashu knew what had hit him, he was sailing across the dojo with what felt like a broken jaw, and a growling inu-youkai crouching over the fallen girl, his concealment spell gone, ears flat against his head. Yashita dropped to his knees, checking Kagome's pulse. Was she breathing?
 
What the fuck are you playing at, wolf?”
 
Sessaki appeared at the door, peeling the covering off a silk-wrapped bundle in his hand, and releasing a sword from its scabbard. Yashita stared at him, stunned. “She…she's that badly hurt? What in all the hells…?”
 
“Silence.” Sessaki had drawn the sword, when Kagome abruptly sat up, holding the back of her head and glaring fiercely at him.
 
“Dammit! That hurt, you asshole!” Sessaki withdrew several feet, re-sheathing his blade and observing her carefully. The girl blinked at Yashita a few times, then groaned softly, wincing.
 
“Kagome? What happened?” Yashita was tense, ready to…do something. Yell, snarl, attack… kiss, cuddle…whatever.
 
She grimaced. “Your brother challenged me …and I accepted. I lost.”
 
“To your credit, I momentarily forgot that you are not a youkai.”
 
Kagome's mouth fell open at the compliment. Yashita filled the void. “You forgot…!”
 
“The sutras in the cuirass deflected most of the blow…and I believe the sword may have also participated.”
 
You believe I ought to…”
 
“It's okay, Yash…He took me out fair and square…”
 
Kagome sat quietly for a moment…the hit was rather nasty, after all…then felt around for her sword and pushed herself to her feet. Yashita was behind her, his hands steadying her. Kagome squeezed his hand for a moment, before giving herself a good shake, then stepped forward and squared up to the taiyoukai.
 
Yashita caught her shoulders from behind. “Kagome…you can't…you aren't seriously thinking about another round?”
 
“Do you think Naraku will show me any mercy? This is good practise… let's go, Sessaki. My sword seems to want a piece of your ass.”
 
Sessaki's lip curved just enough that a fang tip poked out. “As crude as its mistress…”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Four weeks later
 
Kagome really appreciated the night of the new moon that week, because Kogashu sent her home early to `guard the pup'. A grinning Shimano had handed her a pair of combat boots and socks in Inuyasha's size as she passed the Armoury on her way out the door, merely shaking his head when she'd tried to query him. The hanyou was twitchy about sandals; how she was going to convince him to completely cover his feet, she had no idea. She soon figured it out.
 
That night, Sota and Akagane had received permission to go to an early movie, so were gone before Inuyasha put in an appearance. After slouching around the kitchen a bit, he suddenly spoke up and suggested to Kagome that they go out, too. Kagome blinked, thought quickly, and decided that the subway would be a good thing for the hanyou to experience. Mrs. Higurashi gave them a small shopping list of things to pick up, and they had a `mission.' Since it was pouring out, Kagome cautiously offered Inuyasha the boots; to her considerable shock, he put them on without a word of protest. Wondering, she dressed in her Academy fleeces, realized too late that Inuyasha already had his on, and then had to endure major teasing from her mother over dressing like `an old married couple'. When Kagome had asked Inuyasha if he would rather stay home after all, his reply had stopped her heart.
 
“Hell, no…I'm going to stay here with you after Naraku's dead, so I have to get used to stuff, right?”
 
Kagome had frozen solid at the comment, her heart dropping…suddenly glad that the hanyou couldn't smell the sadness that threatened to spill out of her eyes and her soul at that moment. Oh, my love…you'll never…not until… she rallied though. “What a great idea, dog-boy!”
 
“Well…let's go then, wench. Keh! Haven't got all night…” And she'd blinked her eyes dry, smiled lovingly at him in such a way that made him go all squishy inside, and taken him firmly by the hand as they went out the door into the wet night.
 
The only thing that marred an otherwise memorable night was the fact that, for the first time in a few weeks, Inuyasha came to bed wearing his hakama. Kagome was too tired to comment on it, but filed it away for future reference.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
The emperor's birthday alone was worth three days off from combat training, and Kagome enjoyed participating in the lovely court celebration. Then, she was given a whole week off for New Year, on the pretext that she was needed at the shrine to cover the increase in visitor traffic over the three days of the official holiday. Kagome and the hanyou ducked through the well and searched the forest around the village for pine boughs and bamboo, and they even found a small wild plum tree to supply decorations for the gates and doorways.
 
A large case of imperfect-grade arrows arrived from the Armoury for her Ojii-chan to sell in the shrine shop as good luck charms. Sota was relieved; he managed to escape sutra-writing duty, but then was corralled by Mrs. Higurashi to help with addressing the stacks of New Year's cards. The house and shrine were scoured and cleaned thoroughly, Inuyasha pitching in with enthusiasm, especially when it involved mashing spiders lurking in corners…
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
“Oi, wench! What century was this place last cleaned in? The Sengoku Jidai?” Inuyasha was covered in dust, a broom in his hand, glaring at her between coughing fits in the outer room of the main shrine. Kagome chuckled.
 
“Only since last year…but maybe Sota forgot the rafters…”
 
“Keh! There's like a million spiders up there and two inches of dust.” He shook his claw at her. “What would the kami say about this?”
 
“ `Get to work', probably. Geez, it is pretty bad in here…oh, well, let's get at it…chicken yakitori for dinner tonight…”
 
“Oi! Why didn't you say so? Bet I can squish more spiders than you…”
 
“No way! Naraku's minions are mine…watch that broom, dog-boy! It ain't Tetsusaiga…”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
`Keh! Can these noodles get any longer? Why are we eating soba instead of ramen, anyways?”
 
“Longevity…it's a custom on New Year's Eve. Hey, Sota, turn up the TV…can't hear the music over your slurping…”
 
“What else do you do on New Year's Eve?” He had a suggestive glint in his eye.
 
“Listen to the temple bells, and then watch the sun rise.”
 
“Keh! How about doing something to promote `good luck'?”
 
“Are you sure you don't mean `getting lucky'?”
 
“Whatever you want, koishii…”
 
Well before midnight, they took blankets and snuggled together outside in the Goshinboku to listen to the local temple bells ring out their measured one hundred and eight peals However, he had a different idea for watching the sun rise. Just before dawn, he wrapped the drowsy girl in his fire-rat and carried her out into the darkness. Dropping them both into the well, she woke up when the colder air of the Sengoku Jidai hit her in the face, especially when he took them airborne into the Goshinboku. Instead of stopping on their usual limb, he bounded higher up, finally nestling her in his arms on a branch facing east.
 
As the sun rose in the clear winter sky, the view unhindered by office towers or apartment buildings, the air crisp and clean in the hush of the new day, Inuyasha kissed his girl tenderly and thoroughly. Kagome's smile outshone the sun, and the enthusiasm of her response nearly knocked both of them out of the tree…He took her back through the well, now both a little rumpled, and had breakfast with her family. Inuyasha made himself scarce for the next three days, as the shrine was swarmed by visitors, but reappeared every night as soon as the gates were closed.
 
He'd been rather intrigued when Kagome mentioned that they could celebrate the lunar New Year with their friends at the village later in the winter, since they were still on the traditional calendar. His response was to point out that since there were no shrine buildings to clean, they might have to go into Kaede's storage shed to find any spiders worthy of destruction. The shed in question could be rather private…she'd rolled her eyes in response to his leer and muttered something about horny dogs …
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Kagome woke up in the middle of the night, startled out of a deep sleep by a sensation that she couldn't immediately identify. She was due to start back at the Academy after her vacation, and really needed her sleep before Shimano picked her and Sota up at ungodly hours in the morning. There it was again…what the hell was that? Wait a minute…her hip bone was being licked? She sincerely doubted it was Buyo suddenly getting fresh. Damn that hanyou… she ground her teeth in the dark, then snaked her hand under the blankets, grabbed a handful of hair and ear, and yanked upwards.
 
Inuyasha found himself grinning sheepishly at his girl, who reached over and flicked on the light, while not giving up her grip on his ear. “All right, dog-boy…what's the big idea?”
 
“You said as long as I don't wake you up…”
 
“You can see my problem, then.”
 
He wriggled like a pup being disciplined. “Couldn't help myself…” Kagome blushed furiously, when she was clearly reminded that while she may have had something on, Inuyasha certainly didn't…and his undercover activities were obviously rather stimulating. His face was also positioned right over her chest at that precise moment. She hastily let go of his ear, and tried to squirm out from under him…he had other ideas. “Koishii…let me? Let me taste your skin…please?” This last was breathed against her neck; all she did was whimper softly as he pushed up her pyjama top and nuzzled his face into her breasts.
 
“This skin…right here…so soft…so sweet…” He nibbled under the curve of her breast, his bangs tickling her skin, until she found herself arching into his mouth when he brushed his lips over her nipple…and the electric sensations raced to her groin and back up again. Sliding her hands into his hair, gasping, she opened her eyes to look deep into glowing amber pools; then her hands dropped to grasp the material of her top, pulled it over her head and off to land somewhere on the floor. Kagome gulped, briefly lost her nerve and tried to cover herself, but he gently moved her hands aside and began tenderly kissing her, until she wrapped her arms around him, holding him close, skin against skin, and sighed deeply.
 
“Inuyasha…?”
 
“Mmmm?” His lips were tracking down her jaw towards her breasts again; his claws were plucking at the fabric still covering her body below the hips.
 
“W-we…”
 
“Shhhh, Kagome…I've wanted to taste your skin for so long…I won't lose control, I promise.” He lifted her hips with one hand and pulled down the pyjama bottoms, then in a quick movement removed them entirely. He grinned at her startled expression. “I didn't shred them because you'll probably want them again, right?”
 
“Er, yeah…”
 
“Keh…now, where was I? Mmm…right about here, I think…” Kagome resolutely ignored the little squalling voice in her head that was chanting the `K'-name, and focussed on how good the hanyou was making her feel, including the way his warm, muscled body felt under her hands, pressed fully against her own. There was no awkwardness at being completely naked with him…all those weeks of sharing the bed certainly had lowered her barriers. Then his lips began moving downwards, his body sliding between her legs, and she tensed up.
 
“Inuyasha…where are you going with this?”
 
He flashed her a roguish grin from the region of her navel. “Down, of course…relax, koishii…I want to see if you taste as good as you smell…” Kagome wondered at her own reaction, her thighs parting easily as if this was a common occurrence, like she let him do this all the time…wait a minute! What the…? She squeaked when she felt his tongue introducing itself to a part of her anatomy that was clearly enjoying the attention, and then her shock very quickly gave way to sensations that she could barely imagine, and she found herself tangling her fingers in his hair and begging him hoarsely not to stop
 
The hanyou belatedly realized that this may not have been a really bright thing to do, as soon as he tasted her sweet darkness. Her taste and scent and heat and oh, her response to his touch dulled his brain while increasing the blood flow elsewhere in his system…and then his youkai sat up and roared in triumph. Growling, he wrapped his hands under her buttocks and up over her hips, his claws prickling the taut skin stretched over those ridges of pelvic bone, enjoying the tremour of her response. He had a hell of a time subduing the nearly overwhelming urge to slide himself in between her finely muscled thighs and find out if she was as tight and hot as she seemed. Kagome's body stiffened, her fingers curling tightly in his hair, and suddenly she bucked her hips right off the mattress, making the sexiest little noises in her throat he'd ever heard as she shuddered…and her intoxicatingly-scented heat caused his own response to reach nearly numbing levels…and his youkai to snarl in frustration.
 
Laying his head against her belly, Inuyasha listened to her rapid panting, heard her blood rushing through her veins, tasted the sheen of sweat coating her skin, felt her heart hammering in his chest. He wondered if she would fall asleep quickly, so he could slip out and take care of himself…and get his youkai to stop howling. “Inu…yasha…? That was…amazing.” Her husky voice made thrills chase up and down his spine, and certainly didn't help his control issue.
 
“Keh…it was my pleasure…” He slowly pressed open-mouthed kisses up her quivering stomach, paused at her breasts, then continued up to her neck and mouth, as Kagome panted lightly under him, her fingers clutching at him spasmodically. Her face was flushed a flattering shade of pink, and her eyes, when she opened them, were misty and unfocussed. He smiled softly, and kissed her very deeply, while trying to keep his frustrated, growling youkai under some semblance of control. I promiseddammit!
 
When they met in a very slow, very languorous kiss, he felt her fingers go after one ear…and the other hand, almost cautiously, feel its way down until it was lightly investigating his erection where it was pressed against her hip. He purred against her lips and arched into her hand, almost afraid that he might burst if he didn't find relief. “Kagome…be careful…” She smiled lazily up at him, then placed one hand flat on his chest and pushed, rolling him under her. “What're you up to, wench?”
 
He hardly dared hope when she gave him a very sultry smile. “Your turn, koibito…” Then dark hair trailed across his chest as Kagome kissed her way down his body, awakening trails of electricity that brought all his senses to full alert. He and his youkai both nearly yelped when her hot mouth closed around him; gripping handfuls of blankets, throwing his head back, reacting to the sensations of tongue, teeth and fingers until the tightly-wound tension let go in a bright-white flash...he surfaced to the sound of his youkai purring contentedly, and the feeling of Kagome snuggled warmly against him, her fingers lightly tracing circular patterns around his navel.
 
Later, when the light had been turned back out, after lingering kisses exchanged, Inuyasha found himself studying the face of the girl lying in his arms, glossy dark head tucked against his shoulder, while he contemplated the activities they'd just engaged in together.
 
Wow…
That wasinteresting.
Interesting? It was fucking amazing!
Guess she really has chosen you.
After this, nobody but nobody gets anywhere near her.
Um…don't overdo it with the `me alpha male, you my bitch' shit
Keh! She's mine, dammit!
And you're hers...be careful with her. She's not a youkai bitch.
No shit. As if a youkai would have accepted me for myself.
This just binds you more tightly to her
She doesn't need that damn rosary anymore, I can tell you that…
So, when ya gonna mate her?
Soon…I hope.
 
He tenderly kissed her forehead, stroking his claws through her hair. She sighed in her sleep, her lips pouting slightly. He shivered, thinking about the effect those lips had on him earlier, eyeing the nearly-healed puncture wounds in his own forearm, where he had bitten down to stifle a scream. He lightly ran his claws down her skin, from her shoulder to her thigh and back up again, hopeful that this marked some kind of turning point, that she could put Kikyo behind her…if he should be so lucky, how were they going to have any privacy? He knew he would most likely be rather noisy…and he intended on making his girl scream his name at least once…
 
Kagome snuffled in her sleep, and nuzzled into the crook of his neck. He cuddled her, tucking the blankets closely around her, wracking his brain…then thought of something. Hmmm…now that had some possibilities
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж