InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Phoenix Blade: Time Lapse ❯ Demon's Gate ( Chapter 34 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: Don't own…don't sue. Borrowing only; will give `em back when I've finished doing depraved things to `em…
 
A/N: Happy New Year to all…was mugged by eggnog-quaffing plot bunnies singing scurrilous tunes…fasten your seatbelts!
 
The Phoenix Blade: Time Lapse
Chapter 34: Demon's Gate
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Sengoku Jidai
Outsideof Kuwana, twelve day markon the road to Kyoto
 
“But I hate sharing a tent with the houshi, dammit!”
 
Kagome gave the petulant hanyou a beady look while resolutely driving in a stake belonging to the tent she shared with Sango. “We've had this discussion every night we've camped out, Inuyasha…I'm not making Sango take her chances with Miroku.”
 
His lip pouted further out. Kagome resisted the urge to kiss it back into place and returned to staking down the fly, while Sango busied herself preparing the bedrolls, pretending not to hear the debate raging outside. Shippo and Miroku were setting up the other tent and casting significant glances in the hanyou's direction, as they clearly needed some help. When Kagome straightened up, she was nose-to-nose with her scowling amber-eyed mate.
 
“We haven't been alone together for these past two weeks, and even if we stay at an inn…” his voice was low and intense.
 
She smiled gently and slid her fingers along his cheek, following it up with a soft, lingering kiss on the lips. “I know, dog-boy…I miss snuggling with you, too…but, I'm not going to make Sango do anything she's not comfortable with. It can't be helped, okay?” She stepped away from him, and began checking the ropes. Inuyasha grumped, and stomped over to the other tent, growling at Shippo to go find some dry branches as he tugged on the lines with more force than was needed. Kagome sighed again. Sango reached out of the tent and tugged on her trouser leg.
 
“Kagome, I could put up with the houshi for one night…”
 
“It's okay, Sango. Inuyasha doesn't understand that I'm in `mission mode'; I can't really think about stuff like that when finding Naraku is first and foremost in my mind. If Sesshomaru's intel was accurate, we could have a real fight on our hands once we reach Mt. Hiei.”
 
Sango shook her head, smiling wryly. “Ever the warrior… Let's help Shippo find some fuel…I'm starved!”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
A fire was soon crackling merrily in a circle of stones, and the travellers, seated on waterproof ground sheets layered with blankets against the snow, were happily munching their way through containers of noodles; the kettle burbled, promising a cup of hot tea. Inuyasha was perched up in a tree over their heads, scowling and eating at the same time. He glanced over the group; Sango and Kagome were taking a break from cleaning their weapons and chatting away, Shippo and Miroku were deep in discussion about something. His eyes lingered longest on the slender figure of his mate; she laughed at something Sango said and tossed her black hair over her shoulder. She'd been wearing it loose again, and for that he was grateful. As if aware of his scrutiny, she turned her head at that moment and met his gaze, her grey eyes dancing, a smile lighting up her lovely face. His breath caught in his throat, but he managed a smile in return. Kagome winked at him, and turned back to continue her conversation with Sango. Damn, he needed to get her alone
 
Shippo caught everyone's attention by transforming into a double of Kaede with a loud `pop'…and then he grinned and turned into Kirara. Preening, the kitsune turned around to show off his new form…and Sango started to giggle. “I think that still needs some work, Shippo-kun!” There was a chorus of snickers when Shippo/Kirara blinked over his/her shoulder at a very red, very bushy fox-tail attached to his/her creamy-white behind. It was a very dejected kitsune who `popped' back to normal a few seconds later.
 
“Not bad, runt, but it'd be better if you worked on Kirara's battle form.” Inuyasha jumped down, bringing his mess tin and cup. Dropping them in the bucket of melted snow, he crouched and poked the fire a bit, deciding where he would rather sit. Miroku had obviously decided to cheer up Shippo by losing to him at cards, so he cast his eye around at the girls. Kagome patted the groundsheet beside her with an inviting smile. He seated himself, slid his arm around her waist and pressed a quick kiss on her forehead before going back to stirring up the sparks.
 
Kagome ran the cloth in a final pass over her blade before carefully sheathing it, and then curled closer to Inuyasha, nestling her head against his shoulder. “Tomorrow we'll push on to Kyoto…and find an inn with hot baths, eh, Sango?”
 
The slayer gave her sword an extra swipe and reached for her scabbard; Kirara mewed sleepily, somewhat dislodged from where she was draped over Sango's lap. “That would be most welcome…how's your luck tonight, houshi?”
 
“Unsuccessful at both cards and love, Sango-sama. Shall I make the tea?”
 
The girl chuckled. “It's the safest bet, houshi…”
 
Shippo yawned widely and collected the cards. “I'm going to turn in…hey, Kagome, can I sleep in your bedroll tonight?”
 
The girl felt the tiny growl Inuyasha emitted at that; she reached for his hand and squeezed it before nodding at the kitsune. “Sure, Shippo…just don't take up the whole thing, or I'll punt you into the boys' tent!” The kit resisted the urge to smirk at the glowering hanyou, because he knew Kagome would catch him, so he settled for flicking his tail in an insolent manner as he scampered around the fire (going the long way to avoid any `accidental' kicks), and dove into the tent.
 
Miroku stood up and moved to set the tea to steeping. He glanced across at the hanyou and girl whispering softly to each other, Kagome soothing her offended mate and something darkened in his eyes when he stole a quick look at Sango. The slayer was running her hands through the sleeping fire-cat's soft fur and staring pensively into the flames. A heartbeat later, she looked up, and their gazes locked.
 
Vengeance is admirable, thought Miroku, but happiness fleeting and precioussurely Buddha would permit his disciple to know the one while striving for the other.
 
I have nothing left to lose, thought Sango, except my life, and he is the same…surely our karma is balanced.
 
Miroku poured the tea into mugs and served two to Kagome and Inuyasha, before handing one to Sango. He held onto it for a split second longer than necessary, her fingers resting lightly against his, the prolonged contact sending flutters through his body. He remained crouching at her feet, fumbling with his prayer beads, finding the ground rather interesting. “Thank you, Miroku,” she whispered, her eyes downcast.
 
“It is my pleasure, sama…”
 
Sango glanced over at the couple who were now silent together; the hanyou wore the most contented look she'd ever seen as he gazed into the crackling flames, his cheek resting against Kagome's dark head. Inuyasha, oblivious to the situation developing next to him, decided that he needed some private time with his girl; he extracted the mug out of Kagome's hand, scooped her up, and took her overhead into the trees. Sango stared after them, open-mouthed, then blinked at Miroku, who was also rather stunned. They could hear Kagome's raised voice abruptly cut off, and they both knew how Inuyasha had accomplished that.
 
There was suddenly a deep silence, broken only by the crackle of the fire.
 
Sango found Kirara's fur very interesting, and buried her fingers deeply into the soft pelt, trying to not think about how close the monk was, nor the fact that he wasn't trying to grope anything. He moved in a rustle of cloth…but away from her, to collect his own mug of tea, and to seat himself on the other ground sheet. Sango bit her lip. “Um, Miroku?”
 
“Yes, sama?”
 
“Please…sit…over here. That way we don't have to…um, shout over the fire.”
 
The monk smiled softly, and did not hesitate to return to her side. He kept his gauntleted hand wrapped around his mug, and looked into the flames. Sango copied him, keeping one trembling hand petting Kirara. The silence stretched thin and wrapped around her throat. She nearly jumped out of her seat when the monk spoke. “What do you think of our friends' situation?” His voice was low and thrilling; Sango tried to ignore the effect it had on her.
 
“I am very happy for them. I…envy them their love.” The silence thickened and curled.
 
“Shippo-kun refers to them as `soul-mates'…I am not sure that I believed in such a thing until now. Love is…a powerful motivation, to be sure.”
 
Sango snorted. “Weren't you the one questioning Shippo-kun, because you thought the wolf prince had some foundation for his claims?”
 
“He had enough confidence to make it sound plausible, you must admit.”
 
“I don't think I'd want to be anywhere near him the next time we meet up with the wolves…Inuyasha will not react well if Koga touches Kagome.”
 
“Kagome-sama said that Sesshomaru-sama was dealing with an uprising by the wolf demons…perhaps he will solve his brother's problem for him.”
 
“Not intentionally…what do you suppose this mission holds for us, houshi?”
 
“Hopefully a chance to destroy our enemy, and free your brother.”
 
“Yes…” The silence wove in and around them, drawing them closer. Sango found that her hand had stopped trembling. Kirara squirmed a bit, and she repositioned the neko-youkai in her lap.
 
“Um, sama, do you…might you…er, what I meant to say was…” When the slayer's dark eyes flew to his, Miroku found his nerve failing him and a blush rising on his cheeks as he struggled to find words to express the thought that had crossed his mind earlier. He, the consummate smooth talker when propositioning women, was suddenly, thoroughly and chokingly tongue-tied. Sango raised her eyebrows encouragingly; he could only shake his head. It didn't help that Kirara slightly raised her head and regarded him with a beady red eye at the same time. Smiling, he moved farther away, and missed the wistful look that crossed the girl's face.
 
Briskly, Sango stood up, bringing the neko-youkai with her. “I'm going to turn in…we'll be in Kyoto tomorrow, and hopefully be in the thick of a fight right after that.” She smiled a bit at the monk…and they both jumped badly when the hanyou and the girl dropped out of the tree overhead. Kagome's cheeks were pink, and she showed every sign of being kissed breathless. The hanyou was sporting quite a smirk.
 
“You're turning in? I'm coming too, Sango…” Kagome stretched a bit and began wriggling loose from her mate's arms. Inuyasha tightened his grip around her waist; a growl rumbled in her ear.
 
“I wish I was coming…”
 
Hentai…there'll be plenty of time for that later.” She kissed the tip of his nose, then gave his ear a light rub before he let her go. “Inuyasha will take first watch tonight…”
 
“I'll take the second, Inuyasha.” Sango grinned at the hanyou, and jammed Hiraikotsu into the snow bank next to the tent.
 
“Keh!…I don't sleep when we're tenting, anyways. I'll pull the all-nighter.”
 
Kagome raised her hand. “Can I record an objection to that idea? You'll be grumpier than a bear tomorrow without any sleep…”
 
“You could stay up with me, koishii…”
 
“Remember what I said about being caught with our pants down? Just don't bite our heads off tomorrow.”
 
“Keh! Since a certain kitsune is taking up space where I should be, I think I'm justified in being a bit cranky.”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Kyoto
 
The five travellers stood in one of the markets of the imperial capital, bewildered by the sights, the sounds and the smells of this ancient, bustling city. The amount of people was impressive; used to habitations no larger than decent-sized villages, they were a bit disoriented by the jumbled buildings erected without any apparent relation to each other. It was noisy, too; wheeled carts rolled past litters loaded with tinkling bells, jangling horsemen galloped, temple bells gonged and shouting stall-keepers all contributed to their sense of dislocation.
 
“Well? What does the map say, Kagome?” Sango asked. The girl looked at the piece of linen in her hand.
 
“It recommends the `Haku-Ya' as the place to stay…but doesn't say where it is. I guess we'll have to ask for directions…”
 
Three hours later, after crossing Kyoto once and being redirected back to nearly their starting point, they finally found the inn mentioned on the map. It was clean and comfortable, and the innkeeper didn't turn a hair at the presence of three demons in the group. Kagome wondered about that, but wasn't going to complain, when hot baths and a decent meal beckoned. Inuyasha shouldered the saddlebags and they let a youth lead Arashi and Juhi off to the stables.
 
Once they'd attended to setting up their things in their room, and she'd availed herself of the baths, Kagome tied the guest yukata firmly before stepping out of their room. She hunted up the innkeeper's wife, who was supervising the assembly of the evening meal in the kitchens. Kagome bowed politely to her.
 
“Excuse me, sama…but I was wondering what the quickest way to Mt. Hiei would be from here.”
 
The lady's dark eye was sharp. “Why do ye wish to know, young sama? Ye do not appear to be an outlaw…”
 
“Outlaw…?”
 
“The temple on Mt. Hiei is well-known as a refuge for those who have fallen afoul of the laws of this land. Why do ye seek to go there?”
 
Kagome blushed. “I- we have learned that an enemy of ours may have taken refuge on Mt. Hiei; his presence was detected in the area.”
 
The lady regarded her sceptically, but replied anyways. “Ye are within a few minutes' walk of the Demon's Gate, sama. Stand at the gate, with Kyoto at your back, and Mt. Hiei is the peak directly in front of ye.”
 
The girl bowed politely. “Thank you for your kindness…dinner smells wonderful!”
 
“Ye may take dinner to thy companions…t'will save my servants the trip. An extra portion of fish for thine two-tail is on the bottom.” She heaved over five nesting tables, each set with covered bowls of various sizes; Kagome swayed a bit with her first steps, but quickly got the hang of it and trundled back up the stairs. Approaching their door, she heard Inuyasha's and Miroku's voices raised in a mild argument, but it was squelched and then the shoji slid open in front of her, the carefully balanced tables taken from her hands by her hanyou.
 
“You lugged these all the way up from the kitchens? They oughta give us a break on the room rate for that…”
 
Kagome slid the door closed and followed him over to the candle-lit circle. “Hey, for the first time in a couple of weeks there wasn't any fussing about there being demons in our travelling party…what were you two arguing about before I came in?”
 
Amber and dark violet eyes glanced guiltily at each other; then they both assumed looks of blithe innocence. “Um, nothing, Kagome…that grilled fish smells great!”
 
She batted his claws away. “Where are Shippo and Sango? We shouldn't start without them…” At that moment, the shoji opened and a freshly-steamed slayer came in with a rather damp kitsune on one shoulder plus a purring fire-cat on the other.
 
“The baths really are lovely, Kagome…Miroku, you and Inuyasha ought to go down for a soak after dinner; it's men's hours then.”
 
The hanyou flattened his ears. “Sure, Sango…just what I want to subject myself to, all those comments by dumb-ass jerks when they see my naked hanyou butt.”
 
Sango flinched. “Sorry…um, I'll guard the bath-house door for you, if you want…”
 
Kagome turned to Inuyasha. “I've seen your naked hanyou butt…aside from the ears and the hair colour, what possible difference would anyone comment on?” The hanyou turned the same shade as his haori; Miroku emitted a strangled sound and went as purple as his over-robe. Kagome got the feeling she'd said something either incredibly amusing or astoundingly embarrassing; she looked to Sango for guidance. The slayer shrugged, so she did too, and began handing out the meal.
 
Inuyasha and Miroku both recovered from their colourful states and dug in; Kagome nibbled on the end of her chopsticks, and tried to figure out what the problem was with her hanyou's body. If anything, it was perfect, in her opinion…she'd have to ask him later, because she certainly hadn't seen anything that looked out of the ordinary…well, based on her very limited experience, anyways. On second thought, it probably wouldn't be a good idea to ask, since then he'd want to show her…and they didn't have enough privacy to do that.
 
She blushed, and returned to eating her rice. She shouldn't even be thinking about doing that, when perhaps they would face Naraku tomorrow…she noticed Inuyasha sniffing gently in her direction, a knowing smile creeping across his lips. Kagome shook herself and firmly put all thoughts of exactly what the hanyou's hard muscled body felt like out of her mind.
 
Ahem…can I put in my two-yen's worth?
NO!
Geez…no need to yell, sweetheart.
 
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
“That must be it…are we ready?” The four stood under the Demon's Gate in the chill pre-dawn darkness, looking north-east at a not-too-distant mountain peak, its regular shape announcing its genesis as a volcanic cone. A cold wind swirled around them, rattling the branches of the trees, ruffling their hair.
 
“As ready as we ever could be to face that stinking, no-good, piece of …”
 
“We get the idea, Inuyasha…samas? Shall we?” Miroku gestured expansively; Kagome and Sango eyed him and then put their heels to Arashi and Juhi, trotting ahead of the monk and the hanyou. Kirara growled, and jumped off Sango's shoulder. The neko-youkai transformed, and came up to Miroku, turning to offer him her back. The monk placed his hand over his heart and bowed. “I thank you, Kirara…Inuyasha? Do you wish to join me?”
 
“Hell, no, houshi…not after what you told me last night. Save any close contact for the slayer.”
 
“Only if you tell Kagome-sama why you so dislike taking baths in front of other men.”
 
“Keh! Forget that too! What if she wants to see another one for comparison and you're the only other adult male around?” A very big dreamy grin broke out all over the monk's face; the hanyou had to resist the urge to deck the houshi on the spot and instead took off after the girls.
 
Kirara shook her dark ears and took off into the air. These humans and hanyous were just about doing her in…
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
“This is most disturbing. There isn't a single significant living thing anywhere in this area…all the vegetation and all the forest creatures are dead or withered away due to some malign influence…and what of these odd bones and skulls? They surely are not from any natural creatures.” Miroku let the blackened leaf fall from his fingers and looked thoughtfully up at the mountain, while rolling a strangely-smooth vertebrae-like bone around in his palm.
 
“What exactly did my bastard of a brother say, Kagome?”
 
The girl sighed. “Only that Naraku's miasma was detected here. Could it be that he's moved on…?”
 
“Just like that arrogant fucker to send us on a fucking-ass chase…”
 
“We should do something anyways, Inuyasha. The harm this is doing is serious, and could spread. Sango, what do you think?”
 
The slayer slowly looked up from where she had been examining a flowering plant that should have been plump with buds and the promise of green spring, but instead was dry and rattling in the chill breeze. “Is there any other demon whose malign influence could spread this far and with these effects? Just because his miasma signature is not fresh doesn't mean he hasn't been here recently. I, for one, think that we will find some trace of him that will lead us to his lair.” She stood up and shifted the Hiraikotsu to a more comfortable angle and began walking upward, toward a gate-like structure visible high up on a shoulder of the mountain. Kirara mewed and scampered after her; Sango paused to let the youkai run up onto her shoulder, and then continued.
 
Kagome sighed, and clucked to Arashi; the mare nickered and began following the slayer. Miroku urged Juhi forward, leaving Inuyasha to bring up the rear. Shippo climbed up onto Kagome's shoulder. “Sango is kind of scaring me right now…”
 
“She's hoping that every step takes her closer to freeing Kohaku…and today might be the day.” Almost another hour of climbing later, they stood outside the gate, which framed a timber-lined tunnel disappearing into the depths of the mountain. Kagome craned her neck, looking upward at the mountain's rocky slope. “I guess the temple is farther up on the mountain…but there's a heck of a demonic aura emanating from that hole!”
 
“Pretty hard to miss…but it isn't Naraku.” Sango's voice held disappointment.
 
“Just a regular ol' demon hunt, then…let's go, Miroku. You girls stay outside.”
 
“What? Why, dog-boy?”
 
“Keh! Narrow tunnel means not enough room for all of us to use our weapons. Sango's Hiraikotsu can't manoeuvre in there, and we only need one swordsman. That leaves you or the houshi as the purification point-man. Sango, who would you like to stay out here for company?”
 
“Kagome, would you mind…?”
 
The girl grumbled at being neatly out-flanked by her hanyou, who smirked cheekily and stole a quick kiss before bounding into the tunnel. Miroku bowed away elaborately. “Farewell, beauteous samas…we shall return forthwith. Do not despair of our safety…”
 
“Just get on with it, monk. Purify whatever's in there so we can keep searching.”
 
“I am at your command, Sango-sama.” Miroku kissed his fingertips to her; both girls rolled their eyes. With a final wave, the monk turned and disappeared into the darkness, the jingling of his staff echoing, then fading.
 
Shippo eyed the tunnel askance. “What do you suppose is in there, Kagome? The evil aura is really big!”
 
Kagome looked pensively at the mountain. “It must be something really large and ugly to have an aura bigger than the creature Sesshomaru showed up with once…that was before we met you, Sango…and that was a big-ass demon!” The kitsune, accompanied by Kirara, scampered over, and hopped up a few rocks alongside the entrance, peering into the darkness. Kagome, aware of rapid movement beside her, snapped her head around. “Sango? Are you okay?”
 
The slayer was fumbling her face mask into place; her dark eyes were watering. “The aura…has increased in intensity. Can't you feel it?”
 
“Uh, no…I wonder why it isn't affecting me….? I hope the boys are all right…”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Inside the tunnel, Inuyasha paused, rolling his eyes in the dark, as Miroku emptied his stomach yet again.
 
“Dammit, houshi…what the hell's the matter with you? Breakfast wasn't that bad…”
 
The monk dragged the back of a shaking hand across his lips, sweat beading on his brow. “I cannot understand why the demonic aura is not affecting you, Inuyasha. It is only my years of training that are allowing me to continue…any other man would probably be dead by now.”
 
“Keh! You call what you're doing `living'?…whaa…?” The tunnel was rocked as if by thunder, and a gust of miasmic wind nearly bowled them over. As soon as he recovered, Inuyasha bounded over, grabbed Miroku and swung the monk onto his back. “Hang on…this doesn't look good.”
 
A dimly lit opening appeared at the end of the upward-twisting tunnel; Inuyasha increased his rate of speed until he and the suffering monk were standing on the edge of a precipice, looking into a chamber hollowed out of the living rock. Far overhead was framed a circular view of the sky, but it was the scene below them, in the bottom of the cavern, that seized their attention.
 
A huge, oily black pool surged and contracted, bubbling evilly, sending noxious vapours up into the air. Miroku choked and fell back; Inuyasha edged closer, unable to take his eyes off the restive fluid. There was an upwelling, and he started when dozens of bits and pieces of demonic carcasses floated to the surface. A small explosion rocked his footing, and a slimy-looking mass of flesh sailed upward and out of the distant hole. Reaching behind him, Inuyasha grabbed a handful of Miroku's robes and yanked the monk forward.
 
“What in all the hells is it?” As the coughing monk struggled to keep his eyes open long enough to see clearly, a whirlpool spun wildly in the dark liquid, paused and then inverted, spewing out two massive demons, scaled and fanged and bloody-eyed, seemingly created out of spare parts. They were instantly at each other's throats, snarling and roaring and tearing at each other until the very walls rocked with the sounds of their struggle.
 
Miroku, fighting off the effects of the miasma, tried desperately to conjecture exactly the purpose of this disgusting place. In the fluid at the bottom of the pit, other parts floated and bobbed grotesquely; he glanced up at the opening far above. “There were hundreds of demons here at one time, Inuyasha. The bits and pieces of demonic skeletons we found outside must have come from flesh expelled from this place, as we've just seen…”
 
“This is some kind of combat arena, houshi… Holy gods!”
 
One of the demons had bitten deeply into the other's shoulder; the recipient of this attack merely let out a howl and tore off the offender's head. Before their astonished eyes, the flesh of the losing demon blurred…and merged with the winner, creating an even larger and more horrific-looking creature. This nightmare shook its massive horned head and looked upward to the far-overhead opening. “Why can't I leave? The last one standing was supposed to leave this place alive…”
 
It swished its massive scaly tail in anger, sending a tidal wave of liquid up along the sides of the cavern, and not incidentally, increasing the amount of miasma in the atmosphere. Its giant head suddenly snapped around and red-stained green eyes glowed brighter when it saw the two figures crouched at the entrance of the tunnel. Its fanged grin grew even larger, and a forked tongue lashed out, tasting the air. “There's one demon more to defeat…come down, half-breed, and match your strength against mine!”
 
The light went on in Miroku's head, and he desperately grabbed for the hanyou's haori… and missed. Inuyasha was already drawing the Tetsusaiga as he dove into the arena, yelling a battle-cry. Miroku stuck his head over the lip of the pit. “Inuyasha! Do not fight him…this is a recombinant pit! He's just like Naraku, a conglomeration of demons…it doesn't matter who wins this battle, because the loser will be absorbed into the winner's body, whether you desire it or not!”
 
The hanyou held still for a split second, then lined up his blade and started swearing. “Dammit! Why didn't you figure it out earlier, houshi? Now I don't have any choice…”
 
The demon laughed, a dark, evil sound. “Come on then, half-breed…let's see what you can do…you'll be a fine addition to my body…”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
“They've been gone too long, Kagome…” The slayer tried to rise to her feet, but nearly toppled over from the effort, sweat abruptly streaming from her brow. Kagome caught her, shaking her head.
 
“Let's move you and the horses away from here, Sango. Shippo! Kirara! We're moving back…you'd better come, too!” Steadying Sango with an arm, Kagome collected the reins and began heading away from the tunnel, crossing in front of the slope where they could still be seen by the men when they returned, but out of the direct line of the opening. They had barely settled when they had to dive for cover.
 
Several large lumps of green and grey flesh spattered around them like horrific hailstones. Shippo jumped and screamed, and Kirara immediately transformed, snarling ferociously. Kagome threw a barrier over them; her sword was in her hand instantly. “W-what in all the hells?”
 
Sango took a closer look from the safety of the barrier. “Pieces of demonic bodies…where did they come from?” It was true; large, bloodied pieces of clearly demonic origin twitched fitfully; dark blood seeped out of the severed ends. Kagome suddenly didn't feel very well. Looking back up at the outcropping above the tunnel, her eye was caught by something moving. Huh? She straightened up for a better look, and then let out a stream of curses that had Shippo agog in admiration and Sango's eyebrows climbing towards her hairline. Kagome's aura flared, and the person heading steadily towards the tunnel stopped dead in their tracks and turned slowly to face them.
 
Even over the distance, the newcomer's face was plainly visible, as was the very ugly set to her dainty mouth when her eyes locked on Kagome. Kikyo.
 
Damn, damned, damnable! What the fuck is she doing here?” Kagome glared at Sango as if it was her fault, then fixed her steely eyes on the undead miko, who seemed rooted to the spot. Then, Kikyo's mouth moved, and she turned to disappear into the tunnel. Kagome wheeled around, her mouth sagging in astonishment. “Did she just call me what I think she did?”
 
Sango didn't even have a chance to reply, before the girl, silver flames crackling, bolted up the slope and into the dark opening. The slayer turned to Shippo. “Who was that, and why does she look like Kagome?”
 
The kitsune shivered. “It's a long story, but I'll give you the short version. That's the priestess Kikyo; Kagome is her reincarnation. Kikyo loved Inuyasha fifty years ago, but Naraku turned them against each other; she ended up dead, and Inuyasha pinned to the Goshinboku outside of Kaede's village. Kikyo was resurrected by a witch and given a new body…it's bad news if she's here, because she wants to kill Inuyasha.”
 
Sango shook her dark head. “Kagome did tell me the story when I first joined you; that girl really doesn't have it easy, does she? Kirara…go with her; she may need back up.” The neko-youkai mewed, and scampered in the direction in which Kagome had disappeared. The slayer and the kitsune hunkered down to await developments. A chill wind blew up; the light in the sky was beginning to fade. Sango went to Juhi's saddlebags, extracted a bedroll, and unzipped it. When she sat down, Shippo crawled into her lap and they cuddled up to await developments.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Kagome stopped just inside the entrance, and waited for her eyes to adjust to the darkness, then swore colourfully when she still couldn't see. No flashlight…now what do I do? She yipped when something wrapped itself around her ankles, but then Kirara flamed full-size and leaned into her. “Thanks, Kirara…” She swung onto the fire-cat's back, and they took off up the passageway. They were only a few feet into their journey when the sensation of a Jewel shard struck her…a feeling that she hadn't experienced in months. Kagome actually twisted on Kirara's back, looking futilely into the darkness on either side, trying to get a lock on the direction…until she forgot all about it when they reached Miroku, who was craning over the edge of an opening in the heart of the mountain.
 
Kagome peered ahead quickly as she dismounted from the neko-youkai. A magma chamberincredible! Then she saw the pained look on the monk's face and dropped to her knees beside him. “Miroku? You're looking like death warmed over…how's your guts?”
 
“Kagome-sama…you must stop Inuyasha! He is in danger…” Miroku rapidly detailed his concerns about the hanyou's fate if he continued to fight the creature in this pit; while he was talking, Kagome peered over the lip and froze when she saw her hanyou slashing away at a monstrous demon while standing on a floating layer of demonic bodies…and then noticed, with a small twinge of jealousy, that he was fighting so desperately to defend an apparently-unconscious Kikyo.
 
She grabbed Miroku's robe, interrupting him mid-sentence, and pointed at Kikyo. “What in all the hells is she doing down there? What happened?”
 
“I know not, Kagome-sama. She arrived but a few moments ago; the souls contained within her body were sucked out and joined with the creature. She collapsed and fell before I could catch her.”
 
“Well, isn't that just lovely…dammit!” She sighed heavily, and swung her legs over the edge. “Here goes…” Miroku dug his fingers into her shoulder.
 
“Kagome-sama! What are you doing?”
 
“Getting Kikyo out of there. If I don't, Inuyasha will continue to defend her, risking his own life in the process.” And mine, she added mentally. As she said this, the hanyou half-turned on a backswing…and saw Kagome sliding down the cliff face towards Kikyo's supine body. Swearing, he turned back to face his opponent, who laughed evilly.
 
“That one female…she's not human at all. The other one has some demonic power…I'm not fussy…I'll take both of them…”
 
“Don't you touch my mate, you filthy bastard…Kagome! Get the hell out of here!”
 
“Concentrate on keeping that thing busy, dog-boy…I'll protect Kikyo, and then we'll figure out how to break the spell in here. Kirara…don't come any closer, or you'll be pulled in too! Stay up there with Miroku!” Sending tiny avalanches of rocks showering into the bubbling dark liquid, Kagome skated farther down the slope until she was balanced precariously on the same narrow ledge as Kikyo.
 
“Come on, Trouble…I can't see the point in doing this, since you're already dead, but Inuyasha wouldn't forgive himself if something happened to you…and we need to chat about that name you called me.” She bent to lift the other miko, intending to pull her up onto a higher, wider ledge, and then work her way back up to the tunnel opening, when the concussion wave alerted her to an incoming strike. Her battle-sight clicked on, and she took a tight grip on Kikyo's voluminous robes. When the wave hit its peak, but before the limb impacted, she crouched and sprang upward, dragging Kikyo's limp form with her. They made it to the ledge; Kagome dropped her burden and pulled out her bow and an arrow, intending on at least slowing the demon down to give Inuyasha a chance to help her with Kikyo. Her concentration was broken by a rasping voice.
 
“You…don't kill that demon…”
 
“If I don't, then all of us die here, Kikyo, including you…again. If I can purify that monster, then Inuyasha is safe from being combined with it…”
 
“Ignorant fool…”
 
Kagome hesitated, startled by the venom in Kikyo's voice, and then had to throw up a barrier as another strike headed in. She heard Inuyasha's furious yell, saw the Tetsusaiga raised…then heard Miroku's panicked shout. “Nooo! Inuyasaha! Don't kill it! Stop!”
 
She flamed an arrow and aimed it at the demon's throat…when a missile blazed over her shoulder and struck the Tetsusaiga as it sliced into the demon's shoulder. The enchanted blade screamed in agony, and retransformed instantly. Kagome fell back, watching the powerful arrow, deflected by the Tetsusaiga, streak up and out of the opening of the chamber. She turned her head slightly to see Kikyo fall to one knee, her face grim, her long bow clutched so tightly her knuckles were white.
 
There was a sudden change in air pressure, and Kagome's ears popped. It was like the mountain inhaled deeply…and then exhaled explosively. She felt her feet lift off the ground; scrabbling, she tried to grab a handhold, then she was pulled into the air all in a rush. In a surreal sequence, she flew past an open-mouthed Miroku, then a flock of disconnected eyeballs swooped by like unusual sparrows, followed by a row of knife-like spikes resembling a conveyor belt. In a whoosh of air, she realized she was outside the volcanic chamber…but where was Inuyasha?
 
A moment later, her waist was encircled by claws, and she was tugged firmly against the hanyou's body, his sleeves protecting her from the flying demonic debris. “Kagome! Are you all right?” She could barely hear him above the roar of movement, despite his lips being right next to her ear.
 
“I think so!” she yelled back, and fisted her hands in the front of his haori, hiding her face in his shoulder. Inuyasha took a firm grip on her with one arm, then raised his sleeve to shield his face while he desperately scanned the writhing mass for any sign of Kikyo.
 
The bucking, twisting stream of matter coiled over itself, and he could see the horned demon at its head…diving straight toward a horribly-familiar figure swathed in white fur crouched on the ground of a rocky plateau. At that same moment, he spotted Kikyo's unmoving form being pulled along with them, but too far away for him to reach. “Kagome! We're getting out of here! Hang on…” With a wrenching twist, he pulled them free of the energy stream, and they tumbled to a landing on the plateau.
 
Kagome sank her fingers deeper into fire-rat as she stared at the figure not fifty feet away, and a cold, sinking feeling seemed to pull the breath from her body. “Inuyasha…is that…I thought…gods, no! It's Naraku!”
 
They watched in horrified fascination, frozen in place, as the spiralling demonic mass spun straight at the hated figure, the massive demon head roaring in fury, trying to seize Naraku in its fangs. There was a blurring, a twisting of the fabric of reality. Kagome screamed as the huge column of demonic flesh funnelled down to a single point…and Naraku arose, inky-black tresses snaking around his naked body, a very calculating ice-cold smile on his lips, dark-red eyes narrowed.
 
“Feh…why am I not surprised to see you two? You must have been attracted by the demonic aura of my recombinant pit…”
 
Inuyasha was growling deep in his chest; he firmly pushed Kagome behind him and unsheathed the Tetsusaiga. “You're nothing but a bunch of fucking spare parts…I'm gonna carve you back up.”
 
Naraku laughed, as he pulled on the baboon-skin pelt. “How amusing it would have been, if you had become part of me, Inuyasha…overall, I'd say it would have been an improvement…for you. Eh…? Who's this?” His reddened eyes were caught by the white of Kikyo's clothing, standing out against the bits and pieces of demonic flesh carried along by the force of the rising wind and now scattered around the plateau. In an eye-blink, he was lifting her by her hair to peer into her face.
 
“Take your filthy hands off her, you bastard!” Inuyasha dove forward, the Tetsusaiga flashing…only to rebound off a barrier. He staggered back, his arm vibrating painfully from the powerful rebuff.
 
Naraku, satisfied with his perusal of Kikyo's features, scooped her limp form into his arms. “Kikyo…a loyal servant of mine, it appears. She gave me this new body…I shall have to thank her personally…” Inuyasha's growling became positively savage; Kagome glanced at him, biting her lip against another jab at her heart, then decided to get involved.
 
“Don't be stupid, Naraku…Kikyo broke the spell to save Inuyasha from becoming part of that demon. I don't know why she chose to do that, but it wasn't because she was doing you any favours!” Kagome's bow and an arrow were in her hands; she flamed the arrow and lined up a shot. Just as her fingers released the bowstring, a mass of noxious purple vapours roiled outward from the barrier; she was caught around the ribs and yanked backwards, the arrow going wide of its mark.
 
A low laugh hung on the freshening breeze; Naraku and Kikyo were gone. Inuyasha let fly with a hair-raising list of expletives and took off to sniff the air intently, trying to determine the direction his quarry had taken. Kagome watched him for a moment, then shoved her bow back in her quiver, and spun on her heel to march away towards the edge of the plateau. Inuyasha noticed her rigidly set shoulders just as she jumped, disappearing from his sight.
 
Kagome was determinedly negotiating her way down to the next ledge when Inuyasha caught up. “Oi, wench…where're you going?”
 
“To find the others, so we can go after Naraku.” She kept her head down, ostensibly looking for a foothold.
 
“Kagome, what's wrong?”
 
“Nothing!” she snapped peevishly, jumping down to a lower ledge and peering over the edge, calculating the distance to the next one. “I just wonder how much of a coincidence it actually is, that we haven't seen Kikyo for weeks, then all of a sudden she happens to show up at the exact moment we're flushing Naraku.”
 
“She'd never align herself with him!”
 
Kagome made the jump, readjusted her quiver, and hopped down two more small ledges before replying. “Kikyo doesn't care if Naraku was the cause of her death; she only wants to kill you. She doesn't give a rat's ass that you're trying to avenge her.”
 
“Keh! I still say…”
 
“Yeah, yeah…keep defending her, dog-boy. You'd think being killed once would be enough, but you're cutting her a fair bit of slack for having tried twice.” The next drop was nearly ten feet; Kagome gritted her teeth and stepped out into space, praying the surface she was landing on could take the impact. It was good; her landing fairly graceful, and she scouted her next descent while ignoring Inuyasha's almost soundless tracking of her path. She heard him grind his teeth.
 
Koishii, what the hell's wrong?”
 
“Nothing, other than the fact that you're gonna risk my life to rescue someone who's already dead, and who has homicidal tendencies where you're concerned?” She bounded off the ledge; a scattering of gravel announced her landing.
 
The hanyou raised his eyebrows at Kagome's sharp tone, followed her down to the next ledge, and then understanding broke over him. “You have nothing to worry about…”
 
“I'm not worried!” She disappeared again. Sighing, Inuyasha leapt after her; he caught her body with one arm, and her chin in clawed fingers. Kagome averted her eyes; Inuyasha tightened his grip slightly and tilted her face up so she was forced to look directly at him. She slumped slightly. “Okay…maybe just a little…”
 
A clawed thumb gently swept over her lower lip. Inuyasha's eyes were dark golden pools. “You have nothing to be jealous of, Kagome. Kikyo's like… I dunno… like an older sister. Yes, I feel responsible for avenging her death; I can't let that bastard hurt her again…”
 
“She didn't kiss you like a sister the last time she got her hands on you!”
 
“That was her, Kagome, not me…koishii, don't…” Lips softly kissed her brow, and then captured her mouth. “I'm not giving you up for anybody, Kagome…I promise. I'll never risk your life for hers.” She stood on tip-toe then, and kissed him back, tangling her hands into his hair. When they broke apart for air, she gripped his face between her hands.
 
“You know that Naraku is a devious bastard, and he'll try to create a situation where you have to choose between us. If you hesitate even a split-second…”
 
“It's not gonna happen, koishii…you are my first and only choice. Believe in me…I'll always protect you.” She hugged him tightly, briefly burying her face in his chest, then stepped around behind him, gripping his shoulders. He hiked her up onto his back and waited until she settled herself. “Do you honestly think a dead bitch like that holds any attraction for a dog demon? The graveyard smell alone is enough to turn my stomach…”
 
Kagome winced. “I really didn't need to know that, dog-boy…”
 
“On the other hand, you smell great, especially when I lick your…” One of his ears was flicked, and he nearly missed his footing. Recovering quickly, he turned his head to leer gently at his mate, who was looking a little flustered. “Oi! I was gonna say `ear'…what did you think I meant?”
 
“Let's get on with this rescue mission, Inuyasha…did you get a lock on the direction? We won't be able to move until dawn.”
 
The hanyou's expression immediately slid from amused to grim, and without another word, he pushed them off into the dark trees.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
A white-clad figure carrying a limp form in his arms crested a wave of demonic energy, speeding away to the north-west. Red eyes glanced down at the undead miko, then refocused on the rapidly-approaching rocky ramparts of a barrier-enshrouded castle.
 
What is she plotting? Her arrow could have purified the demon, and prevented me from acquiring this powerful new body…yet she did not.
 
They slid through the barrier, and Naraku bore Kikyo to a large room inside the castle, laying her on a futon, arranging her limbs comfortably, almost tenderly. He paused for a moment, and brushed his fingertips over her brow, feathering her bangs. A small smile quirked his lips, and then he whisked away.
 
Once his presence had cleared the room, Kikyo fluttered her eyes open and took note of her new surroundings. The room was large and lofty, bespeaking age and wealth. Several large silk partition screens prevented her from seeing the entire expanse, but she saw enough to know that this was not an illusion, but wood and stone. A faint crackle announced the setting of a new barrier within the outermost one, and she felt the agony of her soul collectors as they vainly struggled to gain entry with their precious cargo of life.
 
Naraku reappeared at her side, baboon pelt tossed aside, garbed like a lord in silken damask, his dark hair pulled back in a topknot. He seated himself by her side; Kikyo just managed not to flinch from the dark aura he emitted.
 
“You awaken, Kikyo. I've raised a barrier to prevent your creatures' entry…you are paralysed without the souls that they carry.” She shot him a scathing look; he shifted so that he could see her more clearly. “If you truly had wanted to protect Inuyasha from merging with the demon, you would have purified my creature. Instead, you broke the spell. Why?”
 
Kikyo forced a smile to her lips at the blunt question. “I was drawn by the demonic aura…I did not expect to see Inuyasha there…but once I saw… I had to know who or what had created that monster…and there you were…Onigumo.
 
Naraku's handsome features arranged themselves into a smile. “Onigumo, eh…that takes me back…about fifty years or so. Ah, Kikyo…the lovely, compassionate priestess that the wounded bandit lusted after; so much so, that he gave his corrupted soul to be devoured by demons…and a new, more powerful demon was born.”
 
Kikyo snorted faintly. “Feh…Naraku…the one who tricked me into death.”
 
“That was highly entertaining…but the Jewel eluded me again. Now, with your reincarnation on the loose, along with your dog-eared love…I predict more enjoyment in the future. I expect that you will play your part, Kikyo, as my plans include the death of Inuyasha…will that not please you, my lady?”
 
The miko flicked her eyes to Naraku's face. “Inuyasha will join me in hell…but whether it is at your behest or not, I cannot tell.”
 
A low laugh raised the hair on her nape. “His death will be followed by your own, Kikyo, so that you will keep each other company for all eternity. I may keep your reincarnation alive a bit longer…she is lovely to look upon, clothed in warm flesh, and I wish to pay her back for the destruction of my previous form.”
 
“I care not what you plan for that…that worthless...”
 
“Ah, a tinge of jealousy for the shadow-maiden lurks within your clay shell, does it? We shall see…you may have your revenge upon them both fairly soon, as I fully expect the sentimental hanyou will attempt to rescue you, and I have developed a most amusing plan.”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж