InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Phoenix Blade: Time Lapse ❯ Berserker ( Chapter 46 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: Don't own…don't sue. Tormenting them purely for my own sadistic pleasure. Nearly all characters and most situations owned by Rumiko Takahashi and Shogakukan Publishing.
 
A/N: Thanks to everyone who has welcomed me to the Inuyasha sandbox on LiveJournal! I feel very, very loved…
 
This chapter might be unpleasant for some readers who are not fans of Demon!Inuyasha, and prefer not to be reminded of his less-than-savoury aspects. Like everything else I've done in this fic, there's method to my madness, so bear with me…
 
Heavily referencing the manga for the friendly little dogfight…
 
Fic's rated `M' for citrus, coarse language and violence, and this chapter has a heavy dose of gore. You were warned.
 
The Phoenix Blade: Time Lapse
Chapter 46: Berserker
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
The cocoon exploded violently, and they had a brief glimpse of an airborne hanyou…equipped with a demonic aura that easily eclipsed that of the bemused demon on the ground.
 
And then the slaughter began.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
Sengoku Jidai
 
Sesshomaru hesitated the very, very tiniest bit in his measured stride, his head turning ever so slightly to the right, his nostrils widening. That scent… The taint of smoke and death had been faintly apparent most of the last hour or so, but now…
 
The whelp has transformed.
 
“Jaken. Protect Rin.” A flash streaked towards the horizon, where a tendril of smoke marred the bright spring sky.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Kirara hovered above the carnage, Kagome and Sango watching in horror as fat red drops spattered across the ground below like rain in Inuyasha's wake. The cluster of bandits that had launched their spears at the fire-cat and her passengers were the first to go down in a welter of blood and flesh, and then the silver-haired demon straightened, cracked his knuckles and faced a blandly amused opponent.
 
“Kirara…take us down so that I can protect Miroku…” Kagome understood that Sango meant from Inuyasha, not necessarily the bandits or Gatenmaru. They landed softly behind the injured monk, and in an instant, Sango was crouching over him, the Hiraikotsu angled to deflect an attack. Kagome slid off the fire-cat, never taking her eyes from the inu-youkai, her mind going a million miles an hour, turning over ideas on how to stop him, to make him transform back.
 
He was too far away to use her power, and she had no doubt that if she stepped into the battle-zone, something very unpleasant would happen…probably to her. While she powered up an arrow and fitted it to her bow, planning on taking a shot at his opponent, she spotted the Tetsusaiga at the feet of the dark demon, and instantly knew part of the story. At that moment, Inuyasha turned his head and locked scarlet eyes on her. Kagome nervously licked her lips and opened her mouth to call to him, but he spoke first in a harsh, rumbling growl.
 
“Bitch, stand down. This is my prey.”
 
Her voice died in her throat; she numbly nodded, releasing the bowstring, but began trying to figure out how to get the Tetsusaiga and return it to Inuyasha. Those nascent plans instantly changed when the inu-youkai barked sharply at her and then turned his attention back to Gatenmaru.
 
That demon smirked lazily. “I see…that human wench is your female? Interesting that you would transform on her behalf…wouldn't you rather make a meal of her?” The emphasis he placed on that particular word, and the insinuating smile on his thin lips nearly set Kagome off, until she noticed Inuyasha's predatory stance.
 
“Did you say something about my bitch, fucker?” The cracking of knuckles echoed across the vicinity.
 
The demon straightened, stretching, and then squared up to the hanyou. “You dare to challenge Gatenmaru, mutt? You need a reminder of your proper place…” Long, feathery antennae sprouted from his forehead, and then his entire humanoid appearance vanished in an instant, a hulking furry body topped with bulging red eyes and glistening fangs framed by enormous filmy wings spreading to the sky taking its place. Inuyasha was singularly unimpressed.
 
You need a squishing, you disgusting bug.” A red and sliver blur launched right through the giant moth, claws shredding flesh and bone. Gatenmaru didn't even have time to scream before his throat was torn out and his jaw parted company with the rest of his skull. Inuyasha stood in the midst of the carnage as chunks of streaming meat thumped down around him, his head bowed, eyes hidden behind his bangs, flexing his gory claws. Kagome felt a chill pass over her as she realized he was smiling.
 
The moment of immobility that had pinned the rest of the bandits in their place broke loose, and there was a general scramble to put as much distance between themselves and this terrifying presence as quickly as possible. Kirara bunted Kagome rather firmly and indicated the girl should climb on her back; wondering, she obeyed. The fire-cat crouched, waiting, her ears rigid as she watched the transformed hanyou very carefully.
 
A very low, hair-raising laugh worthy of Naraku was clearly audible over the sounds of rapid departure. With a fluid leap and a series of rapid swipes, Inuyasha mowed down the men running on foot, and then went after those on horseback. Hardly missing a beat, heads flew and bodies rolled as both men and animals went down.
 
Kirara roared, and headed for the Tetsusaiga; Kagome executed a desperate manoeuvre worthy of a trick rider, grabbing a handful of ruff and clinging tightly to the cat's side as she snatched the katana from the ground without losing her bow or her arrows. They were airborne the moment after that, until they landed just behind the group of men who had almost reached the tree line; Kagome said a silent word of thanks to whichever gods might be listening that they were on the opposite side of the village to where they had left Shippo with the horses.
 
The men were pleading for their lives, on their knees before the hanyou, when she slid off Kirara's back and ran towards him, the Tetsusaiga in her hands. The fire-cat dodged away and took up a position in mid-air, hovering over the girl. Kagome faltered mid-stride when she heard that same, low, evil chuckle come from his lips. “Pathetic vermin. Keep your master company in hell. Die.”
 
“Inuyasha! NO!”
 
Kagome was close enough to one man that a warm spray of blood caught her across the face as his head left his body. She stopped dead, frozen in horror, and watched as Inuyasha cracked a malicious grin and slowly, deliberately, flicked his blood-drenched claws as if cleaning a blade. Scarlet eyes never leaving her face, he paced towards her, not caring if he stepped on the still-twitching bodies, his hair and haori spattered and smeared with gore. Kagome gripped the Tetsusaiga so tightly against her chest that the dull blade nearly cut her fingers, but she didn't retreat, keeping her eyes focussed on his chin as he came to a stop in front of her, his demonic aura shimmering mistily around him.
 
Still-dripping claws flashed, and her chin was caught in a vise-like grip. “Look at me, bitch.” Unwillingly, she obeyed, trying to keep her gaze steady as his flaming eyes burned her confidence in her ability to bring him back to himself to ashes. “Why did you ask for their lives?”
 
Unable to take the glowing crucibles of his soul any longer, she dropped her glance. “They were begging for your mercy.”
 
The demon snorted, and roughly twisted her head to the left, pointing with a deadly claw at a tumbled pile of fabric that softly hummocked, hinting at the small bodies hidden underneath. “They showed no mercy to those pups, nor the males of this village.” He yanked her back to face him. “They would have murdered you and our pack without a thought.” Kagome gulped at the hard look he gave her, and tears pricked her eyes. Inuyasha glanced down. “Why are you dragging this around?” He tapped the pommel of Tetsusaiga with an elongated claw.
 
She blinked. “You need it…”
 
I don't need that piece of shit to protect you.” She was completely unprepared when the fingers left her chin, and a hand closed around the base of her throat…as her mind began to scream, she nearly fainted at the abrupt idea that this was the main reason for the high collar of her sutra-reinforced body armour. It was to protect her against Inuyasha. Oh, gods…She felt the magic inherent within the fabric begin to spark in response to his increasing youkai…but then realized that he was merely holding her very firmly in place. His other hand gripped a handful of hair and tipped her head back while bracing her against the opposing pressure on her clavicle; she couldn't stop a whimper, and tried to frantically compose herself, to find her power and wrap it around him.
 
“Hold still, bitch.”
 
The sensation of her cheek being grazed by fangs and tongue startled her so badly that she lost whatever concentration she had gathered, and her eyes flew to one silver ear that was swivelling alertly even as Inuyasha cleaned her face of the bandit's blood, working in long, deliberate strokes accompanied by a low satisfied purr…as if he were savouring the taste. I don't want to see him like this…he won't be able to live with himself… Inuyasha pulled back, and gentled his grip on her, a strange, wild light flashing in his blazing eyes as his tongue darted out between his exposed fangs to capture a stray drop of red. His youkai suddenly surged to levels that had her spiritual power instinctively rising to meet the threat, a situation that did not look to end well for either of them.
 
Kagome was eternally grateful that she never, ever found out what might have happened next, because at that moment, her most unlikely saviour arrived, announced by an almost gut-churning blast of youkai.
 
“A vicious beast indeed, which attacks his own. Disgusting.”
 
Inuyasha's head whipped around, fangs bared in a terrifyingly feral snarl, his own demonic aura flaring. In a violent flurry of movement, Kagome suddenly found herself about thirty feet farther away from the icy voice, the Tetsusaiga still clutched in her hand after she rolled over a couple of times, landing in a clumsy sprawl ten feet behind Inuyasha…staring at a very dangerous-looking Sesshomaru, wreathed in glimmering green vapour.
 
And then the taiyoukai nearly rendered her speechless.
 
“Are you injured, miko?” Sesshomaru inquired, his voice pitched to carry the distance between them, his hard yellow eyes never leaving the crouching, growling hanyou, whose lengthened talons were gouging deep gashes in the earth. Inuyasha's demonic aura increased again, until it rivalled the taiyoukai's own.
 
“N-no…” Her voice sounded less than convincing, even to her own ears.
 
Sesshomaru indicated the surrounding destruction with an elegant sweep of his hand. “Did all these die by his claws?”
 
“No…the bandits killed the villagers…”
 
“Hm.” He unsheathed Tokijin; Inuyasha's growling went up in volume. “Remove yourself, miko, but keep the Tetsusaiga to hand. His demon blood has nearly destroyed his reason.” Kagome's brain madly scrambled to catch up with the taiyoukai's words, and then she found her feet and backed away, out of the immediate battle-zone.
 
Her scent Sesshomaru's eyes narrowed slightly as he sorted through the usual floral traces emanated by the girl, now overlaid and mixed not only with a tinge of fear, but also with tones of deep forest…undeniably his half-brother's scent. This…complicates matters. He had intended to place himself between the humans and the hanyou, but to do so now would be tantamount to signing his own death warrant. Even in the grip of a full-youkai bloodlust, Inuyasha would defend his mate, no matter the fact that he appeared to have been attacking her himself not a moment before.
 
Kirara swooped down, caught Kagome by the obi and pulled her away until the girl stumbled and had to grab a handful of ruff for stability. The fire-cat didn't let up until she had been bundled all the way back to Sango and Miroku's position; then Kirara crouched beside her humans, tails swishing violently, as she awaited the outcome of the confrontation.
 
Kagome was nearly in tears, mostly from the stress of watching her mate turn into this creature that she knew he would despise when he came back to himself, and feeling completely powerless to help him. She had held onto his sword herself instead of giving it to him, and she had not used her power to bring him back when she had the chance. Hell, she hadn't even `sat' him, and it was now far too dangerous to try that.
 
And now he might die at his brother's hands because she screwed up.
 
In a blurred movement, Inuyasha sprang at Sesshomaru, claws outstretched. The taiyoukai pointed Tokijin directly at him, and the sword's attack struck the hanyou full on, opening deep slices in all the unprotected flesh. Inuyasha snarled broadly and clenched his fist…then dealt Tokijin a ringing blow, knocking the blade aside and clearing a path into his brother's zone. Before he could capitalize on the opening, Sesshomaru had agilely flipped backward out of his range.
 
“This is rather interesting.” Miroku murmured, loud enough that both girls could hear him. “Sesshomaru-sama's Tokijin could slice Inuyasha to ribbons with a single strike…yet it is almost as if he is moderating the blade's destructive capability to avoid a death-blow.”
 
“It won't matter very soon, because Inuyasha's body won't stand up to the strain.” Sango whispered back, but Kagome heard her anyways, and the tears began to shimmer in her eyes. The slayer's kind heart went out to her friend, and she shifted so she could put her arm around Kagome's shoulders in a quick hug. The girl managed a wan smile before she turned her attention back to her hanyou.
 
Blood dripped down Inuyasha's forearms and cheeks as he shifted on the balls of his feet, red mist coalescing around him, lining up for another rush. This time Sesshomaru evaded him easily; rocks and earth went flying as the hanyou clawed a great trench in the ground where the taiyoukai had been standing only a moment before. Inuyasha spun, and leapt again, only to be struck with an even more powerful blast of the sword's energy. This time, multiple slashes opened up in his fire-rat, and blood spewed, making his appearance even more terrifying.
 
Sesshomaru was somewhat uncomfortable with where this confrontation was leading. Is he fighting to defend his pack?perhaps he was not attacking the miko? If there was anything the taiyoukai hated, it was to question his own perceptions; such second thoughts were usually not permitted. The corrosion of his ability to distinguish friend from foe will continue the longer he remains in this state, leading to the destruction of both his body and his soul. There is only one chance… Sorting through his options, making a decision, he prepared to bring the hanyou to his knees.
 
Dimly, Kagome became aware that Fenik was yelling at her, and that the Tetsusaiga was vibrating in her grip.
 
Dammit, Nixie! Wake up!
Sorry…I…
Fuck it all to the fifth hell, girl…release us!
What?
You're gonna need your demon-speed…you have to get the old man back to the hanyou.
Old man?
Duh. That rather dilapidated fang you're holding. He says to loosen up a bit because being cut by a blunt sword is really, really painful.
 
Kagome immediately did just that, and the katana thrummed gently, almost as if it was trying to calm her. She rested her cheek against the hilt and felt a sense of peace settle in her soul. At that point, her scattered thoughts and emotions fell into place, and she knew she was ready…for what, she wasn't quite sure.
 
Ignite.
 
Sango and Miroku glanced over at her, startled, as silver flames whirled briefly before coalescing into faintly sparking armour overlaying the dragon-hide; her molten eyes were intent upon the heavily bleeding hanyou, who was showing neither obvious signs of discomfort nor a lessening of his aggression. “Sango, Miroku…I'm going in as soon as there's an opening. Cover me.”
 
They all tensed as Inuyasha, roaring in a bestial rage, threw himself at Sesshomaru. The taiyoukai abruptly switched Tokijin's attack angle from a thrust to a broadside, and a massive charge of energy hit the hanyou square in the body, flinging him like a rag doll across the field. He landed heavily, the back of his head and his shoulders taking much of the impact. His body shuddered heavily once, and then Inuyasha laid still, reddened eyes staring vacantly.
 
A small curl of dust marked where Kagome had launched herself at his supine form.
 
Sesshomaru was not surprised to see the miko arrive abruptly in the battle-zone, nor was he particularly disturbed at how she threw herself protectively over his half-brother's chest, sandwiching the Tetsusaiga between their bodies. A crackling barrier domed over his downed brother, and the miko stood up to face him, her bow taut with barely restrained destruction. Sheathing Tokijin, he paused to make sure he had the monk's and the slayer's full attention. “Do not interfere. This Sesshomaru and the miko have business.” He kept the monk's gaze until the human looked away, and then began striding towards the barrier.
 
“Stay where you are!”
 
Sesshomaru looked at her calmly. “Attacking a bitch protecting her mate is only one notch less suicidal than confronting a bitch with pups…and I am not a fool.” He smelt the tears streaking her face when he had covered half the distance. Another step, and he heard her strained, unhappy voice.
 
“I don't want to do this, Sesshomaru.”
 
He quirked her a brief, sardonic smile. “Then, do not.”
 
The barrier crackled; the contained energy caused his hair to rise in the swirling currents. Sesshomaru stopped within point-blank range. He knew better than to try to repeat her action when she had faced off with him the day he acquired Tokijin, but this was close enough to get his point across. Kagome's whole attention was riveted on his face; he noted her hands were trembling, but whether that was from the strain of holding the barrier, or her weapon fully extended, or both, he wasn't sure.
 
“Truce.” It took two heartbeats of time before his single word penetrated her mind, and he saw her swallow while some of the strain disappeared from her eyes. Two heartbeats after that, she dropped her weapon away and released the tension on the arrow. Still the barrier remained, and he watched her lick her lips nervously while she judged him. Kagome drew a deep, shuddering breath…and the barrier faded to nothing., while her aura wrapped itself around her. He took one step closer until they were less than an arm's-length apart, yellow eyes sparking against silver-burnished grey as their auras cautiously sent tendrils out to test each other, pushing here, giving away there, finally determining their equilibrium.
 
The long moment of silence was broken. “You have mated the hanyou.” His voice was flat and emotionless.
 
She blinked. This was not exactly the opening line she had expected, but she squared her shoulders and lifted her chin. “Proudly.”
 
He arched his eyebrow at her declaration; his eyes softened slightly, although his voice and expression remained the same. “You do not fear his beast?”
 
Kagome's voice trembled the tiniest bit. “I haven't had any reason to…before today.”
 
Sesshomaru looked over her shoulder at Inuyasha, motionless in a pool of blood with the Tetsusaiga angled across his torso. The red had drained away from his sightless, staring eyes, and his fangs had retracted. “Do not let Inuyasha lose the Tetsusaiga again. It is the only thing keeping his demon blood in check; next time, even I may not be able to stop him.”
 
Kagome wasn't sure which startling bit of information she wanted to deal with first. The fact that Sesshomaru seemed to have shown up solely to stop Inuyasha's rampage, and was hinting that he would do so again was too much information to process, so she went with the other point of interest. “H-how do you know…about the connection between his youkai and the Tetsusaiga?”
 
“I have my sources.” He noticed her lip being bitten to the point of blood while she searched his face; he gave her his full attention.
 
“Why, Sesshomaru? Why didn't you kill him outright?” There was a tiny bit of hope twining through her voice.
 
“Make no mistake, miko…I will kill him.” At her short, sharp intake of breath, echoed distantly by the monk and the slayer, he paused for full effect. “There is no honour in executing a ravening beast; it will be a fair fight when it occurs.” He stepped back, and then turned away. “I will be most displeased if I am thwarted in my desire for combat with him…take care to preserve your lives.” Sesshomaru had not taken three steps before the miko's soft voice reached his ears.
 
“Thank you…for stopping him today.” He turned his head ever so slightly, and inclined it even more faintly; the motion would have been missed by anyone not watching him keenly.
 
The taiyoukai's aura had barely cleared the vicinity when Inuyasha began to stir. Miroku and Sango gathered to the side as Kagome dropped to her knees beside her hanyou and tenderly stroked his face. The jagged stripes were gone from his cheeks; he looked exhausted and very pale under all the dirt and blood. “Uhhh…”
 
“I-inuyasha?” She couldn't keep the quavering tone out of her voice, and let her hand drop away from his cheek as his dulled amber eyes slowly opened and even more slowly blinked to bring his world into focus. He swallowed, hard, and peered up at her, his nose wrinkling.
 
“K'gome? Wh-what's…that smell?” He made a face, flinching. She hesitated, not sure what to say, when he raised a hand to rub at his face…and froze at the sight of the drying brownish liquid coating his fingers. His eyes widened in horror, and Kagome remembered his words, that waking up with blood on his claws and no memory of how it had got there was one of his worst nightmares.
 
Now he'll be living a nightmare. Her heart broke for him.
 
Inuyasha used the Tetsusaiga to push himself to his knees, sheathed the blade and shoved himself the rest of the way up to his feet, wavering badly until he found his balance…and could take in the full scope of the destruction. Kagome stood up with him, her gaze flicking to Miroku and Sango, looking for reassurance; they kept their eyes averted.
 
“Is this…did I…?” He couldn't seem to bring himself to finish the question, as if he were truly afraid of the answer; their silence confirmed it. Kagome ducked under his arm to help him stay upright. He glanced down at her as his hand cupped her shoulder…and then he saw his claws again. “Oh, gods…” Inuyasha made a fist with his other hand, and hung his head.
 
Movement among the clutch of surviving village women caught Kagome's eye; an elderly grey-haired woman climbed to her feet and ignored the panicked clutching at her yukata as well as the anguished warnings by the others to determinedly make her way over towards them. Kagome wrapped her arms around Inuyasha's waist, as if to shield him from her. Keen old black eyes took in the half-demon's defeated stance, his hunched shoulders, the general despondent air.
 
“Ye became something monstrous, hanyou, but for avenging the lives of my good man and my grandson, I do thank thee.” She turned back, and beckoned to Miroku and Sango; with a sidelong glance at Kagome, they followed her to listen as she addressed the others. Kagome tried to peer up into Inuyasha's face; he turned his head, blocking her out, but not before she saw a suspicious gleam of moisture rim his dark lashes.
 
Tenderly, she brushed her fingertips over his cheek, and stood on tip-toe to kiss his jaw. He went rigid, and then he sniffed her, hard. A shaking claw traced the bloodied crescent framing the collar of her tunic. Inuyasha sniffed again, this time in her hair; when he pulled away, his eyes were panicked. “What did he do to you?
 
She tightened her grip around his waist. “Nothing. I'm fine, Inuyasha.”
 
“I…he…had his hands around your throat and in your hair…what the fuck happened, Kagome?” The near-hysterical edge in his voice pushed her into action.
 
“C'mon, Inuyasha…we're going to find the nearest body of water and get you cleaned up, then continue this conversation without an audience…Sango! Meet us at the river…” As the slayer nodded, the old woman caught her eye and pointed downslope, which she took to mean they'd find water in that direction. Without another word, she tugged the hanyou firmly after her, away from the smoking ruins.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
The sound of water finally reached her ears, and she sent the hanyou on in the general direction by himself, while she detoured to find Shippo and the horses. The kit's eyes were huge at her bloodied appearance; he admitted to hiding as soon as Sesshomaru's scent hit the scene. Kagome didn't have the nerve to tell him that it might have been Inuyasha, and not the taiyoukai, that he smelled. Digging through her saddlebags, she retrieved some soap and two towels, plus her set of Academy fleeces. “Stay put, Ship-dip. Houshi and Sango are parleying with the survivors; they'll pick you up once they've decided what our next move is. Inuyasha's a mess, so give me some time to clean him up.”
 
“Sure, Kagome…leave it up to me.”
 
She smiled tightly at the kit and crashed off into the bushes, following the soft rushing sound, until she broke out onto the riverbank. The slow-moving water sparkled in the late-afternoon sun; the hanyou was submerged up to his shoulders out in the fastest part of the current, his head bowed. Nothing for it… Kagome rapidly stripped down to her sport bra and shorts, grabbed the soap and waded determinedly out to him. The river was snowmelt-cold; Kagome's teeth began chattering almost instantly, but she forged on until she was waist-deep and had nearly reached him.
 
Inuyasha's ears tracked her approach, but he concentrated on his inner argument; his youkai was spectacularly unrepentant.
 
What the fuck did you do to her?
I protected our bitch and our pack, like I promised.
Why were your claws around her neck?
Holding her still while I cleaned her up.
You had to hold her by the throat?
I didn't want to accidentally cut her with our fangs.
How many people did you kill?
No innocents, just murdering bandits…as well as that bastard Gatenmaru.
Do you have any idea of how she's going to feel about me, after watching you turn me into a monster?
Excuse me, hanyou, but I am you and you are me. She came to us, without fear…at least until our brother showed up.
I can't stand this…you honestly think she wasn't scared?
I don't need that sword to protect her; but, if we work together, we will be invincible.
I won't let you lay a single claw on her, ever again. That's a promise.
It is one that you may not be able to keep.
 
“Stay the fuck away!” Inuyasha shot to his feet, shouting aloud his last desperate command at his youkai. Kagome's startled cry and the resulting splash as she fell over backwards brought him back to the present. Swearing, he caught her by her elbows and pulled her to her feet, but then dropped his hands as soon as she was upright and stepped back. “Sorry, Kagome…I-I wasn't talking to you.”
 
The now soaking-wet, shivering girl regarded him with wide eyes for a moment before wading right up to him. Undaunted by how he tensed at her proximity, she grabbed one of his hands in both of hers and began working the soap into it, ignoring the chill seeping into her bones from the icy water. Inuyasha did not say anything; his breathing was harsh.
 
Kagome pushed up his sodden sleeve and soaped his forearm, then spread the cleansing lather over his palm, the back of his hand, each finger and claw, concentrating on the task as if it were the most important thing in the world to her. Finishing the one, she dunked it to rinse, while privately wondering if she could stay in the water long enough to finish the job without suffering hypothermia. She had just gently taken hold of his other hand when he softly spoke.
 
“It won't wash away what happened.” His voice was so bruised that it hurt.
 
“I know.” She answered just as softly, her teeth chattering around her words, working the soap into his fingertips, cleaning the underside of his claws. They stood in silence for a few more moments, and then he leaned his forehead against hers.
 
“D-did he hurt you, Kagome?” The fear and pain was plainly evident; for a wild moment, she thought he meant Sesshomaru, but then the understanding that he meant his youkai caused her heart to clench. The girl clasped his hand in both of hers and pressed it to her heart.
 
You didn't hurt me…yes, I was a little scared, but I know that you would never harm me.” Inuyasha wrenched his hand away, and she was engulfed in layers of soaking wet fur from her shoulders to her thighs…which immediately and surprisingly warmed her body. The trailing ends of his sleeves brushed against her legs with the flow of the river's current. So that's how this stuff works
 
I don't remember! Gods, Kagome…he could have sliced your throat…” He was shaking, and she was fairly sure it wasn't with cold, now that she was experiencing the insulating wonders of fire-rat. She worked her hands free from where they were trapped between them, and slid her arms around him.
 
“Inuyasha, he is you. I know you don't want to hear that, but none of your forms, whether human, hanyou or demon, would ever do anything to me. Believe in yourself, koibito.” The arms holding her tightened to the point of discomfort.
 
“Why do you have such trust in me?” Inuyasha's lips brushed her temple, his voice a shaken shadow of its usual cocky timbre.
 
“Because I do. All of your aspects belong to me; all that power, strength and potential is mine…what makes you think I'd give any of it up? We just have to find a way that you are comfortable working with all of your forms.”
 
Keeping one arm around her shoulders, he dipped slightly until he caught her under the knees with the other and lifted her clear of the water. Kagome held tightly to the front of his haori as he waded towards dry land. He smiled down at her, a little crookedly and a little sadly; she smiled back and stroked her thumb along his dark brow. When he reached the shore, he sat them both down, holding her in his lap. It was surprisingly comfortable being swaddled in all that wet material; Kagome noted how it seemed to dry from mere body heat. She snuggled against his chest, toying with the rosary beads while she listened to his heart beat, his warm breath stirring her bangs.
 
“I-I think it's time I went to see Totosai.” This last was said with a defeated exhalation.
 
“Why is that, koibito?”
 
“I need to have the Tetsusaiga lighter right now, not in a few weeks or months. I'll leave tonight.”
 
“I'm going with you.”
 
Kagome, his forge is located in a volcanic crevasse. The fumes alone would kill you within seconds.”
 
“Then we'll find a spot where I can camp nearby, while you do whatever is necessary. Totosai smells worse than nearly anything I can imagine, sulphuric or otherwise.”
 
“Wench…”
 
“You're my mate. I will not leave you to do this alone. End of discussion.”
 
He pulled her tightly against his chest, burying his nose in her wet hair. The evening sun turned the river golden, and a moment of stillness calmed his mind. “Bitch of my heart…what did I ever do to deserve you?”
 
The girl who owned what was left of his soul lifted her soft grey eyes to meet his, a smile curving her sweet lips. “I dunno…but I think I deserve a kiss for braving that freezing river to talk to you. How about it?”
 
Inuyasha lifted her slightly in his arms and then lost himself in her softness, her strength and her acceptance. He poured everything of himself into the kiss, and she returned it full measure.
 
“A-hem!”
 
“Keh!” Inuyasha muttered against her lips. Kagome kissed the tip of his nose, and then they both stood up and turned to face a deceptively relaxed Miroku. He arched his eyebrow at her somewhat under-clothed appearance; Inuyasha pulled her against his chest and slung both arms casually around her, his hanging sleeves covering her up. “What did the old hag want?”
 
“Since all their menfolk are deceased, they wish us to help bury their dead and then provide an escort for them to a place of safety.”
 
Kagome slowly nodded. “That sounds reasonable. Inuyasha and I will leave right after the burials are finished…in the morning, I guess.” She turned her head to look up at the hanyou for confirmation; after a moment of hesitation, he nodded stiffly. “We should make camp at a distance from the village for the night.”
 
“A place has been set aside for our use; shall we?” Miroku turned his back and waited while Kagome pulled off her wet gear and dressed herself in her fleeces, Inuyasha hovering protectively. He then led the way back through the bushes and took a tangential path along the verges of the tilled fields until they came upon Shippo lighting a fire at the edge of the woodland. Sango was assisting the women on the other side of the field, dragging corpses to lay them out on the downslope of the hill, away from grieving eyes. Inuyasha hesitated; Miroku touched his arm. “They do not expect your help to move their dead, Inuyasha; I suggest you stay here with Shippo. Kagome-sama, come with me.”
 
After a quick squeeze of Inuyasha's hand, she followed behind the monk, and began helping move the bodies. She noticed that Miroku made sure none of the women were able to get too close to her; and was grateful for the fact that he was protecting her from both their scorn and fear of Inuyasha.
 
It was the children that broke her heart, again, and she couldn't stop the tears when she knelt to lift the first small body, cradling it in her arms. A shadow fell over her; she looked up into a woman's face, and knew it was the mother. Wordlessly, she held the child out to the woman, almost expecting it to be snatched away from her tainted hands…tainted because of her connection to a demon. Instead, the woman reached with gentle fingers to brush her tears away, and then allowed her to carry the child to lay it beside its murdered father.
 
After that simple gesture, the rest of the women kept their opinions to themselves, and she was permitted to assist with binding the wounds of the living. Once the bodies of the villagers were neatly lined up, and dewy fingers of twilight crept across the ground, bringing a distinct chill along with them, Miroku placed his back to the gathered survivors and opened his Vortex, removing the corpses of the bandits and the remains of Gatenmaru from this reality. The prayer beads caught the last reddened beam of sunlight, glowing like they had been dipped in blood, as he firmly re-wrapped his gauntlet. “I will say prayers for the dead, and keep vigil this night.”
 
The old black-eyed crone nodded at him, and then the village women retreated to their own fire, set away from that of the five outsiders. Kagome trailed along behind Sango as they trudged back to their own cheerful blaze, feeling very, very sad. She noticed the closed look on Inuyasha's face as he sat, his face fantastically shadowed by the firelight, so seated herself close beside him. He slipped his arm around her without ceasing to brood.
 
They were a very silent group as they ate their rations; Sango had been politely rebuffed when she offered some of their provisions to the village women. Shippo poured tea, and they sipped quietly, each lost in their own thoughts. The silence seemed to eat away at them; the kit couldn't take it any more, and burrowed into Kagome's lap for comfort. She ran her fingers through his bangs and stroked his hair, and was gratified when Inuyasha tugged both of them closer to him so that he could both hold her and rest his hand on the kit's back.
 
That night they slept under the stars, on the bare ground in their bedrolls. Inuyasha sat up next to Kagome and Shippo, Tetsusaiga propped against his shoulder, ears swivelling as he listened to the rustling, skittering sounds of the spring night. Sango was across the fire, her head pillowed on her weapon, Kirara curled at her side. He could just see the distant outline of the monk silhouetted against the velvet blackness, the metal head of his staff gleaming in the starlight. His gaze fell onto his mate, and a gentle look softened his face for a moment, before he returned to scanning the area for threats. His youkai muttered something; he ignored the comment, refusing to be drawn into a conversation with a part of himself he now wished had remained buried inside him, along with the Tetsusaiga.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Before dawn, Inuyasha shook Shippo awake, and set him to the task of watching over Kagome and Sango. Moving silently in the pearly grey half-light, he touched Miroku's shoulder, the monk raising his heavy-lidded eyes to give him an enquiring look. The hanyou pointed at the bodies, and then to the empty field beyond them. Understanding dawned; Miroku nodded, and Inuyasha went to work. He marked out a grave pit large enough to hold all the dead in a single layer, and began to dig, using the same claws that had slashed viciously the day before to create a memorial for the lives he couldn't save. The dirt flew, and just as the first shafts of pale rose began to paint the sky, the pit was finished. Inuyasha stood for a moment, his head bowed, and then he looked to Miroku.
 
The monk laid down his staff, and began assisting him to move the bodies into the pit, lining them up neatly, pausing beside each one as Miroku murmured a prayer for the departed spirit. They finished as the occupants of both fires began to stir; Inuyasha silently disappeared in the direction of the river.
 
Kagome appeared out of the grey shadows along the shore just as he finished washing his claws; she was dressed in her dragon-hide, now wiped clean of the blood-marks left by his claws. They looked at each other for a moment, him admiring the way the morning breeze lifted and toyed with the tendrils of dark hair framing her face, her wishing she could bring the life back to his amber eyes. Wordlessly, she held out her arms to him; he came towards her and took her small, calloused hands into his, brushing her knuckles with his lips. His eyes dropped to the now-vanished marking framing her collar, but in his imagination, it was still there, glistening accusingly in the soft light.
 
His heart clenching, he spun away from her, and dropped down onto the coarse sand, fighting the urge to hide his face in his hands. “Kagome…I'm so sorry…”
 
Arms wrapped around him from behind, locking him in her embrace, her lips soft against his skin. “Don't be…don't be sorry for what you are. You defended the innocent and avenged the dead…I'm proud to be your mate, Inuyasha. I love you.” Her tone was fierce; he caught her wrist and kissed her fingers and palm, stalling until he could trust himself to speak.
 
“Next time…even you might not be safe…”
 
“There isn't going to be a next time. That's why we're going to see the smelly old dude, remember? Let's go; the sooner we are done here, the sooner we can put this behind us.” She tugged him up onto his feet; he swept her into his arms and wrapped himself around her, hugging her until she jabbed him in the ribs, muttering about breathing having priority. As soon as he loosened his grip, she pulled his face down for a long, deep kiss that was balm to his aching soul, as was the follow-up brilliant smile she bestowed on him.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
They came out of the trees hand-in-hand; shading their eyes against the brightening sky, they saw Miroku's hands moving eloquently as he performed the offices of the dead over the now filled-in grave pit. Kagome pulled Inuyasha forward, and they stood quietly just behind Miroku, watching as the last few spadefuls of earth completed the sad task. Both tensed as the old woman made her way over to them.
 
Her black eyes were not unkind; she reached out to lightly touch Inuyasha's sleeve. “We thank thee for thy assistance in laying our dead to rest. Come, seat thyself by our fire; we would share a meal before we part ways with thee.” She looked past him. “Monk, thy presence is also wanted, as well as the slayer and the kit.” The old woman then smiled, made a point of taking a very startled Inuyasha by his other hand, and led them to the fire, where the women made places for them. Bowls of porridge and tea were pressed into their hands as Shippo squeezed in between them; he was chucked under the chin by another grandmotherly type, and handed his own bowl.
 
During the meal, it was agreed that they would split up; Sango and Kirara would escort one group of women to the north and west, dropping them at villages belonging to relatives along the way, while Miroku and Shippo would take the other group to the south and east, doing the same. Kagome resolutely refused to leave Inuyasha, so they would go see Totosai while this task was being completed by the others, and hopefully they would meet up in the middle in a few days' time.
 
The fires were doused, Inuyasha disappeared, and the women gathered together what was salvageable, dividing the loads equally. Sango and Miroku stepped away from the others, to where the horses cropped grass. Kagome watched as the slayer disappeared into the monk's embrace, his dark head tilting down to enfold her completely, and she was very happy for their public declaration of affection. She turned away and finished loading one pack with enough supplies for the two of them to last about a week; just as she completed her task, a general air of bustle seemed to indicate that everyone was ready to move on.
 
Sango, her cheeks a very pretty shade of rose, was now astride Arashi with Kirara curled behind her on the saddlebags, while Miroku genially assisted the most elderly woman in the other group into Juhi's saddle. Kagome scooped Shippo, and kissed him soundly.
 
“See ya soon, Kagome! Say hi to the old fart for me…” The kit was cuffed upside the head by the black-eyed grandmother, who then shook her finger at him.
 
“Respect for the aged, child, is more becoming than derision.”
 
Rubbing his head, Shippo meekly replied, “yes, ma'am” and then was squashed in a hearty hug before being allowed to perch on the woman's shoulder as they began their trek.
 
Kagome waited until the two groups were out of sight before looking for Inuyasha. He landed silently beside her, softly as a cat. “Shall we?” she asked with a smile. He crouched, offering her his back, waiting until she was settled securely and had clasped her hands across his chest. Standing up, he tested the balance that included both her and the filled pack before taking off at an easy pace that he estimated would bring them to Totosai's forge within a day and a half.
 
As they raced against the dawn, he refused to be drawn into a conversation with his demon side, even though there were conciliatory noises being made somewhere in his subconscious. He was going to seal his youkai away from Kagome, no matter the difficulty; he never wanted to lose his mind, or his soul, again.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
They made very good time, and had found a spot to make a simple camp by a small brook. After indulging in some stretching to shake out the muscles kinked by several hours of remaining in virtually the same position except for a quick lunch break, Kagome occupied herself with sorting out the food while Inuyasha lit a fire. He was nearly silent, only responding if she asked a direct question, otherwise giving only non-committal grunts. Finally, she just gave up, assuming he was wrestling with his inner demon in one way or another.
 
She lent some thought to the confrontation with Sesshomaru earlier; the more she turned it over in her head and contemplated it from all sides, the more it sounded like the taiyoukai had said he would protect them, not merely hold up one side of a truce. Of course, it was only so that he could have the honour of doing in his half-brother himself, but since she knew that Yashita was alive and well…could this be the point when Sesshomaru made up his mind to help them against Naraku? He had shown up, seemingly out of nowhere, stopped Inuyasha in his tracks, but hadn't killed him. She chewed that over for a moment, before growling in exasperation.
 
Damn! A time-spanning cell phone would sure come in handy!
 
It was a quiet evening; the sparks floated like fireflies in the updraft, the wood gently crackling. After they ate, he came with her down to the brook and helped clean up the mess tins, filling the kettle for a pot of tea. She slipped her hand into his on the short walk back, and was heartened when he squeezed it lightly. After repacking their things and shaking out the bedroll on the other side of the fire, she sat beside him and poked at the embers while he kept his hands folded into his sleeves. The silence that curled itself around them was comfortable and companionable, and she decided not to spoil it by telling him about Sesshomaru kicking his demon-self's ass. She was more than happy to cuddle when Inuyasha pulled her into his lap, resting his chin on her head.
 
The hanyou released her to make the tea, but retrieved her as soon as she had the mugs ready. “It's kind of nice to be alone together, just the two of us,” he murmured softly, nuzzling her bangs as he set down his empty mug.
 
“It is…although I hope the others are doing okay.” She reached up and lightly ran a fingertip along the neckline of his juban, curving from his shoulder to the divot at the base of his throat. “Is it time for bed? I know you'll want an early start tomorrow.”
 
“Yeah…” He sighed in a defeated sort of way; she stood up, walked around the fire and began the process of shucking layers of armour and weaponry, until she was completely bare to his startled gaze before sliding into the bedroll. “Oi, wench…what …?”
 
She grinned at him as she folded back the opening of the bag invitingly. “No houshi to peek, no kitsune to shock, no slayer to horrify. Just you and me, dog-boy, so get your cute hanyou butt over here.”
 
“I, er, can't defend us if…” He was actually sweating.
 
“I'll set a barrier. Come here, koibito; you need some quality mate-time.”
 
He cocked his ears at her, thought for a moment, then obeyed. He banked the fire, tidied her messy pile of clothing, and dropped his robes on top. Laying the Tetsusaiga down within easy reach next to Fenikkusuken and her quiver, he tucked himself inside the bedding with her. Making happy little noises that sounded suspiciously like purrs, Kagome burrowed her head into his chest and began winding herself around him. He tapped her shoulder. “Aren't you forgetting something, wench?”
 
“Hm?” Her breath was warm on his throat, and very distracting.
 
“What about our protection?”
 
“Don't need another shot for a few months,” she muttered back, wondering what the heck he was bringing that up for, and then was puzzled at his chuckle.
 
“Keh! The barrier, Kagome.”
 
“Oh! That kind of protection…” she flushed rather deeply, but concentrated for a few moments until a crackling dome arched over them. Inuyasha eyed it sceptically.
 
“Do you really think you can hold that all night?”
 
“Well, I could get out of this nice warm bedroll and go buttress it with a few arrows, but then I'd be all cold and grumpy when I came back…”
 
“Keh! Forget that. I'll keep an ear open.”
 
“I was hoping you'd say that.” She nuzzled into his skin again, and began laying soft, open-mouthed kisses down his throat and across his chest, enjoying how he relaxed under her touch. Kagome continued to lightly caress him, making slow patterns across his chest to his shoulders, down his arms and back up again, listening to his breathing slow or speed up, depending on how sensitive the area was that she touched. Finally, she moulded her body against his, her nose just under his chin, and began working her fingers up through his hair to his ears. He groaned deeply, his eyelashes fluttering, when she lightly stroked their length, lingering at the tips before working back down to deeply rub their bases.
 
“Oi, wench…that feels…so…good.” The accumulated stress seemed to leave him all at once, and he became boneless in her arms, sighing deeply before he fell sound asleep. Kagome held still for a moment, as she registered that the hanyou was completely and utterly out cold. Snoring lightly, too. Chuckling, she propped herself up on her elbow to look down at him, then kissed him softly before shifting around until her back was against his chest, so that she could see as much of their surroundings as possible. She reached out to lightly touch the hilt of her sword, just to reassure herself she could grab it quickly. Once she settled, his arms tightened, pulling her close even as he slept.
 
I can always sleep while he runs tomorrow, she reasoned. And I can set an arrow-barrier when I have a place to camp. I hope this doesn't take long
 
It took you a few months to master Fenik, Kagome.
`Master' Fenik? I wish, Midoriko…Inuyasha doesn't want to risk transforming again.
Fenik? You spoke to Tetsusaiga…what did he say?
The old man was concerned. Each time the pup goes ballistic, he loses more of his humanity.
You…talk to…other swords?
What's wrong with that? You talk to `em all the time!
Well, I talk to you
Tetsusaiga talks to you, too…he just doesn't use words. Go ahead… touch him. He won't bite.
 
Kagome wasn't sure, but she stretched slightly and laid a fingertip on Tetsusaiga's scruffy grip. The katana thrummed gently, and she felt that same peaceful sensation as she had earlier. Smiling, she patted the hilt lightly, then retreated into the warmth of the bedroll. Inuyasha snuffled, and shifted his grip on her slightly.
 
It'll be okay, Nixie…the pup's too much of a pain in the ass to quit now.
Your love for him is his strength, Kagome.
Thanks…for helping today.
Our pleasure, sweetheart.
 
Then she was alone with her thoughts, which centred around the silver-haired hanyou currently cuddling her like a teddy bear, and what the morrow would bring.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
“Oi, Totosai! What the fuck are you making in there? It stinks like burning hair…or fur… or something…”
 
The scabrous youkai turned, mallet poised mid-blow, bulbous eyes keen. “Ah, Inuyasha…I've been expecting you, whelp. You're a bit later than I first estimated, but still on schedule.”
 
The hanyou could barely stop coughing in the acrid smoke billowing out of the forge; eyes watering, he covered his nose with a sleeve and retreated out of the adapted skull of some long-dead beast. The demon smith followed sedately, a smirk twitching about his lips. Outside, fumaroles vented heat and sulphuric gases from deep within the earth; the smell was barely an improvement.
 
“Where is your young lady?” The spluttering hanyou pointed back over his shoulder. Totosai whistled sharply, and his spindly-legged bull plopped down in front of him, seemingly out of nowhere. He hopped aboard and they took off in the indicated direction, leaving Inuyasha in their dust.
 
By the time the hanyou caught up, Totosai was sipping a cup of tea with Kagome, nodding gravely as the girl briefed him on their latest difficulty. His eyes were sharp as Inuyasha threw himself down next to the fire, cursing under his breath. Kagome was just pouring him some tea, when the hanyou shot up to sitting and a loud smack made them jump.
 
“Myoga, you little blood-sucking bastard…I told you I'm not for snacking!” The flattened flea-demon popped back to normal and scuttled for the relative safety of Kagome's knee.
 
“Kagome-sama! How nice to eat…er, meet you again!”
 
She grinned down at the tiny demon, who was hopping up and down in excitement. “I'm off-limits, too, Myoga-san…you'll have to be nice to Totosai's bull over there…”
 
“Momo is delicious in his own right…but nothing compares to the flavour of inu-youkai…Inuyasha-sama, I am so very happy that you are all right…wait…your blood-scent has shifted again…uh-oh…” Myoga trailed off, and seated himself quietly, looking at Inuyasha worriedly. Totosai also looked on expectantly, until Inuyasha squirmed and ducked his head.
 
“I need to learn how to make the Tetsusaiga lighter, and I have to know now.”
 
“Just keep working at it, Inuyasha. Every time you defeat an enemy, the blade will become less difficult to manage.” The ancient smith picked his teeth with a blackened nail; Kagome blanched slightly.
 
Inuyasha's ears flattened into his hair. “I can't take the risk that I'll be disarmed again. I…lost the Tetsusaiga in battle, and then transformed…I killed humans…I don't want to become that…monster any more.” His voice was barely above a whisper. Kagome made a small noise of protest and scooted around the fire to burrow against his side. Totosai watched her, stroking his goatee thoughtfully.
 
“Hmm. So, the final word is, being a full demon wasn't quite what you expected; you don't want to transform any more.”
 
Haunted amber eyes met his. “Never again, if I can help it.” The smith's gaze bored into him, intense and assessing, before he nodded his head sagely.
 
“It is your own fang that I used as the repair matrix which has made the Tetsusaiga so heavy, Inuyasha. Before it was broken, your father's power alone protected you and those precious to you.” He paused and took a long sip of tea. “Now, you need to make the blade your own, instead of merely your father's heirloom. I guess there's nothing for it….” Totosai paused, and sighed heavily, rubbing his scabby hand over his scalp. He stared into the fire for a long moment, then fixed Inuyasha with a beady eye. “Inuyasha, you must kill Ryukotsusei.”
 
He was greeted with a curious look from the young woman, and Inuyasha growling agitatedly. He sighed again, and tilted his empty cup; Kagome took the hint and poured more tea, including a drip for Myoga. “Your mate has a right to know why this particular opponent is a worthy target for your fang, Inuyasha. Young lady, do you know how Inuyasha's father died?”
 
“Myoga-san told me…” She furrowed her brow while she recalled that long-ago conversation, on the night Inuyasha won Tetsusaiga and Sesshomaru lost an arm. “He died from injuries sustained while protecting his clan from a dragon-demon…” The meaning of ryu suddenly smacked her in the face; Totosai was nodding gravely as he watched the understanding dawn.
 
“Ryukotsusei was Inutaisho's opponent that long-ago day…it was a terrible battle, with a worse outcome. While Inutaisho died, the dragon was only sealed, and now sleeps in a state of suspension, very much like what you experienced, Inuyasha, when you were pinned to the Goshinboku.”
 
“So…he isn't dead? Merely sleeping?” The hanyou asked, his eyes hooded.
 
“Yes. If you defeat him, you will have surpassed your father…and the Tetsusaiga will truly become your own weapon.”
 
“How do I find him?”
 
“Myoga was with your father that fatal day; I believe he would be pleased to take you. I will escort your lady at a more leisurely pace, as I am sure she will object strenuously to being left behind.” Totosai's eyes were rather amused as he observed her swallowing those objections, and turning a bright smile on him in thanks.
 
None of them noticed the glistening, brightly-coloured winged insect perched on the branch of a tree overhead, its multi-faceted eyes glittering evilly…
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
A/N: Having a very bad case of the giggles at this moment. Just experienced one of those deluxe heated toilet seats from Japan, tradename `Toto'. Does that make our favourite demon smith the `Potty-Master'?
 
(nimbly dodges energetic swipes of a long-handled mallet…)
 
Obviously, I hadn't watched the third movie before starting this fic…so shoot me for not having the same death-timetable for Inu-papa…or using the `right' form of his name.
 
Krami on MM…tried to email you, and the system wouldn't bring up the appropriate screen at all. You might want to let them know. Glad you like the $20 words… hm, would that be $25 CDN? LOL! My personal favourite so far is `isinglass', although `polyandrous' and `salacious' are tied for second…