InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Phoenix Blade: Time Lapse ❯ Fifth Column ( Chapter 50 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: Don't own…don't sue. Tormenting them purely for my own sadistic pleasure. All characters and most situations owned by Rumiko Takahashi and Shogakukan Publishing.
 
A/N: Sango is not suicidal in this fic, so I guess that qualifies her as OOC; she is prepared to `free' her brother the hard way, but if she kills herself, who is left of her family to hunt down Naraku? Not only that, but a certain monk has plans on helping her reach `nirvana' in a slightly different way…
 
Referencing the manga, and a coarse language alert…
 
Bouquets to Nokomarie the Snake for her expertise in the `first aid' scene. (edited for accuracy and re-posted May 8, 2006)
 
The Phoenix Blade: Time Lapse
Chapter 50: Fifth Column
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
Sengoku Jidai
 
“Oi! Slayer! Get your ass out here…we've got company…”
 
Sango leapt for the sliding doors and peered through the gap. Kohaku came up close behind her; she could feel his breath on her neck. She watched Kagome flame an arrow, and then the impact of a gigantic demonic aura washed over her. Cautiously poking her head out, she glimpsed the swarm, and noted the brightly-coloured dots flickering and buzzing around the edges of the writhing, screeching mass. She heard Miroku swear, and slam his gauntleted fist into his other palm. Kagome released her missile, shouted, and then Inuyasha took her off her feet…something tore into the earth where the girl had been standing not a moment before. A strikingly beautiful creature with malice glinting in her ruby eyes stood tall, and smirked coolly. From behind the building, she heard Shippo's voice and the thud of hooves as he took the horses out of danger.
 
Kohaku's hand descended onto Sango's shoulder, and his fingers clenched. “I-I know that woman…”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
“What the fuck do you want, Kagura?” Inuyasha demanded harshly. He kept his arm around Kagome's waist, flexing the claws of his other hand.
 
“As charming as ever, Inuyasha. However, I'm not here to exchange pleasantries with you. Hand over Kohaku.” She had to bite her lip to keep from laughing at their startled expressions. They really are rather dense
 
“Why do you seek Kohaku-kun?” Miroku asked quietly, placing himself between the shrine and the swaying, slavering demons.
 
Kagura delicately yawned. “He disappeared from the castle the other night. Naraku wants his shard back, but he's feeling generous. He's willing to let you keep the body.”
 
“You're a fucking bitch, Kagura…”
 
“I'm not a dog, silly boy, nor do I `fuck'…Naraku wouldn't let me have that kind of fun; although, I might consider it, if it was your lovely brother offering…”
 
Her laughter nearly drowned out the sound of the hanyou's violent gagging.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
The clank of a chain spun Sango around. Kohaku's face was tense, as he readied his sickle for action. “Kohaku? What are you…?”
 
“I'm the target. I'll distract them and buy time for you to escape…”
 
“NO!” Sango took him by the shoulders, absently noting that he was now nearly as tall as she, and shook him with more force than she intended. “I will not lose you to Naraku again!” She pushed him back and gripped Hiraikotsu before turning back to the door. Over my dead body… “Kirara! Let's go!”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Kagura hid a smile behind her sleeve. Oh, this is too easy…as much as I loathe Naraku, he certainly knows how to entertain
 
“What are you waiting for, Kagura…couldn't face us all by your pathetic lonesome, so you had to bring along these uglies?” Inuyasha gestured at the motley swarm hovering behind the wind witch. She smiled sweetly and made a graceful motion with her hand.
 
“Feh…they're just fodder to make sure that you do not interfere…but I'll kill you while I'm at it, Inuyasha, for the fun of it.” Her fan snapped open, and she slashed. “Dance of Blades!” Inuyasha gripped Kagome and took both of them out of the way of the strike, then noticed that most of the swarm was going for the shrine.
 
The doors burst wide open, and a flashing blur whirled out, scything through flesh and bone, was caught on its return flight by a black-clad goddess of death astride a snarling, fiery cat. Miroku was briefly transfixed by the sight of his beloved, magnificent in her fury before getting back to business against the gibbering creatures. Kagura laughed and loosed another strike; Kagome deflected it with a crackling shield, and gripped Inuyasha's hand where it was wrapped around her waist. “Take me over to the shrine; I'll protect it with a barrier…”
 
“Forget that, wench…you grab Kohaku and go to ground in the woods behind the shrine. We'll cover you. Do your defensive thing, and we'll come get you once we've taken care of these losers.” They were already airborne as he spoke, and he nodded at Miroku as they dove past the monk, who stepped up his efforts with sutras and staff to keep the area in front of the shrine clear. Landing briefly on the porch, Inuyasha swung Kagome through the doors. Kohaku was crouched just inside, his sickle in the `ready' position, looking every inch a trained fighter. He glanced up, and his eyes were dark and fiery, reminiscent of his sister.
 
“Kohaku, you and Kagome have to clear out of here. You ready to move?” The teen nodded. Inuyasha cupped Kagome's cheek, brushed a swift kiss across her lips before fixing Kohaku with an intent look. Can I trust him? No fucking choice, dammit! “You look like you know what to do with that weapon, so you keep an eye on Kagome…or Naraku will be the least of your worries.”
 
“I understand. I will protect her as if she were my own.”
 
The simple, quietly-spoken statement gave the hanyou pause, but as he squeezed Kagome's shoulder he leaned in close, as if kissing her cheek. “Watch yourself,” he breathed in her ear; she nodded, and this time he did kiss her before diving out the door and back into the fray, Tetsusaiga blossoming in his hand.
 
Kagome grinned at Kohaku and pointed at the rear wall, where a small sliding panel stood slightly ajar. “Lucky you're not very broad-shouldered, or you'd be stuck…let's go!” He nodded, and she squeezed out first, flattening herself against the wall, her sword in her hand, watching for stray demons while Kohaku eased through the opening. Scanning their surroundings, she waved him ahead of her, and they raced for the shelter of the trees.
 
Almost, but not quite. A high-pitched scream from behind, and then Kohaku whirled, pushed her down, threw his weapon in a deadly arc up into the sun…and they were spattered with miasmic ichor. The counter-weighted chain rattled into a neat coil, then he reached down, grabbed her by the wrist, yanked her upright and held on as they bolted for cover. Kagome could both hear and sense another incoming wave, then heard the Hiraikotsu's unmistakeable whistle as it impacted the demons diving onto them. They were pelted with chunks of flesh and drenched in blood; Kohaku had a single eyeball slithering down the side of his head. Kagome winced and reached out to flick it off; he grinned briefly at her before tugging her after him. She risked a quick glance over her shoulder; she saw Kagura's triumphant smile with startling clarity just as the witch unleashed another attack, and the shrine building collapsed.
 
Sango, circling overhead with Kirara, took a firm grip on Hiraikotsu and a last look as the two dark heads disappeared into cover, followed by about half-a-dozen hell wasps. Kohaku…please don't betray us… She flung the boomerang into the screaming mass bearing down on her, and Kirara roared as she tore through the squirming, writhing remnants in the weapon's path.
 
Miroku, from his vantage point to the left of the destroyed building and taking a quick breather as he readied more sutras, began swearing violently as he became abruptly, sickeningly aware that they had been hoodwinked. “Inuyasha! It's just like Tsubaki!”
 
The hanyou spun away from the follow-through of a blow that took out a mass of demons and just missed a laughing Kagura. “What the hell, houshi?” he grunted, trying to figure out how to pin the wind witch in place so that he could unleash the `Wind Scar'.
 
“The demons are not pursuing Kagome-sama and Kohaku-kun…they are remaining here to fully occupy our attention.”
 
Tetsusaiga flashed, but missed Kagura, who retaliated with a lazy sweep of her arm and another spinning attack. Inuyasha turned his katana broadside, and deflected the wind blades harmlessly into the ground, while his brain rapidly turned over. “Dammit…Kohaku is still doing Naraku's dirty work?” Above him, Sango gasped, her heart clenching; Kirara growled loudly.
 
“So it would appear.” Miroku slashed his staff through a particularly disgusting slime-coated demon, and fried another gibbering clump with a sutra.
 
The wind witch chuckled quietly. “Took you this long to figure it out? Pathetic.”
 
Scarlet bled into Inuyasha's eyes, and stripes blazed on his cheeks. Kagura arched her eyebrows at the demonic aura gathering around him, and noted the vapours coiling down the length of his blade. “What does Naraku want with Kagome, bitch?” The hanyou's voice was low and very dangerous.
 
Kagura shrugged, readying her fan. “Don't know…don't care. All I know is that I get to play with you.” She gestured with her fan, and the remains of the swarm, which still numbered in the dozens, combined into a single mass, and charged the two on the ground. Miroku snarled, ripped off the prayer beads, and the Vortex roared into existence.
 
Sango shouted his name, as several bright buzzing creatures deliberately flew into the stream of demonic matter and vanished into the void. Kirara suddenly growled, and turned in flight, plunging towards the edge of the forest. “Where…what are you doing, Kirara?” Sango shifted on the neko-youkai's back, looking anxiously over her shoulder at the lone figure of Miroku, the winds of the Vortex tearing at his robes as he braced himself against its inexorable pull. The fire-cat flicked her ears, and followed her nose to where a wide-eyed Shippo lay hidden with the horses and their precious medical supplies. As soon as the animals came into view, the slayer caught on immediately and hugged the cat around the neck. “Good thinking…we can get the medicine to protect Miroku from the venom…”
 
“Go, Inuyasha…find Kagome-sama!” The monk's face was contorted with the effort of holding the Vortex steady while fighting off the debilitating effects of the hell wasps' venom. The hanyou, who was currently guarding Miroku's back against Kagura's unrelenting attacks, only snorted.
 
“Can't leave you alone with this bitch…”
 
“Go! I'll dispose of Kagura…hurry, Inuyasha. Kohaku-kun would be a formidable opponent for Kagome-sama to battle by herself…here come Sango and Kirara…please go, for all of our sakes.” Still the hanyou hesitated, before snarling and taking a run at Kagura. The witch whisked out of his way, laughing, whirled and sent a flight of blades at his back as he flashed by, but the Tetsusaiga twisted and they shot harmlessly up into the sky. She spun, her fan open, ready to slice the monk into pieces, but stopped at his feral snarl. “I would be more than pleased to send you into the void as well, Kagura. I advise you to remove yourself.”
 
She blinked, wondering at the monk's reasons for sparing her, but snapped her fan closed, slid it into her sleeve, and tossed down a feather to make her escape. Miroku waited until she had become a mere dot in the sky before re-twisting the prayer beads and collapsing to the ground. His vision was blurring badly, cold sweat poured off him even as his body felt like it was being consumed by fire. Strong arms embraced him, and Sango's concerned voice was the sweetest thing he had ever heard.
 
“Miroku…quickly…take these and drink this…” Tablets were placed on his tongue, and cool, sweet water filled his mouth and he gratefully swallowed, his head tilting back to rest against the slayer's shoulder.
 
“Thank you, koi,” he murmured, enjoying her gentle hand stroking his cheek, her lips pressed against his forehead. “However, as pleasant as this is, we must assist Inuyasha. I fear for Kagome-sama, and your brother.” He squinted up at her, and caught the darkness in her eyes. Sango smiled tightly, and moved to duck her head under his arm, then tugged him upright and steadied him as he slid onto Kirara's back. She handed him his staff, swung Hiraikotsu into place and then added herself to the fire-cat's burden, holding Miroku tightly around the waist. Kirara growled lightly and launched into the sky, trying not to jar the monk; she could feel the weakness of his grip as he wormed his fingers into her ruff.
 
Sango was coiled like a spring, thoughts and emotions spinning through her at hurricane speed. If you have knowingly harmed Kagome, Kohaku…I will send you through the hell-gates myself…
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
“Just stay out of sight of the hell wasps, Kohaku. They'll alert the rest of the demons if they see us…” Kagome smiled at the youth; he smiled back, a little tentatively, and hunkered down beside her under the leafy bush.
 
They listened to the insects' buzzing as they circled the wooded area, obviously flying patterns as they searched for the two humans. Finally, the irritating sound faded slightly as the creatures moved away from their immediate area. Kohaku's expression became thoughtful. “I wonder if Sango-sama is all right…”
 
Kagome bit her lip at his application of the very formal title. “I'm sure your sister will be fine. She's a very skilled fighter. You…don't remember her at all?”
 
He sadly shook his dark head. “Not a bit, and it's very frustrating, because she's so familiar…”
 
“She's missed you terribly, and having you back is like a dream come true for her.”
 
Kohaku's expression became wistful. “Can you tell me more about her? I want to remember, but it feels like there is a locked gate inside my mind…can you help me to open it?”
 
Kagome smiled widely, and settled herself more comfortably in their hideout. “Let's see…”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Fuck!” A small tree suffered considerable damage to its bark from the claws of the angry hanyou. He forced himself to calm down, and pivoted slowly, sniffing intently. Why does her scent just disappear?
 
“You were too preoccupied to notice the barrier, Inuyasha. You were no challenge at all.”
 
The surrounding forest faded to grey as the familiar, hated voice spun him around, ready to unleash the Tetsusaiga. “Naraku…” he ground out between clenched teeth. “I don't have time to piss around with a shitty golem…”
 
“Will you kill Kohaku?” The baboon pelt hovered just above the ground.
 
There was something about the way Naraku said it that made Inuyasha cautious, even as he was brutal in his tone. “If he's hurt Kagome…yeah, the brat's gonna die.”
 
“The slayer will never forgive you, hanyou.”
 
“She knows that Kohaku wouldn't kill someone if he had a choice.”
 
“He chose to put himself under my control, Inuyasha.”
 
Inuyasha was staggered. “Why the hell would any sane person do that?”
 
“Imagine the torment of a soul who is conscious of the knowledge that he slew his own father and compatriots…as well as his beloved sister. Kohaku readily gave me the power to erase his pain,” the white-robed figure fairly purred.
 
The hanyou's eyes darkened. “You hell-spawned fucker….you're the one who made him kill his father…!”
 
The pelt shrugged. “Minor detail. He is the perfect weapon, as his obedience is complete and unquestioning…unlike at least one other of my offspring that I can name….”
 
Inuyasha laughed mirthlessly. “You'll need more than a teenage brat to take Kagome down.”
 
“Kohaku will kill Kagome and bring me her Shikon shards, Inuyasha. The little miko is powerful, but even she has no defence against a blade through her heart.” Inuyasha was about to snarl back, when a familiar, coppery tang reached his nose, and he froze, his eyes wide. Naraku chuckled. “I see that Kohaku has achieved his goal, despite your belief in your mate's abilities.” The golem fell back a step when Inuyasha's reddened eyes blazed, and the dark-blue cheek stripes rippled wider on his cheeks.
 
“Get out of my way, fucker.” The golem exploded into fragments, the barrier fizzled, and Inuyasha crushed the masked head under his foot as he tore off into the now clearly-revealed forest. Kagome…hang on
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
“I think they've gone, Kohaku…let's start heading back to the others.” Kagome peered cautiously from under the bush and then scrambled out, listening hard for the hell wasps' distinctive buzzing. She glanced down at the youth, and picked a couple of leaves out of his hair. He blushed. She grinned. “Come on…we don't want to worry Sango…”
 
They had barely taken a dozen paces out of their hiding place, when the wasps made their presence known. “Damn! They've seen us…we have to fight.” Kagome raised her sword and stepped back a pace. “Stay with me, Kohaku, and they won't get a clear shot at the shard…that's all they're after…” She expected to come up against the teen's back, and took another tiny step before realizing he wasn't behind her…and that the shard in his shoulder was pulsating. “Kohaku…?” Turning, she barely registered the flash before something tore into her left arm; instinct and training took her backwards in a rapid retreat. She was instantly aware of warm liquid soaking into the fleece liner of her tunic. Stunned, she took her eyes from her opponent and lifted the limb to take a look, oddly numb with shock.
 
In nearly a year of fighting an incredible array of opponents, she'd never before been seriously injured. Kagome suddenly realized just how damn privileged she was…and frighteningly aware that her luck may have run out.
 
The nearly-indestructible dragon hide was split open in a neat horizontal cut that bit deeply into her flesh. Bright blood flowed down inside her sleeve; she knew that it would be dripping out over her wrist very shortly. Fighting down a wave of nauseating panic, breaking out into a cold sweat, her hands instantly trembling, she glanced at Kohaku, who was slowly coiling the chain and readying his weapon, coldly appraising her condition. The searing pain kicked in, and she choked on bile, knowing that to vomit now would put her in a very vulnerable position.
 
Panting, she tried to sort through her options and awkwardly apply pressure to her wound while not letting go of her sword. She threw up a barrier; his eyes widened, but then the sickle flew towards her on an easily-avoidable tangent…and sliced right through the crackling energy. Kagome ducked and retreated again, her stomach twisting while she frantically tried to understand why his weapon penetrated her shield.
 
He's human, so spiritual energy doesn't affect him…and the sickle is meant to kill demons, so my own demon-trace makes me vulnerable…damn, damned, damnable!
Your sutra-enhanced armour is also more than likely ineffective.
Any more good news, Midoriko?
 
Kagome fought down the tremendous surge of power that tried to claw its way free, heard her sword scream in frustration as she mentally slapped a leash on him.
 
I'll rip the fucking bastard to shreds!
Shut up, Fenik. I can't kill him…
You can't use your spiritual energy, because that will purify the Jewel shard, and he'll die.
Avoidance it is, then…
Nixie…smarten up! He's gonna kill you!
He's Sango's brother…and being controlled by Naraku.
Let me out! I'll protect you…
No, Fenik…but I've a need for some speed. Can you give me that?
If he cuts you again…
We'll help you, Phoenix. Fenik, stand down. It must be done this way, no matter how hard.
If we have half a chance of keeping him with us, and out of Naraku's physical grip, we can maybe figure out a way of getting that shard out of him without killing him.
How?
I happen to know of a taiyoukai equipped with a really nifty sword that can bring back the dead.
No freakin' way Sesshomaru would do that!
Doesn't hurt to ask.
You're officially insane, Nixie.
Oh, and the fact that I'm arguing with an imaginary sword-demon isn't a clue to my mental state? Quit rabbiting at me, and help, you hound.
 
Ignite.
 
Her battle-sight allowed her to spot Kohaku's intention, and her enhanced speed gave her the ability to both avoid the flung chain and use her sword to knock away the sickle as it came in on a trajectory meant to impale her. The pain from her injury receded a little bit, to the outer edges of her consciousness. The blood had reached her wrist, and was trickling out from under her gauntlet in a very distracting manner. She wiped it off on her trouser leg, but it was immediately replaced with more. There was another flurried exchange of blows as Kohaku pursued her around the clearing, Kagome always on the defensive, trying desperately to stay out of range of his weapon. Once or twice, she missed her footing and nearly fell, but she didn't need to be told that if she went down, that would be the end.
 
Kohaku was fast, strong and deadly…and single-mindedly intent upon destroying his target. With a jolt, she remembered the villagers that he killed all those months ago, how they were struck down with the rapidity of a lightning bolt as they went about their business…and knew that he was only playing with her, waiting for her to make a fatal mistake. He had been extremely well-trained as a slayer, his body honed for battle, and he was again part of Naraku's arsenal. Fuck. Kagome sank into a crouch, her sword tip lined up with his shoulder and watched him keenly. Kohaku readied his weapon, his face immobile, and his eyes calculating.
 
Remember to track his eyes
I know…I can handle the sickle, but that chain…even Sessaki's energy whip only has one end to worry about…
Are you sure you don't want me to
At this point, I'm sure.
Look out!
 
Kohaku moved; Kagome barely had time to twist sideways and dodge the snaking counterweight as it reached for her arm, but couldn't avoid the blade which struck her across the small of her back. The razor-sharp edge went right through the leather and her body armour, leaving a shallow, profusely bleeding cut that had her eyes watering. She stumbled, on the edge of panic. Shit! She collected herself and backed up rapidly, trying to gauge the full extent of this new injury; he dispassionately wiped her blood off on his hakama.
 
Fuck…this is bad…what's taking the others so long? Now the mind-blowing pain in her arm was joined by the throbbing of her back, and she could feel blood leaking under the waistband of her trousers and soaking into her shorts. Terror started fraying the edges of her concentration, and she started really sweating. She used her speed to skip backwards several feet, and parried another blow with her sword, then pushed off to avoid the chain as it whistled towards her. Landing awkwardly, she cursed as he steadily moved towards her, the sunlight glinting off his weapon. She backed up, was distracted by a movement out of the corner of her eye…and he took the opportunity.
 
The counterweight snaked around her ankle, binding tightly enough that she felt it through the leather and her boot. As she swept her sword at it, her feet were yanked out from under her and she landed hard on her injured back, letting out a cry of pain. The sun was blocked, her sword arm pinned, and she looked up… into the eyes of darkness. I'm going to die… The upraised sickle glinted, and her brain shorted out. “Kohaku…” she whispered as the weapon fell.
 
At the very last possible moment, Kohaku twisted his wrist and spared her for a moment longer. Instead of driving the point through her chest to pin her to the ground, the curved edge sliced across her body from shoulder to waist. Both layers of the double-fronted leather tunic were penetrated and the underlying body armour deeply slashed. Kagome's brain kick-started again despite Fenik's ferocious snarling echoing inside her head. The shards…Naraku is after the shards! At that moment, as Kohaku raised the sickle again, ostensibly for the killing blow, she caught a slight flicker of awareness, of hesitation…a chance.
 
Fenik howled and broke loose; silver flashed around her. She swung up her feet and slammed her boots into Kohaku's chest with all the combined power she possessed. The loosened chain binding her ankle fell away, and she was ten feet away in a giant leap, too afraid to turn her back on him and run for it, even with extra `help'. Kohaku lay still for only a moment, then rose to his feet, breathing rapidly. Obviously, the kick had knocked the wind out of him; maybe that was the way to go to defeat him?
 
No…the tainted shard gives him extra speed and strength. You would have to beat him to a pulp to stop him.
I'd be more than happy to do that for you
Not yet, Fenik. Stay close. He left us that opening deliberately, I'm sure of it.
Then he isn't completely Naraku's creature?
He should have driven that blade through my heart when he had the chance, but he didn't.
Shit. You're not going to let me hurt him, are you?
Not while there's still hope…
 
Hiraikotsu!
 
Kagome back-pedalled again as the huge boomerang whizzed in between them, noting that Kohaku likewise moved out of its path, the youth casting a glance at the neko-youkai. He snapped his head back to look directly at Kagome, and from across the distance, she was very sure that his eyes held regret, but then he turned and bolted into the undergrowth. Her adrenaline-assisted strength deserted her, and she collapsed onto her knees, gripping her arm as the full impact of the pain roared through her.
 
“Kagome! Kagome! Are you hurt? Oh, gods…” Sango recoiled at the deep wound in Kagome's arm, her hand covering her mouth.
 
The girl smiled tightly up at her. “It isn't as bad as it could have been, Sango…”
 
The slayer bowed her head for a moment. “I'm so sorry, Kagome, that he hurt you. I won't allow him to do this again. Kirara! Stay with Miroku and Kagome…”
 
Kagome tried to grab Sango's hand, but her blood-slicked fingers grasped empty air. “Sango! Wait! Kohaku didn't…,” but she was already gone. Ignoring the pain in her back, Kagome twisted towards the fire-cat, holding out her hand beseechingly. “Kirara, you have to stop her! Kohaku defied Naraku…” The cat walked right up to her, and carefully lay down with her paws on either side of the girl's body, tucking Kagome under her chin like a kitten. Kagome pushed at the neko's chest, but was then distracted by a low, pained groan. She cautiously raised herself slightly and looked past Kirara's furry shoulder, only to see a very pale Miroku slithering off her back. He closed his eyes for a moment, and then smiled weakly at the girl.
 
“Thank Buddha that you are alive, Kagome-sama…but I fear Sango's intentions towards Kohaku-kun…”
 
“What…do you think she'll do, Miroku?” At that moment, Kirara let out a loud rumble as a large demonic aura blasted into the clearing.
 
Kagome!” She caught her breath; the aura was as impressive as when he fully transformed, but his eyes…his eyes were still golden within the scarlet. He was on her the moment after that, pulling her against his chest, chanting her name over and over…until his one hand came away wet with blood from the slash on her back, and he noticed her dripping hand. Miroku's voice broke the momentary stasis.
 
“Inuyasha, you must prevent a tragedy. I believe that Sango means to kill Kohaku.”
 
“Good fucking riddance! Shit! Your arm, Kagome! Can you still move it?” Inuyasha was horrified by his mate's injuries; his rising panic level had Kirara hissing lightly at him in warning.
 
Kagome grabbed a handful of fire-rat. “You have to stop Sango, Inuyasha! Kohaku…”
 
“Tried to kill you, wench! She'll do it quicker and with more mercy than I would…”
 
She let go of his haori and went for his sidelock, yanking it hard. “Listen to me! He could have killed me…he had me pinned and completely helpless…but he chose not to. Please stop Sango before she plays Naraku's game!” Kagome stopped, startled by the truth that she had just uttered. The hanyou eyed her for a moment, his protective instincts for her warring loudly with his duty to the pack, and finally swore loudly.
 
“I'm still gonna kick the brat's ass for touching you, Kagome, but I won't kill him…and I'll stop Sango, too. Stay here…Kirara, don't let them out of your sight.” He laid the girl back down within the protective shelter of the fire-cat's paws, touched Kagome's cheek with his claw-tips, and then took off, his nose leading him on a direct line into the woods. He faintly heard the clash of weapons, and picked up his pace to a dead run.
 
Kagome closed her eyes and curled into Kirara's ruff. She listened to Miroku's harsh, laboured breathing and concentrated just enough to throw a small barrier over all of them. I hope Inuyasha makes it in time
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
“I had so hoped that you were free of Naraku, little brother…” Sango's voice was very soft as she squared up to Kohaku, her bone katana gleaming in the sun. She hefted the Hiraikotsu in her other hand, ready to use as a shield against his attacks. “So long as that shard taints your body, you will be his creature…and I cannot allow you to suffer like this.” The dark-eyed youth said nothing as he waited for her next move; Sango didn't know if her words were reaching him at all. “Come, Kohaku…the hell-gates stand open for you…”
 
She dove at him, sword raised, and he flung the counterweight at her, tangling her blade, following it with his own attack. Sango swept the Hiraikotsu at a low angle, striking him with the flat of the boomerang, sending him reeling backwards. He nearly recovered his footing, but she pressed her advantage, hitting him again with the Hiraikotsu and finally freeing her sword of the restrictive chain. She saw an opening and struck at his wrist with the flat of her blade…and the sickle flew off to embed itself in a tree, quivering, the chain spiralling out behind it.
 
Sango dropped Hiraikotsu and threw herself at an already off-balance Kohaku, taking him down hard onto his back. She drove her knee into his chest, had the blade at his throat in a heartbeat, and looked into his eyes. There was no emotion; he gazed up at her without recognition, and the first tears blurred Sango's vision. “Forgive me, Kohaku…it's the only way I can free you from this nightmare…” She steeled herself for the fatal thrust, but it was not to be. A blast of youkai, a shout…and then her katana was wrenched out of her hand and thrown across the clearing. Kohaku took advantage of her distraction to throw her off him, and ran for the tree where his sickle protruded from the bark like an odd fungus.
 
Inuyasha swore, leapt after the youth, and managed to bring him down before he reached his weapon. Sango screamed as the hanyou raised his hand, claws extended…but the resounding slap brought her up short.
 
“That was for cutting Kagome, you little fucker. The fact that she's still alive is the only reason that I'm not slicing you into pieces right now.”
 
Sango tore up handfuls of earth in impotent rage and frustration. “Inuyasha! Why did you interfere? This is family business…” she choked, tears streaming down her face.
 
The hanyou's voice was deadly calm, warning her to restrain herself. “It's also `pack' business, Sango.” He twisted a handful of yukata and hauled the teen up until they were nearly nose-to-nose. “Listen up, Kohaku. You have to face what you've done in the past, `cause if you don't, you'll stay under Naraku's control until you're all used up. Then he'll pull that shard out of you before he feeds you to one of his incarnations. Don't let him have you that easily…you were born a fighter, so don't make your sister ashamed of you.” Inuyasha gave the silent teenager a vicious shake, as if he were a disobedient pup, and then dropped him. Kohaku lay still for a moment, then executed a backwards somersault that brought him to the base of the tree. He sprang to his feet, tore the sickle out of the bark and crouched.
 
Inuyasha folded his hands into his sleeves and glared at Kohaku. “If you want to live, you'll face up to the shitty things you've done, but remember…Naraku forced you to kill your old man and the other slayers against your will. That wasn't your fault. Fight him, Kohaku, or you'll lose your soul completely.”
 
The youth shifted, his gaze shifting between the hanyou and the tear-streaked face of the slayer. He seemed about to say something, when a gust of wind tore through the clearing, sending debris flying. Inuyasha leapt to screen Sango, and then snarled viciously up at the hovering white feather, his hand going automatically to his hilt.
 
“Reunion's over… you give good advice, Inuyasha, but the truth is, Kohaku would go insane if he were to remember all his crimes. Let him die in ignorance…and peace.” Kagura had her arm wrapped protectively around Kohaku's shoulder in a mockery of a loving embrace, steadying him on the gently rocking feather as it rose into the air.
 
Sango felt her heart break a little more at the sight of her brother in the arms of Naraku's spawn, and she squeezed her eyes closed as fresh tears slid down her cheeks.
 
After noting the direction in which the wind witch had disappeared, Inuyasha turned to Sango and pulled the surprised slayer into a rough embrace. “We'll get the little shit back alive…I promise. C'mon…we have injured to look after.” He let her go and bounded across the clearing to retrieve her sword while she hefted the boomerang, then offered her his back. “Climb on…we have some ground to cover.” Hesitantly, she slung the Hiraikotsu over her shoulder and gingerly leaned against him, then yelped and scrabbled at his shoulders when he grabbed her thighs and hoisted her up into position. “Geez, hang on, will ya? That thing you toss around weighs a damn ton!”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
“You're not making this any easier, Inuyasha. Just slow down a minute, okay?”
 
“You need to be bandaged up, wench, and the quicker this shit is off you, the better.”
 
“Yeah, well…let me tell you what to do, instead of just pulling. Stop it, or I'll `s' you!”
 
“Okay, okay…” Inuyasha raised his hands in a gesture of surrender and moved back slightly, dropping her quiver next to her obi and sword. He watched, a ferocious scowl darkening his visage as Kagome struggled to slide out of her shredded tunic and once it was off, he reached for her gauntlet and undid the straps. It let go of her arm with a wet sucking noise, and he growled at the amount of blood. Shippo hovered nearby, holding the medical case, his eyes very wide. Miroku was feeling much better; he and Sango sat close together, the slayer's dark head pressed into his shoulder, his hand running through her unbound hair as they murmured quietly to each other. Inuyasha caught parts of their conversation, and knew that the monk was telling Sango of Kohaku's apparent defiance of Naraku's will, and that he chose to not kill Kagome.
 
“I can't undo the buckles…please?” Kagome's face showed the strain she was under; her eyes were pinched and her lips compressed into a thin line. He `keh'-ed softly, and carefully released the three heavy-duty clips, noting that the cut from Kohaku's weapon went right between the closures. This time, he used his claws to hold the material away from her injury as he eased it off her arm. Kagome still sucked her breath in sharply, her eyes watering, but managed a weak smile. “Okay, Shippo…come over here, and we'll get started with the repairs…”
 
The kit was at her side in an instant and opening the case, his tail double its usual size. Kagome squeezed his trembling hand and began fishing for the pre-loaded syringes of anaesthetic. Locating one, she winced as she snapped the cover off the needle, and then carefully squirted out the excess to bring the medication up to the appropriate line. Inuyasha hissed and had to forcibly stop himself from batting it out of her hands when she steeled herself and pushed the needle into her own flesh. Beads of sweat stood out on her forehead, and her lip was in danger of being bitten through as she struggled to concentrate and insert the numbing lidocaine where it would do the most good. Shippo turned green and had to look away. When the syringe was emptied, the hanyou let go of the breath he was holding in a `whoosh' and took it away from her.
 
“Geez, wench…is this the only way?”
 
“Pop the sharp end off into that red case; don't want anyone getting poked with it. This medication will make it far less painful to stitch it closed…”
 
What! You didn't say anything about doing that! Can't it wait until I get you home?”
 
“I don't heal up as fast as you do, and the wound gapes too much. It has to be treated and closed…and it's too deep to use just bandages.” She cast a brief look at the hanyou's claws, then smiled as brightly as she could at the kitsune. “I need you to sew this up for me, Ship-dip. In a few minutes, when the medication takes effect, I'll do the first couple of stitches, and then you can copy me, okay?”
 
Shippo's jaw dropped, and he backed up a few steps, turning ashen before beginning to tremble violently. “K-k-kagome…I don't think…” He was interrupted by a swish of robes, and Miroku seated himself beside the girl, a gentle smile warming his face.
 
“Allow me, Kagome-sama. I have some experience in this art.”
 
She arched an eyebrow at him, but was grateful for his intervention, since Shippo looked close to fainting at the very thought. Inuyasha glowered for a moment, and then reached out and squeezed the kit's shoulder. “Hey, runt. Collect up Kagome's armour and rinse it as best you can. Don't need to be attracting extra attention with the scent of blood…”
 
“I'll help you, Shippo.” Sango knelt beside the kit, and gathered up the gear, then rose and took him by the hand, leading him over to the horses and their sloshing canteens.
 
Kagome watched them leave, then smiled lightly at Miroku. “Okay, houshi-doushi…let's put your embroidery skills to the test.”
 
He smiled back. “I suggest dressing the wound on your back first, since it is not quite as serious as this one…I believe you said that a few minutes were required for the pain to disappear?” She nodded. “Very well; tell me what to use, in which order, and we will begin.”
 
“Okay…first put on a pair of those gloves, then squirt a couple of those saline ampoules to rinse it out.”
 
“Then apply one of these `gauze' pads, some `tape' and bind it all with bandaging? I believe I can manage that.”
 
“You've been paying attention when a certain hanyou we know needs to be repaired.”
 
“I appreciate the fact that you are not being quite such a difficult patient, Kagome-sama.” Miroku ignored the hanyou's grumble, tied back his sleeves, and pulled on a pair of surgical gloves. He frowned briefly at the odd sensation of latex against his skin, but concentrated on laying out the supplies.
 
Kagome sat facing Inuyasha while the monk worked on her; the hanyou held both of her hands in his own, rubbing the pads of his thumbs over her palms. She noticed that while his markings had mostly disappeared, if she looked closely enough, she could see the very faintest traces of blue under the skin on his cheekbones, and a fine rim of red around his amber irises. He waited until Miroku passed the roll of bandaging around her for the last time, then leaned in to place a tender kiss on her cheek.
 
“All right, Kagome-sama…has enough time elapsed that I may work on your arm?”
 
“If I don't scream when you poke me… yes.”
 
He raised his eyebrows, and gently pressed on the skin at the edge of the wound. Kagome didn't flinch; he shook his head. “Remarkable, that such medicine exists to take away severe pain.”
 
“This isn't even the strongest, Miroku. I used far more powerful pain-killer on Sango when I stitched her back together…uh-oh…” She quickly glanced to see if the slayer had overheard her reference to the injury inflicted by Kohaku; mercifully, Sango was too busy with Shippo and the task of rendering her gear wearable to be paying attention…she hoped.
 
“Hm. If I may suggest something, Kagome-sama, in order to make the stitching a little easier?” She nodded, and he continued. “Straddle Inuyasha's lap so that he may hold you still while I work. I would prefer to use a table, or a rock, or even a stump for you to rest your arm on, but both are sadly lacking in our immediate vicinity, so this method will have to do.”
 
Kagome's eyebrows disappeared into her hairline; Inuyasha withheld comment, and carefully pulled her into his lap, guiding her legs around his waist. He wrapped his arms around her, one bracing her hips, the other angled across her back so he could cup the shoulder of her injured arm, and held her firmly against him. She was still blinking in a bemused manner when Miroku gently grasped her arm and guided it. “Take a grip on Inuyasha's haori, Kagome-sama, and I suggest you look the other way.”
 
“You don't have to tell me twice.” Kagome willingly complied, turning her head away and began rubbing the beads of the rosary between the fingers of her free hand. Inuyasha rested his cheek against her head, concentrating on her heartbeat; he didn't really want to watch a needle being pulled through his mate's skin, either.
 
Miroku worked quickly, dousing the wound with saline, opened the package with the pre-threaded needle and set to stitching. “At least the weapon involved was very sharp, Kagome-sama. The edges of the wound are smooth and easy to bring together. It should heal with barely a scar.”
 
“You done yet, monk?” Inuyasha rumbled.
 
“Almost…just let me knot this off…and now to apply the gauze and bandages. How are you feeling, Kagome-sama?” He patted her forearm while reaching for the gauze.
 
“Not bad…let me have a look at your handiwork, Miroku, before you cover it up.” Kagome peered at the neat line of stitching and nodded. “Good work. You'd have passed the Academy medic course with flying colours.”
 
Miroku beamed at the praise, and briskly finished bandaging her arm. “You may release her now, Inuyasha.” The hanyou gave her a bit of a squeeze first and a quick kiss, then stood them both up. While Miroku tidied the medical case, carefully picking up all the detritus from Kagome's era (she was fanatical about leaving no trace), Shippo and Sango approached with some damp-looking gear.
 
“We did our best…”
 
Kagome smiled and accepted the bundle. “Thanks very much…it's better than having to wear it the way it was.” She replaced the gauntlet on her forearm, and shouldered into the damaged body armour, wincing slightly as she buckled it closed. The tunic was another matter. She was about to strip out the bloody liner when she paused. “How far are we going before we camp tonight?”
 
“We ain't camping, wench. You and I are going back to Kaede's, and we're leaving now.”
 
To say she was startled would be an understatement. “But…we're at least three days away…”
 
“I'll get you there by tomorrow afternoon.”
 
She scowled at him. “Kirara…”
 
“No. As the other adult youkai, she's staying to protect the rest of the pack.”
 
Her eyes started to snap. “Shouldn't we stay with the `pack', then? For safety's sake?”
 
“Keh! You need a proper healer, wench.” His tone dropped into a lower register, and his aura flared slightly. “After all the shit that's happened in the last couple of days, there's no way in the seven hells that I'm letting you out of my sight until we're on the other side of the well.”
 
Kagome eyed him for a moment before finally nodding. “Let me grab some rations and a couple of canteens…”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Inuyasha leapt through the darkening forest, his feet barely touching the branches before he launched himself headlong towards the next. Kagome was snuggled into his back, her arms linked loosely around his chest, her head on his shoulder. From the rhythm of her heartbeat, he knew she was dozing lightly. It smelled like rain; the air was heavy with the promise of moisture.
 
We can go even faster, ya know.
Yeah? How much faster?
Ever heard of the term `greased lightning'?
Could we outrun the rain?
Mm. Probably not. But we can cover some serious ground to bring us closer to the well.
Let's do it. Just remember, if we miss our footing, it's this body that takes the fall…
Wouldn't consider dropping Kagome…you, on the other hand
 
His youkai wrapped around them, and then they really flew. He barely felt his landings; it was like his strength had doubled and he covered twice the distance in a single leap. It wasn't enough to out distance the rain, however, and Kagome began to stir when the mist thickened to fine raindrops.
 
“Mmph. Inuyasha...?”
 
“Time to stop for the night, koishii?” He changed the angle of their flight so that he ran, then walked to a fairly soft landing by the end of a glade.
 
“Yes…I'm getting hungry, and a bit chilled.”
 
Inuyasha looked around for a suitable perch. They hadn't brought a tent or a bedroll; Kagome had put on her shredded unlined dragon-hide and wrapped up some rations in her green cloak. He paused at the base of an enormous larch tree and considered one of the massive limbs above their heads. “Wait here, Kagome. I think I've found someplace safe for us.” She slipped off his back, clasping the bundle to her chest and watched him as he bounded up the tree like a brightly-coloured squirrel.
 
In a few moments, he was back on the ground. “There's a good spot up there. Let's eat first, and then we'll make like chickens and roost for the night.”
 
Kagome chuckled, sat down, and began untying the knot in her cloak before glancing around. “It's kind of dark…couldn't we light a fire? I have matches…”
 
“I can see for both of us, wench. A fire will just attract attention, and I'm not in the mood to fight off every demon within a few square miles.” He sat down beside her and helped her to crack the self-heating ration containers. They ate quickly; Kagome started to shiver in the encroaching dampness, pulling her cloak more closely around herself. The misty rain seemed to penetrate her very bones, and her teeth began to chatter. Inuyasha carefully crushed the metallic packaging down to tiny little balls and then flattened them into discs; Kagome stuffed them into the small pocket containing the Jewel shards. He shoved the remaining containers into his haori and took her hand. “Let's get out of this wet, koishii. Going up?”
 
Kagome slung the canteen over one shoulder, took her sword in her hand, and stepped close to the glowing amber eyes. Strong arms wrapped around her, and then they were airborne, rushing up through the wet, green leaves, tiny droplets clinging to her face and hair. The branch they landed on was sturdy and wide…she could tell that much from her boots, which didn't feel like they were standing on a curved surface. Inuyasha guided her carefully until he was backed up against the trunk.
 
She was completely blind in the darkness, and put her entire faith in him. He relieved her of the quiver and canteen; she guessed he hung them over a handy branch. The Tetsusaiga was pressed into her free hand; she held onto both katanas while he tucked her cloak more closely around her, and then brought them both down to sitting. She curled up in his lap, shivering lightly, the two swords propped up against her shoulder. Inuyasha, mindful of both the slash on her back as well as her injured arm, let her find the most comfortable angle, and then circled her with his arms, swaddling her with fire-rat.
 
The shivering faded away, and slender fingers came up to toy with the rosary. He watched her bite her lip. “I wish…we could have rescued Kohaku today…”
 
“Keh. We will. I promised the slayer we'd take him alive, and I mean to keep my promise.”
 
A small smile quirked her lips. “I know you will. Um…sorry about the smell, koibito.”
 
“Smell? What the hell are you talking about, wench?”
 
“I know I must be more than a little rank…demon blood, guts, a touch of miasma, my own blood…your nose must be ready to quit.”
 
“Oi, wench…ya don't exactly smell like spring sunshine, but I can cope. Go to sleep; we've a bit of distance to go tomorrow.”
 
Kagome yawned and snuggled against him, smiling. The beads were rubbed a little more, and then her eyes drooped, her hand sliding down his chest and back into her lap as she fell asleep. Inuyasha smiled at the sleeping girl, tenderly nuzzled her hair, and settled into a state of dozing-while-on-alert, his ears twitching at the muffled night-sounds as the rain settled into a steady drizzle.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
“Hey, Miroku…what are my chances of another bedtime story?”
 
“Slim to nil, my fine young kitsune. Go to sleep. We've had a very trying day, and unless you wish to take first watch, close those green peepers right now.” The monk had Sango snuggled against his side as he lay on his back, studying the pattern of raindrops as they ran down the outside of the tent above his head.
 
“But I'd rather watch you and Sango…I didn't know those bedrolls zipped together…”
 
“Do you wish to sleep outside with the horses, Shippo-kun?”
 
“All right, all right. I know when to keep my mouth shut…”
 
“Then please demonstrate. I'm exhausted, and would really like to sleep before I have to stand watch.” Sango's voice sounded so tired that Shippo instantly felt guilty for teasing his friends, and whispered a soft `good night' in their direction. Once he was sure of their even breathing, he slipped outside to confer quietly with Kirara. The upshot of their impromptu meeting was that the two humans never did have to stand watch in the rain that night.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
The sun was barely above the horizon, pink creeping into the drizzly dawn, when Inuyasha kissed Kagome awake, watched her dark lashes flutter until he could look into her sea-misted eyes, and then was gifted with her soft, loving smile…which quickly changed to a painful grimace as soon as she tried to sit upright from where she was nestled in the crook of his arm.
 
“Ohhh…man, that hurts…” Chuckling, he helped her sit up, and sniffed her discreetly. No fresh blood, so her wounds were still closed. She swatted him anyways. “I heard that…”
 
“Keh! I also heard your stomach rumble, so let's eat and be on our way.”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
“Kagome-sama! What happened to ye, child?” Kaede's single eye was very wide as she took in the girl's badly damaged, dirty, blood-spattered appearance.
 
She shifted foot to foot, grinning sheepishly, but Inuyasha answered for them. “We've had a really shitty week, Kaede-baba. Naraku nearly got Kagome twice in the last few days, and I'm taking her home to rest. I have to get back to the others…”
 
“And ye, Inuyasha! Why do ye now have youkai markings?”
 
“Long story, baba…”
 
“I have a pot of stew ready for ye, Inuyasha, and time to listen to an explanation.” The old miko reached out to squeeze Kagome's hand. “Heal, child…go home and heal. There is plenty of time to hunt shards.”
 
“Thank you, Kaede-sama. I will see you soon.” Kagome bobbed a brief bow, and then Inuyasha ushered her up the staircase and into the forest. At the well, he helped her up onto the rim and then balanced alongside her, his arm around her shoulders to avoid putting pressure on her back injury, before stepping off into the blue.
 
On the other side, he gripped her gently and took them out of the well onto the planking in a smooth leap. Kagome stood quietly, looking up at him in the dimness of the well-house, the dust motes spangling his silver hair in the pale shafts of early-evening sun. She stretched up on tip-toe and kissed him slowly, wetly and very deeply. However, even though he returned the kiss full measure, while her arms were around his neck, his hands only lightly gripped her hips. He broke the kiss and leaned his forehead against hers. “I'll be back in a couple of days, koishii, maybe as early as tomorrow night. I'll head out after I've eaten with the old hag, and meet up with the others as soon as I can. You…” he tapped her cheek lightly with his claw. “…see a healer, and stay on this side. The only reason why I'm leaving you here is that I know you'll be safe.”
 
“Thanks, koibito…don't be too long, okay? I'm really looking forward to snuggling with you…”
 
“Keh…so am I, wench. Just relax and hang out with your mom for a while…maybe have a bath…” He wrinkled his nose at her, and then grinned when she swatted him before stooping for another kiss, and it wasn't a short one. Hugging her carefully, he then kissed her forehead before giving her a gentle shove towards the inner stairs leading up to the doors of the well house. “Go on…”
 
The girl smiled so sweetly and tenderly at him, that his heart skipped a beat, and then he rolled over the rim of the well and back into the blue before he decided that staying with her and leaving the others to find their own way back to the village would be worth the guilt.
 
Kagome, for her part, turned and slowly climbed up the inner stairs, sighing before opening the sliding door and stepping into a lovely, soft Spring evening. She paused on the threshold, closed her eyes and just breathed in all the wonderful scents of the early blooming roses contained within their pots. A light breeze ruffled her hair, and her eye was caught by the long, waving tendrils of the white wisteria that grew over the roof of the storage shed. Her feet followed her vision, and she was wreathed in pale splendour when her mother's urgent voice cut across her peaceful mood.
 
“Kagome! It's an emergency!” Mrs. Higurashi shouted across the courtyard.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
A/N: Out of the frying pan and into the fire…