InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Phoenix Blade: Time Lapse ❯ Winter Games ( Chapter 32 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: Don't own…don't sue. Probably should be spanked, considering what I'm doing to them…
 
A/N: Citrus Alert…yes, we're leading up to the `big one'…no complaints that this fic isn't suitable for young readers, please. It is rated `R/M'. Do not go any further if you are underage or easily offended.
 
The Phoenix Blade: Time Lapse
Chapter 32: Winter Games
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Present Day
 
Themorningafter the night before
 
Mmmm…so comfortable…warm skin…hm? Lots of warm skin…oh shit.
 
Kagome awakened stark naked in Inuyasha's arms, eyeball-to-chest with her hanyou…and momentarily panicked.
 
Oh man, what the hell was I thinking?
Apparently that he was rather tasty
Gaaah! Acting like a total…uh, lust-bunny last night
I didn't hear any complaints.
I don't think I can cope with a huge, cat-who-ate-the-canary smirk this morning…
Oh, I'm sure it will be ear-to-ear…he certainly enjoyed himself last night!
Maybe I can just slip out without him noticing…
What?! And miss out on morning snugglebunnies? I think not…
 
“Good morning, koishii…” a sleepy voice purred. Kagome froze, gulping. Well, now she was in for it, and had no-one else to blame…damn, damned, damnable! Steeling herself for the self-satisfied look she was sure she'd find on his chops, she peeked upward from her current vantage point under his chin. Warm heavy-lidded amber eyes and a soft smile made her eyes go wide with surprise, a look she held even as her chin was tilted up for a tender kiss. “Are you all right, Kagome?”
 
“Um…yes?”
 
Inuyasha frowned a bit at the tentative answer and the tense look on her face. Kagome, feeling another wave of red cover her cheeks, ducked her head. He held her close; she bit her lip.
 
Now what? He's not all smirky and arrogant
Maybe because he loves you, and this was a natural progression?
Oh…damn, I'm dense sometimes…
You're imitating granite quite nicely at this point, sweetheart.
 
Inuyasha instantly smelt her distress. “Koishii…you're not…ashamed… of what we did last night?” He got a brief motion that felt like a negative head shake in response. His heart seemed to stop beating. “Do you regret it?” he whispered hoarsely.
 
There was a very long pause that seemed to last an eternity, and then Kagome reached up to stroke his throat, higher yet to trace his chin, finally coming to rest on his lips. The girl raised herself up on one elbow, so she could look down into his face, lightly stroking his cheekbones and brow all the while, grey eyes locked on his. Then, just when he almost panicked, almost said something to break the tension, something that would have really screwed him, so to speak, Kagome leaned down and kissed him, softly, wetly, sexily, sliding her slender fingers into his hair until she reached the base of his ears.
 
He moaned into her mouth, his own hand sliding up to cup her breast when she began to caress the soft fur, and then she moulded her body even closer to his. She broke the kiss, and pulled back a little to smile at her hanyou's definitely unfocussed eyes, before kissing him lightly. He was having trouble concentrating on her soft words, since her fingers were still touching his ears in a maddeningly arousing manner. “Ashamed? No. Regret it? Never. Worried that you might think less of me, or tease me for acting like a…um, ah…”
 
Inuyasha's eyes snapped wide, sharp and clear. He pulled her down for a fierce kiss, and didn't let her come up for air until she was dizzy. “Never think that of yourself…we belong to each other…we, um, pleasured each other…to, er, show our love.” He gulped a bit on the last word, but when Kagome smiled at him like sunshine, his heart lightened, too. She hugged him, relaxing welcomingly when he rolled on top of her and cupped her face between his palms. “I-I'm honoured…you trusted me to let me love you that way.”
 
Kagome started feeling his ears up again and soon his face was buried against her neck, his hands busy on her curves, while he groaned and shivered in her embrace. This activity probably would have ended very pleasantly, except for the urgent knocking on the bedroom door.
 
“Kagome! You're going to be late…it's already 7:00! Er, I mean, 0700! Breakfast in ten!” The couple, which had frozen like deer in the headlights, breathed a large, mutual sigh of relief, then grinned at each other. Inuyasha slowly slid off her, kissing the tip of her nose.
 
“Keh! Timing is everything…off you go, wench.” Now he was smirking rather broadly, watching her scramble into her clothes, but she didn't know why until later, after she and Shimano had dropped off Sota and Akagane.
 
The kitsune arched an eyebrow at her, a wry smile on his face. Kagome was puzzled. “What's wrong?” she finally ventured.
 
Shimano chuckled. “No doubt as to who you're sharing a bed with, Kagome. His scent is all over you, isn't it?” She blushed scarlet again, and sat in silence, wondering if it was possible for her capillaries to stay permanently enlarged.
 
It only became worse once they reached the Academy. Sessaki actually broke off in mid-sentence during the morning briefing and looked at her with raised eyebrows, making her squirm in embarrassment. Kogashu just laughed. “The pup still hasn't mated you? Gonna have to give that loser some pointers myself…” She'd glared at him, and in the first round of their sparring, she'd whacked the heck out of his shoulder with the flat of her blade when he left himself open for a split-second.
 
Yashita had quietly shown up just before lunch break, and she knew he wanted to spend some time with her…after all, it had been a week. His nose twitched when she came within ten feet of him, and suddenly, he snarled and pounced on her, dragging her into his embrace while he buried his nose in her neck…at about the spot where Inuyasha had been nuzzling her before they were interrupted by her mother. He sniffed long, hard and deeply before just as suddenly letting her go and disappearing, leaving a bewildered girl staring after him. Baffled, she swung around to blink at Kogashu, who looked thoughtful. The wolf demon finally shrugged. “Smelling the pup on you is giving him grief...the scents are different enough that his youkai tells him someone else has touched you. His instinct is to either throw you on the floor and cover you with his scent, or go kick the shit out of the pup, and he can't do that, either…poor bastard.” Kagome chewed over that information while munching Kogane's excellent onigiri with Shimano. She made a quick trip to the bathroom, was briefly busy with towels and soap and water, then hunted down Yashita in his office.
 
He was staring out the window when she marched in; she nearly stopped at his fiery glare, but continued purposefully towards him. Yashita closed his eyes and held himself very still. “Kagome…it isn't safe for you to come this close to me when you smell…like that…I don't know if I can control myself…” She took a deep breath, stepped around right in front of him, grabbed the base of his braid, and forced his face into the side of her neck.
 
“Breathe, Yash…find your control. You have to do this…” She gently rubbed the nape of his neck as slowly, very slowly, his shoulders relaxed, his breath warm across her skin. He finally unclenched his fists and brought his hands up to rest lightly on her obi-wrapped waist. When he lifted his head, the golden-brown eyes were calm. Without a word, Kagome reached for the piece of red silk adorning his breast pocket. Yashita watched her, expressionless, until she tucked the ribbon against her freshly-cleansed skin inside her sport bra, then buckled her cuirass closed. Kagome fixed him with an intent look. “I'll give this back to you before I leave today…it should smell mostly like me by that time, okay?” She'd turned to sweep out the door, when he'd caught her arm, turning her to give her a gentle, butterfly-light kiss on the lips.
 
“Thank you, koishii…for my sanity…”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
That night, after dinner and her bath, Kagome was tearing her room apart, looking for her pyjamas, and muttering more than a few very colourful descriptions of the hanyou, who was currently lounging in bed with a very large smirk on his face. She finally snorted in disgust, and stood in front of him, hands fisted on hips, eyes flaring.
 
“All right, dog-boy…cough `em up! Or do you think that I'm now going to live your depraved little fantasies and get naked with you every night?”
 
His eyes immediately turned dark and smouldering; before she could scoot out of his range, she was again trapped against his chest, her yukata summarily removed, his lips nibbling her ear lobe as he pulled her into bed with him. She went completely still when he wound himself around her; he spoke, low and growling, in such a way that everything went into arousal mode. “I don't know what `depraved' means, but I know that you sleep naked without me, so don't give me any of this `I'm too shy' crap.”
 
“I'm not shy…not after last night…but…” Kagome found herself somewhat distracted. She was tucked firmly against him, the light doused…and while one hand began stroking up and down her back, the other flattened across her buttocks and pulled her tightly against his groin, which was demonstrating every sign of being interested in closer contact. His voice was a very sexy rumble that made her nipples harden instantly.
 
“I don't need to jump you every night, Kagome…and I'll prove it. I love the feeling of your skin against mine…” Despite the close proximity to a part of his anatomy that was making her tingle in interesting places, the hanyou was as good as his word, and loosened his grip for her to snuggle against him. Kagome grinned into his chest, and let her hand `accidentally' brush the most sensitive part of his body. When he tensed up, she did it again, feather-light, and he twitched. “Watch it, wench…that might get you in trouble…”
 
She blinked, tickling his skin with her lashes. “Oops…sorry.”
 
“Keh! You're a lousy liar, koishii. Go to sleep.”
 
“Wanna definition of `depraved'?”
 
“Oi!”
 
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Third week of the New Year
 
Since that first sparring match, which they now referred to as the `hair incident', Sessaki had been stopping in every afternoon of each four-day stint to help hone her new skills. She wasn't sure if she should anticipate it or dread it, since it always meant her clock was going to be thoroughly cleaned. Kogashu was only a warm-up act; despite being a full youkai, he always held back a little, so she could get in a shot at him, or so she could avoid his attacks. Maybe Yashita had threatened him…Sessaki, however, held nothing back, either contempt or youkai, and even with Fenikkusuken's enthusiastic help and her battle-sight, she usually found herself decorating some part of the wall briefly before splatting onto the floor, watching him stalk away with that careless grace.
 
I'm really getting tired of having such a great view of his ankles.
You're getting faster, you know.
Yeah, at running away…
Please… `strategic retreats'.
By any other name…
When you can dodge him nine times out of ten, you know you can kick ass.
Running isn't helping me to defeat him.
Uh, sweetheart…no one has ever defeated him, except Yashita. Your expectations are a little high; you frustrate the hell out of him, which is close to the same thing. Those shield-barriers you throw up to avoid his whip really cheese him off.
Aside from his hair that one time, I haven't even come close to hitting him again!
Patience is a virtue
If I wanted `patience', I'd be a doctor.
Ha-ha.
 
Her sessions with Sessaki were extremely frustrating because he pretty much chased her around the dojo with either his energy whips or his speed, or both, until she was pissed off enough to take a shot at him, which he always dodged. By the end of the third week of the New Year, she was escaping him eighty percent of the time. It was the other twenty percent that still hurt like hell…and she still hadn't hit him.
 
Yashita occasionally stopped in to watch her battle Kogashu, since the cadets were spending more time in the classrooms; his advice was good, but the wolf demon was always nervous when under the inu-youkai's eye...and Kagome was nervous because she knew he could smell Inuyasha on her. All over her, in fact, as the hanyou had taken to scent-marking her as thoroughly as possible after she bathed each night. That often lead to other pleasurable activities…she told herself it was helping her cope with the stress. Of course, it was also stressing Yashita out…
 
Besides that, the first time Yashita watched her go at it against Sessaki, the need to protect her was too much for him; Kagome nearly took him out with her sword when he suddenly appeared in front of her, snarling ferociously, Sessaki having trapped her in the corner of the dojo before she could draw a bead on him.
 
“Geez, Yash…be careful! He's not gonna hurt me…I still have to get Naraku. Actually, he's in more danger, because while I might have needed him and the Tenseiga in the past, I don't now….”
 
“You may yet require the Tenseiga's power, Higurashi.” She felt a little chill, like someone was walking over her grave…
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Fourth week of the New Year
 
The hanyou was up to something on the other side of the well; he came back in time for dinner every night she was at the Academy looking very pleased with himself. Being naturally curious, she wondered what was up, but quite frankly, she was too busy planning new ways to take on Sessaki, and gain a better level of control over her new abilities to really set her mind to puzzling the mystery out.
 
That week's night of the New Moon started out badly, but ended up bringing them even closer. Inuyasha had arrived late, again, muttering something about Shippo being annoying, and showed every sign of being under stress. Kagome tried to gently tease him, but he just growled at her, so she finally gave up and went to bed, leaving him talking with her mother. She undressed, and slipped between the blankets, wondering how long he would be. Her bed felt rather empty without his presence, not to mention a bit cold, but she eventually drifted off.
 
His familiar weight on the end of the mattress woke her up slightly, and she sleepily moved over to make room for him, getting ready to be surrounded by his warmth, but he never arrived. Instead, she felt the foot of the bed settle, on the side closest to the wall. She processed that unwelcome information for a couple of minutes, then reached over and turned on the light, while sitting up, holding the blanket to her chest.
 
Inuyasha was hunched up against the wall, fully dressed, the Tetsusaiga resting on his shoulder. He scowled at her from under his dark bangs. Kagome was puzzled. “Inuyasha…what are you doing over there?”
 
“Sleeping, thanks. At least I was, until you turned on the light.” She bit back a retort, instead regarding him sceptically, cocking her head on the side. He squirmed a bit, and sighed. “I hate this night…I hate my depleted senses…”
 
“Well, that didn't stop you from cuddling last month…wait a minute, this isn't about that at all, is it? It's because you can't scent-mark me, right? You smell human, not inu-youkai.” Kagome rolled her eyes, then gave him a very direct look. “I don't care what form you're in…it's all the same Inuyasha to me. By the way, to my nose, you smell the same, anyhow.” He snorted; she sighed. “You have to stop thinking about what you can't do tonight, and start enjoying what you can…besides, I'm kind of curious to see if all your hair turns black…” She lithely twisted up onto her hands and knees, and began slinking towards him across the blankets. His dark violet eyes became wider and his throat drier the closer she came, eyes sparkling, smile soft, her dark hair spilling forward over her shoulders, her hips swaying enticingly, until his only choice was to either dive backwards off the bed or let her have her way.
 
The girl didn't really give him a choice. Purring deep in her throat, she crawled onto his lap, straddling his thighs so he couldn't escape without some really fancy manoeuvres. Kagome wriggled suggestively until she was pinning his hips with her body weight; he was looking nervous. She tucked his raven's-wing locks behind his ears, then leaned in to plant tiny little kisses along his very tense jaw. “Relax, Inu-chan…I'm not a neko-youkai, either…”
 
From somewhere, he marshalled a snort, and she began nibbling down his throat, which turned the snort into a low moan. “Hmmm…that seems to work just fine…now, let's get rid of this…” She tugged Tetsusaiga out of his white-knuckled grip and dropped it with a thunk onto the carpet. While that distracted him, she grabbed handfuls of fabric and yanked upward, pulling his juban and haori out of his hakama, quickly undoing the ties holding them closed.
 
Inuyasha reacted by grabbing her shoulders. “Kagome…I don't…ohh! Uhhh…you …um…”
 
She had run her hands inside his robes, up over his warm skin, and lightly flicked his nipples until they hardened. She pushed linen and fire-rat out of the way and gently nibbled on the tight flesh. Inuyasha arched into her mouth, sucking air between his teeth, his fingers flexing on her shoulders almost painfully. Continuing to caress him, she pressed kisses all over his chest, paused for a moment to shove his clothing off his shoulders and down his arms, then resumed her sweet torment. His hakama was tenting in a rather obvious manner against her belly, and she was again reminded of that night in the bathroom, when only a layer of fire-rat stood in the way.
[Author ID1: at Fri Nov 25 21:50:00 2005 ]
Except this time, he was trying to escape her.
 
When Kagome slid her hands down to the knot securing his hakama, his fingers knocked hers aside and closed over the knot in a death grip. She pulled back to blink at him in surprise. Inuyasha was gasping lightly, but his jaw had gone tense again. She covered his clenched fist with her fingers, and brought up the other hand to stroke his jaw. “What's the matter?”
 
“Look, I just don't…”
 
“I promise I won't bite. Nibble a bit, maybe, but no biting.”
 
“That's not it…”
 
She grinned suddenly, and smothered his protest with a very hot kiss. She kept at it until his hands gripped her waist and pulled her tightly against his straining member. She dropped her hand onto the knot and lightly tickled the skin of his belly with her fingertip. “C'mon, Inu-chan…just a peek?” He twisted away from her along the wall, releasing her hips, giving her a fierce scowl, and folded one arm across his chest, the other hand guarding the knot. Kagome rolled her eyes again. “Honestly…we're on this side of the well, you're safe from everything, even perforating your arm when you orgasm…please tell me what's really wrong?”
 
“I just don't want to be reminded of all the stuff I'm missing tonight.”
 
“Huh?”
 
“Can't smell your skin, taste your body, hear your blood race…feels like I've got fucking gloves on when I touch you…”
 
“So…you're not shy about showing me your body, just…?”
 
He blushed and looked away, his bangs falling over his eyes. “I don't like to be reminded of my weakness…it makes me feel like I'm not worthy of you.”
 
“Oh, give me a freakin' break, dog-boy! Not worthy…my ass! Did you hear me earlier? You're the same to me, silver or black, fanged or not…doesn't matter what the packaging looks like, it's what's inside that counts.” She jabbed him in the chest for emphasis; he wouldn't meet her eyes. There was a long pause.
 
Kagome sighed, then gently cupped his face, and tenderly kissed him before disentangling herself and moving away, snuggling back under the blankets. “Think about what I said, Inuyasha…I truly meant it. I would, however, like it if you cuddled me like you usually do…I like your arms around me, and your heartbeat close by….please?”
 
Inuyasha hesitated for only a moment, then shook himself free of his juban and haori, and crawled under the blankets, curling his arms around her, cupping her hips against his. Kagome reached over and turned out the light, then nestled backwards until she was in full contact with him. He sighed into her hair, but he kept his hands away from any place interesting. Kagome's brain was turning over, and finally clicked.
 
“There is something you can do to me tonight that you can't any other night.”
 
Keh…like what? I can't think of anything….oh, er…okay. Um, yeah.”
 
She'd caught his wrist, and guided his hand down to where she was soft and hot and very wet; his clawless finger tips hesitated, then tenderly began to stroke and rub. Smiling into the darkness Kagome shifted her hips and wriggled back against his groin. He shivered, but didn't pull away, just kept caressing her until she was writhing under his hand, clutching at the bedding, gasping hard. With a soft cry, she stiffened, then relaxed into the shelter of his arms, body quivering. Inuyasha was surprised at how much softness and heat he could feel; her inviting slickness made parts of him go rock hard at the thought of having her wrapped completely around him…
 
Kagome twisted her head so she could see him looking at her and smiled languidly. “One of these New Moon nights, you're going to have to let me have my way with you…I still want to know if you're black-haired everywhere…”
 
Inuyasha kissed her ear. “Keh! You have weird tastes, wench.”
 
“Hmph. Of course, doggy-style isn't considered a weird taste…”
 
“Whaddya mean, weird?! That's normal!”[Author ID1: at Fri Nov 25 21:50:00 2005 ]
 
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Sengoku Jidai
 
Sixth week of the New Year; Lunar New Year, old calendar
 
“Yay! Kagome!” She ducked the kit, on pure reflex, and then fell over laughing when he struck Inuyasha square in the chest, toppling both of them back into the well. Neither the kit nor the hanyou were amused when they climbed out.
 
“What the hell, wench? Couldn't you have just taken the hit from the runt?” Kagome smirked at Inuyasha and reached to cuddle the kit, who grumbled but submitted manfully. He suddenly stilled, then leaned in and sniffed loudly at her neck, before turning to glare at the hanyou.
 
“Eeyew! You…you've been…doing stuff to her…and she used to smell so good, too…” Kagome caught Shippo by the scruff of his neck, and held him up to eye-level.
 
“For your information, I like smelling like him…you'll just have to get used to it.” The kit crossed his arms and pouted, but then broke out into a sunny grin.
 
“Well, it could be worse…you could smell like a scrawny wolf…” For a moment, Kagome froze, thinking the kit could smell Kogashu, but then remembered her gear was thoroughly de-scented before she left the Academy. Inuyasha's growl brought her back to the present.
 
“Ya had to bring up that stupid fucking wolf, didn't ya? Let's go…it's freezing out here!” In truth, it was damn cold on this side of the well; Kagome assumed that it was warmer on her side because the contained warmth of the city, with all its exhaust fumes, worked to alter the climate slightly over Tokyo itself. Kaede's village was under a deep blanket of snow, and the darkest months brought on a deep freeze. Icicles as long as she was tall crept downwards from the eaves of the huts, and snow banks up to her waist covered the familiar contours of the land.
 
Mrs. Higurashi had loaded them up with the ingredients for a huge batch of homemade oden. Sango hallooed from where she was completing the perimeter check, her passage barely slowed by Hiraikotsu scraping along the sides of the dug-out trench that marked the village's protected boundaries. “Hi, Kagome! I'm looking forward to training tomorrow with you.”
 
“Um, no offence Sango…but I'm not. It's New Year's Eve; we're taking the day off tomorrow.”
 
“Oh, all right. Maybe a demon will show up for some practise.”
 
“Let's hope not; we're supposed to think happy thoughts and only see and do happy things for good luck…fighting a demon would curse the New Year.” The slayer stopped and gave her a very direct look.
 
“I hope our year will be full of strife, Kagome…the more demons we kill, the closer we get to Naraku, and vengeance.”
 
Kagome squirmed. “Sorry, Sango…when you put it that way…but we should be careful, because we just might get what we wish for.”
 
Inuyasha, Shippo perched on his shoulder, pushed past the two girls. “If you two wenches want to stand out here jawing all night, go right ahead. I'm starving, and this stuff isn't getting any lighter.”
 
Kagome reached for Sango's hand, and gave it a tight squeeze. The slayer's smile was full of darkness, but she allowed Kagome to tuck her hand under her arm and lead her toward Kaede's hut, where they could already hear Inuyasha cheerfully abusing Miroku, and Shippo chiming in.
 
It was warm inside the hut, mainly because earlier Kagome had requisitioned extra tarps, and the walls were now draft-proof, and the floor was layered in mats. The fire was blazing merrily under a cauldron of soup stock; Kaede's one eye sparkled merrily at them. “Come in, come in, before ye freeze…close that mat securely.” Kagome and Sango pulled off their snowy boots, hopping quickly off the cold ground and onto the warmer wooden platform.
 
“Ah, Kagome-sama…I understand that your lady mother has sent us something delicious to try? What is it?” Miroku grinned engagingly from his vantage point across the fire pit.
 
“It's called oden…a hot-pot with noodles and dumplings. She sent extra-long soba noodles for good luck…” She took off her cloak, and began unpacking the bags of ingredients.
 
“Ah, yes. We hope that this shall be a very unlucky year; for Naraku, that is…don't we, Sango-sama?”
 
The slayer's dark eyes locked on the monk's, and a brief moment of complete understanding flashed between them, leaving Kagome feeling a bit cold. She was distracted by a sloshing thunk and the clatter of crockery. “Inuyasha? What the hell is that?”
 
The hanyou grinned, and held up a large jug of what Kagome knew to be her grandfather's private supply. “Your Ojii-chan gave it to me…said it was a crime to greet the New Year without decent sake. He even leant me the cups.”
 
“Well, go easy on that stuff. It's pretty high octane, and I'd hate for you to fall out of the Goshinboku while under its influence.”
 
“A little howling at the moon never hurt anyone, koishii.”
 
“Oh, you'll be howling, all right…”
 
She followed her mother's neatly written instructions, Kaede and Sango watching intently and throwing in their two-yen worth, until everything was ready. Sango elbowed her just as she was about to announce dinner; she looked in the direction the slayer indicated, and just shook her head. Obviously Miroku and Inuyasha had decided to open the jug, and both had warm fuzzy grins on their faces already. Shippo looked suspiciously flushed as well.
 
“Pass me the bowls…better feed them fast, so their stomachs have something to sop up the booze.” With exaggerated care, Miroku set out three more cups and very carefully tipped a measure into each of them.
 
“Samas…I propose a toast. To the New Year…and vengeance.” The slayer's face hardened, and she swiftly tossed back her cup, holding it out for a refill. Kagome hesitated, then knocked back the liquor. It burned all the way down, and made her shudder. A clawed hand caught her wrist, and she looked into Inuyasha's golden eyes, a crooked smile creeping across his handsome face.
 
“Oi, Miroku…another toast. To the New Year…and happiness. We have to take it where we find it, because we don't know how long it will last.” He leaned in and gave her a rather `spirited' kiss, which was spoiled by Shippo hopping up onto Inuyasha's head and hiccupping loudly.
 
“Is it time (hic) to eat?” He slid down the hanyou's back into an untidy heap on the floor. Inuyasha prodded him with a claw tip in the backside.
 
“Hey, runt…bet I can slurp more noodles than you!”
 
Shippo sat up, grinning toothily, if a little crookedly. “You're on, dog-breath…come on, Kagome! Get that ladle busy!”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
A few hours later, at around what general consensus reckoned would be midnight, the younger occupants of Kaede's hut tumbled out into the snow, most of them giggling in a very undignified manner. Sango, in particular, was rather rosy-cheeked, and Kagome had to admit, she was very pretty with her sparkling dark eyes. Miroku planted his staff to stabilize himself, then gravely extended his gauntleted hand to Sango. “Allow me to assist you, sama. It is too cold to sit in the snow for any length of time.”
 
Sango giggled girlishly, and took the proffered hand, pulling herself upright. Instead of immediately letting go, she instead held on, and allowed the monk to wind his fingers into hers. Kagome nearly keeled over with astonishment, but then didn't because she was enclosed in warm fire-rat. She looked up over her shoulder at Inuyasha, who smiled tenderly and dropped a kiss onto her forehead. Kagome sighed and leaned back against his shoulder, looking up into the starry velvet-dark sky. The expected smack echoed in the silence of the night, followed by a whoop from the monk when he was shoved into a snowbank as well.
 
“No matter what comes our way this year, Kagome…know that I'll always be by your side.” The hanyou's voice was soft but intense; she twisted in his embrace and wrapped her arms around him, catching him in a passionate kiss.
 
When they came up for air, she whispered, “That's my line…but you can borrow it if you want…” A soft snowball splattered against the back of her head, showering them in flakes. “Shippo….”
 
A rather delighted and somewhat drunken snigger marked where the kit had skittered up a tree; Inuyasha gave her a squeeze and took off in pursuit. Kagome noticed that he seemed a little less graceful than usual…but then, so was Shippo. She was so intent on watching the developing chase, that she took another handful of snow full in the face…from Sango?
 
“All right, Protector…two against one! Take that!” Kagome staggered backwards, laughing, as Sango and a rather dishevelled Miroku pelted her; she threw up a barrier and grabbed handfuls of snow as the other two teased her over having an unfair advantage…then the hanyou hit ground level beside her, and the fight was on…
 
Kaede sat inside her hut, stirring the fire, reading the future in the patterns of embers, listening to the shouts of laughter and good-natured teasing as the snow battle raged outside. She sighed heavily, watching the sparks flitter upward. I hope that this is not the only moment of happiness they find in this year of strife
 
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Present Day
 
Seventh week of the New Year
 
“Well, wolfling…what's on the menu for today? Besides the usual pain and frustration, that is.” Kogashu grunted, but wouldn't meet her eyes as he moved around the dojo; she realized he was making sure all of the weapons were secure in their holders and then wondered why her sword was thrumming quietly against her hip. She received her answer when the dojo door slid open, and Sessaki and Shimano filed in, followed by a tall, slender personage that Kagome recognized as Sensei Kosaru. She wondered if she ought to thank him for the extra swimming practise a year ago, that had served her so well when she went into the river after the dead boy on the day of the crow youkai…
 
“Higurashi, come here.”
 
“Yes, sir…begging your pardon, but don't you usually thrash me after lunch?”
 
His dark eyes were unfathomable. “This is a special circumstance.” She opened her mouth again, but shut it when Shimano held up an item of clothing.
 
“Your new body armour, Kagome…let's give it a try.” He helped her to remove her gi and existing cuirass, then held the new one while she shrugged into it. It was styled like a body-hugging flak vest; sleeveless, with a higher collar to protect her throat, long like her tunic, secured with three bands of webbing that buckled it snugly around her torso. Kagome wriggled inside it, then smiled at Shimano.
 
“It fits great…looks more like the full body armour worn by samurai officers.”
 
“It is meant to suggest that. Step this way, Higurashi.” Shimano nodded; she scooped her sword and obi and hop-skipped to catch up with Sessaki, as he walked towards where Sensei Kosaru was laying out about half-a-dozen narrow pieces of parchment on the dojo floor. Kagome bowed politely to him, then was startled when she recognized the elaborate calligraphy. Sutras? But how… Her eyes flashed up to Kosaru's, and he smiled serenely at her, his very dark violet eyes twinkling. She wavered backward; Sessaki was at her back, a steadying hand on her shoulder. Kagome licked her suddenly dry lips, not taking her eyes from Kosaru's.
 
“Excuse me, sensei…but you look just like…”
 
“My esteemed ancestor, the houshi that sought Naraku, correct?”
 
Her world spun crazily for a moment; she nodded numbly. He grinned cheekily, and the resemblance to her houshi increased dramatically. Backing up a step, he bowed to her. “My name is Masa Kosaru, direct descendent of the monk Miroku and the demon exterminator Sango. It is my very great pleasure to have been of assistance to you, Lady Kagome. I set the wards to protect this dojo.” She could only blink at him. “My sister, Shina Kosaru, is looking forward to meeting you as well. We are both intrigued to have news of our illustrious ancestors.”
 
Kagome blinked some more, and nodded, since that seemed to be the safest response. Sessaki rumbled behind her. “Yours is not the only family that we have safeguarded through the centuries, Kagome…. Kosaru, explain what she must do.” Kosaru nodded, and smiled at her.
 
“We need you to impregnate these sutras with your power. Not enough to burn them to ash…just enough to coat them. Here's a practise one…” He laid out a sutra with a flourish.
 
“Um…demonic or spiritual power?”
 
“Both, since I expect that you utilize them together when in battle.”
 
“I've never tried doing this before….”
 
“That's why we're practising, Lady Kagome. Give it a try.”
 
She bit her lip as she flamed her fingertips, pink on one hand, silver on the other. At Kosaru's urging, she rotated her wrists until her hands were palms down, the flames obediently flickering as if they were still upright. Cautiously, she slid one hand under the other…and the flames mingled. “Very good, Lady Kagome…now lower the energy to the paper, and we'll see how well it takes…” To her considerable surprise, it worked, the parchment glowing pink, the kanji turning silver. Kosaru quickly slid the other sutras under the flame one after the other, like an assembly line, until all were glowing faintly with power.
 
Kagome extinguished the flames, and then watched with a growing sense of unease as Kosaru took the sutras and laid them on a vest identical to the one she now wore, just larger in size. One over the heart, one over each kidney, one protecting the liver, one on each lung; the kanji flared, then the whole sutra sank into the fabric.
 
She thought she honestly might faint when Sessaki shouldered into the vest, buckling it up and then fixing her with an eye gone yellow and hard. “Consider this your final exam of this session, Higurashi…prepare yourself.”
 
Shimano was at her elbow, tugging her backwards; she turned and grabbed the front of his gi. “What the hell is going on?”
 
“A youkai-style sparring match.” Kogashu answered for the kitsune, coming up to her. “Why do you think your power went into his armour? He can't kill you, and now you can't kill him…but you can hammer the shit out of each other.”
 
A good part of Kagome's brain instantly took off into gibbering and screaming mode. She wheeled around to face the taiyoukai, who was in the process of dropping the rest of his concealment spell. “With all due respect, this is not funny, sir.”
 
“It is not intended to be amusing, Higurashi.”
 
“Are you challenging me?”
 
“Yes.” Kagome had the distinct impression that he mentally rolled his eyes.
 
“How will this match be different from any of our previous ones?”
 
“You have not utilized your full power, for fear of injuring me. This armour should set your mind at ease.” How did he know that?
 
“But…” Kagome kept stalling. “Since you're the challenger, I set the rules…you can use energy whips and claws, but no fangs or poison.”
 
“Agreed…we should not endanger the building's structural integrity.”
 
“Of course, my structural integrity doesn't count…”
 
“The match will end when you land a strike on my person.”
 
What?…Geez! Why don't you just order me to dismantle Mt. Fuji by hand!”
 
“Do not underestimate yourself…prepare, Higurashi, I will not warn you again.”
 
This time, she let Shimano lead her to the other side of the combat circle. Numbly, she tied her obi, tucking the ends in securely, and settled the scabbard against her hip, then began worrying the straps of her gauntlets. Red and green vapours misted around the blade guard, and Fenikkusuken was practically whistling a cheery tune.
 
Hey…Fenik?
Uh-huh?
I have to fight Sessaki…for real.
Interesting
I'd appreciate some help.
Hey, sweetheart…we're a team…and we're gonna kick some taiyoukai ass.
Actually, I'll settle for a nick in his armour…
Just relax, let me an' Riko take over…this is gonna be fun!
Oh, great…a freakin' keener. Hey, wait a minute…Midoriko? You weren't with me the last time?
No. If I was, the inu-youkai would have lost more than a mere few strands of hair.
Oh, boy…
::chortles::hey, Riko…ya ready to play?
Stop calling me `Riko'…don't worry Kagome, we'll protect you.
Ulp.
Now, sweetheart, just say that one little word that means so much…
Pardon?
Smarten up, Fenik. Use the word that Totosai gave you, Kagome.
Ummm…Why haven't we done this before?
You weren't ready. Now, dear, the word…
 
Kagome closed her eyes for a brief moment, trying to get the screaming part of her brain to shut up. Unbidden, a word flashed onto the inside of her eyelids. Ignite...
 
Very good, Kagome! You did listen to Totosai after all. “Ignite” will do nicely.
All right, sweetheart…give it a try.
 
She gripped her sheathed sword more firmly, half-whispered “Ignite”…and felt more power than ever before spiralling around her, wrapping her close…like when Inuyasha holds me…and she snapped her eyes open, narrowing when they locked in on Sessaki. She stood on the edge of the circle, blazing like a crystalline torch, that spectral canine head towering over her. Sessaki was somewhat disconcerted to note that the head, instead of snarling at him, was laughing doggishly. He shook that away, and took up a stance.
 
“Ready, Higurashi?”
 
A dangerous smile curved Kagome's lips as she flicked the blade guard, allowing streamers of coloured fire to pour down to the floor, and a cool voice that was hers, yet not, spoke. “Locked and loaded, sir.”
 
And then she moved.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
The match was intense, fast and violent. Kosaru, Kogashu and Shimano flattened themselves against the wall in front of the sliding door; Kosaru flinched from a near-miss energy whip, and sighed. “I think a barrier might be a good thing…care to join me?”
 
Just as he was about to set one, the door behind him slid open, and Yashita stepped in. Shimano was on him in a flash. “Yash, are you sure you should be here? You can't interfere, no matter what your instincts say…”
 
“I had to be here for my mate. Next to Naraku, this is the toughest opponent she'll ever face…Kagome needs me.” His eyes became amber, and his ears poked up from under his hair as he closed the door. Kosaru grinned, and quickly threw up a purplish barrier, enclosing all four men.
 
“Lady Kagome packs quite a punch. Her shield abilities are most remarkable.”
 
“Just wait until she gets serious, and pulls that sword on him…”
 
“He is also wearing a sword, I see…”
 
“That's Tenseiga…it's Sessaki's insurance if she does nail him with a full blast.”
 
“He is not using Tokijin?”
 
“No…she hasn't encountered it yet in the past, so he didn't see the need to pull it out of the vault.”
 
“Where is that damned blade, anyways?” Kogashu asked.
 
Yashita snorted. “Locked up at the fortress with more security than the Imperial Treasury.”
 
Kosaru looked thoughtful. “When was the last time Lord Sessaki carried it into battle?”
 
“Hmm…during Toba Fushimi, during the Boshin War, I think. Isn't that right, Yash?” Shimano asked.
 
“Yeah…when I thoroughly kicked your ass for the last time, wolf.”
 
Kogashu grinned, showing a fair bit of fang. “Almost got you during the Bakumatsu…”
 
“You and those damned `wolf-packs' of yours…”
 
“Hey, we did what we had to do to keep the peace in Kyoto.”
 
Shimano's attention was drawn outside the security of the barrier. He tugged on Yashita's sleeve. “Better drop it and watch, Yash…things are getting interesting…”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Kagome had the very odd sensation that she was a spectator to this match that her body was participating in, with little influence from herself. This `ignited' version of herself, holding Fenikkusuken against her hip, was dodging around the dojo, often barely touching the ground while avoiding Sessaki's strikes with an easy grace worthy of the taiyoukai himself. She rolled and dove, skidded and spun, all without drawing her weapon or breathing hard, making sure she was always just out of range of his claws and whip.
 
The taiyoukai snarled at her and dove, claws extended; he had to pull up sharply to avoid hitting the wall, his claws tearing out a long strip of wood. Insult was nearly added to injury when his target, who had nimbly darted away at the last moment, snapped up a small fist that just missed his elbow. Kagome heard her own voice snarking at Sessaki in a manner she would never have usually dared when he missed her again. Who was this person?
 
Introducing… the Phoenix of Legend.
Crap…
Watch that energy whip
Um…was that the ceiling I just ran across…?
Yup. You're using the concussion of his strikes to propel yourself…and doing it rather gracefully, I might add.
That's weird… he seems to be moving more slowly…
You can see that? Excellent
Is he slowing down?
No…you're speeding up. Is it time, Riko?
Definitely, Fennie.
All right, sweetheart… pull this off, and the Phoenix really takes flight…
Or crashes and burns…
Just follow our lead. Count down from ten, and release the Fang.
Here goes…anything else I should watch for?
Yeah…pay attention to your landing.
 
Kagome planted her booted feet squarely on what she dimly realized was a wall panel, and launched back towards the hovering taiyoukai. He began to spin, whirling an energy whip around him. In slow motion, she watched herself somersault over his head, unsheathing her blade at the same moment and slicing through the energy whip, sending remnants of it splattering around the room. Touching down, she braced herself, aimed the sword…and let the blast go.
 
Time crawled. Wide-eyed, she watched Sessaki complete a final, full rotation, halt himself facing her, his eyes widen, and his head snap to the left as the energy surge streaked past his ear and smashed into the far wall. Kagome saw his armour rip open over his shoulder, and a spray of blood dapple the tough fabric. His disbelieving eyes were dragged from the injury to her face when she shouted and raced towards him. Mistaking her concern for another attack, he shoved himself up towards the ceiling, out of range.
 
Time lurched forward when the sword's shockwave ricocheted off the rear wall. It bowled her over, tossing her back across the floor, until she threw up a barrier and somehow rolled up onto her knees, supporting herself with her sword, gasping. In very slow motion, the outer wall panels shredded and blew outward into the grey late-winter garden, cartwheeling on the updrafts of power. She closed her eyes and groaned as a frigid blast swept into the room.
 
Didn't we tell you to watch your landing?
Hush, Fenik…she did a terrific job.
Yeah, she did…hey, sweetheart… ya done good.
Thanks…now go away and let me die in peace.
Can't do that. You've still got a mission. And…I think the Big Dog wants to chat with you.
 
Kagome lifted her head and observed Sessaki floating down towards her. She staggered upright and towards the taiyoukai, who ignored her to seat himself while unbuckling his armour. She knelt nearly knee-to-knee with him; he merely glanced at her while assessing the minor damage to his shoulder, then tossed the armour into her lap.
 
“S-sir? Are you…okay?”
 
“I am relatively uninjured, Higurashi….I must admit to experiencing some surprise that you actually managed to strike me.”
 
“Um…thanks?” She poked an experimental fingertip through the hole in the shoulder guard, then met his eyes, which were full of approval.
 
He curved a smile. “You are ready to face the next part of your mission. We will do all we can to support you from this end.” She looked away, and tried to calm down completely. This incident had not only tested her sword, but also her nerves. They felt wound up like a bowstring, and ready to snap. She jumped a little when Sessaki spoke. “Are you fully in control of your power?” She nodded, swallowing. “Demonstrate.”
 
Taking in a deep, steadying breath, Kagome cleared her mind. For a moment she was sure she heard Fenik chortle, instantly admonished by Midoriko's clear tone. Ignite… When she raised her dark-lashed eyes to his, molten silver gleamed and ribbons of moonlight spun around her body. Her chin came up, and coloured vapour began to leak from her sword's scabbard. Sessaki nodded, satisfied. A silence fell over the room. As the contained power drained away, Kagome found that she was shivering; she lifted a shaking hand to push her sweaty bangs out of her eyes. The dojo suddenly felt very cold. Behind her, Yashita whined briefly, picking up on her distress.
 
“What is it, Kagome?” Sessaki's voice was gentle.
 
“I-I really am the weapon…”
 
“It is your destiny.”
 
“Destiny has a strange sense of humour, then.” Sighing deeply, she shoved herself upright and straightened. Her head came up, and she scanned the room of familiar faces. Sessaki stood up beside her; his clawed fingers rested on her shoulder.
 
“The Phoenix of Legend.” And to her considerable discomfort, the varied demons in the room straightened up smartly, and saluted her. She looked around, feeling again overwhelmed, and in part of her soul, a touch of sadness took hold. I understand how Kikyo felt, trapped in a destiny she didn't want…but I will not try to escape mine. It is my duty.
 
Back as stiff as if she was lined up for inspection on the parade ground, she bowed formally back, and then turned to salute Sessaki. “Thank you very much for all your help, sir. I am indebted to you.” Then she spun on her heel and quick-marched out of the room, stopping only to scoop her old cuirass on her way out the door.
 
Yashita started after her, only to be stopped by Sessaki with a low warning growl. He turned to remonstrate, but was stopped by the haunted look in his brother's eyes. “She has left us already, Yash…she belongs to the mission.” Sessaki jerked his silver head at Shimano. “Take Kagome home…she should not be subjected to the curiosity of the regular drivers.” Shimano tossed off a salute and disappeared out the door. Kosaru picked up Kagome's discarded gi and brought it over to Yashita.
 
“A memento of your mate, Yashita.” He looked towards the non-existent wall, where tattered bits of wood were fluttering in the draft. “Hope the Emperor is in a good mood…I'm surprised that my sutras couldn't hold it…”
 
“Even your ancestor's sutras could not have contained that. She has enough power to level this entire wing.”
 
“So…she actually did hit you, Sess? Fair and square?”
 
Sessaki locked eyes with his younger brother. “I have never thrown a match for any reason.”
 
Kogashu whistled through his teeth. “All that power…in such attractive packaging…Oww! Geez, can't I even be appreciative?”
 
“Keep your comments to yourself, wolf…you'll increase your chances of living until the brat's wedding. Uh, sorry, Sess. Didn't mean to imply my lovely niece was a brat…bad taste in husbands, maybe.”
 
“I cannot disagree with you, brother.”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Shimano let Kagome out at the bottom of the steps of the shrine. The girl had been extremely quiet all the way home, her eyes focussed on her internal landscape. She rallied enough to smile at him. “Thanks, Shimano…I guess I won't see you for a while…”
 
“Don't worry, Kagome. You'll be all right. What I wouldn't give to see the look on Inuyasha's face when you demo your new power, though!”
 
She chuckled wryly. “If I mess it up, you'll probably have no trouble sensing it…”
 
“Kosaru plastered sutras all over the shrine boundaries a couple of years ago…it is completely warded for your protection. See ya later, mom.”
 
“See ya, runt.” Grinning, Kagome hopped out of the car and waved goodbye as he pulled away, honking. Sighing, she turned to clomp up the stairs…and was met halfway by her hanyou, wearing fleeces and a bandanna…and boots against the wet.
 
“What're you doing home so early, wench?”
 
Smiling at him as he relieved her of her kit bag, then tucked her under his arm, she said, “I passed a special test in my training…I want to show you something…”
 
A big happy smirk covered his face. “Keh! I've already seen it…looking forward to another free show tonight…”
 
Hentai…I'm being serious!”
 
“So'm I!”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
After lunch with Mrs. Higurashi, Ojii-chan and Inuyasha, Kagome waited until her grandfather had disappeared for his nap before she pulled out her shiny new trick. Inuyasha flopped down on the mat in the living room, snagged Buyo off of the pile of newspapers, and turned him upside down to tickle his paws. Buyo, who had not been thrilled with the hanyou since being evicted out of his accustomed spot on Kagome's bed, tried to right himself and stalk away indignantly…he might as well have tried to escape a hungry boa constrictor.
 
Mrs. Higurashi seated herself neatly, and gave her daughter a bright, expectant look. Kagome smiled bravely, and straightened herself. Her aura began to crackle; Inuyasha's head popped up, his eyes keen. Buyo took the opportunity to make good on his getaway, and fled to the laundry room, where he settled on a pile of clean towels, furiously licking his rumpled fur.
 
Ignite
 
Mrs. Higurashi let out a squeak of surprise and scooted backwards when Kagome fixed her with a molten gaze, as the silvered flames armoured her. Controlling her breathing, Kagome slowly unsheathed Fenikkusuken and held it out to the side, tip down. Inuyasha was transfixed as the blade flared. For a long moment, time held its breath.
 
“Shit, wench…that's a pretty good trick! Whoops…” Those predator's eyes locked on him, the sword tip swinging around. He got ready for evasive action, until Kagome sheathed her sword and relaxed her body, her eyes darkening to grey. He bounded over to her, taking her chin in his fingers, and sniffing her thoroughly before kissing her. “Keh! That was amazing…not as impressive as the `Wind Scar', of course…”
 
Kagome whacked him in the chest with her gauntleted hand and rolled her eyes. “Just wait until I chase you down while I'm in `Phoenix mode', dog-boy. You won't know what's hit you. Why were you sniffing me?”
 
“Your scent changed slightly when you did that; I want to memorize it.”
 
“Kagome? What was that?” Mrs. Higurashi edged closer to her daughter, who smiled gently and enfolded her mother in a hug.
 
“That was a preview of the weapon that will take down Naraku. Lucky I can control it now; otherwise, part of the house would be missing.”
 
“Well, we can certainly be thankful for small mercies, can't we? Kagome…is your mission about to re-start?”
 
The dark-haired girl bit her lip, but nodded. “I have a feeling that things are going to get going very quickly…we have to be ready to move at a moment's notice.”
 
“Well! I'll just have to feed you as much as I can, before you go back on rations full-time.”
 
“Keh…I wouldn't mind a bit of ramen… just to keep up my strength…”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Upstairs a few minutes later, Inuyasha watched Kagome intently as she removed her tunic and her new body armour. She transferred the pouch of shards from her cuirass to the vest, stuffing it into a little pocket sewn in just over her heart. The hanyou got up off the bed and took her hand in his clawed one.
 
“What is it?”
 
“Call up your power again.”
 
She tried to pull her hand out of his grip. “Why do you want me to do that?”
 
“I want to see if it will zap me.”
 
“Huh?”
 
“I might have to restrain you in battle, Kagome…I want to know what'll happen if I grab you.”
 
“You'll just get smacked…”
 
“I'd still like to try…being zapped, that is, not smacked.”
 
“Okay, dog-boy…here goes…”
 
Ignite… Kagome gasped, as the silver flames coiled down her arm, and continued up Inuyasha's, wrapping around the hanyou until he glimmered. Silver eyes met gold, as he pulled her close, and kissed her.
 
“Looks like it recognizes me…this is good.” Kagome let the power dissipate, wondering why it suddenly allowed the hanyou's touch....then blushed when she realized it was probably because of their recent intimate activities. She had chosen him, after all. Was that Fenik snickering…?
 
“Why're you turning pink, wench?” He touched her chin with a claw, grinning at her.
 
“Don't get too happy, Inuyasha. I'll bet my sword will still flame you if you get out of hand.”
 
“Oh, I'm sure that cranky piece of shit will bite. At least I don't have to worry about the silver-eyed demon cutting my throat anymore.”
 
Kagome was sure she heard Fenik laughing…
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж