InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Phoenix Blade: Time Lapse ❯ A Double-Edged Sword ( Chapter 52 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: Don't own…don't sue. Tormenting them purely for my own sadistic pleasure. All characters and most situations owned by Rumiko Takahashi and Shogakukan Publishing.
 
A/N: Dance convention was a success; I am flat-butted and over-fed from the thirteen hour round trip into the Rockies.
 
Bouquets to the House of Noko for their CMA help, and to Del Kaiden for her input.
 
Ouatic-7 loosed the cutest little bronze-coloured sub-plot bunny into the hutch; he has the longest eyelashes and the most beautiful cobalt-blue eyes you've ever seen…hope he doesn't cause too much trouble…
 
 
The Phoenix Blade: Time Lapse
Chapter 52: A Double-Edged Sword
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
Present Day
In the foyer of the Kiku Room, 17thfloor,Tokyo Hilton…
 
“Do you think she's…killed him?” Kogashu glanced worriedly at Sessaki. They were standing in front of the elevator doors, staring up at the floor indicator, which glowed steadily with a `12'.
 
“She was angry enough to do serious damage to both of us.”
 
Kogashu shuffled his feet. “What should we do?”
 
“Assist me. We may have to intervene.” Sessaki set his claw-tips into the crack of the doors; Kogashu quickly stepped up to lend assistance on the opposite side. Of one accord, they heaved, and the heavy hydraulic doors groaned open. Sessaki quickly braced them apart with his own body, and the two youkai looked down the apparently bottomless elevator shaft.
 
“What next…?”
 
“Ieji…give me Lord Yashita's gear.” One tall grey-suited demon took the leather jacket and helmet from the other and stepped forward; Sessaki gave an irritated growl. How many damn centuries has it been, and I still can't tell them apart…? He took the equipment, and indicated that Kogashu should hold the doors.
 
“Sure you don't want a hand?”
 
The taiyoukai fixed the wolf with a sharp look. “I am the cause of this contretemps; it is my responsibility to correct it.”
 
“All right…we'll send down the rescue squad in fifteen minutes if you're not back up here…” He was fairly sure he heard a derisive snort as Sessaki stepped out into the darkness.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
“We…we're about to have company?” The blood had drained out of Kagome's face; Yashita stroked his claws through her bangs and then carefully rolled her bra back into place.
 
“Keh…somebody noticed we were MIA.”
 
“Who…?”
 
“If we're lucky, Sessaki…if not, Kogashu.” At the mention of the two senior youkais' names, Kagome turned even whiter, then flushed bright red. She hesitated for a moment; Yashita reached for her combat vest and held it so that she could put it on without straining her arm. A slight `thump' on the roof, followed by the shimmying of the whole car, had her springing up off his lap. Yashita smiled quietly up at her; she paused and held out her hand to bring him to his feet. The sound of the overhead hatch being pried at froze her for a moment; but then she shrugged and turned to him.
 
“Where's that cufflink? I'll put it back for you.” Her voice was calm, as if this was nothing to worry about. Yashita fished in his pocket and handed her the mother-of-pearl square; she bit her lip as she neatly turned the cuff back and lined up the holes before poking the flange through and securing it, then turned the dog's head so that it was the right way up. Then she slipped her fingers up his sleeve and stroked the hair bracelets. “Don't put that leather band back on, okay?”
 
“I have to, Kagome. What if I have another encounter with the pup, and he notices? Could raise some awkward questions…”
 
“I guess.” She smiled a bit sadly, and reached up to straighten his collar before beginning to fasten the buttons down the front of his shirt. The sounds from overhead intensified; he wrapped his arm around her waist and moved both of them out of the way of whoever was about to drop in on them. Kagome glanced upward. “Do you know who it is?” He sniffed.
 
“Sessaki.”
 
The girl flashed a wry grin and shook her head. “After five hundred years, his timing still sucks!” She stooped and snatched up her gauntlets, sliding them into place on her forearms just as a sound akin to that of a can opener screeched through the small space. Kagome clapped her hands over her ears, wincing, and Yashita flattened his into his hair. He caught her against his chest just as half of the overhead lighting panel shattered all over the floor. Kagome briefly considered diving for her sword, but decided against it. Instead, she twisted and put her back to Yashita, protectively shielding him as Sessaki dropped through the roof hatch.
 
The taiyoukai took in Kagome's crackling aura, the silvered eyes and defiant stance…and was uncomfortably reminded of the day his only daughter told him that she had chosen the wolf prince's whelp despite his furious objections. Now, his young sister-in-law stood tensed and battle-ready, her empty hands clenching and unclenching lightly, and he knew that unless he wished to lose her completely, he would have to tread very lightly. Despite the smell of burnt metal, dust and deceased demon, he recognized the distinct tang of arousal; the discarded tunic and general disarray of appearance only confirmed that he'd interrupted something.
 
He was grateful when Yashita, watching him closely from over Kagome's head, clasped one of her fists, and Kagome wove her fingers with his. Sessaki was startled, however, when ghostly silver ribbons emerged and looped lazily around the couple. Her power recognizes and accepts him…her heart is truly no longer divided… As a peace offering, he held out the helmet and jacket. “If you wish, Yashita will take you home. Your injuries should not be aggravated.” The silver in her eyes receded slightly, and Kagome nodded briefly.
 
Yashita let go of her hand and reached around her to take the gear; the silver tendrils followed him. Sessaki stooped and picked up the damaged dragon-hide tunic; Kagome watched as he carefully inspected the gashes in the tough leather, running a claw along the clean-edged cuts. He finally looked Kagome right in the eye. “It will take some time to replace this.”
 
Her lip twitched. “Dragons are a little hard to come by these days, I expect.” Without waiting for him to respond, she continued. “It's all right; I was going to switch over to my summer cuirass anyways, since the weather is warming up.” A significant look passed between the two brothers; Kagome caught the glance, wondered at it, but knew that they wouldn't tell her if it was related to the mission.
 
Sessaki's eyes softened, and he turned the garment in his hands and held it for her. “Very well. Permit me…” She gave him a very long look before putting her back to him and allowing him to slide the tunic carefully up her arms and into place. Clawed hands briefly rested on her shoulders; she turned to face him. “You have an infection in your arm; I will arrange for the appropriate antibiotics to be sent with the car that will pick Yashita up at the shrine…if you find this acceptable.”
 
Grey searched yellow; she finally gravely nodded. “Yes…thank you.” She began fumbling the buckles on her vest; long clawed fingers intervened, and Sessaki secured the closures for her, like a father buttoning his child's jacket. Kagome raised her head slowly and they looked at each other for a long moment.
 
“This Sessaki regrets his harsh words.”
 
Kagome blinked rapidly before her brain kicked in. He's apologizing? She inclined her head. “And I …was perhaps too hasty in my actions, sir.” A small smile curved his lips, and the tension between them dissipated. She smiled broadly up at him, but decided against going for the hug. Despite the dust decorating his immaculate jacket, she doubted that he'd appreciate the scent of demon guts clinging to him when he went back to the party. After she fastened the clips on her tunic, he handed her the obi, and she was sure his fingers twitched as he watched her secure it with a simple knot.
 
She also accepted her quiver from him and swung it into place on her back. Yashita picked up Fenikkusuken from its spot on the floor but did not pass it to her. Instead, he gave it to his brother; Sessaki extended the katana out to her on the palms of his hands in a symbolic offer to return to both his authority and protection. She looked at it for a long moment, then reached out and gripped the scabbard. She left the weight on his hands for a split second longer, then lifted the weapon and slid it back into place at her hip. She squared up to the taiyoukai, and crisply saluted him. Sessaki promptly returned the gesture.
 
Yashita stepped up to her side and looped his arm around her waist, almost daring his brother to say something. The taiyoukai solemnly observed them, then spoke. “Her power has accepted you.”
 
“It knows who I am.”
 
Sessaki gave Kagome another long look. “It appears that your heart is no longer divided; however, is your conscience up to the task?”
 
“M-my conscience?” Even as she said it, Kagome knew what Sessaki meant. “You mean…being involved with the same hanyou at the same time…” He nodded; she chewed her lip.
 
“Are you certain that you can deal with the emotional responsibilities of moving from one pair of arms to the other, as easily as you travel through the well?”
 
“I hadn't really thought that…through.” She bit her lip and glanced up at Yashita, who responded by pulling her closer.
 
“I suggest that the two of you discuss the issue thoroughly before you involve yourself further with each other at this point.” He stopped, but his gaze was not unkind. “It has been a very long wait for my brother, but you must consider the potential for disaster if Inuyasha were to find out. The decision is yours.” He bowed, and turned to the control panel. A couple of deft jabs, and the elevator doors slid open on the twelfth floor. In the act of stepping out, and restoring his concealment spell, he turned. “Will you join us tomorrow? My daughter has been looking forward to meeting her esteemed aunt.”
 
Get a little, give a little. She bowed. “It will be my pleasure. When should I be ready?”
 
“Yashita will fill you in. Thank you…Kagome.” The doors slid closed, she exhaled, and was enveloped in a hug.
 
Smiling into his chest, she enjoyed being cuddled by an affectionate inu-youkai, pushing Sessaki's concerns to the back of her mind for the moment. “So… you want me to annoy you tomorrow?”
 
“Hell, yes!”
 
She chuckled. “Better give me the gory details, then… oooomph!” All the air whooshed out of her lungs with the second bear-hug, and while she was breathless, he kissed her very thoroughly. Kagome grinned cheekily up at him. “I promise to not cause any more trouble…”
 
“Where's the fun in that?” Yashita's golden eyes sparkled boyishly, and he bent to kiss her again. “Thank you, koishii,” he whispered against her lips. “I've been dreaming of having you with me at this function, since you figured out who we were last December…”
 
She wriggled a hand free and stroked her thumb over his cheek stripe. “What's the itinerary?”
 
“The wedding is in the morning, and they are doing the traditional thing, so no karaoke, thank the gods. Kogashu fancies himself quite the singer, so at least you'll be spared his rendition of “My Heart Will Go On.” The girl nearly choked with laughter; he waited until she settled down, loving the way her grey eyes lit up. “A car will pick you up at 0800 tomorrow…”
 
“Gods…why so early?”
 
“Apparently the omens dictated an 1135 on-the-dot ceremony.”
 
Kagome snorted. “I'm having trouble believing that Sessaki allowed someone else to set the time of this event…”
 
“He's rather traditional, if you hadn't noticed.”
 
She giggled, then stilled, twirling a few strands of his sidelock around her fingers, while thinking quickly. “Yash?”
 
“Yes, aisai?” He purred in her ear.
 
“Do you…still have… your fire-rat…?”
 
He smirked, knowing where this query was going. “Would you like me to wear it tomorrow for you?”
 
“Would you? Uh, wait…will that upset anybody tall and yellow-eyed with poison claws?”
 
“Possibly, but I'll be carrying Tetsusaiga, so I doubt he'll make an issue out of it. I'll even go barefoot, if you want.”
 
“You don't have to go that far…but yes, please wear it. Maybe I won't feel so odd then, at least if you look normal.” He arched an eyebrow at that, and she flushed. “Oh, that didn't come out right! Sorry!”
 
He chuckled. “I know what you meant…I remember the startled look on your face when you saw me that night.” She drummed her fingers lightly on his broad chest; he trapped them and squeezed gently. “If I pull out the fire-rat, koishii, will you be the Phoenix for me?”
 
“Pardon? Armour and all?” She was rather wide-eyed.
 
“Just the kimono, Kagome. You look so beautiful in it, and it will subtly remind people of the war you're still fighting.”
 
“All right…just for you…something else?”
 
“The show'll all be over by about two o'clock, so I thought maybe we could spend the rest of the afternoon together, maybe go out for dinner...”
 
“In those outfits? They'll make blending into the crowd really easy…”
 
“I seem to recall a certain flirty floral dress, with a neckline that went down to there…and a skirt that made your legs look a mile long…and you wore it on the summer afternoon that you let a hanyou sleep in your lap under the Goshinboku. I'd really like to see you in that dress again, Kagome.”
 
She blushed. “With these bandages…?” Catching the look in his eyes, she smiled. “I can wear a sweater over top. I'd love to spend the day with you.” The answering kiss was long and sweet, and he only released her when the elevator began to slow. Scooping his helmet and the leather wristguard, he took her hand and kissed her fingertips. Kagome smiled back and then gave a start.
 
“Yash! You still have ears!”
 
“Huh? Of course I do…oh, yeah…right.” Grinning sheepishly, his concealment spell rippled over his appearance, restoring his dark-haired good looks. As the doors slid open, they stepped over the wreckage littering the floor of the elevator and blithely ignored the open-mouthed response of the attendants. Pausing as the front desk, Yashita gestured towards the still-open door. “You might want to do something about that car; it jammed for no reason and we had to be rescued. Sorry about the mess.” The staff at the desk just nodded rapidly, and they continued out the main doors. “Nice parking job, Kagome. Did the concierge give you any grief?”
 
“He was very polite.” Kagome flashed the employee in question a bright smile, and was not terribly surprised to see him snap to attention. “Hello, there…hope you didn't catch any trouble over my bike…”
 
“Not at all, miss…oh, er,…good evening, Lord Yashita…oh, my…then…you must be…Lady Kagome?” There was a mixture of surprise and awe on his face; Kagome didn't detect any youkai signature on the man, so surmised he knew about her some other way.
 
“Yes, that's me. Thank you for allowing me to park here…”
 
“No trouble at all. Here is your equipment, my lady.” She accepted her helmet and gloves, then they both withdrew to her bike. Once she had her helmet on, Yashita helped her situate her blade across her back, tucking the end securely into her obi. She gave him the keys and then paused while he shrugged into his jacket, straddled the bike and turned the ignition.
 
“How long did it take you to get here?” he asked, adjusting the throttle.
 
“About twenty minutes or so.”
 
He stopped in the act of pulling on his own helmet and fixed her with an incredulous gaze. “What? We're halfway across Tokyo from the shrine! How the hell did you get here so fast?”
 
She slid onto the saddle behind him and did up her chinstrap before answering. “Battle-sight comes in handy in a variety of situations…”
 
He gave her a look out of the corner of his eye. “Keh! No shit. How many accidents did you cause, I wonder?”
 
“Maybe take a different route back, just in case?” Kagome finished tugging on her gloves, then slipped her arms around his waist, fitting herself against him. Yashita put up the kickstand and began rolling the bike towards the street, acknowledging the concierge's bow with a wave.
 
“We won't be home quite that quickly, wench…”
 
“S'okay…just gives me longer to cuddle up to you, dog-boy. Don't rush.”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
As the red bike rolled to a stop in the darkening courtyard, Mrs. Higurashi came out of the house, smiling and waving cheerily. “You two must be starved…Yashita, why don't you put the bike in the shed and come join us for dinner? I've made extra, and I just found out Sota isn't coming home tonight.”
 
“What about Ojii-chan, mom? What if he gets confused and says something to Inuyasha?”
 
Mrs. Higurashi flipped her hand dismissively. “He's already eaten and tucked up with a bottle of sake in his room. If he isn't already asleep, he soon will be. Now, come on, you two…hurry up!”
 
Kagome slid off the bike, and Yashita pushed it towards the shed. The girl took off her helmet and eyed her mother. “How did you know we were on our way?”
 
“I received a phone call from Rin. You have time for a very quick shower before dinner's ready, so scoot, young lady. I've been anxious to talk to Yashita, and this is a golden opportunity to pick his brain. Dump all that filthy gear in the laundry room, please! Shoo!” She fairly pushed the girl into the house; Kagome went as she was bidden, and gratefully unbuckled her boots.
 
Tiptoeing upstairs, she could already hear her grandfather's snores; saying a silent prayer of thanks she shut herself into her room, put down her weapons, and set about removing her layers. Shaking her head over how many times she'd been in and out of it in the last hour, she managed to remove all of it with only a little pain, a bit of creative cursing, and some elaborate gyrations. However, she hit a snag over the sports bra. There was no way she was going to be able to pull it off over her head…without help. She turned bright red at the thought, and pulled on a yukata. Gathering up her discarded gear she ventured downstairs.
 
Detouring by the laundry room to drop off her armload, she followed the sounds of her mother's bubbling laughter to the kitchen. Yashita was leaning up against the counter, one ear cocked at her mother while she chopped vegetables and one ear trained on the door. He looked over at her instantly, a smile lighting his handsome face. She smiled back, a little tentatively.
 
“What's up, koishii? That was a quick shower…” he paused, and pretended to wrinkle his nose at her. “Ah, not quite, I see.”
 
“Mom, can you help me for a minute? I need a pair of scissors.”
 
“What for?”
 
“I can't lift my arm high enough to get this bra off…” She flushed bright red again at Yashita's grin.
 
“Yash, could you…? I have to finish these vegetables…”
 
Her hanyou pushed off from the counter and padded towards her, smiling crookedly. “Step this way, koishii…” He ushered her into the living room and waited for her to slip out of the yukata. She lowered it at the back, but held it up in front, covering her breasts. His breath was warm on her skin, and then the lightest scrape of his claws made her tingle as he brushed her hair over her shoulder and out of the way. A kiss was planted between her shoulder blades and she shivered at his touch.
 
Claws sliced, and fabric parted with a soft rrrrip. Then those same claws delicately picked at the edge of the bandage covering the slash across her back. Abruptly, the bandages loosened and Yashita pulled it away, his fingertips brushing the injury. “This looks pretty good, Kagome. It's healing up really well; you don't really need a bandage any more.” He moved to her arm, pulling down the yukata a little farther to carefully slice away the layers of gauze. “The houshi's a decent seamstress, but this is the one that's infected.” Kagome watched as he bent his silver head to press a kiss just above the line of stitches and then turned her to face him. Amber eyes were soft and dark, and then he lightly kissed her on the lips. “Off you go…unless there's another item of clothing you'd like me to help you take off…”
 
She blushed again, shook her head and skittered upstairs, conscious of his eyes following her. Why am I so shy all of a sudden? I was half-naked and quite prepared to jump him in an elevator a little while ago… darn Sessaki and his `sober second thoughts'
 
The shower did feel very, very good, even if washing her hair with one hand was a bit of a challenge. Again, she felt sympathy for Sesshomaru, and wondered how he managed even simple hygiene. Hmm…maybe I could ask Sessaki tomorrowafter a barrel or two of sake… Towelling off was awkward, and she bit her lip when the cut on her back complained when she rubbed a little too hard. Making her way to her room, the towel clutched around her, she was brought up short by the realization that she couldn't wear anything to bed that involved pulling something over her head. Since that was every sleep tank or nightgown she owned, she was well and truly stuck. The yukata it is…dammit! For a brief moment, she wished for Inuyasha's juban with its convenient inner ties, and then shrugged into the thin white summer-weight garment, layering a dark blue one over top for decency.
 
Returning the towel to the bathroom, she took a deep breath and padded downstairs. Mrs. Higurashi beamed at her, and gestured her to the table. “Just in time…I'm so glad you two are here!” Kagome seated herself next to Yashita, who happened to be sitting in `his' usual spot; he leaned in for a kiss. Mrs. Higurashi sat across from them, and seemed to be having trouble wiping the rather gleeful smile off her face. Kagome eyed her for a moment before starting in on her dinner, and very quickly polished off her bowl while Yashita chatted to her mother.
 
“That was great, mom! Thank you!” Kagome smiled contentedly and sipped tea while thinking about how normal this scenario felt…how familiar and comforting. Once Yashita put his bowl and chopsticks down, she slid her hand under his; he smiled and squeezed back. Mrs. Higurashi poured more tea, and then sent them off into the living room while she put the dishes in the sink.
 
Yashita instantly plopped down cross-legged on one of the cushions, and held out his hands to her. Kagome hesitated for only a moment, and then accepted his wordless invitation, curling up in his lap and nestling against his silk-covered chest. He began purring contentedly, one large hand running lightly up and down her back, the other resting on her thigh. Kagome listened to his heartbeat, just a half-beat off of hers, and sighed, closing her eyes. Why does this have to be so complicated? She actually came awake with a start when her mother sat down on the other side of the low table.
 
“I think someone is a little worn out by all her escapades; Yash, would you put her to bed? We have an early start tomorrow.” We? Kagome wondered groggily, but then that line of questioning exited stage left when Yashita effortlessly lifted her as he stood up and carried her up the stairs. He put her down outside the bathroom and gently pushed her inside the door.
 
“I'll wait while you brush your teeth, koishii.” His voice dropped into that lower register that made her go all quivery. “Don't worry…I won't bite.”
 
She quirked a tiny smile. “I know you're not a neko-youkai…”
 
He chuckled, and she obediently brushed her teeth while he lounged against the doorframe, then followed her into her room. Once inside, he stopped and inhaled deeply, his eyes fluttering closed. “Gods, I love your scent, Kagome…I mean, our scent.” He levelled a dark, smouldering look at her and shut the door. “I think we need to have that talk.”
 
Kagome stifled a very unladylike yawn, averted her gaze and fiddled with the sash of her yukata. “Can we have it tomorrow? I'm absolutely beat…”
 
He let her off the hook. “Of course, wench…come here…your mom told me to put you to bed, and I always do what I'm told.”
 
She snorted at that, and then he was very close, untying the blue yukata's sash and easing it off her shoulders. The white one underneath was pretty much sheer, and she knew he was admiring her breasts under the soft fabric. However, if she expected that he'd just grab her, she was disappointed…or relieved…she wasn't quite sure which. Instead, he walked her over to the bed, and pulled back the blankets. Kagome slid underneath; he tucked them in around her, and then knelt beside her, stroking his claws through her still-damp hair, arranging it over the pillow. His eyes were hooded and intense, and she felt the familiar warm, anticipatory feeling of arousal begin to work its way through her body. Yashita obviously felt it too, because he dipped his head and kissed her softly on the lips.
 
“It means everything to me, koishii, that you would consider being mine before the end of the mission. But…as much as I hate to admit it, Sessaki might be right… the complications could be really, really ugly…”
 
“Wh-what can we do, then? I don't want to have to keep you at arm's length again…”
 
He smiled crookedly and kissed her again, a little more lingering this time. “There's lots of things we can do without going all the way…but I'm not sure my control is strong enough to cope with you being naked and smelling so good and making those sexy little moans…” He had abandoned her lips for her neck by this point and was working his way down to her collarbone. Kagome closed her eyes and let out one of those moans, and his breath hitched in his throat. Yashita pulled away and counted slowly to ten…and then heard the sound of a car pulling up to the house. “My ride, and your medicine, is here. I'll be back in a minute…”
 
He felt Kagome's eyes following him to the door, and he flashed a smile over his shoulder at her. Outside, he closed his eyes and leaned against the wall for a moment, trying to calm his raging hard-on before he went downstairs. Over the blood hammering in his ears, he heard a rather unexpected voice…and then the unfamiliar lilting tone of his mother-in-law's answer galvanized him into action. He was down the stairs in a single, fluid movement and stalking towards the newcomer, his hackles up and a sub-sonic growl rumbling through his chest.
 
Gitoumaru's lips twitched as he watched Yashita put on quite the threat display in the Higurashi's kitchen. He managed to keep his face smooth and non-provoking, instead offering the bag containing Kagome-sama's antibiotics to the agitated hanyou. “Here is your lady's medicine, Yashita-sama. I am ready to leave when you are; Sessaki-sama is anxious for your return to the festivities.”
 
“Cut the `sama' crap, brat. We don't say it that way anymore, and don't think I didn't notice you getting too close to my wife.”
 
The taller inu-youkai held up his other hand palm out, in a placating gesture. “I wished to catch her attention, Lord Yashita, nothing more. Will Lady Kagome be joining us tomorrow?”
 
“Yes, and you'll keep your distance…”
 
“Please stop growling, Yash…Git is not interested in Kagome at all. He knows she's taken.” Yashita was taken somewhat aback by the dazzling smile Kioko Higurashi bestowed on the cobalt-striped youkai…and then realization smacked him upside the head. He smiled grimly, showing a fair bit more fang than usual, and took the bag with its bottle of pills from Gitoumaru's hand.
 
“I'll say goodnight to my wife, and then we can leave…Git.” He retrieved a glass from the countertop and was gone.
 
“My goodness…I wonder what's up his tail?” Mrs. Higurashi wondered, biting her lip.
 
Gitoumaru's cheek stripes crinkled as he smiled down at the petite woman. “I have no idea, Lady Higurashi, but I expect I will be grilled on the way back tonight. Here…I have something for you that I hope you will do me the honour of wearing tomorrow.” He pulled a neatly wrapped package out of his jacket and handed it to the prettily-blushing matron.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Yashita filled the glass in the bathroom, his ears straining to hear what was being said downstairs, but growling all the while and defeating his own purpose. He forgot all about this newest wrinkle when he walked into Kagome's room, and laid eyes on his wife. She was turned on her side towards the door, her grey eyes misty, her soft, full breasts straining against the sheer fabric of her yukata. His throat went dry, and his hands shook a bit, but he covered the short distance between the door and the bed without dropping either the glass or the pills. Setting the water down, he knelt beside the bed again and read the bottle for the dosage, then tipped out a single pill into his palm. “Sit up, koishii…don't want you to choke.”
 
Obediently, the girl shifted and came upright…and the front of her yukata gaped open as she took the dose from his hand and reached for the glass. He gulped, and didn't quite stop himself from ogling. When she replaced the glass on the table and smiled at him, he moved forward and pressed his face into her warm, softly curving skin, leaving gentle kisses in the valley between her breasts and upwards to her pulse. “Lie back down, please,” he whispered, and she complied, her breathing irregular. He carefully smoothed the yukata back into place, and pulled up the blankets before kissing her. Her lips are so soft… “I have to go, but I'll see you tomorrow, okay? Don't forget to pack your kimono; all the other stuff to go with it will be supplied at the hotel…and remember the other dress…”
 
“Please lie here beside me for a little while?” Kagome interrupted his plans for a smooth getaway. “I…can't get to sleep easily without your heartbeat next to mine…”
 
“I remember…” She smiled at him and scooted closer to the wall, which was his usual spot, leaving the one side of the bed open. Gingerly, wanting to be close to her even if he was fairly sure that this was not a really good idea, he slid onto the mattress, on top of the covers, and allowed her to snuggle against his chest.
 
“Thank you, koibito…I'm really looking forward to tomorrow…” Kagome yawned widely and burrowed a bit before falling fast asleep, her fingers wound in his hair. Yashita was surprised at how quickly she dropped off, but was very contented to just lie there and stroke her back for a little while, until he was sure she wouldn't wake up. He ended up cradling her for nearly an hour, and then reluctantly moved away. He watched her sleeping face for a few moments, then kissed her on the forehead and doused the light before slipping from the room. Pausing at the door, he admired her again, and his heart ached a bit at having to leave, but he sternly put that thought from his mind, and began determining how he was going to deal with the demon downstairs.
 
Yashita found his sparkling-eyed mother-in-law chattering animatedly with Gitoumaru, who was answering back with equal humour, and realized with a sort of shock that things may already be too far along for interference. He set his jaw and forged ahead. Mrs. Higurashi smiled winsomely at him as soon as she noticed his presence. “Thank you for looking after Kagome so well, Yash. I'll make sure that we're both ready in the morning; just remind Kosaru-san when you see him tonight.”
 
“Will do, okaa-san. Thanks for dinner. Come on, Gitoumaru; I'm surprised my brother hasn't phoned yet to check up on me.” He started towards the foyer, and was brought up short by the other demon's chuckle.
 
“Oh, Lord Sessaki has already phoned, Lord Yashita. I told him that you were making sure of Lady Kagome's comfort, and that we would return shortly.”
 
“How long ago was that?”
 
“About twenty minutes ago, I believe. Am I correct, Lady Higurashi?” He looked at her for confirmation; she nodded.
 
“Well, we'd better get moving then, or our asses will be in a sling…wait…does Kagome know you're coming to the wedding as well?”
 
“Not yet…haven't really had a chance to talk to her in the last few hours, as you know.”
 
“Right. Good night.”
 
“Night, Yashita…good night Gitoumaru. See you both in the morning.”
 
“Goodnight, lady fair.” The tall demon raised her hand to his lips and kissed her knuckles; Mrs. Higurashi blushed like a school girl and thanked him breathlessly. Yashita seethed as he jammed his feet into his boots and stalked out of the house, nearly forgetting to put his concealment spell back into place as he circled the car and climbed in on the passenger side. Gitoumaru appeared a moment later and slid into the driver's seat, starting the engine and reversing away from the building before turning the car and heading down the access road to the street.
 
They were stopped at a red light four blocks away before Yashita exploded. The hanyou jabbed the inu-youkai in the arm with a menacing claw, growling low and menacingly, “Don't fuck with me, brat. What the hell are your intentions towards my mother-in-law?”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
0730 the next morning came far too early for Kagome's liking, but at least she was warm and cozy in her own bed, albeit without any handsome silver-haired hanyous in the vicinity. At least we get to spend the day together…not since the New Moon Festival… she sat up and yawned, stretching carefully, then noticed the antibiotics on the bedside table. Blinking, she carefully read the instructions and took another pill with the remainder of the water, frowning at the flat taste. It did seem to be working, since the pain in her arm was already receding. She made a mental note to slip the rest of the bottle into her things so she wouldn't miss a dose.
 
Yawning some more, she got up and shuffled around her room, laying out the heavy silk kimono on the bed, poking through her closet for the dress Yashita liked and managing to locate the matching cardigan. She hesitated, looking at her feet. She usually wore soft leather boots with the kimono, but doubted that they would be appropriate without the armour to go with them. Instead, she pulled out some sandals to go with the dress, reasoning that geta would probably be supplied as well as any undergarments that were necessary. She realized that the fastener on the halter top of the dress could be dicey, and was just about to go in search of her mother when there was a knock on the door and Mrs. Higurashi sailed in with a cheerful smile and a handful of trinket boxes.
 
“Oh, good…you're up. You're wearing that dress?”
 
“Yes…Yashita asked me…can you help with the clasp?”
 
“Hmm…it sort of shows off the scab on your back, dear…”
 
“That's why I'm wearing the sweater, mom.”
 
“Good idea…and I'm fairly sure I know why Yashita asked for this particular outfit; you look good enough to eat!” Kagome blushed furiously at her mother's unsuspecting double-entendre and put on the sweater, hissing a bit when the stitches caught on the fine weave. “Should we put another piece of gauze on that? How about on your back?”
 
“No, it's fine…what are in the boxes?”
 
“Your jewellery and combs…must look our best today. Breakfast downstairs in five minutes!” With that, she sailed back out the door, leaving her daughter grumbling about how anyone could be so darn perky in the morning…
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Twenty minutes later, face washed and kimono carefully folded and wrapped, with the medicine, obi pin and combs tucked inside the same bundle, Kagome fidgeted in the foyer while she waited for her ride…and was completely non-plussed when her mother arrived in the same space, all dolled up and carrying a near-identical neatly wrapped bundle in her arms. Kagome gaped. “A-are you invited, too?”
 
“Of course. I'm Lord Yashita's mother-in-law, after all!”
 
“But…Sota didn't come home last night…where is he anyways?”
 
Mrs. Higurashi finished putting on her shoes and straightened up. “He stayed over at Shimano and Kogane's house, since he and Akagane babysat the younger children last night and are doing so again today.”
 
“But… who's going to look after Ojii-chan? He can't be left by himself for the day!”
 
“That is where we come in, Lady Kagome. How are you this fine morning? You look simply divine, by the way.” For the second time in less than five minutes, Kagome's jaw sagged as she met Masa Kosaru's impish look. Her sensei stepped aside as soon as he crossed the threshold, revealing a woman with cropped hair and warm brown eyes. “May I introduce my sister, Shina Kosaru…we are on elder-sitting duties today, so that you may enjoy the wedding without concern.”
 
“Thank you so much, Kosaru-san. I wouldn't be able to attend if it wasn't for your kind offer…” Mrs. Higurashi bowed to the brother and sister; Kagome rehinged her jaw and followed suit.
 
“We were glad to come, Lady Higurashi. Your shrine has so much meaning for our family.” Shina Kosaru smiled, and her resemblance to her slayer ancestress was so strong that it nearly brought Kagome to tears. “Lady Kagome, I have something for you, but I'll wait until your return to pass it on.” For a moment, Kagome couldn't recall what she was talking about, but decided to let it go in the interests of not being late.
 
“I'll look forward to spending some time with you later today. Thanks so much for volunteering to look after my Ojii-chan!”
 
“Don't let him order you around; and if he tries to make you clean out the storage shed, distract him by offering to play mah jong with him. Ought to do the trick.” Mrs. Higurashi smiled widely, and made shooing motions to Kagome. “Let's be on our way; we don't want to be late.” At that moment, a car honked, and the two ladies of the Sunset Shrine scuttled out the door to begin their day as members of the House of the Western Lands.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
“Right this way, Lady Higurashi… Lady Kagome, you are coming with me.” Bemused, Kagome kept a tight grip on her wrapped kimono and followed along behind the dresser. She was not particularly surprised that it was the same older fellow who had dressed her at the New Moon Festival that was in charge of her now, and wondered what type of youkai he was. She was putting her money on some kind of bird… He knocked on one door and after exchanging a few words with whoever opened it, ushered her mother in. He then turned to Kagome and beckoned her down a few more doors, opened that one and she followed him into the adapted hotel room.
 
They were at the Tokyo Hilton again, on a private floor that encompassed suites of rooms as well as ceremonial halls, and Kagome was about to be turned into a noblewoman. Of the success of this, she had her doubts, but she kept them to herself.
 
“Now, Lady Kagome, let's get down to business, or your husband will undoubtedly be kicking in the door to rescue you.” The little man took her kimono out of her hands and swiftly undid the wrapping, setting the small bottle, pin and combs aside.
 
“Are you a bird youkai, Suzume-san?” She enquired as she took off her sweater, and then he was clucking over her injured arm and back.
 
“As my name suggests, I am a sparrow youkai,” he answered, looking at her with his bright, beady eyes. “However, this humanoid form suits me rather well, so I tend to remain in it for long periods. Shall I undo the clasp on this dress for you?”
 
In short order, Suzume had her peeled out of the dress, which was hung up in order keep it from wrinkling, and the first of five layers deposited on her slender frame. This one was a fine-quality white cotton kosode, and then she submitted herself to his hairdressing efforts, handing him the finely-carved combs as he anchored a simple up-twist in place
 
Then he set to in earnest, adding fine silk under-kimonos in shades of gleaming silver and shimmering crimson, all etched with fine black lines in either flame-like or feathery patterns. Finally, he hung the heavy silk of her Phoenix kimono over her shoulders, and began the process of turning it into a neat, train-less garment that she could comfortably wear for several hours. He worked miracles with the obi, tucking and folding the material under it until the kimono was an even heel-length all the way around.
 
Suzume was busy for quite some time behind her as he tied the obi into some elaborate design or other. Kagome hoped that it wasn't one of those starched 3-D roses in full bloom, as the pressure that would put on her back might test the healing level of her injury. He took the circular `dogwood' obi pin and fastened it to the front of the wide piece of silver and black fabric now wound around her middle and walked around her a few times to examine his handiwork with a critical eye. “Lovely, Lady Kagome…and now for the finishing touches…”
 
From a crowded tabletop, he picked up a flat, square, finely-carved box and brought it to her. Kagome took it, opened the lid, and then gasped. Inside was an exquisite hair ornament, adorned with carved pieces of black and red coral, mother-of-pearl and dangling silver petal-shaped pendants. “This is beautiful, Suzume-san!”
 
His bright eyes were sharp. “You have not seen this before, my lady?”
 
“No…”
 
The little man reached over and patted her arm. “No harm in telling you, I suppose; it belonged to the Lady Izayoi these long centuries ago. Lord Yashita would like you to wear it today.”
 
His mother… “It will be an honour.” Suzume took the ornament and Kagome held very still while he anchored it into her hair, thinking about the human woman who had dared to love a demon…and then her thoughts turned to her hanyou, and she smiled.
 
Brisk knocking, as if with the hilt of a sword, made her jump. “Oi! What's the hold-up in there?” Suzume winked at her and scampered over to the door.
 
“One moment longer, my lord.” He urgently gestured at Kagome and indicated that she should follow him to the window. Wondering, she carefully unfolded herself from the cushion she was kneeling on; the dresser quickly knelt and slipped a pair of tabi onto her feet, followed by a pair of lacquered glossy black geta. He then stood up and posed her carefully, fluttering around her and smoothing the rich fabric, tweaking the obi knot. “Now, look out the window, my lady…fold your hands into your sleeves…lift your chin…yes, just like that. Very nice.”
 
She winked at him and straightened up, standing proudly, unable to keep the smile from her lips. Suzume scooted across the room and opened the door. “Enter, my lord.” She heard a sharp intake of breath, and a couple of halting footsteps. She turned her head, conscious of the rustle of the hair ornament, to behold the wearer of familiar red fire-rat with the most delightful stunned expression on his handsome face. Her smile grew a little wider.
 
“Hello, dog-boy.”
 
His face relaxed into a smirk. “Keh.” Yashita crossed the room in a couple of quick strides, catching her chin between his fingers and scanning her face. “Beautiful…” He leaned in for a kiss; when he pulled back, his golden eyes were dark. Kagome reached up to stroke his cheek-stripe, and let her other hand drop onto Tetsusaiga's hilt. They were both startled when the sword vibrated and audibly thrummed a greeting. Yashita covered her hand with his own, his eyes gone wide. “It hasn't made a sound in centuries…”
 
“It was just waiting for the right girl.” Kagome ran her thumb along the ratty-looking grip, and Tetsusaiga fairly sang. She smiled, and whispered, “hello to you, too, old man.” The sword made a noise that sounded suspiciously like a snort and settled to a low hum.
 
Yashita shook his head slowly, and then lifted her hand to his lips. With his other hand, he fumbled inside his haori and retrieved a small lacquer box, balancing it on his palm as he offered it to her. “I was hoping that you would consent to wearing these today.”
 
Wondering, Kagome took the box and opened it. A pair of simple silver-toned bands lay nestled inside, one smaller than the other. Western-style wedding rings…? The unusual `wood-grain' pattern on the metal caught her eye, and she took the larger one out of the box for a closer look. “It's called mokume; they're made with the same lamination technique used for sword blades.” Yashita's breath fluttered over her hair. “I had Totosai's apprentice make them…”
 
“So long as it wasn't Kaijinbo!” She beamed up at him, and took his left hand in her own, then slid the band onto his finger. He kissed her again when she looked back up, then placed the smaller ring onto her slender finger. Kagome held up her hand to admire the workmanship. “Thank you, Yash. Does this mean I'm now an honest woman?”
 
He leaned in to nuzzle her cheek. “It means you're mine, for those not equipped with sensitive enough noses…” His lips dropped to lay a kiss on the bared skin of her neck, and then he leaned back to admire the effect of the five layers of coloured silk, and then made a point of inspecting the hair ornament. The hanyou glanced over at the hovering sparrow-youkai. “You do nice work, Suzume-san…a winged obi?”
 
“Thank you, Lord Yashita…my lady is the Phoenix, after all!” Suzume bowed, and then Yashita tucked her hand into his and they left the room together. Kagome opened her mouth to ask about the `wings' she was apparently sporting, when a loud, appreciative whistle split the air.
 
“Well, she sure cleans up nice!” Kogashu smirked broadly at them, blue eyes dancing and tail swishing against his legs. Kagome gaped; he was dressed in full Sengoku Jidai rig, including the fur kilt, with the addition of black boots that disappeared under his fur greaves. She cast a quick glance down at Yashita's feet, and found he was also wearing soft leather boots. The air around them crackled with demonic power for a moment as red and glacier-blue auras clashed; she shook her head and tugged on Yashita's arm.
 
“Come on you two…knock it off and play nice.”
 
Kogashu grinned impishly and suddenly captured her free hand, raising it to his lips. “Just admiring the one that got away…” Yashita's growl was hair-raising.
 
Kagome yanked her hand back. “Yeah, wolfling…from two generations.” He laughed, and mock-saluted the couple as he backed away. A red-haired vision in white fur and silk glided towards them and gracefully inclined her head as she took Kogashu's arm.
 
“Good morning, Lady Kagome. You two make quite a fine picture in all your silver and red.”
 
“Thank you, Lady Ayame. How is the groom?” Kagome bobbed her head in return.
 
“As nervous as may be expected at gaining Lord Sessaki as a father-in-law…” Ayame smiled, showing her teeth. “He'll really have to shape up now. The gods know his father couldn't make him submit.”
 
At that moment, Sessaki and Rin swept down the corridor, and Kagome gasped. The taiyoukai was dressed in full armour, with both swords at his hip and the white pelt framing his exotically-marked face. Rin glowed in a beautiful golden kimono tied with an elaborate green obi, her dark hair pinned up into a complicated arrangement adorned with shimmering pearl trimmed combs. “Kagome! You look simply beautiful…” As Kagome bowed, Rin touched the ornament in the young woman's hair. “I remember the first time I saw you wear this…”
 
There was a sharp cough, and Rin looked up over her shoulder at her husband, whose yellow eyes were keen. “Kagome has not yet had that experience, beloved.”
 
“Ah…soon, though?”
 
“In due course.”
 
“Something else to look forward to, I guess…” Kagome glanced from one to the other, and then noticed Yashita had gone rather tense at her side. He was looking away from her, down the corridor, growling under his breath. She finally turned her head to see what the target of his ire was, and was startled to see her smiling mother, attired in a beautiful cobalt-blue formal kimono embroidered with bronze leaves and flowers, being escorted by an equally pleased-looking tall inu-youkai in matching bronze silk and a cobalt-blue cuirass. “Mom? Gitoumaru-kun?”
 
The couple came right up to them; Kagome was open-mouthed with astonishment. “Don't you two look nice together.” Unperturbed, Kioko Higurashi reached to straighten the neckline of Yashita's haori and then brush invisible dust from her daughter's sleeve before meeting Kagome's wide eyes. “Gitoumaru is my escort for today's festivities; I'm showing my appreciation by wearing his family's colours.”
 
“Ah, er…um…okay.” Kagome looked between the gently smiling dark-haired demon and her quietly contented mother…and just knew there was more to this than met the eye.
 
“Kagome, would you step this way? Yukihime wishes to meet you before the ceremony.” Sessaki held out his hand, and she took it a bit dazedly; he led her up the corridor and rapped lightly on another door before opening it and ushering her inside. If Kagome expected a squealing flurry of pre-wedding feminine activity, she was wrong. It was calm, cool and refined; a koto player plucked away in the corner of a room filled with flowers in all shades of white. Well, what do you expect from someone named `snow princess'? Kagome mentally shrugged. “Daughter, your aunt has come to see you.” At Sessaki's summons, a tall, willowy creature rose from the centre of a circle of attendants, and came towards them, her exquisite white silk robes rustling.
 
Kagome couldn't take her eyes off the stately daughter of Sessaki and Rin as she gracefully bowed…and then the young women's eyes met. Yukihime winked mischievously, her golden eyes sparkling. “Hello, auntie; it's a pleasure to finally meet you. I'm hoping that Uncle Yash will be a little less grouchy today!”
 
The other girl blinked, and smiled back at the female hanyou who looked only a year or two older than her, was about to say some pleasantry or other…when she realized that Yukihime was seriously lacking something. Fuzzy ears. Her silvery-brown hair was sleeked away from her finely-boned face in a quietly elegant hairstyle, and her dainty humanoid ears were only the slightest bit pointed. As if in answer to her unspoken question, something silver-tipped twitched at the corner of Kagome's vision, and the tall girl giggled as her obi apparently unwrapped itself and waved gently against the back of her kimono.
 
“I wasn't lucky enough to be born with the cute ears; instead, I have a tail. I match Shikoro, anyways.” At the mention of her intended's name, Sessaki gave a low growl, and Kagome was amazed as the girl laughed gaily, wrapped her arms around the taiyoukai's waist and hugged, carefully avoiding the spiky bits on his breastplate. “You know that you'll always be first in my heart, Father.” She was further taken off guard when the icy Lord of the West not only returned the embrace but also kissed his daughter on the forehead.
 
“If he does not do right by you…”
 
“He will, Father, or I will gut him myself.” Kagome's eyebrows were up in her hairline by this time, and didn't come down when Yukihime hugged her as well, grinning cheekily. “How much longer until the ceremony starts?”
 
“It is now quarter to eleven, daughter.”
 
“You'd better take Aunt Kagome back to Uncle Yash, and tell him to find her something to drink; she looks a little shell-shocked!”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Four hours of ceremonial and celebration later, Kagome exhaled loudly and then giggled, thinking about Shimano's humorous speech about the bridal couple's respective families, as Suzume unwound her from the final layers of silk and helped her into her floral dress. He deftly took apart the upswept hairstyle, removing the elaborate comb and replacing it in the box, then brushed her hair out for her. She smiled at the sparrow-youkai. “Thanks so much, Suzume-san.”
 
“You're very welcome, Lady Kagome. Leave your kimono here; I will have it and your other belongings delivered back to the shrine tomorrow. As it happens, we will be seeing each other again shortly.”
 
She paused in the act of slipping off the thick white tabi. “How's that?”
 
He smiled. “It is nearly June, my lady, and you will be required to attend the ceremonial rice-planting ceremony, as well as the graduation of this year's cohort at the Academy.”
 
Kagome nodded. “Right…so long as the enemy doesn't otherwise occupy my time.”
 
Suzume dropped his voice. “I wish you the protection of the gods, my lady. This is no simple thing that you are engaged in.”
 
She handed him the tabi. “Thanks. I'll take all the help I can get.”
 
“You ready, wench? I'm itching to get out of here.” Yashita, now dressed in a dark red shirt and black jeans, came unannounced into the room, running his claws through his hair. He grinned, watching appreciatively as she bent over to slip into her sandals, then held her sweater for her. He kissed her ear and whispered, “Good enough to eat…”
 
She swatted him. “By any chance, you haven't been talking to my mother, have you?”
 
His face instantly darkened. “No…but I will be…”
 
Kagome paused at the tension in his voice, and laid her hand on his arm. “Gitoumaru-kun seems very nice, Yash, and since he'd have to answer to you or Sessaki…”
 
Yashita covered her small hand with his own. “You don't get it, koishii…I'm not sure how I feel about having someone younger than me for a father-in-law…” The girl went white, and swayed slightly; he caught her around the waist and steadied her against his chest. “Sorry…should have maybe broken that to you a little differently…”
 
“Since when…for how long…?”
 
“A while now; he and I had a little chat last night, and his intentions are honourable.”
 
Kagome shook her head in an attempt to clear it of the running, squealing thoughts skipping around her mind. “My mom? Married…? Well…I guess…she's a big girl…why the heck not? Our family seems to have an affinity for demons of a canine-type persuasion!”
 
He smirked and gave her a hug. “If Akagane has her say, your brother's in line to become an honorary kitsune, too.”
 
“You weren't kidding when you described this as `mating season'…”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
I had such a nice time today…I really don't want it to endno blood, no guts, no injuries… Kagome thought. She was stroking her fingers through her hanyou's silver locks as Yashita sprawled across the width of the back seat, his head resting comfortably in her lap, revelling in his presence as the driver piloted the car smoothly through Saturday-in-Tokyo traffic.
 
They had spent a very enjoyable afternoon together, wandering hand-in-hand through the crowds that filled the sidewalks, having eyes only for each other. They had garnered their share of attention, the tall, dark, handsome man with his extravagantly long hair flowing down his back, smiling so joyfully at the pretty grey-eyed girl on his arm that even the cynical were touched by their obvious affection.
 
They had an early dinner at a restaurant famous for its Kobe beef, and were now on their way back to the shrine. She looked down as he shifted in her lap and pressed a kiss to her belly through the fabric of her dress.
 
“We still need to have that talk, koibito…might as well do it here…”
 
“Mmm…another small, confined space…”
 
“Except we're keeping our clothes on.”
 
He cocked an amber eye up at her. “Keh. More's the pity.” Yashita slowly pushed himself upright from her lap and sat back against the seat, watching her carefully. Kagome smiled gently and reached up to touch his face; he closed his eyes and pressed a kiss to her palm. She wriggled closer, and his eyes snapped open again. “We have to decide how far we can go with each other, Yash, so we both know the point of no return.”
 
He snorted derisively even as he slipped his arm around her and pulled her against his chest. “Just touching you, being able to hold you and kiss you is probably too far, Kagome. You'll have to shower and change your clothes just from this contact, because it will be too fresh for the pup to have been involved…and I like to think I wasn't that unobservant.”
 
“No…just trusting.”
 
Yashita shifted. “That's just it. It never occurred to me that you would ever kiss another man…and I'm really not comfortable…with the thought that I'm… sort of screwing myself over.” He was squirming by this point. Kagome tucked her head against his shoulder and listened to his heart beat while his hands stroked up and down her back.
 
“I understand, Inuyasha…” She sighed deeply. “This is going to be very hard….”
 
“And it wasn't already?”
 
“You're right, though. As much as I want to…if we hadn't been interrupted by your brother…”
 
He clutched her tightly against his chest. “I want to…gods, I want to…but I can't, Kagome. This…if we had gone through with it…I wouldn't be able to let you go…which would totally fuck the mission.”
 
“What do you mean, you wouldn't be able to let me go?” She was quiet in his arms, listening to his suddenly racing heartbeat.
 
“My youkai is screaming…to take you, make you mine alone…that would mean fighting the pup for you…and I obviously can't do that.
 
She reached up and stroked his face; sweat was beading on his temples. His cheek stripes were becoming more ragged, and red rimmed his golden irises. “What can we do, then? Not touch each other at all?”
 
He closed his eyes and breathed forcefully. “Only kissing, and a bit of hugging,” he stated through his teeth. “This…this is far too dangerous, and I don't feel like dying at this stage.”
 
“D-dying? What do you mean?”
 
“'Cause Sessaki will kill me if we go any further. Gods, I'm sorry, Kagome…” He buried his face in her shoulder and tried to find his control, which was becoming rather tenuous.
 
“It's all right, Inuyasha…I just wish…”
 
“I do, too. I need to get you home…isn't the pup arriving tonight?”
 
“Yes, he is…and as much as I miss him, I'm just really glad that I had today with you.” He groaned quietly and pressed her to him again before releasing her. They were quietly curled around each other when the car pulled into the shrine gates.
 
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
The house was quite dark when the car parked in the courtyard; only a few small lights were burning in the living room windows. As Yashita helped Kagome from the car, the door opened and Shina Kosaru emerged, closely followed by a cheerfully grinning Masa. Kagome smoothed her skirt and smiled back. “How did it go today?”
 
“Very well, Lady Kagome. Your grandfather is quite the wheeler-dealer.” Masa chuckled, while his sister rolled her eyes.
 
“They decided to have a contest to see who could sell the most of those `shikon no tama' keychains in the shrine shop,” she explained. “My brother fancies himself quite the silver-tongued salesman, but your ojii-chan beat him quite handily.”
 
“He managed to pick off that bus tour, so it wasn't really fair…”
 
“If you hadn't been so busy chatting up those Swedish girls, you wouldn't have missed the opportunity.”
 
Kagome started giggling, and Yashita smirked. The brother and sister quit sniping at each other instantly. Kagome waved her hand. “Sorry…but you two sounded so much like your ancestors right then…”
 
Shina jumped, and looked guilty. “Oh…I nearly forgot!” She ran back into the house, and came out carrying a small bag, identical to the one that had held Kagome's antibiotics. “Here, Lady Kagome. This is the birth control for my lady grandmother that you requested. There are three doses, good for three months each. The instructions for properly administering it are in the bag.”
 
Kagome, instantly sobered, gratefully took the bag and bowed to the other girl. “Thank you so much…Sango will appreciate this.”
 
“Not as much as Miroku, I expect…”
 
The courtyard rang with a resounding `smack', and Shina shoved her semi-comatose brother into the open door of the car. “My apologies…”
 
The driver rolled down his window. “Not to be rude, Lord Yashita, but we are already overdue…”
 
“Yes…be right back.” Yashita took Kagome by the elbow and ushered her into the foyer. They stood very close in the semi-darkness, not saying a word. Then, Yashita cupped her face in his hands, and leaned down for an intense, mind-blowing kiss that was over far too quickly. His golden eyes glowed in his face as he stroked her cheeks and ran his claw-tips through her hair. “Good night, koishii. I'll miss you…” he whispered brokenly.
 
“I'll see you in a few weeks…” She circled his wrists, touched the hair bracelets…and realized she still had on the mokume band. “Oh, I guess I have to…give this back.” She felt tears prick her eyes as she worked it off and pressed it into his hand. He began to back away, when she threw her arms around him and hugged him as hard as she could. “Good night, Inuyasha…”
 
“No tears, wench.” He kissed the crown of her head and gently disentangled himself from her embrace. “Go have a shower before the pup gets here, or you'll have some hard explaining to do.” He blew her another kiss before slipping away; a moment later, Kagome heard the car door open and shut, and then the sound of the motor receded into the distance.
 
She stood in the darkened foyer for a few more minutes, tears sliding down her cheeks, before she got a grip on herself. “Back to reality,” she muttered, and went off to fumigate herself. Kagome padded through the dimly-lit house, and realized that her mother wasn't home, neither was Sota…which left her with Ojii-chan. Masa and Shina had lit candles instead of turning on lights, and Kagome appreciated the soft glow, which reminded her of the oil lamps Kaede used in her hut. She blew them all out, and went upstairs to check on her grandfather. He was snoring peacefully, so she closed his door and crept back down the hall.
 
In her room, she carefully stripped, donned a yukata, took her antibiotics, and carried the dress and cardigan down to the laundry room, noting that her armour still lay in a mouldering pile. She took a few minutes to strip out all the linings and put them in the washing machine to soak, and plopped the dress and sweater into the sink to do the same, then headed back upstairs for a shower. First, she detoured into her room to open the window, not sure which entry Inuyasha would use, and then shut herself into the bathroom.
 
Under the pounding water, in the midst of remembering how good it had felt to be in Yashita's presence, she forced herself to face the truth of Sessaki's words.
 
Going from one hanyou's arms to the other would tear her apart, and she would be playing with fire if she tried.
 
Until the mission is over, I am Inuyasha's. End of story.
Took you long enough to figure that out..
Where the heck have you guys been?
Waiting for you to sort this through without interference from certain biased parties.
I just…wish there was…
The guilt would destroy you; while you have a generous heart, you simply can't try to divide yourself between them.
It's the right choice, but…Yash has been waiting for so long…
Another twelve months won't kill him, but it might do for you. Now, clear your mind, and be ready to greet your mate when he arrives.
Thanks, Midoriko. You know, they really aren't the same pair of ears…
I realize that as well. The pups are so much cuter…
That's debateable.
He's here. Let's have a nice smile.
 
At that moment, strong arms slid around her from behind, and a long-fingered, clawed hand folded around hers, bringing the paired bracelets twisted around their wrists into alignment. Kagome stared at them in a bit of a daze, and immediately checked the other hand for a silver band. No ring… “Inuyasha?” she whispered.
 
“Of course, wench. Who else would jump into the shower with you? Your kid brother?” Fangs lightly grazed her neck as he kissed his way up to her ear, and she twisted in his arms to hug him tightly. He obligingly held her close as the water poured over them. “Did something happen while I was gone?”
 
She released him, and smiled into his golden eyes. “Yes…something did happen…I'll tell you all about it if you wash my hair for me. I have a great deal of sympathy for your brother, you know.”
 
Inuyasha arched his eyebrow at that comment, and retrieved the bottle to pour a handful onto her head. “My asshole brother? You've got to be kidding me!”
 
You try washing your hair with only one hand…and look how much of it he has!”
 
The hanyou chuckled and began to use his claws to lightly massage her scalp. “You're weird, wench…but I love you anyways.”
 
Her heart caught slightly in her throat. “I love you, too…and don't ever doubt that for a moment, dog-boy.”
 
He snorted, and began working the shampoo into the length of her hair. “Why would I ever doubt your love? It's the most precious thing I have, Kagome.” She stilled, thinking about how lucky she was to have his confidence…and glad she hadn't done anything to betray it. Inuyasha hummed a little bit as he rinsed her hair, and then began soaping her up. As he ran his hands slowly over her body, he checked her injuries, and was pleased at how they were healing up. “You'll be good to go in another day or so…what were those funny-smelling tablets in the container on your bedside table?”
 
“The cut on my arm is infected; that's medicine to cure it.”
 
He nodded and ran his hands from her hips up her body to lightly cup her breasts before continuing over her chest to her shoulders and down her arms, clasping her hands and wrapping both of their arms around her while he leaned his chin on her shoulder. “So…what happened today?”
 
Kagome twisted her head to kiss his cheek. “Well, mom and I were at a wedding for a member of the Imperial Court.”
 
“Keh! She must be having a good time, if she stayed while you came home. Nobody's here except you, me, Ojii-chan and Buyo. Was the food any good?” The hanyou turned off the water, scooped her up and carried her over to the nearly-filled bathtub. He stepped in and arranged her in his lap before turning off the faucets.
 
Kagome leaned her head against his chest and toyed with a lock of silver, letting it slide through her fingers. “Well, there wasn't any ramen, but the other kinds of noodles were pretty good…” she trailed off, listening to the steady thumping of his heart, in perfect time with her own…and recognized the gentle reminder of exactly which hanyou had priority over the other in her affections. She sat up slightly and looked him in the eye for the first time since he arrived. “I'm really glad that you're here, Inuyasha. It sucked waking up alone this morning.”
 
The hanyou grinned toothily. “Only waking up, huh? Did you let that stinking cat sleep with you last night, just for the company?”
 
“No…I only sleep with dogs. Good-looking ones. With silver hair and golden eyes. That don't hog the bed and snore.”
 
“I don't snore!”
 
“Guilty of the bed hogging, though.”
 
“I can fix that…I'll just sleep on top of you…”
 
“That sounds comfy…”
 
“You'll be moaning my name too much to notice.”
 
“In my sleep? Hmm…wonder if I could `s' you, too, without waking up.”
 
“You're a sadistic bitch to even think about that.”
 
“I'd kiss you better, though.”
 
“Let's start the kissing now, and skip the `sitting'…”
 
Much later, lying in her bed, Inuyasha curled around her, his breath warm on her neck, Kagome again thanked Sessaki for his good advice and Yashita for his control. I'll find the balance in this situation…I'm lucky to have this support team
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж