InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Phoenix Blade: Time Lapse ❯ Thaw ( Chapter 33 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: Don't own…don't sue. Probably should be spanked, considering what I'm doing to them…
 
A/N: Lemon Alert…yes, it's the `big one'…underage readers should come back roughly half-way through. This fic ain't rated `M' for `mulligatawny'…
 
`Shinkansen' is the `bullet train', `anata' means `dearest husband' and `aisai' is `beloved wife'…
 
The Phoenix Blade: Time Lapse
Chapter 33:Thaw
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Sengoku Jidai
 
The weather had been filthy, as it alternated between fitful, very wet snowfalls and a bit of thawing. The four compatriots were restless, waiting like hounds in the kennel, itching to be released back out on the hunt. When the slush froze, it was dangerously icy, but underneath the thick layer of snow, the sounds of trickling could be plainly heard on the warmer days. Winter was almost done; there was a sense of expectancy, of anticipation for something to happen.
 
The day after that incredible `final exam' courtesy of Lord Sessaki, the Academy delivery truck had dropped off enough food rations to feed everyone in the village for the next few months, until the first crops grew. Over the next several days, Kagome and Inuyasha spent more time on the other side, to acclimatize themselves to living rough again after a pretty comfortable winter. The presence of the shards attracted more demons; they had a pretty lively time of it, as creatures seemed to come out of hibernation all at once. The shield barrier around the village held, so it was more like a daily practise session. With varying expletives thrown in, a typical encounter ran something like this:
 
Hiraikotsu!”
 
“Feel the flame, slimeball!”
 
“Behind you, houshi…Tetsusaiga!”
 
“Thank you, Inuyasha…allow me, samas! Vortex!”
 
Then Inuyasha would bitch that there weren't any Jewel shards to make it worth their time, Sango would fume that she hadn't really even warmed up, Miroku would offer to help her with that problem and Kagome would dodge out of the way of the toppling monk. Occasionally, Kagome would muse that they ought to plan out some coherent attacks, rather than responding piecemeal, but Inuyasha would just get this superior look on his face and make some comment about how it always came down to his strength, anyways. The first time he stated this `fact', she rolled her eyes and stuck out her tongue at him… and then found herself pinned bodily up against the nearest tree trunk, an intense hanyou muttering in her ear a few other uses for her tongue that had her blushing madly.
 
If she had any inkling of what was to come, she would have `sat' him a few more times just to keep him humble.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Kagome helped steady Kaede on the mucky ground as the old woman pushed the reinforced door mat aside and clumped in. The girl took a moment to shake the water off her shoulders before stepping in and preparing to take off her mud and snow-encrusted boots.
 
“Ah, Kagome-sama. Inuyasha wants you.” Damn that Miroku! He could make the simplest request sound like a proposition.
 
She shot the monk a look, then glanced around, noting the hanyou's absence. “Where's dog-boy disappeared to now? It's wet, it's cold, and I don't wanna go out there again!” Miroku merely looked at her; she sighed. “Waiting for a propitious moment to impart to me where the inu is waiting, houshi? In five seconds, this boot will be impacting your jaw…”
 
“Ever the gracious sama…He is awaiting you at the storage shed.”
 
Kagome groaned theatrically. “Out there? What the heck for? Oh, crap…it's our turn to do the perimeter check, isn't it? Damn, damned, damnable…it's warm in here, the tea is made…shit! All right, I'm on my way…”
 
“I believe you will be of a more favourable viewpoint once you arrive at your destination, sama.”
 
Kagome paused, giving the monk a hairy eyeball. “Huh? A perimeter check is a perimeter check… what's up, houshi?”
 
He smirked. “Not a word shall pass my lips.”
 
“Even if I let Sango pulverize you with the Hiraikotsu?'
 
“Don't make promises you are not prepared to keep, Kagome-sama.”
 
“Your idea of foreplay and mine are so far apart, we're not even in the same solar system, houshi.” Kagome jumped a little when a hand descended on her shoulder from behind, and the slayer pushed her to the side, as she was blocking the door rather handily.
 
“You'd better hurry, Kagome. Inuyasha is waiting for you. Don't forget your arrows…”
 
“I'm going, I'm going…ask Miroku what he wants you to do with the Hiraikotsu, Sango. It'll keep the evening lively…bye, Kaede-sama. Hey, where's Shippo?”
 
“Thine kit was invited to stay with Hiro-kun and Fumi-chan's family for the evening.”
 
“He seems to be having fun with them…” she caught Sango's look, and began backing out the door. “Fine, I'll go see what dog-boy wants…don't drink all the tea, houshi.” She paused at his snicker to toss a glare at him. He instantly smoothed his countenance, looking as innocent as possible. Something's up
 
She was grumbling fairly audibly by the time she crossed the field and slipped and slid up the hill to the little hut, cursing the mud squishing up around her boots. There was obviously a fire going in there, because the cracks around the door glowed faintly. Finally slithering to a halt in front of the door, she banged on the frame. “It's me…can I come in?”
 
“Oi, wench…took you long enough.”
 
“Well, can't schedule a sick kid to turn off…what's up? Why are you out…here…oops. Oh, crap. I can't believe that I lost track of time that badly…” A dark-haired hanyou gave her a rather withering look out of his violet eyes, as she stood with a hand over her mouth. “Um…perimeter check?”
 
“Keh! Shut the damn door! It's taken forever to heat this place up…the houshi and I did the check already.” She jumped, and quickly closed the wooden panel, then crouched to take off her filthy boots. As she looked around, avoiding the hanyou's eye, she noticed that a few changes had taken place. All the storage things were neatly stacked against one side, and the walls had at least two extra layers of matting fastened over them. There was a brazier burning merrily in the centre…and on the side opposite the stacked boxes and barrels was a bed. A pallet, really, made of thickly layered soft hay, stacked with blankets, a few of which were turned down. A bed big enough for two people, if they were being very friendly. Inuyasha noticed the direction of her glance, and couldn't miss the blush that covered her cheeks while she pretended to have trouble unbuckling her boots.
 
“Did you bring the arrows?”
 
She looked up quickly, then away. “We could have gone through the well, and stayed over there…”
 
“Keh…with your mom, brother and the old man on the other side of the wall? No thanks. Just us, Kagome…please?”
 
“Okay…” Her smile was shy, and a bit cautious, but she was staying. Relief burst in his heart. He watched her flame the arrows and plant them in the corners of the hut, then drop her quiver and stretch upward to press the barrier against the ceiling. Sensing his opportunity, he darted to her, and lifted her into the air, pushing the barrier higher. She dropped her hands lightly onto his shoulders; he let her slide down his chest slowly, his arms holding her tightly against him, until her toes touched the planking and their lips were only a heartbeat apart. “Inuyasha…?”
 
His answering kiss was soft, gentle but strong, and when he felt her melt against him, he deepened it, intensified it until she was making sexy little sounds against his mouth. They finally had to come up for air; both their eyes were misty. “So this is what you've been up to…” Kagome smiled, gesturing around at the modified hut.
 
“I wanted to make sure that you were comfortable.”
 
“How comfortable?” There was a gleam in her eye that he hoped meant something.
 
“Comfortable enough to stay… with me?…Please?”
 
Second time he's said the `p' word in three minutes…this is serious.
Yes.
You mean you're going to?
You might want to vacate for a while…don't want you melting your retinas…
Hm. Fennie… oh Fenik…we're going out for a while, dear.
What? She's finally going to get lucky, and we're going to miss it? Damn!
Come along, you metallic hentai
Ow! Leggo the ear, woman!
 
Kagome took a deep breath, smiled widely at the hanyou and pulled away from him. Backing up, she first pulled the sheathed katana out of her obi, then held his eyes for a long moment while she searched for the right words.
 
Koibito, I don't know for how long we can be together….but I want to spend the rest of the time given us…as your mate.” The look he gave her, the way his heart quickened in her chest, she knew this was it. No turning back…as if she was seriously going to, anyways. I've wanted him for so long… She took another deep breath, squared her shoulders, and turned towards the door. Sizing up her target, she pulled Fenikkusuken out of its sheath… and drove the blade on an angle through the door and deeply into the wooden doorframe.
 
“What are you doing, wench? Nobody is going to bother us out here tonight…”
 
She ducked her head as she turned around, and felt her cheeks turn pink. Slowly, she raised her eyes to his, searching for reassurance, then blushed some more. “Oh, this isn't to keep people out…it's to keep you from running away screaming.”
 
He smiled at her, then found he was biting his lip to keep from giggling nervously. Kagome dropped the quiver and the sheath on the floor next to the door, unwound her obi, and then, locking her eyes on his, began to unclip her tunic.
 
Inuyasha was across the hut in a heartbeat, pulling her hands away from the hardware, kissing her with such intensity that she twisted her fingers away and ran them into his hair while he gripped her tightly in a full-body hug. He broke the kiss, panting a little, and rested his forehead against hers. “I've been fantasizing about peeling you out of that thing for so long…”
 
“Does the fantasy include what happens after you take it off?” she asked softly, watching his fingers undo the clips. Then she caught his hands and peered up into his face. “Hey…you're actually going to let me see you? When did you decide you believed me?”
 
“I've thought about it a lot since then…I've had this place ready for a while, but the first time everything works…it's the night of the New Moon. I don't want to put this off; I want you to be mine, even if the scent marking isn't quite what I want…”
 
“Well, we could wait until tomorrow morning…”
 
“Forget that.” His lips were both soft and demanding as he slipped the heavy tunic from her shoulders, dropping it at the end of the pallet. His fingers brushed up and down her arms, between the vest and the gauntlet, until his touch raised goose bumps and Kagome was sighing into his mouth. Inuyasha pulled away, and scowling, began undoing the straps holding the curved techno-material to her forearms. “Sometimes I think that Armoury has it in for me…”
 
Kagome stifled a giggle, instead doing her best to distract him by blowing lightly in his human ear and then kissing the outer rim. As much as she liked his dog ears, she secretly thought his human ones were very attractive as well… `shell-like' actually. When both her arms were free of plating, Inuyasha started at one wrist, kissing and nibbling all the way up, detouring up her throat to her jaw, then working his way back down to the opposite palm. The buckles up the front were released, and the armour joined the tunic in the discard pile.
 
Inuyasha was just working his fingers under the band of her sport bra, when Kagome caught his hands, and went to work on his haori and juban. Kissing him every bit as intently, she pulled both layers out of his hakama, and began loosening the ties, sliding her hands under the warmed fabric and over his skin. He stiffened, making small sounds of pleasure when her fingertips brushed over his nipples as she wound her bare arms around his torso and snuggled in close, enjoying the sensations of firm muscles and naked skin. His fingers untied the thong holding her hair, and loosened the braid until her dark tresses ribboned down her back.
 
He went back at her bra, and this time she released him long enough to let him pull it over her head and toss it. She was just slipping her arms back around his waist when he slid out of his clothing and dropped the fire-rat over her shoulders. “Put it on,” he whispered, guiding her arms through the sleeves, then nipped at her lower lip to beg entrance to her mouth. Tongues sliding, fluttering against each other, hands cupping, caressing, exploring…Kagome wasn't sure how long they stood there, but she was aware that she was nearly throbbing with need, her hips pressing rhythmically against his. She went to undo the waistband of her trousers herself, but his larger hands were there first, releasing the clip and the zipper, sliding the leather down over the swell of her hips. His mouth only relinquished her lips when it became too difficult to maintain contact and remove the almost-last barrier at the same time.
 
Inuyasha didn't need his demon senses to tell him that Kagome was incredibly aroused as he slipped the trousers off with her assistance. He knelt, gripping her bottom with both hands as he kissed the centre of her heat through the fabric of her shorts. She threaded her fingers into his hair and gasped at the sensations his hot breath and the pressure of his lips caused to surge through her body. With a growl that would have been positively feral a few hours before or the morning after, the hanyou pulled the intervening fabric down and buried his face in her short curls, eliciting a gasp from the girl above him. He only paused a few moments, steadied her as he removed the shorts from around her ankles, and stood up, stroking his hands up her bare skin from mid-thigh all the way up to her breast, which he gently cupped with one hand while using the other at her waist to carefully manoeuvre her backwards.
 
Kagome felt herself being laid down, and whimpered slightly when Inuyasha moved away. He knelt beside her on the pallet, drinking in her tumbled hair, darkened eyes, pink swollen lips, and her lithe body both concealed and revealed by his parted robes. He trailed a fingertip downward from her throat, nudging aside the fabric until a clear path marked the centreline of her figure all the way to her sex. Bending his head, he retraced that line all the way back up to her lips with his tongue, running his hands over her body, moaning into her mouth when her own hands found skin to stroke, both bared and still covered by fire-rat. He shuddered slightly when one hand slipped into the gap in the waistband of his hakama on the outside of his thigh and began to lightly trace patterns on the exposed skin.
 
Inuyasha pulled away a bit, and sat back on his heels to enjoy looking at her. Kagome was lightly flushed, panting softly, and her body was moving, nestling into the pallet, practically begging him to keep touching her by the way she moved when he ran his fingertips up her inner thighs. “Ever since that day on the riverbank, when you wrapped yourself in my haori, I've wanted to see you in it again…then take you out of it to cover you in my scent. Gods, Kagome...I've dreamed of doing this with you for so long…and the night it comes true, I feel like I have a heavy blanket covering up all my senses…”
 
Kagome couldn't help a lopsided grin, her grey eyes smoky with desire. “Look on the bright side…if you actually make me scream, I won't deafen you…”
 
“Oh, I plan on practising until I make you scream, koishii…” With that, he laid himself down beside her, and while his tongue and teeth made the tender flesh of her breasts harden, his clawless fingers gently touched the heated softness between her legs until she was bucking urgently against his hand, gripping his shoulders and crying out against his lips. So involved in the reactions he was teasing out of her body, he nearly jumped a mile when one of her hands gripped hold of him through his hakama.
 
Fumbling, Kagome tugged on the knot at his waist, but she couldn't release it. Finally, Inuyasha pulled back, and undid the tie himself…and pushed the red fabric down over his thighs and off, giving Kagome a view reminiscent of her very first glimpse of him. The only significant difference was that his pubic hair was now as black as the long strands clinging damply to his shoulders. She lightly riffled her fingers though the soft darkness, was pleased when he arched into her hand, groaning…then watched with widened eyes as he slid first one knee and then the other between her thighs, seeing the tension build in his face as he lowered himself against her. She traced the muscles on his abdomen, then his chest, then his throat and shoulders until they were nose-to-nose, conscious of how good their bodies felt against each other, unencumbered by clothing or concerns beyond this place on this night.
 
Koishii….” his voice was a sigh against her ear as he kissed lightly, breathily across her cheek, as his hand stroked her breast, as she moved her hips against his, pleading a deeper touch, her own hands racing up and down his back, tangling in his hair, cupping the lean muscles of his girdle and brushing over the swell of his buttocks.
 
Koibito…please…” Her voice awakened something deep within him, even in his human state, and he couldn't have stopped himself if he tried. With a soft growl, he tilted her hips up, and slid slightly into her, watching her face. When she gasped a bit, her body stopped moving and her breathing accelerated, he held back for a moment.
 
“Kagome…do you…are you…?” Her hips were once again moving, trying to bring him closer; she gripped his waist, panting, eyes glowing and clear.
 
Yes, Inuyasha…now.” She went rigid with a soft cry when he thrust deeply into her, but then they were moving together, urgently, sliding slickly over and against and inside each other, muffling their voices in each other's mouths and throats and hair until the white-hot firestorm consumed them...
 
Wowthat was…she was…I want to…can we…again?!
 
Inuyasha could barely prop himself up to look at his Kagome, her eyes closed, hair clinging in damp little curls at her temples, skin glowing and sheened with moisture, lips parted as she panted lightly. Her hands flexed against his hips, pulling strands of inky hair into patterns on his sweat-slicked back. He brought his hands to cup her face, kissed her brow, dipped the tip of his tongue between her lips, all the while revelling in the feeling of being surrounded by her body, her love. His heart constricted a little, even in the warmth of her touch, the purring sighs she breathed against his shoulder.
 
She does love me, right?
 
As if he'd said that out loud, Kagome opened her beautiful, smoky grey eyes, smiled sweetly, sexily up at him…and bound him to her more thoroughly than the rosary ever could. “I love you, Inuyasha… with all my heart and soul. You belong with me.” Her arms pressed him closer to her in an embrace that spoke more eloquently than words. He choked, his eyes suddenly prickling, and he kissed her as deeply and thoroughly as he could, until he thought he might be able to speak without losing control of his voice.
 
“Kagome…my Kagome…I will never leave you; I will always protect you. Always. I love you, koishii…be mine? Be my mate?”
 
She chuckled softly, while running one hand up and down his back, the other wrapped around the nape of his neck. “Always, and only yours, koibito….but aren't you supposed to ask me that before?”
 
“Keh…I was a little preoccupied.”
 
“So was I.” She blushed a bit, and squirmed slightly under him. “Um, you know, I'm pretty sure I didn't scream…”
 
His smile was so shy and eager and bright, it would have lit a torch. “Wanna do that again?”
 
Kagome trailed a fingertip over his lips, then leaned up to nip his lower lip gently before kissing him in a manner that left no doubt as to her answer. With a groan, he surrendered himself to the sweet movements of the erotic dance that had both of them crying out at the end, Kagome's voice screaming his name, and his, a strangled shout.
 
Long after, Inuyasha slipped from the pallet and re-stocked the embers in the brazier with more charcoal, looking at his mate in the flickering light. His mate. Finally Her face was far more relaxed than he had ever seen it, her breathing soft and even. He adjusted the fire-rat around her before sliding back alongside her, pulling up the blankets and curling himself around her. For a night of the New Moon, this one rated as eventful, just not in the usual way…
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Just before dawn the next morning, Inuyasha awakened first, conscious of feeling completely rested… he also became instantly aware of the warm, wonderfully-scented woman he held in his arms. He dipped his nose into the crook of her neck, inhaling deeply, and wishing the sun would rise more quickly, so that he could really smell her. In the dim light, he held up a hand, looking at the blunt-tipped fingers…then used those fingertips to lightly stroke the crescent of skin showing through the split shoulder seam of his fire-rat's sleeve. Kagome stirred a bit, made a small face, then sighed and burrowed backwards into his body, the contact making him almost instantly hard. When he thought of what they'd done the night before, he was more than eager to see if she liked being woken up that way...
 
He slipped his hand inside the haori, cupping her breast and stroking her skin tenderly while moving his hips against her. Kagome mumbled something, but tilted her head invitingly; he slid the haori off her shoulder and began kissing her tender skin. The girl rolled onto her back and opened misty grey eyes; a soft smile tilted her lips. “Good morning, koibito…”
 
“Good morning…aisai.” She flushed prettily, and pulled him down for a lingering kiss. Groaning softly, he pressed himself against her; Kagome giggled.
 
“You're up rather early this morning!”
 
“I've been dreaming of this for months, koishii…sleeping beside you every night has just been so much fuel for my fantasies…”
 
Kagome paused a moment, eyes darkening, then smiled up at him. “How about you give me a demonstration, anata…?” She arched herself, and slowly parted her thighs under him, allowing him entrance.
 
Inuyasha was only halfway sheathed when his transformation overtook him. He rose up over Kagome, supporting himself on his hands; his eyes widened, and an expression of sheer wonder appeared on his face as his hair silvered, his ears perked forward, his eyes flashed brilliant gold, his chest pulsed…and all his enhanced senses came roaring back in overdrive. He was utterly overwhelmed by their near-instantaneous return and nearly passed out from their assault on his system. Letting out a whimper, he gently collapsed onto her.
 
His eyelashes fluttered against her cheek; he heard her blood rushing through her veins, felt the heat rising. He flicked out his tongue and tasted the sweet sheen of her skin, then began to purr contentedly. Her scent…seductive, enticing…not strongly enough of him…yet. Only one way to fix that… He lifted himself onto his elbows, cradling her head in his hands.
 
“Kagome…my heart, my soul, my strength…I love you.”
 
The girl slid her hands up his chest, up his throat, into his hair, fondling his ears and pulled him down to kiss with teeth and tongue, and a low throaty growl. “Mine…be mine, koibito…” In answer, he curled his spine and slowly drove himself the rest of the way in, Kagome arching herself upwards to join him, her hands twisting into his hair, moaning sweetly as they began to move…
 
“Inuyasha! Kagome-sama! Quickly!” Miroku shouted from outside the pinned door. Inuyasha covered Kagome's ears, and gave a fang-baring roar over his shoulder.
 
This had better be fucking good, monk!”
 
There was a tiny hesitation from outside. “A large demonic aura is heading this way from the south-west…Sango-sama has confirmed it!”
 
“All right…we're on our way…” He waited until he heard footsteps slopping away from the door, then released Kagome's ears. She was regarding him with a gently amused expression; he kissed her deeply before slowly pulling away from her slick warmth. “Damn…nice timing, huh?… Shit!” Kagome chuckled and gave his ears a last rub before he slid out from under the blankets and stood up, yawning and tugging on his hakama. He turned to offer her his hand, and paused.
 
His mate was sitting up amidst the tangled nest of blankets, dark tendrils tumbling over her bare shoulders, holding his haori closed at her breast, her eyes and lips so soft and enticing that he could only drop to his knees in front of her, helpless to make his body move away. He reached for her, pouring his soul into the kiss until they ignited….slowly he pulled away, running his claws through her hair, then loosened the fire-rat from her fingers, dropping his head to kiss each of her exposed breasts in turn, then the pulse point on her neck… “Let's go, Kagome…duty calls…damn!”
 
Kagome shivered as he lifted her out of the warm bedding, and they began scrambling into their clothes. Inuyasha helped with the last few outer layers of hers, since he was ready rather more quickly. Kagome buckled her boots, tied her obi, and went to yank Fenikkusuken out of the doorframe. Just before she grasped the hilt, she turned and caught Inuyasha around the waist, kissing him as fiercely as she could. She pulled back, looking intently into amber eyes. “I love you…no matter what happens from now on, I am yours.”
 
Her hanyou grinned, and ran the back of his claw down her cheek. “I accept your gift, aisai…let's go see why the houshi has his fundoshi in a knot…” Inuyasha swung her onto his back outside the door, and they bounded off towards the southern edge of the village boundary, where they could see the Hiraikotsu's unmistakeable silhouette heading through the melting snowdrifts towards a dark figure that could only be Miroku. They hadn't covered much ground, when Kagome tensed. “What's up, koishii?”
 
“I think we know this demon…”
 
Naraku?!”
 
“Almost that bad…your brother.”
 
“What the fuck does that prick want?”
 
“Dunno…but it has to be important for him to look for us.
 
They skidded to a stop a few moments later, joining a grim-faced slayer as she readied her weapon. Miroku stayed relaxed, but definitely on alert. His voice dripped sincerity. “I am very sorry to interrupt you this morning, but I think you'll agree this was worthwhile.”
 
Inuyasha grunted, and pulled Tetsusaiga out of its sheath, the blade transforming immediately. “Since it's Sesshomaru we're talking about, I'll forgive you…best way to start your day is by kicking a piece of ass.”
 
“Hmm…I would much rather start my day by having a piece of…..”
 
Kagome turned scarlet, and Sango glared, as the hanyou leered broadly. “No argument there, monk.” Any further repartee was halted, as the double-headed tenbaryu, breathing clouds of white vapour, landed easily, and the tall, slender figure of Sesshomaru alighted gracefully, stalking within ten feet of the barrier. His cool gaze assessed each of them in turn, finally coming to rest on Kagome. Growling, Inuyasha protectively angled Tetsusaiga in front of her, and slipped his hand around her shoulder. Sesshomaru barely glanced at the hanyou.
 
“I would speak privately to you, miko.” Inuyasha's growl became rather louder, and broke off abruptly when Kagome stepped forward, brushing the Tetsusaiga aside. He caught her elbow.
 
“Kagome…are you nuts? You don't honestly trust that bastard?”
 
“If he tries anything, I'll purify his ass from here to the sixth hell. Don't worry…I'm gonna show off my new trick.” She squeezed his hand, and walked through the barrier, following Sesshomaru as he floated back toward his mount.
 
She carries the strong scent of a human male, the taiyoukai thought, his nostrils flaring, as if she's recently mated; how could my idiot brother put up with that?…and then that suspect scent was washed away by the sensation of spring flowers coated with ice, accompanied by the raw metallic tang of tremendous power. The demon lord's face was wiped clean of all reaction by the time he turned around to face her.
 
The girl's icy eyes and silvered armour glowed in the pale winter dawn, coloured vapour hissing out of the scabbard of her blade. Her chin was up; those predatory eyes assessed him carefully; her whole posture advertised her confidence. The demon lord couldn't keep a small note of surprise out of his voice.
 
“You…can control your powers, miko?”
 
“Yes.”
 
“I believe I know where Naraku is hiding.”
 
She digested that blunt statement for a moment, and arched an eyebrow. “Then why aren't you hunting him down yourself?”
 
“The wolf tribes on the northern borders of my lands are restive.”
 
“Okay, so you'll be busy…where is he?”
 
“I have had a report, from a very reliable source, that his distinctive miasma has been detected to the northeast of Kyoto, centred on Mt. Hiei.”
 
“Kyoto?… Crap…that's a good two weeks of hard travel at this time of year…”
 
“It may be the best opportunity to strike…it has taken him this long to recover enough to be detectable.” He turned to go, his silver hair whispering in the wind. Even though she already knew the answer, and had met the adult version, Kagome still felt compelled to ask.
 
“Sesshomaru?” He stopped, but did not turn around. “Did the little girl find you?”
 
A brief pause. “Yes.”
 
“Is she…well?”
 
“Her name is Rin.”
 
“Thank you, Sesshomaru.” He did not answer, just mounted his bizarre steed, and they quickly disappeared over the trees. Kagome felt her energy power-down, and turned to face her friends, walking quickly through the barrier. Inuyasha was sporting a ferocious scowl.
 
“What the hell did that bastard want?”
 
“He thinks he knows where Naraku has been hiding out.”
 
“What? Really? Where?”
 
“Near Kyoto…anybody feel like a road trip?”
 
Sango bit her lip. “Can we trust his information?”
 
“Sesshomaru may be a number of things, but devious and underhanded are not two of them…he says this came to him from a reliable source, so I see no need to disbelieve him.”
 
“So why isn't his royal fucking majesty dealing with it himself?”
 
“Apparently the northern wolf tribes are poking him with sharp sticks…”
 
“Stupid pieces of wolf-shit…”
 
“Let's go, Inuyasha…a trip to the Armoury is in my immediate future. Sango, Miroku…get packed up and ready to go by this afternoon. We'll ask Kaede-sama to borrow Juhi; I'll take Arashi, and we'll spell off on Kirara…we'll need groundsheets, winter sleeping bags, tents, extra rations…”
 
Miroku sighed and rubbed the back of his neck. “Buddha help me…I can see several hours of heavy lifting in my immediate future…”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Present Day
 
When Kagome and Inuyasha erupted out of the well, they found the small building stacked to the rafters with supplies, including two sets of bulging saddlebags, and a set of packs.
 
Kagome chewed her lip as she looked around, assessing the piles of boxes. “Wow… Our allies are on the ball. Look, can you start chucking this stuff through the well, and I'll go see if I can dig up more information on the best route to take…I don't see any arrow cases, do you?”
 
“There's one…no, two full cases over here in the corner, plus one of hunting bolts. Oi… come here, wench. You're not taking off anywhere until we tell your mother.”
 
“Tell her what? That we'll be gone for at least a month or two this time?” She caught the look in the hanyou's eye, and flushed, smacking herself in the forehead. “I really am an idiot…sorry, koibito. Of course we should tell mom she has an official hanyou-in-law.”
 
He shook his silver head, grinning. “Keh! I can't believe it wasn't that memorable… you certainly looked like you were enjoying yourself.”
 
“I did…and it was…”
 
“That's okay…I can think of a fun way for you to apologize…”
 
“Can you? Gotta catch me first…”
 
“Oi! When did you get so quick on your feet, wench?”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
“Mom! We have to…hey, that smells great! How did you know we'd be home in time for breakfast?”
 
“When the delivery truck from the Academy rolled up late yesterday, let's just say I had my suspicions.” Mrs. Higurashi's bright eyes fixed on her daughter, who was suddenly fidgeting and a rather pretty shade of pink. When the hanyou wrapped one arm around Kagome's waist, while smiling deeply into the girl's eyes, she knew something was up.
 
Kagome spoke first, after smiling back up at Inuyasha. “Um, mom, Inuyasha and I…well, um…we…um…” She stuttered into silence, blushing deep red. Inuyasha gave her a squeeze, and took over. He grinned at Mrs. Higurashi, over whom a light was beginning to flicker on.
 
“I am Kagome's mate, okaa-san…and she is mine.”
 
Mrs. Higurashi's mouth formed a perfect `0', and then she dropped her kitchen towel and came forward to wrap her arms around both of them. “Finally! It's been agonizing watching you two dance around each other…congratulations. I'm so happy…” The two blinked at each other over her head, surprise writ large on their faces. Then Mrs. Higurashi started to sniffle, prompting a couple of tight hugs, and then she was gently urged back into the kitchen, where they shared a lively breakfast.
 
Once they had eaten, Kagome went back to business. “Mom, I need to go to the Academy for a map of where we're going…it'd be so much easier if the `Shinkansen' ran in the Sengoku Jidai…”
 
“Oh, a map and this bag arrived with the supplies yesterday…I think it's full of money. Really, really old money.” Curious, Kagome dumped the bag, and several strings of silver coins tumbled out. Inuyasha picked one up between his claws and investigated it.
 
“It is money from the other side, Kagome…wonder how…”
 
“Probably copied it from old museum pieces or something. Not going to complain, since this means Miroku won't have to exorcise us a place to stay every night…”
 
“Keh! Let's hope it cramps his style, too.”
 
Kagome grinned. “I think between Shippo and Sango, he doesn't stand a chance at womanizing!” She smoothed out the square of heavy linen and leaned over it. “Look…the whole route has been mapped out…and all the inns marked on it. This is great!”
 
Mrs. Higurashi bent down for a look. “That's what used to be called the East Sea Road. Before modern transport, it was the common route from Tokyo to Kyoto.”
 
“If we leave the village today, how far could we get?”
 
“Maybe as far as Odawara, if the trail isn't too bad…were there any tents and groundsheets in that pile of stuff?”
 
“I'll go check…” Inuyasha bounded out the door, his hair swishing like a tail. Kagome smiled at her mother, and began folding up the map so it would fit inside her vest. Mrs. Higurashi drew two envelopes out of the pocket of her apron, and handed them to Kagome, then went to stand where she could watch the well house out of the kitchen window.
 
Kagome turned the heavy envelopes over in her hands, saw the chrysanthemum symbol on both, and two distinctive writing styles. One, carelessly elegant, signed `Sessaki'. The other, heavy and slashing…signed `Yashita'. She looked at her mother, who kept watching out the window. Quickly, she tore Sessaki's open. It comprised two neat, precise columns of kanji. The first one read, “Pay close attention to the terrain,” and the other, simply, “Good luck.”
 
She hesitated a moment before opening Yashita's. Quickly, she scanned the columns of closely-written characters that almost covered the paper's surface, then clenched her jaw, crumpling the missive in her hand, staring sightlessly for a moment, then rose from the table and thrust both papers back into her mother's hands.
 
“Burn them.” She ordered tersely, before kissing her mother firmly on the cheek and taking off out the door, jogging towards the well house. When she met Inuyasha on the step, she wrapped him in a hug and made his ears perk straight up with a heated kiss; he grinned down at her, and pulled her into the building, where they were lost to Mrs. Higurashi's view. Wondering at Kagome's intense reaction, she smoothed Yashita's note and began to read.
 
My heart, my soul, my strength…my Kagome,
 
It's killing me that I can't be with you, to shield you and protect you from what you are about to face.
 
Whatever happens, remember that I love you, and I would rather die than allow any true harm to come to you.
 
Our mating was a beautiful thing…I will never forget how you looked that night, wrapped in my fire-rat, your eyes so full of love for me that I swore to never, ever be parted from you, no matter the price that had to be paid.
 
My aisai…I think of you always, and look forward to the day when you will be mine alone.
 
Yash
 
Mrs. Higurashi wondered at Kagome's response to this, her first love letter from her husband…well, the older version, anyways…so decided to ignore her request to destroy it, instead folding it carefully and sliding it back into its envelope. She took both upstairs into her room and tucked them into the same drawer that held the beautiful combs and the small lacquered box containing the obi pin, plus the few belongings that she still had of her late husband, such as the obi from his wedding kimono. It was a special place to hold special things of the heart…Kagome would want this one day, she was sure of it.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Sengoku Jidai
Later that morning
 
“All right…everybody ready?” Kagome grinned as she looked over the motley collection of travellers from her vantage point on Arashi's back. Miroku smiled gamely while keeping a tight grip on Juhi's saddle. The brown gelding flicked his ears at Shippo, who was determined to sit right on the top of the horse's head. Juhi finally gave a vigorous shake and a snort, tossing the kit right into Sango's lap, where she sat astride Kirara. Miroku was wearing a bulging pack; Sango and Kagome had tied theirs together over Arashi's saddlebags. Even Shippo was outfitted with a small version; everyone had their gear…except Inuyasha, who was sulking thunderously, his hands thrust into the sleeves of his fire-rat. Kagome finally spared him a glance. “Come on, dog-boy…get a move on…”
 
“I'm not wearing that fucking pack!”
 
“I heard you quite clearly the first time…objection noted and sustained. I don't quite get why, but fine. Just don't bitch if we run out of ramen; I'm not carrying your portion…”
 
“Yeah, yeah…whatever. Let's just get on with it…fuck! I hate standing around.”
 
Kagome would have loved to drop him face-first into the melting snow bank with a `sit', but reconsidered at the thought that wouldn't be a nice thing to do to her husband…well, not on the first day of the official relationship, anyways. Instead, she smiled at him, then turned her head to say goodbye to Kaede.
 
The old miko fixed her with that beady eye. “Are ye sure this is not a trap?”
 
Kagome nodded. “Naraku sets traps; Sesshomaru is too direct for that sort of thing. He's Inuyasha's brother, after all…they're really not that different…”
 
What?! Are you saying that I'm the same as that arrogant, pointy-eared, human-hating, son-of-a-bitch pretty boy?” Inuyasha was nearly spitting as he glared at her. Kagome sighed.
 
“I meant, he's honest…like you. Geez, Inuyasha, don't get your obi in a twist…why don't you go scout ahead…or something.”
 
“Fine!” He flung himself off, through the barrier, and disappeared into the trees. Sango and Miroku watched his exit, looked at each other, and shrugged. Kirara growled and went airborne, Shippo cheering from between her ears. Miroku took up the reins, and half-heartedly clucked at Juhi. Kagome and Kaede chuckled, and then the younger miko reached down to clasp hands with the elder. She then urged Arashi close enough behind Juhi so she could smack the gelding in the rump with the ends of her reins. Miroku let out a strangled yell as Juhi took off at a shambling trot, bouncing him mercilessly in the saddle. Kagome chortled, and sent Arashi after them with a nudge of her heels, black hair streaming free, her green cloak flaring behind her, enjoying the chilly wind on her face.
 
This is going to be an interesting trip…
Nice day to start, Phoenix.
I'm glad to have you along, Midoriko.
Hey, darlin'
Oh…hi, Fenik.
So…how was it?
Mom's breakfast? Great…nice of you to ask.
No…I meant...well, you know ::nudge, nudge, wink, wink::
I haven't the faintest idea of what you're talking about.
This is revenge for not telling you about Sessaki, isn't it?
Yup. And it's sweeeeet.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Late that afternoon, on the East Sea Road, not quite a third of the way to Odawara
 
“Kagome, Kirara is tiring…could we walk for a bit?”
 
“Certainly, Sango. I could use a break from horseback riding myself; haven't done much of it since before we shut down for the winter.” Kagome glanced over at Miroku, who was wearing an expression that suggested he thought death would be preferable to his current situation. “What do you say, houshi-doushi? Would some walking be a good idea?”
 
“Kagome-sama, that is the most delightful suggestion you have made all day. I would love to walk…”
 
“Forget it, monk. We have to keep moving, at least until we find a decent place to camp for tonight. Sango, you take Arashi. Kagome, you're with me.” Inuyasha hooked the girl off of Arashi's back and swung her onto his own, then took off into the trees before anyone else could react.
 
“Inuyasha…!” Kagome grumbled, but pulled his hair out of the way to fit more closely against him.
 
“This is why I didn't want to wear one of those stupid packs, wench…can't carry my koishii if I already have something on my back.”
 
“You could've just said that, instead of being a grump.” She curled her hands around him, and rested her chin on his shoulder. “I guess we'll have to camp outdoors tonight…darn! I was looking forward to watching Sango haggle our way into a decent room…”
 
Our way? You mean I have to share with the houshi, even though we're mated?” That nearly caused him to miss his footing on the tree branch he landed on, and he scrabbled a second or two, until he could launch again.
 
“Think about it, Inuyasha. That means paying for three rooms, not one or two…and if we're attacked, there's safety in numbers.” He leaped to the ground, and turned his head to fix her with a bright golden eye.
 
“Keh! I suppose that means I'll have to share a tent with him, too.”
 
Kagome leaned forward to kiss his cheek. “We're back on the mission, Inuyasha…we can't be caught with our pants down, literally or figuratively.”
 
He sighed heavily, his ears drooping. “This is going to be tough…”
 
Kagome choked slightly, thinking about the older version of her hanyou to whom she had said virtually the same thing weeks ago, and for nearly the same reason. She reached up and affectionately stroked one of his ears; he growled softly. “Yes, it will be…but it doesn't matter, because I was yours long before we mated, and you know it.”
 
“Yeah, but that stupid wolf won't, if we run into him again.”
 
“If he touches me, he's purified…no problem. He won't need a sense of smell, then, will he?”
 
“I still want something more permanent to mark you as mine…” A small light bulb went off in Kagome's head, and she smiled.
 
“I may have a solution, dog-boy.”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
A few hours later, once they had set up camp for the night, Kagome presented Inuyasha with the item she'd made during the meal preparation, following her bright idea of the afternoon.
 
“Hold out your hand, koibito.” He obeyed, and the girl looped a thin black cord around his right wrist, knotting it securely. “There! Now you have something of me to carry around with you.” She pushed up the sleeve and the gauntlet on her own arm to show him the silver bracelet she'd worn for months. As it gleamed in the firelight, he studied the one on his wrist for a few moments, then gave her a gentle smile. He reached his hand towards her cheek; she leaned in for a caress and was startled when he took his hand away…and there were some dark strands wound in his claws. “What the heck…dog-boy, what're you up to?”
 
He blushed and looked at her through his bangs. “Would you make a couple more?”
 
She quirked a smile up at him, guessing at his sudden shyness. “Sure, Inuyasha…what for?”
 
He really squirmed. “I want everyone to know that we're together…human as well as demon…”
 
Kagome reached over and hugged him before holding out her hand for the strands, and then waited while he cut a few more from his own head. Just before she started braiding, she affectionately ruffled his bangs. “I never pegged you for being a sentimental type, Inuyasha….”
 
“Keh!” He looked away, blushing some more, but didn't resist too much when she leaned up to kiss his cheek.
 
“Yuck! Would you two knock it off? Some demons are trying to eat around here!”
 
Shippo…!” The hanyou ground his fangs, and started to rise; Kagome caught his sleeve and pulled him back down, while smiling brightly at the kitsune, who was looking distinctly sulky.
 
“Sorry, Shippo…but you know, since you're my kit, that would make you Inuyasha's too.”
 
What?! The little brat is…ours?” Miroku and Sango were equally stunned; Kagome nearly burst out laughing at the look on both Inuyasha's and Shippo's faces, but stifled it quickly, keeping her face straight and her voice deadpan.
 
“I told Koga the same thing…he was about as thrilled as both of you are at the prospect.”
 
“Keh! I'm not a mangy wolf. They'd rather eat him than adopt him. Hey, runt…if you're gonna be a part of our pack, you'll have to show me more respect as your alpha male.” That caused Shippo to go into hysterics, until Kagome fixed him with a steely look.
 
“That's right, Shippo…Inuyasha's my mate now, so you're technically our pup…” The kit straightened up, then looked wildly around at Sango and Miroku.
 
“Hey, would either of you two like to adopt a cute, appealing little male kitsune? I'm free to a good home…”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Five days later, Hakone region
 
“These mountains suck!” Kagome announced loudly to all and sundry, as Arashi slid backwards yet again, and another large chunk of wet slush plopped down, half on her head, sending icy rivulets down the back of her neck. She was braced on the uphill side of a large tree, the reins wrapped around the trunk, as the grey mare struggled to stay on her feet on the steep incline. Finally, Kagome released the reins, and Arashi slithered down to the bottom, legs splayed and whinnying in distress.
 
Inuyasha perched on a branch over her head. “This is gonna kill the horses, Kagome…I've got a better idea.” He hopped down the slope to where Miroku, Sango and Shippo waited with Juhi and Kirara, and exchanged a few words with them. While Sango tied Arashi to a tree, Miroku dug through his saddlebag, and tied a piece of cloth over Juhi's eyes, then hobbled the horse's feet with some cording. To Kagome's astonishment, Inuyasha ducked under Juhi and lifted the gelding over his shoulder, then bounded up past her and disappeared over the ridge. Kirara followed with Sango and Miroku on board; Shippo dropped onto her shoulder from above, grumbling.
 
“Dog-breath is sure a big show-off…”
 
Kagome swatted the kit, grinning. “Don't be disrespectful of your father.”
 
“I know you're mated, but geez, Kagome…”
 
“But what?”
 
“I'm not calling him `dad'!” She chuckled at the indignation radiating off the kit; his tail was fluffed out to double its size.
 
“You don't have to…just quit picking fights with him, okay?”
 
“How'm I supposed to have any fun, then?”
 
“Try practising your transformations more, runt, and then you'll be some use to us on the battlefield!” Inuyasha dropped off of Kirara's back, transferred Shippo to his own shoulder, and shot down the icy hill on his heels, the kit yowling in protest. Kagome was about to follow suit, but Kirara touched down lightly in front of her, so she swung up behind Sango instead. They hovered overhead as Inuyasha handed Arashi's reins to Shippo, and then blindfolded and hobbled the mare. The hanyou looked up. “Out of my way, wenches…large load coming up!” And then Arashi was airborne, Shippo squealing with excitement from her back.
 
Kagome was delighted to see that they were skipping three deep canyons, and a couple of rickety-looking suspension bridges when they flew over the trail, watching the `flying horse' seemingly bounding effortlessly over the landscape. She was really, really glad that they didn't have to actually hike it in the slippery conditions…
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Shizuoka, East Sea Roadevening of fifth day
 
“I require a room and board for five travellers, plus stabling and food for two horses.” Sango's clear voice brooked no argument, but the innkeeper was mesmerized by the sight over her shoulder. He brought his attention back to the negotiation at hand and squinted at the slayer…but his eye kept being drawn away by the rest of the group behind Sango.
 
Miroku made a small noise of impatience. “Sango-sama, allow me to…”
 
“No way, houshi. Well, innkeeper? Do you want some silver to jingle in your pockets, or not?”
 
His eyes veered away again to look beyond Sango and Miroku. “I-Is that a demon?” Kagome stepped forward, Shippo in her arms.
 
“He's a half-demon, actually…and he's mine, same as this one.”
 
The man's eyes snapped to hers. “T-two demons? Y-yours?”
 
“Yes.” She was aware of Inuyasha's growls, but she stepped firmly on his toes with her boots, smiled brilliantly at the innkeeper, and tossed him an extra coin to sweeten the pot. His attitude changed instantly from one of suspicion to welcome, and the group was made comfortable for the night.
 
As Kagome walked past him, he bowed slightly. “You must be very powerful, sama, to control two demons!”
 
“Oh, I don't control them…they pretty much do as they like…” The innkeeper `eeped' and scurried away; a servant showed them to their room.
 
The hot baths were like magnets to filings for the girls; the hanyou plunked himself down in front of the doors while Sango and Kagome were soaking; the inn's other guests had to wait until the girls were done before they were allowed in. Inuyasha had to put up with all the servants peeping fearfully at him, which made him quite cranky, but Kagome crept into his lap that night as he sat up against the wall, bringing her blanket to tuck around them, and her floral-almost-but-not-quite-deep-forest-laced-scent soothed his frazzled nerves.
 
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Past Hamamatsu, East Sea Road, ten day mark
 
“We are making excellent time; not too many demon attacks…”
 
“Hush, houshi! Not so loud…you'll jinx us.”
 
The group was in good spirits; Sango had negotiated their way into one of the nicest inns in Hamamatsu the evening before, and everyone was feeling better after a hot bath, some decent food and a good night's sleep.
 
Well, nearly everyone. Inuyasha was still rather grouchy about not being able to share sleeping arrangements with Kagome; he'd had to be content with sitting upright against the wall beside her futon in most establishments, and had not been happy when Shippo gleefully stuck out his tongue, then burrowed under the blankets to snuggle contentedly with Kirara between the two girls. Kagome often slipped off the futon to cuddle against his chest, but she never truly slept well upright, which made for a grumpy following day, so he usually laid her back down once she'd fallen asleep, and that was how they spent most nights when they were in towns. Tenting was a nightmare for him, and he usually bailed to perch in a tree, watching over his sleeping pack.
 
His pack. He had startled himself the first time he used this term to mentally describe them, but his youkai had wholeheartedly agreed…and that was that. Of course, he never mentioned it to the rest of the humans or demons under his care.
 
This chilly morning, Miroku was piloting Juhi, his staff held casually in the crook of his arm, the reins loosely in one hand, chatting with Inuyasha as the hanyou balanced on the gelding's rump. Kagome, with Shippo in front of her on Arashi, was talking to Sango about the chances of making it to Nagoya before nightfall. The sound of springmelt was everywhere; tiny rivulets were trickling under the receding snowbanks, icy mud squished up around the horse's feet, and Kirara's paws. The fire-cat stopped occasionally to shake her paws free of the muck, an expression of extreme distaste on her furry countenance. Finally, she growled, and then leaped into the air as Sango was in mid-sentence, causing the slayer to whoop in surprise. They had just disappeared over the tree-tops, when a huge snowbank rippled and lurched upright in front of the rest of the group.
 
Kagome scrabbled, yanking down on the reins as Arashi reared and plunged wildly, trying to maintain control of the terrified horse. Shippo let out a wailing cry, as the huge, transparent serpent reared up over their heads, lips curled back from its katana-length fangs, clear venom dripping. Its massive head bobbed and weaved, and then it zeroed in on Kagome, hissing in a very nasty manner. In a moment of pure surrealism, Kagome saw a half-digested human body inside its clearly visible guts…and when the ice-serpent lunged, her battle-sight clicked on.
 
“Shippo! Arashi's yours…get her out of the way!” She leaped off the back of the horse, tossing him the reins, and smacked the mare, sending her back down the trail at full tilt. Kagome crouched, flamed an arrow, watching the snake intently as it lined her up, then sprang upright, the bowstring taut against her cheek.
 
Kagome! What the hell…?” She faintly heard the astonished hanyou's voice, as she released the first arrow into the creature's throat and snapped off a second that took it right in the middle of one glassy eyeball, dodged out of the way of the strike, used the resulting concussion to launch upward…and was then grabbed out of mid-air by a red and silver blur. She was deposited on a tree branch and told to stay put, then the snake's head was neatly detached from the body by Tetsusaiga's transformed blade. Kagome slashed at a large tail section as it writhed upwards towards the branch she was standing on; a few moments later, Hiraikotsu thudded into the ground, severing the spinal column, and the twitching creature finally ceased movement.
 
Kirara whooshed down to hover near their branch; Sango regarded Kagome with startled eyes. “Nice shooting, Kagome…but what…?”
 
“I have what is called `battle-sight', Sango. I can see an opponent's moves before they make them. That's the first time I've used it for archery, but it seems to work just fine!”
 
“I actually meant that jump-thing…”
 
“A little trick I picked up while training at the Academy.”
 
Sango shook her head. “Amazing, Kagome…hey, houshi…did you see that?” She looked over Kirara's side, but the monk was nowhere to be seen.
 
“Keh! Hope he isn't under the snake…are there any Jewel shards, Kagome?”
 
“None. I think it was after the shards I'm carrying, since we have a large amount.”
 
“Miroku! Miroku!!” Sango and Kirara dove for ground level, the slayer scrambling off the neko-youkai's back, heedless of the snake's quivering body and began frantically shoving the snake's body aside. Inuyasha lifted Kagome down to ground level, and they helped shift the queer cool-feeling dead flesh, which was rapidly turning opaque. There were no signs of the houshi or Juhi.
 
Kagome noticed Sango's eyes gleaming wetly, even though the slayer kept her head down most of the time. They were distracted by Shippo calling to them. He was astride Arashi, and had a firm grip on Juhi's reins…but no Miroku. Sango dashed towards him. “Shippo…where is he?”
 
The kit hooked his thumb over his shoulder, an expression of pure disinterest on his face. “About half a mile back. Said he wouldn't get back on this horse again today, even if Kagome threatened him.”
 
Sango looked relieved; Inuyasha was cranky. “Guess we're camping out again…damn houshi.”
 
“Miroku can ride Kirara; I'll take Juhi, Inuyasha. No problem.” Sango sounded almost jaunty.
 
I still have a problem with my transport.” Kagome took Arashi's reins and gave the mare a scorching look. “As a weapons platform, Arashi, you could use some improvement. We have to do something about this, and soon.”
 
“Why don't you try using your power on her? Maybe that's what she's reacting to, not the youkai you're fighting.”
 
Kagome chewed her lip and then slowly nodded. “That's not a bad idea, Inuyasha…we'll try it tonight, after the horses and the houshi have settled down…”
 
“Why not right now, since we have to wait…”
 
“All right…Shippo, you might want to vacate…” She called up the silver flames; Arashi laid her ears back and snorted, rolling her eyes, showing her teeth, and began dancing nervously. Be still! Kagome/Midoriko/Fenikkusuken commanded her, and laid a hand against the mare's neck. Instead of bolting, Arashi trembled, tense, the whites of her eyes showing. Good girl…we will protect you…so long as you are with us, you do not need to fear. Arashi relaxed, and suddenly whickered, reaching back to bump Kagome's elbow with her nose.
 
Shippo hopped onto her shoulder, his eyes wide. “Wow, Kagome…that was cool! Arashi actually glowed! Can you do that to me?”
 
“You don't run away when we fight a demon, Shippo; this was to make Arashi less afraid.”
 
“Keh! Maybe you ought to try that technique on Myoga the next time he shows up...Oi! Miroku! Get the lead out…”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж