InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Phoenix Blade: Time Lapse ❯ Collateral Damage ( Chapter 45 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: Don't own…don't sue. Tormenting them purely for my own sadistic pleasure. All characters and most situations owned by Rumiko Takahashi and Shogakukan Publishing.
 
A/N: Gonna rearrange a few episodes to suit myself…(whistles innocently)
 
Lemon fluff as well as bawdy insinuations flying…oops, some coarse language as well.
 
The Phoenix Blade: Time Lapse
Chapter 45: Collateral Damage
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
Present Day
 
“Dog-boy, don't you dare make me say `it'!” A feminine voice veered perilously close to irritated-and-dangerous.
 
“Keh! I actually prefer to make you scream it…” A drawling masculine voice stoked the heated response.
 
“I was not referring to your given name, and you damn well know it!” A booted foot stamped for emphasis. “Honestly, Inuyasha, sometimes you drive me crazy!”
 
“Good. Gotta get some of my own back, wench.”
 
What?”
 
“Do you know how beautiful you look when your eyes flash like that?”
 
“If you say it turns you on…I'll scream!” Kagome was fairly shaking at this point, and definitely not thinking clearly, or she could have predicted Inuyasha's reaction.
 
The hanyou smirked, a sardonic eyebrow arched. “Promise?”
 
Aagh!” The girl grabbed a double-fistful of her own dark hair and tugged, her eyes screwed shut and face twisted in a grimace. Inuyasha chortled, took advantage of her distraction, and pounced. In a trice, he had her trapped up against a support beam of the well-house and was kissing her thoroughly while subjecting her hips to a leisurely slow grind. He kept kissing her until he was reasonably sure she wouldn't `sit' him, if the way she finally melted in his arms was any indication. When he finally let her breathe, she glared at him purely on principle. “Damn you and your fuzzy-brain-inducing kisses…”
 
“I'd rather kiss you than fight with you, wench.”
 
“We were fighting? Oh, right…” Her grey eyes started to twinkle. “Just what, exactly, has turned you into this Miroku-level lech, Inuyasha?”
 
“Keh! Don't compare me to him…I'm only groping you, for starters.”
 
“It's happening an awful lot…”
 
The hanyou wound several black strands around a claw, his amber eyes gone suddenly dark and smouldering. He slowly moved in, until his lips were just grazing her cheekbone. “I can't help it…I finally have you all to myself, no interruptions…and I want to make the most of it.”
 
“You tend to forget that humans don't have the stamina of hanyous…I need to eat, sleep and have a shower once in a while.”
 
“I can do all that with you…”
 
“I know…I'm not sure how far we should push the, um, group showers. My mom's been pretty tolerant so far…I still can't believe she suggested it… but I think Ojii-chan may have heard more than he needed to…”
 
“Probably the most excitement he's had in years, now that he's not allowed to annoy me with sutras.”
 
Kagome giggled, and pulled him down for another kiss that went on for quite a while before they parted gently. Inuyasha smiled, his eyes hooded, and traced her swollen lips with a claw. “Come on then, wench. Let's go see if the slayer and the houshi are back yet. I'll bet they don't mind taking a couple of days off, either.”
 
She leaned in and kissed his chin, an action that made him groan quietly and press her up against the wall again for a few blissful moments, and then he backed up and scooped her quiver off the floor from where she'd dropped it at the beginning of their `discussion'. The slight change in altitude reminded him that he still had water in his ear, and Kagome grinned cheekily while she watched him shake his head sharply, silver flying everywhere.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Once they'd found the inclination to venture outside the hut earlier that morning, they'd first returned the breakfast vessels to Kaede, and while Kagome had another cup of tea with the old miko, Inuyasha had run up to the Goshinboku to retrieve the bag of supplies.
 
He'd crept stealthily up to the edge of the clearing, tensed, ready to deal with an angry Kikyo, and had been very relieved to see that she was gone. Sheathing the Tetsusaiga, he strode up to examine the damage to the venerable tree's bark made by Kagome's arrows, and a slight smile quirked his lips at the thought of the undead miko being pinned to the tree for fifty years. Would solve a few of our problems…wonder where she flitted off to?
 
Back at the hut, he took over filling in the sketchy outline of their latest confrontations with Naraku's incarnations that Kagome had previously told Kaede while he was still unconscious. The girl let Inuyasha do most of the talking, still not quite trusting herself to stay calm over what had happened between Kikyo and the hanyou while she concentrated on unpacking the duffle bag.
 
“Ye released a tremendous amount of energy, Kagome-sama. That level of power will have awakened any demon for several leagues… `twil attract them to the village.”
 
Kagome instantly felt rather guilty. “I'm very sorry, Kaede-sama. I nearly lost control of myself…”
 
“Ye were thoroughly provoked, lass. I wish my sister had not caused such pain.”
 
The younger miko smiled wanly, and fiddled with her sleeve. Her attention became very keen, however, when she heard Inuyasha repeat to Kaede what he'd told Kikyo before leaving her still pinned to the Goshinboku; Kagome noted that his eyes became somewhat tinted with red, and his knuckles where they gripped the Tetsusaiga were white. Taking that as a cue, she scooted over beside him and laid her head on his shoulder, folding her fingers over his on the sword's scabbard. He pressed a kiss on the crown of her head; Kagome noticed Kaede's eye sharpened and steeled herself for the inevitable question.
 
“I take it ye are fully mated now?” Her tone was curious.
 
“Hell, yes!” Kagome winced a bit at Inuyasha's vocal enthusiasm, but she appreciated it all the same. Kaede seemed to relax, and then shook her finger at the hanyou.
 
“Ye could have asked me to find someone to prepare the hut for thee, Inuyasha. Now, what will ye do about pups?”
 
Kagome jumped, and turned a brilliant shade of red; the hanyou just grinned, and left her to it. “Ah, er…it isn't a problem for me, Kaede-sama…”
 
“Ye are infertile?” The old miko's gaze became rather direct. Kagome wished she could transform to Myoga-size and disappear through the floor boards.
 
“N-no…I take a special medicine to prevent conception. When we want to have pups…ah, babies, I'll quit…”
 
“I suspected something of the sort; if thy time can create medicine like this…” she patted the bottles of pain killer affectionately “…I am not surprised that something like this is also possible. What do ye plan to do now?”
 
Kagome was very glad of the channel-change. “Wait for Sango and Miroku to arrive, then take a couple of days to get ready for another shard patrol. It looks like we need to renew the village's barrier, at the very least…”
 
“We have plenty of food left, and the first crops are starting to grow. I expect that thy weapons will be necessary to defend the village from demons awakened by thy power.”
 
“Keh! Can always use a few more Jewel shards!” Inuyasha grinned carelessly.
 
Kaede eyed him thoughtfully. “Inuyasha, when ye spoke of my sister, thy demonic aura flared noticeably. Does this relate to the Tetsusaiga being broken?”
 
The hanyou blinked. “It did?” He turned to look at Kagome; she nodded slightly. “Um, my demonic blood has popped out a few times since Goshinki, but Kagome has been able to bring it back under control.”
 
“Thy feelings for her must indeed be strong, if she has that sort of ability to calm thee.”
 
Inuyasha gave a genuine smile, one that softened his face as he reached an arm around his girl and squeezed her. “What can I say? I love the wench.” Kagome blushed again, but smiled brightly at the old miko, who chuckled, and poured more tea before changing the conversation to a discussion about rumours of shards that had reached the village over the last few weeks.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Since Inuyasha figured that Miroku and Sango wouldn't be back until late afternoon, they had returned to Kagome's time. After a pleasant lunch with her mother and grandfather, Kagome had excused herself from the table to have a shower. When Ojii-chan had grumbled off to the shrine shop, Inuyasha had been somewhat taken aback when Mrs. Higurashi blandly suggested he join his mate in order to save water. He turned the same colour as his fire-rat, sure he'd misunderstood her, but she'd patted his shoulder and whispered that she could remember being a newlywed.
 
Kagome had been rather startled at his arrival under the showerhead; he'd clamped his hand over her mouth to prevent the screech that he was sure was forming. Her eyes were wide with shock, but they instantly narrowed and became a little silver-tinged; he grinned shamelessly at her. “Your mom suggested it…” Inuyasha nearly burst out laughing at how her eyes popped wide open and her whole body froze. Instead, he hooked an arm around her slender waist and pulled her flush against him, then replaced his hand with his lips.
 
Doing it standing up is rather a challenge on several levels, they discovered, but agreed it was an interesting learning experience.
 
Which led them to the present moment in the well-house, with Inuyasha still trying to clear the water out of his ears. Giving up, he tucked her under his arm and jumped both of them over the rim.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
Sengoku Jidai
 
The two of them were engaged in a perimeter check of the village boundaries, identifying spots where fresh sutras as well as arrows were required between smooching sessions, when Kirara's demonic signature burst through the barrier over Kaede's hut, and Shippo carolled out a cheerful greeting. Inuyasha raised his hands to his mouth and hallooed back; the fire-cat veered towards them and Shippo plopped onto the hanyou's shoulder briefly before launching himself at Kagome. Kirara landed behind Inuyasha and became a kitten; she sauntered forward to stand beside him.
 
Kagome caught the kit on the fly and swung him around a few times, before squeezing him breathless. Shippo had to suck in air…and then he stopped cold, his green eyes growing so wide they nearly took over his face. He lunged forward, stuck his nose inside her tunic and inhaled deeply. Kagome was somewhat taken aback when the kitsune's head popped up, he glared at her, and then in a flash of russet, dove at the hanyou and bit him soundly on the ear before disappearing up the nearest tree, leaving two befuddled adults staring after him.
 
“Fuck, runt…what the hell?” Inuyasha rubbed his abused appendage and started after the kit. Kirara forestalled him; she transformed and sprang up into the foliage…and re-emerged a few moments later bearing a struggling fox kit in her jaws. She kept a tight grip on him; Kagome was pretty sure Shippo's tail as well as the seat of his hakama were clenched in her teeth. Kirara stalked right over to Inuyasha, and gave Shippo a firm shake, growling in her chest.
 
“No! I won't! Don't wanna!” Shippo's defiant yowls turned to wails when the fire-cat shook him a little harder, and growled a little louder. Kagome sensed that if she intervened now, she'd mess up something that the neko-youkai was trying to impress on the kit. From the evil grin creeping across Inuyasha's face, he was rather enjoying it. Shippo tried to look pathetic, hanging limply in Kirara's jaws, but the cat let loose with a full-throated growl and really shook him once more before dropping him on his head at Inuyasha's feet.
 
The kit still tried to escape; he was pinned, and not very gently, by a large black paw. Now Kirara's ears were flattened as she snarled right in Shippo's face; the kit finally gave up and whimpered something quietly. The fire-cat was not satisfied with that, and poked him imperiously with her paw. Thoroughly cowed, the kit stood up and bowed to both Inuyasha and Kagome. “Forgive me, honoured father and honoured mother; I have not been respectful, as a proper son should be.”
 
Kagome's jaw was on the ground at Shippo's words; Inuyasha's face was lit with what could only be described as unholy glee. “I'd say you owe Kirara an apology too, runt, for making her chase after you.”
 
Shippo turned and bowed to the fire-cat, who rumbled before becoming small again. She fixed the kit with a beady red eye before stalking away, her twin tails still a little fluffy from agitation. Kagome glanced between a rather satisfied hanyou and a resentful kit. “Would somebody mind telling me what the hell is going on?”
 
“Kirara just reminded Shippo that he is not only part of our pack, but he should also show proper respect to the alpha dog and bitch when greeting them.”
 
Kagome cocked her head on the side and closely examined the kit's body language, which was still screaming `don't wanna!' “Do you mind telling us why you threw that tantrum, Shippo?”
 
“He mated you!”
 
“We mated over a month ago, and I thought we dealt with this. I seem to recall a conversation about you not wanting to call Inuyasha `dad'…”
 
Shippo growled, and then squealed when the hanyou's claw flicked his ear. “Don't speak to your mother in that tone, runt, or I'll let Kirara really take a round out of you.” The kit hung his head.
 
Kagome crouched until she was nearly eye-level with the young fox youkai, and searched his face, noting his despondent posture. “Shippo, what's this really all about? Something other than us being mated is bugging you, isn't it?”
 
Shippo formed a pout, peered up at her from under his bangs, and shuffled his paws a bit before finally blurting out, “When you have pups, you won't want me around.”
 
Kagome was so taken aback that she just gaped at him for a moment, and then grabbed him in a rib-cracking hug that left him gasping. She shook him a little bit before hugging him again. “Don't you even think that, Shippo! I'll love you just as much then as I do now, so don't say stupid things.” She crushed him again until he `oomphed', and then the kit was hugging her around the neck.
 
The hanyou watched the proceedings with an arched eyebrow, and just managed not to act too startled when Shippo detached himself from Kagome, and scampered over to shove his red head upward into Inuyasha's hand. The hanyou relented and ruffled the kit's bangs, woofing softly at him. Shippo looked intently up at him, and then sprang up onto his shoulder, hugging him tightly. “Oi, brat…don't get all mushy on me.” But he still lifted a hand to give the kit a gentle squeeze.
 
Kagome watched the interaction, her heart rather leaden. Oh, Shippo…you won't have to worry about competitionfor centuries… A second, far more nerve-wracking revelation raced in on the heels of the first, and she actually gasped out loud, earning her interested looks from the other two. I-I'm mated to Yashita, too…damn, damned, damnable! This could be awkward
 
“Oi, wench? You've gone a little pale…”
 
“Nothing…brought you some sweets, Shippo, plus some dried fruit for our porridge …” Shippo was abruptly very, very happy; Kagome tucked herself under Inuyasha's arm, and the three walked across the village towards the main path, in the direction the kit indicated that Miroku and Sango would appear.
 
“How was the trip back, Ship-dip?”
 
“We stopped at an inn for the night, and…oh, yeah…”
 
“Oh, yeah…what?”
 
“Houshi and Sango were snuggled up on the same futon the next morning.”
 
“S-same futon, but different blankets, right?” Kagome was stunned at the slayer's sudden about-face.
 
Shippo grinned toothily. “Nope. Same blanket, too. I bailed and slept with Kirara. Didn't want to catch anything worse than a feel from Miroku.”
 
Inuyasha snorted suddenly. “Must be spring…”
 
“How's that, dog-boy?”
 
He smirked. “Mating season, of course.”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
That night
 
Kaede had congratulated both couples on sorting themselves out, and made the observation that settling things between them made them stronger opponents against Naraku. After a lively dinner in Kaede's hut, Sango had pulled Kagome aside, but found things were too confined for the topic she wanted to discuss. Inuyasha saved her any awkwardness. “Take Sango up to our place, wench; it ought to be warmed up enough by now.”
 
Two dark heads swivelled towards him; he smirked from where he lounged next to Kaede's fire pit. “When did you…?” Kagome wondered.
 
“While you girls made dinner, I went up and started the fire. Go on; I've some things to discuss with houshi and baba. Runt, you stay here.” He caught Shippo by the tail when the kit started to spring towards Kagome. “You need to be part of the manly discussion…”
 
“And that makes me…?” Kaede inquired dryly. On that note, the two girls slipped out, chuckling. Sango left Hiraikotsu, but both carried their katanas. Despite being well within the protected boundaries, which had been renewed by the efforts of Miroku and Kagome that afternoon, their weapons were as much a part of them as their own hands. They headed out across the field to the shed, the light from inside glowing faintly around the doorframe; Kagome made a mental note to look into some weatherstripping.
 
“Come on in, Sango…it was tidy this morning…” Kagome pushed the panel open and indicated that the slayer should precede her, then hopped in and closed the door. Both girls removed their footwear in silence and sat down on the pallet; Kagome poked the brazier a bit and added another chunk of charcoal. The silence lengthened a little, and then Kagome noticed that Sango was rather pink-cheeked. “Are you okay, Sango?”
 
“Y-yes, thank you, Kagome…” More silence, and the slayer closely resembled a certain red haori. Kagome watched Sango worry the sleeve of her yukata into a twist, then decided to take the plunge.
 
“Sango, do you want to ask me something?”
 
The slayer jumped nervously, an action that was so out of character that Kagome could only stare at her. “Um, yes…I wish to ask a favour of you, Kagome.”
 
“All right…fire away.”
 
“Miroku and I have come to an understanding…and, um…”
 
“I'd noticed you'd dropped the `sama' from his name.”
 
Sango flashed a shy smile. “Yes, though he's insisting on keeping it added to mine…and yours too.”
 
Kagome smiled back. “Are you getting married?”
 
“No…not until Naraku is destroyed…” While Sango squirmed uncomfortably, the little light bulb went off in Kagome's head, and she grinned. For someone who took out demons the size of houses without batting a hair, it was amazing how something personal could destroy the slayer's confidence.
 
“I'm guessing that this might have something to do with pregnancy prevention?” The relief that flooded Sango's face was palpable; then she blushed furiously while nodding her head rapidly. Kagome chuckled. “I'll see what I can do, Sango. The medicine I use requires a doctor's prescription in my time…hmm…I just thought of someone who might be able to help.” While Kagome dug through her mental closets, looking for the name of Sensei Kosaru's sister, who would be the right age to apply for birth control without raising any eyebrows, she half-listened to Sango's blushing description of the conversation that had cleared the air between her and her houshi.
 
Their conversation ended when Inuyasha shoved the door open, grinning rather broadly at the two of them. Miroku stepped up to the entry and handed Sango down to ground level, then wished them both a gracious good-night. The hanyou closed the door and flopped down on the planking, smirking at his girl. Kagome arched an eyebrow at his expression. “You're looking rather pleased with yourself, dog-boy…what's up? Hey, where's Shippo?”
 
“Keh! Do you honestly think he's gonna sleep out here with us?” His golden eyes were very direct; Kagome turned pink.
 
“It's just that, after what he said today…”
 
“He's our pup, Kagome…Kirara and I have straightened him out a bit on where he fits in the pack. The brat will be okay.”
 
“So…what were the `manly men' and Kaede-sama talking about?”
 
Inuyasha only smirked. “Wouldn't you like to know, wench.”
 
She shot him a look. “Actually, I would like to know.”
 
“You'll just have to wait and see…should we get ready for bed?” This last was uttered very casually, and to make his point, the hanyou stretched languorously, like a red-clad Buyo…which made Kagome yearn suddenly for her warm, soft bed.
 
“Why don't we go through the well…?”
 
“It's warm and private here, koishii. Don't wanna give your ojii-chan heart failure or anything. We can always jump through tomorrow.”
 
She bit her lip, and finally nodded. Anywhere Inuyasha is, will be home she realized. A trip to the Academy was going to be in order to talk to Kosaru, anyways…and who knew what they were going to face, if the demons Kaede expected showed up?
 
Her hanyou gave her a very sexy smile, and prowled around the brazier until he was crouched right in front of her, his claws toying with the fastenings of her tunic. “Need some help with these clips?”
 
“Not really, dog-boy.” she teased while starting on her own obi knot.
 
“Keh! Let me see that…why does everything you wear have to be a challenge?”
 
“If my armour came undone easily, I'd be at a disadvantage against an enemy.”
 
“There's that…” he nodded agreeably, before the obi came loose, and he started on her tunic fasteners. The top ones came open first, and he was about to home in on that spot under her jaw that made her scent spike so deliciously when the stiff collar of her body armour prevented his intentions and caused a minor explosion. “Dammit, wench, you wear too many damn layers with too many fucking fasteners!”
 
“I've said it before, too; ease of exit wasn't the first thing on the designer's minds…”
 
“I'd like to give them a piece of my mind…”
 
“How `bout just giving me a piece of your…”
 
“Keh! With pleasure, wench…as soon as I can peel you out of these fucking clothes!”
 
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
Next morning
 
“Kagome! Look out! Hiraikotsu!” The slayer hurled her weapon at the oni, which was in the process of taking a swipe at Kagome with its huge clawed hand and neatly bisected it, sending blood spraying.
 
“Sango! Hit the ground!” The arrow that she had charged with intention to fire at another target, she now used to draw a bead on a third oni closing in on Sango's position. Her aim was true with her battle-sight; as far as she could tell, she'd struck a bulls-eye on the Jewel shard glowing in the creature's chest. Yelling from behind her, and a squelching sound that meant the Tetsusaiga had completed a swipe through bone and muscle, indicated that the leader of the vicious creatures was down.
 
“Is that it? Did we get all of them?” The slayer wiped her hands on her thighs and swung around in a slow circle, searching the forest for any other threat.
 
“One used the distraction created by his fellows to try to circle behind you, but a sutra stopped him cold. Here is the shard, Kagome-sama.” Miroku extended a small folded cloth held gingerly in his fingertips; Kagome took it from him and tapped the corrupted shard out into her palm. After it glowed pink, she fished inside her tunic and body armour for the pouch.
 
“Were all the shards in their chests, Kagome?” Sango was using her sword to poke through the remains of the oni she'd cut in half.
 
“That one, yes, the one I shot, yes…but I think the leader had it in the forehead.”
 
“Needed brains more than strength,” Inuyasha scoffed, cleaning his weapon on the oni's loincloth. Kagome retrieved the shard from the chest of her opponent, ignoring how the creature dissolved into bubbling goo around her boots, then helped Sango locate and cut out the third. Finally, Inuyasha used his claw to slice open the leader's scalp, and the final shard was purified and safely stashed in the small bag.
 
Kagome weighed it in her hand. “Not a bad day's work, guys. The more we have, the less Naraku can grab. Maybe my blowing off some energy wasn't such a bad thing after all.”
 
“It would have been tragic for the village, though, if we were not here to protect it from those attracted by your uh, display.” The monk smiled serenely at the girl, his fingers lightly entwined with Sango's. Kagome did a double-take. This new intimacy was something she was having trouble getting used to, but she was keeping her peace.
 
The softness in Sango's eyes spoke volumes, though, and the way Miroku smiled at her, made even Inuyasha hold back any teasing. Kagome rolled her shoulders and looked thoughtfully down at the lightly smoking puddles. “If you can handle anything else here, I think I'd better pop through the well to see about more supplies. How long do you think we'll be gone this time?”
 
“Couple of weeks; no more than three, I would expect, Kagome-sama.” Miroku began leading the way back through the barrier.
 
Over breakfast, they'd discussed a short patrol that followed a curving trajectory towards the west and looped back to the village. Now that the sutras were re-strengthened, Kaede declared her confidence that the villagers could handle anything that came their way while the four were gone.
 
Inuyasha looped his arm across her shoulders and guided her after the monk, who was conversing quietly with Sango. “You can go on ahead, koishii…have a shower and all that…I'll come through in a few hours once we've organized shit around here.”
 
“Walk me up to the well?”
 
“Wanna ride?” his eyes sparkled, especially when she smiled brightly at him and nodded. He crouched in front of her, and Kagome happily cuddled against his back, pressing a kiss to the nape of his neck as she swept his hair aside. Grasping her thighs tightly, he caught up to Miroku and Sango. “Taking Kagome home…back shortly.”
 
He took the long route; why not? First time in a long while he'd been able to run free with his girl on his back; spring was in the air, and he was actually mated to her (he still couldn't quite believe his good luck)…so he burned off some of that exhilaration by taking her flying. By the time they landed in the well meadow, Kagome was pink-cheeked and giggling. Without putting her down, Inuyasha leapt them over the rim of the well and into the blue.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
Present Day
 
Inuyasha came into the house to say a very polite `good morning' to her mother, and then kissed her on the cheek before he left again, warning her to be ready to travel because they would leave that afternoon. Kagome watched his silver hair swish all the way across the courtyard, until he vanished into the gloom of the well house.
 
Mrs. Higurashi hugged Kagome again. “I didn't really have a chance to talk to you yesterday…” Kagome turned rather pink again and became quite flustered. Her mother just chuckled. “I'll say again what I said yesterday to your husband. I remember being a newlywed, too, and we'll leave it at that…but, dear, just know that the well-shaft does tend to amplify noises.” At that, Kagome turned the colour of a very ripe tomato and was completely mortified. However, there was no relief in sight. Her mother gave a very un-motherly smirk and pulled her into the living room, where the embarrassed girl was confronted with the sight of a spectacular floral arrangement taking up a prominent location on a low table.
 
“Um…that's…really beautiful, mom. Who, er, gave it to you?”
 
Mrs. Higurashi shook her head, smiling knowingly at her daughter. “It isn't for me, Kagome…but if Inuyasha asks, it's probably safer to say that the Emperor sent it, rather than Yashita.”
 
It took Kagome's brain a few moments to make out exactly what her mother said, and then she staggered. “From…Yash? Why?” Even as she said it, with a sinking sensation, she remembered again that she was now mated to two hanyous. She instantly developed a headache and groped for a cushion to plop down on as Mrs. Higurashi handed her a small, heavy envelope addressed to her in Yashita's distinctive slashing style. Her hands started shaking, but she opened it despite the audience.
 
Koishii,
Our love is both a shield, and a source of strength…never forget this, no matter how desperate the situation appears.
Your hanyou
 
She read it through twice, recognized the warning couched between the lines, and passed it to her mother. “Please keep this for me. I …still have to think about this, how I'm going to cope with both of them…or even if I can.”
 
“Yashita will wait for you to come to him, Kagome…I just thought it was a lovely gesture on his part.”
 
“It is…the flowers are beautiful.” The girl sighed a bit, but she finally smiled at the artfully arranged blossoms, tugged out a particularly beautiful orchid spray and tucked it into the front of her tunic. “Oh! I nearly forgot…I have to phone the Armoury…I have a big favour to ask of someone.”
 
“What kind of favour?”
 
And Kagome found herself blushing furiously again as she explained Sango's request to her mother. When she finally found herself talking to Shimano over the phone, she still blushed…and it wasn't helped at all by his knowing snigger. The kitsune remembered that incident all too well, as a matter of fact, but didn't think he could swing anything for Sango on this trip, as first he'd have to hunt up Kosaru, then have the sensei contact his sister to set the ball rolling.
 
Kagome hesitated, and bit her lip. “Um, Shippo?”
 
On the other end of the line, brown eyes flickered briefly to green under closed lids at her use of his `real' name. His voice was very gentle. “Yes, okaa-san?”
 
“I, um…about what you said that morning…about not wanting you…”
 
“It's okay. I was a bratty kid, already had lost one family, and rather liked being the only child in our pack. The thought of even cuter competition made me say something I shouldn't have.” He listened to the young woman breathe for a few moments, and then he sensed Yashita's presence in the Armoury corridor. Lunging over the wide counter, he frantically signalled to the hanyou, who paused, eyebrow arched. “Hey, Kagome…did you like the flowers?” Yashita willingly drew near, when he realized who Shimano was talking to.
 
“Oh! Yes…they're really beautiful. Could you…thank Yash for me when you see him?”
 
The kitsune grinned impishly. “Here…I'll let you do it yourself. Talk to you later, okaa-san.” Ignoring her gasp, he handed the receiver to Yashita, and winked.
 
“Hello, koishii.” Yashita's intimate purr sent a couple of illicit thrills through her, which started her inner turmoil again, but she dampened down on both feelings, hard.
 
“Good morning…koibito. Th-thanks for the flowers. I was really surprised…”
 
“Sessaki will have a fit, but I wanted to send you some kind of recognition of our mating.” His voice dropped down into an even lower register on the last few words, sending warmth running through her veins and flustering her not just a little bit.
 
“Yash…if you knew that we would…ah, solve things…after the, um, `dead bitch' incident…why were you so broken up about it?” Kagome wriggled the fingertips of her free hand under her gauntlet and started to worry the hair bracelets.
 
There was a long pause; static lightly crackled on the line. “I was afraid that something would change, your response would be different…and I would never win you back. I was devastated by your words, your look…it was worse than being `Wind Scar'-red and hit with a dose of Sess' poison.”
 
“I'm…glad we sorted it out.”
 
“So'm I, aisai. Love you.” He grinned at the blush he knew was forming on her cheeks, and was very gratified by her next words.
 
“L-love you too, Inuyasha.” Kagome paused, then ventured onward. “Uh…do we have another challenge to face coming up? Your note held a warning…”
 
“Just remember that I will never harm you, no matter what form I'm in.”
 
“Oh…another chance to interact with your youkai, huh?”
 
“Can't say anything more, koishii.”
 
“I know…thanks. I'd better get moving…we're leaving on a shard patrol this afternoon. See you soon.”
 
“Hope so. I'm looking forward to acquiring another item of clothing from you.” He chuckled at the squeak she emitted before handing the receiver back to Shimano. A genuine smile lit up his handsome features as he visualized the blush that was probably decorating Kagome's cheeks right now, and he went off down the corridor with a bounce in his step, whistling cheerfully, much to the astonishment of several cadets.
 
On her end, when Kagome hung up the phone, she was indeed blushing prettily, but she tried to focus on pondering the cosmic consequences of having a descendent procure birth control for an ancestor rather than her other conundrum of being some sort of polyandrous time-traveller. That just made her headache worse, but later, after a hot shower and some of her mother's cooking, she was able to smile happily at Inuyasha when he bounded into the house carrying three empty packs and sporting a wide grin.
 
“Oi, wench…what's with the posy?” He pointed a claw at the inoffensive orchids, palest pink against the grey leather. She'd thought about putting them in her hair after her shower, but then decided to keep them decorating her tunic.
 
“Aren't they pretty?”
 
He was already squinting over her shoulder. “Keh…That's really something!” He circled the flower arrangement, inspecting the assortment of blooms, sniffing at it warily. Kagome stifled a giggle, since he rather looked like he expected it to bite him. She was surprised with he reached in and hooked out a dark pink blossom framed by glossy leaves, studying it intently for a moment before bringing it to her. Inuyasha extracted the spray of orchids from her tunic and carefully tucked the other flower in its place, an odd expression on his face.
 
“What is it?” she asked softly, reaching up to brush her fingers through his bangs.
 
His voice was gruff. “I don't remember much about my mother, but I do know that this was her favourite flower. It suits you, too.”
 
Kagome glanced down and fingered the camellia's soft petals. “Why do you say that?”
 
“You both have the courage to love what others fear.” The tender expression in his amber eyes made her heart skip a beat; she reached up and kissed him softly…right in front of her Ojii-chan.
 
After another blistering blushing session, which her grandfather enjoyed far too much, she and Inuyasha set to loading the packs with fresh supplies. When she expressed concern for the horses' well-being, he reassured her that they'd been checked over carefully when Miroku and Sango had returned, and they were in good shape.
 
Within the hour, they were ready to go back through the well; before they left, Kagome went back to the floral arrangement. She thought that Sango would enjoy the spray of orchids, and she chose a small handful of spring lilies for Kaede, tucking both securely within her tunic. She kissed her mother and her grandfather, shouldered a pack, and they were off.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
Sengoku Jidai
Oneuneventful week later…only one more shard collected…
 
“How much farther to your village?”
 
“Over the next hill, sama. Thank you so very much for the assistance! I could not have moved Ojii-san myself.”
 
“It's on our way…have there been any demons bothering your village recently?”
 
“No, sama. Just reports of a roving group of bandits that are said to be invincible.”
 
“The fuckers haven't met up with us, then.” Inuyasha chose that moment to pipe up, his ears a little flattened. He was not happy at being delayed by Kagome's insistence that they help the old man currently being propped on Juhi by Miroku, Kirara riding pillion. Kagome had the teenage grandson with her on Arashi, Sango led Juhi, and Shippo perched on Inuyasha's shoulder.
 
“A run-in with some nasty ronin would slow us down as well, so we'll hope we don't make their acquaintance.” Kagome winked at the hanyou; he pointedly looked in the other direction, his hands folded inside his sleeves.
 
Miroku reached over with his staff and lightly jabbed Inuyasha with the tip. “Doing good deeds always puts you in a foul mood for some reason. Look upon it as earning Buddha's gratitude.”
 
“Yeah, yeah…whatever.”
 
They did reach the village within the hour, and the grandson fussed over the limping old man until he was settled on the ground in front of his house. He then bowed very deeply to the travellers. “May I offer you our hospitality for the night in thanks?”
 
Inuyasha answered before the others even opened their mouths. “No. We still have some distance to cover. Let's go.”
 
Kagome gave him the evil eye, but edged Arashi closer, smiling at the young man. “We were happy to help. Farewell.”
 
“Good-bye, sama! Thank you again!”
 
She waved and urged her mare to a trot, to catch up with the others. Miroku and Sango had switched places; the slayer now rode and the houshi walked at the gelding's head. “What's wrong, Miroku?”
 
“Despite your best efforts, Kagome-sama, I simply do not feel that Buddha intended me to be a samurai. Walking as a mode of covering ground suits my temperament far better.”
 
“All right, houshi-doushi. So long as you can keep up with a certain impatient hanyou, we won't have any problems. Sango, hold Juhi back so he doesn't chase after Arashi.” She grinned cheerfully and put her heels to the mare, enjoying the feel of the mare's haunches bunching in response, and then they launched. As they flew past Inuyasha and Shippo, she caught a glimpse of startled amber eyes and wide green ones, but she kept going, leaning low over Arashi's neck, letting the mare lengthen her stride until they were flying over the ground.
 
Finally, she regretfully pulled up on the reins, slowly bringing the mare to a near-complete stop before walking her in a circle and starting back the way they came. No hell-bent-for-leather speed now; an easy, ground-eating canter, Kagome relaxing in the saddle and enjoying the spring afternoon. She found her companions not much farther along than when she left them, blocking the centre of the pathway. Inuyasha was scowling, but that was normal.
 
“What's up?”
 
“I smelt something.” There was an air about the way he said it that instantly put her on alert; Sango was already in her slayer's uniform. Kagome sat still, the spring sunshine suddenly uncomfortably hot on her leather-clad back, while she waited for his final pronouncement. Inuyasha stood very still, head tilted slightly up, eyes closed as he deeply inhaled. “Smoke…blood…lots of it…coming from the direction of the village where we left that kid and old man.” He snapped his eyes wide open, then levelled his gaze at the monk. “Come on, Miroku, Kirara. We'll head in first; Sango, Kagome…you're the back-up.”
 
Shippo jumped down from Inuyasha's shoulder and scooted up Arashi's leg until he was tucked against Kagome's back, peering around her expectantly. The hanyou bounded over, stole a kiss, and then took off at top speed, Miroku following in his wake on Kirara. Sango glanced in her direction. “Let's go, Kagome…I hope it wasn't a demon attack.”
 
“Inuyasha would have said so. Maybe…the bandits? Shit…” Without another word, both girls put the heels to their horses and thundered back the way they had come.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Inuyasha and Miroku hit the edge of the cultivated fields, and both nearly gagged at what they saw. Thick, black, oily smoke boiled skyward from the flaming habitations; the bodies of the men were scattered, limbs hideously contorted, rivulets of blood running and pooling among the freshly dug furrows, ready for planting a harvest that would never come. The cries and wailing of the surviving women and girls led them to the other side of the devastation…and made their blood boil. Apparently, even the young children and babies had been slaughtered.
 
The pillaging was in full swing; however, the raping had yet to begin. Miroku went in swiping left and right with his staff; Kirara leapt after him, tossing fully grown, heavily armoured men out of her path like toys. Inuyasha snarled and tore Tetsusaiga out of its sheathe, readying it for some kind, any kind of strike…when an unwelcome scent struck his nose.
 
“Oi! Miroku! There's a demon in there somewhere…”
 
“I sensed the aura as well…there!” Hooves clopped, and an armoured figure astride a magnificent white horse, bearing an enormous out-of-proportion battle axe obscenely ornamented with clumps of human hair and filigreed with blood, loomed out of the veil of smoke. The newcomer insolently flicked his red eyes over Inuyasha, taking in the silver hair, the ears and the large sword resting on the ground.
 
“That's an interesting blade, boy…I believe I like it passing well. Turn it over and I may spare your life.” The drawling voice instantly set Inuyasha's teeth on edge.
 
“As if you could even dream of a weapon like this, you scum. Why is a demon hanging out with a rabble like this?” His ears swivelled at Miroku's low voice.
 
“Take care, Inuyasha…something is not quite right about this.” The hanyou nodded sharply to acknowledge he'd heard the warning, without taking his eyes off his opponent.
 
The dark-haired demon passed a gloved hand over his immaculate top-knot. “I find it amusing to enter into their brutal pursuits. Boy, I grow impatient. Hand over the sword.”
 
A very predatory smirk crept across the hanyou's lips, and he hefted the enchanted blade. “Come and take it, fucker…if you can.”
 
The other demon shrugged elegantly. “As you wish.” He dismounted from his horse, and a fawning sycophant led the animal away. Shifting the enormous axe in his hands, he crouched slightly, and then dove at the hanyou, gambling all on a single, mighty swing. Kirara threw herself in front of Miroku as a sharp, almost painful, metallic ringing sound announced the collision of blades…and something whizzed overhead to land with a tremendous crack behind the monk.
 
A large, triangular chunk had been lopped off the axe, and it now stuck upright in the earth, quivering. Inuyasha chuckled darkly. “I'll have that over-size kitchen cleaver and you cut down to size in no time.”
 
“This is rather entertaining! What other tricks do you do, boy?”
 
“You make me sick!” The hanyou lifted Tetsusaiga for an overhead strike and charged in.
 
“You'll be far sicker before I'm done with you, boy…” The demon moved backwards; in an eyeblink, he had seized one of the cowering women and flung her at his opponent. The impact was just enough to rock Inuyasha back on his heels and falter slightly before jumping over the woman. The demon smirked, then inhaled deeply before diving in to spray the hanyou with a vile smelling substance from his mouth, following up with a shallow sweep of his clipped blade.
 
Inuyasha was caught across the midsection by the swipe, and blood went flying. Furious, he slammed Tetsusaiga down, sending a snarling ripple of power at the demon, but it wasn't enough. He was engulfed in a sticky, cloying substance he couldn't identify, the Tetsusaiga wrenched from his hand by a second burst of what-ever-it-was wrapping around the blade and yanking. He heard a shout…and then Miroku was behind him, the staff held diagonally across his body as they were encased inside a double layer of a barrier and a clinging, shifting…cocoon. Fuck. Some kind of insect demon.
 
Kirara took in the situation at a glance and retreated to the edge of the forest to await her mistress.
 
“There! That ought to keep you contained…at least until you melt into ooze. Wait…what is this? A barrier?” The demon leered in at them, smirking triumphantly. “Well, this will be even more entertaining! We should place bets on how long your pathetic barrier will hold…yes, I will enjoy this. You! Bring me that sword!” He gestured, and one unsavoury character scrambled to pick up the scruffy-looking Tetsusaiga, but when the man tried to brush away the sticky silk, he began to scream as his fingers melted away. His master raised an eyebrow. “Do be careful of the cocoon…it is highly toxic. Don't drop the sword, fool!”
 
A second man took the Tetsusaiga away from the whimpering first, and on bended knee presented it to the demon. As soon as he reached for the hilt, the sword bit, hard. Intense crackling energy, complete with blue fireballs, erupted from the hilt, driving him back. He examined his scorched, formerly gloved, palm with distaste, then swung back to the occupants of the cocoon. “Why does your sword reject me, boy? Do I have to wait until you die before I can claim it?”
 
“My Tetsusaiga is choosy about its master, and I guess you just don't make the grade, fucker.” Inuyasha was finding it harder to breathe as the poison spread through his body.
 
“I won't have long to wait, anyways, since my venom will cause you to dissolve from the inside. I wonder which will give way first? The barrier or your body?” He turned his back on the cocoon and indicated that the man should follow him with the Tetsusaiga.
 
“Hey, Gatenmaru-sama! We found some sake!”
 
“Very good, men. Let us enjoy some refreshments while we wait for their pathetic lives to end.” The demon gracefully seated himself on a convenient up-ended barrel, had the sword laid at his feet, and then slanted a look towards the group of terrified women huddling together on the ground. “You…” he crooked his finger at one young woman. “You're a lovely little thing, aren't you? Come here…” She was slow to respond, until she was grasped roughly and thrown at his feet by a hulking thug.
 
Gatenmaru pulled off her kerchief and lifted her by her hair until she was eye-level with him. She quivered in fear, her pupils contracting to pinpricks. He smiled a half-lidded, satisfied smile and reached to caress her cheek lightly before dropping his hand to pull the front of her kosode more fully open. She cried out and recoiled; the evil smile became wider. “Fear makes them taste so much more delicious…,” and then an appendage that could only be very loosely described as a tongue darted out of his mouth and drove into the woman's jugular.
 
Miroku recoiled as the woman's body first tensed, and then went limp, her head lolling bonelessly. The other women screamed in horror and pressed more tightly together into a terrified multicoloured heap. Inuyasha blinked slowly, trying to focus…and what he saw made his stomach flip over. The woman in the demon's grasp was shrivelling as she was literally sucked dry, becoming an empty husk. He couldn't stop himself from vomiting, and it was a mixture of blood and venom that stained the front of his fire-rat.
 
“Inuyasha? Why aren't you healing?” The monk's voice was tight with the strain of holding the barrier.
 
“Mus' be the poison the fuck'r sprayed me with…” Inuyasha felt himself slipping towards unconsciousness, his heartbeat sluggish. He could barely raise his head when he heard another woman scream.
 
“That bastard…” Miroku ground his teeth, and then they were both distracted by a familiar shout. “Oh, no…there's too many of them for Sango and Kagome-sama to handle by themselves…dammit!
 
Kagome and Sango were both astride Kirara, Kagome in front with her bow drawn tight despite her equally slowing heartbeat, and Sango readying the Hiraikotsu. “Kagome! Houshi and Inuyasha must be trapped inside that cocoon thing…”
 
“There's a demon here, too…that dark guy sitting over there…what in hell is he doing to those women?”
 
Gatenmaru took in the fiery neko-youkai and its passengers, then dropped his latest victim and stood up. He gestured to several of his men who had picked up their spears. “Bring down that cat…I do believe that I wish to make the acquaintance of its lovely passengers, especially the one in grey. She looks especially delectable…”
 
Release me, hanyou!
Don't hurt…
I will protect our bitch and our pack!
No…
I cannot heal you, unless you let me out, dammit!
K'gome…
 
Prepare for death, fuckers!
 
“No! Inuyasha…dammit all to the seventh hell!” Miroku's frustration level peaked just as the hanyou slumped down, and the bandits let loose with the first flight of spears. He noted that at least three went down with arrows in them…and then a powerful demonic aura inside his barrier sent him reeling back onto his heels. The next thing he knew, he was looking at the sky.
 
Sango was yanking a spear out of Hiraikotsu, which she had used as a shield while Kagome fired her arrows at the bandits, when both girls froze in open-mouthed shock. The cocoon exploded violently, and they had a brief glimpse of an airborne hanyou…equipped with a demonic aura that easily eclipsed that of the bemused demon on the ground.
 
And then the slaughter began.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
A/N: Up next week…Sesshomaru doing something shocking…