InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Phoenix Blade: Time Lapse ❯ Marionette ( Chapter 49 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: Don't own…don't sue. Tormenting them purely for my own sadistic pleasure. All characters and most situations owned by Rumiko Takahashi and Shogakukan Publishing.
 
A/N: These Kohaku-Sango episodes actually occurred just after the whole `Inu cuddling Kikyo under the Goshinboku' mess, but as previously noted, I had some twisting to do to set up the coming `present day' chapters. Heavily referencing the manga for this…
 
Sorry to any readers who were disappointed that I left out the `dream sequence' from last week's Tsubaki chapter. This version of Kagome is pretty comfortable with the fact that she ain't Kikyo (if pinning her rival to the Goshinboku didn't prove that, I don't know what does), and it seemed a bit like beating a dead horse, so I left it out.
 
Coarse language alert…
 
The Phoenix Blade: Time Lapse
Chapter 49: Marionette
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
Sengoku Jidai
Later the same evening
 
Kagome, with Sango's help, had shrugged into her boots and Inuyasha's haori then staggered outside to poke a few sacred arrows alongside Miroku's sutras to protect the hut for the evening. Inuyasha had stayed inside, but followed their progress around the inside perimeter of the walls, much to Shippo's amusement.
 
“Shut up, runt. You'll know what it's like when you find a mate.”
 
“Kagome's only a foot or less away, and you're acting like she's left the village or something.”
 
“I can't smell her, remember? Can't hear her easily…here they come.” He dashed back to his place by the fire and glared ferociously at the snickering kit. He smoothed his face into a mask of nonchalance when the door mat was pushed aside and the girls, followed by Miroku, came back in. Kagome removed her boots and left them neatly lined up with Sango and Miroku's sandals, then made her way over to him. Her bottom had barely touched the floor before Inuyasha pulled her into his lap and held her possessively.
 
Shippo's eyes sparkled with mischief, but he bit his lip rather than say anything. Don't piss off the alpha male…don't piss off the alpha male… he chanted to himself while he tidied the area beside the fire and shuffled the cards. He dealt out three hands, then eyed his opponents. Kagome grinned back before settling more comfortably against Inuyasha's chest and held her cards close. The hanyou's dark head lowered until his chin rested on her shoulder and he could mutter in her ear. Miroku smiled at Sango and held out his hand in a wordless invitation; she blushed but tucked herself up under his arm and they fell to studying the cards together.
 
Shippo rolled his eyes and huffed. “Too much lovey-dovey crap around here…c'mon, Kirara…ya gotta help me even the odds. Demons against humans and hanyous; whaddya say?” The neko-youkai mewed and padded daintily over to the kit. Two pairs of eyes, one red and one green, scanned the hand the kit held, and then winked at each other before turning innocently to the others.
 
Kagome reached up to gently tug one of Inuyasha's black sidelocks where it fell over her shoulder, after he finished murmuring his advice about her cards into her ear. “How do you know so much about this game, koibito? You've always refused to play before…”
 
He scoffed lightly. “Keh! Just because I wasn't making a fool out of myself, didn't mean I wasn't paying attention.”
 
She chuckled, and let go of his hair while she sized up their opponents. “Shippo, if you use any kitsune magic at all, you'll be one sorry youkai.”
 
“Gee, Kagome…you saw through my clever strategy…” Shippo rolled his eyes at the suggestion, while Kirara grumbled lightly at this impugning of their demonic honour. Miroku adjusted his arm around Sango, and then fixed the kit with a challenging look.
 
“Let us begin…”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Kagome made it through two rounds and the beginning of the third before her eyes drooped and she nearly dropped the cards. Inuyasha instantly took them away, and turned her in his lap so that he could look into her face, then bundled her off to the futon before she could protest. “Really, Inuyasha, I'm not…” She broke off into a yawn, then grinned sheepishly.
 
“Tired? Uh-huh.” He tucked the blanket around her shoulders and stroked her bangs off her face; she smiled sleepily up at him.
 
“Our usual deal is for me to guard you on the night of the New Moon…”
 
“I'll make an exception this once…”
 
“Sango and I will take turns on watch this night, with assistance from Kirara and Shippo…both of you need some sleep.” Inuyasha looked over to find himself the focus of four pairs of eyes, which he found more than a little disconcerting.
 
“Keh! I'm used to not sleeping…”
 
“So `make an exception this once'!” Shippo smirked, and then stuck out his tongue when the hanyou growled at him.
 
Sango smiled softly from her position against Miroku's side. “Go ahead, Inuyasha. Trust us to protect you.”
 
The hanyou grumbled. “It's just that shit always seems to happen…”
 
“Lie down, Inuyasha, or I'll use Hiraikotsu to knock you down.” Sango sat up, her eyes steely. He held up his hands in mock-surrender, and Kagome shifted over to make some room for him on the narrow bedding. He laid Tetsusaiga within easy reach and curled himself around her; she nestled backwards into his body and sighed contentedly, then was fast asleep in a heartbeat. He laid quietly, eyes closed, half-listening to the good-natured chivvying going on between the card players until he, too, slipped away.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
At the first pre-dawn twitterings of the birds, Inuyasha woke up in a cold sweat. Fuck! When did I fall asleep? We could have been attacked! On reflex, he pulled Kagome closer while his fingers sought Tetsusaiga; he held still, listening intently for the trouble he was sure had found them.
 
Nothing. He listened harder. Still nothing.
 
“Relax your grip on your weapon, Inuyasha. The night was uneventful.” The monk's quiet voice from across the hut made him jump a bit; he raised his head to look past Kagome's sleeping profile at Miroku, who merely arched an eyebrow and smirked from his position near the door, Sango's dark head cushioned in his lap. “There is still a little while before dawn, so go back to sleep. Who knows when we may have this opportunity again?”
 
Inuyasha thought about arguing, but decided against it and just snuggled back up to Kagome, wishing he could smell her properly. His breath on her neck made her sigh softly, and then she rolled over to burrow into his chest. He stroked her hair with his free hand and kissed her forehead, relishing the quiet moment after all the stress.
 
Koibito?” Her voice was low; Kagome tilted her head slightly to look up at him.
 
“What, wench?” He murmured back, running his fingertips along her jawline and across her lips.
 
“I think we should head back towards Kaede's…” She sighed and nuzzled into the crook of his shoulder.
 
“I agree. Soon as you're up to it, we'll saddle up those farting grass-munchers and head out.”
 
“A shower would be nice…” she mumbled into his throat.
 
He grinned wickedly. “Sure would!”
 
Kagome peeked up at him, saw the expression on his face, and snorted. “Don't count on Mom being so easy-going this time on the issue of group showers.”
 
“She doesn't have to know…”
 
“Like you could be quiet about it…” she yawned and dozed back off. The hanyou occupied himself with imagining just how pleasant it would be to have a naked, wet Kagome all to himself in the close quarters of the shower stall, and decided that was something worth looking forward to. He lightly dozed as well, and woke up fully when dawn's first rays crept through the cracks in the walls and highlighted the dust motes lazily drifting in the sluggish air currents inside the hut.
 
Out of curiosity, he caught a lock of his own hair between his fingers and watched the black ripple over to silver, catching in his lengthening claws. Then he noticed the monk watching him with unbridled curiosity and glowered. “Got a problem, houshi?”
 
Miroku shook his head. “Not at all, Inuyasha. It is such a remarkable transformation that I find it amazing to watch, particularly the way that your ears shift position and shape…and all without pain, you say?”
 
Inuyasha shrugged. “It happens so fast that I don't notice anything moving.” He buried his newly more sensitive nose in Kagome's hair and inhaled deeply, allowing her calming scent to wash over him. His ear twitched as the kit stirred over in the corner, where he was curled up with Kirara. “Who won last night?”
 
Miroku grinned very toothily. “My lovely lady and I managed to wipe the floor of the hut with Shippo and Kirara's tails, I am pleased to report. The losers had to stand double watches, so I was able to nap a little as well.”
 
Shippo pulled himself upright at that comment and tried to glare at the monk, but rubbing the sleep out of his eyes rather spoiled the effect. “I still think you cheated, houshi.”
 
Miroku placed his gauntleted hand over his heart and sighed dramatically. “How could you doubt Buddha's disciple?” Sango began to stir at that point, and he instantly dropped his hand to stroke her hair as she awakened.
 
The kit stretched, yawned widely enough to give everyone a view of his small fangs and began poking at the embers left over from the previous night. “Whatever, Miroku. Us demons don't need as much sleep as you lot, so we didn't mind letting you win.”
 
The hut was soon humming with the sounds of rising; the crackle of the fire being stirred to life, the yawns and stretches of sleepy bodies, the clatter of mess kits being broken out, the hiss of water boiling, and then another bucket of rice porridge was delivered. Miroku accompanied the young boy who brought the offering back to his parent's hut and bestowed a blessing. He returned with a preoccupied air and accepted his bowl of food without comment.
 
Kagome, sat up, feeling and looking rather fuzzy, Inuyasha's rumpled fire-rat falling off her shoulders and ran her fingers through her hair. She smiled at the other occupants of the hut, and especially at her hanyou who leaned over to kiss her cheek. Shippo handed them both breakfast and quiet contentment briefly reigned.
 
“Miroku? What are you thinking about?” Sango's query drew all their attention to the silent monk, who blinked rapidly before smiling serenely.
 
“Just a bit of news the villagers were passing around, courtesy of a traveller who came through late last night. Apparently, the castle of the Hitomi clan simply vanished into thin air two evenings ago.”
 
Shippo made a face. “How can a whole castle vanish?”
 
Miroku rubbed his chin. “There's more…witnesses say that a giant swarm of brightly coloured winged insects flew away from the site, leaving nothing but the foundation stones behind.”
 
“Insects?” Inuyasha repeated quietly.
 
“Hell wasps…of that I have no doubt.” Miroku confirmed, and they all fell silent.
 
Sango chewed her lip. “Disappeared two nights ago…the same night we fought Tsubaki…seems a little too coincidental…”
 
Kagome spooned up the last of her porridge and put down the bowl. “Back to work, I guess. Damn, I'd like a bath…”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
A couple of hours after their early breakfast, after formal thanks and farewells, not to mention a discreet donation of coinage, they were on their way. Sango was very quiet once they had enquired as to the direction of the mysterious castle. Kagome manoeuvred Arashi closer to Kirara and touched the slayer's arm.
 
“Sango? What's up?”
 
Dark eyes held hers. “I'm not saying anything yet; I'll know when we get there. Please don't ask me any more, Kagome.” Sango nudged the fire-cat with her heels, and they soared up over the trees.
 
Miroku caught up to her, Juhi giving his herd-mate a playful nip on the flank, to which Arashi responded with bared teeth and a snort. “Sango is very disturbed, Kagome-sama. Did she…”
 
“Told me to mind my own business. How far do we have to go?”
 
“Fucking forever at the rate those fucking nags are going!” Inuyasha dropped out of a tree sporting a ferocious pout, Shippo smirking over the hanyou's head.
 
Kagome rolled her eyes, and put her heels to Arashi. The mare bunched her hindquarters and launched herself into a spirited gallop before settling down to a ground-eating canter, Juhi and a white-knuckled Miroku close behind. A red and silver blur flashed past and she caught a brief glimpse of Shippo sticking out his tongue and waggling his fingers in his ears from the safety of the hanyou's shoulder.
 
They made good time, stopping only briefly for a lunch of self-heating rations, and very late that afternoon they happened across a village whose residents knew all about the castle, and supplied the welcome knowledge that they were only a few hours away from reaching their goal. They were also offered the use of a hut for the night, and fodder for the horses. Inuyasha looked likely to refuse, but Kagome reminded him that the animals had a long run that day and needed to rest if they were expected to do it all again the next as well.
 
After a dinner of rice and pickled vegetables, augmented by a bit of dried fish from the ration packs, Sango and Kagome shooed the males out of the hut and used a couple kettles-worth of hot water to give themselves and their inner garments a scrub. Sango resolutely avoided Kagome's eyes, so the girl held her peace and didn't pry into the slayer's thoughts.
 
There was enough water to rinse out their hair, so they stepped outside to finish the job, earning low whistles from the monk and the kitsune, who had resumed their `friendly' card game.
 
Kagome finished towelling off her hair and glanced around. “Where's Inuyasha?”
 
“Up here, wench.”
 
She turned to see him hanging over the edge of the roof, picking his fangs with a sharp claw. “Are you planning on sleeping under the stars tonight?”
 
“Keh. My turn to do sentry duty.”
 
“Okay.” Kagome smiled sweetly and blew him a kiss. “Night, dog-boy.” She hadn't taken a single step towards the door before she was enveloped in a fierce hug. “That's more like it,” she muttered for his ears alone and kissed him just as intensely. The hanyou pressed a series of tiny kisses across her brow before releasing her and leaping back up onto the roof.
 
“Night, wench.” He smirked down at her, and then she was distracted by Kirara using her shoulder as a launch pad. The neko-youkai meowed loudly and headed up to the ridgepole, where she sat down and began to wash herself. Inuyasha gave her a hairy eyeball. “S'matter, cat…don't trust me to do my job?” Kirara cocked her own red eye back at him and continued what she was doing.
 
Kagome chuckled and followed Sango into the hut. The slayer remained quiet all day, lost in thought, so Kagome gave her some space and occupied herself with tidying the mess tins away, clearing space for them to sleep. She was wearing her fleeces until her liners dried, and while sleeping in them wasn't ideal, she certainly wasn't going to be nude if Miroku was in the near vicinity and Inuyasha wasn't.
 
Sango's eyes were distant, and even Miroku's arrival didn't bring her any closer. The slayer unrolled her bedding and curled into it, staring at the embers of the fire-pit. Kagome blinked when Miroku propped his staff across the doorway and lay down behind Sango, wrapping his arm around her and pulling her close against him. Sango closed her eyes and snuggled backwards into his embrace; Miroku pressed a lingering kiss on the top of her head and whispered something to her. The ghost of a smile crossed the slayer's lips, and then she rolled over to bury herself in the monk's chest, nearly disappearing under his voluminous robes.
 
Shippo ducked under the door mat, nearly tripped over the staff, gawked briefly at the black and purple tumble of fabric taking up one side of the fire, and then scampered around the pit to help Kagome arrange her bedroll, grinning at her expectantly. She ruffled his bangs. “Guess we're bunking in together, Ship-dip. Hope you don't snore, `cause I'm beat.”
 
“Ha! Should've heard yourself last night! Shook the rafters…ooof!” Kagome thwacked the kit in the gut with her rolled-up leather tunic, sending him skidding across the floorboards, then jumped into her bedding and zipped it up right to her chin, smirking. “Guess you're at the foot of the bed, brat.”
 
Grumbling, the kit circled a few times before settling down near her feet; she took pity on him after a few minutes and reached down to pull him into her arms for a hug. He snuggled under her chin, his bangs tickling her nose, and sighed blissfully. “Thanks, Kagome. This is a nice change from Kirara, tho' she's pretty comfy, too.” He was breathing evenly within moments.
 
Kagome eyed the couple across from her, noting how that even though she was securely encircled within Miroku's arms, Sango radiated tension…and she wished that she could do something about it. Hopefully we'll find out tomorrow…she thought, before closing her own eyes.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
Present Day
 
Mrs. Higurashi chatted peacefully through the car window to Shimano and Akagane, as they waited patiently for Sota to tie his shoes. It was a beautiful soft morning, with promise of heat later in the day, and a few fluffy clouds painted the dawn sky. Finally, Sota stepped out of the house, pecked his mother on the cheek and scrambled into the car; Shimano gaily tooted the horn as she cheerfully waved goodbye.
 
She was about to step back into the house when she noticed the hint of white glowing in the pale light, arching up over the storage shed beyond the shrine. She left her teacup beside the door, and strolled across the courtyard, paused to admire the dark glossy leaves of the camellia buttressing the well-house wall, and then continued until she stood in front of the magnificent one-hundred-year-old white wisteria, whose flower clusters were just beginning to open. The long tendrils, which would form a curtain-like display of ivory blossoms in a few days, trailed down from above until their very tips trailed along the paving stones.
 
It will be a wonderful show of bloom this spring she thought, running her fingers lightly along the slender branches as they swayed and dipped in the light breeze. I hope Kagome is here to see it
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
Sengoku Jidai
 
They were on the road again at dawn, the horses' breath steaming in the cool air, but the day promised to be mild. Following the directions the villagers gave them, they sighted the massive stone platform squaring off the top of a steep-sided naturally defensive hill by mid-morning. They were at the base of the crag by noon; the hairpin turns of the approach took time to negotiate. Inuyasha lost patience and took off ahead, springing up the slope with Shippo clinging determinedly to his shoulder.
 
Kirara leapt after him, her straight-backed rider's lips compressed into a thin line. Sango had dressed in her bodysuit and armour that morning, and Hiraikotsu was ready to hand, as if she expected an attack. By the time Kagome, Miroku and the horses had wended their way to the top of the incline Inuyasha was waiting for them, leaning against the stone base of the massive gate.
 
Miroku paused in the act of dismounting from Juhi, his brow furrowed in concern as he glanced quickly around. “There is a definite trace of Naraku's aura here…”
 
“It was Naraku's castle, all right. You'd better go to her, houshi.” Inuyasha's voice was gruff; he jerked his head, indicating that Miroku should proceed into the castle proper. Kagome slid off the grey mare, crossed to the hanyou and peered into the silent fortifications.
 
“Did Sango…”
 
“She found her father's armour.”
 
Kagome's hand flew to her mouth as she stared in shock at Inuyasha. “Oh, no…then this is where…”
 
“Kohaku murdered her father along with the other demon slayers, and tried to kill her as well while under Naraku's control…what the fuck is that monk doing? The bastard's undressing…” The hanyou tensed, ready to charge across the space and knock some sense into Miroku, but then realized that there was something more profound going on.
 
Kagome looked to see what Inuyasha was concerned about, caught on at the same time to the monk's intentions, and then tugged Inuyasha into the scarred grounds of the vanished building. No trace remained of the wood and plaster buildings or of the gardens that must have graced this remote peak; the earth had been both scorched and stripped of all vegetation.
 
Shippo and Kirara appeared at the top of the foundations and made their way down to them. The neko-youkai hopped onto Kagome's shoulder and Shippo into her arms as they watched Miroku unearth the bones, armour and weapons of the ill-fated demon slayers and lay them carefully on his spread-flat purple outer robe. Sango knelt beside him, clutching a dirty piece of forged bone in her arms, her head bowed.
 
Inuyasha turned and punched the unyielding stones, swearing luridly under his breath. Kagome reached out a soothing hand while not taking her eyes from their friends. “What do you suppose happened to all the inhabitants of the castle? There must have been servants, guards…”
 
“The fucker probably slaughtered them all. He wouldn't give a shit.”
 
“But…where are the bodies?”
 
“Melted? Vaporized? Fuck if I know.”
 
“What about Kohaku?”
 
He glanced over at Sango and lowered his voice. “Probably dead…and it would be a blessing.”
 
At that moment, an unpleasantly familiar sensation pinged faintly off her consciousness, and she swung around, racing for the gate, the startled hanyou right on her heels. At the top of the cliff, she strained for another contact, searching for that one, small contaminated shard that just might mean that Kohaku survived.
 
“What is it, Kagome?” Shippo held onto the collar of her tunic and peered around at her with wide green eyes.
 
“A tainted shard…but it's so faint…” She frowned in concentration and rotated slowly, until she was facing back into the destroyed fortress. “That way…I think.”
 
“We'll let Miroku help Sango bury her dead, and then we'll look into it. Right now, she needs to grieve.” He crouched, sprang and landed lightly on the top of the foundations, then proceeded to walk around to the far side. Kagome was surprised at Inuyasha's patience and consideration, and more than a little proud of him. Kirara mewed, then jumped down from her arms and transformed, offering her back to Kagome. The girl slid on, and the fire-cat silently flew them up and around the walls until they were level with Inuyasha and looking in the same direction.
 
Kagome closed her eyes again and searched for that trace of darkness, but while it was just there, on the edge of her abilities, she couldn't bring it any closer and refine their search area. She shook her head in frustration, and Shippo patted her cheek. “It's okay, Kagome. We know that it's this direction, so once they're ready…”
 
She nodded, then leaned over to tug at the string knotted at the ends of Inuyasha's trailing sleeve. “How about you go look for a spot where we can re-bury Sango's father and colleagues?”
 
Instead, he dropped onto Kirara's back, eliciting an irritated growl from the cat. “Let's go together and leave them be for a bit.” Kirara grumped again, but soared out over the valley. It only took a few minutes, and then Shippo pointed out a patch of green on the crest of a hill far enough away from the castle that the site of their death would not overshadow their burial place. Kagome took a few bearings, and they headed back.
 
They were waiting outside the empty gate; Miroku held a large, neatly-wrapped bundle in his arms while Sango still clutched the piece of armour against her chest, and Kagome saw the sadness in the slayer's soul as a palpable presence, wrapping its chill arms around her friend. She jumped down from Kirara's back, walked up to Sango and bowed respectfully. “We found a place where they can be buried with honour…would you like us to take you there?”
 
Her eyes were met with a quick glance, and a brief nod of the head, and then Kirara rumbled as she walked up to the couple and rubbed her head against Sango's hip. Miroku slid onto the fire-cat's back, carefully balancing his precious cargo, followed by Sango, and they took off into the sky.
 
Kagome took Juhi's reins and climbed aboard Arashi. Shippo skipped off her shoulder, across the mare's rump and over Juhi's ears to take a seat on the gelding's saddle. Inuyasha jumped up to balance on Juhi's haunches, and they set off at a much more sedate pace, as the road was steep.
 
“Inuyasha? Maybe you should go on ahead, and help Miroku dig the grave. The soil on that hilltop looked pretty rocky…”
 
What? And leave you unprotected? Oi…did Tsubaki take a few of your brain cells with her while she was controlling your mind?” The hanyou snorted derisively, and he was abruptly right behind her, his arms around her waist, his chin resting on her shoulder. “If you think after what's happened recently that I'm gonna let you out of my sight…”
 
“It isn't like I'm completely helpless without you…and I really think that Miroku will need some assistance.” She looked at him out of the corner of her eye; he leaned in and kissed her cheek.
 
“Let's get off this fucking mountain first, wench, and I'll think about it.”
 
In the end, Inuyasha did leave them to assist in the burial, but he stayed on the hilltop only long enough to claw out a suitable hole, then left Miroku and Sango to observe the burial rites together in private. He located a small stream and washed his claws, shook himself all over, then indulged in a little full-throttle tree-top racing as he hunted down his mate and the kit.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
“Sango, I am sorry that this is not hallowed ground…”
 
The slayer rested her fingers lightly against the back of the monk's gauntlet, brushing against the prayer beads. “It is all right, Miroku. Better here, in the open air, than in that tainted place.”
 
The monk regarded her closely, violet eyes searching her expression, before turning back to neatly arranging the pitiful remains of what were once Sango's father and her colleagues in the makeshift grave. Inuyasha had dug it deep for security, even though the lack of flesh on the bones meant it would more than likely escape the notice of scavengers.
 
Miroku finished his task by lining up the weapons and the face masks in a neat row before the empty-socketed, grinning skulls. Beside him, Sango took a deep breath, leaned down, and tenderly laid the piece of body armour in the pit. She gazed down at it for a brief while, then took a handful of dirt and let it run through her fingers, sifting down and speckling the ash-white bones.
 
The monk bowed his head, brought his hands together and began intoning the prayers for the departed; beside him, the slayer mimicked his posture, the wind stirring her long, dark top-knot and ruffling her bangs. Her eyes burnt hollow and her jaw clenched as she added her thoughts to Miroku's holy words.
 
Father…I vow that vengeance will be mine, and one way or the other, Kohaku will be freed
 
As if she heard the slayer's thoughts, the watching neko-youkai shifted and regarded her mistress with concern.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Despite the fact that her thoughts kept straying to the solemn ceremony that she knew was being enacted on that lonely hill-top, Kagome and Shippo had put their time to good use. Kagome practised her barriers, and Shippo tried out a few new transformations. He was still having trouble with the tail, which inevitably turned out bushy and red, but managed a life-like Koga that gave Kagome the giggles, especially when he clasped her hands and mimicked the wolf-youkai's usual lines. Inuyasha arrived at that precise moment and actually had Tetsusaiga half-way out of its sheath before he realized that there wasn't any tell-tale stink of unwashed furs.
 
Shippo laughed so hard at the look on the hanyou's face that he started hiccupping, and even threats of thumping it out of him didn't work. Finally, Kagome tossed him over Juhi's saddle and they headed out. Kirara and her passengers rejoined them within the hour; all of them, even the neko-youkai, were solemn. Sango's visage was grim, and she avoided making eye contact.
Kirara was plainly worried; she looked pointedly at Kagome and jerked her head back over her shoulder at her passengers. The girl gulped.
 
Kagome glanced at Inuyasha; he nodded. She gulped and began fiddling with the hem of her tunic. “Sango, while we were at the castle…I sensed a Shikon shard. It was very faint, almost at the limits of my range…but it was only one, and quite small.”
 
Dark eyes pinned her. “Are you sure?”
 
She wilted a bit under Sango's intense gaze. “Yes.”
 
“Well, then…what are we waiting for?” Miroku asked. “Do you need another fix on the direction, Kagome-sama?” She nodded, and closed her eyes to concentrate on that elusive, mocking tickle at the back of her mind. Holding herself very still, she threw open her senses and finally was rewarded with a flicker of energy.
 
“That way.” She said simply, pointing before she opened her eyes, and they moved in the direction she indicated.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
“Is the sensation any stronger, Kagome?” Shippo asked from his perch between Arashi's ears. The mare was doing her best to dislodge him, her furry appendages twirling constantly as she tossed her head every few seconds, but the kit stuck as tightly as a burr.
 
“Quite a bit…it's close…but wait! It's moving!” Kagome kicked the mare into a gallop, and the rest of the group followed close at Arashi's heels. Shippo let go of the bridle and made his way hand over hand down the mare's mane, tucking himself into the front of the saddle. Kirara whooshed past with Miroku and Sango, and held position slightly ahead of the racing horses, neck and neck with Inuyasha. They kept up the pursuit with single-minded intensity, until a familiar, hated buzzing filled the air.
 
“Hell wasps, dammit!” Miroku snarled. Sango's hand moved from its grip on his waist to clasp the prayer beads binding the Vortex, and he returned the gesture without taking his eyes from the source of the sound.
 
“Means we're getting close…” Inuyasha muttered grimly, and flicked Tetsusaiga's bladeguard with his claw. The ground shook under the horses hooves; Juhi shied slightly, and then Kirara roared, clawing for altitude, outpacing the hell wasps in her flight. Kagome noted that Sango was readying the Hiraikotsu as they disappeared over the trees; she pulled out her bow and charged an arrow as Arashi pounded through the brush, trying to keep the fire-cat within sight.
 
Hiraikotsu!
 
As Kagome, Shippo and the horses thundered into the clearing, they were just in time to witness the messy, spattering demise of a rather hideous insect-youkai towering over a slender youth, from whose shoulder came a twisted, dark glow.
 
Kohaku!
 
The youth shoved himself backwards from the smoking pile of flesh and shell and twisted upright, gripping his bone sickle tightly, coiling the chain in readiness for deployment. He glanced quickly around at the assorted group of figures, his eyes showing no recognition. The Hiraikotsu whizzed behind his back on its return trajectory, and he followed its whistling passage to the armoured figure that easily restrained the strange weapon and returned it to the `ready' position.
 
The rest of the group held still, watchful and wary, as Sango strode forward, and the boy edged backwards, two trained fighters sizing each other up. Kagome saw the pain and longing clearly etched on the slayer's face, how her hand trembled as she held it out, palm up, and tremulously spoke her brother's name. “Kohaku…?”
 
The youth went rigid, and then his stance relaxed slightly. His voice was cautious but held a note of hope. “Do you…know me, sama?”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
“That's a nasty scrape…let me see it.” Sango was quiet but firm, ignoring the blushes and squirming of the teenager as she gripped his bare arm and inspected the abrasion. Kagome readied antiseptic and gauze, keeping her eyes averted so she couldn't see the darkness in Sango's eyes.
 
The youth, his cheeks pink, finally spoke. “You know my name, sama, but where have we met?”
 
The slayer's smile was very sad. “You remember nothing of your life before?”
 
“No, sama. I remember being at the castle, and someone telling me to join my father.”
 
“That was Naraku who cast you out.” Sango's voice was flat, devoid of emotion. Kagome cringed from the emptiness, and quickly stood up.
 
“I'll wait outside…” She made helpless little gestures with her hands, and fled.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Outside the abandoned shrine they had come across, Miroku and Inuyasha broke off their argument at Kagome's approach. She noted that both of them had their hands shoved into their sleeves, and both were sporting truculent pouts. “It was a little intense in there, so I bailed…” she shrugged by way of explanation, sat down next to Inuyasha, and began picking at the grass between her boots.
 
“What is your opinion on Kohaku-kun, Kagome-sama?” Miroku asked.
 
“I don't know, houshi-doushi. It would be so cruel for Naraku to do this to her, but then that's what we expect, isn't it?”
 
“Yes…emotional abuse is his preferred method of torment. However, Kohaku-kun does seem different from the last time we encountered him; less like a soulless puppet and more human…”
 
“I still say we smack him around a bit…” Inuyasha grumbled. Kagome biffed him in the ear, earning her a ferocious glare.
 
“That won't help; Naraku's hold is too strong, and the shard in his shoulder is tainted, no doubt about that. I think we need to be careful. Sango is so vulnerable where Kohaku is concerned…”
 
“I am very sure that this is some sort of trap…but cannot for the love of Buddha figure out Naraku's angle.”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
“I-I was a demon slayer? Truly?”
 
Sango smiled sadly at Kohaku, and tenderly stroked her fingers through his bangs. “You were a novice; your first mission was your last.”
 
“What happened?” His brown eyes were wide.
 
“Things went very wrong. We walked into a trap, and only you and I survived.” Kirara mewed and jumped into Kohaku's lap, bracing her little paws on his chest and peering intently into his eyes. Kohaku rubbed between her ears with his thumb, but the neko-youkai didn't purr. Instead, she leapt onto Sango's shoulder guard and wrapped her tails around the slayer's neck, watching the youth through narrowed red eyes.
 
Sango put her arm around Kohaku's shoulders and carefully embraced him, feeling the tug in her heart overwhelm her until she was hugging the startled youth tightly. “Uh…sama?” he squeaked.
 
Tears rimmed Sango's dark lashes as she squeezed him again. “I am your sister, Kohaku. You are my only brother, and I won't let Naraku have you again.” Her tone was as fierce as her grip. Because I want to believe that you are now free… Their attention was attracted by a flurry of swearing from outside the shrine.
 
“Oi! Slayer! Get your ass out here…we've got company…”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж