InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Phoenix Blade: Time Lapse ❯ Incubation ( Chapter 36 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: Don't own…don't sue. Having waaaay too much fun borrowing `em!
 
Bouquets: Thanks to Nokomarie the Snake, who is generous with her time in helping me tame this beast I've created…
 
A/N: Coarse language and lemon fluff alert.
 
Terminology: Danshaku `Baron', Sentouken `First Sword', Gitoumaru `Perfect Ceremonial Sword', Kiriaisai `Master of Crossing Swords'.
 
The Phoenix Blade: Time Lapse
Chapter 36: Incubation
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
She'd been expecting the smell of a fresh kill to attract something with a shard. She definitely wasn't expecting the something to be such a potentially formidable opponent. Just this once, why couldn't it have been a slug-oni?
 
A very small Jewel shard had indeed arrived on the scene, attired in expensive armour and a silk kimono, bearing a sword and a bored expression. In the shadows of the cedar tree, silver flashed above a grim smile.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Sengoku Jidai
 
A tall humanoid youkai stood on the edge of the meadow, watching the bear tear into the carcass with a supremely disinterested look on its handsome face. Long blue-black hair rippled down its back, and a deep blue enamelled cuirass protected its torso. The long sleeves of a gleaming bronze kimono and matching hakama tucked into short boots certainly gave the creature an aristocratic air, but it was the hilt of a katana jutting out from a flashy obi that interested Kagome. She watched as the demon flared its youkai, and the bear took off like a shot, splashing through the stream and disappearing into the undergrowth on the other side.
 
You sure you're up to scrapping with a full youkai, Nixie?
Don't you mean `we'? Hey, it isn't Sessaki!
You scare me when you're like this.
What? Fennie, baby, it's your influence that's made me like this!
If all he has is a sword, plus the usual speed and agility, you may have a chance.
All I want is the Jewel shard he…she…it…has tucked under its shoulder guard.
You could try asking nicely
Where's the fun in that?
I know I'm gonna regret this
 
Kagome had learned a few rules of encounters with youkai since she'd entered the Sengoku Jidai. This youkai obviously hadn't had the same lessons.
 
Youkai are not supposed to react with unconcealed surprise when a human drops out of a tree and stalks towards them. They are supposed to say something extremely rude about the said human's parentage and/or smell, whip out their sword (or halberd or spear or claws), and proceed to slice and dice said human before elegantly flicking the blood off their weaponry and gliding away.
 
This youkai nearly jumped out of its breastplate.
 
Kagome halted, somewhat confused, then began to circle the carcass, never taking her eyes off the demon, who was actually backing away. She looked more closely at the youkai's face and realized three things. One, this creature was male; two, it was probably an inu-youkai; and three, it was young. He was probably her senior by more than a few decades, age-wise, but was most definitely a kid…er, pup, in comparison to her experience. The demon bore a single set of cobalt cheek stripes…how nice! His pretty armour matches his markings. Bet his mom came up with that…and his youkai signature was similar enough to Sesshomaru's and Inuyasha's to have her decide on the inu designation.
 
“Forgive me, captain! I did not mean to interrupt your hunt!” The voice was very young, and very distressed. Kagome wondered if he would throw himself on the ground and roll onto his back if she growled at him…and then realized she was down-wind, so he couldn't catch her scent, and he was obviously near-sighted, since he hadn't noticed her lack of pointy ears or facial markings. Captain…? Right, the dragon-hidethe kid must be from the fortress Sesshomaru mentioned. Grinning wider, she altered her stance to a less-predatory stroll, and continued to move towards him. I didn't know Sesshomaru had female guard captains…I'll have to compliment him on being so forward-thinking… The youkai `eeped' and jumped backward, drawing his sword with a less-than fluid motion. She noted that he had some trouble hefting it, as if it wasn't his.
 
At that moment, he figured out that she was neither inu-youkai nor an officer. “Stop right there…human!” His voice quavered, but she had to hand it to him, he was trying for the arrogant-icy thing. Kagome resisted a smirk, as she took another step and then stopped, her hand resting easily on her sword hilt while she deliberately looked him up and down. His blade was trembling.
 
“Take it easy, pup…I'm not going to hurt you.”
 
He managed a snort. “I am not afraid of a puny human.”
 
“Really? Your hands must be awfully cold.” Kagome took another couple of steps forward. “What's your name, pup?”
 
He steadied the katana, and a look of disdain crossed his perfect features. “My name is none of your business, bitch.”
 
“Oooh, you bark pretty loud for a little whelp, don't you? Tell me, does your mother tie the knots on your armour for you? Does your father know you're out of the fortress and that you have his sword?” The young demon went even paler, if that was possible; he took a firmer grip on the hilt and pointed the blade at Kagome's chest while sticking his nose in the air.
 
“This Sesshomaru, Lord of the Western Lands, does not need to bandy words with the likes of you.”
 
For a moment, there was silence, and then great whoops of laughter rang around the clearing. The youkai was plainly discomfited that his grand declaration sparked this response; the tip of his blade drooped towards the ground as he stared at the human who was nearly doubled over, holding her sides. Finally, Kagome got a grip on herself, and grinned broadly at the confused demon.
 
“Okay, pup…what's your real name? Sesshomaru-sama will skin you alive if he catches you using his name and title within his own lands…”
 
The demon's jaw dropped; Kagome nearly went off again into gales of laughter at his obvious shock. Recovering slightly, his jaw worked, but no sounds came out. Kagome raised her eyebrows encouragingly at him. “H-how d-do y-you know…?” he finally squeaked out, the sword tip thumping lightly into the grass at his feet.
 
Thinking quickly, and narrowing down the range of options to one that wouldn't embarrass the homicidal taiyoukai too much once this bright spark made it back home and started talking, Kagome bowed slightly. “I have had the honour of facing Sesshomaru-sama in battle…and you are definitely not him.”
 
His dark eyes grew very large and round, and then he glared at her. “You lie. Sesshomaru-sama never leaves survivors.”
 
“Do you live at the fortress?” He nodded cautiously. “Did you see Sesshomaru-sama when he returned from a patrol a few months back, with his armour destroyed?” Another nod, and then his eyes widened again. Kagome smiled pleasantly. “That armour didn't break by itself, you know.” She watched him gulp nervously, and he shuffled his feet a bit before straightening up proudly.
 
“I am Gitoumaru, son of Danshaku Kiriaisai, Sentouken of the Western Lands.”
 
Kagome nodded sagely, pursing her lips. His name sure suited him. Darn it, she was actually starting to like this kid. He had guts, she'd give him that…but she wanted that Jewel shard. “Well spoken, Gitoumaru-kun. I am Kagome Higurashi, Protector of the Shikon Jewel.” She grinned at him and kept her stance very relaxed. He eyed her very suspiciously, and she could see him sniffing deeply before wrinkling his nose. He looked puzzled all of a sudden, and she knew why.
 
“Why do you smell of inu-youkai…?” his voice trailed off hesitantly, and he sniffed again…then his eyes widened. “…hanyou!”
 
“My honourable mate has mixed parentage.” He was bug-eyed, and she nearly chuckled at the expression on his face, but decided to get back to the matter at hand. “I have a question for you, Gitoumaru-kun. What need does a pure-blood inu-youkai have for a shard of the Shikon Jewel?” He was plainly startled by the question; while she waited, Kagome idly wondered if he'd had any combat training at all…she didn't really want to hurt him.
 
“How do you know I have a shard…? By the fifth hell!
 
Kagome had flamed her fingertips brilliant violet-pink; his eyes were riveted on the contained conflagration dancing in her palm. He tore his gaze away and met her steely eyes. “There's a reason why I'm known as the Protector of the Jewel…I don't wish to harm you, Gitoumaru-kun, but I require that shard.”
 
He blinked, several times, then put his head to the side, considering. Biting his lip with a small fang, he studied her for a moment before shaking his head. “I have heard that a single shard of the Jewel confers great power upon its bearer, and I wish to test that theory.”
 
“Don't make me do this, Gitoumaru-kun…experimenting with the shard isn't worth your life.”
 
He snorted, before hefting his sword. “A human? Kill me? You're an optimistic wench.”
 
Kagome shook her head sadly and extinguished the flames. “It isn't me that will kill you; the shard you bear is tainted with evil. It is only a matter of time before you lose your mind. You have the shard in the shoulder of your sword arm…has it made your father's weapon easier to wield?”
 
That stung him, and he growled. “This is my own blade, bitch, and I already know how to use it!” He was unnerved by her answering smile, and then taken aback when silver flames writhed up around her form, her sword hilt leaking coloured vapour.
 
“Come then, Gitoumaru-kun…I'll try to make it quick and painless.”
 
He adopted a stance, lining up his blade with her eye…but then the human blurred, charging into his defensive zone, there was an impact that jarred his arms up to the shoulders…and then she wasn't there. A chuckle from behind had him spinning around. The human was smiling broadly at him, while holding a very relaxed stance, her strange katana whirling with red and green vapours. “That was an excellent block, pup. You've really been paying attention to your sensei…but that grip on your sword will cost you if you don't change it.”
 
Gitoumaru blinked, shifting nervously. “What's wrong with my grip?”
 
“Hands too close together. Move your left hand down, until you can brace your little finger against your palm under the pommel. Gives any two-handed moves more power, and prevents easy disarming.”
 
“Why should I listen to you?” In answer, she blurred again, there was a loud clash of metal, and his sword leapt out of his hands, spinning high in the air before thudding into the ground nearly at his feet.
 
That's why. Have I made my point?”
 
Growling, he yanked the sword out and glared at her; she grinned. He sank into a stance…but he shifted his grip this time, and sprang at her. The infuriating woman somehow dodged him and kicked him in the knee as he passed, causing his landing to be less-than perfect, and gave him a large grass stain on his hakama to boot. The growl changed to a full-throated snarl, and he twisted upright and charged at her.
 
Kagome watched the young youkai as the red came up in his eyes, and waited. Gitoumaru swung his katana up over his head and dove for her, roaring. Like taking candy from a baby.... He slashed downward, but instead of slicing flesh, there was an ear-splitting keening noise…and then something metal spun away to thunk quivering into the grass. Before he could react, all the air was knocked out of his lungs, he found himself looking up at the darkening sky…and some very heavy boots were pinning his sword arm and his chest to the ground.
 
Kagome looked down at the young demon with some compassion, before she used the tip of her blade to slice the knot holding his shoulder guard closed and flip the piece of armour out of the way. “Take a deep breath, Gitoumaru-kun…”
 
He closed his eyes tightly. “I am prepared to face my death as a warrior should.”
 
“Oh, be serious, pup. I just need the shard, and I'm not going to kill you for it. I wouldn't be any better than Naraku if I did that.”
 
Gitoumaru cracked an eye and peered up at her. “Protector-sama…?”
 
Kagome grinned toothily at him. “Sesshomaru-sama would skin me if I punished a pup for defending himself. Now, this is going to hurt a wee bit…I hope you don't scream like a little girl.”
 
Then she jabbed her sword through the rich bronze silk, into the fleshy part of his shoulder and twisted it. The shard popped free in a spray of blood, and she snatched it out of mid-air, ignoring Gitoumaru's yelp of surprise. Tensing, then leaping away, Kagome wiped at some dampness on her cheek, and was surprised to see blood. Assuming it was Gitoumaru's, she was further taken aback by an unpleasantly-familiar trickling sensation and then the onset of pain. The little brat nailed me!
 
As Gitoumaru sat up, clutching his shoulder and glaring ferociously at her, she grinned cheerfully back. “Oh, don't scowl…you'll get wrinkles. You've probably healed already, haven't you?” Grumbling, he dropped his hand to his lap. Kagome wanted to walk over there and ruffle his bangs, but restrained herself. “You'll have to be really, really nice to Totosai-san if you want him to repair your blade. You can tell him who broke it…he'll be amused.” His mouth dropped open when he looked at the severely truncated katana he was still tightly gripping. Then he raised his eyes to hers.
 
What are you?”
 
She chuckled. “Someone you don't want to mess with…and I guarantee that Sesshomaru-sama will be impressed when you tell him that you actually drew blood on the Protector. Take the other half of your blade with you; Totosai might need both pieces to fix it.”
 
Gitoumaru rose to his feet, and reached for the chunk of metal sticking out of the ground. He grunted a bit, and yanked it free, cleaning the grass and dirt off with his claws. He stuffed the broken bit into the scabbard first, and then shoved in the rest. The young demon slowly stood up to his full height and faced the amused grey-eyed woman. “I …wish to…thank you for sparing my life…” he said, somewhat stiffly.
 
Kagome smiled. “I enjoyed the sparring match, pup. Once you refine your stances, you'll be truly dangerous…and you don't need a Jewel shard to reach your potential. Here.” Unbuckling the sheathed knife from her leg, she tossed it to him. At his surprised look, she elaborated. “Can't send you home without some protection. It's well balanced and very sharp…don't cut yourself playing with it.”
 
Gitoumaru contemplated the weapon for a moment, and then he bowed to her. Kagome bowed back, and saluted him with her sword for good measure. “Oh, Gitoumaru-kun? Would you do a favour for me?”
 
He cocked his head on the side, looking for all the world like a quizzical puppy. “How may I be of service, Protector-sama?”
 
“Tell Sesshomaru-sama that Naraku has a new body and increased powers; he'll know what that means.”
 
Gitoumaru inclined his head slightly in acknowledgement and began heading out of the meadow, in a vaguely westward direction; Kagome couldn't resist a parting shot. “Straight home to the fortress, Gitoumaru-kun…don't pick up any more stray Jewel shards, and no talking to strange humans!”
 
He turned around, his attitude distinctly superior…and then hesitantly gave a shy wave before disappearing into the trees. Kagome gravely regarded the small shard in her hand as she walked back to the cedar tree. Once up in a few higher branches, she unclipped her tunic and pulled back the neckline of the body armour, poking the shard into the small pocket.
 
Midoriko?
Hello, dear.
Thank goodness…
Wasn't Gitoumaru a nice young demon?
Actually…he was.
Lucky he found you, or you found him…the taint was gathering, ready to take him over the edge.
I'm so glad you're back. No offence to those of a metallic persuasion, or anything.
No offence taken, Nixie.
What is it with you and those nicknames?
Just showing my affection for my two favourite ladies.
Lucky, lucky us.
Haven't missed him at all.
C'mon, Riko…not even a little bit?
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
“Kaaagooomeee!”
 
“Where the fuck have you been?”
 
“Kagome-sama! We were worried…”
 
Kagome swung down from Arashi and looked around the camp site. She caught Shippo on the fly, and gave him a quick hug before untying the bag of venison from the pommel and handing it to him. Staggering under its weight, the kit took it back to the fire and exclaimed over it. Kagome removed Arashi's tack, listening to Inuyasha and Shippo argue over the best way to cook it, and then Miroku murmuring that a piece of raw meat should be offered to Kirara.
 
Giving Arashi a rub on the nose, she staked the mare close to Juhi; the two horses bumped muzzles and turned to grazing. Someone had moved the packs and saddlebags over to the tents; she guessed Shippo. Sango was just visible inside the entry of one of the tents, still in her battle-dress, but with the armour plates removed. Kagome had an idea, and was about to put it into action, when her path was blocked by an irate hanyou.
 
Who the hell cut you?” Inuyasha demanded, a growl distorting the words as he reached for her chin.
 
She biffed his hand away. “Accident. I took care of it.” He persisted in trying to catch hold of her; knowing that he was aiming at licking the wound, and she really didn't think she could take that affectionate contact right now, since a small guilty conscience was snickering gleefully in a corner of her brain, she finally gave him a shove that was harder than she intended. “Leave it, dog-boy! Just let it be! I'll look after it myself.” Stalking away from him, she didn't see his face go white, but she saw Miroku and Shippo exchange looks. She tossed her quiver into the tent and turned over her pack. Squatting on her heels, she dug through it until she located a small first aid kit, towels, shampoo, soap and her fleeces, then reached over to gently shake Sango's shoulder.
 
The slayer stirred and Kagome's breath hitched at the expression of ineffable sadness in Sango's eyes. She smiled bravely at the other girl. “Let's go to the hot spring and clean up. The boys are cooking dinner for us.” Slowly Sango nodded, but it was without enthusiasm. Kagome stood up and held out her hand to the slayer, who took it to haul herself up. “Come on, Kirara…women's hour at the spring is now in effect.”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Half an hour later, Kagome sat in the shallows of the hot spring and scrubbed the linings of her dragon-hide, plus the lining of her body armour, which she'd just discovered was also removable. The new shard was resting in the bottom of Fenikkusuken's sheath for safe-keeping. Her underthings were already rinsed and ready to go back to be dried over the fire; she'd also washed Sango's kimono and bodysuit. She'd cleaned her face and applied some antiseptic ointment to the cut on her cheek. Maybe I should let dog-boy lick it…what if he doesn't want to?…that thought brought her up short. If he doesn't, Higurashi, it's your own damn fault, she told herself sternly.
 
Now it was time to work on the slayer. Taking a bottle of shampoo, Kagome waded farther into the spring, where Sango sat listlessly staring into the steam swirling around the rocks. “Let me wash your hair, Sango…you look all in.” The other girl silently shifted over so Kagome could sit behind her. As she worked the shampoo into Sango's scalp, Kagome could feel the slayer's sadness and fear emanating off her like a type of miasma, evidenced in the slump of her shoulders. “Sango…thanks for listening to me rant about Inuyasha on the way here…but I didn't ask you what sort of trap Naraku set for you this time.”
 
There was a long silence. “My brother.”
 
“Well, that's a given…wait, was Kohaku really there? I didn't sense any Jewel shards…”
 
“No, it was an illusion.”
 
There was definitely more to this than having Kohaku just out of reach. “Sango? What did Naraku do to you? I haven't seen you this despondent…well, since….”
 
“He outdid himself this time. We were all trapped by our darkest fear; mine was…m-mine was…”
 
“Go on, Sango,” Kagome said gently, continuing to massage the other girl's scalp.
 
She was startled when Sango suddenly buried her face in her hands and sobbed loudly. Not sure what else to do, she moved to the side and wrapped her arms around the other girl, holding her until the sobs quieted to sniffles. When Sango drew in some deep, shuddering breaths, she let her go, but kept a hand on her shoulder.
 
“I-I betrayed all of you…killed you…to protect Kohaku. Then he thanked me for allowing him the ability to continue to serve Naraku…and then he…he killed me, promising to follow me to hell. Kagome…” Sango raised anguished, tormented dark eyes. “What if I betray you again…so long as Naraku has Kohaku, I'm a risk…”
 
“Forget it, Sango. You are an integral part of this group, and that bastard knows it…that's why he tried to do this to you, to shake your confidence in yourself. Don't let him win, Sango. You are stronger than this. I believe in you.” Sango looked sharply at her, then abruptly ducked underwater, pulling away. She surfaced on the other side of the hot spring and sat there for a moment, rinsing her hair. Kagome started lathering her own hair, her thoughts straying to the apology she'd have to make to the hanyou and then wondering if she could stand his superior smirk for the rest of the night.
 
Sango rose out of the water and reached for a towel. “I think I'll go back, Kagome…thank you. For everything.” Kagome knew she didn't mean just the shampoo.
 
“You're welcome. Take my fleeces; I'll wear my leathers back to camp. Could you take the wet stuff and start it drying?”
 
“Of course, Kagome. If you don't need the bathing supplies, I'll take them back, too. Kirara? Would you stay?”
 
“It's okay, Sango. I'll just throw a barrier over the spring, and I have my sword for the walk back. Hey, give Miroku a little pep talk…he must be fairly shaken if he didn't try once to peep at us!” The slayer finally smiled at that last comment, and she and the neko-youkai moved off into the bush.
 
Kagome concentrated her power, and a shimmering dome enclosed the spring. She rinsed her hair, then sank into the heated water, closing her eyes…and immediately thought about Inuyasha. I really over-reacted, she sighed…but what was the meaning of that odd look he'd had on his face as he gazed after Kikyo? I interpreted it as longing, but
 
She nearly bolted out of the water when Inuyasha punched a hole in the barrier and it set off a mini-lightning show that had sparks flying everywhere. Wide eyed, she sat open-mouthed for a few seconds while her brain caught up to what he had just done, and then she dropped the barrier. “What the hell are you trying to do to yourself? You could have just…”
 
“What? Knocked? Keh! Didn't feel like having you ignore me.” Inuyasha stepped over to where her leathers were piled and started tugging off his robes. Kagome caught herself thoroughly ogling his lean body as he stripped and forced herself to look away.
 
“Ten minutes more, and you and the houshi can have the whole thing to yourselves…”
 
“Don't wanna talk to the houshi. Wanna talk to you.” The hanyou dropped his clothes in a pile next to hers, jammed Tetsusaiga between the rocks beside Fenikkusuken, and matter-of-factly waded into the spring, submerging himself completely. Kagome was still rather stunned at his sudden and spectacular appearance on the scene, when Inuyasha surfaced a little ways from her, flicking the water from his ears and slicking his hair back from his face before looking directly at her with dark golden eyes. She swallowed, hard, at the image of the handsome water sprite, glistening silver hair clinging to his lean muscled shoulders and chest.
 
While her brain was stuck in `lust' mode, he wrapped his arms around her, and drew her against him, half-lying back against a rock so that his chest was out of the water. He tucked her head under his chin, and while keeping her snugly pressed against him, he hooked his legs over hers, caging her neatly. She tensed, as this manoeuvre opened up his pelvis, pressing his masculine appendage directly into her belly; he proceeded to stroke her back in long, lazy sweeps, all the while purring softly. Kagome stayed rigid, until the effects of his gentle touch, the warm water and the `white noise' of his heartbeat and rumbling conspired to relax her into almost a stupor.
 
It was too good to last. “Koishii, what was that `sit' for?”
 
“Well, that's a real mood-killer…” Kagome tried to squirm away; that only earned her a tighter grip. She sighed, but was glad that she didn't have to look him in the eye. “Y-you had this funny look when Kikyo left…like you were regretting something.”
 
Underneath her, Inuyasha sighed himself, but didn't give up the firmness of his hold, nor stopped his soothing strokes. She tried not to think about how wonderful his body felt, or admire the silver patterns swirling in the water, but a large part of her brain was pointing out that this was far more pleasurable than fighting, and wasn't it time she trusted him? Finally, she was distracted by his low voice. “Like I said the other day, don't doubt my heart when it comes to you, aisai.” Since that was pretty much exactly what Yashita had said months previously, and Kagome had a feeling he meant a situation like this one, she tentatively reached up with a fingertip and began lightly tracing Inuyasha's jawline, feeling that she needed to make some kind of peaceful gesture. “I need to tell you what happened…”
 
“I'm listening, koibito…”
 
Inuyasha's tensed body relaxed marginally. “Naraku's illusion took me back to the day Kikyo pinned me to the Goshinboku.” He shook his head a little. “I should have caught on the moment I saw the whole Shikon Jewel in my hand, but I was too overwhelmed to think it through. And then…I had an arrow in my chest and Kikyo was standing there, covered in blood…and I felt so damned guilty. Guilt paralysed me, Kagome… If I hadn't thought of you…” He pressed the girl in his arms closer to him, nuzzling her wet hair. “If I hadn't thought of you, I would have lost everything to that bastard…again. When I saw Kikyo at the end, with the same look as was on her illusion's face…all that guilt came pouring back in, and I couldn't move to stop her from leaving. I'm sorry, Kagome. Please…please don't be mad at me anymore. It's been a shitty day, and I don't want to fight with you.”
 
The tension completely dissolved away between them as Kagome slid her arms around him and hugged tightly. They stayed that way for long moments, until Kagome pushed herself slightly away from his chest and regarded him intently. “I'm sorry too, koibito, for using the `s' word. You didn't deserve it that time.” She paused, just so he knew that there were other times when he did deserve it, and then dropped a light kiss on his chest. “What do you think she'll do with the Jewel? I mean, she is demonic now...”
 
“We'll get it back, somehow. What else did she say to you that set your aura off like that?
 
“She called me your whore; she wasn't too happy at being a participant in our mating.”
 
“Told you we ought to give her something to really complain about…did she actually call you a whore? Keh! I hope you told her off.”
 
“I pointed out that I was actually your bitch. She didn't like that, either.”
 
He took the opportunity of her relaxing body to catch her chin in his fingers and turn her face slightly, inspecting the cut running nearly the length of her cheek. Scooping a handful of water, he washed the ointment off, noting that she winced slightly. He waited a moment to see if what he was about to do was now welcome. Kagome caught his shoulders and pulled herself higher on his chest, then held still, waiting, her eyes demurely downcast.
 
Inuyasha smirked and whispered, “My bitch”, grinning at her muttered retort, then gently swiped his tongue over the cut. He made several long, slow strokes, and then lightly kissed her on the same cheek. Kagome nestled closer until she could tenderly kiss him on the lips, and snuggled against the crook of his neck. He swept her hair off her shoulders and into the water, lightly running his claws over her bared skin. “Now, you gonna tell me who cut you so I can kill the bastard? I doubt the local deer are carrying swords.”
 
“I used the deer's carcass as bait, hoping to attract an oni carrying a shard…instead of something low-level and easily purified, I caught a young male inu-youkai from your family's fortress.”
 
“Keh! No shit? How'd he score a hit on you?”
 
“It was an accident. I hit his blade the right way, and the thing snapped in two…the broken-off tip hit me.”
 
“Is he dead?”
 
Indignant, she tried to sit up. “I wouldn't kill a pup!”
 
He tugged her back against him. “If he was just a pup, that's probably why you're still alive, Kagome.”
 
“Listen, dog-boy…a pup so green he doesn't know how to hold his sword properly didn't exactly have me trembling in my boots.”
 
Inuyasha smiled softly at her sparking eyes, then pulled her as close as he could, pressing his cheek against hers. Kagome could feel his eyelashes fluttering lightly over her skin; his voice was low and intimate. “I love you so much, wench…only you.”
 
Kagome melted willingly, but found a bit of intact backbone to tell him what was on her mind. “I love you, too…but…I have to warn you that if Kikyo tries any more shit like this, I can't be held responsible for my actions.”
 
He paused, considering a moment, and was startled by the slightest crackle of her aura pinging off his wet skin. She noticed, but waited for his response to her declaration.
 
“Okay, wench. Fair is fair, I guess…so long as you don't attack her unprovoked…” He placed a claw on the tip of her nose until she nearly went cross-eyed, forestalling her retort but not sparing himself another light zap by her power. The sensation went straight to his groin, which scrambled his thoughts a little. “Just like you didn't want to watch me kill Koga, I don't want to see you kill Kikyo.”
 
“I'll tell you when to close your eyes then,” she muttered rebelliously, pouting at him…and wasn't very surprised when he darted in and sucked her lower lip between his teeth, biting down very gently with his fang. She opened up to him, and it was a long, deep kiss, their tongues languorously duelling, stroking, tasting, until both of them were panting. With a breathy moan, Kagome pressed herself against his body; he gently thrust his hips up against her, just in case she'd somehow missed the presence of his erection…which brought her back to wondering about his body's apparent response to her power. She poked him in the chest. “Does the thought of being purified do something for you?”
 
“No…but whatever it was that your power did when you were pissed off sure felt interesting.”
 
“Interesting good, or interesting bad?”
 
He rubbed his hard length against her inner thigh, leering suggestively. “Does that tell you?”
 
“And you say I have weird tastes… you have to be the only demon turned on by the thought of finding out what it feels like to turn to ash.” His only response was to chuckle and step up his attentions to her body, and he soon had her moaning into his mouth.
 
Kagome was beginning to shift into position for more intimate contact when clawed hands gripped her ribcage and lifted her slightly away. Kagome wondered what he was doing…and then gasped when he pressed an open-mouthed kiss right between her breasts, licking upwards to her collarbone once, twice, three times before pulling her close again and burying his face in her shoulder. She watched his ear twitch a few times before realizing he wasn't moving, but that he was growling.
 
“Umm…Inuyasha? What…?”
 
“The bitch touched you…or her soul collectors did.”
 
“Well, how do you think she got her hands on the Jewel shards? Did you think I gave them to her?” Kagome felt mildly annoyed again, and tried to squirm away, but stilled when his hands began to caress her, running up to her shoulders and down over her back to the tops of her thighs, and his lips started nibbling their way up her throat to the sensitive skin behind her ear. She mewled softly when his claws slipped down to lightly touch the soft, sensitive skin at the apex of her thighs. His lips and tongue were busy on her throat, when he went very still.
 
“Goddamnfuckinginterruptions…” He eased both of them lower into the water; Kagome kept her face hidden in his neck, sure that her cheeks could ignite some kindling. Inuyasha hooked a handful of his hair over his shoulder and spread it over her back, shrouding her in a silvery blanket.
 
“Who is it?” She whispered, hoping that it wasn't Shippo who would be getting an eyeful.
 
“The slayer.” He grumbled back; she relaxed slightly. A moment later, she could hear Sango's sharp intake of breath, and knew that it probably was the result of Inuyasha's death-glare, rather than the close proximity she found them in.
 
“Um…sorry. Dinner's ready, and Shippo is insisting that nobody starts until you two join us.”
 
“We'll be right there…” Kagome patted Inuyasha's chest at his disappointed growl; she waited until Sango had noisily trampled the undergrowth on her way back before reaching up to kiss her hanyou softly and tenderly. When she broke away, he held her against him long enough to let her know that he really, really didn't want to be interrupted, and then let her go.
 
She felt oddly shy about towelling off in front of him, but he wordlessly handed her his haori and pulled on his hakama. When she protested, he fixed her with a beady golden eye. “Keh! You'd rather wear cold leather than warm fire-rat? Seriously?” and she had to admit she wouldn't, so just tied her obi, pulled on her boots, and collected the swords while he tied his juban closed and picked up her gear. He slung his arm around her shoulders and they walked back together with her head leaning against his shoulder.
 
“Hurry up! The venison is done to a turn, and I'm drooling I'm so hungry!” Shippo was too busy remonstrating to comment that Kagome was wearing half of Inuyasha's clothes, and that the hanyou looked a bit grouchy as opposed to relaxed as he threw Kagome's leathers into the girls' tent. The kitsune dished up the meal; Inuyasha sat with his back against a handy tree, Kagome curled against his side. He looked down at her in surprise when she nearly jarred his mess tin out of his hands by abruptly jamming her elbow into his ribs and then followed the line of her pointing chopsticks.
 
Sango was sitting beside Miroku…willingly. The monk was smiling slightly as he bent his head to better hear the slayer's soft words, his hands clasped in his lap. Kagome and Inuyasha glanced at each other, then looked back across the fire. They both noted that while Miroku still looked very, very tired and his gaze dark, he appeared extremely content at that moment to have Sango by his side. The slayer, for her part, seemed to have decided that being well within groping range was something she could deal with…for now.
 
Shippo handed Miroku and Sango their portions, came back around the fire, grabbed his own and plopped down on Inuyasha's other side, leaning back against the hanyou's leg. “Told ya that the houshi liked Sango,” he chuckled quietly around his chopsticks as he shovelled in the food at an alarming rate. They all stilled as Kirara, in her kitten form, appeared out of the bushes… and stopped dead when she saw her mistress and the houshi practically snuggled up together. Narrowing her red eyes, the neko-youkai stalked forward until she was right in front of the couple, her twin tails rigidly vertical.
 
Sango smiled quietly at the fire-cat, who seemed to think things over for a moment and then shrug slightly. She jumped onto the log the couple were sitting on, stepped daintily onto Miroku's lap, then draped herself in such a way that her front paws and head were resting on Sango's leg as well, purring mightily the whole time. The three watching from the other side of the fire blinked, glanced at each other, and decided to withhold comment for another time.
 
“Inuyasha? What is our next course of action?” Miroku's voice was quiet.
 
Kagome looked up at the hanyou as he paused to think a bit; then he smiled at her. “If everyone is feeling up to it, I'd like to continue going north-west. I know that's not exactly the direct path to Kaede's, but I just have this feeling that Naraku isn't too far off and I want to check it out.”
 
“That is reasonable, Inuyasha. Shippo, thank you for the meal. If no one has any other comments, I believe that I would like to withdraw to meditate for a while, and take advantage of the hot spring.”
 
Miroku smiled at Sango before shifting Kirara entirely onto her lap, picking up his staff and heading off in the direction of the hot spring. Shippo collected all the empty mess tins and made tea, then occupied himself by washing the dishes and packing them away. Inuyasha lifted Kagome, who was still wearing only his haori and her combat boots, into his lap and wrapped his arms snugly around her. He only let go slightly when the kitsune served them mugs of tea. Shippo poured two more mugs and took them over to Sango, giving her one and sitting at her feet, sipping his own. Peace reigned in the clearing until Sango shook herself slightly, put down her half-empty mug, and stood up with Kirara in her arms. “I think I'm going to turn in…I expect we'll have a long day of travel tomorrow. Thanks for looking after all of us so well, Shippo. Good night, everyone.”
 
The rest chorused their `good nights' and Sango smiled a little before disappearing into the tent. Kagome yawned and rubbed her cheek against Inuyasha's chest. He started purring softly and stroking her hair, running his claws through it. She toyed with a few strands of silver that fell into her lap, watching the firelight turn it golden. The hanyou caught her wrist and let the sleeve fall back, exposing the two braided bracelets. He rubbed his thumb over them. “Y'know, wench…don't ever doubt me, or how I feel about you. You are mine and I am yours…that's all there is to it. Got it?”
 
Kagome chuckled softly. “As romantic as ever, eh, Inu-chan?” He stiffened; she quickly reached up to catch a sidelock and tilt his face down to hers. “And I wouldn't have you any other way…my hanyou.”
 
He smirked. “Is that right…my bitch?” He caught her balled fist easily before she made contact with his chin, and then moved in to kiss her thoroughly. They were well and truly involved when they heard Shippo snort.
 
“You two are just too damn mushy for me…I'm gonna check on the houshi.”
 
Inuyasha watched the kit leave, since Kagome had hidden her face in his shirt, embarrassed that she'd forgotten about Shippo's presence. She felt his breath ruffle her bangs. “What say we take over the other tent tonight, koishii? Sango might not mind the houshi for a roommate…” He trailed off suggestively.
 
“You want Shippo to come flying in and land on your naked hanyou butt? I'm not interested in mixed-species threesomes…”
 
“The runt can bite my naked butt…but I'd rather you did…” His voice had dropped into that lower register that made parts of her go instantly hot and bothered, and his smirk was very wide as her arousal hit his nose. He tilted her over backward and began kissing her throat while his hand crept under the haori and up her thigh. While enjoying herself immensely, Kagome didn't really want to be caught by the monk, which would make everyone except the horses having a free show in the last couple of hours. Reluctantly, she squirmed out of his lap, even as he groaned and yanked her back.
 
“Not a good idea, Inuyasha…”
 
“I'm dying here, wench!”
 
Kagome couldn't miss the impressive tenting going on in his hakama, and was tempted, but risking another al fresco romp probably wasn't a good idea…even if pissing Kikyo off was a rather attractive motivation. “C'mere, dog-boy…let me do something for you…” The glint in his eye turned to puzzlement when she escaped his embrace, but then pulled his head down into her lap. Smirking, he turned and quickly buried his face against her sex, and worked on parting the fire-rat below where it was secured with her obi. He had almost reached his goal when Kagome went at it with a will on his ears, completely distracting him until he couldn't think straight anymore. That, coupled with her scent, took him over the edge very quickly.
 
She'd rather suspected that something like this could be possible from just ear-manipulation, since he was so responsive when she touched them, and nearly giggled when he gasped and then shuddered violently, hissing between clenched fangs, gripping her a bit uncomfortably with his claws while his hips bucked. He relaxed completely for a few moments, then cracked an eye to peer up at her, a crooked grin on his lips. “Guess I have to go back to the hot spring…after I take care of something.”
 
“Uh-uh…that's pushing our luck. You wouldn't be able to hear or smell anything else until the houshi was selling popcorn. You can owe me one, and I aim to collect. Shoo…off you go...”
 
Koishii…” His eye had that glint in it again, that said very clearly she had better put significant distance between them, and quickly, so she pushed him off her lap and scampered towards the tent. Inuyasha watched her for a moment, then grinned evilly. After carefully ascertaining that the houshi and the kitsune were absolutely nowhere in the vicinity, he pounced.
 
Kagome was within arm's reach of the tent flap when she was trapped in his arms. Within a couple of seconds, he had her obi untied and the haori stripped off, leaving her stark naked except for her combat boots. She was open-mouthed, and then the cold air hit her, making her skin instantly react. “Inuyasha…!”
 
He was already out of range on the edge of the clearing, appraising her figure with an appreciative leer before turning on his heel to head for the spring. “Needed something dry to put on…night, wench!” Her spluttered profanity was worth the risk of a `sit', even if the sight of his naked mate was going to mean he should probably try to find some cold water…
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Koga leaned back against the wall of his den, propped up by two furry companions who whined softly as they snuggled against him. He absently scratched the one's ears while carefully resting his still-injured arm on his bent knee. Ginta appeared before him, looking a little nervous. “The leaders of the northern wolf demon tribe have arrived to parley.”
 
He tried not to flinch as he moved into a more comfortable position. “Send `em in…might as well be entertained…”
 
As the other demons made their way across the cave towards them, he observed that many of them were recovering from what looked like fairly serious wounds. When the two leaders dropped to their haunches in front of him, he made sure they saw him giving them a thorough once-over. “What the hell happened to you? Looks like some bad-ass demon gave you a thorough kicking.”
 
The alpha looked instantly shifty. “We, ah, ran into some trouble during our recent territorial expansion efforts.”
 
“Fancy words that mean you got your asses handed to you by the demon that claims the land.” The alpha didn't answer, and Koga was suddenly impatient to go back to brooding. “What do you want?”
 
Back on a safe topic, the alpha's eyes glowed faintly red with excitement. “We've heard that there's a big load of Shikon shards just waiting to be claimed, at a castle two day's journey from here. Seems a human lord has been amassing them…thought we'd ask if you wanted in.”
 
“So, you need some more demons to storm the castle of a puny human?”
 
The alpha scratched a pattern in the dust with his claw. “If he has as many shards as they claim, he's no regular puny human. It's up to you though…we didn't realize that you were still wounded from that fight with the harpy tribe.”
 
Koga fell silent. It was true that his arm wasn't healing as fast as it should…it had been over three months and his flesh still wasn't completely whole from the shredding the harpies had inflicted on it (he didn't like to admit that he'd nearly had to regenerate the whole forearm), but it was really his anger at the hanyou that held him back. He didn't want to risk any more injuries until he could face him in battle and claim Kagome for keeps. `Death match', he snorted silently. Arrogant piece of dog-shit… “I'm not interested, but I won't stop any of my tribe from joining you if they want. Just don't try to screw them out of their fair share of the shards, or you'll regret it.”
 
The alpha and his beta nodded eagerly, and stood up. At a nod from Koga, Ginta howled the offer to the rest of the tribe, and Koga wasn't surprised to see the cave empty in a matter of minutes, save for Ginta and Hakkaku. “Why aren't you two running off like you're chasing a bitch in heat?”
 
The two exchanged looks. Hakkaku started sharpening his claws. “Somebody has to stay with the chief…might as well be us. There's always more shards, right, Koga?”
 
“Feh. Do what you want.” Koga leaned back against his furs, which his nose told him still smelled very, very faintly of Kagome, and closed his eyes. You'll be mine soon…and Inuyasha will be dead
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
The hunters moved steadily north-west for the next couple of days, until they stopped in a village to ask their usual questions of demonic activity in the area, and the villagers were only too happy to regale them with tales of a monstrous bear that had begun attacking them, picking them off one by one on the paths and fields. Inuyasha wasn't interested, as usual, in anything that didn't promise a Jewel shard, until Sango pointed out that this didn't seem like normal bear behaviour. Kagome said nothing, and wondered if her anger at bears in general was warranted by the carnivorous activity of one.
 
The result was, on this drizzly morning, it was a grumpy hanyou leading the group through a heavily forested section of territory, chasing the elusive sensation of a Jewel shard that was tickling the edges of Kagome's consciousness, when they were confronted by a couple of extremely scruffy-looking bandits. Kagome and Sango eyed them from the relative safety of the horses; Miroku had elected to walk. The bandits leered; Inuyasha bared his fangs and started growling.
 
“Well, well…what a couple of pretties…we could get a good price for them. Leave us the women, and you two can pass.”
 
Miroku sighed and lightly tapped the hanyou with his staff, as the growls were increasing in volume. “If you do not wish to feel the wrath of this very protective, easily angered inu-youkai for your affront to his wife, I suggest that you leave the area immediately.”
 
“Leave? Not until we've taken what we want…” Laughing darkly, the two, whom Kagome surmised must be drunk to be this stupid, drew their weapons and charged at them. They were all stunned when the vegetation behind the attackers was suddenly torn open by massive claws, and a monstrous sight hove into view. The bandits shrieked and ran, leaving Inuyasha and Miroku directly in the path of a creature that may have been a bear at some point, but was now nothing short of revolting.
 
Its rib cage was exposed, the skin and muscles that once covered it torn away…but it was the creature's head that horrified the girls the most. All the skin and part of the skull had been stripped away, exposing the coiled grey matter of its brain and the entirety of its eyeballs. No lips shielded its teeth, but there was a tongue visible as it opened its mouth and roared. Arashi and Juhi twitched, but did not shy away; Kagome was more grateful than ever before for the hanyou's suggestion to acclimatize them to her power.
 
Inuyasha covered his nose with his sleeve at the stench of death surrounding the creature, and released Tetsusaiga from its sheath. Behind him, Kagome suddenly collected herself and yelled. “The shard…it's in its forehead!”
 
“Hold still like a dead bear…Tetsusaiga!” Inuyasha leapt and swiped a powerful blow, but while the bear fell, it didn't appear to be injured too severely, regained its feet and began running away. “Damn! After it!” Kirara transformed and swooped down to grab Miroku while the girls put their heels to their mounts and charged after the rapidly moving red and silver blur up ahead. In their headlong rush, Sango thought to note the direction the bear was heading. Suspicions instantly aroused, she urged Juhi to an even faster pace.
 
They caught up just as the hell wasps took down the bear and swarmed it, hundreds of them crawling over the carcass until one of them, the largest, plucked the shard out of the creature's forehead and put it out of its misery. The carcass fizzled away into ashes and bone as the cloud of insects spiralled up into the sky after the one carrying the shard. Kagome fired an arrow, but the range was too great, and increasing rapidly. Sango sent the Hiraikotsu whirling, but with much the same result of taking out only a few of the stragglers.
 
“They should lead us right to Naraku's castle! After them!” Inuyasha froze in mid-stride when he heard Sango's quiet voice.
 
“They are probably leading us into another trap…we would be very wise to watch ourselves carefully.”
 
Miroku, still astride Kirara, nodded thoughtfully. “You are very likely correct, Sango-sama. After our most recent meeting with Naraku, I have no desire to see what other torments he has devised for us. Let us exercise due caution in our pursuit.”
 
“The hell wasps disappeared in a north-westerly direction; Kagome, can you still pick up the shard they took from the bear?” Sango turned in her saddle to look at the other girl, who was very grim-faced.
 
After a moment, Kagome shook her head. “It's gone… “
 
“Same direction…north-west. Let's go. Keep your eyes and ears open…”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
The massed wolf demons waited until dusk fell before stealthily approaching the battlements of the darkened castle. “Easy now,” cautioned the beta, restraining his eager horde, some of whom were gnashing their fangs and emitting small yips of excitement.
 
The alpha looked up at the walls speculatively. For a large castle, it was rather quiet. Usually humans were noisy in everything they did, and he couldn't even hear the movements of the guards in the watchtowers, no matter how hard he strained his ears. He shrugged; their lack of attentiveness would just make it that much easier… “Go over the top in a rush, take out anything that opposes you and when the shards are found, I expect the finder to howl. Anyone who tries grabbing the shards for themselves and lighting out of here will be hunted down and gutted…do I make myself clear?”
 
A low chorus of growls was his answer, and the wolves silently moved into position at the base of the walls, keeping their feral eyes locked on the beta. At a nod from the alpha, he let out a single, short, piercing howl and the wolf demons leapt over the walls, claws extended, fangs gleaming in the twilight. They were halfway across the hard-packed yard when the absolute, utter silence caught their attention. Not a breath of wind stirred, not a sound or scent of anything alive struck their senses. Their skin suddenly crawling, their fur slowly rising, the wolf pack halted as one and looked around.
 
“What a miserable rabble…I was hoping for more challenging opponents…”
 
The woman who spoke so icily from the verandah of the central pavilion was exquisitely beautiful. Garbed in three layers of silk kimonos, her glossy black hair upswept into an elegant knot, her skin as white as the finest porcelain, she had the appearance of a noblewoman. It was the malicious glint in her ruby eyes, and the mocking curl to her dainty lips that gave the game away as to her true nature.
 
“Such a waste of my powers, to merely take out the garbage…” She snapped open a very large fan, striking a pose and allowing a cruel smile to curve her lips before she swept down her arm in a cutting motion…
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж