InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Phoenix Blade: Time Lapse ❯ Venomous ( Chapter 48 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: Don't own…don't sue. Tormenting them purely for my own sadistic pleasure. Nearly all characters and most situations owned by Rumiko Takahashi and Shogakukan Publishing.
 
A/N: Better late than never…heck of a week in Real Life. Coarse language alert…Inu really doesn't take to Tsubaki…
 
The Phoenix Blade: Time Lapse
Chapter 48: Venomous
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
Sengoku Jidai
 
“Kirara, your senses are so much better than ours…can you pick up anything at all?” Miroku leaned over the fire-cat's ruff to shout against the wind. Kirara swivelled one black ear back towards her passengers and gave a short yowl, then surged upward on the night-wind's currents, the flames burning higher around her furry paws.
 
Miroku sat up slightly and turned his head towards Sango, who had her cheek pressed against his shoulder blade as she hid from the biting wind. Personally, he wasn't too thrilled with this new seating arrangement, but since Kirara had made it clear that weight-redistribution was part of the deal for riding with her, he wasn't about to argue with the fire-cat. Besides, he had to admit, having Sango's firm body pressed up behind him and her arms wrapped tightly around his torso was a rather enjoyable sensation. The fact that she could easily unleash the Hiraikotsu was a minor detail.
 
He allowed himself a few moments to imagine what it would be like to have Sango naked and moulded to him like this, then gave his head a small shake, and got back to the matter at hand. It has to be close by… Sango suddenly rapped him smartly on the shoulder and pointed to their right.
 
“Over there, Kirara…I can see something!” she shouted in his ear. Then the sensation struck him as well, and he grabbed a double handful of ruff as the fire-cat executed an abrupt, stomach-lurching ninety-degree turn to the right and streaked towards a dark, purplish-blue dome that glimmered faintly under the starlight, almost obscured by the surrounding forest. It's so dark out…damn, tomorrow is the night of the new moon…Miroku shook his head, again, and focussed on what he now recognized as a formidable barrier. If Kagome-sama doesn't survive this curse, Inuyasha won't have to worry about another new moon
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
“Inuyasha, whoever she's talking to is upsetting her…”
 
“I know, runt…fuck, I hope the houshi and the slayer find the source of the curse soon…”
 
“They will…Kirara can sense demonic auras better than either of them, so she'll lead them to it.”
 
Damn!
 
“Quit punching the wall, Inuyasha. You're knocking stuff down from the rafters onto Kagome's face every time you do that.”
 
Fuck…”
 
“It's making me crazy too, but could you try to relax a bit? Those red eyes and fangs are making me nervous…”
 
“Aw, shit…sorry, runt. We didn't get a chance earlier to tell you that my youkai and I have called a truce, so get used to seeing these markings.”
 
“Um…does that mean you're… five-eighths youkai or something?”
 
“Uh…don't know about that…”
 
“Are you stronger than Koga?”
 
“Keh! You mean you thought that wimpy wolf was stronger than me all the time? C'mere, brat…”
 
“Leggo! I meant…never mind…okay, are you stronger than your brother?”
 
“Definitely. I wiped out the dragon demon that killed my old man with the `Backlash Wave'.”
 
“Wow! Really? The Tetsusaiga has a new attack?”
 
“Yeah…and Kagome thinks it happened because of my youkai.”
 
“Hm…so we'll see your markings when you're under stress, huh?”
 
“Uh…not necessarily just stressed…”
 
“Why are you blushing, dog-breath?”
 
“Keh! Never mind, runt. Fold up her tunic and slide it under her head…”
 
“Kagome's really sweating, Inuyasha…I'm worried…”
 
“Why don't you get her some fresh water from the village well, Shippo? The stuff in the canteens is old…we should try to get her to drink something…”
 
“I'm on it…”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Kagome floated in a star-spangled sea, with no sense of up or down, time or space, strangely unable to feel her limbs; her heartbeat sounded sluggish in her own ears. The harsh, high-pitched voice filled her ears again.
 
Kill him. Kill Inuyasha!
 
She squinted into the velvety blackness.
Wh-what? Wh-who…are…you?
You willdo my bidding, girl. Kill him!
She felt her hands begin to move, and tried to reclaim ownership of them, but failed. N-n-no…
I will not permit this. A familiar, deeper, voice chimed in.
F-fenik…? She blinked at the darkened dreamscape.
Relax, sweetheart…I've got you. The voice held a touch of humour, and her hand was clasped just as her shoulders were circled comfortingly; an intelligent face marked with dark purple striping swam into focus, fangs poking out of his smile.
The…shards… She tried to squeeze his fingers and failed.
I won't let you go; Midoriko needs our help, Kagome. Silver eyes rimmed with long dark lashes gleamed at her; she blinked at him, since she couldn't nod, but then managed to give the sword-demon a lop-sided smirk.
So…formal…all…of…a…sudden? You're…scaring…me… He grinned back and ruffled her bangs with his claws.
You daretry to cross me? I demand your name, insolent creature!
Fenik lifted his head to glare off into the darkness, his body tense. Shove it up your ass, bitch was his terse response.
There was a long pause. Who are you?
Fenik glanced briefly down at Kagome to give her a quick smile. He raised his head, tossed his hair back over his shoulders, and narrowed his molten eyes at a point off in the distance… then thundered his challenge into the void.
I am Fenikkusuken, the Hound of the Phoenix do your worst.
Oh, I plan to, you arrogant fool. A low, evil laugh chilled Kagome's blood, and then the internal struggle began.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
The kit gathered an armload of canteens and scampered off under the door mat. Inuyasha watched him go, then ran his claws through Kagome's bangs one more time and adjusted the green cloak over her before bending to kiss her brow. The girl stirred slightly, her lips moving again; he softly kissed her again before standing up and beginning to pace. Stopping himself with an effort, he instead strode to the doorway and pushed the hanging mat aside to look up at the sky, absent-mindedly noting that the moon was a merest sliver.
 
Dammit…they're taking too long!
The cat will do her job.
Kagome's suffering…
We are here. Our presence calms her.
We can't do anything for her…
 
His enhanced hearing caught the tiniest, softest creak as a floor board rubbed against its fellows; he whipped around…and a glowing arrow tip splintered the doorframe beside him.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
“How impudent! The wench is resisting me!” A frown marred Tsubaki's pale brow; she pouted her lips and studied the blackened Jewel before her.
 
The baboon-skin robed figure stirred behind her. “I warned you that Kagome was not to be taken lightly as an opponent.”
 
“Don't insult me, Naraku. This little chit is nowhere near my level…and who is `Fenikkusuken'?” Tsubaki snapped, her voice sharp. The baboon pelt shrugged. “It called itself the `Hound of the Phoenix',” she elaborated. The head regarded her with its blank eyes and shook its head. “Hmph. So it wishes to challenge me for her, does it…”
 
“Kagome is Kikyo's reincarnation…she will not go down easily.”
 
Tsubaki cast a cool glance over her shoulder at Naraku, and then spoke, more to herself than her audience. “Kikyo, eh? That fool…she'd fallen in love with a worthless hanyou…” She didn't notice the baboon pelt twitch with irritation at her last word. “It should have been so easy to steal the Shikon Jewel, as weakened as she was…and yet, she deflected my curse right back at me…and then refused to finish me off. Her face…that arrogant, superior face…how I wished to see it crumble in defeat…” The shikigami nudged her cheek and she stroked it absently; then a cruel smile curved her lips. “A reincarnation will serve just as well…”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Inuyasha stood very still, watching Kagome intently. The girl was pouring with sweat, panting heavily, her bow taut, a flaring arrow pointing straight at him, her eyes completely black and the shards throbbing just inside her flesh. “Kagome?” he forced his voice to stay very calm, hoping that Shippo didn't come flying back in the door and attract her attention.
 
Kill him!
 
“Y-ya…sha…r-run…” He tensed; her brow furrowed with effort. Silver spiralled farther into her eyes for a split second and she managed to rasp out, “Get out of here, Inuyasha! I can't…control…my body…uhhh!
 
Kill him now!
 
Her eyes gone blank again, the arrow-tip steadied and she drew the bowstring back a little further, even as the sweat rolled down her face. Inuyasha moved slightly to block the door more fully, to prevent the kit's easy entrance if he were so unlucky as to walk in on the middle of this disaster-in-the-making.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
“Miroku! Why aren't the sutras working?” Sango shouted over the rush of wind, as the fire-cat circled the glimmering dome and yet another batch of sutras sizzled before disintegrating into puffs of ash.
 
“I am embarrassed to admit this, Sango, but my abilities are not enough to penetrate such a powerful dark energy. Kagome-sama is the only one who could do so.”
 
“She'll die if we don't!” Sango's voice veered close to panic; Miroku squeezed her hands where they were clasped in front of him, and tried to think of something reassuring to say, when his eye was caught by a flicker of movement on the ground. Sango noticed it at the same time. “Th-that's…Kikyo-sama…” she gasped. “What's she doing here?”
 
It was indeed the undead miko who was now stopped just outside the pulsating wall of demonic energy, her white and red robes vivid against the dark purple. She cocked her head to the side, seemingly contemplating something, glanced up at the watchers…and then briskly strode right through the barrier as if it wasn't even there. The two riders stared as her figure disappeared from sight inside the dome.
 
“I cannot imagine what Kikyo-sama is doing here…but if she is still in league with Naraku, it does not bode well for Kagome-sama. I believe I will try another round of sutras, Sango, as futile as that might be. I have to do something.”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
“Tsubaki, a rather amusing thought just occurred to me,” Naraku purred. “Let us pit these two pathetic lovers against one another. If Inuyasha chooses to save his own life by fleeing, strike down Kagome.”
 
“Ooh, that is delightfully twisted, Naraku,” Tsubaki smirked. “I can live with that being my revenge upon Kikyo.” She tapped her shikigami's head, and another drop of blood coated the Jewel shard as she leaned in to watch the results.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Inuyasha took a step towards Kagome, never taking his eyes from her face, watching the sweat drip off her jaw and spatter onto her tunic as she gasped with the effort of breathing. The bow and arrow shook wildly, but the tip didn't move from the bead she had drawn on his chest. Kagome licked her lips once, twice, swallowing hard. Silver briefly rimmed her eyes. “Run, Yasha…get away…please…”
 
His voice was as soft as his eyes were keen. “I'll never leave you behind, Kagome…never.” Slowly lowering himself into a crouch, tensing for a leap, he watched as the arrow tracked downwards with his movement.
 
Yash…” Her voice was anguished as the silver retreated to the barest verge of her irises. Her hand took a firmer grip on her bow in defiance of her wishes, and she tried desperately to close her mind against the command echoing insistently inside her head.
 
Kill Inuyasha!
 
“No…” she whispered brokenly, as her fingers disobeyed her and released the bowstring. Kagome closed her eyes and felt the darkness pulse triumphantly inside her head as her knees buckled.
 
Inuyasha sprang as the sizzling bolt homed in on him.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
“The hanyou chose death at her hands…” Tsubaki mused. “I wonder how it felt, to be struck down again by the woman he loves…a brilliant scheme, Naraku, to have Kikyo's reincarnation be the instrument of his doom…Oh!
 
The golem disintegrated in a burst of violet light, and Tsubaki found herself facing her own nightmare. Her jaw dropped, and she backed up a step until she bumped against her makeshift altar as the apparition strode forward, trampling on the mud and dirt of Naraku's creation. “H-how…?” she quavered.
 
Dark eyes as hard and unforgiving as granite bored right through the white-haired priestess. “You…” Kikyo retorted, investing that single word with as much venom as she could.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Inuyasha caught Kagome's limp form just as Shippo careened back through the door, canteens jouncing and bouncing. He skidded to an abrupt halt, and one of the sloshing containers whacked into his rump, sending him flying. The hanyou put out one hand and stopped the kit's face from meeting the wall.
 
“Got it under control, runt?” Shippo paused, both at the gentle tone, and the way the hanyou carefully adjusted the girl in his arms, stroking her hair away from her face. Glancing around, he then noticed the arrows sticking out of the floor and the doorframe.
 
“What happened, Inuyasha? Why was Kagome firing arrows? Is she all right? Are you all right?”
 
The hanyou deflected the kit's questions with a wave of his hand. “Dunno, runt. The shards seemed to be controlling her, and she fired off a couple of shots at me. I think Naraku's playing games…” At that instant, Kagome's eyes blinked slowly open…and her irises were mostly silver. She stared blindly for a moment while Inuyasha held his breath; and then she looked at him.
 
Oh…Yasha…did I…? A slender hand wavered up towards his face; he caught it and kissed her palm.
 
“Keh! You take me out? Not in a million years, wench.” He smiled down at her, relief flooding his body, and then hugged her tightly. Shippo pulled off the canteens and wormed his way into the embrace, earning only a token growl from the hanyou. As the kit patted her cheek, Inuyasha noticed that the shards in her throat still glowed malevolently.
 
“Kagome? Who was talking to you, inside your head?” he asked, interrupting Shippo's relieved babble.
 
Grey-flecked silver eyes fastened on him; Kagome licked her lips. “I don't know who the voice belonged to…but I can sense a large Jewel shard, Inuyasha. Please, you have to take me there.”
 
The kit started to protest. “But, you're still too weak to fight…”
 
She smiled at him and petted his head, but her gleaming-metallic eyes were unnerving. “Only one person has a chunk of Jewel big enough to emit an aura of this size, Ship-dip. I have no choice but to fight if Naraku is involved. May I have a drink of water, please?” Shippo scooted over to the pile of containers and retrieved one for her. Kagome methodically unscrewed the cap and tilted her head back for a drink, then replaced the lid, her movements far too mechanical to be natural.
 
Shippo eyed her. “Kagome, you don't seem…exactly right…” he opined cautiously.
 
Her smile was tight. “Fenik is helping me keep the voice at bay, but it's really hard…”
 
“Who's Fenik?”
 
“Long story, runt…we'll tell you when we get back.” Inuyasha stood up, lifting Kagome with him. She wobbled badly and clung to him for a moment, her vision swimming.
 
“You look after Kagome, dog-breath…or else. I'll get the medical stuff ready for when you come back.” The kit shook his finger at the two of them, and then gathered up her scattered weaponry, stuffing the bow back into the quiver, but hesitating before touching her thrumming sword.
 
“Fenik won't bite you, Shippo. He's saving his energy for our opponent.” Kagome smiled wanly.
 
The kit's eyes were very large as he handed over the gear. “Fenik's your sword? And you talk to him…or her?”
 
“He's sort of a sword-demon, Shippo…”
 
“…and he has an attitude problem. Come on, wench. Got things to do, demons to kill.” He boosted her onto his back, and Shippo scurried to pull the door mat aside as the hanyou ducked underneath and out.
 
Inuyasha stood still, waiting while Kagome shifted into a more comfortable position. “Which way?” he asked. The girl was lying heavily against his shoulder, her fingers digging into his haori, and he was sure he heard a slight whimper escape her lips. “Kagome?” Her head lifted slightly, and she pointed briefly with a shaking finger. “To the south-east? Got it. You hang in there, wench…”
 
“Don't count me out yet…” Her voice was wispy, but she gave his shoulders a comforting squeeze. Cursing Naraku violently under his breath, he launched them into the night.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
“How is it that you stand before me, yet your reincarnation lies cursed, Kikyo?” Tsubaki gaped at the woman who radiated power and cool detachment. “It is fifty years since our clash…yet you look just the same!”
 
“Obviously, you struck a deal with a demon, Tsubaki, to maintain your youthful beauty. How pathetic, to give up your pure soul for such a shallow reason.”
 
Tsubaki's blue eyes became very keen as she intently studied Kikyo. A sneer curled her perfect lip. “I see it now…you are a construct, a hollow shell…animated by the souls of the dead. You presume to look down upon me for consorting with demons, when you are no better?”
 
Kikyo's dark eyes never once flickered nor showed any sign of agitation. “I am not here to debate with you Tsubaki…in fact, I shall warn you. Naraku intends to use you to fight this battle for him; you will never be permitted to keep the Sacred Jewel.”
 
“Feh. Once I have killed this `Kagome', Naraku will be hard pressed to track me…” Tsubaki tossed her head dismissively.
 
Kikyo chuckled darkly. “Naraku has pitted you against Kagome? Your failure is then foretold. You cannot hope to match her with your feeble strength.”
 
“Hmph. She was unable to resist my shikigami's attack...” Tsubaki shrugged, and then her attention was caught by something on her altar. “Kikyo! Are you purifying the Jewel?”
 
“ `Tis not my doing, Tsubaki. I suspect you will have an opportunity to meet Kagome face-to-face very soon, and measure your power against hers.” At that moment, a thunderclap of sound shook the shrine and made Tsubaki jump, while Kikyo merely arched a delicate eyebrow. “In fact, I believe she has arrived…”
 
The white-haired priestess grabbed the Jewel, flew to the shrine's door and opened it just enough to peer out. She saw a neko-youkai, bearing two riders, ranging towards her position…and a crimson-clad, silver-haired being landing halfway across the meadow, carrying someone or something on its back. She heard one of the fire-cat's riders call out to the solitary figure, asking if `Kagome-sama' was all right, and a rough voice bark an affirmative.
 
Tsubaki could not contain her surprise that Inuyasha was apparently still alive and well. “How could Kagome miss him? It was almost point-blank range for her arrow…urk!” Her head was painfully snapped backwards by a hand fisted in her hair, while Kikyo drove her knee into her spine, pinning her to the door.
 
“So, you tried to have Kagome kill Inuyasha, eh? A sordid re-enactment of my final day upon this earth… if you are to survive this encounter, Tsubaki, remember this…Inuyasha's life is mine. If you kill him, your life will be forfeit in his place.” The dark priestess shivered, and then Kikyo released her hold and backed away.
 
Tsubaki occupied herself with smoothing her hair and patting her robes to disguise how badly her hands were shaking. “What about Kagome? Have you no care for your reincarnation's fate?”
 
“I care not what happens to her, but I have no fear of Kagome's life at your hands. You will lose all that you have gained, and more, as penance for committing this folly. I leave you to your fate.” Kikyo turned and headed towards the rear of the shrine, where a small door stood ajar from her earlier entry.
 
Tsubaki uncurled her fingers to contemplate the Jewel, whose violet-pink beauty reflected against her palm. Her ghostly snake coiled around her, resting its head on her shoulder. “Shall we go greet our guests, my dear? You will have a second chance to taste the girl's blood.”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
“Where is Kikyo-sama? Is she inside the shrine with the caster of the curse?”
 
Inuyasha froze in the act of lowering Kagome to the ground; his head whipped around towards Sango. “What did you say, slayer? Kikyo is here?”
 
“We saw Kikyo-sama pass through the barrier, Inuyasha, a little while before you and Kagome arrived.” The doors of the shrine flew open, forestalling any further comment.
 
Kagome's fingers tightened on Inuyasha's shoulders. “That's her…that's the one who cursed me…she has the Jewel…” Her voice was rasping and harsh in his ears.
 
“So you are the infamous `Inuyasha', the hanyou that stole Kikyo's heart, eh? I am the priestess Tsubaki; pleased to make your acquaintance, I'm sure.” She paused, and cast a sharp eye over the group. “A fairly unimpressive rag-tag band, I must say. I wonder why Naraku is so keen to have at least two of you eliminated?”
 
Inuyasha steadied Kagome, his thoughts whirling, as Miroku stepped forward a few paces, his staff jingling softly. “Where is Kikyo-sama? What have you done with her?”
 
“She has left her reincarnation to her fate; while she begged me for the favour of Inuyasha's life, I declined…” Tsubaki enjoyed the discomfiture that caused the group to draw closer around the silver-eyed girl who clung to the hanyou's side, a bow in her hand. “And you must be Kagome…your reputation precedes you, but it is certainly undeserved.”
 
Inuyasha growled, low and angry, before locking eyes with the monk. “Look after Kagome…I'm going to take this bitch down before she does any more harm…” He whispered softly to the girl, prying her resisting fingers from his haori, “I don't want to risk you any more; stay back out of range…”
 
Kagome let go unwillingly; sweat was streaking down her face again and blackness threatening around the edges of her vision. “So long as she has the Jewel, I'm within her reach…be careful… if Naraku is involved, it's never as simple as it seems…”
 
The hanyou leaned in to kiss her damp cheek, and then handed her over to Sango's care. Nodding to Miroku, he turned and stalked towards where the priestess stood on the shrine's wide deck, the airy serpent bobbing eerily above her shoulder. “I don't know what deal you have with Naraku, but for what you did to Kagome…I'll kill you.” His claw flicked the Tetsusaiga's bladeguard.
 
Tsubaki smirked triumphantly. “Go ahead and draw your sword, Inuyasha. It will sign the girl's death-warrant. So long as I have the Jewel, I also hold her life.” She squeezed the glowing ball in her hand; when she opened her fingers, it had turned to gleaming black. Kagome let out a strangled cry and collapsed into Sango's arms; Inuyasha flinched at the sound.
 
“You fucking bitch…” he seethed, clenching his fists so hard he drove his claws into his own palms.
 
“The price of the Jewel is yours and Kagome's deaths. Since I am amused by her pitiful attempts to resist me, I will begin with you, Inuyasha…” The skin of the left side of her face developed a scale-like texture, and her hair rose as her demonic aura increased…then out of her left eye came a twisting, tumbling, roiling mass that resolved itself into a strange bird-like demon. It had two massive clawed feet, a long plumed tail…but instead of a beak, it had a dog's head and fur. Glowing green eyes and a slavering tongue completed the image. Inuyasha huffed in irritation.
 
“Ya got strange taste in demons, bitch…but it's still no match for me.”
 
“Fight back, and Kagome dies now. Let's see how long you can dodge its claws, shall we?” The beast pounced at him, curved talons slicing the air at the spot he had been a moment before. Cursing, Inuyasha began a deadly game of `keep away', staying one step ahead of the misshapen creature as it pursued him across the meadow, the blows from its paws sending clumps of grass and rocks flying.
 
Kagome slumped, struggling for breath, trying to keep her eyes focussed on the action and not give way to the darkness clawing at her mind. Dimly, she overheard Miroku's and Sango's tense conversation above her head. “Her intention is undoubtedly to kill both Inuyasha and Kagome-sama, so we have no time to lose. I suspect that the serpent accompanying Tsubaki-sama is the phantom creature that attacked Kagome-sama. If we can kill it, the curse should be broken.”
 
“So, while Inuyasha keeps her demon busy…”
 
“Stand ready to assist, Sango. Kirara…please protect Kagome-sama. I will attempt to use sutras to disable the priestess and destroy her familiar.”
 
“But, Miroku…your sutras didn't work on the barrier…”
 
“I can only try, Sango. Kagome-sama's suffering will not end until the creature is dead, and while Inuyasha is prevented from using his entire strength, the initiative is ours.”
 
“Very well…I'll cover your back. Miroku…be careful.”
 
“Thank you, koi. I will.”
 
Kagome watched as the monk crouched, and then took off at a dead run towards the white-haired woman who was watching the murderous antics of her demonic partner with eager anticipation. Unfortunately, she spotted him just as he threw the sutras, and flung up an arm, easily repelling them. A split second later, a set of massive talons gouged the earth exactly where Miroku had been standing. The monk himself was at that moment airborne, hauled out of range by a furious hanyou.
 
Dammit, houshi! I left you in charge of Kagome!”
 
Miroku gripped Inuyasha's wrist. “We must kill that snake twining around the priestess, Inuyasha. I believe that its death will break the curse…” They touched down a little unsteadily, while the hanyou stared at him, processing his words
 
You little bitch! How dare you!” They both snapped their heads around at Tsubaki's infuriated scream…just in time to witness her dodging a near-miss by a flaming arrow. Inuyasha grabbed Miroku again and yanked him out of the way of another ground-shattering strike, watching as Kagome wavered on her knees with Sango steadying her shoulders, readying another bolt, her aura gaining strength around her. Tsubaki glared, incandescent with rage. “No more games…now you die!
 
Kagome flamed and fired the missile just as Tsubaki's shikigami dripped another mote of blood onto the Jewel… the extra grip on her body that this gave Tsubaki caused her to miss, and she began to topple forward as the shards in her flesh throbbed painfully. Sango's arm prevented her from eating grass, and then she had a face full of fur, heard a reassuring rumble, and Kirara lifted her off the ground and away from the whistling thump of the demon's paw.
 
Abruptly, she was held in strong arms, and Inuyasha's urgent voice was faint in her ear. “Hang on, Kagome…koishii…don't let her win…” She was set gently down, felt lips brush her cheek and then Inuyasha stood over her, cracking his knuckles, snarling viciously. “Get the fuck out of my way, you piece of shit! Iron reaver soul stealer! Sango was again supporting her as chunks of demon scattered across the meadow. Inuyasha dove through the fall-out of his attack to reach for and slice through the shikigami's neck. Tsubaki skipped backwards out of his range; Inuyasha landed on the grass at the foot of the stairs, his fangs bared, amber eyes flickering with red. Miroku lunged and drove the steel tip of his staff through the creature's head, and it dissolved into vapour.
 
The priestess' smile was cruel as she preened. “Fool! You think it is that simple? The shikigami is only one part of the curse! The Jewel is the key…and now Kagome will die in excruciating pain. Follow her quickly, Inuyasha, and you may meet her at the hell-gates.” The scales reappeared around her eye and changed colour, turning brilliant blue-green…and then another horde of demons poured forth, as hideous as anything conjured by Naraku.
 
Sango swore over Kagome's head, her body tensing as part of the swarm broke off and headed straight towards Miroku. Kagome tapped the slayer's greave. “Go to him…Kirara will protect me…”
 
“Kagome? Are you sure?” Sango's hand tightened on her shoulder. Kagome weakly nodded, and then the other girl's warm presence was gone, her black-clad figure whirling the Hiraikotsu as she raced towards the monk. Kirara moved to stand over top of Kagome, the fire-cat's hot breath stirring her hair.
 
Nixie? How ya doin?
Shitty…
Still got your bow?
Yeah…
Put it down; it's time to let me out.
You mean…?
A little `ignition', if you please.
But…can Midoriko…?
She's in a lot of pain, but she's a game gal…come on…I wanna play with the `nice' bitch.
Gimme a sec…
 
Ignite.
 
Kirara let out a startled meow and leapt away as Kagome's aura flared. The girl dropped her bow into the grass, and awkwardly reached underneath her body to draw the sizzling katana, holding it honed edge outward, feeling the pain from the contaminated shards recede to the outer edges of her consciousness.
 
Now what?
Really concentrate, because you'll probably only get one shot at her.
Like I can control you…
I hate to limit myself, but you can. Imagine me in the form of a heroic, extremely handsome dog, about that neko-youkai's size…
I might be able to manage a flop-eared puppy…
As long as it has big teeth…smart-ass. Midoriko is depending on us.
 
Kagome drew in a deep breath, gritted her teeth and formed a picture in her mind's eye of a large dog, teeth bared, snarling defiance…and heard Fenik's snicker. Power surged down her arm and flooded into the sword; she could faintly hear Midoriko's voice whispering encouragement. She watched Tsubaki closely, noting the coldly amused expression on the dark priestess's face as her companions slashed their way through the writhing mass of demonic flesh. Suddenly, that familiar unsettling sensation, accompanied by a chill breeze, raised the hair on the back of her neck.
 
Here it comes, Nixie
Gotta visual…
 
Miroku completed the follow-through of a swipe, ducking as the Hiraikotsu whistled past his head on its return trajectory. He jumped when Sango yelped, and then he made a surprised noise when he followed her line of sight. Crouching protectively over Kagome was an enormous snarling dog, detailed with flaming eyes and shimmering silver fur. Its ruff was tipped in black and standing straight up, its tufted ears laid back and its tail lashing angrily. “What in all the hells is that?” Sango hissed.
 
Miroku opened his mouth, when he sensed something unpleasantly familiar… and knew that they had been outflanked. The shikigami was on its way towards their friend, and they were too far away to intervene. The same thought occurred simultaneously to Inuyasha, trapped on the far side of the meadow and fighting alongside Kirara. “Shit! We've been had…”
 
A chilling laugh pealed across the space in the sudden stillness. “Too late! Tear out her throat along with the shards, my pet!”
 
With Fenik's reassuring rumble overhead, Kagome grinned tightly and pushed herself up, gripping her pulsating hilt, silver eyes narrowing as she tracked the creature's rapid approach. Back at `cha, bitch… At the last possible moment, she drew her arm tight to her chest, and then slashed with all her strength at the shikigami, catching the creature full in the face and flinging it back directly at Tsubaki. Fenik howled…and the stunned watchers saw a bolt of silver lightning streak after the snake, wind around it and follow it into the dark priestess' left eye. It exited a split second later, minus the shikigami, as Tsubaki fell to the deck, screaming, helplessly writhing in pain from the dark power of her own curse…and the Jewel rolled out of her hand, instantly turning a brilliant violet-pink as it was purified.
 
A musical note rang in Kagome's ears, and the now rosy-hued shards erupted from her flesh. She managed to catch them in her palm before she rolled onto her side, closing her eyes with sudden exhaustion.
 
Midoriko…?
Thank you, Kagome…that was very well done…
Hey, Riko! Nice shot our girl has, eh?
Yes, Fenik. Thank you as well.
It was nothing; Nixie had the worst part of the deal.
Indeed…you must rest now, Kagome.
Heh…snoring already.
 
Distracted by his mate's apparent collapse, Inuyasha raced for her, and was therefore out of position, again, when Tsubaki recovered long enough to grab the now-purified Jewel. As she did so, two chunks of dismembered flesh that could only barely be described as demons any longer rose from the ground and wrapped themselves around her, lifting her and carrying her away from the battlefield. Sango shouted and threw the Hiraikotsu, but missed, and then Kirara swooped down, urging the couple onto her back as Inuyasha unleashed the `Wind Scar'.
 
The shrine collapsed on itself, smoking in the light of early dawn. The hanyou swore luridly before sheathing the Tetsusaiga and turning to Kagome. Dropping to his knees beside her, after assuring himself that she was merely sleeping, he carefully peeled her fingers away from the hilt of her sword and replaced it in the scabbard, ignoring the mild vibration it gave off. Sango picked up the fallen bow and tucked it into Kagome's quiver; Miroku admired the curve of the slayer's hip, considered indulging himself, but then thought better of it.
 
Inuyasha cradled the limp girl in his arms, gazing intently at her for a few moments before looking up at his companions. “The bitch got away, and with the Jewel.”
 
“Which means that Naraku will reclaim it shortly. In a way, I do feel sorry for Tsubaki-sama, as I am sure he will not be gentle; she was a fool for involving herself with him. I do wonder what happened to Kikyo-sama, and what role she played in this scheme?” Miroku noted that Inuyasha flinched at the undead miko's name, but said nothing.
 
Sango cautiously touched Inuyasha's sleeve. “Inuyasha, what was that…dog…that appeared over Kagome? And... why do you have your youkai markings…? ”
 
The hanyou sighed and lifted Kagome off the ground. “Let's get back to that village and the runt. There's a few things you need to know…”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
“Curse that bastard Inuyasha…curse them all !” Tsubaki slammed her hand onto the ground, glaring at the smoking demonic remnants dissolving into the soft morning air. “Every one of the demons I've harboured…every last one…destroyed by that damn hanyou. Ah, well…” she opened her clenched fist and admired the pure beauty of the Shikon Jewel glowing in her hand. Tilting it so that it rolled back and forth on her palm, she smiled and stroked it with a fingertip. “So long as I have this, I no longer require a demon partner…wh-what? What is…noooo!”
 
Inside her left eye socket, a buzzing rumble began, and suddenly a multicoloured, winged insect burst forth, dipped to seize the Jewel in its claspers and flew rapidly away into the dawn before Tsubaki could react. Stunned, her jaw slack, she finally gathered herself enough to spit out a vituperative stream of words that most priestesses would have blushed to hear, never mind know.
 
On a nearby promontory, Kikyo watched and listened, a faint hint of a satisfied smile curving her lips, then turned away.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Kirara pacing him overhead with Sango and Miroku on her back, Inuyasha flew through the trees, holding Kagome close to his heart. She had turned her face into his shoulder and fisted a hand in his haori as he took her aloft, but other than that, gave no sign of awakening.
 
We're gonna have to stay in that village another night at least…
Hm? Why?
Think, dumbass. What's tonight?
Oh, right. You go all weak-kneed on me.
Thanks for your support, asshole.
Don't mention it.
 
They made it back just as the village was waking up; the sharp eyes of the villagers noted that the visitors seemed to have been in some trouble, and that one young lady appeared injured. Shippo had barely finished jumping up and down demanding immediate answers and risking his neck with the hanyou, when a young girl arrived lugging a futon, closely followed by another girl carrying two buckets, one full of heated water and the other of rice porridge. Miroku and Sango thanked the girls graciously, and then hauled Shippo off with them to search out the headman to request permission to stay until their companion recovered enough to resume their travels.
 
Inside, Inuyasha laid out the futon next to the fire-pit, noting that Shippo had removed the arrows and propped them up against the wall next to the door, then carefully stripped Kagome out of her weapons, boots and armour, right down to her innermost layer. Using the warm water and a corner of his trailing sleeve, he wiped her skin clean of the sweat and dust, then tucked a blanket from one of the packs around her. Sango came in first, and he averted his eyes as she changed into her yukata and let down her hair.
 
When Shippo and Miroku came in, the kit now silent due to the monk's warning, the slayer served up the porridge, and the kit made tea. The meal was quiet as they all focussed on their own thoughts. Miroku broke the silence first. “The headman has agreed to let us stay as long as we need to; his wife is very concerned about Kagome-sama and has offered to be her nurse.” He had already held up his hand when the hanyou growled. “I told her that she merely required rest, as she did battle with a demon. They think we're all slayers, and that you and Shippo are her servants.”
 
“Don't care what they think, so long as they leave us alone.”
 
“This hut is as good as any other for the requirements of this evening, Inuyasha. I will protect it with sutras, and if Kagome-sama is recovered somewhat, she can add her sacred arrows.” The hanyou grunted, and they fell silent for a moment. The other three all glanced around at each other, and then the two males urged Sango with significant looks to begin the questioning, reasoning that the irritated inu-youkai was less likely to lash out at her. Sango gave a slight nod, and cleared her throat, suddenly aware that all the attention was focussed on her.
 
“Inuyasha, may I ask you something?”
 
The hanyou rubbed his hand over his face, then laid the Tetsusaiga across his knees and shifted so that he could rest his hand on Kagome's blanket-covered foot. “Go ahead, Sango. You have a right to know what's going on with us…”
 
She glanced at Miroku, then asked, “Why are your youkai markings appearing and disappearing, along with an enhanced aura?”
 
Inuyasha stared into the fire for a long moment. “You know I went to Totosai…after the bandits. I didn't want to transform anymore, and wanted him to teach me how to make Tetsusaiga lighter. He told me to kill Ryukotsusei, the dragon-demon that brought about my father's death, with Tetsusaiga. I had to out-do my old man in order to make the blade my own…”
 
“I assume you were successful…?” Miroku prompted.
 
“Yeah. But while I was fighting him, I lost the Tetsusaiga, and I transformed. However, this time, I was able to talk to my youkai…and we came to an agreement…sort of. In order to protect Kagome…and all of you…we worked together to retrieve the sword, and the greater level of demonic power allowed me to not only bring on the `Wind Scar', but also released Tetsusaiga's ultimate attack, the `Backlash Wave'.
 
“That explains why your markings come and go…so your demon blood will activate when you feel threatened? Only then?” Sango asked. She wondered why Inuyasha blushed crimson and wouldn't meet her eyes.
 
Shippo leaned over and whispered loudly, “He turned the same colour when I asked him that, too.”
 
Miroku caught on to what the others did not, but restrained himself from teasing the hanyou, who looked like he was ready to crawl under the floorboards. “If I may guess, Inuyasha's youkai also makes itself known to Kagome-sama under certain circumstances.” He received a startled look from the flustered hanyou, and knew he'd hit the mark. “Kagome-sama holds a special place in our hanyou's heart, indeed, if she is able to, ah… interact with such a powerful youkai without fear.”
 
Sango blinked, and knew she had missed something, but figured that she could always get it out of Miroku later. “May I ask you something else, Inuyasha?”
 
“About that dog, right?” She nodded. He rubbed the back of his neck while wincing at the memory of the last time he had the pleasure of the spectral dog snarling at him. “I haven't seen that particular form before, but that was Kagome's sword.” The slayer's jaw nearly hit her lap; Inuyasha couldn't help but grin at the look of sheer astonishment on her face.
 
“So Kagome-sama's sword has a physical manifestation, and it happens to be a dog?” Miroku's eyebrows had disappeared into his hairline. “You do not find this to be…somewhat coincidental?”
 
Inuyasha squirmed a bit, with Fenik's words from that night at the well spinning around his mind. `Would you wish to engage your own father in hand-to-hand combat?' “Keh! Don't really care if it's a `coincidence' or not…the sword works, it protects her…I don't have a problem with it. Do you?” His tone of voice indicated that the monk had better not pry any farther, and Miroku subsided, but his dark eyes remained sharp.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Kagome slept the rest of the day, and Inuyasha refused to leave her side. While Shippo looked after the horses, and then found some village children to play with, Miroku made the rounds of households desiring blessings and gave away some protective sutras. Sango, now as demurely dressed as any of the village women, accompanied him; she blushed to be introduced as his wife. She turned an even darker shade of pink when several matrons slyly winked at her and asked if the rumours were true about monks being passionate lovers. Seeing her intense mortification, the women laughed and patted her cheeks, assuring her that they were only teasing, but Sango would have scuttled for the safety of their hut if not for a firm grip on her shoulder and Miroku's gentle smile.
 
“Mind them not, Sango. They were accepting you as a woman, one of their own…nothing to be upset about.”
 
“Oh, but…I mean…” Her cheeks flared again, and Miroku put his arm around her shoulder.
 
“Let us go for a brief walk together…some fresh air will do us both some good, since we must stay in the hut with a grumpy hanyou all night.”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
The girl woke up just as the sun went down, and a bucket of delicious-smelling stew arrived on their doorstep. Sango stepped out to thank the person who delivered it, and then she and Shippo walked the young girl back to her own hut.
 
Inuyasha leaned over her as she sighed and shifted on the futon; when Kagome slowly blinked her eyes open, all she saw at first was a fall of black silk pooling on the sheet beside her face. Turning her head, she looked straight into anxious dark violet eyes…and smiled. “Did I sleep all day, koibito?”
 
“Pretty much, wench. Dinner's arrived, so good timing.”
 
“Ah, Kagome-sama…you have returned to us!” Miroku's tone was jovial as he stepped over the threshold. “If you are feeling up to it after our meal, perhaps you could add some sacred arrows to the sutras I've emplaced around this building for tonight?”
 
“Hello to you, too, houshi-doushi…can I wake up first?” As she spoke, she reached up to run her fingers into Inuyasha's dark hair and pull him down for a soft kiss. It lasted a little longer than either intended, and was interrupted by a rude noise.
 
“Geez, dog-breath…she barely wakes up and you're all over her. I'd tell you to get a room, but…”
 
Kagome looked over at Shippo. “Nice to see you, too, brat.” She stilled at the slayer's smile of greeting, then beckoned Sango over to her, struggling to sit up. Inuyasha helped, and as soon as Sango knelt beside the futon, Kagome wrapped her arms around the other girl's shoulders, hugging her tightly.
 
Sango was puzzled, but then slowly returned the embrace. “What is it, Kagome? Are…you all right?”
 
“Yes,” came the muffled reply, and then Kagome raised her head to look Sango directly in the eye. “I swear to you that Kohaku will be saved from Naraku's control. If what happened to me was a small taste of what it must be like for him…no one deserves to be treated like that.”
 
“Oh…” The slayer was startled by the vehemence in Kagome's voice, but she understood where it was coming from. “I hope we get the chance very soon…”
 
“So do I…the sooner the better.” The girls smiled grimly at each other, and then the moment passed.
 
Shippo bustled around with mess tins brimming with the savoury-smelling food. “Let's eat already! Anybody up for an all-night poker game?”
 
Kagome eyed the kit appraisingly. “What kind, Shippo?”
 
He smirked. “I'd suggest `strip', but you're at a total disadvantage right now without all that crap on…” A rather-less-than imposing growl sounded and he grinned cheekily at the hanyou. “Lighten up, dog-breath. We're all here, all alive…all stuck in this hut with you tonight, so we deserve to have some fun. Whaddya say, Kagome?”
 
“I'm not playing any form of card game with you that would involve removing items of clothing, brat, and I'm out of sweets, so you'll have to make do with points only.”
 
“Works for me. How about you, houshi?”
 
“I believe I owe you a trouncing from our last game, Shippo-kun. I'll gladly take you on.”
 
“All right!” The kit rubbed his hands gleefully, and scampered back to his own meal. Kagome reached over and squeezed Inuyasha's hand, smiling at him in such a loving way that he felt all squishy inside, and not just because it was his human night. Smiling back, he pulled her in for a quick kiss, then tucked her against his side, and he hoped that the gods of trouble would overlook them just once on a night of the new moon.