InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Phoenix Blade: Time Lapse ❯ Hell Spawn IV: Double Jeopardy ( Chapter 41 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: Don't own…don't sue. Tormenting them purely for my own sadistic pleasure. All characters and most situations owned by Rumiko Takahashi and Shogakukan Publishing.
 
A/N: Let's see…Koga's swinging by, so the coarse language alert is in full effect…
 
The Phoenix Blade: Time Lapse
Chapter 41: Hell Spawn IV Double Jeopardy
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
Sengoku Jidai
Afternoon of the same day as Tokijin's debut
 
“Thank you so much, Totosai-sama! I was afraid that Hiraikotsu was beyond repair!”
 
“No trouble at all, young lady. This is actually easy, compared to some of the swords I've dealt with, never mind their owners…” The demon smith inflated his cheeks and breathed out an intense stream of fire, striking the boomerang with ringing blows of his mallet.
 
Kagome sat not that far away from Sango and Totosai, on the bank of a scenic river, polishing Fenikkusuken. The sword was purring contentedly at the attention, an action that was unnerving her just the slightest little bit. Totosai had honed the blade for her, and she admired the wavy pattern reflecting along the extremely sharp edge. Inuyasha sulked beside her, hands shoved deeply into his sleeves, an agitated flea bouncing up and down on his shoulder. Privately, Kagome was getting to the `squishing' stage; she couldn't imagine how Inuyasha had held out for so long.
 
“Don't ever let the Tetsusaiga slip out of your hands again, Inuyasha-sama! You saw the result…you can't risk it! What if Kagome-sama is unable to restrain you?”
 
“Leave me the fuck alone, Myoga! I know the risks…”
 
“Why did you transform so easily? Your life wasn't threatened…”
 
“You call Sesshomaru pointing a nasty evil sword at you, one that rips holes in your flesh, not threatening?” Kagome asked, sliding her katana back into its scabbard.
 
“Is the blade that much heavier, Inuyasha-sama? Are you sure that it isn't just a question of technique?”
 
“ `Are you sure it isn't just a question of technique'…” Inuyasha mimicked the flea's voice, then scowled ferociously. “Keh! I'll show you…” Myoga bailed for Kagome's shoulder as Inuyasha stood up, made sure he was in the clear, and drew the Tetsusaiga. The blade hissed out of the scabbard, grew to enormous proportions, over twice Inuyasha's height…and toppled the swearing hanyou into the sparkling water. Kagome sighed and reached to help pull the sopping demon out of the river. He plopped down in a spreading puddle and began wringing out his sleeves and hair.
 
Kagome took the scabbard away from him and dumped it. Totosai sighed and hooked the retransformed sword out of the water with his mallet. He eyed the edge for damage and tossed it to Inuyasha. When the hanyou made no move to catch the weapon, Kagome intervened on the fly and snatched it out of mid-air by the hilt. Clucking her tongue, she ran her polishing cloth over the dinged-up metal before sliding it back into its sheath. Inuyasha just ignored the whole process, slouching morosely.
 
“So, Inuyasha…that was a pretty impressive demonic transformation. Think you gave Sesshomaru something to chew over…arrogant well-dressed twit…” Totosai subsided into grumbles as he dumped the Hiraikotsu into the cold water and a cloud of steam billowed up.
 
“Keh! I don't remember…”
 
“Well, it's obvious, isn't it? You transform when your life is threatened, and your demon blood acts to save you. While it might be a flashy type of power, I don't consider it to be true strength. Your dad understood that.”
 
“But Sesshomaru…”
 
“Bah…you're much better than that piece of ice. Now listen, you impatient hanyou. Tetsusaiga is heavier because it is your own fang that gives it strength. Before, you drew on your father's power for protection; now it is up to you to master yourself. If you are successful, then you will be truly strong. I dare say that you'll even over-reach your brother.” Totosai heaved the Hiraikotsu out of the river and eyed its finish critically, touching it up with a prolonged blast of heat and a few well-placed blows.
 
Inuyasha's eyes were hooded as he contemplated the smith's words. Kagome scooted over to his side and leaned her cheek against his damp shoulder. He glanced down at her, and was caught by the sparkle in her eyes. “You can do anything you really want to, Inuyasha. While your father's protection was pretty good, I'm looking forward to seeing you develop your own power with this sword.”
 
He blushed a bit, and leaned in close. “I'd rather work on impressing you with the power of my other sword…”
 
“You're turning into a damn hentai, you know that?”
 
“Can't blame a demon for trying…”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Much closer than the group of travellers thought, in a beautiful, well fortified stronghold…evil rose. The human retainers of Hitomi-sama went about their business, blissfully unaware that the creature masquerading as their beloved young lord was in reality a twisted, dark hanyou.
 
In the lord's innermost chamber, where only he himself was permitted to enter, several large, shapely porcelain jars stood. They were of a size and quality that one would expect something such as fine sake or plum wine to be held within their cool walls.
 
If the viewer dared step a little closer, which was not really advised, he could see that the beautiful jars held seething, bubbling dark masses, churning and roiling, giving off the faintest scent of burnt flesh. Those that foolishly tiptoed closer had already been drawn into the hungry flesh and joined with the oozing, pulsating mass…
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Farther downstream from where the hanyou sat with his arm around his girl, bantering with the houshi and the slayer as they debated the quickest route back to their adopted home after bidding the demon smith a fond farewell, while the kitsune and the neko-youkai tried to not get too wet catching fish, a number of hairy brown bodies waded chest deep into the stream and drank deeply of the crystalline water.
 
Nearby, a pouting wolf prince ignored the tentative shuffling of his men. One, with a black stripe blazing the centre of his hair, cleared his throat nervously. Koga rolled his eyes impatiently; he could smell the fear rolling off the both of them. “Spit it out, Ginta, before you wet yourself.”
 
“Ah! Er…” His buddy, with spiky white hair, encouraged him with significant looks. “Well…it's just that…since we don't know what this `Kagura' smells like, or `Naraku' for that matter, we can't really track either of `em…”
 
“Yeah, Koga…we feel like we're going in circles! Can't we just go home?” The silence that greeted this last remark was long and had them both squirming. Koga finally turned around and glared at them, his visage thunderous.
 
“Go home, then. It seems that I'm the only one who wants to avenge our comrades. You two just slow me down, anyways.”
 
Ginta and Hakkaku looked desperately at each other. “It isn't that, chief! It's just we spend so much time running around without any real direction… Koga?” The wolf prince had gone rigid, sniffing the air intently, and then without a word, disappeared into a tornado. Ginta, Hakkaku and the wolves scrambled madly after him, too afraid of being left behind to argue any further.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Kagome squeezed Inuyasha's hand a little too tightly. “Two Jewel shards approaching rapidly…oh, crap.” Her free hand dropped onto her sword hilt, and she began to crackle. Shippo squeaked and scuttled to Inuyasha's shoulder from Kagome's, then retreated to the relative safety of Arashi's saddle.
 
“Well, hel-lo, princess! You're looking particularly fine today…”
 
Kagome groaned wearily. “Hello, wolfling.” A formidable growl from beside her went up in volume as Koga swaggered closer. Her view of his smirking countenance was abruptly blocked by fire-rat; she gratefully rested her free hand against Inuyasha's back. She heard Koga draw a deep sniff.
 
“Why the hell are you acting like she's yours, puppy? Don't smell anything that tells me she's been fully claimed…”
 
Inuyasha didn't have to say anything. Koga backed away from the silver-eyed woman who came snarling out from behind the hanyou. “Dammit, Koga! Would you just lay off? I told you that no matter what your nose might tell you, I belong to Inuyasha…”
 
A very dark smile greeted that declaration. “Yeah, princess…but are you sure he means it? You're wasting your time with a whelp like him.”
 
Inuyasha went for his hilt; Kagome stopped him, her eyes steely, her hands flaring with pink energy. “Wolfling, you're in serious danger of imminent purification if you don't watch your mouth.”
 
The participants in the standoff were distracted by the panting arrival of the rest of the wolf demon clan. Ginta and Hakkaku wobbled up and waved cheerily to Kagome, who hesitantly returned their greeting. Koga stepped back until he was surrounded by his pack, not taking his eyes from Kagome. She was about to make a very rude gesture at him, when he crossed his arms on his chest, dropped down onto a convenient rock, then asked something surprisingly reasonable.
 
“I actually wanted to ask you for some information on Naraku.”
 
Kagome glared at him before sitting down herself on another outcropping far enough away for comfort, but still close enough for conversation. “You have a really irritating way of asking for help, Koga.” She tugged the resisting hanyou down beside her; Sango and Miroku warily protected the flanks.
 
Koga smiled disarmingly. “Merely wanted to show my appreciation of such a beautiful bitch…although her taste in demons is a little questionable…”
 
“Yeah? Your taste is all in your mouth, wolf-shit!” Inuyasha gripped the Tetsusaiga again, but Kagome stayed his hand at Miroku's smooth intercession.
 
“You desired some information, Koga-sama? What kind?”
 
“The location of Naraku's castle, for a start.”
 
“Keh! Stupid wolf…if we knew that, we'd be there by now.”
 
“We've been travelling to the northwest for the last little while, because that's the direction he keeps luring us, but we don't know if that is also the direction of his stronghold,” Sango added, eyeing the wolves, who in turn seemed to be checking out Kirara's snack potential.
 
Koga turned his brilliant blue eyes on Kagome. “What about Jewel shards, princess?”
 
“Nothing; except for your two, we haven't come across any for days. You have to watch it, Koga. Naraku has come into possession of a really large chunk of the Jewel and has developed the ability to birth incarnations of himself.”
 
Ginta perked up. “That's…disgusting, Kagome-sama! Really?”
 
Kagome beamed at him; he blushed furiously. “Kagura was only the first. There's also a white-haired little girl called Kanna. Don't look in her mirror, or she'll steal your soul. The third was Goshinki…well, he's dead, but there's no doubt that Naraku will keep at it now that he's started.”
 
Koga scratched his neck. “I still should be able to smell something…”
 
“The bastard's probably raised a barrier. The night he killed your packmates, we didn't smell anything until we were inside the castle walls…and he didn't drop the barrier until he knew you were near, and we were all covered in blood.” Inuyasha made a point to bare his fangs at the wolf as he said this.
 
“Sneaky bastard. The upshot is, you don't know any more than we do. Kagome, wouldn't you rather be with a full demon that has some brains?”
 
The girl's eyes developed a silver cast with astonishing speed, and then she smiled very sweetly indeed. “That's why I'm with Inuyasha and not you, wolfling.”
 
The wolf prince stretched elaborately, to cover his irritation at being outflanked. “We've wasted enough time talking to you lot…got places to go, demons to kill…hey!” The transformed Tetsusaiga slammed through the rock he'd been perched on a moment before. “S'matter, puppy? You seem a little slow today.”
 
Inuyasha levered the blade free, snarling. “Just hand over those Jewel shards, Koga, and then you can run home to the safety of your cave until it's all over.”
 
“Feh. Don't you ever get tired of this brat's attitude, Kagome?”
 
Your attitude exhausts me, wolfling. I suggest you get going, before Inuyasha shows you what his sword can really do.” The wolf prince noted with great interest the difficulty that the hanyou was having handling his enormous blade, and then smirked, bounced over Inuyasha's head, and landed right in front of Kagome. He chucked her under the chin with a claw, leered broadly, and waited as Inuyasha dropped the blade and jumped for him with his claws. Blowing Kagome a cheeky kiss, he winked and used the hanyou's shoulder as a launch pad. Inuyasha whirled, a lovely shade of purple, Koga triumphantly noted, and couldn't resist a final dig.
 
“If you get tired of waiting for dog-shit to make an honest bitch out of you, I'll be more than happy to make up for his deficiencies as a mate. You'd get all of me, not just a half. See ya!” Just before the hanyou went ballistic, Koga was gone in a cloud of dust, closely followed by his entourage. Hakkaku turned to raise a cautious hand in farewell salute; Kagome waved briskly before moving to calm Inuyasha.
 
Uh-oh. Faint red wisps were seeping into existence around the hanyou, and she dove for him, wrapping her arms around his waist from behind, letting her power flow around him. The red energy vanished instantly, and all that was left was the growling. “Ignore him, koibito. He lives for the reaction…”
 
“One day…that fucking wolf is going to go too far…” Inuyasha struggled to control his breathing, unaware that faint lines of blue marked his cheeks and scarlet rimmed his golden irises. He instinctively hid his face under his bangs, then reached behind him and pulled Kagome into his arms. The girl saw the slightly lengthened fangs, instantly understood and cuddled into him, tilting her head to the side so that he could press his nose into the skin of her neck. She felt him take several long, deep breaths, and then he steadied. After a few minutes, the hanyou met her eyes, and she was relieved to see familiar gold. “Damn…that fucking piece of wolf-shit pisses me off.”
 
“Me, too.” She stroked her fingers up through his bangs and gently tweaked his ear-tips, smiling at him the whole time, and he pulled her into an abrupt, hard kiss.
 
“Shall we continue on our way?” Miroku asked, coughing lightly. Kagome was of half a mind to point out that the alternative to the public display was a demonic Inuyasha on the loose, but then realized that the hanyou probably didn't even know he'd begun to transform, so she merely grinned at the monk, stepped out of the circle of Inuyasha's arms and swung up onto Arashi's back. Shippo scampered onto her shoulder and wrapped his arms around her neck.
 
“Kagome, if Sesshomaru is a Level Two alert, and Naraku a Level One, what's Koga?”
 
“A zero. Since it'll take a few days to reach Kaede-sama's, and our supplies are running low again, let's keep our eyes peeled for a likely village.”
 
“A likely village in need of a little exorcism perhaps…” Miroku trailed off, captivated by the dreamy look on Sango's face as she contemplated something. He hoped that it was him.
 
“If we're really lucky, a village with an inn and hot bath water!” Sango happily exclaimed, crushing Miroku's vain hopes, and settled herself more comfortably on Juhi. Kirara clung to the pack tied on behind the saddle, and levelled a death glare at Miroku when he looked like he was thinking of asking for a ride. Catching the full impact of the neko-youkai's evil eye, Miroku swallowed the jocular gallantry that was on the tip of his tongue and waited beside Inuyasha until the hanyou retrieved and sheathed Tetsusaiga. The girls moved off ahead on horseback, side-by-side, chattering about their chances of a decent wash and some food that didn't have to be skinned first.
 
“Once again Koga-sama brought out the best in you, Inuyasha. You shouldn't rise to his bait…”
 
“You're human, houshi; you don't understand. Koga's questioning my right to be with Kagome by saying she isn't fully my mate…”
 
“What, exactly, did he mean by that? You, er, sounded rather thoroughly, ah, mated before we left Kaede-sama's village…”
 
“Keh! We didn't get a chance to finish mating after the sun rose. You took care of that.” Inuyasha growled a little, then noticed Miroku's contrite look. The monk stopped, and inclined his head to the hanyou.
 
“Forgive me, Inuyasha. It is my fault for causing you this difficulty…”
 
“Actually, it's Sesshomaru's fault…and I think Kagome let him know her opinion of him this morning. `Course, I'll pay him back for it when I get the chance.”
 
“Inuyasha, are you also aware that your demonic aura increased rather dramatically just before Koga-sama left? Kagome-sama quickly intervened, but I suspect that you began your transformation again.”
 
Shit…”
 
“Try not to let go of Tetsusaiga for the next little while, all right?”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
The night was dark and chilly; Ginta and Hakkaku muttered rebelliously about the warm fire Koga had made them leave to charge off into the darkness after a scent. They caught up with him on the edge of a sheer precipice that dropped away to dizzyingly mysterious depths.
 
“What is it, chief?”
 
“Now that you've checked, can we go back to our fire? I think I smelled some rabbits…”
 
“Kagura.”
 
“Huh? What? Where?” the two chorused, drawing closer together and looking around nervously. Then, they heard the buzzing. “That's odd,” Hakkaku muttered. “Wasps flying at this time of night?”
 
“Take a good sniff of those wasps, puppies. That's the scent I've been looking for, the same as Kagura…must be Naraku. Catch up when you can…” Koga dove off the edge of the cliff, barrelling straight down the vertical face at full throttle. The rest of the wolves looked over the edge, then at each other.
 
“Guess we're taking the long way…show off.”
 
“Wish we could find ourselves some Shikon shards…”
 
“Now that's not a bad idea, Hakkaku! We should ask Kagome-sama if she has some she could spare the next time we see her!”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Far below, Koga streaked through the darkness, following the hated scent deeper and deeper into the forest. He was brought up short by the strangest sight he'd ever seen. A white baboon-skinned and masked figure rode a skeletal horse, which was harnessed to a carriage-like conveyance. The box-shaped cargo was shrouded in expensive silk that gleamed in the flaring torchlight and gave no hint as to the contents. Then Koga noticed that the light came not from torches, but from balls of flame scattered at random around the carriage, hovering eerily, resembling disembodied souls.
 
The scent was emanating from the fur-clad figure, and to a lesser extent, the covered wagon; Koga bared his fangs in a vicious snarl. “I've been hunting you, Naraku!”
 
An evil chuckle shook the baboon pelt. “If you had any sense, wolf, you'd run in the opposite direction. Truly, you are as foolish as the hanyou.”
 
“I'm here to avenge my packmates, you bastard. Prepare to die!” The wolf prince ground out, not really liking the way that this strange being showed no fear of him, just seemed highly amused.
 
“I am not your opponent, Koga…at least, not yet. Instead, I will be pleased to test out my fourth incarnation on you.” Behind him, the silk covering slithered off, and the sturdy chains binding the thick metal bars of the now-revealed cage fell away. The cage door creaked open. “You are released Juromaru…come out and meet Koga, the soon-to-be-deceased chieftain of the wolf demon clan.”
 
A green-clad creature leapt to the ground and crouched, white hair spilling forward over his shoulders, sapphire blue eyes glinting above a strange metal muzzle. Juromaru shifted his position slightly and Koga both saw and heard the chains shackling the being. “What the hell is this, Naraku? Take off his restraints!”
 
The baboon pelt shook with suppressed mirth. “Be careful, wolf, or you may get what you wish for. If you impress me enough, I may grant your request.”
 
Koga's blue eyes snapped. “Feh. You wait right there while I slaughter this freak, and then it's your turn.” He crouched, assessing Juromaru's unwavering stance, then dashed in and delivered a devastating kick from his shard-enhanced legs. He was caught completely off-guard when a large hand gripped his throat as he was slammed bodily into the ground. I didn't even see him move…what is this thing? Thinking fast, Koga slammed one foot into the centre of Juromaru's chest and the other into his chin, launching the creature across the clearing. Juromaru twisted agilely in the air and landed in a crouch, his eyes keen.
 
Koga dodged backwards to put more distance between himself and Juromaru. He felt the bruises from the creature's fingers already forming. Fuck…this bastard's fast…but there's something else…I'm sensing an incredible demonic aura…huh? It's coming from Juromaru? Shit…I'm outta here!
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Inuyasha shot to his feet, dropping his mess tin. Before Kagome could crossly remonstrate with him for spilling the already limited food, he jumped up onto a boulder and sniffed deeply, then started swearing luridly.
 
“Inuyasha? Care to let us in on the source of your discontent?” Miroku asked, interrupted while trying to bribe Kirara with a morsel of fish. The neko-youkai took advantage of his distraction to snatch the food out of his fingers, then carried it away to eat next to Sango, watching the monk through narrowed eyes.
 
“Naraku…and Koga,” the hanyou spat. Kagome tackled him before he could take off into the darkness.
 
“Two of your favourite demons, I know…don't you even think about going without us!” The hanyou pulled her up to his eye level.
 
“Koga is not getting rights to Naraku's life, bitch…”
 
Kagome's eyes flashed. “Call me that again, in that tone of voice, and I'll `s' you into the ground to make you wait for us.” Her voice brooked no opposition; Inuyasha's eyebrow twitched, but he held his tongue and his temper while the rest of the group scrambled for weapons.
 
“You can't see in the dark anyways, so why the fuck are you even bothering?” he finally burst out.
 
“Because where you go, I go, dog-boy, especially if Naraku is involved.”
 
“We're ready, Inuyasha!” Shippo announced from Arashi's back. The hanyou hesitated a moment.
 
“Runt, you stay here with the horses. You can see in the dark as well as I can, so use your foxfire as necessary to keep Arashi and Juhi safe. We'll be back for you when it's over.”
 
The kit's eyes grew impossibly wide. “W-what happens if you don't come back?”
 
“'Course we will, but if not, start heading towards Kaede's. Got that?” Kagome pulled the kit off the horse and gave him a hug; he smiled bravely, but his tail was bushed right out. “We'll be back, Ship-dip. Keep a kettle boiling for tea!”
 
“Sure, Kagome…”
 
“Hurry up, wench. They're getting closer.” She could hear the sense of frustration in his voice, so she set Shippo down after another squish, and checked her weapons on the way over to the hanyou.
 
“Want a passenger?”
 
“I want you to ride with Sango on Kirara. We don't know what we're getting into…and I don't want you to be in the direct line of fire until we know what's going on.” He followed that up with a kiss, and held her in it until he could feel her disappointment soften. “Please do as I ask, Kagome… I'm not sure of the Tetsusaiga right now.”
 
“But if I'm with you, I can protect you…”
 
“Not tonight, koishii. Ride with Sango.” Kagome bit her lip, searching his eyes in the firelight, and finally nodded. He kissed her again, and then steered her over to Kirara. The neko-youkai eyed him, and then roared into her transformation. “Kirara, will you look after my girl?”
 
Kagome was sure something unspoken passed between the hanyou and the neko, because it was a moment before Kirara rumbled softly and rubbed her muzzle against Inuyasha's hand. Kagome was tossed onto Kirara's back, and then her braid tugged to lever her down for another kiss.
 
Miroku watched all of this with a slight smirk. “My dear Sango-sama…may I offer you a small token of my wish for your safety tonight?” Sango snapped upright at the same time as Kirara's formidable growl fairly shook the clearing. Miroku found himself flayed from all directions, and gulped. He spread his hands in a gesture of surrender. “You misunderstand me, samas…I only meant…dammit, Inuyasha! Wait up!”
 
Kagome couldn't help a chuckle as Sango slid onto Kirara's broad back, adjusted the Hiraikotsu, growling nearly as loud as the neko the whole time. “I'm starting to feel sorry for Miroku a wee bit…”
 
“Go ahead and make him feel better, if it bothers you that much.” Sango bit out.
 
Ouch…Kagome winced at the venom while she gingerly gripped the Hiraikotsu's newly sharpened edge, then decided that she needed to corner Sango soon to find out what was going on. She's gone off Miroku since the Kanna-Koharu incident… The fire-cat roared and leapt into the air, following the fast-disappearing hanyou and houshi.
 
“Kirara? You can follow them all right?” The neko yowled a reply, and changed course slightly before diving down into the trees. Both girls yelled and tucked down to avoid the whipping branches, until they were racing among trunks and through undergrowth, following a sliver blur into the darkness. Kagome scooted closer and reached over the Hiraikotsu to clutch Sango's shoulders as they hunched as low as they could over Kirara's neck.
 
Inuyasha pulled up short when a tornado blew past. “Koga! What the fuck…?” He had his answer a split second later, when a white and green bullet took a swing at him on the way by, and the hanyou barely dodged the blow. “Running away, eh, wolf-shit…oi!” He avoided another strike by the fast-moving creature, which went instantly into a crouch, blue eyes snapping over the elaborate grilled muzzle. Pretty as Sesshomaru, but stinks like Naraku…Inuyasha's eye was caught by movement behind the creature, and the hated baboon pelt came into view at the same moment as his companions crashed through the bushes.
 
“Naraku!” Sango's scream made Inuyasha's ears flatten; the pelt didn't even twitch. Kagome squinted at the figure, but detected no shards. “It's a golem, Sango…damn.”
 
“How delightful…such sentiment brings tears to my eyes, that all of you will die together out of loyalty…”
 
“Ya haven't managed to kill any of us yet, so spare us the victory speech.”
 
“Koga had enough sense to run away when he sensed he was out of his league…we all know you're not that smart, Inuyasha.” Over the hanyou's growl, Naraku gestured at his creature. “This is Juromaru, the finest and most vicious of my incarnations. For you, Inuyasha, I will remove his bonds, and allow you to face his full power.”
 
With a loud clanking, the chains fell away, and the muzzle shattered. In a movement too fast to see, Juromaru's arm sliced upwards and the pelt collapsed as the golem's head rolled away. Kagome gasped, and willed her battle-sight into existence just as Sango slid off of Kirara to take up a `ready' stance next to Miroku, her weapon in throwing position. Kagome was about to follow suit, when Kirara growled and lifted them higher off the ground. She scooted up the fire-cat's back and steadied herself with a handful of ruff before she reached for her quiver. “We'll have to be ready for anything, Kirara. Goshinki was big and fast, but this one is smaller and faster…not to mention, downright creepy.” Kirara rumbled an assent, hovering within reach of the slayer and the monk, but not so close that Kagome could bail without injury.
 
“Sango-sama? Perhaps it would be safer for you on Kirara?” Miroku kept his voice soft.
 
“Safer, maybe…but not nearly as exciting, you must admit.” Sango shot back, not taking her eyes off the demon.
 
If Kagome didn't have her enhanced sight, she wouldn't have seen the silent creature move, bright green liquid oozing from between its sharp-looking fangs as it struck at Inuyasha, who retaliated with a powerful punch to the jaw. Juromaru fell away, his body limp, landing face-down in the rocky soil. Inuyasha hesitated, puzzled at the demon's apparent defeat, but then quick as thought, Juromaru was upright and in a crouch, his mouth suddenly bare of drool.
 
Kagome flared an arrow between her fingertips, wondering if she dared try to get in a shot, and then Inuyasha shouted his `iron reaver' attack as he leapt in at Juromaru. The demon struck back, their fists colliding, but then it appeared that Juromaru's arm grew an extra foot in length, and he landed a glancing blow that sent blood spurting from Inuyasha's cheek.
 
Cursing, the hanyou took an extra jump out of range, wiping at his smarting skin. What the fuck…is he like one of Naraku's golems, and can send out extensions of his limbs?
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Quite a distance away, Ginta and Hakkaku nearly stumbled over their leader, as he sat on a rocky outcropping, admiring the stars. “Koga? Um…did you find what you were looking for?” Hakkaku asked nervously.
 
“Uh-huh.”
 
“Did you kill Naraku?”
 
“Nope.”
 
“Um…”
 
“He had some freaky weird demon with him…gave me a really bad feeling, so I took off. Besides, Inu-idiot showed up, so I left him to do the dirty work.”
 
The two wolf demons looked at each other, then at Koga. “You mean you ran away and left Kagome-sama in danger?” Koga's face went from cocky to stunned in a second flat. Then he was gone. Ginta snarled in exasperation while Hakkaku grimaced and raked his claws through his white spikes.
 
“And he says we're stupid…”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Inuyasha dodged another one-two combination from Juromaru, trying to see how the demon's arms seemed to extend at will. He barely brought his arm up in time to protect his face, and then ripped Tetsusaiga from its sheath. “You damn freak!” He screamed in frustration, then struck a powerful blow that appeared to sever Juromaru's arm, but when the demon pulled back, both hands were still in place and operational, as he dove again for the hanyou, gouging out an impressive trench in the ground when he missed. Fuck! What is going on with this thing? At that exact moment, something exploded out of the ground behind Inuyasha and blasted up through his stomach, spattering blood everywhere. The hanyou dropped to one knee, gasping. Kagome cried out, and Kirara responded by swooping over to Inuyasha's side. The girl slid off and wrapped her arms around him while Kirara stood over them with her fangs bared and her tails lashing.
 
The `something' landed in front of Juromaru; the demon didn't react, remaining as stoic as ever. The evil-looking little creature coiled back on itself, exactly like a poisonous snake…but the resemblance ended there. A miniature version of Juromaru's face topped off the sinuous body, which was armed with a pair of long, narrow, scythe-like limbs, currently dripping with Inuyasha's blood. Miroku moved into position in front of Inuyasha; Kagome notched an arrow and aimed it, ready to let fly as soon as she had a clear shot.
 
The creature's beady blue eyes darted back and forth among the watchers, and then it cackled evilly, an eerie facsimile of Naraku's voice. “I believe it is a human custom to introduce oneself to strangers. I am Kageromaru, Juromaru's elder brother. Pity that Naraku was only a golem; however, once we have disposed of you pathetic creatures, we will deal with him as well. It was lovely meeting all of you; you'll get to know us much better when you are melting together in our bellies.”
 
Kagome instantly threw a barrier over herself, Inuyasha and Kirara as Miroku tore the prayer beads away from the Vortex. Kageromaru chuckled, vanished and caught the monk with a glancing blow that twisted Miroku's wrist, pointing the Vortex right at his own face. The monk screamed as he fought to redirect the powerful void. His shout distracted Sango slightly, but she managed to throw Hiraikotsu at Juromaru. With no more expression than someone swatting a bug, the demon batted the weapon away. The boomerang slammed back to earth right at Sango's feet, spraying her with rock chips and dirt. While she was off balance, Kageromaru swooped in at her back.
 
If Miroku had been a split-second slower, the slayer would surely have been eviscerated. As it was, Miroku's shoulder was sliced open and he knocked into Sango, but she managed to steady both of them. Kageromaru took a moment to gloat; that was all the monk needed. The Vortex roared…at a missing target.
 
“Pathetic human…do you honestly think you could suck me in? You can't even see me!”
 
“Miroku! Above you!” Kagome shouted, and then noted how Kageromaru's small, evil eyes locked on her. Shit…. “Miroku! Watch out!” Juromaru materialized, diving in fangs first, fastening into the monk's forearm instead of his throat, and bearing him down. Kagome barely dropped the barrier in time as Inuyasha launched himself at the demon currently trying to tear Miroku's arm off. He heaved, then swung Tetsusaiga in a shallow sweep, intending to cut Juromaru in half. The demon let go at the last possible second, tearing away a chunk of skin and gauntlet as he flashed out of range.
 
Miroku was actually afraid to look, fearing that the Tetsusaiga might have removed his arm. If he did lose it, he felt more than adequately compensated for his loss when Sango wrapped her arms around him, mashing his face into her body armour.
 
“Houshi! You okay?” Inuyasha shouted, facing off against Juromaru, who calmly spat out the piece of fabric.
 
“Just kill that thing, Inuyasha! Miroku-sama's fine!” Sango yelled back, adding in a lower tone of voice, “If your damn sword didn't give him heart failure, that is…”
 
Inuyasha took his attention from Juromaru for a moment to check on Kagome and Kirara…and his blood froze. Behind his mate he saw a flash, a flash that became a leering Kageromaru. “Kagome!!” He spun away from Juromaru, but knew he wouldn't make it in time… Kagome responded to the look on his face with another crackling pink barrier… Kageromaru cursed and changed his trajectory at the last second… and was firmly kicked across the clearing by a foot clad in a furry brown legging.
 
“Kagome! That little freak didn't touch you, did he?”
 
“N-no…”
 
“I meant dog-shit…who's that other thing?”
 
“Koga, you are such an idiot!” Kagome snarled in exasperation.
 
Vivid blue eyes under arched eyebrows took in her murderous expression. Koga flicked his tail. “Stupid whelp put you in danger.”
 
“You're the one who ran from this fight, asshole!” Inuyasha hissed back, eyes snapping angrily. “Thanks for defending my mate. You've been useful…for once.”
 
“Don't turn your back on those demons!” Miroku called from where he was rather cosily ensconced on Sango's lap, shaking his head at the two arguing canines. Kagome dropped one barrier, swung up onto Kirara's back and they raced to Sango and Miroku. Another barrier blossomed around them and thickened to near-opaqueness.
 
Koga smirked arrogantly. “Nothing is faster than me, monk. What the hell is that thing?”
 
Now that Kagome was safe and farther away from Koga, Inuyasha rolled his shoulders and admitted to himself he'd rather swap places with the monk. “Name's Kageromaru…related to that other freak…both were split off from Naraku. They're both damn fast.”
 
“You're mine, Kageromaru! I'm gonna squish you like the worm you are…” Koga dove at the smaller demon, claws extended…only to miss. His instincts told him to twist away just as a massive blade whistled past his ear.
 
Fuck, wolf-shit! Take care of that other freak, but stay out of my way while you're doing it! Juromaru! I'm your opponent!”
 
“Fuck you, dog-shit. Stay out of my fight, or I'll slash you to ribbons!”
 
“No problem, fucker…”
 
And then all hell broke loose. Kagome, using her battle-sight, began giving a running commentary of the mayhem, which Sango and Miroku could only see if the combatants held still long enough. Koga chased Kageromaru around the clearing, dashing from tree to rock and back again, trying to strike the demon with his feet or fist, and quickly becoming frustrated. Juromaru was giving Inuyasha an equally hard time. As the hanyou struggled to handle the Tetsusaiga, Juromaru spun away, ricocheted off a tree and barely missed taking out the half-demon. Inuyasha finally mustered a mighty swing…and Juromaru perched lightly on the flat of the blade for a brief moment before taking the hanyou down, pinning him to the ground as he sank his fangs into Inuyasha's shoulder. The hanyou gritted his fangs, rolled both of them over and punched Juromaru in the face, knocking the demon away.
 
Juromaru paused, licking Inuyasha's blood from his lips…and smiled.
 
Kageromaru laughed as he flew past Koga, slashing one of his blades across the wolf prince's bicep. “Do you honestly think you can catch me, wolf? I can slowly cut you to ribbons while you chase me in vain…”
 
“Who's the slow one now, worm?” Koga kicked out and caught Kageromaru a glancing blow, and then was on the small demon before he could recover and smashed him into the earth. “That's how it's done, fucker…”
 
“Dammit, wolf-shit! Kill the freak, don't help it!” Inuyasha screamed. Kageromaru had erupted out of the ground and opened a long, deep cut on the hanyou's forearm before arcing up and away. Inuyasha was still staggering when Juromaru dealt him a mighty blow that sent more blood spurting as the hanyou collided with a tree trunk hard enough to snap the wood. He slid down to the ground, dazed.
 
Kagome was torn between maintaining the barrier over her friends and bolting for Inuyasha's side. She half-started to her feet when Kirara growled and warned her to hold still. “But, Kirara…” The neko-youkai fixed her with a beady eye and growled again, impervious to the girl's pleading look. A shouted curse from the wolf prince caught her attention, and they all gasped at the spurting wound on his thigh.
 
“This is not good…both of our demons are injured…it may very well be up to the samas…” Miroku tried to make light of their situation. Kagome shifted, wiping her sweaty hands on her leather pants.
 
“I can see them move, but I don't know if I can even hit either of them with my arrows. They're so damn fast…” Both Sango and Miroku noted how her eyes kept straying to the downed hanyou, how she bit her lip and worried the arrow still in her fingers. Sango leaned over and gently disentangled the missile, which was in danger of being snapped in half.
 
“Kirara, stay with us…Kagome, go to Inuyasha.”
 
“Are you sure?”
 
“Yes…now move it!” Without a backward glance, Kagome ran through her barrier, shredding it, and flew towards Inuyasha. A chilling laugh came from behind, and she ducked, raised a barrier, and waited for an impact that never came. A huge katana whizzed over her head and Kageromaru screamed shrilly, as one of his blades was sliced off in a spray of blood.
 
Inuyasha was swinging the Tetsusaiga single-handed. Kagome blinked. She heard Sango gasp. “He could barely raise it earlier against his brother…look at him!”
 
“Perhaps he forgot it was heavy, in his concern for Kagome-sama?”
 
“Maybe…”
 
“Dammit, Kageromaru…come out, you fucker!” Panting heavily, Inuyasha desperately tried to sense the smaller demon's location. Kagome wrapped her arms around him; he found the time to smile crookedly down at her. She surrounded him with her power, hugging him close. He felt a renewed burst of energy and squeezed her shoulder in thanks. Kagome let go and peered around him, her eyes widening.
 
“Koga's speed has been compromised by his wound…the Tetsusaiga is still heavy…”
 
“I'll save the stupid wolf…I'm gonna kill him myself. Go back to the others and stay under a barrier; then I won't have to worry about you…go!” He pushed her in the direction of Sango and Miroku; Kirara was halfway across the clearing to collect her. Kagome grabbed a double handful of ruff, and the neko-youkai swung her back to her starting point, and she restored the barrier around them.
 
Koga and Inuyasha were being hammered by the speed and relentless attacks of the two demons. Kageromaru appeared and disappeared above the ground, always catching one or the other off balance…and then Juromaru would sweep in, dealing punches and bites. The audience was struck by the simultaneous realization that the pair was wearing Inuyasha and Koga down by slow degrees…and neither demon could last forever. Sango jumped to her feet, dumping Miroku rather abruptly off her lap, and tearing the barrier. “Monk! Give me your staff! I have an idea…Kagome! Charge an arrow!”
 
Wondering, the other girl obediently flared the arrow that Sango tossed to her and watching as the slayer pulled out a clam shell secreted in her armour and popped it open. She twirled the end of Miroku's staff in the noxious-looking mixture, then snapped it shut and smiled grimly at Kagome. “On my mark, fire your arrow into the ground on that side of the clearing…maybe we can both slow Kageromaru down and force him to stay in the open.”
 
“I don't know if I can purify the ground, Sango.”
 
The slayer opened the clam shell again. “Then dip your arrow head into this, and we'll expand the range of this poison.” Kagome obeyed, and then reflared the arrow, notching it and aiming for a distinctive rock on the other side. “Now, Kagome!” Both women let fly with their missiles, embedding them deeply in the rocky soil. Even Juromaru paused as the poison and purification power combined to make the ground sizzle.
 
Kageromaru couldn't get out fast enough, gasping harshly as he fled his sanctuary. The demon quickly found himself the target of a sword and feet…and then Juromaru intervened and punched Inuyasha into Koga's path, knocking them both down. Inuyasha was slow to get up, smarting all over his body. He had enough energy to snarl at Koga when the wolf prince opened his big mouth. “Just stay there, puppy. I'll take care of these two, and protect Kagome, too.”
 
The hanyou shoved himself upright, gripping Tetsusaiga tightly. He suddenly realized that Kageromaru was missing…and Juromaru was drooling again. “Koga! Get the fuck away from that freak!”
 
“I'll deal with you later, whelp. This one is mine!”
 
“Get out of the way, wolf-shit, or you're going down, too!” Koga felt the concussion wave of the Tetsusaiga crease his skull, and barely dodged…but not before he saw Kageromaru erupt out of Juromaru's mouth, a triumphant sneer on his tiny face; a sneer that changed to horror when Inuyasha struck. The effect was very similar to what happened to Kaijinbo. The demons simply fell apart into smoking pieces.
 
Peace descended only briefly on the suddenly dark and quiet clearing. Kagome jumped to her feet and ran towards where Inuyasha stood, panting heavily, staring at the disintegrating remains of Naraku's incarnations. Koga got there first and gave the hanyou a hard shove. “What the fuck were you thinking, dog-shit? You nearly killed me!”
 
Kagome saw the red come up in Inuyasha's eyes, despite his death-grip on the Tetsusaiga's hilt as he sheathed the katana, and she nearly took him off his feet as she dove in between them. “Don't be stupid, Koga. Inuyasha figured that you'd be able to get clear in time. If he was really trying to kill you, you'd be in pieces along with those two.”
 
“Princess, why do you waste your efforts on protecting that puppy?”
 
“Wolfling, you will be in some serious shit if you don't shut up right now.” Kagome pressed herself back against Inuyasha as the hanyou pushed forward, growling. “Thanks for your help, because it would have been ugly without you…but don't push your luck…” Inuyasha's growling was changing in pitch to downright feral. Kagome desperately tried to calm him with her scent and her power, but it was looking like a losing battle, until Koga arched his eyebrows.
 
“Okay, princess…but I'll be watching. If the pup can't protect you, I'll be nearby to step in. Until next time…” He was gone in a cloud of dust into the pre-dawn darkness.
 
Kagome relaxed a little bit, turned, and caught Inuyasha in a tight hug. This turned out to be a fortuitous move, as the hanyou staggered before sinking to his knees, bringing her down with him. She struggled to keep him upright. “You're really beat up, koibito…let's get back to camp and fix up both you and Miroku.”
 
“K'gome…?” Inuyasha's voice slurred a bit, and he swayed alarmingly. Kirara was there in a moment, rumbling deeply. Sango loped over and helped her to heave Inuyasha onto Kirara's back, and then both girls assisted Miroku on as well, ignoring the neko-youkai's low grumble.
 
“Miroku, please don't let Inuyasha fall!”
 
The monk chuckled mirthlessly as he took a firm grip on fire-rat. “Kagome-sama, I know full well what my fate would be at your hands if your hanyou was injured further due to my carelessness.”
 
Kirara growled, fixed the girls with a narrowed eye that plainly stated sit tight and don't move, before carefully rising into the air. Sango and Kagome watched the fire-cat with her precious cargo disappear over the trees, then of one accord collected the Hiraikotsu and Miroku's staff and huddled together under a barrier until Kirara returned for them. They sat in silence for a moment, until Kagome decided there was no time like the present for tackling the issue of what had gone wrong between the slayer and the monk.
 
“Sango? That was a great idea, putting the poison into the ground…”
 
“Thanks.”
 
“Um…Sango?”
 
“Yes?” Kagome felt the slayer tense up.
 
“What's going on between you and Miroku?”
 
“Nothing.” There was dark anger behind the flatly stated word.
 
“Uh…why?”
 
“What do you mean, why? It should be obvious! Why would I be interested in a lecherous...”
 
“Miroku hasn't been groping you or propositioning you…or anybody else, for that matter, for quite some time…”
 
“Except for that little girl.” Kagome winced at the tone of voice.
 
“He left her behind, without spending the night to give her `something to remember him by'. I think he restrained himself out of deference to you.”
 
“If you call how he draped himself all over her `restraint'…but in comparison to you and Inuyasha, yes, I guess you could call him `restrained'.”
 
“Point taken.”
 
Silence fell heavily inside the small crackling shell of pink light, and it wasn't broken even after Kirara returned for them and brought them back to their men. Shippo was already busy with hot water and rags and their meagre medical supplies. Miroku was obviously hopeful that Sango would tend to him, but after a cursory glance and a compliment to Shippo about his handiwork, she rolled herself up in a bedroll and closed her eyes. Kirara didn't revert to her kitten form; rather, she stayed large and formidable, taking on guard duties for her humans as she settled herself near Sango.
 
Kagome and Shippo took on an unconscious Inuyasha, so at least there wasn't any complaining as they partially undressed him and cleaned him up. Under his fire-rat, he was a mass of cuts and bruises. Cleaning and covering the gaping hole in his stomach took up most of the remaining bandages, leaving very few to dress his other wounds. Kagome bit her lip to the point of blood as she tucked Inuyasha into a bedroll with the kitsune's help. She brushed his silver bangs off of his forehead and pressed a kiss to his brow, starting a bit at the sound of the monk's voice.
 
“Get some sleep, Kagome-sama. I'm sure Kirara will take you and Inuyasha on ahead to Kaede-sama's village at first light. Sango-sama and I will bring the horses; I estimate that we are only two days away, so long as Naraku does not have any other incarnations he would like us to meet.”
 
Kagome smiled at the monk and nodded, wrapped herself in her bedroll and curled around her hanyou, listening to his heartbeat thumping through his abused ribs. Shippo put away the last bits and pieces of gear, and snuggled against Kirara's shoulder. Except for the crackling fire, quiet descended on the group for the first time in days.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
A/N: And you know it ain't gonna stay quiet for long…there'll be shrapnel flying in the next chapter…