InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Phoenix Blade: Time Lapse ❯ Hell Spawn III Breaking Point ( Chapter 39 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: Don't own…don't sue.
 
A/N: I had far more fun than I should have twisting this episode…hope you enjoy it!
 
The Phoenix Blade: Time Lapse
Chapter 39: Hell Spawn III Breaking Point
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
Sengoku Jidai
Late evening of the same day
 
“Eat up, Ship-dip…we'll have to move before dawn, so use the time to digest.”
 
“Aw…do we have to leave, Kagome? Sango's still hurt…”
 
“Kikyo and Kagura know where we are, so it's a safe bet that Naraku does, too.”
 
“Unfortunately, I must agree with Kagome-sama. We will allow Inuyasha and Sango-sama to rest a little longer, and then we must move on.”
 
Inside the hut, Inuyasha stirred his meal listlessly. Shippo had delivered mess tins of rice, pickled vegetables and grilled rabbit, but the food was dust in his mouth. Kagome was furious with him…again, and this time it came equipped with a honed edge. Previously, he'd thought of her temper (despite the occasional thunderously-intoned `sit'), as being like a fluffy kitten batting at him with sheathed claws…nothing too serious and easily soothed away. This time…the claws were katana-sized, and she'd probably purify him if he tried `petting' her.
 
Sighing, he put the almost-full tin to the side, next to the slayer's untouched meal. She shifted restlessly in her sleep, making small sounds of pain when her bruised muscles twinged. Inuyasha watched her for a while, then leaned his head back against the wall and raked his claws through his hair. Despite knowing what Kagome needed from him, he just couldn't bring himself to completely condemn Kikyo. She hadn't wanted to be resurrected, and now was some kind of demon…the total opposite of what she had been in life. None of her actions made any real sense…well, considering there wasn't a brain inside that head of hers to make coherent decisions, it was to be expected.
 
Kagome is showing a great deal of restraint in not embedding you.
Lucky I'm already injured, huh?
Why don't you just let her take out the dead bitch, and this whole thing is done?
Kikyo exists now because I couldn't keep my mouth shut all those months ago.
You feel guilty?
Yeah.
Did you really want her back at that time?
No…I only wanted Kagome. She's all I ever wanted.
I don't understand why you're screwing around with our bitch's feelings.
I'm not trying to…waitaminute…our bitch?
Maybe I could try explaining things to her.
Not on your life…you keep your paws off my bitch.
I can't fuck it up any worse than you.
 
Shippo bounded in to collect the mess tins; since Sango had slept through the meal…again…he cast a very jaundiced eye over the hardly-touched food. “After all the effort Kagome went through to provide dinner for us, you could at least eat some of it.”
 
“Not hungry, runt…help yourself.”
 
The kit hesitated, then glanced quickly up at the hanyou. “Kagome's eyes aren't turning grey, Inuyasha…they've been silver ever since she came back, and it's giving me the chills.”
 
“Just means she's on alert…nothing else, Shippo. Naraku probably isn't too far away.”
 
“I wish you were better…”
 
“So do I.” He noticed Shippo fidgeting, like he wanted to say something else, but at that moment the hanyou's nose picked up a very unpleasant scent at the same time as there was a general scramble of bodies and weapons outside the hut.
 
Miroku's tense voice hissed from just outside the door. “We have company…”
 
Inuyasha staggered to his feet, and then carefully leaned down to shake Sango awake. “Let's go, slayer. Trouble's found us again…” Sango slowly sat up, and took the hanyou's outstretched hand. His muscles complained loudly from the strain of pulling her upright, but he was willing to bet that hers hurt even more. Together they tottered to the doorframe; Shippo's tail was twice its normal size as he peered under the edge of the mat.
 
Kagome had an arrow levelled at a naked figure wobbling on the edge of the firelight, its eyes staring unblinkingly at her. Its lips barely moved, the voice a ghost of what it had been. “Village destroyed…ogre…spider marking…” With that, it collapsed into a bubbling puddle of black ooze and dirty foam.
 
“Kagura's sent mail…it's an invitation to a dance, apparently.” Kagome's voice crackled in the darkness. “Another lovely set-up…the team at half-strength…I wonder what sort of knuckle-dragger this next one will be? Remind me to thank Kikyo next time I see her…” She stepped over the puddle, clipping her tunic closed and adjusting her weapons before looking directly at them.
 
Inuyasha inhaled sharply. The silver-eyed fiend
 
“Let's go, houshi. This unfortunate left a fairly obvious trail back into the bush. Shippo, I assume you and Kirara can watch over Inuyasha and Sango…or should we erect a barrier around the hut?” The hanyou stared at Kagome for a moment, while his brain clicked over.
 
“What the fuck…? You think we're staying behind?”
 
She shot him a cool, appraising glance. “Neither you nor Sango have operational weapons capability right now, and therefore shouldn't be anywhere near a battlefield…”
 
Inuyasha ground his fangs. “Wench…”
 
“I was trying to be polite, Inuyasha. You're a liability.”
 
Miroku intervened around Inuyasha's snarl. “Naraku spends a great deal of energy splitting us up, Kagome-sama. Why play his game?”
 
“Purely tactical reasons. If those two come with us, one has to stay back to defend them…leaving one to go up against what-ever-it-is that's waiting.”
 
“We all go together, Kagome.” It was the first time Sango had spoken in two days; her voice was raw. Kagome locked eyes with her, and for a long moment, neither moved.
 
“Let's hope it isn't our funeral.” The armoured girl muttered pointedly, before turning to the work of dousing the fire.
 
Inuyasha watched Kagome for a few moments longer; Shippo tugged on his hakama leg. When he looked down, the kit was holding up his folded juban, a scared expression in his wide green eyes. “Thanks runt…where's my fire-rat?”
 
“It's still really shredded, Inuyasha…is this a good idea? You're hurt, and you won't have any armour to protect you…”
 
“We don't have any choice, Shippo. Despite someone being a total bitch right now, like hell I'll let her go up against any of Naraku's spawn with only the houshi as backup.” Shippo nodded, collected the mess tins and began the task of cleaning them out and packing them into the saddlebags, as well as rolling up the bedrolls.
 
Kagome had heard Inuyasha's last remark and chose to ignore it as she worked on saddling the horses. Shippo helped her secure the bags and packs, and then she and Miroku carefully eased Sango onto a transformed Kirara. Once the slayer was positioned and Shippo perched between Kirara's ears, Kagome returned to the hut to retrieve the Hiraikotsu. Inuyasha was painfully tucking the tails of his juban into his hakama; she avoided looking at him and grabbed the heavy boomerang.
 
“Kagome…”
 
She closed her eyes against the tender, pleading note and stiffened her spine. He took a step towards her; she held up her hand, the one with blood still staining it from her abuse of the wooden hut's framework. “Since you're so keen to see the show, let's go.”
 
Even injured, he still moved so fast that she didn't have a chance to block him with Hiraikotsu; his grip on her arm was almost painful. Slowly, significantly, she looked from his claws digging into the dragon-hide up to his face and back again. “I suggest you let `the bitch' go…the more time we waste, the more likely it is that Naraku ruins innocent lives.” Inuyasha released her arm and stepped back, his expression dark. Kagome tossed her braid back over her shoulder and started manoeuvring the Hiraikotsu out the door. She glanced at him when he sighed.
 
His ears drooped as he closed his eyes wearily. “Please don't do this… Kagome, I'm not lying when I tell you I love you. You are everything to me…”
 
She stilled him with a burning, agonized look. “I love you, too, but I can't handle this crap anymore. I'm sick of this shit…just once, stop yourself from cutting Kikyo so much damn slack, and then you won't be in the position of having to apologize.” She finished dragging Hiraikotsu through the door, putting distance between herself and Inuyasha, even though her heart was aching.
 
Sango looked quite white-faced as she perched on Kirara, but insisted on carrying Hiraikotsu across her back; Kagome helped her arrange the strap as comfortably as possible. Miroku stepped forward, obviously intending to ride with Sango, but Kagome waved him away and pointed at Juhi. He sighed despondently and trailed over to the gelding. When Inuyasha finally emerged from the hut, Kagome crooked her finger at him. His ears were slightly flattened; he stopped several feet away, Tetsusaiga at his hip and his tattered fire-rat over one shoulder, an unfathomable look in his golden eyes.
 
“Your steed awaits.” Kagome indicated Kirara, who snorted indignantly at being compared to a horse. Inuyasha didn't move. Kagome turned away and executed a fairly impressive vault up onto Arashi's back, gathered the reins and spun the mare around on her haunches. “Your options are walking or the cat…make up your mind fast, because this bus is leaving the station. If you're airborne, at least you can spot for us.” Whirling the horse around, she applied both reins and heels, and Arashi charged forward into the darkness, Juhi startling the monk into a whoop by diving after his herd-mate.
 
Inuyasha stood stock-still, considering several choice expletives, when Kirara padded up beside him and growled. Adjusting the Tetsusaiga, he slid onto her back behind Sango, and lightly gripped the edges of the Hiraikotsu. Kirara rumbled again, and rose into the air. In that moment, he knew why Kagome had forced him into this option; Kirara's smooth motion was considerably easier on his injuries than a hell-bent-for-leather rush on Arashi. Maybe she's starting to pull in her claws… Inuyasha could hear the drumming of the horses' hooves over the rush of air in his ears; he could just make out the figures hunched over the animals' necks in the light of the waning moon.
 
His head snapped up and he regarded the sky anxiously. Four nights until the new moon…shit.
 
They cleared a copse of trees topping a slight rise, and the smell of the devastated village hit him forcefully. Dust, torn vegetation…lots of blood and internal organ scents. He could see a huge, long-armed, horned figure tearing at something in the centre of the ruined habitation…and in the moonlight, a horribly familiar marking rippled with the muscles on its back. “Take us down, Kirara!” he shouted above the wind, and the fire-cat swooped over the horses, until they were neck and neck with Arashi. “It's big and ugly, Kagome…” Silver flashed above a tight smile, and then the horses broke through the intervening trees and pulled up sharply, whinnying. Kirara landed beside them, and for a moment they just observed the creature, noting its size, its large beaky muzzle and the long, katana-like spikes sprouting from its wrists and angling outward, like the spurs on a fighting rooster.
 
Then they heard the screaming.
 
Inuyasha flew and Tetsusaiga blossomed in his hand, slashing downward in a shining arc, sending the creature skittering backwards, surprisingly agile despite its awkward appearance.
 
“Damn hanyou…he's going to get himself killed!” Kagome snarled in mid-dismount as Shippo took the reins and led the horses back into the dark forest; Kirara carried Sango forward as Kagome and Miroku raced towards the battle-zone.
 
“Get out of here…now!” Inuyasha roared at the gawping children, a young boy and an even younger girl cowering in the straw of the destroyed stable, their eyes wide. He turned his attention back to the ogre. “So, you're the new big ugly Naraku popped out, huh? At least Kagura and Kanna are easy on the eyes…he messed up big time with you.”
 
“Is that what you really think, half-breed? I heard something more along the lines of, `How did he move so fast? How could he avoid Tetsusaiga?' Oh, and… `How can he read my thoughts'?”
 
Inuyasha had a moment of stupefaction, and then he started to growl. The creature laughed. “I am Goshinki, half-breed. Kagura and Kanna were only diversions to pass the time until I was ready to be unleashed…and yes, I can read my opponent's thoughts. Yours are so banal; I was hoping for a more challenging opponent.”
 
Inuyasha ground his fangs, tried not to think about it, and struck. Goshinki vanished…and reappeared behind the hanyou. “Pathetic…I knew where that strike was directed before you even swung your blade,” he gloated, then swiped at Inuyasha with a clawed fist. The injured hanyou literally bounced off the ground and into the wreckage of the stable, sending debris flying.
 
Miroku leapt up from where he and Kagome crouched next to Kirara and Sango, unwinding his prayer beads in a smooth motion. He barely had time to unclench his fist when the familiar, hated buzzing filled the air, along with Goshinki's grating laugh. The monk made a small portion of the air turn blue with some very unholy language as he restrained the Vortex. The ogre chuckled again. “I had such high hopes for all of you as opponents, but I can see I'll be disappointed. Sango cannot move due to my sister Kanna's mirror, so no chance to test myself against the Hiraikotsu. Kagome…you could be a challenge, but I will know the path of your arrows before you even pull one from your quiver. Miroku…ah, well…I'd rather eat you before allowing the hell wasps to poison you. Their venom leaves such a bad aftertaste in my mouth.”
 
Inuyasha slowly pulled himself out of the hay and broken wood. His flickering ears picked up Goshinki's taunts…and the sound of sobbing behind him. Turning his head slightly, he saw the two children crouching in the debris, clutching rounded objects to their thin chests, looks of desperation on their faces. In a moment, he realized that the objects were severed heads. “Hey, runts…are those your parents?” They nodded wordlessly, tears rolling down their cheeks.
 
Grunting slightly from the pain, Inuyasha stood up and turned to face Goshinki, who swung his attention back to the hanyou…and started to laugh. “Very nice, Inuyasha… `I'm going to kill you'… how original. I'm curious about something, though…has your demon half never been allowed out, to devour the sweet flesh of humans?”
 
Inuyasha shuddered in revulsion. “I'm not a monster like you…”
 
“Ah, but you could be. I wonder what it will take to bring it out to play?”
 
“Don't you…”
 
“ `…even think about it'? So predictable…”
 
Six different lurid shades of red swam in front of Inuyasha's vision and he brought the Tetsusaiga up into position for the two-handed, downward slash of the `Wind Scar'. Goshinki's beady eyes glinted in anticipation.
 
“The `Wind Scar', eh? Now, this could be fun…”
 
“Only if death is fun, you freak! Go to hell!” There was not enough time to react when the ogre roared and dove forward, pushing himself through the `Wind Scar's striking point, opening his mouth wide, sturdy pointed fangs gleaming….
 
…and Inuyasha switched his stance at the last moment and swung a mighty sideways blow that caught Goshinki across the jaws. The ogre's mouth snapped shut, gripping the Tetsusaiga and biting down hard on the enchanted blade. For a moment, only the high-pitched keening of teeth on metal was audible, and then Kagome heard the Tetsusaiga scream in agony, Fenikkusuken howling a reply…just as the mighty blade snapped in two.
 
Inuyasha could only stare at the truncated fang of his father, the weapon he'd come to rely on to protect Kagome, himself and his pack. He barely heard Goshinki's gloating as he turned the injured metal over in his hands. “A dog's fang, eh? Nothing compared to my ogre's fangs, as I expected; just as a half-breed is nothing compared to a full demon.” Inuyasha's dazed inattention meant he was unable to avoid the strike when it whistled in behind him. The hanyou landed face-first, boneless, the stump of the Tetsusaiga falling out of his limp hand to clatter to the ground several feet away. Goshinki licked the blood from his claws and sighed regretfully. “Really, Inuyasha…I was led to believe that you would be more of an opponent than this. Even with your sword, you're nothing. I'll devour you last, as a sort of savoury after the main meal.”
 
Kagome had been staggered by the momentary drop in Inuyasha's heart rate, but then recovered and started to run towards the hanyou's still form. Miroku caught her arm in a grip of steel and yanked backwards, then fumbled with the prayer beads. That split-second cost him, and Kagome hit the ground as the monk was thrown back by a lazy swat of the ogre's fist. “A little tenderization always makes my meal taste so much better…now, Kagome, you wait right there while I snack on these other three…oooh, a neko-youkai! Just like litchis…have to peel off the fuzzy covering first…”
 
Sweetheart…he's made out of the same shit as Naraku!
Release us, Phoenix!
 
Ignite!
 
Kagome dimly realized that it may not have been a really smart idea to call on her full power when her heart rate was compromised by Inuyasha's, but what else could she do? When she saw Goshinki's clawed hand reaching for her huddled friends, Sango cradling Miroku in her arms, Kirara roaring and rearing up on her hind paws to slash at their attacker, she just reacted without thinking.
 
Which is how she caught Goshinki completely off-guard.
 
Miroku and Sango gasped in unison as a silver bolt streaked in front of them and resolved itself into a blazing girl, her sword lighting up the darkness like a torch. Goshinki retracted his hand and rocked back on his heels. “Well, well, well…you do have a trick or two up your sleeve, Kagome. Very pretty. Now, get out of the way, or I will disrupt my meal plans and start with you.”
 
“Don't choke on the first bite,” was the girl's icy retort. Kagome was suddenly unafraid and deadly calm, her body lightly pulsing with barely restrained power.
 
“Your thoughts are harder to read, Kagome…but you shall die anyways.” The words were barely out of his throat when the girl apparently vanished from in front of him. He caught the faintest blur of movement from the corner of his eye and lashed out. The air pressure of the near miss just managed to deflect her slightly, but she twisted while in flight and scored a long cut across one arm.
 
Kagome managed to get her feet under her before she hit the ground. The momentum of her attack, plus that of the blow, sent her skidding backwards in an undignified crouch. She had barely ground to a stop before she saw Goshinki reaching for Sango and Miroku again, Kirara snapping desperately at his claws. She launched herself back across the battlefield and dove under the ogre's hand, tossed her sword across her shoulders, honed edge up. Dropping her chin to her chest, she rammed herself up to standing, embedding the katana into Goshinki's palm. The blade rained red and green sparks from the power she poured into it, hoping to either burn Goshinki's hand off or at least slice it in half.
 
The ogre snatched his sizzling hand away, easing the downward pressure on the girl's defiant form so quickly that she stumbled and went sprawling, bloodying her free hand on the sharp gravel but not letting go of her katana. Inuyasha
 
Goshinki paused in his perusal of the damage to his hand to cast a mock-pitying glance at her. “Foolish girl…surely you don't think that Inuyasha will miraculously revive and rescue you?” At that moment, two powerful pulses, one right after the other, shook Kagome's body, sent her power escalating, and she lifted her head to look towards the hanyou. Inuyasha?
 
The ogre chuckled condescendingly. “I told you, stupid girl, he's already …what's this? Impossible!” He had started to turn, when a powerful, jarring attack spun him across the battle-field…and he was minus an arm, the exposed jagged end of the bone protruding gruesomely from the living flesh. The limb itself bounced towards the group and he took some grim pleasure in the thought of the injuries they would sustain.
 
Kagome scrambled to her feet, and set a barrier, frying the unlikely missile to a crisp. As soon as it lay still, lightly smoking, she dropped the barrier and sprang over the charred limb, preparing to challenge the ogre again. She had the wind knocked out of her as she was caught around the ribs by a muscled arm and pulled backwards, landing on her knees nearly twenty feet away from her previous position, anchored against a strong, hard body. A powerful blast of youkai overwhelmed her senses for a moment, and she started to struggle. She froze when her braid was pushed aside and what felt like fangs pressed against the nape of her neck. A deep, rough voice that she recognized and yet didn't, rumbled “Are you hurt?”
 
Before she could answer, a nose was buried in her skin and several deep sniffs taken. Glancing down, she saw familiar red hakama covering the thighs bracketing hers, and relaxed slightly…until a clawed hand seized her injured one. She tensed at the sight of extremely long, tapered, razor-edged claws as the fingers curled around hers and turned her hand palm upwards, revealing the torn and bloodied skin.
 
“Ya gotta watch your landings, bitch.” Before she could automatically protest his word choice, her hand was raised to his mouth and his soft tongue made several passes over her palm, cleaning away the blood. Kagome closed her eyes for a moment, the contact making her shiver involuntarily…and then she felt the fangs again. Slowly, hoping she was mistaken, she peeked through her lashes at the demon leaning over her shoulder and licking her skin so tenderly. Every sweep of his tongue caused the tips of elongated fangs to scrape lightly across her flesh. Her eyes moved up the line of his jaw to his cheek and stalled. A jagged dark blue stripe swept up into his hairline; seemingly unaware of her startled gasp, he purred contentedly as he continued his ministrations.
 
On an impulse that she hoped wouldn't backfire, Kagome relaxed the fingertips of her rapidly healing hand until they rested lightly against the cheek of the demon, the contact causing the purring to increase in volume. She was studying his cheek stripe and his fangs when he pressed a kiss in the centre of her palm and looked directly into her eyes. Instead of familiar golden irises, blood red orbs highlighted by a brilliant blue pupil scanned her face. Kagome felt her world tilt sideways and start to spin.
 
Instantly, the demon that had been Inuyasha started purring more throatily and his youkai wrapped around her, a tangible presence that was reassuring, not threatening. Her power rose in response, but instead of repulsing him, it coiled around both of them. The demon turned her slightly in his arms, tucking her under his chin as he released her hand and lightly touched her cheek with his knuckles, those more-lethal-than-usual claws curled away from her skin. Cautiously, she looked up and found herself only inches from those glowing red pools. Lips curved around the fangs, in an expression that she supposed was meant to be reassuring. “My bitch,” he said simply, and Kagome managed a tremulous smile.
 
“Inuyasha…?” The demon smiled again, and tightened his hold around her body. Rising, he lifted her easily to her feet and steadied her against him. Kagome finally noticed that all the bandages were torn away, but that he was healed as if he'd never been injured; his shredded juban, or what was left of it, hung around his waist. His silver hair was shaggier, rougher-looking, more fur-like. He brought his palm up to cup her cheek; Kagome felt the tips of the claws prickling her neck.
 
“I'll protect you.” That simple declaration let her know that Inuyasha was in there somewhere. She nodded mutely, and the demon leaned in and pressed his fanged lips to her forehead before releasing her and stalking with predatory grace towards Goshinki, cracking his knuckles. “You hurt my mate, fucker. You're gonna die.”
 
The ogre snarled, the pain from his surprise amputation throbbing through his brain. “Why have you transformed? I don't understand…”
 
The demon snorted derisively. “Don't bust something else thinking about it. Doesn't matter anyhow, since you've bought a one-way ticket to the seventh hell.”
 
“Your thoughts are unreadable…I cannot predict your moves! You filthy half-breed!”
 
“Considering that you're born of Naraku, you calling me a half-breed is rich, Goshinki. My demon blood is pure next to the shit running in your veins.”
 
“I will kill you, then your friends and save your woman for last, Inuyasha.”
 
Blue pupils gave an excellent impression of being rolled. “Getting old, Goshinki…time to die.” The demon crouched, sprang…and the ogre's mouth opened in a silent scream as a gaping, Inuyasha-sized hole appeared in its middle, its bloodied spinal column dragging on the ground behind it like some obscene tail. There was another blurred movement, then another and another…and the ogre collapsed into a pile of body parts, topped by its severed head. The eyes blinked and the jaws moved, but the ogre was done. The demon paused, licking off his claws, clearly savouring the taste.
 
“Kagome-sama…what has happened to Inuyasha?” Miroku's voice was very soft, but she had a feeling the demon could plainly hear from the other side of the field, as she observed one ear swivel towards them.
 
“He's become a full demon…I think.”
 
“What should we do?”
 
“Nothing. He recognizes me, I'm pretty sure.” Kagome watched the demon carefully as he thoroughly cleansed his fingers of blood and flesh. She could faintly see his youkai swirling around him…it was a shifting mix of reds, in comparison to Sesshomaru's, which had a distinct greenish colouration…like the vapours emitted by her katana, she suddenly realized. She wondered why she had only been able to sense Inuyasha's youkai before, but not see it until now…maybe because it is so much stronger, more like his brothers?
 
She sheathed her sword and began walking across the flesh-littered battlefield towards the demon, who watched her approach while continuing to clean his claws. He shook himself, very doggishly, his silver hair flying in all directions…and then he was in front of her, his arms sliding around her, ignoring her squeak of surprise as his fangs lightly scraped the delicate skin below her ear. Kagome's mind went blank for a moment when a tongue lapped her throat all the way up to her earlobe.
 
Go submissive, Nixie.
Submissive? Huh? You mean roll on my back?
Lick his chin…bare your throat
What? I'm not a dog!
Yeah, but he is, especially right now.
Somewhere in there is your hanyou. Don't be afraid.
 
Then, Yashita's long ago warning barrelled through her mind, sirens blaring and lights flashing, and she knew he meant this particular incident. `Even if I seem totally out of control at any point, your scent, your voice, your touch will always reach me…' Swallowing hard, Kagome twisted her head over to the side, and heard a deep rumble of unmistakeable satisfaction vibrate through her chest as the demon buried his face in her throat. Nuzzling and licking, he tried to nudge aside her tunic collar, growled in frustration, and then his claws were tearing at the tough leather. She reacted by batting at him, and when he growled louder, she quickly leaned up and kissed his chin, which turned the growl instantly into a purr. Remembering that Yashita had also commented that the tunic wasn't good for letting her scent calm him, she fumbled with the clips. The last one above her obi had barely slipped open when his claws were parting the leather and sliding inside to touch her armour.
 
Kagome held her breath, wondering if it would react to him unfavourably, but nothing happened. He was purring mightily as he traced the edges of the deep neckline and tapped on the buckles holding it closed. He leaned in, and the tip of his tongue traced a path from her cleavage up to her collarbone, continued up her throat until he lightly nipped her chin. Suddenly, he stopped, dipped his head and took several extra-deep sniffs inside the collar of her body armour, and then his claws were underneath the bottom edge of the tunic, searching for the clasp on her trousers. She went rigid, and was abruptly nose-to-nose with the scarlet-eyed demon as his hands cupped her buttocks, pulling her tightly and suggestively against him.
 
“My bitch smells good…needs to smell better,” was all he said, his words slightly distorted by the fangs, then went back to worrying the clasp on her trousers. Kagome gasped and nearly pushed him away when it dawned on her exactly what his intention was. What is it with this guy…always wanting to mate on a battlefield? The demon finally took a small step back, growling in irritation, clearly expecting her to undo the fastener herself. Kagome looked him dead in his flaming red eye.
 
“Sit.”
 
She backed up several feet, and flicked her bladeguard, her hand hovering over the hilt in case she needed to use the katana on him. Instead, she was thoroughly relieved when a very angry, golden-eyed hanyou popped his head up, swearing volubly.
 
“What the fuck was that for, wench?”
 
She grinned broadly at him. “For getting fresh in inappropriate locations, dog-boy.” She straightened and tapped the katana back into its sheath. In a blurred rush, the hanyou took her off her feet, clutching her so tightly against him that she was sure the rosary was imprinted across her cheek. He tilted her head back, and she was startled to see the unconcealed anxiety on his face.
 
“He didn't hurt you, did he?”
 
Kagome blinked. “Goshinki? No…” Inuyasha shook his head, a tight look in his eyes. She arched an eyebrow at him, puzzled. His ears flattened almost into his hair, and she realized who he was talking about. She smiled slightly, and reached up to gently tug on his sidelock. “You mean your youkai? He's an interesting guy…” Inuyasha ignored that and started sniffing her thoroughly, almost frantically, until she swatted him. “I'm fine, all right? Your demon side only wanted to finish scent-marking me, but I still don't find battlefields terribly romantic.”
 
“It's not that…my…my scent's changed…” She held still and let him investigate her skin, his breath giving her goosebumps. When he finished, he wrapped himself around her and held her tightly, his breathing ragged. She hugged him back, gently sliding her hands under his hair and rubbing his back soothingly.
 
“It was okay, Inuyasha. You protected me like you always do…just with your claws instead of Tetsusaiga.”
 
“Tetsusaiga!” He released her and turned away to scan for the remains of his sword, but was interrupted by a soft sniffle. They both looked over at the two young children whose screams had first alerted them. The little girl hesitated for a moment, then ran to throw her arms around Inuyasha's waist, giving the startled hanyou a hug before running back to her elder brother. The boy bowed deeply.
 
“Thank you, youkai-sama, for avenging our parents and our village. We will never forget you.”
 
“Do you have anywhere to go?” Kagome asked.
 
The boy nodded dully. “We will go to the village of our grandfather.”
 
“Is it far?”
 
“No, only two days walk in that direction.” He jerked his thumb over his shoulder. Kagome smiled.
 
“We have some food we can share with you for your journey. Come with me.” She held out her hand, and the little girl took it, then they began carefully picking their way across the battlezone towards the edge of the field, heading to where she knew Shippo waited with the horses. Inuyasha watched as the boy shyly took Kagome's other hand; a lump rose in his throat as he superimposed images of his own hoped-for pups over those of the children; he had to turn away. Where the hell did that come from…?
 
She looks good with pups, doesn't she?
You…quit messing with my head!
As if you haven't thought about it…
Grrrr….
Knock it off…we have to protect our bitch.
What did you do to her?
Nothing that you haven't...in public, anyways.
What? And she didn't purify us?
Guess you lack my pure animal magnetism
Now I feel sick…
 
Miroku and Sango looked up at the hanyou's growl, then continued working their way around the area, the monk intoning prayers for the dead over the few human remains. Sango winced over how many must be in Goshinki's stomach, leaving no trace. Telling his snickering youkai to drop it, Inuyasha watched them, and tried to remember accomplishing all this destruction, finally giving up the effort and growling heatedly.
 
Kagome left provisioning the children to Shippo; the kit cheerfully set about packing two travelling bundles for them. She watched Miroku and Sango making their stilted way through the devastation and knew from the monk's eloquently moving hands that he was doing his bit for the departed to find peace. Then she noticed Inuyasha. In the pearly light of early dawn, silver hair gleaming, he knelt, holding the shattered blade of his sword in both hands. She made her way over to him and crouched beside him, resting her hand lightly on his bare shoulder. Claws came up to cover hers; when he turned his head, she pressed a light kiss onto the now-stripeless cheek.
 
When he twisted and pulled her into his embrace, she didn't resist. She swore she heard whimpering, thought it was Inuyasha, then realized it was Tetsusaiga. On impulse, she caught the hanyou's wrist in her fingers, and pulled the broken sword up to press a kiss to the metal, which thrummed softly before going silent. Inuyasha watched this exchange without comment, his breath stirring her bangs.
 
“Inuyasha, do you know why your demon side came out this time? I mean, you've been seriously injured before, and he's never…” Her words trailed off as his arms tightened, and she watched his hair swish as he shook his head.
 
“I…I was so sure that when Tetsusaiga shattered, that was it…but I didn't want to die…then my blood felt like it was boiling. I-I'm not really sure after that, except…K-Kagome…I know I enjoyed ripping that ogre apart. I've never felt that way before, when we've fought demons…the pleasure of killing…” He shuddered, unable to finish.
 
“Shhh, Inuyasha…” Kagome burrowed against him, holding him tightly as he clung to her like a drowning man. “It was still you…your youkai knows me, and promised to protect me. He told Goshinki off just like you would…”
 
“But I don't remember, Kagome…what if he…”
 
“He's part of you, Inuyasha. I've told you before, I love all of you, whether human, hanyou or demon. You wouldn't hurt me, in any form.” She wondered at the tiny smile that quirked the corner of Inuyasha's mouth, and then he bent his head to whisper in her ear.
 
“He agrees with you about Kikyo.”
 
“My kinda demon…”
 
Any further tentative reconciliation was interrupted by the abrupt and dusty arrival of a three-eyed, spindly-legged bull with a vaguely surprised look on its bovine countenance. Kagome frowned. “Isn't that…?”
 
“Kagome-sama! Inuyasha-sama! Thank goodness I've found you!” A tiny speck bounced off the bull's forehead and attached itself to Inuyasha's cheek, getting in a quick bite before the inevitable flattening. Miroku and Sango teetered up in time to watch the growling hanyou squish something on his face and catch it in his palm. Kagome leaned over to poke at it with her fingertip.
 
“Oh, look…hello, Myoga-san. It must be safer than we thought, if you're here.”
 
“Kagome-sama, you wound me…”
 
“Keh! Took off with Totosai, didn't you? Little freeloader…”
 
“His forge is always warm in the winter, and I'm not getting any younger, you know…”
 
Miroku grinned with sudden humour. “Kagome-sama! Why don't you try your technique on Myoga so he won't run away anymore?” The girl looked at him, her brow furrowed, then giggled when she realized he meant what she'd done to Arashi and Juhi to stop them from bolting at the slightest bit of youkai. Myoga appeared a little worried at what the `technique' might entail, but then made `shooing' motions with several of his hands.
 
“Ah, er…maybe later…now, don't stand around here jabbering! Collect up all the pieces of the Tetsusaiga!”
 
Kagome clapped her hands. “Can Totosai-san fix it?”
 
“Of course he can…hurry, because it isn't safe to linger!”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
The sun had nearly completed its circuit, hanging low in the heavens over the ravaged village, and the carrion birds had fallen to squabbling over the less-choice bits when a small, dark-haired figure dressed in an apricot-patterned kimono and an even smaller green figure distinguished by the amount of spluttering it was emitting arrived on the edge of the battlefield and beheld the pile of ogre, rotting gently in the dusk.
 
The young girl gasped and pointed. “Look, Jaken-sama…just as Sesshomaru-sama said! A dead ogre!”
 
The toad demon made a noise of annoyance. “Our great Sesshomaru-sama is never mistaken, Rin. If he says something is so, then that is the way it is.” He waddled forward and prodded the nearest piece of flesh with the end of his staff. “It is very thoroughly dead…I wonder what killed it?”
 
“Inuyasha.” The deep voice from behind made the toad jump. How he hated it when his master was able to slip up on him like that
 
“I never imagined that he would be capable of such destruction, my lord.”
 
With a silken swish, Sesshomaru swept around the body, analyzing the very thorough dismemberment of the demonic creature and scenting the air deeply, ignoring the calm, admiring gaze of the young girl, but noticing that she did not flinch from the sight or smell before her. “It was he…but he did not escape injury, nor did the Tetsusaiga.”
 
“The Tetsusaiga, my lord? Did the fool break it?”
 
“It appears that this creature defeated my father's fang.” Sesshomaru fell silent, contemplating this astonishing concept for a few moments while trying to avoid thinking about the implications of the other scent that hung on the breeze in this clearing. Making a decision, he leaned down and pulled the ogre's severed head out of the pile, holding it up while he examined the teeth. He noted that Rin blanched slightly, but otherwise did not react. It was Jaken who took several steps back. He turned the head, its tongue protruding grotesquely, towards the girl. “Do you not fear this, Rin?”
 
The girl shrugged and smiled brightly up at him. “It is already dead, my lord. So long as I am with you, I fear nothing.” Her tone was confident and firm; his lip twitched as he heaved the head over his shoulder and began gliding away. The girl skipped after him, humming a little tune quietly under her breath.
 
“My lord? What do you intend to do with the ogre's head?” Jaken quavered from somewhere in the rear.
 
“Kaijinbo.”
 
“The demon smith? I don't…er, of course, Sessshomaru-sama!” The taiyoukai suppressed the urge to roll his eyes, thought about flattening the toad, and decided to overlook it this time, since considering the underlying meaning to the changed blood-scent he detected in the clearing was far more important. Inuyasha's blood smelled like mine and our father's…a full demon, not a half-breed. And the scent of the miko…she must have used her powers in the battle
 
“Sesshomaru-sama? How will you know where to find Kai-jin-bo?” The sweet young voice behind him stumbled a little over the unfamiliar name.
 
“Impertinent whelp! How dare you question our lord…”
 
This time he did roll his eyes, since they couldn't see his face, but answered patiently. “He stinks of human blood and brimstone, Rin. You must remain outside with Ah-Un when we reach the smithy, as the vapours are deadly to humans.”
 
“Hai, Sesshomaru-sama,” she chirped, and scampered off to collect the reins of the tenbaryu. Its twin heads lifted out of the grass and took turns bunting her as she giggled happily, rubbing their ears and scratching their forelocks, before clambering up into the saddle. The beast fell into place behind its master and the toad, and the unlikely cortege was swallowed by the shadows of the forest.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
A fair distance away, at the same time
 
“Unfortunately, only Inuyasha-sama can continue beyond this point, as the volcanic fumes surrounding Totosai's forge are dangerous to humans.”
 
Kagome smiled at the flea demon. “We'll camp here then, since there's a stream nearby, and wait. How long do you think it will take?”
 
“I do not know, Kagome-sama…that is for Totosai to say. Come, Inuyasha-sama…Momo will take you to the forge.” The flea demon gestured expansively from his perch on Kagome's shoulder; the hanyou growled and sulkily climbed onto the bull's broad back. He looked everywhere but at Kagome; the girl had scooped Shippo and ridden on the bull all this way, chattering with Myoga…while he ended up riding Arashi, alone. All he wanted to do was hold her close and breathe her scent; he still felt very unsettled over what had happened against Goshinki. However, while she had accepted his touch on the battlefield…even his youkai's touch…it appeared that she was upholding her resolution to keep some distance because of Kikyo.
 
She still doesn't trust you to put her first.
I figured that out, idiot.
So when ya gonna smarten up, and prove it?
Get off my ass…
 
Kagome grinned cheerfully at him. “Be nice to Totosai-san, Inuyasha. You know he's going to blow a gasket because the Tetsusaiga is damaged, so please don't deck him.”
 
“Keh! Whatever…” He scowled at her; the smile died on her lips, and he instantly regretted it. However, even as he contemplated jumping down, grabbing her and kissing her breathless, the demonic beast snorted, then lurched upward into the sky and carried him away over the trees.
 
“Kagome-sama, I need to talk to you about Inuyasha-sama's blood-scent.”
 
She looked down at the flea demon. “You mean, why he probably tastes like a full demon? Is that why you went straight for a slurp?”
 
Myoga jumped, and waved all his arms. “I had to test it, to make sure of what I smelled…did Inuyasha-sama transform?”
 
Kagome walked over to where Sango was slowly constructing a fire-pit; Miroku and Shippo were erecting the tents. She sat down and began helping Sango before she answered. “Yes, he did transform, Myoga-san. After the Tetsusaiga shattered, he was injured badly by Goshinki…and then when I was threatened, he…found some inner strength and disassembled the ogre. I've never seen power like that before…”
 
“How did he react towards you?”
 
She chewed her lip. “He protected me like always…and then wanted to mate with me in the middle of the guts, so I `sat' him. When the spell wore off, he was back to normal.”
 
The flea demon was very quiet for a while; Shippo came up with some wood, and soon a fire was crackling merrily, and the kettle boiling. Miroku fussed over Sango a bit, making sure she was comfortable; the slayer only looked at him with dark eyes, while Kirara narrowed hers. Kagome started putting together a meal with the kitsune's help. Once the tea was poured, Myoga taking a drip in his tiny cup, the old flea began to speak.
 
“The Tetsusaiga was hidden within Inuyasha-sama's eye to permanently seal his blood. When the sword was taken from his father's tomb, I was afraid that this would happen. Inuyasha-sama's demon blood is exceptionally strong because his father was a taiyoukai; his human blood is not strong enough to counter it. Now that Inuyasha-sama has tasted the power of his heritage, I fear that he will come to rely upon it more and more to win his battles…and every time he transforms, he will lose a bit more of his human soul, until he becomes a savage beast that lives only for killing.”
 
To say that the group was shocked would be an understatement. The only sounds for quite a while were the crackling of the fire and the sound of the stream in the background. Miroku was the first to speak. “This would not be a favourable outcome, to say the least…what can we do?”
 
“Inuyasha-sama must keep the Tetsusaiga with him at all times; its presence keeps the demon under control. He must not be permitted to throw the sword aside and fight with his claws.”
 
“Well, there's a simple enough solution…we just tell him the facts, and go from there…”
 
Myoga choked on his tea and began waving all his arms around frantically. They waited until he composed himself. “Inuyasha-sama must not be told of this! I know that he choose to use the demon blood to fight, without thought of the consequences! You know how rash he is…”
 
Kagome flicked the flea demon off her shoulder and stood up; Shippo dove to catch him. The flea quivered, and looked for a place to hide when the girl fixed him with a silver-rimmed glare. “That has to be the stupidest reason I've ever heard for not passing on what could literally be life-or-death information! Inuyasha wasn't thrilled with the fact that he transformed…he was more concerned about what his demon side might have done.” She lowered her voice, but her expression was just as fierce. “Just think of the boner that Naraku would get, if he could engineer a situation where Inuyasha lost the Tetsusaiga, transformed and killed us…and then when he transformed back, showed him what he'd done?”
 
Shippo elbowed Miroku. “What's a `boner'?” The monk shrugged, not taking his eyes off Kagome, who was now pacing.
 
“He has to be told; that way he knows the consequences of dumping Tetsusaiga in battle. If he still chooses to take the risk…well, at least we're prepared.”
 
“Kagome-sama…Inuyasha-sama will lose his human soul and he will not even recognize you. After seeing what happened to Goshinki, do you think you really have a chance to contain him?”
 
The girl smiled grimly and patted the sword at her hip. “If the rosary doesn't work, my blade is hard-wired to protect me from him. I won't leave him, Myoga-san. We'll work together to overcome this.”
 
The flea stiffened, and then raised his teacup in salute. “You are a true bitch, Kagome-sama…and I meant that only in the most flattering way possible!” he amended hastily, seeing the girl advance on him with a glint in her eyes that promised a painful squishing.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Inside the grubby reception chambersof a certain cantankerous demonic swordsmith
 
“Would ya quit your wailing and just fix the damn thing? Geez…”
 
“Show some respect for your injured blade, Inuyasha! My masterpiece, my beautiful Tetsusaiga…”
 
“Keh! Kagome told me not to belt you, but if you keep this up…”
 
Totosai blew out his sunken cheeks and glared at the sullen hanyou. “How did you break it?”
 
“Defending my pack…er, friends, from an incarnation of Naraku called Goshinki. He bit the Tetsusaiga right in half!””
 
“Hmmm….”
 
“You can't fix it, can you?” Inuyasha demanded hotly.
 
“Of course I can, whelp…how dare you doubt me!”
 
The hanyou subsided, muttering darkly, and the smith examined the broken blade, mumbling and occasionally scratching, until he fixed Inuyasha with a beady eye. “Open your mouth, whelp.”
 
“What for?”
 
“A repair matrix…hmm, guess this'll have to do…” In a swift, sharp, precise movement, he used the Tetsusaiga's hilt to knock one of Inuyasha's fangs out of his jaw.
 
Yowch! You nasty old turd! Why, I ought to…” The hanyou gripped his throbbing chin, glaring full-sized swords at the imperturbable sword-maker.
 
“It isn't top quality, but it will have to do…now make yourself scarce, whelp; I have to concentrate. I will return Tetsusaiga to you three days and three nights from now. Give my regards to your lady.”
 
“Keh! She'll be happier to see the stupid bull than me.”
 
“Woman troubles, eh? She's a spitfire like your mother was, I'll bet.”
 
My mother? A spitfire?”
 
Totosai chuckled. “You didn't get all your piss and vinegar from your dad, you know. Your lady mother might have been a princess, but she was more than capable of holding her own against the Inutaisho!”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
On the outskirstof a noxious swamp
 
“Rin, you will wait here.”
 
“Hai, Sesshomaru-sama. Please hurry back.” The demon lord didn't acknowledge the girl's farewell, just stalked away. He heard Jaken giving the girl a few last-minute, completely unnecessary orders, to which she replied in kind, and found himself smirking. He had brought Rin with him on this patrol to give Momiji and the fortress personnel a break from her bright, inquisitive personality…and because her presence provided a great deal of entertainment. Jaken squawked and spluttered and ranted; Rin ran circles around the toad, yet always knew when to defer. Her sparkling gaze, so full of trust and acceptance, touched something in his soul, and he admitted, deep in his heart, to having a sneaking liking for her light, sunny human scent…so much so, that he went so far as to allowing the girl to curl up next to him when they stopped to rest, her small body snuggled deeply into his pelt.
 
Jaken, of course, had been predictably horrified with the liberties the girl took with his august personage, but what was the point of being the Lord of the Western Lands if he couldn't do as he pleased?
 
The nauseating stench of decay brought him back to the matter at hand, and he watched his step on the narrow, slimy causeway crossing the swamp to the smithy of the demon Kaijinbo. He knew, without a shadow of a doubt, that the evil little creature would take on the commission, since the Tetsusaiga was involved.
 
Jaken scuttled ahead of him and used the Staff of Two Heads to push the door matting aside. Sesshomaru was still forced to incline his head to avoid the filthy item, and found, once inside, that he had to be careful where he stood, so as not to hit his head on the beams of the low roof.
 
It's hard to look the part of the most powerful demon lord in Japan with dust and cobwebs hanging off your bangs. Sesshomaru did his level best, stifling a sneeze.
 
The unsavoury occupant of the battered hut glared up at him, not bothering to rise from where he lounged on a grubby tatami mat that should have been thrown out a few centuries ago, a flat bowl of something brownish and thick-looking in his claws. Stumpy horns protruded from his head, and he was adorned with a necklace of small, human-infant-sized skulls. The youkai's lips curled in a sneer. “Who the fuck are you, and what the hell do you want?”
 
Sesshomaru forestalled Jaken's inevitable response by stepping on him, and dropped the ogre's head with a squelching thud. “I am Sesshomaru…and I have a commission for Kaijinbo.”
 
“Uh-huh…why should I take you on as a client?” The youkai grunted, sipping from his bowl.
 
“The teeth of this creature destroyed the Tetsusaiga, the master blade forged by your former master, Totosai.”
 
Kaijinbo sat straight up, his drink forgotten, and ran his claws over the ogre's head, examining the teeth. He made a noise of disgust and turned back to reclaim his bowl. “I cannot forge anything from dead material…”
 
In a smooth movement, Sesshomaru drew Tenseiga, his yellow eyes narrowed, watching for the signs of the imps of the underworld crawling over the ogre's flesh. In a swift strike, he slashed the blade through them and sheathed it. Jaken, from his position under the taiyoukai's boot, watched as the head seemed to glow for a moment, the jaws moving and eyes blinking.
 
Kaijinbo's attitude changed immediately. He fell on his knees, his caresses almost obscenely greedy. “What a blade I could forge!” His small, evil eyes flicked up to Sesshomaru, and his tone instantly changed from blissful to hard. “Return in three days and three nights…'twil be ready by then. My fee is paid in human flesh and blood; for a sword like this, I will require a young female…alive, preferably. Bring the payment with you when you return.”
 
Jaken's bulbous eyes became even wider. Was this the reason Sesshomaru-sama brought Rin along on this patrol? No, he reasoned with himself. Sesshomaru-sama did not know we would find this ogre when we left the fortress…would he…could he give Rin to this…beast? Even for a sword? As much as the little wretch annoyed him, he couldn't comprehend turning her over to a horrible fate, when his lord had risked so much for the girl already, including the vocal derision of his nobility. Jaken looked up at Sesshomaru, but could discern nothing in his expression before the pressure on his ribs eased, and the taiyoukai swept out the door, heedless of the dirty matting scraping over his robes and hair.
 
The toad demon scrambled to his feet, brushed off his robes and shook the Staff of Two Heads at Kaijinbo. “In three days and three nights…or your life is forfeit, smith!”
 
The youkai didn't even look up from where he was preparing his tools. “Away with you, toad. Find your lord's payment, or there will be no sword.”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
A/N: If you've been following this fic, you already know darn well that Rin won't be part of any blood-price for Tokijin…but I'm going to have fun (briefly) messing with Sesshomaru's head over it!