InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Phoenix Blade: Time Lapse ❯ The Halfling Fang ( Chapter 40 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: Don't own…don't sue. Twisting them purely for my own entertainment.
 
A/N: I swear, Sess is a pain in the butt to write…
 
The Phoenix Blade: Time Lapse
Chapter 40: The Halfling Fang
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
Sengoku Jidai
 
“Damn old fool…could he possibly get any slower?” Inuyasha grumbled as he flopped untidily next to the fire. Dark violet eyes glowered from under black bangs and an impressive pout graced his lips as he shoved his hands in his sleeves. Sango stared at him, fascinated at the physical changes the hanyou manifested. Never having seen Inuyasha on his night of weakness before, she had been amazed when she watched the transformation overtake him at dusk.
 
Kagome and Shippo sloshed up, carrying collapsible buckets of water and all the canteens slung around them. The girl noted Sango's interest in her hanyou; Inuyasha was too sulky to pay attention, otherwise the slayer would have been the recipient of some mightily sarcastic comments for her gawking. “Hey, Sango…how did you miss seeing Inuyasha in all his human glory over the winter?”
 
“He'd disappear just before dusk…”
 
“S'matter, Inuyasha? Afraid that you were going to give Miroku some competition with your dark good looks?” The hanyou snarled; the girls giggled. A decidedly impish sparkle lit Miroku's eye, and he decided to take his life in his hands just for the sheer fun of it, not to mention hearing Sango laugh again. He strode over behind Inuyasha and struck a pose.
 
“Now, my friends, for your edification and entertainment, I wish to point out the differences in appearance between a human and an inu-youkai hanyou. Firstly, you will notice a distinct lack of appealing dog-like ears and the substitution of human ears in their correct location.” He tugged the tips of Inuyasha's ears, earning a rather loud curse and an impatient swat. “Secondly, eye colour; dog-like golden is now a more attractive shade of violet…much like a certain rakishly handsome monk of our acquaintance.” To a chorus of snorts from the audience and `subject', he then very daringly reached both hands around the hanyou's head and pulled up his top lip. “And finally…no `canines' …hey!” He barely dodged out of the way of a punch, but took the opportunity to `cower' behind Sango and admire her curves without Kirara giving him the evil eye. “Oh, and I nearly forgot…no claws either.”
 
“Rub it in, houshi…you're forgetting the most important feature of the night of the new moon.”
 
“And that might be…?”
 
“No magic powers to protect any of your sorry asses!”
 
“That's what we're here for, Inuyasha…we're your protection tonight.” Kagome reached forward to pull the bubbling kettle off the fire.
 
“Just what I fucking need…three weak humans and a fox kit…keh!” He jumped to his feet and stalked off. Kirara hissed at his retreating back. Sango and Miroku looked at each other; Kagome calmly ignored the outburst and handed out mugs.
 
“Guess you don't count, Kirara; sorry about that. Don't mind the grouch too much…this is the first time we've been so exposed on this night in months, so I think he's a little jumpy. Of course, he'd never admit that…”
 
“He may not have fangs, but his bite is still impressive!” Sango grinned. Today had been the first day she could even contemplate swinging Hiraikotsu, so her mood was far bubblier than it had been for days previous.
 
Kagome poured two cups of tea and stood up. “Ship-dip, stay here. I'm going to see where Inuyasha flounced off to and then do a perimeter check.”
 
“Kagome, you're not going to `sit' him, are you?” The kit sounded worried. She smiled.
 
“The rosary doesn't work on the night of the new moon. Why would you think I'd do that?”
 
“'Cause he's being such a jerk?”
 
“Like I'm going to punish him for being himself… back in a bit.” She checked all her weapons before taking up the two mugs and disappearing in the same direction as the hanyou.
 
On the backside of the hill, Inuyasha stared up into the starry blackness. A brisk wind tossed the treetops and ruffled the long grass of the hillside.
 
Can't hear, can't see, can't smell…
Sucks to be us right now.
I feel so damn naked…
We were spoiled over the winter…nice warm bed…nice warm bitch….
Yeah…don't remind me.
 
He ran his tongue over his fangless teeth, examined his blunted fingernails, and tried not to think about what he and Kagome had been doing to each other exactly a month ago tonight.
 
The lack of pleasurable horizontal activity since was just too depressing.
 
He had also been able to forget the tightness in his gut, the apprehension… his darkest fear that he wouldn't be able to defend Kagome if they were attacked. The hanyou spotted some movement in the darkness against the trees and squinted carefully until the creature resolved itself into the object of his consideration, balancing two mugs as she picked her way up the hill. Reaching his side, she smiled brightly and handed him one of the brimming cups. “Beautiful night…brought you some tea.” Kagome pulled her katana out of her obi, laid it on the ground while seating herself beside him, then sipped from her cup. He took a long swallow and a brief risk by shifting closer and sliding his arm around her waist. For a moment, he was truly afraid that she'd pull away, but she seemed to sigh a bit before remaining where she was.
 
“Remember what we were doing a month ago, right now?”
 
“Most definitely.” She cast him an affectionate, though not encouraging, glance.
 
“It was the happiest night of my life…to finally claim the woman I'd wanted for so long…and now…”
 
She stiffened at the hollow tone in his voice. “Should we be having this conversation…?”
 
He put down his mug, took hers away, and pulled her into his lap. Kagome didn't bother to struggle; hanyou or human, he was too strong to fight, so she just held still to see what was coming next. “This is the first time in the past three days that you've let me touch you. You smile at me, but it doesn't reach your eyes…how much longer am I going to be punished?”
 
The silver flecks in Kagome's eyes glinted in the darkness. “Until I know you won't hesitate if Kikyo's involved…right now, I wonder every minute of every day when I'll find myself pinned to the hell-gates with an arrow in my back.” She kept her voice very soft. “You can choose to view it as punishment if you want…I'm looking at it as self-preservation.” He closed his eyes and bowed his head; she watched him for a moment, touched by his misery. “It breaks my heart, Inuyasha…but what else am I supposed to do?”
 
Trust me when I say that I'll protect you.” His violet eyes were nearly black in the starlight. “Trust me…I've promised you as a human, a hanyou and a demon…” He paused, trying to gather his thoughts, but they skittered just out of reach; his youkai was sneering at him. “You were right to be angry after we saw Kikyo, before Goshinki…my brain did turn to mush.” Inuyasha shook his head a bit, and tightened his grip on her. “I'm sor…” A fingertip laid over his lips silenced him; Kagome slowly shook her head.
 
“No more apologies…just change the behaviour. That's what I need from you.” The silver in her eyes sparked briefly, and she twisted out of his lap to kneel in front of him, her gaze very intent. “There's something else I have to tell you.”
 
A million unpleasant possibilities chased through his mind at her abrupt departure from his embrace and her serious expression. “Myoga-san thinks I shouldn't tell you this, but I believe it's important for you to be able to make the choice…”
 
You are my choice.”
 
Kagome blinked and then shook her head. “This isn't about Kikyo or me, Inuyasha. This is about your demon blood.” Rapidly, she outlined the flea's concern over his potential descent into madness and butchery if he dropped the Tetsusaiga while in battle. They sat very quietly together in the chill darkness, while Inuyasha absorbed the information.
 
“I already don't remember what happened after Tetsusaiga broke…gods, Kagome…waking up with blood on my claws and no memory of how it got there is one of my worst nightmares…damn Sesshomaru for wanting the sword in the first place!”
 
She patted his arm soothingly. “And if Tetsusaiga was still inside your eye, you would never have been able to use it to repeatedly defeat your brother. What's done is done…now we have to move forward.”
 
“Keh! That advice could be applied to other areas…” he muttered; Kagome nodded, but made no move to throw herself into his arms to begin the kissing-and-making-up part, which is what he was really hoping for.
 
After studying his face for a few moments, she softly said, “I never told you what you looked like when your demon side took control.” He only looked at her, wide-eyed, but then nodded that she should continue. She raised her hand and stroked his cheekbones. “A single dark blue ragged-edge stripe on each cheek.” Her fingertips traced up over his brows. “Scarlet-red eyes with brilliant blue pupils…but no irises.” The fingertip brushed down his nose, over his lip and lingered on the corner of his mouth. “Pretty impressive fangs.” He caught her finger in his teeth and nibbled on it, smirking crookedly at her. Kagome smiled back and pulled away, ignoring his pout, but took his hand into her lap. “Extremely long claws…longer than even your brother's, I think.”
 
“Did I…scare you?” Inuyasha squirmed at bit, afraid of her answer.
 
“No…yes…well, a little bit…your youkai is very powerful. However, you were very gentle about cleaning up my hand.”
 
“Your hand?”
 
She gave him a quick smile, and turned the appendage in question over to show the healed skin. “Just some road rash, courtesy of Goshinki. Your fully-demonic saliva is a wonder drug, by the way.”
 
“Humph.” He tossed his hair over his shoulder and looked away, trying to ignore his youkai's strutting at the praise.
 
“Is this what you expected when you wanted to become a full demon?”
 
He blinked, and considered the question carefully before answering. “No…I guess I thought I'd be like Sesshomaru…hopefully not the arrogant-bastard part, but the clear-headed, all-powerful part. When you're a hanyou, you get used to everybody trying to take you down.”
 
She lightly stroked his hand. “You're a much better person than your brother; the Tetsusaiga is just a bonus that makes you more powerful.” He blushed, and laced his fingers with hers. Kagome chewed her lip, and began talking about contingency plans for the next time he transformed. Inuyasha used his free hand to tuck a few loose strands of hair behind her ear. He was so caught up in considering the potential bodily harm that could result from kissing her that he missed the first half of what she was talking about. “…The `s' command seems to work to bring you back; I'm reluctant to use the sword on you, to be frank. I guess, in the worst case scenario, I could try purifying your demon half…”
 
“Whoa! I don't think that would be a good idea…”
 
“At the hot spring, you didn't seem to mind the feel of my power touching you…” She stopped at the rather predatory smirk creeping across his face and started to pull away, which caused the grin to instantly change into an expression of infinite sadness. Reacting swiftly, she lunged forward and grabbed a handful of black hair just before he tried to spring to his feet to walk away. Inuyasha froze as her hand came up to his face, then swallowed as her fingertips stroked his skin. Her eyes were darkest grey, not a trace of silver, and a tiny bit of hope flickered in his chest…
 
“This is really tearing you up inside, isn't it?” Kagome murmured, not letting go of either his hair or his heart. He nodded, licking his lips and trying not to focus solely on her very kissable mouth, instead seeing the soft expression on her face as her calloused fingers smoothed over his skin, unconsciously tracing the lines of the vanished cheek-stripe. “It's bad enough that your soul is divided between youkai and human, but …”
 
He caught her around the waist and pulled her on top of him as he flopped backwards in the grass, his hair flaring into a dark halo. A couple of arrows slithered halfway out of her quiver and the fletching lightly scraped his skin on their way to the ground beside his neck. Kagome pushed herself slightly off his chest and the arrows fell the rest of the way out, tipping over until the sharp tip came to rest dangerously close to his face. The girl worked her hand free to shove them back where they belonged, but made no move to ditch the whole quiver, which would have made it easier to roll her underneath him. Instead, she propped her chin on her fist, and gazed at him, a small smile quirking her lips. Her braid snaked over her shoulder; he caught it between his fingers, rubbing his thumb over the woven length.
 
“My conscience is where the trouble starts, Kagome…my heart and soul are all yours, no matter what form I'm in.”
 
Her eyes darkened. “I know that, koibito…but I have a feeling that your conscience might be the death of me.”
 
“Never, koishii. I intend to…”
 
“The road to the fifth hell is paved with good intentions, Inuyasha. Show me that this responsibility that you feel towards Kikyo doesn't mean I'm in more danger from Naraku than I already am…and I'll meet you halfway.”
 
He perked up. “How about a kiss to seal the deal?”
 
Kagome shook her head slowly. “Kissing doesn't move this forward…show me you mean it.” She rested her head against his chest, sending a couple more arrows skating over his shoulder. Her bangs tickled his nose and her voice was soft. “I love you so much, Inuyasha…but you're making me completely crazy over this issue. You have to do something about it!”
 
His heart leaped at the fierce, loving tone and he tightened his arms before rolling them on their sides and kissing her forehead and eyelids. She was slightly reluctant, so he didn't push, happy that she had allowed this contact. Inuyasha cupped her face in his hands. “I love you, wench…only you. I need you, like air and water…”
 
“…and ramen…”
 
He stuttered, scanned her face, took in the mischief sparkling in her eyes, and knew that, so long as he didn't screw up again, forgiveness had begun. Kissing the tip of her nose, he grinned affectionately back at his infuriating, beautiful, challenging, loyal…
 
luscious, desirable
Fuck! Quit interrupting my train of thought!
It isn't that hard to do, actually…and isn't a `fuck' what we have in mind?
Geez…I give her a little squeeze and you're slavering.
Feh…and you're not? Give it a break…we both want the same thing…
I want to make love to her, not rut her!
::sighs:: There's that mushy human again…chances of either type of contact are looking pretty slim.
I can't screw up, or we can kiss any action goodbye.
We could always try my `animal magnetism' again. She seemed to like that
It didn't exactly get us into her pants, now did it?
Don't remind me…being `sat' while that hard was very unpleasant.
::shudders:: Glad I don't remember…
 
Inuyasha shook his head to clear it, then sat them both up. “Since we're not going to do the kissing and making out, we might as well go back to the others…although if that damn houshi touches me again, I will bite him.” Chuckling, she retrieved her sword and the wayward arrows while he dumped the now ice-cold tea out of the mugs and held out his hand to her. She took it, squeezed lightly and let go again.
 
“I have to do a perimeter check…”
 
“You need an escort. Don't want you wandering off and getting lost…” He held out his hand again; she took it, and they wandered companionably down the hill…until Kagome let out a yelp and pushed him behind her, her blade in her hand as she rapidly scanned the forest. “What is it?”
 
“A nasty evil demonic aura…biggest one I've ever sensed! We need backup, and fast!”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Sesshomaru shifted slightly where he sat propped up against a tree and contemplated a number of things, most of them not very pleasant and all of them centred on the young human currently snuggled in his pelt. She made soft noises in her sleep; his claws tenderly stroked through her dark hair, soothing her back into a deeper slumber.
 
If anyone had witnessed this sign of weakness, he would have not bothered to deny it; rather, they'd be dead before they could repeat the tale, Jaken included. Sesshomaru watched the starlight illuminate her innocent face and caught himself sighing, which instantly turned into a low growl. He untangled his claws from her hair and eyed them thoughtfully. The price for the sword is the life of a young human female… He had the wages right here, trustingly curled against his hakama, and all it would take was one swift slice…
 
Is the life of this child… worth more than a sword… a sword that may be the means to finally grasp Tetsusaiga?
 
Her brilliant smile, her lilting voice would be forever stilled. He would never catch her scent again, only as a memory… His claws hovered over her pale throat, above the throbbing pulse. Lightly, very lightly, he touched the razor-sharp tips to her tender skin. Kaijinbo wanted her alive…I could not do that…to Rin…it would be better this way, and she would have served a useful purpose
 
Her purpose is to lighten your soul. Do not forsake her trust in you, or you will be truly damned
 
Startled, Sesshomaru pulled back his hand and glanced around, going instantly on alert as he sought the source of the voice.
 
She is the pure crucible that will temper your ambitions into your greatest strength.
 
As an errant breeze stirred his hair and robes, the demon lord became aware of Tenseiga thrumming gently at his side, and suddenly knew the source of the voice inside his head. Growling, he tried to push it away, but the words would not go, burning into his brain. I will not be denied…I must have the sword.
 
As he reached for the life he had gifted her, Rin stirred, and he was equally saved and lost.
 
Eyelashes fluttered and then great dark eyes, as trusting and deep as the day he revived her, were fixed on his as the growl died in his throat. For a searing instant, he saw himself purified through the isinglass of her innocence, and understood that this child…this human… had changed him so fundamentally that he could not go back to that empty place where he had dwelled for so long.
 
It didn't mean that he had to like the fact that he now officially had both a weakness and a dependent. The taiyoukai growled irritably and pinched the bridge of his nose.
 
“Are you all right, Sesshomaru-sama?” Rin sat up, rubbing her eyes, and smiled that bright, soft smile that was like sunshine.
 
He forced out a calm reply. “This Sesshomaru is…well.”
 
“Good. I do not like Sesshomaru-sama to be unhappy.” She stretched a bit and looked for the moon; finding none, she frowned. “This night is taking so long…where is Jaken-sama, my lord?”
 
He folded his arm across his lap, regarding the heavens. “He is on an errand…”
 
“Oh, look, Sesshomaru-sama! A shooting star! Make a wish!” Her intense concentration as she closed her eyes and screwed up her face nearly made him smile; when she looked at him, practically glowing with happiness, he felt a lurch inside his chest, and silently cursed the sword when it gave a tiny, triumphant pulse.
 
“What did you wish for, Rin?” He asked gently.
 
Her happy laughter was clear and sweet. “To stay with Sesshomaru-sama forever and ever, of course!”
 
“Forever is a long time, little one.”
 
“I know! But it is what I truly wish for.” Rin's smile brightened the darkness and he allowed himself a small smile in return before turning his mind to meeting Kaijinbo's price some other way. A small, warm weight settled against his side, and soon he was engaged in pointing out the constellations to her, naming them and telling the tales related to them, as his tutors had done for him. Rin was quick, her questions intelligent, and he mused that perhaps it was time to commence her lessons back at the fortress. A member of the House of the Western Lands must have an education…what the devil is taking the toad? If I have to spend part of the night hunting down alternate payment… Rin scrambled off his pelt as he stood up.
 
“Wait here with Ah-Un. Jaken is gone too long.”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
The taiyoukai took in the story with a glance and a sniff. His retainer's bisected form limp on the floor, the forge cold…and a tremendous dark aura lingering inside the hut. Casually, he drew Tenseiga, and slashed it through the toad demon's body, scattering the messengers of the underworld as they clutched at the two pieces of flesh. As he sheathed the blade, he tried to ignore the surge of relief spinning around his mind, that he did not have to find another payment for Kaijinbo. He preferred not to examine the reasons for his mental exhalation too closely.
 
Jaken groaned, feeling curiously detached from his wounded body; blinking, he blearily focussed on a familiar black boot, and then tracked up the white silk-clad leg, past the armour, up to the familiar, impassive face. “Pull yourself together, Jaken.”
 
“Hai, Sesshomaru-sama…oh, my…” Jaken noticed his lower half lying a foot or so away, and obediently dragged himself over to it. A very odd sensation resulted from his body knitting itself back together, and he couldn't repress a shudder.
 
“I take it the blade was successfully forged?”
 
“V-very much so, my lord. However, Kaijinbo had an odd aspect…it was as if the sword was dictating his actions.”
 
“Hm. You will protect Rin. I hunt alone.”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Inuyasha and Kagome tumbled back into the circle of firelight, startling the cards out of Shippo's and Miroku's hands. Sango was instantly on her feet, Kirara jumping off her lap and hissing into her transformation. “What's wrong?”
 
“Level Three battle stations…”
 
Kagome scooped Shippo and dumped him on Kirara's back. “Be ready to move on an instant's notice…we may have to exit, stage left, at top speed.”
 
Shippo tugged her braid where it had swung over her shoulder. “What's a One and a Two?”
 
She grinned at him and ruffled his bangs. “Sesshomaru's a Two and Naraku's a One.”
 
“I doubt Sesshomaru-sama would be pleased at being ranked second. Shippo-kun, we will resume when we have dealt with this…and don't you even think about tampering with my cards!”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
After they had moved away from their campsite, up onto a grassy meadow above the hillside that Kagome and Inuyasha recently vacated, the hanyou found himself behind his girl, a very unaccustomed position for someone used to being at the front when they faced danger. Sango and Miroku held that position, the monk's restless movements making his staff jingle softly, while the slayer checked the handholds on Hiraikotsu, making last minute adjustments to the tension. They didn't have long to wait before the dark aura took on a definite form.
 
A very small, scruffy, gibberish-muttering demon waddled toward them, cradling a massive sword that was easily twice his height. Kagome recoiled slightly when she realized that he wore a necklace of very small human skulls…and that his blank eyes glowed with some intense inner fire. Inuyasha's steadying hand on her shoulder was calming; she reached up to rest her fingers on his, keeping her other hand on her hilt.
 
“And who might you be, my good demon?” Miroku kept his tone light and inoffensive; those that knew him watched his knuckles whiten on his staff. Sango tensed, ready to move at the slightest sign.
 
The creature chuckled, a rasping sound. “I am Kaijinbo…a master swordsmith.”
 
“Yes, I see…” Miroku's eyebrow arched as he took in the impressive weapon, double-edged and gleaming brightly through the dark aura. “I'm afraid that none of my companions are in the market for a new blade…”
 
More harsh chuckling ensued, the smith smacking his knee with mirth. “This blade is not for sale, houshi. This is my ultimate creation, my forge's magnum opus…Tokijin.”
 
It was Sango's turn to arch her eyebrows. “If you do not wish to sell it, why are you here, Kaijinbo-san?”
 
“My blade must be baptised, and it calls for blood…the blood of Inuyasha!” They clearly heard the sword pulse once, and then the point swung down, to point unerringly at the surprised hanyou. “You are he?” The smith was plainly discomfited. “Merely a human…not a demon. Ah, well, it matters not. Tokijin will taste of your blood.”
 
Miroku subtly moved himself between the tip of the sword and Inuyasha. “Tokijin bears a most impressive aura, Kaijinbo-san…more than any sword I've seen before.”
 
Flattery will get you everywhere, even with a probably-possessed demonic swordsmith. He shamelessly preened, stroking the blade lovingly. “My masterpiece was forged from the fangs of the ogre that destroyed Tetsusaiga. Is it not beautiful?”
 
“The sword will have absorbed Goshinki's demonic aura, and also his hatred of you,” Sango murmured, directing her comments at Inuyasha while not taking her attention away from Kaijinbo.
 
“Keh! If it's made of Goshinki, it's a piece of shit. I'm not hiding, Kaijinbo…hit me with your best shot!”
 
“If you insist…”
 
“Sango-sama! Now!” Miroku and Sango sprang away, the slayer whirling Hiraikotsu up into throwing position and letting fly. Kaijinbo laughed delightedly before swinging the massive blade as easily as if it were a feather…and slicing Hiraikotsu neatly in half. Sango stopped dead, appalled at the sudden and emphatic demise of her weapon. Miroku gritted his teeth, reached inside his robes for a handful of sutras and raced in close before flinging the charged scraps of paper at the demon. One struck home on Kaijinbo's forehead, and Miroku followed it up with a vicious two-handed downward slash of his staff that split the smith's head wide open.
 
“Nice shot, houshi! So you can do more with those hands than grope women…”
 
“Go, Miroku!” Kagome's cheer died away when Tokijin pulsed…and Kaijinbo jumped to his feet and lunged at the monk, who barely dodged out of the way of the thrust. The demon didn't even sway on his feet, despite the fact his exposed brains were bubbling as if being eaten by acid. Kagome shuddered and notched an arrow to her bow.
 
“I can't fucking take this…” Black and red swished past her, jostling her weapon; startled, she put up the arrow and grabbed for his sleeve.
 
“Inuyasha…dammit, you stubborn hanyou…let me protect you!”
 
“I can't just stand here and watch…it's me the fucking sword is after!”
 
Kagome grabbed a fistful of haori and hauled him to eye level. “And if the fucking sword kills you, guess who else goes down?” Before Inuyasha could think of a snappy response to that, they were interrupted by a familiar, squat, spindly-legged bull with three bug eyes landing with a `thump' in between them and Kaijinbo.
 
“Totosai-sama! Just in time…” Sango couldn't disguise the relief in her voice. The bulging eyes of the smith wandered over in her direction; he gave a small wave to acknowledge her greeting. Miroku grabbed Sango's hand and pulled her out of Kaijinbo's zone and around behind the bull. He noted the scruffy old hilt of Tetsusaiga propped up against the smith's grimy shoulder, next to the ever-present mallet, but was forestalled from any comment by Totosai's gaze riveting itself onto Kaijinbo. The possessed smith squatted in the grass, the long blade catching the starlight as he hummed and muttered to himself.
 
“So, Kaijinbo…still making evil swords, I see.”
 
“Aye, Totosai…this be my masterwork, which puts all your feeble efforts to shame.”
 
“Hm.”
 
“Totosai-sama? You…know this demon?” Miroku asked.
 
“Unfortunately. He was my apprentice, but I cut him loose because he would not reform his propensity for evil. In fact, he once slaughtered nearly a dozen children simply to use their blood in the forging of a particularly devilish weapon.” Totosai tossed Tetsusaiga to Inuyasha; the hanyou caught it and weighed it in his hand before shoving it into his obi.
 
Kaijinbo gave a short, humourless bark. “My methods produce results of the highest calibre…and I will demonstrate my superiority. Draw your weapon, Inuyasha…match Totosai's efforts against mine.”
 
The hanyou smirked, and unsheathed Tetsusaiga. The katana thrummed, but of course did not transform as he strode around the bull towards the demon. Kaijinbo's stance instantly changed from relaxed to alert, Tokijin tracking Inuyasha's approach.
 
“Totosai-san? Is the Tetusuaiga stronger than before?” Kagome kept her hand close to her hilt, not taking her eyes off Inuyasha.
 
“A little bit, young lady…enough to do the job.”
 
“Tokijin's demonic aura is impressive, Totosai-sama. It was made from the fangs of an incarnation of Naraku called Goshinki…the very creature that broke the Tetsusaiga.” Miroku kept a steadying hand on Sango's shoulder, as it seemed that the slayer was thinking about bolting out onto the battlefield to retrieve the pieces of her weapon.
 
Inuyasha had paused for a brief moment, hefting his sword, testing its balance. Kaijinbo waited, his strangely blank eyes gleaming, spittle dribbling from the corner of his mouth. Finally sure of his blade, Inuyasha charged in and slashed downward; Kaijinbo blocked it easily, and as the two weapons locked together, Tokijin asserted its power. Fine cuts opened up all over Inuyasha's body, stinging like a poison claw stroke…until he was thrown back several sword lengths, landing heavily. Kaijinbo displayed sudden speed and raced in; the sharp keening noise of metal connecting with metal announced the spurting of more of Inuyasha's blood.
 
Kagome began cursing quietly and violently.
 
Inuyasha managed to find his feet while fending off Tokijin, and pushed away while rapidly retreating. He wiped at the blood streaking his face, panting lightly. Tetsusaiga felt good in his hands, its balance just right and the business edge gleaming sharp. The trickling blood was distracting, but he flicked his eyes up to the eastern horizon and smiled grimly. Only a few more seconds
 
“One more blow, Inuyasha, and your body will be destroyed,” Kaijinbo gloated. Tokijin audibly pulsed; Miroku tensed, and his fingers went to the prayer beads. He'd never engulfed a sword with the Vortex before, especially one with a dark aura like this…
 
“You're too late, Kaijinbo…should've killed me when you had half a chance…” Black rippled into silver and violet into amber. Clawed hands grasped the Tetsusaiga's hilt and all the slashes caused by Tokijin sealed themselves instantly. The Tetsusaiga pulsed powerfully, and transformed. Sango gasped.
 
“It's…bigger! Quite a bit bigger!”
 
Kagome looked at Totosai. The sword was considerably larger. “Totosai-san? How did the Tetsusaiga, er, grow like that?”
 
The smith picked his teeth with a grubby nail. “Probably due to the repair matrix I had to use. It wasn't the best quality, but it was all I had to work with…”
 
The hanyou's furious voice cut the morning air. “Totosai! What the fuck did you do to my Tetsusaiga?”
 
“What are you yapping about, whelp?”
 
“It's too fucking heavy to lift…how'm I supposed to fight with this?”
 
Damn, damned, damnable… “Totosai-san, you're going to get him killed!”
 
“Hanyou's too damn stubborn to die, young lady. Get your sword up, Inuyasha! Don't let Kaijinbo take you out! My honour as a swordsmith rides on that blade!”
 
“Give that idiot a smack for me, Kagome!” Inuyasha, with great effort, hauled the huge blade over his shoulder and wobbled. Kaijinbo laughed.
 
“Your sword is as useless as you are, Inuyasha. Now, feel Tokijin's power…it will destroy both of you in one swing!”
 
“Don't count your hanyous before they're gutted, Kaijinbo…die!” The forward momentum of Inuyasha's charge gave him the leverage to swing Tetsusaiga up and over, meeting Tokijin in a mighty clash. The blades locked for a brief moment, and then Kaijinbo literally fell apart. It was like a small-scale `Wind Scar' that only took him out, instead of the entire immediate vicinity, but he was very thoroughly blown to pieces. The Tokijin thudded into the ground a short distance away, Kaijinbo's severed hand still grasping the hilt. Tetsusaiga transformed back to its smaller form, and a very irate hanyou stormed up to the impassive smith, who continued itching his scalp.
 
“Totosai! What the fuck are you playing at? I can barely swing this thing once…how am I supposed to defend my pack, never mind my mate?”
 
The rest of the group exchanged stunned looks. Pack? Them? Totosai focussed on the last word.
 
“Forgive me for not congratulating you earlier, whelp, but my nose isn't what it used to be. So, young lady, you finally accepted him? You're very brave to take on this fine example of inu-youkai impatience…”
 
Old man…” Kagome quickly stepped up to Inuyasha and caught his balled fist in her hands.
 
“Totosai-san…how can Inuyasha master the new Tetsusaiga? There must be a way…”
 
Miroku had been warily circling the embedded Tokijin, keeping his distance while he considered using the Vortex on it, if Totosai was unable to break it with his mallet. Sango dragged the two halves of her weapon across the grass; she paused to watch Miroku. Her eye was caught by movement up above in the morning sky. “Incoming!” she shouted, giving Miroku just enough time to leap back as a bolt of flame burst around the blade. The monk looked skyward, and then hung his head and groaned.
 
Can the day just get any better? he thought. “Kagome-sama! It's just become a Level Two…”
 
Sesshomaru dismounted from Ah-Un before the tenbaryu touched down, smoke billowing from one muzzle. Totosai dodged behind Inuyasha. Kagome merely sighed and got ready to move.
 
“What the fuck do you want, asshole?” Inuyasha demanded. Sesshomaru's expression became even more remote.
 
“Charming as ever, little brother. I want the sword.” He turned towards the pulsating dark blade…and found his way blocked.
 
It was the miko. He arched his brow, then gave her stance a closer assessment. She didn't completely block his path, as that would be an irrefutable challenge. Instead, she faced him three-quarters on, her vaporous katana tip resting lightly on the ground, her gaze fastened somewhere in the vicinity of his cheek stripe. She tensely waited, her aura crackling audibly and the raw tang of her power filling the air.
 
Taiyoukais do not quail, but they are also not fools. Sesshomaru glided towards her, adjusting his trajectory to give her a slightly wider berth. As he came abreast of her, she spoke. “Did you commission this hell-borne blade?” He flicked a sideways glance at her as he passed, which she took as confirmation, and then he heard the `snick' of her blade being sheathed. Circling Tokijin so that it lay between them, he watched her closely.
 
Totosai's guff voice carried in the stillness. “Sesshomaru…even you may not be immune to the demonic power of that blade! Are you so desperate that you would risk possession?”
 
Sesshomaru sneered, and in a swift movement, yanked the sword from the ground and hefted it. “Feh…what do you take me for, that a mere sword could make itself my master?” The malevolent aura swirling around Tokijin abruptly dissipated, subsumed by the taiyoukai's own considerable demonic power.
 
The watchful girl cocked her head on the side, her gaze suddenly calculating. “I took you for an honourable warrior; I believe I'm disappointed.”
 
“You try my patience.” His voice held a warning note.
 
“I'll be trying more than your patience, Sesshomaru-sama.” Kagome felt the flames of her power straining against her control, but held off full ignition. “Since that morning when you sent us off to Kyoto, we've been on the road for a whole month. For the last two weeks, we've been fighting either Naraku or his incarnations on a near-daily basis, while you've been sitting in a nice warm fortress with your claw up your ass.”
 
Her insinuation struck a nerve. “Your point?” he ground out.
 
“I thought you'd decided to assist us, but I see now that you're merely an opportunistic prick…you probably hoped that Naraku would kill off Inuyasha for you. Don't give us any more orders.” She took a step forward and lowered her voice. “What's really ironic is the fact that you, who pride yourself on your full-blood heritage, would wield a sword made from a half-breed's fang. Actually, I stand corrected…it isn't ironic; it's pathetic.” Spinning on her heel, she stalked away, but stopped dead at his angry hiss.
 
“You forget who I am, bitch. I will not spare your life for this insult.”
 
Kagome heard Inuyasha whistle between his teeth and mutter, “Keh…now the stupid fucker's done it.” Pausing to give the hanyou a cheeky wink, she straightened and turned back to the taiyoukai.
 
Nixieis this a good idea?
Relax…we're not going to fight him. It wouldn't be fair, anyways, since he doesn't have the right kind of armour.
So…what are we doing, then?
Reminding him why he should be one of the good guys.
 
Ignite.
 
Sesshomaru's fury changed to stunned disbelief when an incredible surge of energy wrapped itself around the girl's slender form, the spectral dog's head rising over her, its burning eyes fixed on him. His astonishment grew as she walked steadily towards him, right up to Tokijin's tip and extended slender fingers to gently push the sword aside… then took another step inside his zone.
 
Inuyasha swore, Tetsusaiga flashing into his hand…and then cursed some more as the blade thumped heavily onto the ground.
 
Unwavering silver met incandescent yellow, while Sesshomaru briefly considered dropping the sword and swiping her head from her shoulders. Kagome leaned in, so close that her breath stirred the tassels on his breastplate, so close that her power pushed insolently against his youkai. Her voice was very soft, and very dangerous. “I think that you have forgotten what I am.”
 
She held up two fingers; he watched with horrified fascination as the tips flamed like candles and then she lightly, ever so lightly, touched them to his breastplate…and an electrically-charged firestorm blew wildly over him, consumed him, burned him to ashes, left him gasping…and was gone. Kagome pretended to blow out her fingertips and let her hand drop; he stared at her, breathless at the humbling knowledge that she had held back.
 
This frail-looking human woman held enough destructive energy contained within her slender frame to scorch the flesh from his bones, to send his soul screaming into the darkness. His perceptions of her blistered and peeled away like layers of old lacquer. He was reborn, and as helpless before her as a newborn pup, but she did not strike him down.
 
Instead, she offered him the equivalent of a bonsai.
 
Kagome probed his expression carefully before speaking. “That is a very small taste of the power destined to destroy Naraku, and yet, it is not enough to succeed. Only the gods know why I have been cursed with the task of forging two stubborn inu-youkais into a weapon, but here I am. Stop this posturing nonsense and join us, Sesshomaru. You are needed to win this war; please give my request due consideration.” She stepped away, turned her back on him, and marched across the field towards her companions.
 
Old conceptions and the habits associated with them die hard, especially for taiyoukais whose very foundations have been rocked to their core. “You are beneath my consideration, miko.”
 
A shout of laughter plainly startled the watchers. “You are so going to eat your words, you arrogant taiyoukai!” Provoked, he sent a strike at her retreating back; he was blinded by a powerful flare of energy, and Tokijin's demonic power sizzled into nothingness against a crackling violet-pink shield. The scathing look the girl gave him as she dropped the barrier clearly said exactly what I would have expected and he felt a touch of regret at his loss of control …and her loss of respect.
 
Kagome walked right up to Inuyasha and smiled so brightly at him, he felt all squishy inside. “Your turn, dog-boy. Don't hurt him too much.”
 
“Keh! Maybe he'll trip over this thing and hurt himself…”
 
Chuckling, she stepped in even closer and stood on tip-toe to tilt his face down for a kiss. He growled lightly when she released him; she then reached for the Tetsusaiga. She spread her fingers and pressed the transformed blade between her palms; the power contained within thrummed at her touch. Smiling, she stooped and kissed the katana right below the guard, turning the thrumming into the metallic equivalent of a startled cough, which earned the sword a girlish giggle.
 
Across the field, Sesshomaru stiffened. Rin's laugh. He suddenly noticed how the girl's distinctive demonic/spiritual energy coiled protectively around both she and his brother, creating a barrier that he knew would be impossible to penetrate. He felt a tightness grip his chest. Is that what Tenseiga meant? How Rin would be my strength? But…I've never detected any spiritual power in the child
 
Inuyasha took advantage of the situation to lightly kiss Kagome again, and revelled in the soft smile on her lips. With a last tender touch, he broke away to stride out in front of his rag-tag pack (trying not to obviously drag the Tetsusaiga) and squared up to the unmoving demon across the field. Sesshomaru found his voice. “There is something about you that I must determine, Inuyasha…come at me.”
 
The hanyou sneered and hefted his over-long blade. “Thanks to you pulling this sword out of my eye, my demon blood made its debut against Goshinki. Piss me off enough, and I just might take you down, asshole…whether we need you or not.”
 
“If you do not wish to strike…then I will come at you.” Only Kagome and Totosai could see Sesshomaru's charge, but they all saw Inuyasha stagger when he pulled up the Tetsusaiga, balanced the tip on the ground and deflected Tokijin's strike. The sword's power tore cuts in his skin again; the damage was much more severe than when Kaijinbo wielded the blade.
 
Sesshomaru backed off a safe distance from the bloodied hanyou and sniffed delicately. His blood-scent is that of a half-breed…but I know what I smelled at the village…I must determine the truth of this with my own eyes.
 
Inuyasha grunted as he struggled to manoeuvre the Tetsusaiga while sorting through his options, which were fairly limited.
 
Try to take him down in one swing or drop the sword and go in with the claws and risk you taking control…
I'm not some kind of disease, you know.
I don't trust you with my bitch, or my pack.
Wouldn't hurt any of them, especially not her.
Let me do this myself…
::shrugs:: I'll be waiting.
 
“Why do you hesitate, Inuyasha? You usually fling yourself at me like an angry child. I am not used to this restraint.”
 
“Shut up, asshole! I'll show you restraint…”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Kagome kept her power at a bare minimum while she waited, equally ready to throw up a barrier or spank a taiyoukai; the red and green vapours dribbled slowly down from her scabbard while the silver shimmered over her body. She was still badly startled when her chin was gripped in hard calloused fingers and yanked to face a Totosai that was just a little bit too close. He held her in a grip of iron, intently studying her eyes, before releasing her, his bulbous gaze as keen as a freshly-sharpened edge.
 
“Silver-eyed raptor/Fiery-taloned Phoenix strikes/Swift death to evil.”
 
Kagome arched her eyebrows. “That's very poetic, Totosai-san. Didn't know you had it in you.”
 
“Your battle-sight is highly developed, young lady. You have finally mastered your sword?”
 
“I think so.”
 
“Why did you spare Sesshomaru?”
 
“I need him, and Tenseiga, to complete the destruction of Naraku. I was merely reminding him that I am a far better ally than enemy.”
 
“Fairly impressive lesson.”
 
“I hope…shit!” Her sword was out of the sheath, as Tetsusaiga whirled up into the air and thudded into the ground a fair distance from the snarling, wounded hanyou. Inuyasha caught her eye, as Totosai gripped her sword arm to prevent her racing into battle.
 
Do what you have to do the hanyou's look plainly said, and then he transferred his attention back to his brother. Kagome tried to jerk free of the smith as she saw the red mist begin to collect around Inuyasha's crouching form.
 
“I have to stop this…Inuyasha is transforming!”
 
“Just wait a moment, Phoenix…let Sesshomaru realize what he is getting himself in for if he presses in his attack…” Totosai's voice was calm, but he was intently watching the taiyoukai.
 
“Prepare yourself for death, half-breed.” Sesshomaru's voice was as icy as ever; he readied Tokijin for a strike, and leapt towards Inuyasha. Halfway into his forward rush, Sesshomaru scented the change overcoming Inuyasha…and hesitated. Totosai let go of Kagome and gave her a shove.
 
“Grab that hanyou and clear out…I think this has gone far enough.” Kagome blindly raced for Inuyasha. The red mist had intensified around him, and she could see his eyes bleeding scarlet. A scorching hot blast of air nearly bowled her over; she let out a startled shriek. It was enough to break the hanyou's concentration on his brother, and he gave a dazed shake of his head before darting over to grab her out of the way of a flaming barrier that effectively blocked Sesshomaru's attack.
 
Sango and Miroku were already on their way off the battlefield when Inuyasha and Kagome caught up. Miroku eyed the hanyou, whose demonic power was still at greater levels than usual. “Inuyasha? Are you all right?”
 
Red-rimmed golden eyes glanced over at him. “Fine, houshi, except for the fact that my fucking sword weighs a damn ton.”
 
“We'll find out why, Inuyasha. I noticed Totosai-san grabbing it as he was holding off Sesshomaru.” Kagome squeezed Inuyasha's hand; he was gripping her around the waist rather tightly, not willing to let her go just yet.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Sesshomaru remained in the ruined meadow, Tokijin in his hand. Ah-Un's unmuzzled head happily cropped grass; he could hear the other head grumbling peevishly at its inability to follow suit. Birds trilled their morning songs; a soft breeze hinted at fine weather. To a casual observer, the taiyoukai appeared as impassive as ever. However, if a closer look was risked, it was apparent that the corners of his lips were slightly turned down and his eyes were darkened in thought.
 
First, the miko…her fire and courage are admirable, if foolhardy…Second, Inuyasha…I cannot believe that this Sesshomaru gave in to that moment of fear…
 
He flicked the blade and slid it into his obi next to Tenseiga, noting distantly that he would require a sheath for it so that his person remained undamaged by the sword's dual edges. The fang of his father hissed rather emphatically at the newcomer; Tokijin remained silent. He swept over to the tenbaryu and replaced the muzzle, then leapt to the saddle before the creature sprang upward into the spring morning.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
The young girl entertained herself by picking flowers, making a small bouquet while singing softly under her breath. Jaken was dozing in the sunshine, and he had a very good suspicion that he would wake up to find his Staff of Two Heads sporting a jaunty crown of blossoms.
 
His lord's demon power had him scrambling to his feet as Rin cheerfully saluted the taiyoukai. Jaken noted that Sesshomaru's yellow eyes, which had softened at the sight of the girl, suddenly became cold and hard as he glared at the trees on the other side of the meadow. When Rin began dancing towards him, Sesshomaru's cool voice stopped her in her tracks.
 
“Do not move.” She trembled, but held still as the taiyoukai tensed, gathered himself and sprang into the air, whipping Tokijin out of his obi in a smooth movement. Jaken ran to defend the girl, as his master hadn't yet shifted responsibility for her safety back to himself. The toad watched Sesshomaru scribe an elegant arc, then swing the blade. Trees thudded against each other and fell to the ground, revealing an elegantly-dressed woman with blood-red eyes holding a very long fan in her slender fingers.
 
Sesshomaru wrinkled his nose. “You carry the same stench as Naraku. State your business, quickly, or I shall speak with my sword.”
 
The demoness smiled. “You are Sesshomaru, the elder brother of Inuyasha, are you not? I had no idea that you were such a fine example of a male.” The `fine example' glared at her, his hackles rising. She made a graceful gesture with the closed fan. “I am Kagura, an incarnation of Naraku, the same as Goshinki, the ogre whose fangs supplied your blade.”
 
Sesshomaru stifled a growl. “Does Naraku desire the return of his flesh?”
 
Kagura laughed prettily, flashing her white fangs. “Feh. Naraku could care less; I merely wished to ascertain Goshinki's fate for myself.” She paused, and tapped her fan against her chin, red eyes regarding him speculatively. “I wonder if you would be able to destroy Naraku yourself? You are very powerful…hmm.”
 
The demon gazed at her with emotionless yellow eyes, his blade held at the ready, but gave no indication that he had even heard her words. Kagura smiled again and threw down a feather. As it bore her up and away, she called down to the taiyoukai. “Keep the sword; use it well, Sesshomaru.” She was fairly hugging herself with delight as the feather whirled her over the landscape. He's strong...he could be the one…the key to my freedom
 
Sesshomaru keenly watched the wind witch's departure, mainly to make sure that she posed no threat to his companions. Jaken shuffled up beside him to shade his eyes as he peered into the distance. “Who was that, my lord?”
 
“An enemy.” He noted Rin's absence, and turned to step on the toad, who had left the girl unguarded to satisfy his curiosity. Rin stood perfectly motionless where he had told her to stay. He repressed a pleased smile at her obedience. “You may now move.”
 
The little girl shook herself, and turned to bestow a dazzling smile upon him. “Thank you, Sesshomaru-sama!” She scampered over to Ah-Un and began removing the muzzles. The taiyoukai watched her, his lip twitching, as the one head nibbled Rin's bangs while the other pulled at the blossoms in her hand. He lifted his foot off of Jaken and began turning the enigma of Kagura over in his mind. Naraku will taste of his own incarnation's power if he is foolish enough to face me.
 
Then the recalled scent of his brother's transformation reminded him of something else that required immediate attention. “Jaken…Rin…we have a visit to pay to my father's old friend…”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
 
A/N: Bonsai (artistically stunted trees) are symbols of peace and have a very long history; the practise is thought to have arrived in Japan from China in the Heian period (794-1191) and was indulged in by the upper classes. Olive branches are hard to come by in Japan…
 
For any of you afflicted by an image of Sess lifting his leg and urinating on the metaphorically offered tree, I humbly apologize.